Everyone is too nice around here

And I have no problem with that, but the way Sly wants it done is bull shit, high minded, and insulting to every single person on this forumn that doesn't "meet his standards".

And I have no problem with that, but the way Sly wants it done is bull shit, high minded, and insulting to every single person on this forumn that doesn't "meet his standards".

Personally, and I could be wrong, but I think he knows if he says things in a certain way it'll garner a reaction, and that it did.

Or maybe that's just his way of saying stuff.

Flames Out
Dragon

Yes he got a reaction, and also showed that he has the same weakness that I've said he's had since I met him. He doesn't go into the wrestling sections because it bores him? It's not like the rest of us are all thrilled by it. We go and post there because its wrestling, something that I for one love. I could care less how many posts they have. At some point, Sly was a newb. Someone debated him, and now he's established. So it was good enough for whoever did it with him, but its beneath him.

I agree with Dragon on this one. The way he put it may seem disrespectful, but I think it was to get people hooked on the idea and to get people thinking.

Or, like she said, that may just be his pure, unadulterated way of putting it.

Eliteism like his is one of the few things in the world that truly ticks me off. He's the same as all of these newbs he bashes. No official power, meaning no different.

Yes he got a reaction, and also showed that he has the same weakness that I've said he's had since I met him. He doesn't go into the wrestling sections because it bores him? It's not like the rest of us are all thrilled by it. We go and post there because its wrestling, something that I for one love. I could care less how many posts they have. At some point, Sly was a newb. Someone debated him, and now he's established. So it was good enough for whoever did it with him, but its beneath him.

I think it "bores" him because he knows there are people on these forums who could possibly have fleshed out, in depth opinions about the topics, but choose to BS in the Bar Room. And no doubt some of these opinions would differ from his. We have tons of posters in the BR who seem to post exclusively in every other section besides wrestling, myself included.

And what about the people that are in the wrestling sections day in and day out giving their opinions on every topic that come up, give coherent posts, and break no rules at all?

Eliteism like his is one of the few things in the world that truly ticks me off. He's the same as all of these newbs he bashes. No official power, meaning no different.

And a very valid reason to be pissed. I think he sees himself as above a lot of posters because of those who, well, kiss his ass.

But then again, I might be talking out of my own backside.

And what about the people that are in the wrestling sections day in and day out giving their opinions on every topic that come up, give coherent posts, and break no rules at all?

Honestly, I don't know. You can't doubt that the wrestling forums are thriving right now, we all know Sly enjoys picking posts apart. I don't see why he doesn't pick apart the fresh meat like Spawn and Shango do in the prison.

And that's what pisses me off abotu what he said. He's not better than them. Smarter? Possibly. Better poster? Possibly. But how can he prove it if he never debates with them? He gets by on his reputation, nothing more.

And that's what pisses me off abotu what he said. He's not better than them. Smarter? Possibly. Better poster? Possibly. But how can he prove it if he never debates with them? He gets by on his reputation, nothing more.

So do a lot of people. Not just on here, but on every kind of forum. People gain reputations for a reason.

Flames Out
Dragon

Honestly, I don't know. You can't doubt that the wrestling forums are thriving right now, we all know Sly enjoys picking posts apart. I don't see why he doesn't pick apart the fresh meat like Spawn and Shango do in the prison.

Which is the exact point of my whole argument. Sly says they're boring, yet he seems to be one of the handful that doesn't like it right now. I say the forums are in great shape right now, but because its not the way he wants it to be, it must change because it seems to me that the way he sees it, the only correct way is his way. It's as if hes saying that everyone else is wrong about this place and only he has any intelligence at all.

So do a lot of people. Not just on here, but on every kind of forum. People gain reputations for a reason.

Flames Out
Dragon

That's true, but I stand by my theory that Sly is far from as great as everyone gives him credit for. He's good don't get me wrong, but if you break down his debates, its half smoke and mirrors.

That seems to be the case most the time. He seems to only debate those we he thinks are near his "level", I'm afraid.

That's true, but I stand by my theory that Sly is far from as great as everyone gives him credit for. He's good don't get me wrong, but if you break down his debates, its half smoke and mirrors.

I've seen people say that and it doesn't make sense to me. He's a great poster, I don't see how he could magically hypnotize people with "smoke and mirrors" into believing that at all. Just admit that he's right A LOT.

Flames Out
Dragon

That seems to be the case most the time. He seems to only debate those we he thinks are near his "level", I'm afraid.

It also seems to me that he stays away from topics that he isn't a master at. He claims that this is because he isn't interested in them or he finds these arguments irrelevant. This sounds to me like him simply not wanting to put his reputation on the line or branch out.

I've seen people say that and it doesn't make sense to me. He's a great poster, I don't see how he could magically hypnotize people with "smoke and mirrors" into believing that at all. Just admit that he's right A LOT.

Flames Out
Dragon

What I'm saying is that in his debates, if you read them, you will very rarely see him adress the arguments the other person brings up. He will find flaws in the people's responses to his points and demand answers to them but never fight off the other points. That isn't debating, that's lecturing.

Woah. No way i'm gonna read all 32 pages of this, read the first few and got the jist.

Basically, get the fuck over it Sly. You think everyone is too nice, well that's your opinion. You can't change everyone to how you want them to be just because you find it boring. You find it boring? Fuck off then. Don't think everyone's gonna cry just cause you're gone.

You don't like the forums the way they are, don't stick around.

Woah. No way i'm gonna read all 32 pages of this, read the first few and got the jist.

Basically, get the fuck over it Sly. You think everyone is too nice, well that's your opinion. You can't change everyone to how you want them to be just because you find it boring. You find it boring? Fuck off then. Don't think everyone's gonna cry just cause you're gone.

You don't like the forums the way they are, don't stick around.

Eternal Dragon said:
And it's seen much worse too. I mean some people did say "Love it or Leave it" a lot in this thread, but aren't the efforts of all the admin and mods to clean up this forum from when people first joined up in 06 seen as a good thing? They didn't just leave it. Not that I'm trying to compare cleaning up a whole forum to just changing some stuff around in the Bar Room, but I think the intentions are the same. Right, so if that's all Sly's trying to do, improve, then there's nothing wrong with that either. Like I said before if you think there's no reason to improve how you post, if you think you're honest enough, and can voice your opinions, then so be it. No need to get mad over anything Sly said at all.

Flames Out
Dragon

:)

Klunderbunker said:
What I'm saying is that in his debates, if you read them, you will very rarely see him adress the arguments the other person brings up. He will find flaws in the people's responses to his points and demand answers to them but never fight off the other points. That isn't debating, that's lecturing.

If he's bringing up flaws to the people's response, then he's addressing their arguments...

Flames Out
Dragon

What a great thread. It's the first one a few months that I felt compelled to read from front to back. Leave it to good ol' Sly to get things started. And I couldn't agree more with him (and that does NOT happen often). There is so little debate that goes on anymore it is rather stale. Granted, I haven't been a "regular" on here for about 6 months now- partially because my schedule is busy- but partially because the posting just isn't as strong. I mean no disrespect by that, it's just the truth.
Alot of the people who were willing to debate and really get involved (such as Prax, Ace, Xfear, Wes, Kasey, AE, Tex, FlameLee, etc. etc- love 'em or hate 'em) were either banned for going a little too far or have just lost interest. Don't get me wrong there are still alot of great posters but it truly does seem like there is more ass kissing then debating going on.

:)

If he's bringing up flaws to the people's response, then he's addressing their arguments...

Flames Out
Dragon

No what I mean is he'll say something, they'll answer what he says and bring up points of their own. Sly will very rarely answer their original points. He'll talk about their rebuttals to his points, but not what their ideas are.

What a great thread. It's the first one a few months that I felt compelled to read from front to back. Leave it to good ol' Sly to get things started. And I couldn't agree more with him (and that does NOT happen often). There is so little debate that goes on anymore it is rather stale. Granted, I haven't been a "regular" on here for about 6 months now- partially because my schedule is busy- but partially because the posting just isn't as strong. I mean no disrespect by that, it's just the truth.
Alot of the people who were willing to debate and really get involved (such as Prax, Ace, Xfear, Wes, Kasey, AE, Tex, FlameLee, etc. etc- love 'em or hate 'em) were either banned for going a little too far or have just lost interest. Don't get me wrong there are still alot of great posters but it truly does seem like there is more ass kissing then debating going on.

Woot! Hi RVDGurl!!!!!! :D

Flames Out
Dragon

No what I mean is he'll say something, they'll answer what he says and bring up points of their own. Sly will very rarely answer their original points. He'll talk about their rebuttals to his points, but not what their ideas are.

But wouldn't their rebuttals be their ideas? :headscratch: I feel like we're going in circles here!

Flames Out
Dragon

But wouldn't their rebuttals be their ideas? :headscratch: I feel like we're going in circles here!

Flames Out
Dragon

Say it's a Hart Vs Michaels debate, and I make an opening post that Shawn is better. Then Sly makes one about Hart which I reply to. We ultimately end up talking more about Hart, which is really on his terms and what he knows more about, instead of him moving away from his comforts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back