NBA Thread - 2009-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason they didn't keep Parker was because to sign Turkoglu they had to renounce the rights to Parker, Delfino, and Shawn Marion. It was impossible for them to afford to sign Turkoglu and still keep any of those guys.

Well they havent renounced the rights to Marion or Parker as far as I am aware. They are working on a sign and trade for both of those guys, or so Ive read. Also have read that they are trying to get Delfino back even with the signing of Turk.

Well they havent renounced the rights to Marion or Parker as far as I am aware. They are working on a sign and trade for both of those guys, or so Ive read. Also have read that they are trying to get Delfino back even with the signing of Turk.

There's been talks of a sign and trade between Toronto and Dallas for Shawn Marion but if nothing materializes then the Raptors have to renounce the rights to those three guys so they can sign Turkoglu. Either way, Delfino is the only one of the three guys who has much of a chance to be a Raptor next season.

Yup agree Delfino will be only one suiting up for the Raptors next season. Was just pointing out that although they may have to renounce the rights to Marion and Parker, that they havent done it as of yet.

The Raptors resigned Bargnani today. 5 years/50 million. Clearly they see this guy as a big player for the team. I think this is good. Maybe a bit too much, but he'll be a good player for Toronto. He's finding his groove now at center and I think he can only get better.

Shoooot guys, what's got all of your panties in a bunch? All you're doing is focusing on the negative of the situation. You're forgetting about the potentially massive upside this kid could have.

• He's already a great defender, which is something that is hard to teach. Either you are, or you aren't.
  • He's very athletic; he's built well to play the game.
  • Christian is only 20 years old.
  • Playing ball in Europe is more advanced than playing in NCAA. He's playing higher level players.
  • He costs the Cavaliers literally nothing right now. They can store him in Europe, develop his game, bring him over when he's ready, and most importantly, save money to keep Varejao. After all, if you want to stay successful, keep all the pieces together and build.

Let me refer you to Nic Batum, SF of the Portland Trailblazers. This kid was drafted by Houston in the first round. It was a bit of a head scratcher. He was traded for by Portland and came in, competing for a spot on the roster against Luke Jackson (A former Duck, God bless his soul). Anyway, he really didn't have an offensive game, but he's got long arms and a good knowledge of the game and won a starting spot because of his defensive skills. Batum has a huge future, and if this guy is anything like him, the Cavs got a great player. Now, the reason I gave him a C rating was because of the unknowns, but the risk vs reward comes into play. The risk was none, and the reward could be great. Dejuan Blair isn't going to really make a difference for Cleveland next year if they pick him, and he certainly isn't going to be anything special in the future. Too small, man. In conclusion, this pick isn't as bad as some seem to think.

10 mill a year for someone that was considered a flop? God what has the NBA come to, this is almost as worst as Boguts 12 million a year and I am a Australian.

So it looks like the Celts are once again championship contenders ( Well they are looking better I mean) with the signing of Wallace, but as I said before I dont really think that Wallace is as good as people are making him out to be. He is old and hasnt really done anything the past 2 or 3 seasons. Same with Allen, Allen showed his age in the finals against magic, Pierce is also getting old so I dont really know how things will go for them, still I find Rondo I really good player.

Lakers with Artest is good, put still I liked Ariza and I am sad that he left, Oh well Artest is better as he can score better and defend better. I am still intrigued on which road Odom takes, after the signing of Artest I am thinking he will stay for another ring.

Also have read that Andre Miller to Portland is 90% complete. Possible S&T for Blaker and others if they dont sign him outright. Blazers also have some interest in Odom.

Fucking dude! I've been on vacation and haven't been able to follow much. I've done my best to keep posting, though. Can I see a source, though? I've expressed my interest in Miller, as point guard is our biggest hole. We're pretty loaded at small forward, with Webster, Rudy, Batum, and Outlaw. (I want to get rid of Outlaw, man. He or Webster.) Blake leaving would be good too, no matter how much I like Steve Blake the person. Bayless would get more time to play, and even if he isn't ready to make shots for others, he could be the lead scorer of the second team. As for Odom, I'm not sure where he'd fit in. Good player, and if his attitude and mindset are right, then I'm all for him. Channing is gone, so LA needs a back-up, but would Odom play off the bench? In my mind, Odom and Miller puts us up at the top of the west, right with San Antonio and just behind LA. This could be exciting.

Bargani for 10 million a year? Really? I guess he's face of their franchise and with Bosh most likely leaving after this year that want to make sure they keep him, but that just seems like too much. I'm sure they could've used that money in other ways, but I guess that still think Bargani can develop into a star even though it looks like he'll never be more than a 4th option.

Considering Batum had to go up against Luke Jackson for a starting spot I don't think it's surprising that he made it. Batum is a very solid player though. He's athletic and a great defender. I see him making an impact in the leage for 10 to 15 years.

However, Portland could afford to take the risk by picking him and to wait for him since they weren't in posititon to be immeadiate title contenders. For Clevland, the time is now. They could have really used someone to help them this year and there were plenty of guys still left on the board. I guess that wanted to save cap space to sign a big free agent, but unfortunately that hasn't worked out for them thus far.

Honestly, I dont think it would have mattered who the cavs picked because they wouldnt have gotten any game time. They will stick to the same old squad and be just like the Lakers.

However I do like this dude, solid defender but his offence could improve, which it will. I hope he turns out like Josh Howard, except without the dope.

Also have read that Andre Miller to Portland is 90% complete. Possible S&T for Blaker and others if they dont sign him outright. Blazers also have some interest in Odom.

Portland is definitely the favorite, but 90% complete seems a little high. I've heard Portland is still a little weary about his age.

In other news it looks like Allen Iverson to Miami has become a possibility. It would only be a one year deal but either way this has disaster written all over it. Obviously Wade is the 2 guard so Iverson would be playing the point, which has never worked in the past. He and Wade both demand a lot of shots, which is bad. And I believe having Iverson will stunt the growth of the young Miami players.

Also Antonio McDyess has narrowed his choices down to San Antonio and Detroit. The Spurs need another big man and they are willing to offer their whole mid level exception. The Pistons would really like to keep McDyess, but if they can't then they would turn to someone like Brandon Bass from Dallas.

Bass is a really solid player. If I were Detroit I'd definetly rather have him than an aging McDyess. I think he's a really good fit in San Antonio though. They are pretty weak up front so he'd be a big addition who gives them even more experience. The Spurs could be a really scary team this year.

Today is signing day. What I'm looking to see is if anyone can steal a player out from under the nose of another team, such as Ariza from Houston. Things like that excite me. But alas, it's doubtful to happen. Ariza will sign with Houston, Charlie and Ben with Detroit, Artest with LA, Hedo with Toronto, etc. This has been a great off-season thus far. Just wait till next year.

Edit: Artest already signed.

I've just heard that it's very likely that Odom will be signing with the Lakers:

• He isn't receiving much interest from other teams in the league.
  • He and Ron Artest are close friends, having grown up playing ball together at the park.
  • He's a locker room leader, and the most popular Laker. To keep team chemistry, the Lakers need Lamar Odom.
  • He's really not that expensive, and the Lakers have the money, with Ariza leaving and Artest only commanding a mid-level exception.

In short, the Lakers have the money and little competition. Odom probably wants to play with his friend, and he's loved by his teammates. He'll contend for a title, too. I really don't see why he wouldn't sign.

29. New York Knicks (From Los Angeles)
Toney Douglas
6'2 183 lbs. SG
Flordia State

toney-douglas1.jpg

Toney Douglas is 23 years old, staying in college five years, which I admire. He played as a true freshman and had an outstanding year, playing all but 5 minutes a game and scoring 16.9 points. He didn't play at all his sophomore year, having to sit for a full year after transferring from Auburn. His sophomore year was lackluster, scoring 12.7 points a game, but shooting just under 40% from long range. His stats improved Junior year, but he exploded as a senior. He was a prolific scorer, averaging 21.5 points and improving his rebounding, assist-making, forcing more turnovers and shooting 81% from the line.

I think he's a great fit for the Knicks. I don't think he'll start, but he could be an explosive scorer off the bench. They only had to give up $3 million to LA, and got a steal. He's been compared to Ben Gordon (and Eddie House), but is a much better defender. He shoots the three very well, and can make the clutch shot. He sometimes takes an unfavorable shot, but I'll take the good with the bad. He's a bit small and wouldn't be able to match up with larger guards, but he'll likely be guarded by someone bigger and slower than he is. All in all, excellent scorer and defender. He could be an all-star someday.

48.7's Grade: A-​

Rasheed Wallace has made it officially as well, signing with The Boston Celtics. The Celtics are aging, but still have a beast of a line-up, with Rasheed Wallace, Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Ray Allen. That's four all-stars and one of the brightest talents in the league. They should be tough to beat with the depth that they have.

Ron Artest also just had his conference with the Lakers, saying he hood-alized ESPN and doesn't mind if his clothes don't make if from Houston. He seems genuinely excited to be in LA.

The Raptors are close to a sign-and-trade for Marion with the Mavericks. Dallas will send Stackhouse to Raptors, who will flip him to another team for considerations. Marion is a good player and will help any team who has him. The Raptors have to make this move to sign Turkoglu.

The Birdman had resigned a 5 year deal with the Nuggets. I think he's a really important player for them. When K-Mart is too busy sulking and whining they can put hiim in to give them some energy. He was among the league leaders in blocks despite coming off the bench. If Denver wants to go as deep as they did this year, they're definetly going to need this guy to repeat his performance from last season.

Toney Douglass was a great pick for the Knicks, especially if they lose Nate Robinson. He's a great scorer and a very good defender. He's a Charlie Bell/Ben Gordon type of player. He's not as good of a scorer as Gordon but he is a much better defender. The only problem is that he's a little undersized for a 2 guard and he doesn't have the passing skills to be a point guard. Overall he was a great pick for the Knicks. I'm actually surprised the Lakers didn't keep the pick and take him.

Why do you admire that he spent all that time in college? Five years, and he is the 29th pick of the first round. The odds of his succeeding in the NBA are about 100000000000000000000000000000 to 1.

The only reason I'm glad he spent five years in college is that he will be able to get a job when he fails in the D-League.

Time in college is usually an inverse relationship to ability to play. NBA teams draft on athletic ability and depend on the superior coaching to develop players. He was a token pick, and stands zero chance of being an effective NBA player.

Antonio McDyess to San Antonio. Whew, I damn near pissed myself when I heard the Big Baby rumor. Thank god we got Dice instead. We lost Sheed, but pick up the next best thing. Gotta give props to the FO for stepping up and having one of the best, if not the best off-season in the NBA with the additions of RJ, steal of the draft in DeJuan Blair and now adding McDyess, a veteran big man to go along side Duncan. We needed a athletic scoring wingman, and starting PF, and got them both without giving up much. All sorts of win.

McDyess averaged a double-double in 30 MPG last season, and fits what we do. Great signing. Assuming we can stay healthy, we’ll go toe to toe with LA this year. Especially if Odom bails.

Oh, and LOL @ Poor Bron and Cleveland. Fail on Artest, Sheed, Dice and Ariza. OUCH.

Yeah McDyees is a great signing for the Spurs. If they stay healthy they are going to be huge force in the Western Conference. A starting five of Parker/Manu/Jefferson/McDyess/Duncan is all kinds of mouthwatering for Spurs fans and they will go extremely deep into the playoffs, especially if they remian healthy all year. Which has been an achilles heel for them in the last couple of years.

Also the Bulls have agreed terms with Jannenro Pargo. Not a bad signing for only $2 million. Will be a great sparkplug off the pine.

Im unsure about the Birdman's contract. He is already 32 and will be 37 when his contract expires. He is a great huslte guy off the bench good rebounder and shot blocker. What will happen when he slows down with age?? Or will his drug layoff help him?

Dam all the west teams seem to be getting stronger this year. I thought Lakers could handle Spurs with Artest and the Jefferson, but with the signing of Dice this just seems stupid. Spurs are up there with the NBA now, probably going as good as boston if they have chemistry. No one on boston could stop the athetic pace of Jefferson, not even Pierce, Sheed wont stop Duncan but then again Garnett might play on him. Dam still Lakers are talented, with a great rotation at the point guard position ( Brown for the fast paced guards and Farmar for the slower, more passy guards).

If Marion goes to Dallas this just makes the west that much better, you have dirk and Kidd ( even tho they are old its hard to stop a shooter, no matter how old. Its even hard when they are playing PF), Marion for D and then they have howard, dampie´r and or Diop. God this is a hard team. Oh and Terry of the bench, come on.

Apparently the trade for Marion is all but done. Marion to Dallas, Stackhouse to Memphis (who will buy him out, and Mavericks will give them 2 mil to help the buyout), and the Raptors will get draft picks/cash considerations.

Marion's contract is not bad either, 5 year/40 million. He's going to be a good player for Dallas and I think he'll help out Dirk also.

Also, Memphis is apparently close to a contract with Iverson for 1 year/5 million. They also said that there would be a clause in the event of insubordination on the part of Iverson.

Oh know, if Iverson went to Memphis then how is my man, future scoring champion OJ Mayo going to live. Will he go to the bench or what, I like Iverson but cant he go to a place that actually needs a shooting/point guard? Like Thunder or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back