NBA Thread - 2009-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great move for Dallas. Starting fice of Kidd/Howard/Marion/Dirk/Dampier will be great. If they get Gortart off the bench to go with Terry and Barea, looking very good. If they could somehow get Bass to stay its looking extremely good.

Varejao has apprently signed back with the cavs for $50 million over 6 years.

Not really understanding why Memphis wants Iverson. If I'm trying to develop a young squad, the last person I'd want on my team is Allen Iverson. Too many character and selfishness on the court issues. He pretty much destroyed Detroit last year, and it's a team full of veterans with loads of experience.

The Memphis situation with A.I makes no sense whatsoever. The Grizzlies are better off investing time into their young guys like Gay, Conley and Mayo to take them somewhere. Have already brought in one guy with some character issues in Zch Randolph. Why would you want to bring in Iverson, a guy whou brough the Detriot Pistons to the ground, into your organisation to infect some of the pretty good young talent that you have.

The only reason I can see that the Grizzlies would wanan do this is to get more bums on seats and for them to have a name that is recognized league wide on their roster. Iverson was a star of the league at one stage, and perhaps the Grizzlies are going to try to use his name value to put bums on seats to generate more money.

Wow, the Marion deal became very complicated. Bare with me here. It now involved 4 teams.

To Dallas: Shawn Marion (5 year/39 million) and Kris Humphries, and Greg Buckner (likely to be released)

To Grizzlies: Jerry Stackhouse (will be bought out with help from Mavericks)

To Raptors: DeVean George, Antoine Wright, they also preserve their mid-level exception by getting Turkoglu in a sign-and-trade. This can also help Toronto sign Delfino.

To Magic: trade exception that they can use in future deals worth 7 million.

Why do you admire that he spent all that time in college?

Because that's how things should be. Players used to care about their education and their team.

Five years, and he is the 29th pick of the first round.

Well damn, fromthesouth, I don't know about you, but I'd give anything to be the 29th pick of the first round in the NBA Draft.

The odds of his succeeding in the NBA are about 100000000000000000000000000000 to 1.

Why? What great knowledge do you have to say that? He's a good scorer, great defender, has an excellent 3-point shot... I think he can succeed.

The only reason I'm glad he spent five years in college is that he will be able to get a job when he fails in the D-League.

:lmao: Did this kid beat up on your team in college? Cause daaang, fromthesouth, you seem to have something against him.

Time in college is usually an inverse relationship to ability to play.

Expand on that, would you? Are you saying that the more time spent in college, the better prepared? Or do you mean the less time spent in college, the better athlete?

NBA teams draft on athletic ability and depend on the superior coaching to develop players.

Well, this guy is a pretty good athlete and has a great coach in New York, so I say that he's pretty well off.

He was a token pick, and stands zero chance of being an effective NBA player.

Says fromthesouth, the be all, end all when it comes to basketball. Is he too small? They said the same thing about Aaron Brooks, Nate Robinson, etc. Look how well they do. I don't see any reason to say that he will not succeed. I think he has a very good chance, especially in Mike D'Antoni's fast paced, high-powered offense.

I actually think that Douglas will be a decent player. He's a good enough defener and a decent scorer. He's not going to be a star or anything, but he can certainly help this Knicks. He should be able to back Duhon up at point guard and maybe even play a little shooting guard.

Yeah, I don't know what the hell Memphis is doing. If they sign AI, I'm sure him and Mayo will get in a fight over someone taking too many shots by January. Iverson should only go to a contender will some veteran leadership, like Sheed to Boston.

Looks like Toronto got a pretty good deal there. If they get to keep Delfino, that'd be big. George and Wright are also serviceable players if they keep them. Magic also did a good job of getting something for Hedo, even if it's not an actual player.

Marion in Dallas could be interesting. He should put up some big number, especially with Kidd there, but I'm still not completely sold on him. I have a feeling that he's only going to get worse at this point in his career.

The Lakers are 6 million dollars over the salary cap and Lamar Odom wants $10 million. The Lakers will offer $8 million, maybe. I don't know how a deal is going to work out there. It's not looking too good. It's funny, because The Lakers look to be treating Lamar Odom with the same nonchalant, indifferent attitude that he is known for treating his teams with. I wonder where he'll be.

In other news, Stephan Marbury will not play for the Celtics. He is considering playing in Europe.

A couple of trades and signings are heating up:

Cavaliers are close to signing Anthony Parker to a 2 year/$6 million contract.

Three way trade being discussed:
To Chicago: Carlos Boozer
To Portland: Kirk Hinrich
To Utah: Tyrus Thomas

Utah would use the financial flexibility to re-sign Millsap. Portland apparently prefers Hinrich over Millsap.

The 3 way deal looks like speculation for now, but it does make sense. Hinrich could play point for Portland and be a better scoring threat than Blake. Boozer would be an all star caliber big man to play with Rose which is scary. Thomas hasn't put it together yet and may never do so, but if I were the Jazz I'd really want to keep Milsap, I think he can give them 20 and 10 if he starts next season.

One more piece in the Marion to Dallas trade. I would guess I am the only guy on this forum that cares. But youn Australian centre Natahn Jawai has also been traded from the Raptors to Dallas. Dallas seem to have a lot of guarnteed contracts, so it pains me to say that Natahn might find himself waived.

Looks like Anthony Parker is going to Cleveland. Good pick up for the imo, I hear they are after Frye as well. Would be 2 good additions to the roster to put around LeBron.

The three team trade benefits Chicago, as they get the low post socrer they have been yearning for, and Portland, who get a good Point Guard. But there must be more pieces ot be involved... or else Utah get the shaft. Giving up Boozer to get Tyrus Thomas not good for Utah. PLus in that deal Portland get Hinrich for nothing. So still a bit to go on that proposed trade I think.

Yeah, I don't know what the hell Memphis is doing. If they sign AI, I'm sure him and Mayo will get in a fight over someone taking too many shots by January. Iverson should only go to a contender will some veteran leadership, like Sheed to Boston.

How so? He never complained about being in Detroit, It was the fans who were talking about him not being the Iverson that did take many shots.

He got benched and didn't mind it, I don't see why It would be a big deal if Memphis or Miami took him.

However, Memphis offered him a 1 year deal. So, I'm sure he'll sign with Miami.

Going to Memphis doesn't make much sense for either party. Memphis isn't going to compete for a few years, so they should be focusing on their younger talent rather than an aging Iverson. Why would Iverson want to go to a most likely shitty Memphis team anyway?

I think Miami would be a decent fit. AI should be smart enough to realize that Wade is the guy there, but he can be a possible piece to the championship puzzle. For Miami, it's a move that would make Wade happy, considering he threatened to leave if the organization didn't aquire a championsip piece soon.

How so? He never complained about being in Detroit, It was the fans who were talking about him not being the Iverson that did take many shots.

What are you talking about? All Iverson did was complain. Even when he was getting his way he still complained. He was a complete failure in Detroit and the only person he can blame is himself.

He got benched and didn't mind it, I don't see why It would be a big deal if Memphis or Miami took him.

Again you have no clue what you are talking about. Iverson hated being benched in Detroit. That's why his "back injury" started acting up again and Detroit left him off the playoff roster. He was a cancer for Detroit. Him coming off the bench was what was best for the team and he refused to accept that. He was even quoted as saying that he is not a bench player and did not want to come off the bench.

However, Memphis offered him a 1 year deal. So, I'm sure he'll sign with Miami.

No matter where he goes he's probably only going to get a one year deal. Even Miami said that's what they would probably give him.

Everyone, I apologize for not posting as much in here in the last few days. I've been on vacation in California. I'll be home tonight. Expect a flurry of posts.

The Blazers have offered Paul Millsap, a restricted free agent belonging to the Utah Jazz, a four-year contract worth $32-36 million. The Jazz have seven days to match the offer, or he'll be suiting up in the Rose City next year. Millsap is 24 years of age, a power forward out of Louisiana Tech. He's 6'8 and 250 lbs. He's a physical player, 8.6 rebounds per game (3.3 offensive) last year as he started for an injured Carlos Boozer. He scored just under 14 points, and is showing signs of improvement. The Jazz have been trying to move Boozer to have the money to resign Millsap. It's been said that Paul, while not as good as Boozer right now, could be better in a couple of years. That would make him a perennial all-star.

As a Blazer fan, I have to love the upside that Paul Millsap has. He could develop into a great player, but I really can't figure where he goes on our team. He'd have to play as a back-up to Aldridge, or one of them would have to start at Center. But, then you have Joel and Greg on the bench. This move doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, personally. I've always thought our biggest need was at point, but now that we are missing Channing Frye, I suppose we need a second PF. This will put us right at the salary cap, or just a bit over. Paul Allen, our billionaire owner, has stated that any Luxury Tax money that we are charged in order to build a franchise, he has no problem paying.

The trade between Portland, Utah, and Chicago isn't likely to happen. Chicago refuses to give up Thomas and Hinrich both if the Blazers don't send Jerryd Bayless over. The Blazers have refused to do that. Bayless has the biggest upside of anyone on this team, and given time could turn into a superstar. He's one we have to keep. Maybe we could give them Blake and Outlaw... Hmm...

28. Minnesota (From Boston)
Wayne Ellington
6'5 202 lbs. SG
North Carolina

6a01156efbfa9e970c01156fbf585d970c-800wi

Wayne Ellington played on an elite team, the same system that the greatest basketball player of all-time came out of. He's had great coaching, big-game experience, and has stepped up to the plate when it mattered. He averaged 19.16 points in the tournament this year, scoring a high of 25 and low of 9. (If you take out the game against Oklahoma, his average raises to 21.2 points.) He averaged 15.8 points in his final year at UNC, down .8 from the previous year, but his assits, rebounds, field goal (and three point) percentage increased. He turned the ball over 1.6 times a game on average. Wayne is a good free throw shooter. He shot almost 84% as a freshman, but that total has decreased since, and he only shoots 77.7% now. That isn't a deal breaker, of course, but if ever in a late game situation, I'd prefer a guy shooting 84% to 77%. Ellington doesn't have any major injuries to worry about.

Minnesota finally picked someone other than a point guard. In today's game, a shooting guard is an important position. Gone are the days of the center being the center-piece of your team. Bryant, Wade, and Roy dominate today's game. Minnesota already drafted point guards to make opportunities, so it makes sense to draft someone to take those shots. I'd be comfortable letting Wayne Ellington, a 48% shooter, take those shots. Over all, good pick this late. They could have picked someone better in the 6 slot, like Stephen Curry.

48.7's grade: B​

Wayne Ellington was a good pick by Minnesota. The biggest reason for that is because after trading away Randy Foye and Mike Miller to Washington, they have 0 shooting guards on their roster. Ellington was often overshadowed because of the amount of talent that was on North Carolina, but he is a very good player. He's a great shooter all the way out to three point range and although his foul shooting percentage came down the last couple of years it was still good, especially in clutch situations. He's not the greatest defender and he does have some trouble getting to the basket and scoring, but at this point in the draft he was a good pick.

Because that's how things should be. Players used to care about their education and their team.

Well damn, fromthesouth, I don't know about you, but I'd give anything to be the 29th pick of the first round in the NBA Draft.

Why? What great knowledge do you have to say that? He's a good scorer, great defender, has an excellent 3-point shot... I think he can succeed.

:lmao: Did this kid beat up on your team in college? Cause daaang, fromthesouth, you seem to have something against him.

Expand on that, would you? Are you saying that the more time spent in college, the better prepared? Or do you mean the less time spent in college, the better athlete?

Well, this guy is a pretty good athlete and has a great coach in New York, so I say that he's pretty well off.

Says fromthesouth, the be all, end all when it comes to basketball. Is he too small? They said the same thing about Aaron Brooks, Nate Robinson, etc. Look how well they do. I don't see any reason to say that he will not succeed. I think he has a very good chance, especially in Mike D'Antoni's fast paced, high-powered offense.

You're probably right, but I am very wary of fifth year seniors. He couldn't get minutes as a freshman, so they redshirted him.

The NBA is about athleticism, and I don't think that he is athletic enough to play significant minutes at that level. I hope I'm wrong. I want everyone to succeed, but I hated this pick. New York should have taken DeJuan Blair here. He is too small to play in the Southwest division. How will he guard Scola, David West, Dirk? Blair could play well in D'Antoni's offense, picking up offensive rebounds. The Knicks screwed up that pick.

Ellington, however, was a great pick. I don't think I have ever seen him take a bad shot, and on Minnesota, that makes him the second best player on the team. A backcourt of Flynn and Ellington could be the best result any team other than the Clippers gets out of this draft.

You're probably right, but I am very wary of fifth year seniors. He couldn't get minutes as a freshman, so they redshirted him.

He transferred from Auburn. When you transfer schools, you have to sit for a year. Besides, he averaged over 35 minutes a game as a freshman. Good day, sir.

The NBA is about athleticism, and I don't think that he is athletic enough to play significant minutes at that level. I hope I'm wrong. I want everyone to succeed, but I hated this pick.

The guy is 6'2 and dunks easily, and has the endurance to run up and down the court for nearly the full game. He's pretty athletic, I think.

New York should have taken DeJuan Blair here.

His knees are too risky.

He is too small to play in the Southwest division. How will he guard Scola, David West, Dirk?

The Knicks are in a different conference. I don't see what you're getting at. And since when does the shooting guard defend the opposing team's power forward?

Blair could play well in D'Antoni's offense, picking up offensive rebounds. The Knicks screwed up that pick.

I'm not big on Blair.

Yeah I also fail to see why the Blazers offered for Millsap. Personally I think he is a tad overrated. Dont get me wrong he is good player and is versitile but not what everyone makes him out to be, he in my opinion will never be a Al Jefferson or a 20-10 guy.

As 48.7 said, Bayless could be a superstar. I love the kid and failed to see why blazers hardly played him last season, he must have some potential if he was picked in the top 10 of last years draft. Heck Blake isnt even that good, Bayless if thrown in the right path, could be a fucking legend. Dont get rid of him Blazers, Insted make him come of the bench and offer for someone that is worth offering for in Andre Miller.

The Raptors signed Jarrett Jack to an offer sheet worth 4 years/20 million. I think this is a good move because Jack is a good PG and someone that the Raptors need. Apparently it is unlikely that the Pacers will match the offer since they don't want to go near the cap, but we'll see in the next 7 days.

The Raptors are also talking about bringing in Rasho Nesterovic and Carlos Delfino. They've played for Toronto before and they were decent role players. Also, if Jack doesn't become a Raptor, they would swing their attention to Kleiza.

White "Pippen" Mamba;1208692 said:
Yeah I also fail to see why the Blazers offered for Millsap. Personally I think he is a tad overrated. Dont get me wrong he is good player and is versitile but not what everyone makes him out to be, he in my opinion will never be a Al Jefferson or a 20-10 guy.

It's too soon to judge. Last year was his first real time to show his stuff, and he showed signs that he could be great. Considering he's a pretty big guy, still has plenty of time to improve his offense, and already brings almost 10 boards down a game, 20-10 isn't that hard to imagine.

As 48.7 said, Bayless could be a superstar. I love the kid and failed to see why blazers hardly played him last season, he must have some potential if he was picked in the top 10 of last years draft. Heck Blake isnt even that good, Bayless if thrown in the right path, could be a fucking legend. Dont get rid of him Blazers, Insted make him come of the bench and offer for someone that is worth offering for in Andre Miller.

Bayless can't create shots for others. Sergio and Blake were better for the team last year. He'll play this year.

Jack is a pretty decent player who could be useful off the bench. Delfino is average at best and in the immortal words of Stephen A. Smith "Raaaasho Na-STAR-a-vich?" He won't be helpful at all, but I guess there's no one else out there.

I'm completely sold on Milsap. He may not be the most skilled player, but he plays very hard and has the ability to be a top 10 rebounder in the league. It would be big for Portland to sign him, but I think the Jazz are going to keep him.

Not so sure about Bayless. I think he still has awhile to go and he's a little undersized. He should be a very good scorer pretty soon, but I'm not sure about the rest of his game.

I'm completely sold on Milsap. He may not be the most skilled player, but he plays very hard and has the ability to be a top 10 rebounder in the league. It would be big for Portland to sign him, but I think the Jazz are going to keep him.

Utah is already 4 million over the cap, and we stacked the front end of Millsap's contract to where he will make 11+ million in the first year of his contract. Unless the Jazz have the desire to pay a lot of luxury tax, they won't be able to resign him.

Jack is a pretty decent player who could be useful off the bench. Delfino is average at best and in the immortal words of Stephen A. Smith "Raaaasho Na-STAR-a-vich?" He won't be helpful at all, but I guess there's no one else out there.

He was finally starting to play more physical the sam mitchell wanted before we foolishly traded him for Jermaine ( i cant stay heathy ) o'neal. I miss TJ Ford too:(.

Jarrett Jack is a good point guard which we need abackup for Calderon. Delfino and Kleiza are both very good bench players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back