• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

*Merged* Mick Foley Return Discussion (KEEP IT ALL IN HERE!)

slice_of_life

Pre-Show Stalwart
Shameless. And to be honest, a little insulting. It was a blatant attempt to win the fans over for Cena through the praise of a legend. That's all Mick Foley was there for, to try and sell Cena to the crowd. I thought it was a horrible segment.

In fairness, it looked like it was supposed to be booked as a horrible segment (for whatever reason)...

although you have to feel bad for Bull Buchanan. The guys life is so bad his dog even bit him!

Oh shit, here we go again. John Cena is an attention magnet. Whether you like him or not, people are drawn into Cena. A match with Cena will do wonders for you're career simply because he draws. Cena is already over and he's as over as over can be. Mick Foley was there to fill up a little time and make his official return to the WWE. The segment wasn't meant to be taken seriously in any way and I'm sorry you didn't see that. No, the WWE didn't use Foley to get Cena over. In fact, I'm sure it's the other way around. The WWE wanted people to take interest in Foley again so they put him in a segment with Cena.

I don't see why they would even want to make an attempt to get the 'haters' to like him. No self-respecting male over the age of 18 is going to go out and buy his corny shirts and other gear if they previously hated him - that's the reason Cena is still face - merch money.

Foley was great in the late 90's but it it's 2011 and if you think WWE expects to change Cena's image by putting him in an extended nostalgia/comedy with Foley you are wrong. The skit was just meant for entertainment purposes. Foley and Cena both did a good job with it.

To the OP there is a reason Mick Foley tried to "turn the fans" is cause he knew someone like you would make a big deal about it add to the Cena controversy, the WWE is at times stupid but not always. Also Cena got praised from Austin, Foley (when he wasnt in the WWE) Taker and HHH all four of these men know more about wrestling than any of us posting on here.

PS no Im not a Cena lover. I do however respect the hell out of tthe guy cause he gives 100 percent to WWE and his fans.

The segment came off bad, be it intentional or not. But, bad though it may have been, it did serve a few purposes.

As others have stated, it was a way to bring Mick Foley back into the WWE spotlight, and there is no better way to do so than by involving him in the Cena/Rock build up.

It attempted to provide a hook for the viewers by having Rock make an early appearance in the show, to allow Cole, Lawler, and the WWE as a whole to push the rest of the show.

It seemed to try and bridge a gap and recall the (in)famous This Is Your Life segment with Foley and Rock during the Rock and Sock Connection days. There's no denying this incarnation failed miserably in comparison compared to the original.

I don't think the WWE was using Foley to get Cena over with anyone. It's an impossible task given that Cena is already the single most over ( be it loved or hated) pro wrestler in the business today. More than anything, it was the use of Cena and Rock to re-insert Foley into the WWE fans consciousness. I highly doubt that there will be any further Foley/Rock interactions at Survivor Series, but it gave a tease to try and hook viewers. That what WWE's one true focus is, pushing Rock and Cena as hard as they can.

At the end of the day, there isn't anyone out there today that can help get Cena 'over'. WWE has shown they are more than comfortable letting Cena be loved by some, hated by more. As long as the merchandise sells, the WWE can use the mixed responses as a way to push him. Neither Rock or Cena will get each other over in way shape or form. They only thing they will get over, is a big WM buy rate.

Shameless. And to be honest, a little insulting. It was a blatant attempt to win the fans over for Cena through the praise of a legend. That's all Mick Foley was there for, to try and sell Cena to the crowd. I thought it was a horrible segment.

The entire segment was highly entertaining, I was LMAO the entire time. BTW was it shameless & insulting when Mick did the same thing for Rock? Yeah didn't think so. Perhaps if you were willing to set your stupid irrational hatred of Cena aside & just allow yourself to simply be entertained by the segment you wouldn't come off sounding so fucking stupid right now. It was a fun segment, which is what wrestling should be, fun.

Even though i dont like cena, it may have actually have been foley's idea. mick foley said he liked cena, when foley did not work for the wwe. it was a way to bring up a funny segment from the past, while having all 3 members participate. was it fucking stupid? yes. but i thought it was entertaining, so i think it did its job.

The whole segment was unbelievable to me. It was basically a " lets see if we can get Cena over segment ".

Why is it that the minute anyone posts something negative about Cena, all the people come on with " OMG here we go again with the Cena haters ".

People are entitled to there own opinions.

The entire segment was a waste of time. It didnt do anything at all. It wasnt entertaining. It was purely boring until the Rock came out and rock bottomed Foley. Its insulting to fans to say Cena is one of the best wrestlers of all time, and I'm glad people dont buy into it. I respect EVERY WWE wrestler who puts the work in. Why should I have to respect Cena more? He doesnt do anything 80 percent of the match anyway. If anything, I respect the wrestlers he faces more then him. Least they put the work in during the match.

If anything, things like this are the reason people cant stand him. Just another segment of him being shoved down the fans face. I dont care how much he draws. His matches and promos speak for themselves.

" A match with Cena will do wonders for you're career simply because he draws " .. Theres alot of people you can put in a match because they drew. Cena doesnt get special treatment.

Overall, Didnt like the segment.

I just got back from the Garden, and I have to say, that to me the segment came off well in the crowd. My entire section was laughing their asses off during the segment, though, admittedly, I don't think it won Cena any fans as my section joined in full force during "Cena Sucks" chants. I think the segment was, as has already been mentioned in this thread, just supposed to be intentionally bad, and just a funny, entertaining way to introduce Mick Foley back into the WWE universe. It doesn't hurt that they were also trying to blatantly recreate the highest rated segment in Raw history.

The whole segment was unbelievable to me. It was basically a " lets see if we can get Cena over segment ".
Except that Cena's already over.
Why is it that the minute anyone posts something negative about Cena, all the people come on with " OMG here we go again with the Cena haters ".
Why is it Cena haters can't come up with anything original instead of bitching about how they're entitled to their own opinions?
People are entitled to there own opinions.
See.
The entire segment was a waste of time.
No it wasn't. It reintroduced Mick Foley who's been gone for three years and gave us a slight taste of what was to come later that night.
It didnt do anything at all. It wasnt entertaining.
Says you. Bet a casual fan wouldn't agree.
It was purely boring until the Rock came out and rock bottomed Foley. Its insulting to fans to say Cena is one of the best wrestlers of all time, and I'm glad people dont buy into it. I respect EVERY WWE wrestler who puts the work in. Why should I have to respect Cena more? He doesnt do anything 80 percent of the match anyway. If anything, I respect the wrestlers he faces more then him. Least they put the work in during the match.
Lulz. Let's see, a suplex takes two people to make it look good. Apply that to everything you just said.
If anything, things like this are the reason people cant stand him. Just another segment of him being shoved down the fans face. I dont care how much he draws. His matches and promos speak for themselves.
You mean they're great? I agree, his promos are awesome. There's no denying it.
" A match with Cena will do wonders for you're career simply because he draws " .. Theres alot of people you can put in a match because they drew. Cena doesnt get special treatment.
LofuckingL! You don't realize what Cena can do and you don't understand what that statement means. Take Dolph Ziggler vs Mason Ryan. No one would give two shits about that match. Take Ziggler vs Cena. Now tell me which is more appealing.
Overall, Didnt like the segment.
Sucks for you.

No no no. It was not meant to put John Cena over. At the beginning of the segment, when the video package showed, it may have seemed that way. It showed his childhood and how his dream of wanting to be a professional wrestling came true. That's undoubtedly admirable, but when the segment progressed, we see that it was a segment that was simply supposed to be entertaining. If the WWE's true intentions were to put Cena over, why have his dad vocally feverishly demean his son's detractors, when knowingly that will only cause them to rebel harder? John Cena said during his dad's diatribe that if his fans didn't hate him before, they will now.

Make no mistake about it, this was just a fun segment - not to put over Cena.

Cena is already the most over guy among the current roster. Why the hell do they need a segment to get him over?

This segment was just to fill up some time and make the fans happy to see Foley do something popular that he did years ago. It was more of a 'Welcome back Foley' rather that a 'put over Cena' segment.

Jesus people. Put Cena over? Really? Really? REALLY??? What about that segment made you think that they were trying to get Cena over w/ the haters? Was it when they brought out Bull Buchanon and he told Cena that he ruined his life? Or was it when they marched his dad out there and bitched out his detractors? I was actually expecting, while watching this segment, that they are putting the wheels in motion for a Cena heel turn. Yeah, I know what everyone is going to say "More clamoring for Cena to turn heel, but it's never gonna happen" but, think about it. The biggest reason that most people give when they're anti-heel turn is that Cena sells merchandise. Punk has overtaken him and, like him or not, Zack Ryder is really climbing the merch scale as well. I may be 100% wrong on this but it seems like the seeds are being planted for Cena to say "screw the haters, screw the fans, I'm sick of being this poster boy"

That segment seemed to drag on forever, to me atleast. I get the point of the segment, but I too was also happy to see the rock put an end to that segment, just like i was happy Punk put an end to that horrible opening segment

I'm lukewarm as a Cena fan. I generally like him, except for some of the homophobic drivel he spouted in his promos years ago (and his moveset *is* limited and his matches are repetitive). Yet I enjoyed the segment. Mick's too-eager-to-please introductions and apologies (and Cena's embarassed reactions) were entertaining enough to sell the gags while remaining true to their characters, and I was actually surprised and delighted to see Bull Buchanan again.

Now if you want a drawn out and boring segment, well, everyone can take the Michael Cole challenge -- to see how ugly and obvious a quarter hour of WWE television can be. Even Punk couldn't save that. Just awful.

Wow can't believe the hate for this segment from some on here because I thought it was brilliantly done and had me laughing all the way through! And I loved the way Cena played it all the way, some of his off the cuff remarks had me in hysterics especially the comment regarding how badly the segment was going! A brilliant segment with a bit of nostalgia, great ending and all in all one of the highlights of the show IMO!

What was funny is that Foley got basically no pop. Either the fans were either all 12 year old Little Jimmies (which was not the case since that crowd was clearly pro-Rock) or they were annoyed and didn't give a shit. Either way, whatever they were trying to do with this segment, didn't work.

It was too long. If it was a few mins, fine. Everyone laughs, we go to commercial. But this bit seemed to drag on and on.

Why do some of you think Cena is the most over? Did you listen to the Zack Ryder, The Rock and CM Punk's reactions last night? Have you read the news that both CM Punk and Zack Ryder merchandise sales have outsold John Cena?

I'm not one of those John Cena haters. I enjoy most of his feuds (albeit I prefer when he's not in title matches due to the predictability of him winning). I used to enjoy the split crowd responses, although now it's become more boos than cheers.

You have to admit, that was a terrible crowd response last night. Cena is the face of the WWE and he got booed as badly as early 90's Sgt. Slaughter. They really have to do something to freshen him up. Turn him heel? Maybe, but it should be done progressively. Have him lose at WrestleMania and then bitch about it for weeks until he comes out and tells the CeNation that he PROMISES he will end the Rock's career early in his comeback. Then let him lose at SummerSlam where he snaps... It's the only way we can get some edge out of John Cena.

This segment with Foley was not done to "put him over with the crowd", because the fact is, that's nearly impossible. The crowd has DECIDED. They do not want John Cena. They want CM Punk, they want edge in their characters, and Cena just doesn't provide that. Cena provides blatant pandering and sucking up and not much else. "This is my life, performing in front of the crowd that I love!" Come on, it's like he's desperate for cheers. He comes off as desperate and the crowd gets turned off.

CM Punk came out one day, insulted Mr. McMahon, John Cena and the establishment and even insulted the fans for harassing him at airports for autographs. And guess what? He got cheered for it. And he was a heel at the time! That was because the fans felt the edge, the honesty, the struggle in Punk's voice. In Cena, we don't get that, and that's why people are slowly getting turned against him. It used to be 50/50 reactions, but its become 70/30 and soon it will be 80/20.

No self-respecting male over the age of 18 is going to go out and buy his corny shirts and other gear if they previously hated him - that's the reason Cena is still face - merch money.
I would. I'm 27.

If I'm going to spend money on a WWE product, why wouldn't I spend it on a respectable person like Cena?

It seemed to try and bridge a gap and recall the (in)famous This Is Your Life segment with Foley and Rock during the Rock and Sock Connection days. There's no denying this incarnation failed miserably in comparison compared to the original.
It was never trying to be the original. Anyone with a brain could see from the moment it was announced it would be nothing like the original. The original was funny because the Rock verbally blasted his guests. Anyone with a brain would know Cena wouldn't do that.

The point of the segment wasn't to have any comparison with the original. The point of the segment was to be entertaining in its own right, which it was.

At the end of the day, there isn't anyone out there today that can help get Cena 'over'. WWE has shown they are more than comfortable letting Cena be loved by some, hated by more. As long as the merchandise sells, the WWE can use the mixed responses as a way to push him. Neither Rock or Cena will get each other over in way shape or form. They only thing they will get over, is a big WM buy rate.
Very well said.

:lmao:

As opposed to every other segment on a TV show which isn't about trying to get a wrestler over?

Its insulting to fans to say Cena is one of the best wrestlers of all time, and I'm glad people dont buy into it.
Since when has it been insulting to state something which is true?

Foley has said it's true. Jericho, Angle, Hogan, Flair, Hart...they've all said it's true. What makes your opinion better than theirs?

I respect EVERY WWE wrestler who puts the work in. Why should I have to respect Cena more?
Because the work he puts in is more than what most other wrestlers do, and he's been doing it for over 5 years in that capacity. If you love the WWE, you should love a man who loves pro wrestling, and is willing to dedicate his entire life to doing whatever it takes to make pro wrestling more mainstream.

Which John Cena has done tremendously well.

He doesnt do anything 80 percent of the match anyway. If anything, I respect the wrestlers he faces more then him. Least they put the work in during the match.
I'll tell you what.

I'll pick you up and throw you down, and you take the landing and the pain that comes with it. We'll do it 10 times, and then tell me who is putting in more work.

Why do some of you think Cena is the most over? Did you listen to the Zack Ryder, The Rock and CM Punk's reactions last night? Have you read the news that both CM Punk and Zack Ryder merchandise sales have outsold John Cena?

:lmao:

Cena got a great pop, Ryder is only getting over BECAUSE of Cena, and the "news" you're talking about is that Ryder was #10 on the best sellers list (not ahead of Cena) and that Punk had one or two items better than Cena, who hadn't had a new shirt in like 6 months.

It's amazing how little people like you understand the things you read.

It just didnt work the fans hated him more because theyre fed up of having Super-Cena shoved down their throats each and every week.

The thing is it was so corny it was funny...

I was laughing throughout the whole thing. With Cena pretending to be embarrassed and Mick Foley acting like his usual goofy self I actually felt that Mick Foley never left the WWE. And the Rock coming out to end the show with Cena left laughing couldnt have been a better ending...

It wasnt Cena hogging the spotlight through Mick Foley. It was a way to bring back Mick Foley to WWE TV in a funny and fan friendly way. The live crowd looks like they had fun. Why cant u ??

In all fairness if you substitued Cena for CM Punk the majority of people would be on here claiming what a brilliant segment it was and how much they enjoyed it, Im not a Cena fan but even I know people are just bitching because it was Cena he will never be able to do anything right in some peoples eyes but the WWE does not care and neither does he and I respect him for that! I thought he was great in that segment last night credit where credit is due and Foley was right he deserves a lot more credit than he actually gets! If anything that segment was infact meant to reinforce that cena is the man and that he is loved and hated in equal measure! You name any other star in the history of WWE that has acheived that?

Have you read the news that both CM Punk and Zack Ryder merchandise sales have outsold John Cena?

I'm sorry, but you're just factually wrong here. *Punk* merchandise has outsold Cena's, yes, but Ryder's absolutely has not. Ryder cracked the top 10, he did not surpass Cena.

Why do some of you think Cena is the most over?
You have to admit, that was a terrible crowd response last night. Cena is the face of the WWE and he got booed as badly as early 90's Sgt. Slaughter.

So... In one breath, you question the idea that Cena's over... and in the next, you talk about what a loud reaction he got? Que?

You do realize that heels get over too, right? Cena is the most over man on the roster because he gets the biggest reaction from the crowd. He is insanely mega over with a certain segment of the audience as a face, and he is insanely mega over with another segment of the audience as a heel. Sum total, most over man in the company.

As for the OP, this segment was in no way supposed to get Cena over, you can't get him over when he's already there. And this segment was also not meant to switch Cena from a heel to a face with the segment of the crowd that already hates him. What part of having him be part of a goofy segment is supposed to get him over with the fans who already think he's a goof? What part of having his dad shit all over everyone who boos him is supposed to get him over with the people who boo him? No, this segment was supposed to reintroduce Foley, tie in to the Rock feud, and be entertaining, and in my opinion, it succeeded on all accounts. I literally laughed out loud to Cena's dad after chuckling throughout the earlier portions of the segment. It was a great throw back to old times, it was a great reintroduction for Foley and tease of the Rock, and was just fun television. It was never meant to change anyone's opinions about Cena.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back