• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

**MERGED** All Ryback Discussion (Keep all of it in here!!)

Do you tell your friends / family your gonna be on TV?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Turning him heel would make sense to try and end the comparision to Goldberg. Have Punk defeat Cena and injure him more and at the end of the PPV Ryback comes out and throws Cena through the Cell shoulder first. I think Ryback taking Cena's place at Live Events is both seeing what he can do against Punk and to set up the swerve. Either Ryback or Lesnar help Punk win at the RR and EC having one of them in a #1 Contenders match at WM against Cena and Rock. Make the most sense if it was Lesnar and have Ryback replace him with Heyman. If its true and taker win the RR match and then have Punk beat Taker's streak at WM and then defeat Lesnar in some PPV's after Mania and slowly build Ryback up for a match against Punk either at next year's SSlam or Sseries

Ryback shouldn't go heel right now. He's only just starting to gain momentum as a babyface during his program, or whatever this is, he's had going with CM Punk for the past few weeks.

WWE's set pretty well with heels right now. CM Punk, Dolph Ziggler, Cody Rhodes, Damien Sandow, PTPs, Daniel Bryan, Kane, Alberto Del Rio, Big Show, etc. are all solid to fantastic heels on the WWE roster right now. Bryan & Kane might be more tweeners at this point, but you get my meaning. Right now, the strongest babyfaces on the roster are John Cena, Sheamus & Randy Orton. There's talk of turning Orton heel next year in order to feud with Sheamus over the WHC. WWE could use strong babyfaces more than strong heels right now.

I could see Ryback going heel easily at some point down the line. It wouldn't be hard at all, especially given his size & look. Right now, Ryback is only truly starting to gain ground & momentum as a babyface. I'd rather see WWE stick with him as a face for now and see where it goes. As I just said in another post, I think a lot of fans are suddenly rushing into things with Ryback. There's still quite a bit that needs to be done with this guy in the long run. Sure, what he's got going on with Punk right now is interesting and has an air of unpredictability about it. That's great and all, but Ryback still needs time and to be tested. Just switching things up just when he's gaining ground probably won't do him any good.

Ryback doesnt need to talk. Why spoil a good thing? Give him some green and blue flashing lights.. Some pyro and let him come to the stage and kick ass..

The crowd loves him.

Its too late to give him a mouth piece. If they were going to do that they should have done that when he debuted.

I think he needs more moves in his arsenal. And he needs another finisher for when he fights those Super Heavyweights that he cant lift.

With Ryback, you have a guy that has a name that's pretty damn hard to take seriously. At least CM Punk was explainable.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. CM Punk is as ******ed, if not more so, than Ryback is. Pro Wrestling is theater, and people expect made-up, silly names. These guys are characters, not competitors in most of the public's mind.

Ryback is stupid, don't get me wrong. But CM Punk? That's even dumber.

Of course...anything happens, turn heel. Smh. Leave him be the way he is. Heel or Face Ryback will be Ryback - an ass kicker. Simple as that. The only benefit from being a heel is that he can attack faces as well as heels. Other than that, I love Ryback the way he is.

p.s. keep up the good work rybo! take the belt from that mentally challanged CM Punk who punches fans all day!

Honestly, I'm very surprised that WWE is still going for a Ryback kind of character after all of the good things (besides the negative) the media has been saying about wrestlers like CM Punk.

What does a character like Ryback say to a casual viewer that sees themselves as too mature for their product? They can say all they want that it's a product that mainly appeals to kids, but that's far from true with how much attention they want from mass media outlets.

CM Punk may not be able to convince a lot of people that he can beat The Big Show, but he is an articulate speaker and a fantastic entertainer. And now, he's being paired with a guy whose vocabulary may be below 10 words? It doesn't help that every casual viewer that watches wrestling sees the Ryback character and immediately makes fun of him, and the crowd for repeating the same three words over and over again while flailing their arms.

You think The Rock got popular only because he looked the part? No. It's because he was funny, and a great entertainer that appealed to the majority of the viewing audience.

With Ryback, you have a guy that has a name that's pretty damn hard to take seriously. At least CM Punk was explainable. Ryback won't help the ratings, he'll only hurt them. He's exactly what the news anchor that interviewed Punk was talking about when he said to Punk, "I'm really surprised by how articulate you are. I envision most wrestlers as hulks."

What we need from Ryback? Someone who doesn't make a viewer feel like their IQ is lowering just by giving him their attention. Someone who can actually connect with a crowd besides exploiting the fact that they enjoy chanting and flailing their arms. As of right now, Ryback isn't even close to what Vince thinks he's looking for.

Lately you have replied to every single Ryback thread, slamming him for one reason or another. The amount of threads that people are making about him should say it all. He is a Monster, a Guy the fans want to see.

Remember a Casual fan who doesn't know much about a Wrestler will love a guy like Ryback. Yeah daniel Bryan can do a back summersault from the turnbuckle, but he can't Powerslam, Gorilla Press, and beat a guy down so convincingly like a Ryback can.

It doesn't matter if he is limited, green, stiff or dangerous in the ring, he has a great look and intensity and a lot of Knowledgable Wrestling fans will buy into it not to mention the casual ones.

I also like Ryaback as it seems he doesn't push his size around in the back. I'm hearing stories of CM Punk being a complete and utter ******** outside the ring, which is discouraging as i love to watch CM Punk.

I hope WWE pamper Ryback right to a WWE or WH Championship. It won't be easy, but this man is going to be a massive star i think.

Trust me Casual fans are clamouring for Ryback. My wife hates wrestling, my son isn't that interested either. BUT when Ryback comes out to the "Feed me More" The hand wiggle and then the explosion, my house gets a lot louder. My son runs in to see him. Even my wife turns her head from the Xmas Shopping online to take a look. He is intense.

Most clued up fans probably will call him a joke. Green, Stiff, all that crap, but to the casual Fan and young kids is he Appealing? damn right he is.

I can't tell you what I would like to see BEFORE his possible WWE Championship match, but I can tell you what I would like to see when he does get his shot at the title.

What I want to see from Ryback is even more aggressiveness. I mean, sure. He has been demolishing the WWE locker room of jobbers even to the point where they are recycling some of the guys he has beat already. When he gets his title match (preferably against CM Punk) I want to see him beat CM Punk within in an of his life. I'm talking throwing him around like a rag doll; over barricades, onto announce table, and etc.

I have not read up on any of the replies from this thread, but I'll assume many have already said, "He needs to talk", but I think that is what makes Ryback so unique. That's the essence of the gimmick. I would rather Ryback not speak at all as long as he can. Anyone remember, "Yup, yup, yup what it do?!" Just continue to say, "Feed Me More" and pump the arms and continue to get over.

Personally, I do not believe that Ryback should be involved in a World Title match whatsoever this early in his push. He needs to take out a big name before he does. Maybe someone of the stature of Del Rio, Show, Kane, Orton, or Sheamus. You put Ryback in a World Title match and he would HAVE to win the match. No way around it. If he lost it would destroy his momentum. That is why I would rather have Ryback have ONE serious feud with a main event status star before he goes for the championship.

To answer this question, no. Ryback was mocked when he was first introduced, but now, people love the guy. Some of the talent, faces and heels alike, wish that hey could get the crows reaction that Ryback does now. Besides, the WWE has too many heels as it is. They don't have that many big time faces, and Ryback could help to fill in that gap, especially with his... whatever it is with CM Punk. I'm pretty sure that he'll turn heel at some point down the road, given the fact that he could probably be the perfect monster heel, but at this point in time, it just seems like it would be just because if he turned heel. If the WWE intends on making Ryback somebody, turning him heel out of the blue won't help anybody.

Ryback is just getting over.

Putting him in the title scene is Vince blowing his load way too early, and may have short-term success, but won't be long-term. The fear here is that Vince has been known to blow it too early (See CM Punk last year).

Ryback should be winning US titles and IC titles first. Build him up. They're going the undefeated Goldberg streak route - so go all in. Goldberg held the US title for 2 - 3 months before he took on Hogan.

If they do the title shot - it has to be a No Decision finish. Ryback can't win the title yet. But he also can't lose.

One finish I could see is Lesnar coming back and ending the match prematurely by attacking Ryback. Setting up a Lesnar/Ryback blowoff match at Survivor Series or the Royal Rumble.... That would really help escalate Ryback to the main event scene. He will be way more ready after that.

No.

Don't turn him heel until you need to.

He's getting over as a face right now. Milk it. Milk the streak. Have him go over some mid-card / upper-mid card talent. Give him US and IC title reigns.

You have potentially 6 - 10 months left of Ryback being super over if he can follow the Goldberg model... Give him 4 more months of build + a 4 month World title reign before he will even start getting stale.

Milk it.

If he gets lost in the shuffle after a big World title win pay-off... so be it. Change the plan then. He will be established at this point... And at some point he will need to show vulnerability... and this can lead to a big come back.. or a heel turn if it doesn't work out the way Vince wants it to.

But for now, it's working.

It's funny reading some of the earlier posts. And in a way, Ryback is proof that a bad-ass / ass-kicking face (like Goldberg or like Austin) can get way more over than a generic white-meat babyface ...

Ryback doesn't need a promo. He doesn't need to speak. He just needs to kick ass. He will stay over.

Lesnar didn't. Goldberg didn't.

Let him chant "Feed Me More" and eventually "Feed Me <Insert Heel>". This gets over. Catch phrases get over. It sells t-shirts. It gives something crowds something to chant and yell along with their favourite face at live shows. That's what helped get Austin, Rock, NWO, Goldberg over. Run with it.

I don't want to see him in a World title match because it's too soon.

They're leap frogging over 6 months of potential build to turn him into the hottest challenger in the company. Feed him The Miz, Cesaro, Ziggler, Big Show, Lesnar... THEN put him in a World title match with Punk.

I have been thoroughly impressed with Ryback as far as crowd reaction and how he has been able to work crowds with the "feed me more" thing. It is truly amazing to watch, although it isn't really as captivating as watching a CM Punk, Stone Cold, or Rock. He has a different kind of charisma that isn't as entertaining. In short, he's the Goldberg of this generation with a better catchphrase. And while I have been impressed with Ryback's progression as a compelling presence on screen, I have been far less impressed with Ryback's lack of progression in the ring. He is utterly awful and isn't nearly as strong as guys like Punk or Cena for their respective sizes.

As far as putting a title on Ryback, I definetely would not make it the WWE Title. CM Punk is bringing back the long title reign and I don't think that Ryback is ready physically or mentally to become the face of the company with what that entails. We all seen how Ryback has messed up in the ring at times with Tensai, Jinder Mahal, and other lower card guys. How will he manage to do against upper card guys under pressure? Or for that matter, how will he manage NOT to injure someone? I like the fact that WWE is slowly trying to build another new guy into a big superstar. It what's they need at this point, a fresh face to shake things up. I simply do not think Ryback has it in him to last for any duration of time because of his rookie greenness and inability inside the ring. I just hope if a match happens with Punk/Ryback @ Hell In A Cell that Ryback doesn't injure Punk.....

I have been thoroughly impressed with Ryback as far as crowd reaction and how he has been able to work crowds with the "feed me more" thing. It is truly amazing to watch, although it isn't really as captivating as watching a CM Punk, Stone Cold, or Rock. He has a different kind of charisma that isn't as entertaining. In short, he's the Goldberg of this generation with a better catchphrase. And while I have been impressed with Ryback's progression as a compelling presence on screen, I have been far less impressed with Ryback's lack of progression in the ring. He is utterly awful and isn't nearly as strong as guys like Punk or Cena for their respective sizes.

As far as putting a title on Ryback, I definetely would not make it the WWE Title. CM Punk is bringing back the long title reign and I don't think that Ryback is ready physically or mentally to become the face of the company with what that entails. We all seen how Ryback has messed up in the ring at times with Tensai, Jinder Mahal, and other lower card guys. How will he manage to do against upper card guys under pressure? Or for that matter, how will he manage NOT to injure someone? I like the fact that WWE is slowly trying to build another new guy into a big superstar. It what's they need at this point, a fresh face to shake things up. I simply do not think Ryback has it in him to last for any duration of time because of his rookie greenness and inability inside the ring. I just hope if a match happens with Punk/Ryback @ Hell In A Cell that Ryback doesn't injure Punk.....

That's why it's too soon for his main event push.

Let's be honest, he will probably be no better than Goldberg in the ring. But Goldberg could at least have 10 minute matches... Different than 2 minute matches...

He needs a lot of seasoning.

Give him a couple of mid-card titles and let him continue to develop before putting him in the main event scene.

Even though it would be interesting to see, I doubt it will happen.

They need someone for Punk to feud with other Cena on the way to the Royal Rumble, and I can see Ryback having an opportunity at Survivor Series that he wins via DQ or loses by outside interference.

Ryback will one day most likely turn heel, but not right now when they are in need of another top babyface especially if it is true that Orton is turning heel, the only other top babyface other than Cena and Orton is Sheamus that is full-time. The others a part-time e.g. The Rock, Triple H and Undertaker, so for the time being I doubt we will see a Ryback heel turn.

Please don't even start. There's always a bunch of monster heels EVERY YEAR. No one ever cares about them. Ryback as a face that just kicks the heels ass is working. For the only reason that we haven't had that IN A LONG WHILE.
People don't even chant Golberg anymore, why fix something that is broken?

Come on guys, you want everyone to be heel. You need someone that fights the heels.
Sigh.

Turning Ryback heel because of the Goldberg comparisons makes no sense. ANY powerhouse face for many years forward who squashes opponents and has a muscular caucasian frame will get the same exact chants. The Goldberg chants will stop in time and have already diminished. Turning Ryback heel will just be another wrestler to feed to Cena.

In a time where there seems to be an over-abundance of heels, and very few faces that are legitimately over, turning Ryback heel is a bad move. He's gets a decent pop when he comes out now, the crowd seems to be really into the "Feed Me More!" chants, so I don't think it's a smart move to turn him. They should instead be looking at heels they can potentially turn into money-making babyfaces. With Ryback they need to be thinking about the future of him as a face, and how they plan on evolving his character when the streak angle eventually ends.

Right now? No.

Thankfully your question doesn't say "Should Ryback turn heel now?" so it's worth discussing. Eventually he will become a heel, he's a natural fit with his monster character and I just cannot see him taking the mantle of the face of the company. Besides at some point he's going to run out of heels to go over but I cannot see it happening in the short term; he needs time to become loved before he can be truly hated (look at CM Punk for a good and current example - he's easily the #1 heel in the business now and that has been hugely enhanced by the fact that for over a year he was challenging Cena as the face of the company)

I think what would work best would be to have Punk say that Ryback hasn't earned his 'respect' to earn a shot at him. Punk could cite that he scratched and clawed his way to the top and when he got there he held on to that top spot for 300+ days and there is no way he is giving that up for some flash in the pan. If Ryback wants a shot he'll have to go and earn Punk's respect. That way Ryback can move to the upper mid card, have a few more significant matches but at the same time continue to tease things with Punk in a really slow burn. If it continues to hold the public's interest, you could continue to have Punk say that he hasn't earned it and dodge him at every turn whilst scratching and clawing to hold onto the title. Punk faces the Rock at the Rumble and somehow manages to hold onto the title only to have Ryback win the Rumble and finally be able to get his shot at Punk at Mania. By this time people will be dying for Punk to lose the title, Ryback will have proven he is ready and the payoff should be huge. It might seem like a long shot and if Ryback isn't ready for a title match now why should he get one at mania but to me the build is something along the lines of Batista's first title win at Mania and would also give a fresh main event for the title. If we get Cena v Rock 2 - it won't need the title and would give Punk the best story heading in to the event.

I've become a pretty big Ryback mark over the last few months. The latest stuff is just icing on the cake for me. Ryback has slowly but surely looked like he was going to be a legitimate future star, if you've actually bothered to watch the guy carry on matches and listen to his pops.

I agree that he shouldn't get the title yet, but mainly just because people will get annoyed if he got one too soon. I think he certainly is good and will be better. Just needs to be around awhile so people will accept him as a champ without wondering "who the hell is this guy?".

I see a lot of people complain that Ryback has little experience, has only beaten jobbers, isn't proven, etc etc etc. But uh, you realize Ryback has 7 years of pro wrestling experience, right? Not 1? The guy's 30, not 23. He's only beaten jobbers, but he's over as a force WITHOUT being forced down our throats. The split second they put Ryback against a non jobber, you guys are bitching about it and saying he's being forced down your throat. Then out of the other side of your mouth you bitch that he's only beaten jobbers.

Which is it? He faces jobbers all day and isn't credible because of it, or he's being "forced down your throats" somehow because he beat The Miz once and clotheslined CM Punk once? Admit it, you'd bitch regardless because he clotheslined Punk last monday and made him bounce from the ring after staring him down the week before that. I'm positive that's where most of this negativity stems from.

And about the whole "jobbers or stars" wins. Guess what? The point of beating stars is to get over. He got over beating jobbers. Deal with it. He doesn't need 2 years of "reference matches". The crowd believes he is a huge force, and that's the intended conclusion.

The whining about him not cutting lengthy promos also doesn't matter either. Most wrestlers on the roster don't cut promos whether they're good at it or not. Only a few people ever get significant mic time. Guys like him don't need a lot of it. Let's look at Mark Henry's reign as WHC as an example. He barely had any lines, and was a heel. Was hugely over by dominating people.

In Ryback's case, he's a face, and also quicker and more energetic. He doesn't need to be like Punk, and show medium energy, not much in-ring intensity, and get over on the mic. That's your guys' problems, and why you're so confused why people just don't agree with you at all.

More than one way to get over. . .Ryback's doing it with the "immortal monster face" gimmick. Seen before in Ultimate Warrior, Goldberg, and Batista. None of those dudes yammered on the mic all day either. They did their shit and the crowd liked it.

Ryback is the new immortal monster face who's role is to hit the ring, bounce heads off the wall, and excite the crowd.. He's not the new average-looking, medium energy, good mic talker that will talk the crowd into a few cheers to try and get them invested in their otherwise not very intense matches.

I don't think Ryback should turn heel anytime soon. WWE needs to have some more faces in the main event scene who can get over the crowd and Ryback seems to be doing a pretty good job at the moment. There has to be someone who can draw if Cena isn't around.

turning ryback heel right now would be a mistake, but like other people said maybe down the road....sure but its to soon for him now

All Ryback has to do is come out and destroy people. I look for HIAC to be a triple threat with Cena winning or Punk retaining. Ryback will be used to help Cena through the match if he is not 100%.

I have to say that i think that Ryback being considered for a title match and even having the title is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!! I agree with whoever said he looks like an over sized Hornswagle!!!!!!!!!!! He is a terrible wrestler with a terrible look and a lousy finisher, he is not impressive whats so ever and he has done absolutely nothing to even deserve a title shot!!!!!!!!!! This is the time for the WWE to bring up someone worthy enough from the mid card limbo land and give them an opportunity to be a main eventer. Hell In A Cell is a big event and I honestly would like to see Punk face someone who can give us a 5 star match in a cage; not someone who is all around terrible in the ring who is just strong!!!!!!!! When you look at guys before Ryback who he is compared too like Goldberg and Warrior who were the next big thing as unstoppable creditable believable face who is so strong that they can beat all the heels and the jobbers be a mid card champion and beat the face of the company. Ryback I cant see as the next big thing because he has no charisma he has a bland look and he is terrible in the ring and we have yet too see what he can even say on the mic. I think he is a huge waste of time and space and I feel that someone who has busted his ass in the mid card like Kofi Kingston deserve this chance and opportunity to wrestle in the main event of a PPV for the WWE championship because he has earned it as a top mid card champion and tag team champion sure his mic skills aren't good at all but if he only had to say 3 words he was sound alot better than Ryback!!!!! Ryback is a ******ed name for a wrestler what the hell is a Ryback???????????? This chance for Ryback to win or be given a title shot is BS and should be given to someone who bust their ass night in and night out in the mid card!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back