Happy 82nd Annual Academy Awards LD!

Btw, I LOVE the fact that the Academy actually decided to give so many nominations to both District 9 and Star Trek. I assumed that with Avatar being so big, they wouldn't want to recognize any other sci-fi movies.

Star trek won make up or something.

Annie Hall may be a classic.

Star Wars is in the top oh 3 or so movies ever. Not sure what the other two are either. Great story, good performances, totally blew away all visual stuff before it, made a boatload of cash.

Which should win?

AMPAS has a hard-on for Woody Allen. Dude's been nominated like 15 billion times. And, like Shango said, Star Wars was way ahead of its time. Shit, Kubrick didn't even win Best Director for 2001, and that film will always be one of cinema's greatest achievements.

AMPAS has a hard-on for Woody Allen. Dude's been nominated like 15 billion times. And, like Shango said, Star Wars was way ahead of its time. Shit, Kubrick didn't even win Best Director for 2001, and that film will always be one of cinema's greatest achievements.

So will Star Wars. Big fan in case you can't tell.

My point is that for the longest time, the Academy hasn't known how to recognize sci-fi. And for good reason, when you think about how the genre came up.

IF Avatar wins, I think that its not just a win for that film, its a win FOR Star Wars, AND Space Odessey, AND Alien, and all the great sci-fi movies that made it possible for anyone to be willing to put up the kind of money it took to make Avatar.

Now if only they can start accepting the comedy genre again.

IF Avatar wins, I think that its not just a win for that film, its a win FOR Star Wars, AND Space Odessey, AND Alien, and all the great sci-fi movies that made it possible for anyone to be willing to put up the kind of money it took to make Avatar.

And pocahontas?

My point is that for the longest time, the Academy hasn't known how to recognize sci-fi. And for good reason, when you think about how the genre came up.

No way a win for Avatar is a win for Stars Wars lets not even bring them up in the same breath it's actually a slap in the face to Star Wars that a movie with a Mediocre Story wins Best Picture but a truly one of a kind movie like Star Wars doesn't.

Disagree.

2001 and Star Wars and Alien were about drama and acting and story mixed with special effects and the looks of it. Avatar has a weak as hell story, decent acting and more or less no drama but great visuals. What does that say about this is more important?

Where is all this shit about Star Wars for Best Picture coming from? I know this is difficult now but try and think about it as a singular film without any of the sequels and you'll realise it wasn't good enough to win.

Disagree.

2001 and Star Wars and Alien were about drama and acting and story mixed with special effects and the looks of it. Avatar has a weak as hell story, decent acting and more or less no drama but great visuals. What does that say about this is more important?

Those movies are what made it possible for sci-fi films to become Oscar favorites.

Oh, never mind. I can see there's just too much anti-Avatar sentiment to possibly make my point.

And I haven't seen Hurt Locker yet, so I can't actually tell which movie truly deserves to win. Although I've been pulling for Inglourious Basterds myself.

Those movies are what made it possible for sci-fi films to become Oscar favorites.

Oh, never mind. I can see there's just too much anti-Avatar sentiment to possibly make my point.

And I haven't seen Hurt Locker yet, so I can't actually tell which movie truly deserves to win. Although I've been pulling for Inglourious Basterds myself.
Avatar is simply not a good film in anything other than the visual aspects and directing. Not to me at least.

Where is all this shit about Star Wars for Best Picture coming from? I know this is difficult now but try and think about it as a singular film without any of the sequels and you'll realise it wasn't good enough to win.

Bullshit it was a truly groundbreaking film.

....yeah you're wrong.

Avatar is simply not a good film in anything other than the visual aspects and directing. Not to me at least.

I enjoyed some of the acting. Sigourney Weaver, Giovanni Ribisi, and Stephen Lang were all great. And Sam Worthington was okay.

I'd like to point out that Titanic's 11 Oscars were all for technical awards and directing. AND Best Picture.

Thats Unfair i actually like Avatar but it just isn't a best picture film it has a weak story but great Special Effects if that was the reason to give a film a Best Picture nomination Then Transformers should of got a nomination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back