• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

[Official] 2009 MLB Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd think that because I'm a Mets fan, I'd be overjoyed at this news. I'm really not though. He was a great manager, winning with what amounted to a rotating roster, and with seemingly a different coaching staff every season. His ejections show that he was a true competitor, and it was fun to play against the best, and know that if you can beat them, you can compete. Once he leaves, it just won't be the same. They probably won't hire a high profile manager, and whoever they bring in will be under a ton of scrutiny before they even manage a game.

I'm sure I'll get over it...Probably when the Mets win 10 games against them for a season and go on to the playoffs without them.

This sucks!!! I hope they can get some bats this off-season, got the pitching last year. Give Bobby a good run next year!!
Just sucks even more though cause once Cox goes I think Chipper goes with him!

ESPN said:
CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Indians fired manager Eric Wedge in the final days of a terrible season.

Wedge guided the Indians to one playoff appearance in seven seasons, and this year the club fell out of contention early and is currently one game out of last place in the AL Central.

The Indians, who are 64-92, have scheduled a Wednesday afternoon news conference at Progressive Field to announce Wedge's dismissal.

Cleveland recently lost 11 straight games and has dropped 20 of its last 25 games.

Wedge, who had one year left on his contract, will finish out the season as manager, including Wednesday's doubleheader against the Chicago White Sox. Cleveland pitching coach Carl Willis, hitting coach Derek Shelton, bench coach Jeff Datz, first-base coach Luis Rivera, third-base coach Joel Skinner and bullpen coach Chuck Hernandez were also told they will not be retained, but some could be rehired by the Indians' next manager.

Well, for most of us it probably isn't a surprise. This year the Tribe has been terrible, but started to play better ball after getting rid of some players, and then went back to bad. Wedge hasn't been entirely horrible in his time. He led a hell of a team in 2005, especially in the second half, only to fall short of the White Sox in the final week of the season, and then miss out on the wildcard spot on the last day of the season to the Red Sox. In 2007 they were one game from going to the World Series, but fell to the Red Sox. He holds the 5th spot for most wins by a manager for the Indians, but is 8 games under .500 in his 7 seasons.

Thoughts on Wedge getting axed effective after the season?

I think everyone knew that this year was the year for Wedge to do something or he would be gone. While I think he is a good manager, his time in Cleveland was done. He could not get this team with talent to perform. It looks like it might be rebuilding time so might as well bring a new manager in as well. Im suee Wedge has a job next season.

As a huge Indians fan, this doesn't surprise me at all. With as much talent as we've had to get rid of including back to back Cy Young winners, this was going to happen sooner or later. I'm really not sure how much of the blame can be put on him, but a change had to be made. Cleveland can compete, but for some reason something just wasn't clicking and there was reaolly only one person to take the blame for it: Wedge. I'm not at all surprised, but maybe this was the right move.

Okay the LA Dodgers is my favorite team but i dont think they will win the world series or even advance i mean they lose to the last place teams in the past week i mean come on.

I agree completely that the move is the right one. The team was a few outs away from going to the Fall Classic, and they blew it. Since then, they've been the single biggest disappointment in the league. I knew he was going to go if they didn't at least grab the Wild Card spot this season, and it was apparent about 3 months ago that it wasn't going to be possible.

What bothers me is the timing. Why not wait the week to let him, and the team know? What can be gained by saying "You're fired, but finish out the season?" The team won't play for him then, and he certainly won't coach them either. I hope he latches on with another team for next year. There will be teams looking for bench coaches, and even managers, and he would be a nice fit. Personally, I'd like to see him become the Mets bench coach, and then possibly take over if/when Manuel gets axed next season.

So, playoffs are starting up today for those who don't know. Let's take a look.

Phillies v. Rockies

Already played game 1 today, the Phils won 5-1 behind Cliff Lee. I think they will win the series due to their offensive firepower (Utley, Rollins, Howard, Werth, Ibanez) and another start from Lee if needed. The Rockies have fought back from a bad start to make the playoffs, but they aren't as good, especially without De Le Rosa, their top pitcher, injured.

Cardinals v. Dodgers

Should be a very good series, have to go with the Cards. They have 2 of the best pitchers in the league in Wainright and Carpenter, and they have the best hitter in the league in Pujos. The Dodgers have been sliding of late, have to rely on a young pitching staff and an old Manny. You can never count Torre out, but I can't see LA winning here.

Twinsv. Yankees

The Twins have had a miraculous run to make it into the playoffs without Mornaeu and with a decent roatation at best. It is likely their run ends here, but I still think they can pull it out. Mauer is the best hitter in the league and the best catcher in years. After Sabathia, the Yanks rotation is supect and their hitting can be very streaky, both good and bad. I'm picking the Twins and Mr. Mauer in an upset.

Red Sox v. Angels

The Angels are a solid team with a ton of .300 hitters, but they aren't winning this. The Sox simply have their number, and I see that trend continuing. Boston has just enough offense behing Bay, Pedroia, and Youkilis, and their pitching is solid, especially their bullpen with Papelbon at the end.

So, that gives us Cards v. Phils and Sox v. Twins in the final four. I got Minnesota v. St Louis in the World Series, with the Twins bringing home the title.

So, that gives us Cards v. Phils and Sox v. Twins in the final four. I got Minnesota v. St Louis in the World Series, with the Twins bringing home the title.

Really GD, the Twins in the World Series? I get that everyone is swept up in the fever of that great game yesterday, but honestly I just don't see how the Twins are going to be able to get by any of the other three AL teams in the playoffs. They aren't better than the Yankees, the Sox, or the Angels really in any category. They could go far, but I just don't see them getting past the Yanks, let alone winning the American League.

Looking forward to the Sox-Angels Game 1 tomorrow, we have Lester pitching so as long as can get a few runs we should win. I've been so impressed by how Lester just gets better and better all of the time, it's obvious why he's starting game one for us---he's now officially an ace, atleast in my opinion. His stuff is just absolutely filthy, and he was in the Top 5 of many statistical categories for pitchers in the AL (3rd in strikeouts, 5th in ERA).

Not sure about my picks going forward, the only match up I'm predicting is another Red Sox-Yankees ALCS.

Facepalming right now over the news that Jason Varitek is starting Game 2.

Varitek's role should be reduced to being a defensive replacement, when the game is pretty much in hand. He's been abysmal since the Sox got Martinez, hitting .135 in both August and September, and OPS'ing .483 and .336 in those months, respectively. Beckett hasn't done too well lately, and now the offense takes a hit in Game 2 as well. Ugh.

Because Beckett can't man up and deal with the fact that his binky might not have been able to catch him, the Red Sox have a very viable chance to lose Game 2 now. Beckett's dinged up, and now we're losing a bat in the lineup now too... most likely Mike Lowell who has hit Weaver well all season. This is the playoffs, and right now the Red Sox need to be given every chance possible to win. This one game can be all the difference in a too close to call series to begin with.

Really GD, the Twins in the World Series? I get that everyone is swept up in the fever of that great game yesterday, but honestly I just don't see how the Twins are going to be able to get by any of the other three AL teams in the playoffs. They aren't better than the Yankees, the Sox, or the Angels really in any category. They could go far, but I just don't see them getting past the Yanks, let alone winning the American League.

Obviously they are the most logical choice, but it's a gut feeling. Anyone can win a 5 game series in baseball if they get the momentum, and I think that the Yanks pitching after CC is shaky. I think the Twins could get hot and beat the Yanks, and after that, I think they're better than the Sox of Angels. Likely won't happen, but if it does, I'll be laughing at all of y'all.

I know I'm a little late but I'm sticking to my original prediction of Phils/Yanks for the WS. I'm shocked the Cards are down 2-0 to the Dodgers right now. I can't see LA blowing that lead. Hopefully Happ is alright for the Phils and they can leave Colorado with the series are take it to a game 5 and then go battle LA. In the AL, I'm surprised that the Angels took out the Sox in game 1. The Sox have owned LAA in the past, maybe times have changed. I'm still sticking with a Sox/Yanks ALCS. I see the Yanks sweeping the Twinkies here in the ALDS.

Looking forward to the Sox-Angels Game 1 tomorrow, we have Lester pitching so as long as can get a few runs we should win. I've been so impressed by how Lester just gets better and better all of the time, it's obvious why he's starting game one for us---he's now officially an ace, atleast in my opinion. His stuff is just absolutely filthy, and he was in the Top 5 of many statistical categories for pitchers in the AL (3rd in strikeouts, 5th in ERA).

Not sure about my picks going forward, the only match up I'm predicting is another Red Sox-Yankees ALCS.

You of all ppl know that I am a huge Angels fan and I was so stoked to finally win a Game 1 in this series in which Boston has owned us. I believe this will finally be competitive for once and the Angels got a chance. We have a great rotation and a more experienced lineup this year and I believe we can contend. Tonight is Weaver-Beckett...whoever scores early will win. It is simple as that in this series.

You of all ppl know that I am a huge Angels fan and I was so stoked to finally win a Game 1 in this series in which Boston has owned us.

Damn RBH, I never see you on here anymore. Be happy with your Game 1 win, because hopefully that's all you're going to get. :p

I believe this will finally be competitive for once and the Angels got a chance. We have a great rotation and a more experienced lineup this year and I believe we can contend. Tonight is Weaver-Beckett...whoever scores early will win. It is simple as that in this series.

Yeah I don't think this is going to be as easy as it has been in the past for the Sox to beat the Angels. The Angels have got alot of motivation on their side and a good team (as always), it's going to be a great series. Hopefully we can take the game tonight so as to not fall behind 0-2, that would suck big time. Shame we couldn't get any offense going last night, especially after Lester pitched a pretty good game. Hopefully Beckett is on his stuff tonight and we can score some runs.

If Tito is starting Varitek over Martinez though...then I may need to smack myself in the face.

Yeah I don;t come on as much because there are areas on this site that have given my comp viruses in the past and I am on a different comp (safer one) so thats why I come on friday and saturday (my internship at CBS sports in LA) is when I come on....

The Angels are up 2-0! I am so stoked. I truly believe that we will finally beat you guys this year and it is about damn time. I believe our starting pitching is extremely dominant this postseason and one of the reasons why were winning thus far and players like Aybar and Itzuris are playing roles for once as well as kendrick and all 3 of these guys have failed in the past. So we got Kazmir going sunday and I can easily see a sweep if Kazmir is on his A game but I also could see the Sox playing their asses off.

Angels FINALLY win a playoff series againest the rude sux. Both LA teams are in their cs and that is as close as we have ever come to having a freeway series.

It doesn't matter to me who the ANGELS play next, they can beat BOTH teams. The twins are my 2nd favorite team and playing them would be sweet. I would LOVE for the ANGELS to beat them again to get to the WS. The yankees I just HATE, almost as much as the red sux. I think I hate red sux fans just a tiny bit more than yankees fans.

red sux are GONE!!!! SWEPT BY THE ANGELS!!!!!!!!

If the ANGELS make it to the WS I will go, I'll have the money and am willing to pay ALOT for good seats, especially againest the dudgers.

Sloppy win for the Yanks the other night, but a win is win I guess.

We should take the series 4-1 (I'm hoping). Looks like both Los Angeles teams don't make it to the world series.

I know that the Yankees still need to close out against the Angels, but in all likelihood, this is the series we are looking at. As a Mets fan, I want to say it's horrible, and not look at everything involved.

Both teams will come in with very good pitching staffs from top to bottom. Both teams have line-ups that can kill you with the long ball, as well as with speed and run production. Both teams are well managed. I know Girardi catches flack, but he did a damn fine job this year. Both teams have something to look forward to with a win here. The Phillies to repeat, the Yankees to get back to the "promised land".

All of that looks great, until you get to where these teams play. Between Citizens Bank Park, and the new Yankee Stadium, we can expect about 6 home runs per game, and an average score of 10-8. Maybe it's hyperbole, but it really may not be.

As good as these staffs are, the line-ups match up well, and we could see these games turn out scores you usually see in football. I'm personally a fan of the pitching duels, and this all looks terrible to me. Of course I'll watch, but I won't enjoy it.

The Yankees vs. Phillies will be one of the highest scoring Series' in history. That's almost a guarantee. Yes, the starting pitching staffs are both fairly solid but both parks are hitters parks. And both line ups are power heavy. I, too, would much rather prefer a 1-0 pitching duel, but seeing the Phillies and the Yankees beat the hell out of each other won't be the worst thing in the world, ya know.

Reactions: NSL
I think that both starting rotations are good enough to keep runs off the board. Sabbathia and Burnett will start the games in NY, and they should be able to keep runs off the board.

I would love to see Pedro start game two in NY, but I don't see that happening. Pitching will be the story of this series, and this is why the Yankees win.

First of all, Cole Hamels has not been the same player he was a year ago. Last year, he was lights out, and this year, not so much. Cliff Lee has done well, and Pedro has looked good, but the Phils need Cole Hamels to have a chance.

The problem for the Phils though, is the bullpen. Brad Lidge has reverted back to erratic pitcher the Astros let go. He cannot get it done against good players in tight situation, and the Yankees certainly have big players. Rivera is lights out at the end of postseason games. Ryan Madson has been good in the post season, but I keep waiting for him to implode. The Yankees bull pen is stronger, and that is how they win the series. Look for late inning explosions from the Yankees. They win in 6.

I know the starters are good, FTS, but no pitcher is going to prevent a long double from turning into a Home Run in those parks. Sabathia has been dominant, and would most likely be starting Game 1 against Lee. Hamels hasn't been great this year, but he has gotten a little closer to normal this postseason, and Pedro hasn't been bad at all. It'll be a close series I'm sure, but none of these games are going to be 2-1 or 3-0.

As a Phillies fan, the Yankees are the team I'd rather face. We matchup better with the Yanks. Plus the Phils seem to suck against the Angels. Phi/NYY was my prediction for the WS and it looks like it will be true. I think it'll be a great series and I'm really looking forward to seeing it happen. Both teams have good pitch and can hit the ball like no tomorrow. Should be an awesome series and of course I'll be picking my Phils to win.

Perhaps we should wait until either of these teams actually make it to the World Series? I'm going to close this until it's official.

So the Yankees finally pulled it together and won the American League Championship. Now they face Philly in a much-anticipated World Series pitting two eastern teams whose stadiums are three and a half hours from each other.

I know there's already a thread dedicated to the World Series game, but I figured I'd create a thread to appreciate the 2009 Yankees.

If anyone has any comments, questions, or discussions about the Yankees 2009 road to the World Series, post them here!!

How wonderful it is to be a Yankee fan this year. Best record in Baseball. Little Steinbrenner controversy. It seems as if the New Yankee stadium was destined to host a World Series in its inaugural season. Now here's the question for me, would the victory in the ALCS be any better if it was Boston that had been defeated along the way? Either in the Divisional series or Championship series, it has always been a great battle between the two greatest rivals in sports (IMO). So for me the only thing that would've made the trip better would be getting to beat the Red Sox in the post season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back