[Official] 2009 MLB Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
Any day now, pitchers and catchers are due to report to spring training. In a few weeks, the 2nd World Baseball Classic is upon us.

This off-season featured a lot of movement, and there's still a lot to be done. For instance, where will Manny end up? What about Griffey? Does he go back to Seattle?

How do you feel about your teams chances for this upcomign season? What off-season moves did your team make that you're psyched about, or upset about? Who do you think will win the World Series?

I'm a die-hard New York Mets fan. In the off-season, we plugged the holes in our bullpen by adding closers Fransisco Rodriguez and J.J. Putz, and Putz will be installed as out main set-up guy. we also re-signed Oliver Perez to a big contract, to sure up our rotation. As far as position players, we've added Jeremy Reed to compete with Donnie Murphy for the Left Field spot. We've gotten rid of clubhouse cancer Aaron Heilman, as well as fan favorites Endy Chavez and Joe Smith.

Overall, I think our additions were bigger than our subtractions, and we should have a better season, providing K-Rod does his job, and keeps the team afloat during the month of September. The line-up should be fine, with Reyes leading off, and Ryan Church probably hitting 2nd. 3rd through 5th is almost assured of being some mix of Carlos Beltran, David Wright, and Carlos Delgado, and Reed hitting 6th. Schneider and Castillo would round out the order, and are basically interchangeable there. Our rotation should be improved, with Santana having a full season of the New York spotlight, and Perez and Maine will be instantly improved by having a bullpen that won't blow their leads. Pelfrey is a solid #4 if he can continue what he did last season, and Redding and Niese competing for the 5th spot is a plus.

I'm still surprised that Manny hasn't signed a contract with the Dodgers, but I still think it will be with them that he signs. No one else wants him for what he's asking for. I'm glad Griffey seems to be heading back to Seattle. Hopefully the love of the fans, and the respect of the media will help him a little.

For the World Series, I'm thinking it will be Cleveland winning over the Chicago Cubs in 6 games. The Cubs have an amazing rotation, but the Indians aren't too shabby themselves. If Lee can maintain the pace, and Carmona can step into the #2 role again, their bullpen will win them a ton of games. It's easily the best in baseball.

My I've missed baseball. As a loyal member of the Tribe, I'm not sure what to expect this year. We came into last season a game away from going to the World Series and likely winning it, and now we come in off of a bad season. This is likely going to be somewhere in the middle with us likely contending for a wild card spot but ultimately falling short. As for baseball as a whole, it's never something you can predict. Although i would say Tampa won't happen again, and the Yankees won't make it to the World Series. Seems too perfect to happen again.

You must love seeing that I just picked Cleveland to win the World Series. I don't see anyone else in that division competing with them, and they'll rack up a ton of wins against the Royals and Tigers, giving them a good shot at playing the wild card team in October. Lee-Carmona-Westbrook is a dangerous combination, if they can all stay healthy. That's always the Indians problem. The Yankees will probably win the East (although I'd love to see them win 40), and you're right about Tampa. They'll probably slide down to 3rd behind New York and Boston. I'm hoping the AL West can be a little more competitive this year, and would like to see Oakland and LAA go down to the wire for the division crown, with the loser getting the wild card. Cleveland has a much better picthing staff than all 5 of those, and should be a scare in the playoffs. It's been forever since they've won a World Series, so I'm sticking with them for this bein their year.

The only issue I have with the Central is that a lot of the time a team will rise up from nowhere. The Twins and the White Sox tied for that division last year and no team there is really that consistent. I'm not sure how strong Lee will be this year, but if he's as good as he was last year we could be a suprise division contender. I'll take getting into the postseason anyway that I can though. As for the Cubs, not sure about it. They're a great regular season team but they falter down the stretch.

The only issue I have with the Central is that a lot of the time a team will rise up from nowhere. The Twins and the White Sox tied for that division last year and no team there is really that consistent. I'm not sure how strong Lee will be this year, but if he's as good as he was last year we could be a suprise division contender. I'll take getting into the postseason anyway that I can though.

The Twins are perennial contenders, but I don't know how they can continue to pull it off. Carlos Gomez is goign to be great as a leadoff hitter for them if he can quit swinging at bad pitches. Morneau and Mauer are the best at their positions, in my opinion, but where else are they going to get consistent offense from? Something happened to Liriano last yeay, as he was just awful. If he returns to where he was, they could be a serious contender. The White Sox aren't going anywhere. They'll be good, but they're like the Blue Jays. They'll win 80-90 games, but never really compete for anything. The Tigers have to fix whatever broke last year before I'll consider them. The Royals...Well...Let's just say these aren't my father's Royals.

As for the Cubs, not sure about it. They're a great regular season team but they falter down the stretch.

They're too stacked in the rotation to not make it far in the playoffs. Zambrano-Harden-Dempster (if signed)-Lilly is a formidable playoff rotation. They're bullpen is about as stacked, with the exception of Heilman. The moves they made this off-season will help their offense a ton, and their defense is under-rated, especially with guys like Lee, Miles, Fontenot, and Fukodome in the field. They'll have a tough time winning the division, but I see them making a good run to the World Series.

Opening day cant get here fast enough for me. I hate this time of year for sports, I really dont care about basketball or hockey until the playoffs and college basketball Im not a huge fan until tourney time so its just a boring time for me. Im a Tigers fan and my expectations arent high this year which is the complete opposite of last year.

Ive never been more disappointed in a team than I was in the Tigers last year. Everybody around here was talking World Series and they finished in last place, pathetic. But I do think we have potential. If Bonderman returns healthy like he was in 06 and 07 and Verlander can return to form, Verlander-Bonderman-Galaragga is a pretty solid top of the rotation if that happens. Our bullpen will still be an issue but Zumaya says he hasnt felt this good since 06 when he took the league by storm and they signed Brandon Lyon who could be a welcome addition. We also have the top relief pitching prospect in the minors in Ryan Perry. The guy has a nasty 99mph four seam fastball to go along with a nasty curve and splitter. So he could make an impact at some point in the year. The bullpen blew 26 games after the 6th inning last year quite a few by Jones and Farnsworth both of whom arent on the team so even if they cut that number in half we'll be alright

Offensively we could be in trouble but last year every player on the team had a down year with the exception of Granderson and we still finished 3rd or 4th in the league in runs so if they get their shit together our offense could be pretty formidable.

But I think the biggest improvement on the team is defense. We now have Inge at 3rd and Everett at SS, two guys that arguably have the most range in the league at those respective positions. Last year we had Guillen and Renteria there, two guys who had no range and were major liabilities. I cant tell you how many balls got by them that Inge and Everett will gobble up this year. Its gonna help our pitching staff big time.

With that said Im not expecting too much I think we can finish around .500 but if and its a big if our guys play like they showed they are capable we could very easily contend for the division. The Central has a history of teams coming out of nowhere, last year it was the White Sox after finishing 4th the year before, 2 years ago it was the Indians that I believe also finished 4th the year before and 3 years ago it was the Tigers who finished last the year before that so anything can happen.

Over the next few days or so depending on my schedule i'm gonna preview each division and how i think each team will finish.

For starters i will analyze the division with the World Champs, the Philadelphia Phillies.

NL East

1. Philadelphia Phillies : The defending champs are getting ready to head out on a journey that no one since the 2000-2001 Yankees have done, make it to 2 consecutive World Series. They have the pieces in place to make a good run at it. I think the biggest positive for this team is that return virtually the entire roster from the 2008 team. The lone significant change is the signing of Raul Ibanez, who replace long time Phillie Pat Burrell. To me i'm not crazy about this moves as the first 5 guys in their lineup may all hit from the left side. On a positive note they avoided arbitration with a multitude of players including Ryan Howard, Cole Hamels, Jayson Werth, Shane Victorino, Ryan Madsen, and Joe Blanton. This keeps this team intact for a few mmore years and i think will prove to be very beneficial to locking up Howard and Hamels for three years each which makes them happy. The loss of J.C. Romero for the start of the season will hurt this team. The biggest concern for the Phillies this offseason is the reab of all star Chase Utley. All indications point to he could be ready to go for Opening Day, a definite plus for this team. The Phillies probably bring the best offense to the National League, with a very deep lineup loaded with power and speed. The biggest concern as always for this team will be pitching. Can they get enough from their rotation outside of Cole Hamels? Surely Brad Lidge can't have a repeat of last year, can he?

Come September this will be a club competing for the division or atleast a Wild Card spot. In the National League, to quote Jimmy Rollins, "this is definitely the team to beat."

Forecast: NL East favorite, Wild Card contender, Playoff Bound

2. New York Mets : A team who has fallen flat on its face in September two years in a row. Biggest offseason concern fr this team, atleast at first glance was the bullpen, which they bolstered with Rodriguez and Putz. However, this is an aging team at first and second, as well as question marks at a corner outfield spot. This team does however have David Wright, Jose Reyes, and Carlos Beltran. Three guys who can yearly be counted on for great seasons, but they are and will be measured on what they do in September. This is a club with in my opinion the best starting pitcher in the game in Johan Santana. The rest of the rotation in Perez, Maine, and Pelfrey are nice compliment pieces. This is a club who will be in the playoff hunt come September again, lets see if they can change their fortune.

Forecast: NL East contender, Wild Card contender

3. Florida Marlins : A young group of basically kids who in my opinion will show that they like past Marlins teams can compete with a small payroll. This team obviously starts with Hanley Ramirez, who is an elite player in all of the game. This team also got very good production out of Uggla and Canu last season, and they are gonna need to have a repeat performance to contend in this division. The biggest question for this team will be if their young pitching can continue to grow and stay healthy, as they are very talented. This is not a team who can go out at the trade deadline and acquire a piece needed to put them over the top, so they are going to depend on theie roster heading into Spring Training and their farm system.

Forecast: Wild Card contender

4. Atlanta Braves : This could be the first time in what seems forever that this team may not have atleast one of Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz on it. Maddux has retired. Smoltz has gone to the Red Sox. And Glavine is a ?. Too add to that the loss of Tim Hudson for the year is really going to hurt this team. However they did add starting pitching in Derek Lowe via free agency and Javier Vazquez via trade. Jair Jurrjens, is a young good looking starter who will give this team a good top of the rotation. As for the offseason, this team is still anchored by Chipper Jones, who is heading into the last year of his contract. Can he be expected to hit like he did last year? Brian McCann remains one of if not the best offensive catcher in the game. Jeff Franceour needs to return to form for this team. Young SS Yunel Escobar showed he is capable of performing, but was hit with injuries. This team will need big performances from its big names to compete this year.

Forecast: Possible Wild Card contender

5. Washington Nationals : Losing out on Mark Texeira is the least of this teams concerns. This team faces big questions at virtually ever position from sp to closer, to almost every spot in the lineup with the exception of third and first base. Adam Dunn will add some pop to this lineup that features Ryan Zimmerman but it is just not going to be enough. This is a team that needs aot of work still and it will show.

Forecast: NL East bottom feeder.

Up next....NL Central

NL Central

1. Chicago Cubs : A team that basically led the Central from start to finish last season, obtained the best record in the NL, and only to see themselves getting swept out of the divisional round of the playoffs by the one manNY show led Dodgers. This is a very compete team in all aspects. Adding Milton Bradley is a big move if he can stay healthy and not go off the deep end. He will be in a lineup that may likely go Alphonso Soriano, Ryan Theriot, Derek Lee, Aramis Ramirez, Geovany Soto, Bradley, Fukodoma, Miles. Very deep lineup featuring speed, and alot of home runs. They return a deep pitching rotation led br Carlos Zambrano, Ryan Dempster, and Rich Harden. They will replace Kerry wood with Kevin Gregg as closer. They also have a very good deep bullpen. A team loaded with talent yet faces alot of questions.

Will they go get Jake Peavy?
Can Bradley and Soriano stay healthy?
Can Soto and Theriot have repeat years?
And most importantly...
Can they break the curse???

Forecast: NL Central favorite

2. St. Louis Cardinals : This is a team in my opinion that features the best player in the game, Albert Pujols. Any team with him is gonna have a shot to compete. The loss of Troy Glaus at the start of the season will hurt this team, and they will need someone to fill his spot until he gets back. Ankiel, Duncan, and all star Ryan Ludwick will all have to perform to help Pujols out. Chris Carpenter returns to the rotation and this team definitely needs him to stay healthy to help out Adam Wainwright, Kyle Lohse, and Joel Pinero. One of the brothers Molina is a staple behind the plate. This team still starts and ends with Albert Pujols, but he can only get the so far and will need some help.

Can Ludwick repeat last season?
Can Carpenter stay healthy?
Will they get anything out of Mark Mulder?
What kind of stat line is Albert Pujols gonna put up with a healthy elbow or shoulder?

Forecast: Long shot Central contender, decent Wild Card contender

3. Milwaukee Brewers : Replacing CC Sabathia and Ben Sheets is gonna be daunting task to say the least. Can a rotation featuring Bush, Parra, Suppan, Looper, and Gallardo replace their production, probably not. If this team is gonna compete they are gonna hae tohit their way their. They do have a strong lineup featuring Ryan Braun..a guy i think is a monster, Prince Fielder, JJ Hardy, Corey Hart, and Mike Cameron. Something tels me the long ball is gonna be key for this team. Adding Trevor Hoffman to the back end of the bullpen should help them in close games. If this team is n contention come mid season look for them to pull the trigger on another big trsade..maybe Jake Peavy.

Can they somehow replace Sabathia and Sheets?
Can they repeat that September magic?

Forecast: Possible Wild Card contender.

4. Houston Astros : This is a team with alot of holes as well and could they be addeing short stop to that list with Miguel Tejada's recent troubles? This is a team with major ??'s at third base. Michael Bourn needs to mature for this team to have a shot at competing. Who will be this teams catcher this season and in the future? Jose Valverde is still a very good closer and will have to show that this season. Roy Oswalt is a work horse who will need help from the other 4 sp's. Also, kudos to him for stepping up and commenting how he did on the Arod situation. With a team facing serious questions they still have a lineup featuring the big puma Lance Berkman, Carlos Lee, and Hunter Pence that will put runs on the board.

Forecast: long shot Wild Card contender

5. Cincinatti Reds : A team no longer with Adam dunn in the middle of the lineup and no longer a team depending on offense as much. They are deep at the sp spot with Aaron Harang, Edison Volquez, Bronson Arroyo, and Johnny Cueto. If they can all throw to expectations they can be a pain in the ass to alot of teams. They got a lineup featuring Brandon Phillips, probably the second base second basemen in the NL behind Chase Utley, Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, and Edwin Encarnacion. In reality that is not enough to compete with the Cubs but this is a team that is building in the right direction.

Forecast: Maybe next year

6. Pittsburgh Pirates : Atleast you people in Pittsburg have the Steelers still. To be honest this is a bad team that needs considerable work. Nate McLouth had a very good year but dd he have a carrer year and now done or is it the start of something big. Ryan Doumit showed signs of being a good catcher for years t come. This is a tea tht needs alot of pitching help. They can be competitive but they still need a lot of work.

Forecast: Maybe next year

Up next....NL West

My team sucks this year. I am a Blue Jay fan and what do I have to look forward to this year? We lost our second best pitcher, we didn't gain much this year, and we have players that will be gone that our important to our team. The Yankees have reloaded this year looking for a win in October. The Red Sox are as hot as ever. The Rays proved why having a young team can make you great and... well... Baltimore is horrid.

I don't know what you see in Cleveland, they lost Sabathia and they were bad last year. Losing their most consistent pitcher should make them worse.
The mets added K-Rod but I believe he'll struggle, his fastball is getting slower, that would make his cutter/ slider less effective and I believe there rotation is still so-so.
Now for my Pirates, they suck, Alvarez is still fat, we still wont call up McCutchen and our pitching still sucks. Each pitcher has a shot arm and our pen still sucks.
Now for my WS pick, I got Philly and Boston with Boston winning.

Full review will come later.

K-Rod doesn't have the stuff he had 2 seasons ago, but he won't need it. He's switching to the National League, which is proven to be a big help. Last year, he learned to pitch more than throw, and that will help with the longevity of his career. Except for the Phillies, the division isn't as strong as it once was, so that will help also. If something happens to where he does falter, we still have J.J. Putz, and that's just scary. He's got great stuff, and will definitely sure up the back end of the bullpen.

Wow, baseball's been gone too long. I can't wait for Opening Day. And as a loyal Rangers fan, I have a lot to look forward to. Our pitchers suck. That will change slowly this season. Other than that, everything we have is good.

Our two main pitchers, Kevin Millwood and Vicente Padilla, are going into contract years. This year, we expect the best that these two have to offer. We have a young pitcher by the name of Matt Harrison. Watch for him. He came up towards the end of last year. He pitched like a regular young kid. Good one day, bad the next. But this year, he should be, maybe the best pitcher on our team. He's been in our farm system for a few years. We got him in the Teixeira trade to Atlanta. Our farm system is the number one ranked farm system in the league. It's loaded with pitchers. Watch out in 2010 and 2011.

Our infield is great. With Young moved to third, he makes room for another young kid, Elvis Aundres. He's incredibly young and has great potential. I've seen him play a few times, and I like him. His arm's a little wild, but that'll fix itself with time. Second year player, Chris Davis is our firstbaseman, I believe. It's either him or Blalock. I like Davis more, but Blalock might start, in case he has a good first have so we can trade him. At second, we have the amazing Ian Kinsler. Look for him in the MVP voting and a few other awards. This guy's good.

In the outfield we have Hamilton and scrubs. However, sometime this year, a kid named Julio Bourbon should be up. He'll be put in center and Hamilton will be moved to right. Bourbon has a lot of potential. He's supposed to be real ggod. I think we got him in the Teixeira trade, but I wouln't bet on it. Also, the Rangers seem to think Nelson Cruz has something to show. Apparently, they like him. He'll be batting cleanup on Opening Day.

Look for the Rangers to be a sleeper in the AL West. I don't see them going far in the playoffs if they do win the AL West, however. But 2010 and 2011 are the years we Rangers fans are anxiously awaiting. That will be exciting.

I cant believe Alvarez looks like a fat slob
pedro.jpg

Anyways, I do have some good news though, McCutchen reported to camp 10 pounds heavier, which is a good sign because it is ten pounds of muscle not fat.

The Pirates have some questions heading into Spring training, like who will step up and be a leader? Last yr Mientkiewicz was our leader, but he is now a free agent. If i want someone to step up and lead I want Doumit to do that. Doumit became close with Doug last year, hopefully Doug's personality, and leadership rubbed off on him.

Doumit as a player was in a groove last year, his fielding improved behind the plate, he stayed healthy, and his injury last year wasn't his fault.

Also we have three players who are recovering from offseason surgery, those players are Jeff Karstens, Freddy Sanchez ( Guys a beast, but the fucktard can't stay healthy) and Brandon Moss. I actually like Moss, i think he can hit at PNC park because the field plays to his strengths.

Anyways, we enter 2009 with a lot of questions, most questions will be answered by opening day, and if not by opening day they'll be answered by the all star break.

Our team has some pieces, but not enough to compete, with all of our "high" profile trades last year, we got a little younger. Hopefully we draft a SS because Wilson is tailing off and we dont have one in the minors. Most positions we should be set.

When Alvarez is ready he should be our first baseman of the future, Andy Laroche should be our third baseman of the future. That leads Neil Walker without a position but with his talent i believe he can find a place on the field. Probably not this year but he should be up in the Majors by next years.

Anyways, I see us finishing in last place.

With Doumit and McLouth in the line-up, the Pirates should be able to steal a few wins, and possibly avoid the Central cellar. They have holes, and lack leadership, but those are both things that can be ironed out in the spring. I don't see them finishing above anyone, other than Cincinatti, but I don't think they'll be the worst team in the league, like most people.

McLouth should continue what he did last year, both behind the plate, and in the field. He could be a perennial all-star, and could be the leader they're looking for.

Doumit is a great player, and is vastly under-rated, mostly for the fact he plays in Pittsburgh. If he keeps up his bat for the next season or two, he'll be very well known. That could be a problem for Pittsburgh, who probably won't be able to afford to keep these guys around much longer.

There's a ton of players backing out of the WBC, and this can only do good things for the MLB season.

Since a lot of major names are backing out, they'll be fresher for the length of the season, and give their teams more of what they're paying for. Most of the guys participating are second tier players, so they won't have as much of an impact.

I'm all for the World Baseball Classic being played, but I prefer it to be closer to the Olympics style, with mostly college and minor leaguers playing for their countries. This way, it doesn't take anything away from the major league level, but still gives the fans a tournament worth watching. It also gives the players from the minor leagues and college levels a chance to make a name for themselves, and boost their career opportunities.

I have to agree with you about the WBC. NOw from a position players standpoint why go and play in those games where you get maybe 3-4 at bats as opposed to spring training where you can take as many hacks as you want in bp. You'll still get anywhere between 2-4 at bats in a spring training game depending on how close you are to the regular season starting. I think spring training is a building process and as you go you build. When you are getting in these WBC game you could get hurt cuase your body isnt ready yet, or you could do damage in one of them games and not know it and down the road have it affect you and your team when it really matters during the regular season.

AS far as pitchers are concerned. If i'm a Manager of an MLB team or an owner i'm doing everything in my power to keep my guys away from the WBC. The goal of everyteam every year is to atleast make the playoffs. In the case of some teams its the World Series or bust. If you make it to the World Series you are looking at the good possibility of going well over 200 ip's for the year. If you add in 3-4 WBC starts that number only goes up. Its important to protect your pitchers early in the year so they are strong at the end of the year as pitching is vital to postseason success.

Let minor leaguers and college juniors and seniors play in the WBC.

Mod Edit - Formerly titled: MLB's Trade Deadine is Looming. Discuss everything pertaining to the 2009 Baseball Season in here.

I'm sitting here watching ESPN, stunned at the idea of Halladay being traded away from Toronto. It's because he'll be a free agent after next season, but I still don't agree on either end about this. Halladay is going to want money that the Jays can't afford. Why? Yes, he's a great pitcher, and is heading towards being an all-time great. But, why risk leaving a team that has brought you all this, and where you can continue to be a star, and still have a great career? The team should not want to trade him, because they will never contend without him. As I've said, he's among the best in the game, and they need him to bring in fans, as well as keep up with the Yankees, Sox, and Rays. Even the Orioles are closing the gap behind them.

My favorite team, the New York Mets, would be a great fit, so if he has to be traded, I hope we'd be in the market. We don't have a whole lot to give up for him anymore, but injuries have decimated us, and starting pitching is an area in need of an upgrade.

We could also use a slugger to drop in to the middle of the line-up while Delgado and Beltran are hurt, but can also come off the bench when they're healthy. I'm guessing this would have to be a corner outfielder, probably in the mold of Brad Hawpe, Mark Teahen, or Nick Swisher (if the Yankees decide to move him).

What do you think of the Halladay ordeal? Who's your team, and what do they need?

Before the White Sox game today, I saw Ozzie Guillen give his opinion on Doc Halladay. He pretty much said that we would love to have him, but we can't afford him. I agree wholeheartedly with Ozzie. Halladay will be a huge addition to any team, but what will they have to give up not only to get him, but to re-sign him? The White Sox can't deplete their minor league rosters for him, which is what it would take for them to get him. So for the team that trades for him, I expect 4 or 5 prospects, or 2 ML players going and a minor leaguer to be named later.

Biggest concern right now for the White Sox, is either finding a consistent man to play center and produce with the bat, or another pitcher on the roster. Buerhle, Danks, Floyd, and Contreras are a hell of a rotation to start with, and the bullpen has been solid all year. But I am not sold on Clayton Richard right now. He is very up and down, and it doesn't appeal to me. Another arm, either in the pen or the starting rotation would help significantly, and when Bartolo Colon gets back, it would only help him have more rest. If they get another arm in the pen, it could maybe give us a chance to see Aaron Poreda as a starter, which I look forward to a lot. Of possible pitchers, I don't know, I haven't looked as I just got home from work. Once I get some sleep I will have a realistic possibility.

Actually, another arm is the best way to go if this could possibly work. In the field, Quentin in left, Pods in center, Dye in right, Beckham at 3rd, Ramirez at SS, Getz at 2nd, Konerko at 1st, and AJ behind the plate. Plus when Ozzie feels they need a rest, Castro for AJ, Nix for Ramirez or Getz, Fields for Konerko or Beckham, Wise and Anderson for the outfield. Just thinking of the possible ways the line up could look gets me excited. Have to admit, that is a pretty stacked lineup, both power and smart ball qualities depending on who is in the lineup. Can't forget about Thome as D.H. For his age he is still a bad man with a bat.

For Toronto to give away Roy Halladay, they would want at least 6 minor league prospects. They would want 2 of those to be top pitchers in your farm system that they can control. So really there is no point in giving away 6 top guys for 1 pitcher.

I do however feel that my favorite team (NYY) should go out and get a god pitcher. Wang is hurt and when he comes back, he just isnt gonna cut it. I dont want them calling anybody up from AAA, because the best pitcher Scranton has got is Kei Igawa and he is 7-3.

They need to go out and get someone that can give them innings and in a good starter in the 3 or 4 spot. They need someone like Jason Marquis from Colorado, he is one of their mid-rotation pitchers, and he is 11-5.

Go Yankees

Considering the Pirates have already traded away McLouth, Morgan, Hinske, and Burnett there isn't much more for us to do. There have been talks of Freddy Sanchez being dealt. I think he'd be a great addition to a playoff contender. He'll give you a .300 average and 30 doubles a year.

There has also been talks of Adam LaRoche to the Giants. Hopefully we'll be able to deal him. He's been pretty much a complete flop over since he's come to the Pirates. He's having is best season this year, but he's still not on pace for 30 homers. I would be very happy with if we traded him and got anything close to a good player back.

As a Braves fan, I'm not expecting to sell. We're locked in with New York now, so I couldn't see us selling. At the same time I doubt we make any major moves. We need another bat, but we already went out and grabbed McClouth. Our pitching is really soid, maybe we'll add another set up man. I'd expect that would be our biggest move.

As far as Halladay goes? I don't see him moving. If he went anywhere, I'd have my money down on Chicago. The Cubs were in the hunt for Jake Peavy, and although that didn't work out I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a move for Halladay.

Other than that? Hopefully Tampa and Texas add some bullpen help, Giants and the Rockies are in the thick of their races. It'll be fun to watch unfold. Adam Dunn and Nick Johnson will probably be traded.

The thing is with all the teams in contention (maybe 6 that are purely out of it) it will be interesting to see if those 6 teams are raided or if other teams decide to hop in the seller's market OR if there is only 2-3 prizes to go around and we'd see a very inactive trade deadline.

I will be surprised is Halladay moves. The Blue Jays will probably ask for too much, since they aren't too far back in the hunt and he is one of the top 3 starting pitchers in baseball today.

Another name I've heard floating around is Matt Holliday. He was just traded in the off-season, but the A's aren't doing very well and we all know how they love to not spend money. There have been rumors of him going to my Cardinals. It would be a good deal as we would get a solid bat to protect Albert, but we are already rotating 3 or 4 guys in the outfield, so that may get interesting.

Well, Halladay is my favourite player of all time. Him leaving my favourite organisation would be heart breaking for me. I still cheer for Delgado after he left from Toronto. But I do believe that Halladay will find a way to stay with the blue birds. he loves the city, opting out of playing for his country on several occasions to instead play for his city. He is an adopted son, not just in T.O., but all across Canada. We love him, and in return he loves us. Toronto will muster the money to pay for him, as he is what draws fans to the game here.

Ya, here in Canada, as a Blue Jays fan, it would be a travesty to see Roy "Doc" Halladay get traded. But you know what, the man has never played playoff ball and he is the most deserving right now of playing for a championship. We know he deserved better and most of us would be heartbroken for him to leave, but also happy if he goes to a contender.

Halladay himself said he wants to win, but he wants to win in Toronto. He said money won't be a factor in is decision to come back when he reaches free agency, he wants to see that JP is building a contender. This man is genuine. He wants to stay here and wants to win in Toronto. You can't ask for more than that from a player.

I don't think he will get traded, to be honest. Yes they will listen to offers because you never know what's out there, but I don't see it happening. I will say this, if Halladay does get traded, the team that gets him will gain a whole new group of fans.

I think that the chances that Halladay gets traded are about 50/50. The Blue Jays really don't have any hope of winning anything right now. They're the fourth best team in a stacked division and are suffocating at the moment. They're in a rebuilding process, and they have been for years. Halladay is 32 already, so he's not a young gun that will be dominate in five or ten years, whenever Toronto figures out how to build a successful team. He, no matter what he's said about Toronto, wants to win. That isn't going to happen with the Jays.

I think that the Yankees could be a good place for him to go. I'd see us shipped Joba and some minor leaguers, and since Toronto is looking for a fix in the future, rather than now, I believe that'd work. Of course, that gives us the greatest starting rotation in baseball to accompany the best line-up. That just screams 27 to me.

Matt Holliday has also been rumored to be moving and there has been Yankee talk. To be quite honest, if we could get Halladay, I couldn't give two shits about Holliday. Someone in the AL East needs to make a move to break away from the pack. The Angels and Rangers will probably look to do something to make themselves better than the other. Look for someone in the NL East to move someone. Should be a fun time.

Edit: Roy Halladay is commanding over 14 million this year, and over 15 next year, the final year of his contract. That's a lot of money to add to your team, especially in this time. Only a real elite team is going to do this. The Twins won't do it, Angels won't do it. The Yankees and Red Sox aren't afraid to spend money, and they have the prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back