• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NFL Divisional Playoffs LD

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
We're down to eight teams now, and after this Sunday, we'll have both conference championship games figured out. Everyone only needs three wins to be declared Super Bowl Champs. It's go big or go home now. Here's my previews to all four of these games:

Baltimore-Ravents-Helmet.jpg
VS.
Piitsburgh-Steelers-Helmet.jpg

When: 4:30 ET, Today
Where: Heinz Field
What Channel: CBS
Breakdown: The NFL's most heated rivalry kicks off our 2nd playoff weekend. This rivalry has been neck and neck dating back to 2003, with the Steelers leading the series since then 9-8, although the point differential between the two is equal at 305-305. This is the rubber match between the two teams, with the Ravens winning the first contest after a game winning TD pass to TJ Houshmanzadeh by Joe Flacco, and the Steelers winning the second game after a strip sack by Troy Polomalu, followed by the Steelers punching it in. These games are always tight, bitter contests, with the team that makes the biggest play at the latest part of the game pulling out the victory more often then not. It also helps that these two teams just plain don't like each other, something that can't be said for some 'rivalries' in the league. These are hard hitting contests, and in the cold Pittsburgh weather, I don't expect any less from either team.

For the Ravens to win this game, I think they have to attack the weaker part of the Steelers defense, which is their secondary. Joe Flacco, despite being flat out bad in some of his early postseason games, is coming off a huge game over the Chiefs and has some dangerous weapons with Boldin (who needs to get a lot of targets; these are the types of games they got him for) Houshmanzadeh, Heap, Derrick Mason, and even Dante Stallworth could stretch the field deep for them. The run defense of Pittsburgh is just too good for them to force 25-30 carries to Ray Rice and expect good things to happen, especially with the reports of him being sick. They should pass often, with using the run to catch the Steelers off guard, and try to take advantage whenever they have good field position. 17 points will more then likely win this game.

For the Steelers, I think its a little bit of the opposite. While 92 rushing yards per game is very good, I think there needs to be a focus on the run with Mendenhall, and then use the deep play action bombs to Mike Wallace at least a few times. The disparity between run and the pass have to be almost even, with a little more run to pass. Ben Roethlisberger has been able to make the clutch plays when needed to against the Ravens, and he'll have to keep that up if he wants to have a chance for his 3rd Super Bowl ring in his career.

Prediction: This has all of the makings for another classic in Heinz. If you wanna see a lot of points, I suggest you don't turn to this game. However, if you don't watch it, you may be missing out on what has the potential to be the best game of the playoffs. This is going to be a hard hitting nailbiter. The team that makes the last play will win, just as how it is always in this series. I love watching these games. It's what the NFL is all about. Steelers 14, Ravens 10.

Green-Bay-Helmet.jpg
VS.
Atlanta-Falcons-Helmet.jpg

When: 8:00 ET, Tonight
Where: Georgia Dome
What Channel: FOX
Breakdown: This game is being dubbed as the 'unofficial' NFC Championship game because it's clear that these are the two best teams in the NFC. It's almost unfair to the Falcons because they're forced to go against the 6 seed Packers, while the Bears, the number 2 seed, have Seattle, a heavy underdog. But, you have to beat who you're dealt against, and I know the Falcons won't be complaining about this matchup, because they do still have the ultimate equalizer, the Georgia Dome, on their side. Matt Ryan has the best home record among active QB's, with a nice 20-2 mark. He's at his best at home, and will hope to give this team, that has high expectations, a shot in the NFC Championship game for the first time since the Michael Vick days.

For the Packers, I see the key of the game being James Starks, the 6th round rookie out of Buffalo. He had a huge game against the Eagles, and to maintain some balance and keep the Packers from being one dimensional, he's going to have to get some big runs and first downs. While Atlanta's run defense is their strong point, if Starks can have a 70, 80 yard rushing game that would be a success for the Packers. Rodgers will have to throw a lot for them to win, but the run game could be the hidden key for the Packers to try and walk out of the Georgia Dome with an NFC Championship berth.

For the Falcons, it's all on QB Matt Ryan. We know how good he has been in the regular season, but this is only his 2nd career postseason start, and in his first one, he wasn't all that impressive in a Wild Card loss to the Arizona Cardinals in 2009. While he's now 2 years older and 2 years better, and does have the home field advantage in his favor, it's going to be interesting to see if he can do what he does best, and that's get a game winning score late in the game. He'll need some help from Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez, along with a solid running game by Michael Turner, but it's on Ryan's shoulders in this one.

Prediction: While Green Bay was my preseason pick to go the Super Bowl, it's tough going against a home Falcons team. This game, like the one they played back in the middle of the season, will come down to a last second big play (just like the first game of the weekend). Do I have enough faith to pick a 3rd year QB, even if he's as good as he is at home? No. Packers 30, Falcons 23.

Seattle-Seahawks-Helmet.jpg
VS.
Chicago-Bears-Helmet.jpg

When: 1:00 ET, Tommorow
Where: Soldier Field
What Channel: FOX
Breakdown: Many people, including yours truly, were shocked to see the Seahawks play so well last week against the defending Super Bowl champions after losing to them during the season badly and just not being that good of a team at all this year, despite winning their division. Their offense played much better then anyone could have imagined, and the game clinching TD run by Marshawn Lynch was one of the greatest runs in playoff history. However, now the Seahawks will have to go on the road to try and win at cold Soldier Field to advance to the NFC Championship game. Do we need a reminder of the Seahawks last 3 road playoff games, which happened against the Packers, Bears, and Packers, respectively? Hmmm...

[YOUTUBE]JzpowxGfVFE[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]UqiHDwTiC1A[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]wKM92vEhBJs[/YOUTUBE]

Granted, this team, save for a few players, but you know that aura of those road playoff games is still there. The key for the Seahawks has to be their entire defense. With all due respect to the Saints, the Bears D is much more better then theirs with Julius Peppers heading the D-Line and Brian Urlacher leading the LBs. They are going to have to do their best in holding Jay Cutler down, who has played much better since their meeting in Week 6. A few timely turnovers would also help, and Matt Hasselbeck has to play just as good on the offensive side to give them a punchers chance.

For the Bears, its simply do what you have to do offensively, and that's give the rock to Matt Forte, who's gotten more attention rushing out of the backfield then you would expect from a Mike Martz offensive system. The longer the Seahawks stay in the game, the more confidence they get, which makes them more dangerous. Seattle knows they're the heavy underdog, so Chicago has to do what the Saints failed to do last week, get up early, and just sit on the lead. The Saints were up 10-0 in the 2nd quarter, but then let Hasselbeck go off. A Seattle team like this will be dangerous the longer they stay in the game.

Prediction: While I'm rooting for the Hawks to keep this crazy run going, I don't see them pulling out another upset. I don't see a blowout, but this is an early game for a West Coast team. Not a good recipe for success, to me. This could be either another exciting game, or be ugly early. Bears 24, Seahawks 13.

New-York-Jets-Helmet.jpg
VS.
New-England-Patriots-Helmet.jpg

When: 4:30 ET, Tommorow
Where: Gillette Stadium
What Channel: CBS
Breakdown: In our final matchup of rematch weekend, the loudmouth New York Jets and New England Patriots will duel for their rubber match, like their AFC counterparts, but these two games weren't nearly as close as the Ravens/Steelers two games were (the Jets won the first contest 28-14, the Pats won the second 45-3). Despite that 45-3 thrashing only about 2 months ago, the Jets weren't backing down this week in the interviews, specifically Rex Ryan and Antonio Cromartie. The Jets did what they always seem to be doing, and that's talking their team up and the other team down. Too bad this is the Patriots, who didn't offer any serious rebuttal to them (aside from Wes Welker cutting a few feet jokes at Rex Ryan). With all of the Jets trash talking they've done this week, if they don't even show up, they'll look like as big of morons as you can be. The Jets put a lot more pressure on themselves to step their game up then what was already there, and they did so by also pissing off Belichick and Brady, which is never a smart thing.

For the Jets to win, they have to go back to the gameplan that they had in the 2nd half of the Colts game, and thats run, run, and run some more. Mark Sanchez hasn't been that great both late in the season and in cold weather conditions, so LT and Shonn Greene will need to carry the load for a few long TD drives. If they can have a few nice long TD drives like they did last week, their chances of winning increase exponentially. The longer their drives are, the less time Brady can spend on the field. A problem for them is, the Pats run defense is much better then the Colts was (but who isn't better then the Colts run defense?) and should do a better job at containing the duo enough to limit the damage.

For the Pats, just keep on trucking. If they play the way they have for the past 8 weeks, the Jets don't stand much of a chance. Brady is playing his best ball right now, at the right time, and he also has a nice balance with Ben-Danvis Greenwood-Ellishead (credit to Bill Simmons for this name; a combination of BJGE and Danny Woodheads names). The Patriots have more weapons then the Jets can handle, and it's Bill Belichick against Rex Ryan. You know who the better coach is. And another thing, I think that trash talking of the Jets will blow up in their face, because if there's one team who you probably shouldn't trash talk to, it's the Pats. I know the Jets are staying true to themselves and that's fine, but Antonio Cromartie sharing his 'thoughts' on Brady the week that he plays him might not be the smartest thing.

Prediction: The Pats have everything on their side, the homefield, motivation, Tom Brady, Bill Belichick. While I'm not expecting a 6 TD beatdown (although I'd love to see a replay of it), I don't see the Patriots falling here, not with as well as Brady is playing and as average at best Sanchez has been. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats were up 17 or so in the 4th and still tried to score to rub it in the Jets faces. That's just how they are. Theres one thing to be going against the Patriots, but there's another to go against a pissed off Patriots team. This may be better then the 18-1 team a few years back. They seem more focused and relaxed since they don't have the undefeated pressure on their backs. While it's not going to be a blowout, I do expect a double digit victory. Patriots 31, Jets 20.

Alright, so I was typing up my predictions in the prediction thread, and then my cat decided to step in the keyboard and manged to erase everything I had typed up so far so here's a quick spammy version

Ravens over Steelers, Packers over Falcons (though I honestly think this could go either way), Pats over Jets, & Seahawks over Da Bears courtesy of a Cutler INT

Short prediction post:

Pats vs. Jets - Reason being: In a big playoff game, would you rather have Tom Brady or Mark Sanchez? Tom Brady obviously. The Patriots have been unstoppable as of late, the Jets would need to play keep away from Brady by running the ball efficiently. I don't think they can, and Brady is going to carve up the Jets D once more. Jim Leonard being out hurts the Jets big time. He was there veteran who could adjust the secondary to confuse Brady. For the Jets to win they have to play absolutely perfect football and get lucky breaks on turnovers. That being said I don't see it happening and the Pats move on.

Score: Patriots 34 Jets 21

Ravens vs. Pittsburgh - Reasoning: This is probably the toughest game to choose this weekend for obvious reasons. They always play close games, their defenses are in the top echelon on the league, and they plain hate each other. The key situation in this game is the quarterbacks. Big Ben has proven himself to be one of the most clutch QB's in the league and he seems to be the perfect antidote to the Raven's D. He can improvise, shake a few tackles, and then hit a wide open receiver for a huge gain. On the other hand you have Flacco who can have some great games, and can have mediocre ones as well. This is the moment Flacco has to rise up and make a big play late in the game. This is tough, but I'll take the Ravens by 3 in a tight match up.

Score: Ravens 17 Steelers 14

Packers vs. Atlanta - Reasoning: Rodgers is coming into his own, and finally has that first playoff win out of the way. With Starks suddenly emerging as a decent run threat, they now have a balanced enough attack to keep opponents on their toes. Atlanta meanwhile showed that old Schottenheimer "play not to lose" type of game when they faced the Saints in Week 16. That scares me, because if they have a lead late in the game, they will have to go for the jugular instead of playing it safe. Rodgers has a bit of Favre in him and can lead last minute drives to win. The Packers D is outstanding and I think they'll be able to shut the run down and harass Ryan enough into making mistakes. That's going to be the downfall of Atlanta this game if Ryan makes the wrong throw at a critical time. Ryan has been outstanding in limiting mistakes this year, but against a fired up Packer's D, it could be trouble. That all being said, Green Bay showed last week they have the propensity to leave the door open as well, and Vick nearly burned them for it. Ryan has that comeback ability as well, so to me if it's a close game, it's a matter of who's going to lose the game, not win it. I give the edge to Green Bay for their Defense mostly.

Score: Green Bay 27 Atlanta 20

Seattle vs. Chicago Reasoning: Here's why. Cutler is in his first playoff game, has a habit of throwing killer picks, and I see it happening this game. Seattle needs to keep up the running game and Marshawn needs to go into beast mode for the entire game. Hasselbeck has suddenly reinvigorated himself after the Saints game, and he needs to keep it up as well. The Bears D is brutal, but they also gave up 34 points to a Jets team in 16, so they have the unfortunate ability to lay over and let an offense walk over them. I believe Seattle can battle and pull off another upset, but it'll be close. Major difference is Cutler hasn't been in a postseason game since High School, and I don't think he can shake the losing aura around him.

Score: Seattle 31 Chicago 28

Do people really really think GB is gonna beat Atl by more than 3pts.?, Honestly think people are overlooking how good Atlanta is this year, great passing game, great run game, solid defense, and I'm pretty sure their special teams are not to shabby either, Atlanta is a team I think alot of people are overlooking, and if any team has the tools to beat GB it's Atl, especially at home in front of that Hotlanta crowd, the Falcons are about the last team in the NFC I wanted my Packers to go up against, I think they're the only team left in the NFC that matches up with the Pack is just about every facet of the game (I think GB has a slight edge on the defensive side of the ball, however Atl has a clear advantage in the run game, everywhere else I think they're pretty evenly matched), I am predicting the Pack to win but I think it's either going to be in OT or by a last min. FG

Pittsburgh's looking sluggish out there, Ravens are capitalizing big time on their mistakes.

Having no challenges left is going to severely hurt the Steelers, you know how these games go, a controversial call that could be overturned with a challenge can make all the difference.

The Steelers aren't playing like themselves. I would attribute that to rust, but they looked fucking great on their first drive, so that's no excuse.

I'm positive they'll catch up and make this a game though. At least, I certainly hope so. I can't stand Baltimore.

Man... the Steelers offensive line was FANTASTIC on picking up the blitz on that first drive, and since then they haven't been able to contain anybody. What the fuck? You would have figured Baltimore coming off a short week would be the ones to lose steam as the game goes on, not the other way around. Jesus...

Now Pittsburgh's got something going. Let's see if they can turn the momentum their way before half time. They need a touchdown this drive though, not a Field Goal.

Told you.

This is playoff football, in PITTSBURGH no less. You have to play like you have a pair of balls between your legs.

And having a lackluster Kicker comes back to haunt Pittsburgh. Suisham is shit and always will be.

Damn Ravens are cleanin' house, huh? While I've always disliked the Steelers, the possibility of meeting Baltimore again in the Playoffs after what happened last year with my Patriots does not have me sitting easy. I'm confident we could defeat the Steelers again, but I'm still not sure about the Ravens.

Damn Ravens are cleanin' house, huh? While I've always disliked the Steelers, the possibility of meeting Baltimore again in the Playoffs after what happened last year with my Patriots does not have me sitting easy. I'm confident we could defeat the Steelers again, but I'm still not sure about the Ravens.

If I were a New England fan, I would actually want revenge from last year. Besides, New England has corrected their run defense since then. There's absolutely no way Rice would have the same performance this year that he had last year against the Patriots. You don't beat Bill Belichick twice the same way. Baltimore would have to rely on Flacco, and I just don't see Flacco being able to keep up with the points the Pats offense would put up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back