MMA May Discussion Thread - "...Yeah"

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
[YOUTUBE]KdOwc5du2C0[/YOUTUBE]

The rise of Mark Hunt has been nothing short of extraordinary. Just to summarize everything:

1. After a court battle, the UFC had to still honor the PRIDE Contract of Mark Hunt.
  2. They book him against Sean McCorkle, and he lost in a minute via armbar.
  3. Despite losing, he still gets another fight against Brock Lesnar cloning experiment gone wrong Chris Tuchscherer and KOs him.
  4. He goes on to fight Ben Rothwell. It was thought to be a foregone conclusion that he would get quickly submitted. Hunt toughs it out in a decision and nearly armbars him.
  5. Hunt then KO's Kongo at Saitama Super Arena! However, he was then shelved for a year with injuries.
  6. Hunt returns a year later and fights Stefan Struve. He breaks his Jaw.
  7. Hunt then says he is ready to fight immediately afterwards. Alistair Overeem gets hurt and is pulled out of UFC 160 vs. Junior Dos Santos. A Rally for Mark Hunt led by the man himself is launched for him to replace Overeem, and he is successful.
  8. If Hunt KO's Dos Santos, he's #1 Contender!

Calendar
Literally Something UFC Related Everyday on FuelTV if you have it.

5/18 - UFC on FX - Belfort vs. Rockhold
5/25 - UFC 160 - Velasquez vs. Bigfoot II

Essential Websites:
http://www.mma.ly
http://www.ufc.com

Visit At Your Own Peril:
http://www.sherdog.com
http://www.sherdog.net
The Underground

Useful Links:
Sherdog Fight Finder
Unified rules of MMA
http://www.fightmetric.com

Noteworthy/Discussion Topics:
  • All TUF losers except Uriah Hall have been cut.
  • Anderson Silva told Dana he wants a superfight against GSP or Jones after UFC 159. I'm sure he wants nothing to do with Jones.
  • In what world does a guy almost lose a toe and have to be ambulanced to a hospital is he the winner in a fight?!
  • Please don't retire, Chael :(
  • Will Kelvin Gastellum be another failure of a TUF winner?
  • Was Gil Melendez robbed?
  • Is Frank Mir done?
  • Wouldn't Cormier vs. Nelson be a cool as hell fight?

I have mixed feelings about the JDS vs. Hunt fight. I want JDS to win because I'd loved to see him fight Cain one more time to settle the score. A third fight between them would be huge and something I would love to see. On the other hand the thought of Mark Hunt knocking out JDS is very exciting. I'm a Mark Hunt fan but I'll probably be supporting JDS when the two face off. Should be a very exciting fight and something I'm looking forward to.

We all sure the devastating loss that Chael suffered to Jon Jones and things didn't go our way. It's time to move on and focus on the future of Chael P. Sonnen. Three possible fights for Chael could be Wanderlei Silva (which we all know is being talked about), Vitor Belfort or Rich Franklin. Now of course Belfort has his fight coming up but a future match with Sonnen would be interesting. Franklin wants another fight before hanging up the gloves so give him Sonnen for an opponent. My favourite option is a fight with Wanderlei Silva though. All the trash talk from Chael has been hilarious over the years and finally seeing him and Wanderlei go at it would be amazing.

Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva in Brazil this year! Sounds like a fun time for all.

Noteworthy/Discussion Topics:

All TUF losers except Uriah Hall have been cut.
I think this will be common practice with the current roster size. The winner stays. Anyone else who achieved buzz and looked really strong may stay. The rest have to go back on the circuit and earn a spot through the standard means.
Will Kelvin Gastellum be another failure of a TUF winner?
21 years old. Stopped all of his opponents until Uriah. Beat Uriah. Won against the best collection of talent they have put in the house in years. Seems to me his future is extremely bright.
Was Gil Melendez robbed?
Nope. He lost a 50/50 decision. It happens. Especially in 155 title fights it seems.
Is Frank Mir done?
I wouldn't shed a tear. But my wife might.

Wouldn't Cormier vs. Nelson be a cool as hell fight?
Yes Please. What a great fight that would be. And if Hunt can't get through JDS I'd love to see him fight the loser. And if Nelson were to win I'd love to see him get a shot at Cain, and I think he would've earned it at that point.

Is this where we all make fun of Chael?

Seriously though I think if he does get his fight with Wandy he should retire after and go into commentary. However you feel about the guy he is second to none when it comes to hyping fights and putting guys over.

Watching Hunt come back is nothing short of spectacular. JDS is going to Knock him the f out, but watching someone battle against all elements to put on spectacular fight after another has been nothing short of awesome.

I really hope Big Foot beats up Velasquez. Cain is such a good overall fighter that I can't see it happening. Anyone with the words "(insert color) pride" tatted on them should just hide in embarrassment.

And yes I hope Sonnen gets this fight with Wanderlei and starts building back up to a title defense. A shitty stoppage. If the stoppage wouldn't of happened Chael would of been LHW champion because there is no way in hell they'd of let Jones continue and that would be a TKO. Was a really bad stoppage IMO. And that knee was chin imo.

Oh well, an ok month for UFC, nothing great...but some entertaining fights.

Really loving the heavyweights right now, I love Mir, and think he could go another fight. But after that he needs to retire, the game has passed him by.

Mark Hunt just wont give up, not a fan of Struve at all, so I was glad to see Hunt crush his jaw. He needs to work on his conditioning, and tone up for the JDS fight. I'd love to see Hunt pull out something special, he prolly wont. But stranger shit has happened, that hook can come out of no where.

Kongo is gone, sweet. Heavy hands, but i've never enjoyed watching him fight.

Sonnen vs. Wanderlei is being rumored for the UFC Fox Sports card in Boston.

Take all of my money now, Dana.

Talk about underpaid. At the last PPV, Bisping made just shy of half a million, 275k to show and 150k to win. Jones made 400k flat. Chael, who I don't even like, only made 50k. That is like 1/8 of what Bisping made. Chael fucking beat Bisping.

Hell, Kongo made 70k to go get his ass knocked out in the first. They aren't renewing his contract though, so he is essentially fired.

Talk about underpaid. At the last PPV, Bisping made just shy of half a million, 275k to show and 150k to win. Jones made 400k flat. Chael, who I don't even like, only made 50k. That is like 1/8 of what Bisping made. Chael fucking beat Bisping.

Hell, Kongo made 70k to go get his ass knocked out in the first. They aren't renewing his contract though, so he is essentially fired.

Bisping's pay is so ridiculous. I understand that he's a big draw in the UK but it's Michael "can't beat a top contender" Bisping. He's one very lucky dude to be earning that much.

We should take Chael's amount with a grain of salt. I doubt that one of the biggest PPV draws in the UFC is only going to make 50k. Chael is a smart guy and he knows how much he is worth and it's much more than 50k.

Sonnen is getting PPV points plus I'm sure Dana gave him all sorts of undisclosed bonuses for promoting the fight. My dad knows who Chael Sonnen is because of how he promoted the fight. He doesn't like MMA and even he was interested in finding out how the Jones fight went. Chael has that ability to promote to hardcore fans, casuals, and people who don't know the first thing about the sport.

So far, it looks like the Boston card is going to get Sonnen vs. Wandy, McGregor destroying a hipster douche of a Swede, probably Lauzon, and a FOTY candidate in Matt Brown vs. Thiago Alves. All of my money Dana, take it!

How in the blue hell do I keep double posting with my phone. I was just asking myself how the above post took place at 11:20 when I was at work.

Anyway... in "Anderson Silva being a disrespectful douchebag news"...

(God, I cannot wait until Weidman shocks the world)

Report: Anderson Silva Fined $50,000 For Skipping UFC 162 Media Obligations

Posted on May 6, 2013 by Ken Pishna

Silva was scheduled to meet with several media outlets – including newspapers, websites, and television and radio stations – on Tuesday, according to a USA Today Sports report. He instead passed on the meeting and instead flew home to Brazil.

“We had a full media day set up for him in Los Angeles, and he just decided he didn’t want to do it,” UFC president Dana White told USA Today Sports. “So he’s being fined $50,000.”

The media event was planned to help publicize UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman with tickets going on-sale this Friday.l

His opponent, Chris Weidman, has similar media obligations on Wednesday.

Although Nick Diaz was removed from the UFC 137 main event bout with Georges St-Pierre for missing media obligations, White told USA Today Sports that he didn’t anticipate taking similar action against Silva.

“Nick Diaz didn’t show up for the press conference,” White said. “This was just a smaller media day, but it’s still not acceptable, so we’re fining him $50,000.”

UFC 162 is slated for July 6 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Ed Soares, Silva’s manager, declined to comment on the situation when contacted by MMAWeekly.com.

Shane Carwin retired today. I was just browsing my Facebook and the Sherdog page announced it. I'm not super surprised since he has been dealing with massive injury issues and he is 38, but he was never in a boring fight.

Dude had some serious power and I always enjoyed his fights. Hopefully he enjoys retirement. It would have been fun to see one last fight out of him, but I'm not at all surprised by this news -- he was basically semi-retired anyway.

Chael's getting 50k in base salary. That's not counting his endorsements (Has alot), bonuses (Dana wouldn't leave Chael high and dry), and just overall badassery his name gives. PPV sales I imagine are also split with him.

This should be an OK month for MMA. Not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination, but not terrible.

:rolleyes:

When will you stop this "I can't wait until _________ beats Anderson" nonsense?

:confused: I didn't do it for Bonnar or Yushin.

Not getting into what happened in the second Chael fight. A mix of Chael getting sloppy and throwing a backfist and Anderson cheating lost him that fight.

Weidman is a stylistic nightmare for Silva.

I still think Weidman's making a huge mistake not taking a tune-up fight before fighting Anderson, and that will surely be people's excuse if/when Weidman loses.

Of course, if Weidman wins fair and square, then Anderson fans will claim that fathertime finally caught up with him.

Man, got to love the MMA fanbase, huh? lol

Personally, I haven't seen enough from Weidman to believe in the hype. Yeah he has good wrestling, but we don't know how good his Jitz is and we don't know how good his conditioning is. And let's face it, his biggest win is against Mark Munoz, a guy Matt Hamill knocked out for goodness sake.

I think people look at Weidman and believe he's the right person to beat Anderson just because he has good amateur wrestling credentials and has been training Jiu-Jitsu with Matt Serra since his MMA career began. However, we truly don't know how good of an MMA fighter he is. He only has 9 fights to his name and his two biggest wins were ARGUABLY barely top 10 at the time of their fights. People have severely overrated him just because of Anderson's first fight against Chael Sonnen. And this is coming from someone who said Weidman was the future of the MW Division after the fight Jesse Bongfeldt, but he's being pushed too soon IMO, and Anderson detractors are really putting their blinders on about him.

I still think Weidman's making a huge mistake not taking a tune-up fight before fighting Anderson, and that will surely be people's excuse if/when Weidman loses.

That is pretty much my only concern at this point. It's been a year, had a surgery done, and is fighting a guy many consider to the greatest P4P.

Personally, I haven't seen enough from Weidman to believe in the hype. Yeah he has good wrestling, but we don't know how good his Jitz is and we don't know how good his conditioning is. And let's face it, his biggest win is against Mark Munoz, a guy Matt Hamill knocked out for goodness sake.

He has more than "Good Wrestling"... this is a former two time Division 1 All American. I think his Jiu Jitsu may be better than Anderson's. He was already competing with some of the best grapplers in the world a year into learning jiu jitsu.

People forget this, and yes, Munoz is pretty average as a whole, but let's not forget that people looked at that fight as a title eliminator at the time. Munoz was on a pretty decent tear.

I think people look at Weidman and believe he's the right person to beat Anderson just because he has good amateur wrestling credentials and has been training Jiu-Jitsu with Matt Serra since his MMA career began. However, we truly don't know how good of an MMA fighter he is. He only has 9 fights to his name and his two biggest wins were ARGUABLY barely top 10 at the time of their fights.

9-0, baby. He's only looked bad in the Maia fight, and that was with him taking that fight on extremely short notice and a terrible weight cut. Maia was a solid win regardless as he's such a good fighter. The Munoz fight was complete and total domination of a top ranked guy. He only landed one shot.

People have severely overrated him just because of Anderson's first fight against Chael Sonnen.

My biggest fear is this: We know Weidman can take it to the ground. With his Jiu Jitsu credentials, it's unlikely he'll get submitted. Will Weidman be able to be as relentless as Chael was? Will Weidman fall in love with his striking too much?

I think other than Jon Jones or GSP, Weidman has the best shot to pull this off. He's 9-0. They wouldn't be giving him this shot if they didn't think he he earned it. And I think Anderson's going to be looking past him.

I haven't seen enough of Weidman's double leg to make me worry about him.

If Weidman takes Anderson down and subs him, i'll tip my hat off to him and walk away devastated. Won't happen though

Joe Lauzon vs. Michael Johnson confirmed for UFC on Fox Sports 1 1 (stupid).

Well, this will surely be a destruction of Ruediger-esque proportions.

So Nick Diaz wants to start his own promotion. God help us.

Finally the UFC is headed back to Indiana in August. No rumored bouts for the first UFC on Fox Sports card, but no way can we get a card that turns out as bad as the 119 card.

Rumor has it Chris Lytle may come back for one last fight. If Lytle is going to fight again, give him an immediate title shot against GSP. Not just for the possibility of the greatest tear-jerking upset victory ever, but also to watch Johny Hendricks lose his god damn mind for getting passed over again. Either of those scenarios are an epic win in my book.

So Nick Diaz wants to start his own promotion. God help us.

So like... uhh... let's have some fights, or whatever.

I wonder how he came to the decision to open his own promotion -- I never would have thought I'd see Nick Diaz in that type of a position. The guy clearly likes fighting, so it's not completely ridiculous to think he'd want to be involved with MMA when he's not fighting for the UFC, but to run his own promotion? Can't say I saw that coming. I'd imagine it's more of a deal where Nick Diaz is the face of the promotion and maybe does some publicity, but there's other people running the company behind the scenes (if it ever comes to fruition, that is).

Rumor has it that Paul Heyman is secretly bankrolling him for this promotion. Anyway, Nick Diaz being a fight promoter is the equivalent of Stevie Wonder attempting to be a painter.

Brandon Vera returns to Heavyweight vs. Ben Rothwell on the Milwaukee Card.

Honestly, he never should have moved to Light Heavyweight in the first place. He showed a lot of heart in the Shogun fight and he could at the very least be a decent gatekeeper at Heavyweight and extend his UFC career a couple more fights.

Also, Pat Healy tested positive for Marijuana Metabolites in the Jim Miller fight. Sucks. That Miller fight was great and he built himself a lot of goodwill that is now wasted for that fight not only with the fans but with Dana White and crew too.

Chael also signed a deal with Coca Cola. Damn good for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back