NBA Thread - 2009-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read that the Cavs are looking to sign some big wing players in order to switch James to Power Forward. Some of the guys they are apparently targeting are Anthony Parker, Marquis Daniels, Grant Hill and Matt Barnes.

The negotiating period for free agents started today, although players can't officially sign until July 8th.

Not as many big names as next years crop, but there are still a lot of quality players. Some of the free agents include:

Ben Gordon
Hedo Turkoglu
Andre Miller
Jason Kidd
Rasheed Wallace
Lamar Odom
Trevor Ariza
Charlie Villanueva
Anderson Varajeo
Ron Artest
Mike Bibby
Shawn Marion
Allen Iverson
David Lee (Restricted)
Marvin Williams (Restricted)
Nate Robinson (Restricted)

Some of the teams with cap room include the Pistons, Bobcats, Grizzlies, Hawks, and Trail Blazers

The Pistons started off the negotiating period by agreeing to contracts with Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva.

So where do you think some of these other guys will end up and do you think any of these signings will make a big impact?

I think the Gordon signing from the Pistons was pretty good. Not sure about Charlie V though is allergic to defense but can fill it up on his day. Think this may spell the end of Rip Hamilton in Detroit though. Cant see the Pistons wanting to bring Gordon off the bench.

I think the Gordon signing from the Pistons was pretty good. Not sure about Charlie V though is allergic to defense but can fill it up on his day. Think this may spell the end of Rip Hamilton in Detroit though. Cant see the Pistons wanting to bring Gordon off the bench.

I agree Charlie V isn't a great defender, but the Pistons need scoring on the front line and the Pistons are a good enough defensive team where they can hide his defensive flaws. As far as trading Rip it could happen, but don't count out the Pistons keeping three guards. Gordon was scoring 20 ppg off the bench in Chicago and he can do the same in Detroit. Also it is very reminiscent of the Bad Boy days in Detroit with Isiah Thomas and Joe D starting and the Microwave Vinnie Johnson coming off the bench.

Ben Gordon
Hedo Turkoglu
Andre Miller
Jason Kidd
Rasheed Wallace
Lamar Odom
Trevor Ariza
Charlie Villanueva
Anderson Varajeo
Ron Artest
Mike Bibby
Shawn Marion
Allen Iverson
David Lee (Restricted)
Marvin Williams (Restricted)
Nate Robinson (Restricted)

The guys I highlighted above, are some of my favorites, and the ones I'll be keeping my eyes on. I am not a fan of any one team, so I root for certain guys. Ariza is one of the best of this group, but I fear he'll be overpaid by a non-contender. The Matrix may get signed for a low amount, and hopefully he can stay healthy, and pick up a big deal in the future. Turkoglu will be a good signing for anyone. He can make a non-contender a contender, and can move a mid-level team past a team like Toronto or Atlanta.

I like the moves that San Antonio and Detroit have both made, and am making them my early picks for the Finals. Cleveland is slowed down by Shaq, and Boston may be losing too many key parts, and we still don't know the health of KG, or even how well Pierce or Allen will age.

RJ is my favorite player in the game right now, so maybe I am overstating his pick-up, but if the Spurs add 'Sheed like I'm hearing, they may have 5 starters in the all-star game. Detroit getting Gordon and Villanueva are both big signings. Gordon is still very young, and can be great as a starter for them, or off the bench.

Ben Gordon

From what I understand, Detroit really wants him. And if they get him, along with Doug Collins, who I think is tremendous, as the new head coach, then the Pistons will finally be back on the right track to becoming contenders again in the East.

Hedo Turkoglu

Rumor is Portland is lobbying to get him, and I think that's a perfect fit for both parties.

Andre Miller

Not sure where he'll end up, but wherever it is... he'll definitely make an impact. He's one of the most underrated players in the league, in my opinion.

Jason Kidd

It seems to be between New York or staying in Dallas for him, and for his sake, I think he should stay in Dallas. New York is just not a good fit for him, or them. Dallas, with one or two more key players (big men, preferably), still have a shot at winning a Title.

Rasheed Wallace

If this motherfucker ends up in Boston like they want, then who will be able to defeat that team? My God man. That'd be one of the greatest starting lineups in history.

But if he doesn't go there (I really think he will though), then Dallas is the next best place for him.

Lamar Odom
Trevor Ariza

It'd make my summer if both of these guys left LA, especially Odom.

Ron Artest

I was pretty sure he was going to stay in Houston, but with the possibility of Yao Ming missing the entire season, that changes things a bit. But I hope he stays and that Yao gets healthy. I'm so sadden by Yao's misfortunes. It sucks that kind of shit happens to such classy and talented people like him.

Mike Bibby

Ahh, my favorite player in the entire league. As one of his biggest fans, all I'm hoping for is that he ends up on a contender. I haven't heard any rumors yet, but if it were up to me... he'd be going to Cleveland or Dallas. Those are the best fits for him. I just hope to God he doesn't end up in LA. Mike Bibby in a Lakers uniform is something I never, ever want to see.

Shawn Marion

Very underrated player. I think he should go to New York, though. Dude has plenty of years left in him, and signing a nice contract with them, reuniting with his old coach, and perhaps help making New York a playoff contender seems like what's best for him currently, I think.

Allen Iverson

I have no idea about this one. I love Iverson, but he could very well end up like Latrell Sprewell. I hope not, but from the reports I've been hearing, not many teams want anything to do with him, which is a shame because the guy can still give you 40 points on any given night.

Of all the people listed, I'd say the most important free agent would be Allen Iverson. I mean, the Pistons fought for him for a while and shortly after The Nuggets traded Iverson to the Pistons, he gets injured. Not having A.I. in the Pistons line-up really affected their record and their playoff spot, in my opinion. I absolutely hate the Pistons, but I'm used to seeing them dominate the league and win a lot, so I'm just saying that they need A.I. if they want to continue their dominant ways. Look at how they faired in the playoffs this past season. I don't like Iverson in Detroit... I'm just saying this in the Pistons point of view.

I like Hedo Turkoglu and I like the Orlando Magic. He played a big part in the playoffs for the Magic and losing him, or not fighting hard enough to keep him will end up hurting him. The team of Hedo Turkoglu, Dwight Howard, my man Rashard Lewis, and newly-required Vince Carter would be a very effective team.

As an NBA fan living in Philadelphia, I want the best for the 76ers. Andre Miller is one of the better players on the Sixers and of course I want him to stay. But after skipping practice and their season ended, I'm not too sure that Miller even wants to be associated with the Sixers.

Jason Kidd, my 4th favorite NBA player, playing for the Dallas Mavericks, my 5th favorite team equals greatness. This is the team that Jason Kidd was picked by in the NBA Draft in 1996, #2 pick and he looks at home in Dallas. He's back to his NBA roots and I would hate to see him leave. The two Jasons (Kidd and Terry), along with Dirk Nowitzki is what made the Spurs lose in the first round of the playoffs for the first time since 2000. It works!

As for the rest, I don't really have a strong opinion on their free agency status, but I wish them the best in their decision.

Of all the people listed, I'd say the most important free agent would be Allen Iverson. I mean, the Pistons fought for him for a while and shortly after The Nuggets traded Iverson to the Pistons, he gets injured. Not having A.I. in the Pistons line-up really affected their record and their playoff spot, in my opinion. I absolutely hate the Pistons, but I'm used to seeing them dominate the league and win a lot, so I'm just saying that they need A.I. if they want to continue their dominant ways. Look at how they faired in the playoffs this past season. I don't like Iverson in Detroit... I'm just saying this in the Pistons point of view.

You can't be serious. Getting Iverson was one of the worst things that ever happened to the Pistons. He was a cancer. He caused a rift between Rip Hamilton and Michael Curry and he was horrible for the Pistons chemistry. If anything the Pistons would have had a better season without Iverson playing at all. His bullshit back injury wasn't the reason he didn't play in the playoffs, it was because he was hurting the team with his selfishness both on and off the court.

Jason Kidd, my 4th favorite NBA player, playing for the Dallas Mavericks, my 5th favorite team equals greatness. This is the team that Jason Kidd was picked by in the NBA Draft in 1996, #2 pick and he looks at home in Dallas. He's back to his NBA roots and I would hate to see him leave. The two Jasons (Kidd and Terry), along with Dirk Nowitzki is what made the Spurs lose in the first round of the playoffs for the first time since 2000. It works!

He was drafted in 1994. If he's one of your favs, you would know he was co-rookie of the year in '94.

I heard Rasheed to Boston. I'm not a big fan of his, but I am of the Celtics, and this would def make them the favorite again, he is a good player. I'd be nervous about having the 2 top technical foul guys in the league on the same team, but then again, that may cancel out. I would love to have Grant Hill on my team as well.

Well, well, well. Gordon goes to detroit, now for one I am really disappointed he left chicago, him and rose ( along with deng and Noah at there best) are a good 1-2 punch. Gordon may be a bad defender ( average at best) but he can just score at will which is why Chicago should have tried more to keep him, Oh well I like Gordon and hope he has a good future in front of him... Charlie went to pistons to, I don't like him at all and thjink he is just a useless player and is basically in the NBA for his size...

Now lets mvoe onto the Lakers Problem... Kobe didn't resign for less money. Mmm me being a big Laker fan I am very disappointed because I really like Odom and Ariza and theya re Lakers x-factors to win the championship this year. I hope Ariza can see pass how much money he is getting and stay at the Lakers and sign a 1-2 year deal just so they can give him more money in the future. Odom wants to stay in L.A and is probably getting a M.L.E.

As for Rasheed. Why are you guys saying that he is really good? He can shoot and defend well but look how old he is now. In detroit he was averaging 13 points a game ( or was it 12?). Now for a big guy that can step out and shoot that isn't very much. He should have been killing teams but nope he is to old and personally I don't think he will be as useful as people say.

I dont think Iverson will get many suitors. As Big Sexy said the guy is a cancer. I can maybe seem the Bobcats offering him some money. I believe they need a big time scorer and I still think AI can fill it up. But will probably have to take on a reduced role with guys like Felton, DJ and Bell in the backcourt.

I htink Hedo is a bad fit in Portland to be honest. Will bea second wing player that will need to control the ball, but wont be as good as Roy doing it. Of course he will be an upgrade on Outlaw at SF. But I think the Blazers should be on the look out for a better PG. Maybe Bibby or Miller anything other than Steve Blake.

Marion underrated? Id do nearly the other way and say that playing in D'Antoni's system in Phoenix inflated his numbers. Once he was shipped off to Miami and then Toronto his numbers dipped. Whilst still a good player, The Matrix, has shown he isnt as good as everyone intially thought in Phoenix, imo anyway. He would still be a good pickup and I think he would go well to hook up D'Antoni in New York. But with the KNicks pick him up seeing they have their eyes on LeBron next year?

Wallace to Boston would make the Celtics f'n sweet. He wont start over Perk or Garnett though. But off the bench... Celtics fans have to love this. But they might lose Big Baby and Poewe is gone for a while with his knee... so may even it all out. They are also looking at Anthony Parker has an experienced wing player off the bench.

Also hope that Odom and Ariza bolt. But I htink one will still be in LA next year.

Lamar Odom
Trevor Ariza

Being a Laker fan myself, I'm hoping that L.A can put something together to keep both of them. If I was to choose one, I would have to go ahead and choose Odom. Age aside, he would probably be the cheaper choice in the long run (check me on that) and it is real tough to find a 6'10'' player who is able to play a wide variety of positions on the court and is able to accept the roles he does and still be effective. I also think it's possible for Odom to take a pay cut in order to win a second championship.

Well, well, well. Gordon goes to detroit, now for one I am really disappointed he left chicago, him and rose ( along with deng and Noah at there best) are a good 1-2 punch. Gordon may be a bad defender ( average at best) but he can just score at will which is why Chicago should have tried more to keep him, Oh well I like Gordon and hope he has a good future in front of him... Charlie went to pistons to, I don't like him at all and thjink he is just a useless player and is basically in the NBA for his size...

Gordon to the Pistons is not a heartbreaker for most people in Chicago. After the Bulls were eliminated by the Celtics, a lot of people were saying not to resign him. Now I will not dismiss what he did while he was with the Bulls. Coming off the bench he was an extremely good offensive player, no doubt. He could go out and drop 50 one game, but the next he would barely do anything. But during the playoffs, he hit a few big shots, but when they needed him to calm down in game 7, he just kept shooting. Which brings me to my next point.

He doesn't choose most of his shots well. Sure he has the occassional shot in transition that he should take, but most of the time he shoots with a hand in his face, and doesn't look for his teammates. Half of the shots he would take were because he wouldn't drive into the open lane, easily shown in the playoffs, I think it was game 3 or 6, I don't remember. Just my opinion.

Just read that Ariza is leaning towards leaving the Lakers. Seems that he will end up in either Toronto or Portland. The Blazers and Raptors will battle it out for Hedo, and the loser will show Ariza the money.

Be interesting to see the contract that he signs. His great performance in the NBA finals will mean some extra cash in his pocket.

Well it's starting to look more and more like Rasheed Wallace will be heading to the Celtics, and as a C's fan I'm obviously very happy over that possibility. Apparently everyone from Garnett to Pierce wants Wallace on the team, and with Doc and Danny already pursuing him, I think it's only a matter of time before he signs with us.

Having Rasheed would be a big boost for us and would really help out KG so that he's not the only one dominating the post. With a healthy KG, a much improved Rondo, the scoring threats of Ray Allen and Paul Pierce and the possible addition of Rasheed Wallace, I'd say things are looking great for us this year. The Cavs can have old broken down Shaq, we don't want him.

I htink Hedo is a bad fit in Portland to be honest. Will bea second wing player that will need to control the ball, but wont be as good as Roy doing it. Of course he will be an upgrade on Outlaw at SF. But I think the Blazers should be on the look out for a better PG. Maybe Bibby or Miller anything other than Steve Blake.

I think he fits in perfectly. He can play the point, SF, or PF. We're pretty loaded at SF, but I think we'll see Hedo and Batum play with each other and Blake come off the bench. It doesn't matter much to me, though. Adding Hedo could never hurt your team.

Just read that Ariza is leaning towards leaving the Lakers. Seems that he will end up in either Toronto or Portland. The Blazers and Raptors will battle it out for Hedo, and the loser will show Ariza the money.

The Blazers are the leader for Turkoglu. It's looking more and more like we'll sign him every day. We have the cash for Ariza, too. He won't command more than 8-9 million, tops. I'm hesitant to have him after this:

[youtube]oefOOK8K_wY&feature=fvw[/youtube]

but he has been playing great and would be a good addition to an already loaded team.

The Cavs can have old broken down Shaq, we don't want him.

Shaq was healthy last year, finally. He had his best year since his first in Miami, averaging 17.8 PPG, 8.4 RPG and +20 Efficiency. Those are much better than Wallace's stats last year.

I think that the Bulls are really going to be hurting with the loss of Ben Gordon. Sure he didn't always take great shots, but he was their go to guy in the playoffs last year. His departure is going to put a lot of pressure on Rose in just his second year and they still don't know what they have with Deng coming off his injury.

By getting Gordon as well as Villineuva, I think that Detroit should be a lot better than last year. They got rid of AI who pissed off most of last season and Rasheed who was talented, by tended not to show up in big games and was somewhat of an attitude problem. If Stuckey and Bynum can handle to the point, the Pistons will have 2 great shooters with Gordon and Rip in addition to Villinueva and Maxiell down low, they just may be contenders in the East.

I think that the Bulls are really going to be hurting with the loss of Ben Gordon. Sure he didn't always take great shots, but he was their go to guy in the playoffs last year. His departure is going to put a lot of pressure on Rose in just his second year and they still don't know what they have with Deng coming off his injury.

Firstly, he was the go to guy at the end of like 2 of the games. Rose was the go to guy in game 1, and the rest of the rotation for the playoffs were no slouches. Salmons was a beast as well.

On to my second point. When Hinrich went down early in the year, there was more pressure put on Derrick Rose to play, and play well, during his first months in the NBA, than what will happen next season. Kirk Hinrich went down in November, and Rose was averaging a good 40+ minutes per game during that time frame. Kirk is a better influence as a point guard, and I do believe he is still there, plus Rose can improve on his defense with Kirk there to help guide him.

Thirdly, you are correct about not knowing about how Luol Deng will perform this coming season. If he plays like he did in 06 I think it was, the season when they played the Pistons in Round 2 of the playoffs, Deng had a hell of a season and everyone considered him the best player on the team, if he can play like that then the Bulls will have a very good front rotation. Think about this for a second. Derrick Rose, Kirk Hinrich, John Salmons, Luol Deng, and Joakim Noah. Noah was stepping up his play and had gained a lot of confidence last year. Couple that with Brad Miller, Tyrus Thomas (should he still be with the team), plus if Vinny plays any of the draft picks. It is too early to tell, but that starting 5 could be very good, and the Bulls could be very dangerous.

Breaking News: Ron Artest says he has reached a verbal agreement for a 3-year deal with the Lakers worth slightly less than 6 million dollars a year.

Now, the first thing I thought, was that the possibility of maybe signing Odem and Ariza is gone. That's completely out of the question, but this is a great signing. Artest is a great defender, good shooter, and a veteran. He's had his issues in the past, but he seems to have matured. Artest had this to say: "You know, uh, to fit in, you do exactly is is asked for the coach and it'll work. You know, that's what I did this year, that's why we was able to exceed the expectations of everyone, and the doubters out there in Houston."

Congratulations LA. You just assured you'll never win a championship again, or at least as long as Artest is on your team. He is not a team player, and has a bad attitude, that will only work against the chemistry on the team. I don't think he's nearly good enough to replace guys like Odom or Ariza.

Congratulations LA. You just assured you'll never win a championship again, or at least as long as Artest is on your team. He is not a team player, and has a bad attitude, that will only work against the chemistry on the team. I don't think he's nearly good enough to replace guys like Odom or Ariza.

I just made a thread about that, assuming it'd be lost in this one. Artest is a lot more mature than he was at the time of the fight. He isn't the only young athlete to make a mistake, but he's proven to me that he's reformed. Artest is a good player and has had to pay for the aftermath of the Detroit incident. I think he's a great piece to add. His defending skills are far above Odom's or Ariza's.

On one hand, this really sucks because I don't want to see the Lakers succeed. I can’t stand that team, and never will.

On the other hand, however, if this means both Odom and Ariza leave... then good. I hate Ariza and want him on a garbage team like Toronto, while I love Odom and just want him some other place, period.

And I don't think this makes the Lakers a Championship team. If Boston signs Rasheed Wallace and the team stays healthy throughout the season... I don't see how anyone can not pick them to win the championship. With the signing of Sheed... they'll have one of the greatest starting line-ups in history.

On one hand, this really sucks because I don't want to see the Lakers succeed. I can’t stand that team, and never will.

But they could lose both Odom and Ariza.

On the other hand, however, if this means both Odom and Ariza leave... then good. I hate Ariza and want him on a garbage team like Toronto, while I love Odom and just want him some other place, period.

I'd like to see Ariza in Portland. More talent is good.

And I don't think this makes the Lakers a Championship team. If Boston signs Rasheed Wallace and the team stays healthy throughout the season... I don't see how anyone can not pick them to win the championship. With the signing of Sheed... they'll have one of the greatest starting line-ups in history.

Rasheed is broken down. He averaged the same amount of points and rebounds as Greg Oden with far more minutes averaged. He's not very good anymore, and that is in no way biased. I love Sheed. Former Blazer. I think the Cavs are better than the Celts.

Artest is a great signing for the Lakers imo. Especially at that price. Of course it could go one of two ways the mature Artest shows up and all is fine, or Artest the ego arrives and things get rocky.

I think Artest has matured a lot over the last few years. He comes to play every night and will give the Lakers a lock down defender. He can score when needed to, crash the boards, hustle great pickup for the Lakers.

The price is the real thing that makes this a great signing to me, gives the Lakers room to sign Odom seeing as Ariza looks like he is bolting for Houston.

As I said in the other thread. I feel its a good signing for the Lakers. Ariza seems like he is off the other way to Houston. So perhaps getting Ron for such a low price will mean that they can re-sign Odom. That can only mean good things for the Lakers.

jmt, I dont believe that Rasheed Wallace will start if he goes to Boston. He slowed down last year and isnt the player he once was. PLus I mean whats the problem with Bostons current starting 5, if fit, Rondo/Allen/Pierce/Garnett/Perkins with Wallace off the bench, maybe Big Baby and say Anthony Parker as well... thats looking pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back