NFL Thread - 2009-10

How many games will the Lions win this year.

• Winless (0-16, again)

• 1-4wins

• 5-8 wins

• 9-11 wins

• 12-15 wins

• Undefeated (16-0)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, but only for the reason that the players wanted him as their coach, and made their voices heard. Hiring anyone but him automatically puts the team behind, because they need to learn under someone new, and learn to like them. I'm not saying the guys aren't playing for Zorn, but they certainly don't have the heart they would have had for someone they loved like Williams. They have yet to play a team with a win on their record, and are still 2-3. Something needs to be done...Fast...

If a Zorn suicide tragedy occurs I wouldn't be shocked considering he's getting treated as if he's the owner and playing on the field. It's a Team responsibility not just 1 man like Riggins/Portis and others are making it out to be. Portis has no room to talk, he's washed up and not producing so he can shut his trap along with Rogers who has bricks for hands when the opposing QB throws it right to him.

So the Saints manhandled the Giants. All the predictions stated that this would be a close, low scoring game. Hell, all the fantasy football tips told me to sit Colston and Shockey this week because the Giants defense is so tough against the pass (thankfully, I ignored this advice). So I ask, who the hell is going to stop the Saints? Their offense is just too powerful, it's damn near nauseating. I don't want to get too carried away here, as it is only Week 6, but the Saints are for real.

So, yeah, to say my Pats crushed the Titans would be the biggest understatement of all time. We embarrassed them. We raped them. I mean, that was without a doubt the most dominating game I've ever seen in my life. On both sides of the ball the Titans were just absolutely pathetic. They couldn't stop our run (gave up nearly 100 yards in the first quarter), and in the second quarter our passing game just exploded. Brady threw FIVE fucking touchdowns in one quarter, breaking yet another record. Does anyone still want to argue that this guy is the best QB in the league? The Pats lead the game 45-0 at the half, fucking amazing. Another broken record there. By the time the game was over and we won 59-0, it was just sad to watch the Titans. I think a pee wee team would have played better than they did.

Total and absolute domination by the Patriots on both sides of the ball (forced 5 turnovers). The biggest trouncing I've ever seen, and one of the biggest in NFL history.

So, yeah, to say my Pats crushed the Titans would be the biggest understatement of all time. We embarrassed them. We raped them. I mean, that was without a doubt the most dominating game I've ever seen in my life. On both sides of the ball the Titans were just absolutely pathetic. They couldn't stop our run (gave up nearly 100 yards in the first quarter), and in the second quarter our passing game just exploded. Brady threw FIVE fucking touchdowns in one quarter, breaking yet another record. Does anyone still want to argue that this guy is the best QB in the league? The Pats lead the game 45-0 at the half, fucking amazing. Another broken record there. By the time the game was over and we won 59-0, it was just sad to watch the Titans. I think a pee wee team would have played better than they did.

Total and absolute domination by the Patriots on both sides of the ball (forced 5 turnovers). The biggest trouncing I've ever seen, and one of the biggest in NFL history.

Everything you said is true, except 1 thing. Brady is the best QB in the league because he threw 5 TDs in a quarter? The Pats threw deep with a 40+ point lead, and kept throwing all game long. Patriot fans call that Brady being the best QB in the league. Non-Patriot fans call that is RUNNING UP THE SCORE. Karma got the Pats for running up the score in 2007 (losing to the Giants, Brady in 2008), and they continue to run up the score. And when you are winning by 59 points, you don't go for it on 4th and 7 from the opponents 11 yard line, unless you are running up the score. New England went for it, therefore, they were running up the score.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Brady isn't in the top 3 in the League, but there are 2 people who you can make a great case for being better right now.

There's a guy in Indianapolis named Peyton Manning (you may have heard of him, he does 900,000 commercials) who has gone 300+ yards in every game this season, led the league in TDs and Passing Yards going into this week (in which he the NFL didn't let him throw for 300 yards, because he had a bye), and is playing with 1 great receiver, and a few rookies/nobodies.

If you like big TD pass numbers, then Drew Brees may be the guy for you. In week 1, he threw 6 TD passes against a team better then Tennessee (Detroit), and in Week 6, he threw 4 TD's against one of the best Defenses in the NFL, the New York Giants. That actually puts him ahead of Brady for the season in TD passes, including this week.

Going into this week, the only thing Brady led was passing ATTEMPTS, which means New England likes to air it out. They should like to throw, they have good receivers, but when you are up 40+ points, you don't need to keep throwing down field. And when you put the backups in, you don't keep throwing, you run a lot, with a little bit of throwing. New England ran 8 times (with the running backs) and threw 11, after Brady was removed from the game (when it was 52-0).

Last but not least, Tennessee's D is absolute garbage this year (just like the rest of the team). Tennessee also started 2 rookie Corners against Brady/Moss/Welker, a formula for Brady opening up a can of whoop-ass, as he did.

Brady was spectacular today, and statistically was phenomenal, but 5 TDs in one quarter happened because his coach allowed him to by running up the score.

The thing about Tom Brady is that he has the same arm strength, accuracy, and stats as any other quarterback in the league. However, what puts him ahead of guys like Drew Brees and Peyton Manning is his win/loss record, and the fact that he has shown countless times, under the biggest situations, that he can perform under pressure. Peyton Manning has shown us a couple of times that he can do the same, but there are way more bad showings in the last minutes of the game under his belt than there are good. And Drew Brees has yet to be put in a situation like that, especially in a Playoff/Super Bowl atmosphere.

You see, the stats and all around ability are there for all three, and each point is arguable from each side. However, what isn't arguable is the fact that Brady's winning percentage is absolutely fucking ridiculous, and that he's currently the best clutch performer in football. Those two things make him the best quarterback in the league right now, and the best quarterback this decade. There's no argument about it, guys. None.

Anyway, my Saints looked fantastic yesterday. Made me a very happy, happy man. Guys, I've been a die-hard Saints fan since the "Cajun Cannon" Bobby Hebert days (he's still one of my all time favorite players), and never have the Saints looked this good throughout that time. Never. And they've had some great starts to their seasons in my lifetime, but their wins weren't as convincing and impressive as the ones they're having this year, especially yesterday's win against a VERY good New York Giants football team. And there should be no more doubters: The New Orleans Saints are forreal.

Also, is it too early to say that Darren Sharper was by far and large the best pick up this off-season (not including Brett Favre)? I fucking LOVE that guy! He's been fantastic for us this season, and he along with Greg Williams has completely turned this Saints defense around, which was absolutely abysmal last year, for those who don't remember.

Have you noticed just how bad that offense is? They lost 14-6 to the Chiefs. The third team they have allowed to get their first win on. Yes Snyder made a bad decision but I don't think he thought long term for Zorn. Just a quick hire til he could try and pull a big name coach.

For Stormtrooper there is no running up the score. Its not the Patriots fault the Titans can't play defense anymore. If the Titans didn't like it then they should have stop the Pats, tho that wouldn't have happened even if they tried. Which they didn't by the way. It looked like they didn't want to be there and it showed a lot. They put no effort in that game.

And I'm a Redskins fan. Need I say more, besides this season sucks hard? I didn't think so.

For Stormtrooper there is no running up the score.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Its not the Patriots fault the Titans can't play defense anymore.
That's correct, the Titans can't play defense. They can't defend the pass OR the run, all the reason to run the ball when you are up by 45 points, instead of throwing the ball down-field.

If the Titans didn't like it then they should have stop the Pats, tho that wouldn't have happened even if they tried. Which they didn't by the way.
If they didn't try, then run it down their throats, take time off the clock, and you still score. Scoring isn't what makes running up the score, but throwing deep when winning by 45 points IS running up the score.
It looked like they didn't want to be there and it showed a lot. They put no effort in that game.
We're in agreement here, Tennessee didn't try, but to say New England didn't run up the score is just wrong. They were going for it on 4th down in the red zone, up 59 POINTS. Kick the god-damn field goal, you don't need to try to score MORE points when you know the game is decided already.

And I'm a Redskins fan. Need I say more, besides this season sucks hard? I didn't think so.
I'm sorry for you. I'm a Jets fan, and I can sympathize with you. We had some hope going into the season, and Mark Sanchez is doing a good job of making that hope go away for 2009. His future still looks bright, but it's frustrating when you have a team that can win now losing because of rookie QB mistakes. Hopefully the Skins comes to their senses and fires the head coach this week.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
That's correct, the Titans can't play defense. They can't defend the pass OR the run, all the reason to run the ball when you are up by 45 points, instead of throwing the ball down-field.

If they didn't try, then run it down their throats, take time off the clock, and you still score. Scoring isn't what makes running up the score, but throwing deep when winning by 45 points IS running up the score.
We're in agreement here, Tennessee didn't try, but to say New England didn't run up the score is just wrong. They were going for it on 4th down in the red zone, up 59 POINTS. Kick the god-damn field goal, you don't need to try to score MORE points when you know the game is decided already.

I'm sorry for you. I'm a Jets fan, and I can sympathize with you. We had some hope going into the season, and Mark Sanchez is doing a good job of making that hope go away for 2009. His future still looks bright, but it's frustrating when you have a team that can win now losing because of rookie QB mistakes. Hopefully the Skins comes to their senses and fires the head coach this week.

Ok I'm not going to break down your response line by line, but its obvious we have different views on this. I feel that these players get paid a lot of money so if they are going to not show up well then expect the worse. Its their job to stop them and if they can't, well we saw what happened. I personally have no problem with it.
And thank you for your sympathy haha. Its much appreciated. I hope he's gone too but I doubt it will happen before the end of the year.

Ok I'm not going to break down your response line by line, but its obvious we have different views on this. I feel that these players get paid a lot of money so if they are going to not show up well then expect the worse. Its their job to stop them and if they can't, well we saw what happened. I personally have no problem with it.
And thank you for your sympathy haha. Its much appreciated. I hope he's gone too but I doubt it will happen before the end of the year.

Here's my last point about this Brady thing, because talking about good QB play saddens me. They were throwing to their star receivers with a 45+ point lead, and threw down the middle of the field. If Moss or Welker went down the middle, got hit, and got injured, then EVERYBODY would be killing Belichick for risking his best players for meaningless points. Tennessee got what they had coming for not playing hard, but if a Patriot got hurt, everyone would complain that he was running up the score. My only problems with the game was that
  1. New England won
  2. People can think that Brady's ridiculous performance meant he is the greatest QB in the league, when in actuality other QBs could have done the same, but they don't, because their coach doesn't risk injury to star players; not to mention the fact hat Other QBs have been more consistent this season, and have put up similar numbers.
Back to teams who aren't playing good football. I just heard that Zorn had the playcalling duties on offense stripped from him. Ummm, isn't he the Head Coach? Isn't HE the one who decides who calls the plays? How does the GM (or owner) decide that for someone? If they don't beat the Eagles week 7 (they won't the Eagles are pissed about losing to the Raiders, a team worse then the Redskins), I would all but guarantee that Snyder will get rid of him after the game.

And to not sound like an asshole, I will talk bad about the Jets. We are screwed this season. Every indication is that Kris Jenkins is out for the season. He is the most important piece of the defense, and is irreplaceable at Nose Tackle. This doesn't take into account the Rookie QB, who will cost us another game this season. I thought we would be anywhere from 6-10 to 11-5 before the season. After week 3, I thought we would be 10-6 or 11-5. Now I am closer to 7-9 or 9-7. Without Jenkins, it may be closer to 6-10 to 8-8.

Everything you said is true, except 1 thing. Brady is the best QB in the league because he threw 5 TDs in a quarter? The Pats threw deep with a 40+ point lead, and kept throwing all game long. Patriot fans call that Brady being the best QB in the league. Non-Patriot fans call that is RUNNING UP THE SCORE. Karma got the Pats for running up the score in 2007 (losing to the Giants, Brady in 2008), and they continue to run up the score. And when you are winning by 59 points, you don't go for it on 4th and 7 from the opponents 11 yard line, unless you are running up the score. New England went for it, therefore, they were running up the score.

That's horseshit. They went for it on 4th and 7 in the 4th quarter with an UNDRAFTED ROOKIE at QB and all of their backups on the field. What would you rather have them do, kick the field goal there? THAT would be running up the score, purposely putting more points on the board. By going for it on 4th down, they atleast gave the Titans a chance to stop them, and they did.

Seriously, how the fuck were they running up the score? Brady was out of the game in the first 2 minutes of the third quarter, they weren't running up jackshit. It's not the Pats fault that even their 3rd stringers made the Titans look like pee wee football players.

Running up the score...horseshit. We haven't been able to put big points on the board all year long, and the one time we do, now we're running up the score? Pure fucking bullshit.

Giants fan here.

Our defense yesterday looked awful. The worst blowout lost I've seen from then since 05 (chargers vs giants). USUALLY blowout losses occur at the hands of Eli Manning. This time, it was our supposed strength, the defense.

The Saints' offense looks un-fucking-stoppable, but the 2007 Pats were unbeatable too. The Pats offense looked unTOUCHable; they made everything look so damn easy. 07 Pats was arguably the greatest offense of all fucking time. But we managed to stop them. How? With intensity out of our freaking minds and a great game plan (Though we showed the Pats the same defense in the 2nd half which almost cost us the game). We had neither today.

We just didn't show up to play football. Everything we knew the Saints were going to do, (Attack our injuries) -- they did. They kept throwing at C.C Brown (whom is the new starter replacing Kenny Phillips) and managed to matchup their wide receivers with our fucking linebackers. 4-man rush, playing deep zone, and our LBs covering short passes, just didn't work today. I guess we have too much faith in our 4-man rush since our LBs can not cover that long. They just can't defend RBs/WRs for more than 3 seconds. Any Line-backer corpse couldn't that day.

Our LBs don't usually suck in pass coverage though, we signed Michael Boley in the off season after Antonio Pierce was exposed by the Eagles last year, just to fix this issue for what could be a potential problem in 09. Yesterday, he was injured for this game so we had no pass coverage LBs to bail us out against the Saints. Our 4-man front played with NO intensity to give those guys a chance. Just an awful day all around.

As for the Saints defense, they gave up almost 350 yards of total offense against us. (And we only scored 27 points). Obviously that means our offense was prepared for the game, we just had miscues. Like any normal team, when you are down by multiple TDs deep in game, you tend to pass deep more often than not(Who would actually throw short passes and back-to-back run plays when you are down by 21 with only 20 minutes left in the game?). We just didn't execute with the pressure. All in all though, those guys did OK. A couple of miscues, turnovers & drops, but they showed up with a fucking decent game plan at least, god damn.

This tells you something though. 4-3 defense does not stop Drew Brees. Unless you have 3 pro bowl LBs that play oustanding in pass coverage, you will not stop them this way. The Saints also owned the Eagles defense as well. I hope there is a defense down the road that will expose the Saints. I'm putting my faith on the Patriots defense, as all the other defenses on the Saints schedule will not stop them, unless the Saints sleep on a game.

Good luck New Orleans and hopefully we will meet again come playoff time.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, theres good news for me at least. The Eagles were just as unprepared as we were today seeing how they lost against the worst team in the NFL. Seriously? It was as if they woke up in the morning and said "if the Giants could score 44, imagine what we can do". Its human nature to think like that, but the loss just makes me giggle. Though I shouldn't be really be trash talking today. Hopefully there are no Eagles fans around :)

How about them Falcons this season.

Only one lost so far and 4 wins. This turning out so far to be a great season for them if you ask me. When was the last time they started the season out this good(just really started following football the last year or so)

But I could see them maybe only losing maybe one more game. I hope I'm wrong and they don't lose anymore but I see maybe one my lost.

What do you all think.

How about them Falcons this season.

Only one lost so far and 4 wins. This turning out so far to be a great season for them if you ask me. When was the last time they started the season out this good(just really started following football the last year or so)

But I could see them maybe only losing maybe one more game. I hope I'm wrong and they don't lose anymore but I see maybe one my lost.

What do you all think.

Atlanta is good, but not that good. They still have to play the undefeated Saints twice, they also play at the Giants, at the Jets, and a home game against Philly. I see them probably finishing 12-4, just behind the Saints in the NFC South.

Well San Diego is doing better then I expected. Im still going with Denver as I think their D will step up in the 2nd half. How about that mess in Washington? I dont think a Coach could be more embarrassed by a moronic Owner and even dumber GM.

Denver's Mike Nolan is amazing. In all of Denver's games, the opponents offense has never scored one single point in the second half. His adjustments at half time are flawless.

The Vikings safeties got exposed in Baltimore during the comeback. It was obvious how poor their tackling was in Green Bay but the Ravens did a good job attacking them in the second half.

As for the other undefeated team, the Saints, they have a few holes on their defense too. The LBs have covering problems against TE's and sometimes on blitz's Darren Sharper is left with single coverage down-field. I wish we exploited this more often.

The Colts...Cover 2. That's all I'm saying. In playoff time when the Colts actually face a real team, their defense will bite them in the ass as they always do.

If the Giants are undefeated, their weakness is the safeties too obviously. Drew Brees just kept throwing at whoever C.C Brown was covering like I already mentioned. It was a scrimmage.

Out of all the undefeated teams, the Broncos are the best. They still need work with their offense, but once thats good, they will most likely be the best team in the NFL.

Well next Sunday is one of only two American football games that get coverage over here, the other, of course, being the superbowl. It is New England vs Tampa Bay at Wembley.

Now, I know that the Patriots are a huge team, with Brady and Moss the stars. However, all I know about Tampa Bay is the Glazer family own them. Do they stand any chance at all of winning? Is there any one to look out for?

Also, what do you proper fans think of the annual game that takes place in a foreign country? "Soccer" fans over here kicked out the idea of our sport being taken abroad for a competitive game, so wondered what your opinion is. Are the fans pissed at missing out on a home game, I know I would be.

Well next Sunday is one of only two American football games that get coverage over here, the other, of course, being the superbowl. It is New England vs Tampa Bay at Wembley.

Now, I know that the Patriots are a huge team, with Brady and Moss the stars. However, all I know about Tampa Bay is the Glazer family own them. Do they stand any chance at all of winning? Is there any one to look out for?

Tampa Bay is horrible. They are 0-6 and are going to get completely demolished by the Pats. The Bucs have some talent but the team as a whole sucks so bad that you won't be able to tell. I would be willing to bet everything I own that New England will win this game by double digits.

I really hate to say this, but Drew Brees has to win the MVP for Week 6. He played great, and led his team to a huge win over an undefeated opponent, and made them all look like fools. I wish there was anyone else I could nominate here, but I just can't find anyone.

Looks like Drew is on his way to winning the real thing this year...

I have to agree with NSL on this one. I don't think it should be based on stats but how the hell do you pick anyone else? He played against the number 1 defense in the league. I read somwhere that they had allowed less than 150 yrds of passing a game. And then Brees shredded them. I knew he would have a decent game but nowhere near that. So there's no way you pick anyone else here.

The Giants were actually only allowing about 108 yards per game, and Brees shredded them. I figured he'd have a big game, getting close to 300 yards, and tossing a few TDs, but I didn't think it would be nearly what it was.

Brady would get consideration, because he had a huge game, but it was against the Titans, who haven't really stopped anyone this season. If it was against anyone with a win or 2 on their record, I'd make an argument for him, simply because it was my team that Brees picked apart...

Yeah, Drew Brees > Tom Brady.

Drew Brees dismantled one of the best defenses in the league. Tom Brady was just ripping the rookies in the secondary against the Titans

The Giants were actually only allowing about 108 yards per game, and Brees shredded them. I figured he'd have a big game, getting close to 300 yards, and tossing a few TDs, but I didn't think it would be nearly what it was.

Brady would get consideration, because he had a huge game, but it was against the Titans, who haven't really stopped anyone this season. If it was against anyone with a win or 2 on their record, I'd make an argument for him, simply because it was my team that Brees picked apart...

Yea I knew it lower than 150 but I gave myself a little cushion. NSL good job on getting the exacts because that shows just how good Brees is. 108 yards?! That is rediculous defense and Brees made it look easy. Now I know this is off topic here but NSL as a Giants fan did you take it as Brees is just that damn good, or maybe your D isn't as good as the numbers indicated? Maybe a little of both? How I looked it was Brees and that offense is just unstoppable, but at the same time maybe those stats on D were a little overblown because of the opponents the Giants played. Either way the Giants will bounce back from it as they always seem to do.

The Saints offense really is that good, and there's no way the Giants defense is that bad. They were simply outplayed. There's no other way to put it. The pass rush will come back this week, and the backs and linebackers will be at the top of their game, to make sure Warner & Co. don't do the same thing. Warner has a bad history against the Giants, so I expect they'll show a bit more of themselves this week, allowing some yardage, but bending and not breaking.

The Saints are looking great though. They needed to come out and put a lot of points up, and go for the jugular early, and they did just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back