NBA Thread - 2009-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last thing to go is your shot, and Rasheed Wallace can definitely still shoot that ball. And a big man that can shoot is so, sooooo valuable. It spreads the floor for everyone else, and Pierce and Allen will get more wide open shots then they ever dreamed. Plus, it leaves the lane open for Rondo.

And there are many other things Sheed can do if motivated. He was on a shit team this year, so of course he wasn't going to shine. He's much better when on a good team like Detroit was a couple of years ago, or like Portland was when they took the Lakers to 7 games and got cheated in the 4th Quarter. Sheed has never been a superstar, but he's ALWAYS been one of the absolute best role players in the entire league and on Boston's squad... he'll be able to return to that.

The last thing to go is your shot, and Rasheed Wallace can definitely still shoot that ball. And a big man that can shoot is so, sooooo valuable. It spreads the floor for everyone else, and Pierce and Allen will get more wide open shots then they ever dreamed. Plus, it leaves the lane open for Rondo.

Sheed will be 36 next season. His field goal percentage was lower than it has ever been in his career, save for in 03-04 when he played one game. He's been on the decline since he left Portland, though it was slight, but he seems to be dropping off now. I don't think he'll do very well at all next year. Ray Allen's shot seems to be going as well.

And there are many other things Sheed can do if motivated. He was on a shit team this year, so of course he wasn't going to shine.

They made the playoffs, so the team wasn't bad. They had Rip, Prince, and Sheed. Even thought the team wasn't loaded, he was a star on the team and should be taking shots. The fact that he had his lowest totals in his career tells me that he's done.

He's much better when on a good team like Detroit was a couple of years ago, or like Portland was when they took the Lakers to 7 games and got cheated in the 4th Quarter.

That was over five years ago.

Sheed has never been a superstar, but he's ALWAYS been one of the
absolute best role players in the entire league and on Boston's squad... he'll be able to return to that.

He won't return to the near 20 points a game he used to average. After the age of 33, Sheed has been scoring 12 points a game. He's no longer able to preform like he used to.

Ariza is reportedly getting serious with Houston. With the loss of Artest, the possible loss of Yao, and a returning Tracy McGrady, how will the Rockets do? They have a good young core, with Luis "Blazer Killer" Scola, Aaron Brooks, Von Wafer, Carl Landry, and now, likely, Trevor Ariza. I don't think they'll do what they did last year, especially without Yao, but Ariza is a great pick up.

Sheed will be 36 next season. His field goal percentage was lower than it has ever been in his career, save for in 03-04 when he played one game.

Rasheed has never been one to create his own shot opportunity. He needs to someone to get him open baskets, and no one on the Detroit team had the ability to do that when Chauncey got traded. Plus, like I said... Sheed's passion wasn't there this year, either. I believe signing with Boston will rejuvenate him.

They made the playoffs, so the team wasn't bad. They had Rip, Prince, and Sheed. Even thought the team wasn't loaded, he was a star on the team and should be taking shots. The fact that he had his lowest totals in his career tells me that he's done.

It doesn't tell me anything because of what I said above. Playing for a team like Boston will take all the pressure off of Sheed, and that's something he's always needed to be a productive player.

That was over five years ago.

I know, but the fact remains... when on a stacked team, Sheed is at his best.

He won't return to the near 20 points a game he used to average.

He won't need to; that's the beauty of him going to Boston.

After the age of 33, Sheed has been scoring 12 points a game. He's no longer able to preform like he used to.

12 points a game is great to average on a team like Boston if everyone is healthy. As long as his percentage is high and he takes good shots (which should happen under Doc's system and the players surrounding Sheed)... then 12 points a game is fantastic and better than any other Power Forward out there available could offer Boston.

Rasheed has never been one to create his own shot opportunity. He needs to someone to get him open baskets, and no one on the Detroit team had the ability to do that when Chauncey got traded. Plus, like I said... Sheed's passion wasn't there this year, either. I believe signing with Boston will rejuvenate him.

He wasn't scoring any more in the last two years that Chauncy was there either.

It doesn't tell me anything because of what I said above. Playing for a team like Boston will take all the pressure off of Sheed, and that's something he's always needed to be a productive player.

Even when Detroit contended, he was scoring about 12 points a game. I'm sure he was motivated to win a title, but the fact that he is too old does not change.

I know, but the fact remains... when on a stacked team, Sheed is at his best.

I'd venture to say that he's his best when he's you know, in his prime.

He won't need to; that's the beauty of him going to Boston.

If Allen plays better than he did in the playoffs and Garnett returns in good form.

12 points a game is great to average on a team like Boston if everyone is healthy. As long as his percentage is high and he takes good shots (which should happen under Doc's system and the players surrounding Sheed)... then 12 points a game is fantastic and better than any other Power Forward out there available could offer Boston.

I'd take Perkins over Wallace at this point.

Trevor Ariza and the Houston Rockets have apparently agreed to a five year deal worth $33.5 million. His great play late in the season brought in a good pay-day.

Both the Knicks and Mavericks have offered three year deals to PG Jason Kidd. My prediction: He stays in Dallas. They are a better team and with another addition could be contenders.

I think Artest to the Lakers makes them the favorites this year. Kobe will keep him in line and while he may not be as good of a defender as he was a few years ago he's still better than most. In addition to that he's a very capable scorer who will play with a chip on his shoulder I think it's huge.

I think Ariza is more of a role player and I'm not sure how he'll handle being a 2nd or 3rd option instead of a 5th option. If I was Houston I would've given that deal to Artest if possible, not Ariza.

It also looks like Hedo is going to Portland. I think that's a great move for them as they really needed a 3. He's a guy that isn't selfish and will look to find others shots before himself, but who can also hit the big shot. A strating 5 of Blake, Roy, Hedo, Aldrigde, and even a somewhat healthy Oden looks very good. This could be the year the Blazers finally make a push to get to at the the Western Conference Finals.

Now it looks like Turkoglu has pulled out of talks with Portland and he is going to sign with Toronto. Even with Hedo I don't think Portland would have been able to compete with LA and Denver but they obviously would have been an improved team. Now Portland will either turn to a guy like Marvin Williams to sure up the small forward spot or they could sure up their point guard position by signing either Mike Bibby or Andre Miller.

As far as Toronto goes, this move by no means makes them a contender but it does put them in a position where they can make a run at the playoffs. Especially considering how weak the bottom half of the East is. A starting 5 of Jose Calderon, Demar Derozan, Turkoglu, Bargani, and Chris Bosh is solid.

As far as Toronto goes, this move by no means makes them a contender but it does put them in a position where they can make a run at the playoffs. Especially considering how weak the bottom half of the East is. A starting 5 of Jose Calderon, Demar Derozan, Turkoglu, Bargani, and Chris Bosh is solid.

I like how we think alike. I had said earlier, that signing Turkoglu would push a mid-level team past a team like Toronto or Atlanta, and now that he appears to be heading to Toronto, I think this puts them right behind the lead bunch of Cleveland, Boston, and Orlando. They obviously won't win their division, but by being a solid 4th place team, they can at least make it to the second round, and be a threat to a top team. Maybe push a series to 6 games, and get things interesting.

Playing in Toronto won't hurt him for exposure either, as long as he continues to perform. You'd think NY, NJ, or LA would be the cities to go to, but look what being a Raptor did for Vinsanity and Tracy McGrady...

It's too bad that Portland and Hedo weren't able to work things out. We were pretty pumped about what he could have brought to our team, but I hope he enjoys mediocrity for five years.

Big Sexy9 said:
Even with Hedo I don't think Portland would have been able to compete with LA and Denver but they obviously would have been an improved team.

You mean the Portland team that finished fourth in the Western Conference last year, winning 54 games, tying with Denver and San Antonio, wouldn't have been able to compete? If I'm not mistaken, we won the majority of our games against Denver last year and went 2-2 against L.A. Denver's team isn't going to improve much. Chauncy is getting old and they haven't done much to improve. L.A. will still be strong and I won't guarantee
our success against them, but to say that we wouldn't have been able to compete, especially had we gotten Turkoglu, is ludicrous.

It's too bad that Portland and Hedo weren't able to work things out. We were pretty pumped about what he could have brought to our team, but I hope he enjoys mediocrity for five years.

You mean the Portland team that finished fourth in the Western Conference last year, winning 54 games, tying with Denver and San Antonio, wouldn't have been able to compete? If I'm not mistaken, we won the majority of our games against Denver last year and went 2-2 against L.A. Denver's team isn't going to improve much. Chauncy is getting old and they haven't done much to improve. L.A. will still be strong and I won't guarantee
our success against them, but to say that we wouldn't have been able to compete, especially had we gotten Turkoglu, is ludicrous.

I used the wrong word when I said compete. They would obviously have been able to compete with them, but I don't think having Turkoglu would have made them better then LA or Denver or San Antonio. With that being said the regular season and the playoffs are two completely different animals. Portland's inexperience really showed this year when they got knocked out in the first round. With a young team like they have I believe it's going to take them a couple years before they really can make a run. LA, Denver, and San Antonio are all just better teams. Turkoglu could have gotten them out of the first round but that's about it.

I used the wrong word when I said compete. They would obviously have been able to compete with them, but I don't think having Turkoglu would have made them better then LA or Denver or San Antonio. With that being said the regular season and the playoffs are two completely different animals. Portland's inexperience really showed this year when they got knocked out in the first round. With a young team like they have I believe it's going to take them a couple years before they really can make a run. LA, Denver, and San Antonio are all just better teams. Turkoglu could have gotten them out of the first round but that's about it.

We were better than both Denver and San Antonio last year, beating them the majority of the times that we played them. Houston simply had our number last year, in the regular season and playoffs. They caused match-up problems with Yao and Blake being unable to guard Aaron Brookes. Though we haven't made any big-time signing in the offseason, Roy is going into his fourth season, so expect improvement. LaMarcus Aldridge is entering his first season as a star in the league. Greg Oden has showed steps of improvement, Rudy is developing more than a 3-point shot, and Batum is learning to play offense. We'll be better than we were last year, Turkoglu or not.

With three days to go till signings can officially happen, we've heard of:

• Trevor Ariza to Houston for 5 years and $33.5 million
  • Ron Artest to the Lakers for 3 years and $18 million
  • Hedo Turkoglu to Toronto for 5 years and $53.5 million
  • Ben Gordon to Detroit for 5 years and $55 million
  • Charlie Villanueva to Detroit for 5 years and $40 million
  • Rumors of Rasheed Wallace to Boston
  • Rumors of Allen Iverson to the Grizzlies

There are also talks of David Lee to Portland. His agent claims that a dozen "elite teams" are looking at him and expects about $10 million a year. Lamar Odom is also a free agent.

For an offseason that looked lackluster on paper, I think a couple of great moves have been made. Hedo Turkoglu greatly improves Toronto and I think that they move into the fourth slot in the east. Ron Artest is an upgrade over Ariza, and if the Lakers are able to keep Odom, they'll have one of the physically strongest teams in the league. I'm not sure if I like the prospect of David Lee going to Portland, because I don't want to pay a back-up to LaMarcus Aldridge $10 million for five years. There have been rumors of him starting at small forward, but he's too big and slow to defend, doesn't have a great shot, we're stacked at that position, and would be better served playing down low.

It's also been an exciting time for trades! Richard Jefferson and a healthy Spurs team could dethrone the Lakers in the Western Conference. Shaquille O'Neal gives the Cavaliers a physicality that they have never had down low, and also the exciting prospect of a Shaq, LeBron, and Kobe threesome next June. This next season should be exciting. The best part is, we're not even done yet!

Edit: Thanks to Big Sexy for reminding me of the two I couldn't remember.

With three days to go till signings can officially happen, we've heard of:

• Trevor Ariza to Houston for 5 years and $33.5 million
  • Ron Artest to the Lakers for 3 years and $18 million
  • Hedo Turkoglu to Toronto for 5 years and $53.5 million
  • Rumors of Rasheed Wallace to Boston
  • Rumors of Allen Iverson to the Grizzlies

Don't forget about Ben Gordon to the Pistons for 5 years $55 million and Charlie Villanueva to the Pistons for 5 years $40 million.

But I agree that this has been a great off season. Everyone is talking about how great 2010 is going to be with Lebron, Bosh, Wade, and Stoudamire as free agents but this off season has had a lot of action and a lot of great moves made by teams. I really like how all of the championship contenders keep trying to one up each other with signings and trades.

As a Spurs fan I can tell you, a healthy Spurs team and RJ won’t be dethroning anyone until we get a big man alongside Duncan. Splitter isn’t coming so Rasheed Wallace is absolutely, positively a MUST have if we want to go toe to toe with LA next season. We’ve lost Gooden, Kurt Thomas, and Manu said on his webpage that it’s highly unlikely Oberto is coming back. Our front court, which was already mediocre outside of Duncan last year, has just been raped. Matt Bonner is a solid player off the bench, nothing more. We cannot go far with a scrub like him in there the majority of the time at PF/C. Duncan is getting old, he can’t do it all. Sheed still has a bit left in him, and won’t be asked to do jackshit but rebound, take pressure off TD defensively in the post and hit the occasional 3. Basically an Horry role. All the other weapons and pieces are there, hopefully we can get Bowen back to add a beast defense off the bench.

If all goes well, like I hope. I dare anyone to tell me a lineup/team is better than this. Sheed, Duncan, RJ, Manu, and Parker with Money Mason, Hill, Bowen, Finley (hey, he's old as dirt, but can get hot sometimes) Bonner and a beast of a rebounder and the steal of the draft Blair coming off the bench. Championship if it happens IMO.

It’s also interesting to point out, Sheed is coming to SA on his own. Unlike Boston when they had to go TO Detroit to meet with him. Hopefully that’s a sign of his interest level in the Spurs, whom he’s already begged to be traded too once. Being good friends with Duncan doesn't hurt either.

Reactions: gd
I completely agree Wes, the problem with the Spurs last year was that they didn't have anyone outside of Parker who could penetrate and score from the perimeter. Now, with Manu coming back and the addition of Jefferson they look really scary. They don't have to rely on guys like Hill and Mason this year which is huge.

As a Pitt fan I can tell you that you'll love having Dejuan Blair on your team. He is an absolute beast of a rebounder inside and plays his ass off all the time. Pretty much his only problem in college was foul trouble, but he wan't have to worry about it if he's coming off the bench, at least initially.

I'm pretty sure the Spurs will make a run in the West this year, but they're still number 2 behind the Lakers.

Yeah, that's what I love most about Blair. I read an article of a guy who was comparing Blair's rebounding stats, to all the top big men in the draft like Thabeet, Hill, etc and it wasn't really close. He had them beat on all of it, especially offensively. I also watched him rape Thabeet on national television last year. So yeah, I'm very excited about him, and it was nice to hear he's healthy, trimmed up alot this offseason.

Blair is about 100 times tougher than Thabeet, no question about it. If he can completely own the 2nd pick in the draft who supposedly is the best defender we've seen in years, what's he going to do to the rest of the NBA? I was pretty disappointed when I saw him slipping in the draft, but I thought it was great that he went to an organization like San Antonio. Now, Sam Young to the Grizzlies is a completely different story.

According to his agent, Rasheed Wallace is going to sign with Boston. This is a good signing but not nearly as good as some people think it is. Rasheed will obviously be motivated because he is with a contender, but he is 34 years old and no where near as good as he once was. There also doesn't seem to be enough shots to go around for everyone. Pierce and Allen both take their fair share of shots and Garnett is obviously going to get a lot of touches. Now Rasheed is a very unselfish player but he isn't going to be getting nearly the amount of shots he is used to getting. Being from around Detroit I've seen a lot of Sheed over the last 5 years and when he isn't involved in the action he tends to get bored and disappear.

Also it looks like Jason Kidd is staying in Dallas. This is a good move for both sides. Dallas doesn't really have any other true point guards so they needed Kidd. The only other place that wanted Kidd was New York and even with D'Antoni there I wouldn't want to play for the Knicks.

The Wallace signing is a good one for Boston I believe. Sure Rasheed has lost a step or two, but the guy will be coming off the bench and be able to add some scoring when the Big 3 sit. Hie will fit very nicley into the role that he is needed to play in Boston. He wont be the top dog, but he is at a stage in his career where he is comfortable being a bit part player and that is good. The Celtics also continue their youth movement and are going after Grant Hill.

Also read that Andre Miller is possibly going to the Blazers. This would be a great signing for them, and make a lot more snese than Hedo imo. Having Steve Blake as your starting PG is not going to get oyu anywhere.

Also read that Chicago are interested in Allen Iverson.

While I think David Lee is a great player, he wouldn't fit well with Portland. Andre Miller makes a lot of sense for a year or two. I'm concerned about his attitude. Portland is a very classy team with a lot of upstanding players. We've shed the stigma of the JailBlazers, so whenever a new player comes in I'm worried if they're a good guy almost more than if they're a good player. Anyone have any clue what type of person Andre Miller is?

While I think David Lee is a great player, he wouldn't fit well with Portland. Andre Miller makes a lot of sense for a year or two. I'm concerned about his attitude. Portland is a very classy team with a lot of upstanding players. We've shed the stigma of the JailBlazers, so whenever a new player comes in I'm worried if they're a good guy almost more than if they're a good player. Anyone have any clue what type of person Andre Miller is?

To my knowledge Andre Miller has never gotten into any kind of trouble. He is a pretty quiet guy, but still a very good leader. He also has the longest active streak of consecutive games played in the NBA with 501 so he's a tough guy. I actually think Portland would be better off with Miller then they would have been with Turkoglu. Steve Blake is solid, but he's no where near as good as Andre Miller. Miller is the type of player who makes everyone on the floor better.

To my knowledge Andre Miller has never gotten into any kind of trouble. He is a pretty quiet guy, but still a very good leader. He also has the longest active streak of consecutive games played in the NBA with 501 so he's a tough guy. I actually think Portland would be better off with Miller then they would have been with Turkoglu. Steve Blake is solid, but he's no where near as good as Andre Miller. Miller is the type of player who makes everyone on the floor better.

He's got playoff experience, as well. His stats are solid and his toughness is proven. That's good. Toughness is something I rate very highly. He's getting pretty old, though, so I'd prefer to not lock him up for a long time. I'd love to see a veteran teaching Bayless. It could do great things for a future star.

He's got playoff experience, as well. His stats are solid and his toughness is proven. That's good. Toughness is something I rate very highly. He's getting pretty old, though, so I'd prefer to not lock him up for a long time. I'd love to see a veteran teaching Bayless. It could do great things for a future star.

He's 33 so it would probably be around a three year deal, but so far he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. His last two seasons in Philly he put up numbers that he hadn't put up since early in his career when he was with the Cavs. I agree that he would be a great mentor for Jerryd Bayless. Bayless has always been a score first guy and Miller is the polar opposite of that. If Miller's style of play can rub off on Bayless then he has a chance to become a good player.

He's 33 so it would probably be around a three year deal, but so far he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. His last two seasons in Philly he put up numbers that he hadn't put up since early in his career when he was with the Cavs. I agree that he would be a great mentor for Jerryd Bayless. Bayless has always been a score first guy and Miller is the polar opposite of that. If Miller's style of play can rub off on Bayless then he has a chance to become a good player.

He's a great free throw shooter, which is a good thing for a Portland team that struggles in that area. He's been averaging around 16 points a game, which is a 6-8 PPG improvement over Steve Blake, is a better defender, and a better passer. He's faster, smarter, and simply better. He's an upgrade in every way. Steve Blake has outstanding character, and if it is for the betterment of the team, he'd gladly lead our second team, rather than start.

Jerryd is an outstanding ball-handler. I expect great thing out of him if he can learn to create shots for other players and run an NBA-style offense. He's talented and a starting team of Roy, Oden, Aldridge, Bayless, and Batum could be the best starting line up in Portland basketball history if all goes as planned. Good things are coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back