• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jesse Sorensen Released from TNA

I don't but I could probably find them if I looked.

Main Event's job is to stay on air and attract an audience. it's doing that, therefore it's a success.

Go find them.

Given that the network almost certainly signed the show to at least a twelve month contract - its continued existence does not demonstrate success. Attracting an audience above a certain threshold does, but we don't know what that threshold is or what audience it is managing to attract or retain. Superstars lasted this long, and nobody in their right mind would have called it a success on the eight month mark.

I like that your assessment makes Hogan's presence in TNA unambiguously successful though.

Go find them.

This is all I could find.

PWTorch.com - Nine months in WWE's new "Main Event" show on Ion Television, the Wednesday night show has regressed to the ratings performance when the show launched in October 2012. PWTorch has received a full ratings break down for the show through last week's show on July 10. The break down:

- From October 3 to December 26, Main Event averaged a 0.77 rating. As WWE viewers discovered the show or made it part of their habitual viewing, the show never scored higher than a 0.8 rating, but never scored lower than a 0.7 rating.

- During WrestleMania Season from January 2 to April 10, Main Event averaged a 0.93 rating, an increase of 17 percent from the Fall Season ratings. Included was the highest-rated Main Event episode during the run - a 1.1 rating on February 13 when Chris Jericho hosted the Highlight Reel and the only match was Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto Del Rio for 22 minutes.

- After Mania season, Main Event regressed to the Fall 2012 ratings performance. From April 17 to July 3, Main Event averaged a 0.78 rating (vs. 0.77 in Fall 2012).

Other Highlights

- The highest-rated show following Mania Season was the May 29 episode, which scored a 0.9 rating for Sheamus vs. Wade Barrett. Sheamus-Barrett replaced a tag match that WWE advertised on Raw, then changed on Main Event. Notably, the last five weeks of Main Event have performed poorly: a 0.7 rating for each episode in June (June 5, 12, 19, and 26), and a 0.8 rating last week on July 3. It's worth noting the June Swoon began after the May 29 episode, which was in the middle of a pattern of WWE changing the "Main Event" that was advertised two nights earlier on Raw.

- More significant is the drop-off among general viewers - the adults 18-49 demographic, which Ion is looking for on broadcast television.

Fall 2012 - ME averaged 0.39 rating in a18-49
Mania Season - ME averaged 0.40 rating in a18-49
Post-Mania - ME dropped to 0.31 rating in a18-49

Go find them.

Given that the network almost certainly signed the show to at least a twelve month contract - its continued existence does not demonstrate success. Attracting an audience above a certain threshold does, but we don't know what that threshold is or what audience it is managing to attract or retain. Superstars lasted this long, and nobody in their right mind would have called it a success on the eight month mark.

I like that your assessment makes Hogan's presence in TNA unambiguously successful though.

Superstars lasted two years on nationwide TV.

No one in their right mind would call either show a failure either, which is why you called them such.

I can't say I blame Dixie for being careful with him. What happened to him was not pretty at all.

Chances are he can get any other paying job at this point other than wrestling.

I suppose he could get another job considering he was named marketing/production assistant.

Superstars lasted two years on nationwide TV.

No one in their right mind would call either show a failure either, which is why you called them such.

Ring of Honor Wrestling lasted two years on nationwide TV.

Superstars drove 50% of its audience away in twelve months and performed so far bellow the level it was intended to that it was literally axed by the network, who were publicly reported to be extremely unhappy with the quality of programming provided to them by the WWE.

The show was sold to a network along with certain expectations. It failed to achieve those expectations. It was canceled by the network. It failed.

Your logic brands every single show that endures its first season an unmitigated success.

I consider Main Event a failure. It was supposed to be centered around the Intercontinental title, right? Still waiting on that. There was a tournament scrapped, numerous announced matches scrapped. Add ratings that even TNA's worse surpasses and it's safe to say that Main Event's objectives for it's first year did not pan out as planned.

Ring of Honor Wrestling lasted two years on nationwide TV.

Superstars drove 50% of its audience away in twelve months and performed so far bellow the level it was intended to that it was literally axed by the network, who were publicly reported to be extremely unhappy with the quality of programming provided to them by the WWE.

The show was sold to a network along with certain expectations. It failed to achieve those expectations. It was canceled by the network. It failed.

Your logic brands every single show that endures its first season an unmitigated success.

I'll give you Superstars as I misspoke on it being a success long term. Main Event I don't consider a failure whatsoever, at least not until it's off the air.

I consider Main Event a failure. It was supposed to be centered around the Intercontinental title, right? Still waiting on that. There was a tournament scrapped, numerous announced matches scrapped. Add ratings that even TNA's worse surpasses and it's safe to say that Main Event's objectives for it's first year did not pan out as planned.

I wouldn't put much stock in the IC Title stuff. Was that ever an official announcement or was it just scuttlebutt?

The matches being changed happens on a lot of shows, not just Main Event.

As for the show being on the level of Impact or below, it's the C show of a company. If Impact didn't beat it then TNA would be in real trouble.

They announced an Intercontinental Championship Tournament one week, then retracted it the next. I don't ever recall that title being the focus of the show, though. It's just another show in the line of Sunday Night Heat and SuperStars.

What any of this has to do with Jesse Sorensen, I haven't the foggiest.

I'll give you Superstars as I misspoke on it being a success long term. Main Event I don't consider a failure whatsoever, at least not until it's off the air.

That's a hell of a way to misspeak. And just to clarify so we know where we stand, the KB view is that any show that hasn't been canceled or isn't in the process of being canceled is a success?

That's a hell of a way to misspeak. And just to clarify so we know where we stand, the KB view is that any show that hasn't been canceled or isn't in the process of being canceled is a success?

Where did anyone say that Main Event was in the process of being canceled?

No. The KB view is that any show still on the air isn't a failure, contradictory to what you said when you declared all WWE shows debuted in the last however long to be failures.

Remember when WWE released Matt Cappotelli?

Went out of business soon afterward.

Yeah, the whole situation is overblown, but we're the IWC, so that's what we do.

From what I can gather, the outrage over the release is because he broke his neck working for TNA, whereas when Darren Drozdov was paralyzed working for WWE, they took care of him for years and gave him a ton of money when the two sides parted ways. The "going out of business" talk is based around the volume of releases coupled with rumors of financial problems brought on by travelling, going live, and producing their pay-per-views at once.

Everything else is just a fanboy flame war. Entertaining though.

No. The KB view is that any show still on the air isn't a failure, contradictory to what you said when you declared all WWE shows debuted in the last however long to be failures.

The same was true of Impact and it's still going. Until it fails, Main Event is a success.

So is it a success or not, and if so, why?

And for the record; I didn't actually know this show existed until this evening.

Any show on air isn't a failure?

You don't need a GCSE in Media Studies (which I do have, A*, for the record) to understand enough about television to know that is wrong.

The TV company pay for a show. If it's shit, they stick with it until they can afford to put something else on, otherwise they'd have dead air.

So is it a success or not, and if so, why?

And for the record; I didn't actually know this show existed until this evening.

To me, a success as I haven't heard any complaints about the numbers it's pulling in. If it's doing good enough to keep it on the air, it's doing its job. Then again there isn't much of a sample size to go off of for it, but I don't see how it can be declared a failure when it hasn't been canceled.

In short, not a failure and closer to a success than not.

To me, a success as I haven't heard any complaints about the numbers it's pulling in. If it's doing good enough to keep it on the air, it's doing its job. Then again there isn't much of a sample size to go off of for it, but I don't see how it can be declared a failure when it hasn't been canceled.

Depends on whether or not it is a sunk cost, how big of a sunk cost, and the alternatives.

I'm not an Ion executive but I'm guessing that their metric for success isn't Main Event's rating but the overall rating for the rest of network.

Not that simple. It's about cost effectiveness. If Main Event costs three times as much as Women's United Soccer Association to air, it has to draw three times the viewers, depending on the time of broadcast.

Yet I am quite certain I used to throw rocks at your head in all those old LDs in which you went on about TNA's unsuccessful status on account of the company 'failing to grow fast enough'

Where those comments wrong?

Depends on whether or not it is a sunk cost, how big of a sunk cost, and the alternatives.

Given how low Ion is on the cable spectrum, I can't imagine Main Event would need that strong of a performance to be near the top. It's a lot of reruns of network shows like Without a Trace, Criminal Minds and NCIS plus a Canadian show called Flashpoint.

No because that never happened.

Didn't they just let his contract expire or something?

Back on topic though - Thing is, Sorensen was getting paid above average to do some backstage production job, if I were him I'd just be happy to get some relevant experience in what is basically a successful weekly television show that's been on a major network for over half a decade. That's gunna' look good on your CV even if the TV show is wrestling.

If I were him I'd take everything I could out of working for TNA and go take it somewhere else. Fuck, he's got more chance of getting consistent employment now than when he was first injured, and if anything he stands a better chance in the job market than anyone else that's getting released. I don't see what the fuss is all about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back