• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CM Punk Gone From WWE - Keep It All Here

Is CM Punk right for leaving WWE?

• Yes, he saw his friend Bryan taking a backseat to a part timer and decided to leave.

• No, this wasn't punk's battle to fight and his fans deserve better.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am not talking about their product on TV. I am talking about the behind the scene business aspects. They made a mistake publicly on false advertising a wrestler and had to return money to customers causing them to lose money.

A company like the WWE learns from those type of mistakes and usually doesn't let another public situation like that happen again.

It is much like the GLADD incident with CM Punk. It happened once and not another issue. When something "controversial" happens on Twitter the WWE puts a stop to it pretty fast and has people apologize.

Oh no, I get what you're saying, they are a business, and if they don't want legal issues or losing money they better start getting their acts together before things turn out bad for them. But considering where in 2014, and things like this are still happening, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Well that's def a game changer I don't know if I should feel bad for the guy or call him a jackass? Just because your "burnt out" doesn't mean you can just up and quit your job. I imagine he's not the only guy in the locker room that feels that way. Just a odd turn of events.

Here is a new update.

I was honestly wondering how that would work, I'd imagine most guys are biting their nails at the idea of how much they'll get paid.

But Punk, I kind of get where he's coming from, there isn't anything left for him to do, he's banged up, tired, probably stressed out as well. If he's saved up enough money to say he's done and walks out, then alright, I can dig it, take the time off and possibly do some work with other companies.

This whole thing has kind of been a long time coming honestly, it was only a matter of time really before it would happen.

no way cm walkout wwe. If he got injured then he went home. So they use this for story. its their part of story. By using socialmedia they stop DB story and put punk story at top.

Don't we always jump to the "being worked" idea and are more often than not wrong? We are so close to Wrestlemania. Why would they remove their 2nd biggest draw (arguably) from storyline, live TV, and live events?

That makes no sense at all.

Dont understand why ppl always over think wwe creative ability. They have worked the fans in the past like the cm punk contract incident but that just them being reactive. Ya that was the only time as far as i know. WWE rarely be proactive trying to work the internet extensively. This is the same company that had John cena popping up on raw every single week after being "fired" without putting any effort trying to make it look real. AND have Cm punk returning in just two weeks after winning the title at MITB. Just to name a few

Cm Punk Cant Leave Hes under contract. he cant leave permanent tell hes contract is up. But giving him time off tho would be good . but they need to make a story out of it. so punk should do raw this Monday have Kane and the shield take him out tell Feb 24th than he be good to go. you could even leave him out tell march 10th if you had to:) ps hbk and hhh vs cm punk and Daniel Bryan

I'm guessing this is what happened:

Cm Punk was dealing with injuries plus he has mentioned that he feels burnt out. He probably asked for time off leading into Wrestlemania 30. WWE decided to turn it into an angle for the CM Punk vs HHH match at Mania. I'm guessing it's a work. Pure guess work though.

I hope he's gone for good, and that's coming from a huge CM Punk fan. People talk about how Sting is that one guy who never worked for Vince. Punk's going to be the first guy in a long time to show Vince he doesn't need him. And yes I understand that Vince doesn't need Punk either, but it's refreshing to see a wrestler who has worked his way up from the very bottom, actually saved his money, kept his friends, and is now telling WWE "I don't need this". If fans complain that he is walking out on them go watch him in Ring of Honor. If this is a legit walkout and he doesn't end up in ROH I will be amazed.

Correct but he can leave when ever he wants. He just doesn't collect the rest of his contract.

I do contract work for a living and if I finish the job early I get paid what I earned, not the whole contract because legally I quit working before the time was up.

When you sign an offer letter, your legally telling the company that I will be for a minimum for two weeks and that I will give you a notice if I plan to leave. The offer letter is your contract.

In terms of HR - All Punk just did was quit WWE. Now WWE doesn't have the pay the rest of his contract. But there is another side of it, he can't go compete in another promotion whether it's filmed or not until his contract is up. He can't file for unemployment (Like he needs to) as he quit the job. So basically if he did quit, he's out of work until July.

Cm Punk Cant Leave Hes under contract. he cant leave permanent tell hes contract is up. But giving him time off tho would be good . but they need to make a story out of it. so punk should do raw this Monday have Kane and the shield take him out tell Feb 24th than he be good to go. you could even leave him out tell march 10th if you had to:) ps hbk and hhh vs cm punk and Daniel Bryan

I think its a work, Punk has been unhappy in the WWE before he even had a verbal confrontation with Vince McMahon. And Punk has been candid in saying he an Vince McMahon has a pretty healthy relationship.

Even if Punk is unhappy I doubt he would leave a mere weeks before WM and miss out on a huge payday for the event.

For months we've read about how Punk's contract is up soon and how they are gonna do "something big" with him to basically convince him to stay...

There are no hard facts but it's a good indication that Phil Brooks contract ends in the summer. Last time he was in a very strong negotiating position as he was the most over guy in the company, was given a strong boost in being allowed the pipebomb promo and the storyline suited WWE at the time. It's entirely possible he wasn't going to re-sign but the law of averages says it was a case of him holding out for what he wanted, which was more about assurances and commitment to change.

3 years later and while he personally got his long push, the landscape is totally different with NXT and the new talent, yet some things don't and Bryan is now in his boat of 3 years ago... Punk knows he now is in a financial position and a standing with the fans to say to Vince something like

"I am clearly banged up, I have kept going beyond what I should and what we previously agreed I would and you haven't carried your commitments to me out in favor of guys like Batista and now Sting, Hogan and Warrior... I got flak for reacting to a fan assaulting me, Batista hasn't for reacting badly to far less... that is BS. That Bryan is seemingly where I was last time is a slap to my face because you said it would be different and talent would rise.

So if this is how it's going to be, If I'm even going to consider re-signing, I need time to think, rest, heal and decide and the only time that's going to work is now... if a match with Trips is all you really have for me, I'm going home to heal up for a few weeks so I am at my best cos as it stands, I will look and be awful...during that time I will decide what I am doing in the summer and you'll know by Mania if I am staying or not...sell it that I walked out and we'll build some heat and perhaps if the fans react badly to me being gone you will realise who it is they really want to see and start listening... Worst case I go in the summer and we had a good run working together and it ends right, rather than me getting hurt like Edge did."

Punk knows the "hold out" tactic won't wash a 2nd time as others have taken his impetus and there is no "big offer from WCW" this time for that but he can point to keeping his money well (he's almost as frugal as Foley) and say "I'm gonna go an buy into ROH or TNA if I leave here." Vince may or may not want that but he may not be able to prevent it either and give Punk what he wants to stay... We could be seeing the beginnings of Bret Hart version 2014...a split that is inevitable, sad but necessary for both sides.

Where Vince and Trips may worry, is that Punk could easily convince Bryan to jump with him as soon as his deal is up... Many seem ROH as small now, but they have TV - Punk and Bryan in that equation, with a few other cherry picks from TNA and WWE when contracts run out and some veterans and suddenly ROH could realistically be a viable threat... but also a blessing in disguise as some realistic and viable competition.

TNA with Punk involved suddenly becomes a different entity, people would watch, they could even pay off their "investor" angle with him... or there could be a Ted Turner/Mark Cuban type out there who wants in and Punk would be the impetus for a new fed. At the end of the day, most people who have seen or even watched Punk's doc know he is not the type to go home and sit on his money, he'll put it where his mouth is and give the people what he thinks they want...an alternative.

The most likely scenario however is nothing as exciting as any of the above...

WWE regularly rotates talent out to let them heal at various times of the year... Kane is on his way back from his at the moment, Henry and Show regularly take "time out" and even Cena took a month last year. With Sheamus just returned, there is a spot for Punk to do some healing, and it just happens they can make an angle out of it... That it's out is the same as Foley's twitter rants being out... no way they're not authorised or planned... that and Bryan just made the BBC, Punk walking out is big news too... Sting signing potentially? In the last week WWE has basically become the most talked about entertainment product in the world... right on schedule for the build to the Network and 30... I doubt Punk is really gonna walk out on that...but he perhaps wants to rest up and get his "Game face" ready for Mania - especially if he's gonna get to be the guy who finally retires Trips...

If this is true, it could be that he didn't expect others to take over his spot so easily as the number 2 guy behind Cena. In his mind he did everything that was asked of him and yet he still lost his spot on the roster due to no fault of his own.

In all seriousness, maybe he asked for a break till EC or later in the road to Wrestlemania to heal up. I doubt he is that unprofessional to abandon the show just before their superbowl.

I honestly don't think this is a work and I think CM Punk is done with the WWE for quite some time. We're well and truly on the Road to Wrestlemania and this time of year is definitely all hands on deck with everyone trying to get themselves the best spot possible on the show. You don't just ask for time off at this time of year and you definitely don't receive it.

My gut reaction is that WWE creative reacted to the Royal Rumble by ditching the Sheamus vs Bryan plans and swapped out Punk for Bryan in the Triple H feud. They clearly want to go with Batista & Orton or Batista v Orton v Brock at Mania so they know that they need to give Bryan's fans something a bit better than another match with Sheamus. Bryan beating Triple H at Mania might just do enough to quieten the fans down for the main event, particularly if Brock is also involved.

That would mean Punk would lose out on his big match and was probably handed a match with Kane or with Sheamus as his possibilities. We all know Punk and I don't think that would be in any way acceptable for him. So I think he just walked, which I don't blame him for. If I were busting my ass to make my boss money all year round and he suddenly brought in some outside guy for a few months to take all the glory I'd walk out too.

Don't we always jump to the "being worked" idea and are more often than not wrong? We are so close to Wrestlemania. Why would they remove their 2nd biggest draw (arguably) from storyline, live TV, and live events?

That makes no sense at all.

Disclaimer: Everything I'm saying here applies to me. When I say "we," I'm including myself.

---------------------------------------------------------------

It would be ballsy for the WWE to keep Punk off television for the 4-5 weeks leading into the final countdown to WrestleMania. It wouldn't make sense. But it could be huge...

I'm going to refer to Punk as Phil Brooks for a bit because I'm not talking about the character; I'm talking about the person. We know Phil Brooks has an issue with the WWE pushing big guys at the expense of smaller guys. We know that he has an issue with part-timers coming back and immediately being inserted into the WrestleMania main event. Furthermore, we like to believe that Phil Brooks wants to make his segments, his angles, more believable than the rest.

Given that the two issues we know he's had in the past are currently at work - Bryan being held down, Batista returning for the WrestleMania main event - it's not terribly far-fetched that he'd have issues with the company right now. Now, could CM Punk have come out Monday night, stated his peace, quit the company, and walked off stage? Sure. But the character has pretty much already done that in the past. Doing it again would seem repetitive, right?

It's possible that they've chosen to do it differently this time and to add a different level of realness to it. Keep Punk off TV for a few weeks, leak a story that he's quit the company as opposed to showing it on TV, and when he comes back (Raw in Chicago March 3?), it'll be unexpected and huge.

So why do we choose to believe that? Well, it comes down to our biases. We like CM Punk because he has a history of saying what most of are thinking. So when a story like this comes out, a story that actually shows him in a very negative light, we flip that story to fit our bias. "CM Punk didn't walk out on the company," we tell ourselves. "He's just working us. He's such a genius!"

It's not the first time we've used our bias to support or reject a report. It's not even the first time we've done that this week. Keep in mind that you're talking to a group of people that choose to believe Daniel Bryan was kept from the Royal Rumble match because the guys in charge don't want to admit that a smaller wrestler who doesn't fit their mold is currently their biggest star. So when news came out yesterday that this wasn't the case, that Bryan was kept from the Rumble match to further the story, we referenced our biases that said "The WWE really doesn't have a clue," and it led us to the conclusion that the report was bullshit.

If we eliminated those biases, then it might actually be believable that the WWE is simply making us want Bryan more - that they caught on to the fact that the YES chants get louder each time the fans perceive their guy has been slighted by the real-life powers that be. And so they're growing that phenomena by appealing to the real-life biases the fans have of the WWE's booking decisions. They know we don't think they know what they're doing. And by giving us stories that don't mesh with what we want, they could be playing off the perception we have of them. If that's the case, then well done, WWE - I fell for it.

...but then again, Fuck Triple H and his inability to do the right thing. Our bias says he's stupid, and by God, we're gonna filter these reports through those biases!

Wasn't there a report that CM Punk got injured during the RR and if so couldn't this just be a way to write Punk off TV for the month while also selling the Authority storyline? This repot did mention Punk spoke with Vince himself which could set-up Vince returning after the EC PPV and confront HHH/Steph about what is truly best for business?

Some parts I do agree, but there is a lot of disagreement.

Punk and many others have stated that his contract ends this summer. No question about it. Punk signed back a few years ago because in reality there was no else to go, and Punk isn't going back to indy's with the money he has made. It's like Sting will never go to the indy scene or even ROH with that kind of money. I'm still shocked AJ Styles did though, so nothing is impossible.

Punk has also stated in past interviews that he doesn't plan on doing this much longer. Similar Anderson said the same thing a few years ago. If you look at Anderson's schedule you'll see that his load has been reduced by a massive amount.

Punk is tired of carrying the WWE when Cena is not there. While Bryan might get the majority of the audience reaction, both Cena and Punk are backstage players now. We all know Cena doesn't need to win a title anymore to be relevant.

Also, people need to see that ROH is not as big as it seems. ROH reaches way less people than TNA. ROH is only around on the east coast, anybody west of Texas doesn't get ROH. Also TNA is available on a national television area, whereas ROH is available only on local stations. So Punk will not go back to ROH and neither will Bryan unless Sinclair can get ROH in all 50 states. That might not happen for quite awhile. Right now ROH is available in one market in CA, and that's Fresno. Nothing in San Fran, LA, or San Diego. Until they can get the LA market, I'm sorry ROH can not be considered a legitimate threat to WWE, or even TNA for that matter.

ROH TV: http://www.rohwrestling.com/content/ROHTVListings

For months we've read about how Punk's contract is up soon and how they are gonna do "something big" with him to basically convince him to stay...

There are no hard facts but it's a good indication that Phil Brooks contract ends in the summer. Last time he was in a very strong negotiating position as he was the most over guy in the company, was given a strong boost in being allowed the pipebomb promo and the storyline suited WWE at the time. It's entirely possible he wasn't going to re-sign but the law of averages says it was a case of him holding out for what he wanted, which was more about assurances and commitment to change.

3 years later and while he personally got his long push, the landscape is totally different with NXT and the new talent, yet some things don't and Bryan is now in his boat of 3 years ago... Punk knows he now is in a financial position and a standing with the fans to say to Vince something like

"I am clearly banged up, I have kept going beyond what I should and what we previously agreed I would and you haven't carried your commitments to me out in favor of guys like Batista and now Sting, Hogan and Warrior... I got flak for reacting to a fan assaulting me, Batista hasn't for reacting badly to far less... that is BS. That Bryan is seemingly where I was last time is a slap to my face because you said it would be different and talent would rise.

So if this is how it's going to be, If I'm even going to consider re-signing, I need time to think, rest, heal and decide and the only time that's going to work is now... if a match with Trips is all you really have for me, I'm going home to heal up for a few weeks so I am at my best cos as it stands, I will look and be awful...during that time I will decide what I am doing in the summer and you'll know by Mania if I am staying or not...sell it that I walked out and we'll build some heat and perhaps if the fans react badly to me being gone you will realise who it is they really want to see and start listening... Worst case I go in the summer and we had a good run working together and it ends right, rather than me getting hurt like Edge did."

Punk knows the "hold out" tactic won't wash a 2nd time as others have taken his impetus and there is no "big offer from WCW" this time for that but he can point to keeping his money well (he's almost as frugal as Foley) and say "I'm gonna go an buy into ROH or TNA if I leave here." Vince may or may not want that but he may not be able to prevent it either and give Punk what he wants to stay... We could be seeing the beginnings of Bret Hart version 2014...a split that is inevitable, sad but necessary for both sides.

Where Vince and Trips may worry, is that Punk could easily convince Bryan to jump with him as soon as his deal is up... Many seem ROH as small now, but they have TV - Punk and Bryan in that equation, with a few other cherry picks from TNA and WWE when contracts run out and some veterans and suddenly ROH could realistically be a viable threat... but also a blessing in disguise as some realistic and viable competition.

TNA with Punk involved suddenly becomes a different entity, people would watch, they could even pay off their "investor" angle with him... or there could be a Ted Turner/Mark Cuban type out there who wants in and Punk would be the impetus for a new fed. At the end of the day, most people who have seen or even watched Punk's doc know he is not the type to go home and sit on his money, he'll put it where his mouth is and give the people what he thinks they want...an alternative.

The most likely scenario however is nothing as exciting as any of the above...

WWE regularly rotates talent out to let them heal at various times of the year... Kane is on his way back from his at the moment, Henry and Show regularly take "time out" and even Cena took a month last year. With Sheamus just returned, there is a spot for Punk to do some healing, and it just happens they can make an angle out of it... That it's out is the same as Foley's twitter rants being out... no way they're not authorised or planned... that and Bryan just made the BBC, Punk walking out is big news too... Sting signing potentially? In the last week WWE has basically become the most talked about entertainment product in the world... right on schedule for the build to the Network and 30... I doubt Punk is really gonna walk out on that...but he perhaps wants to rest up and get his "Game face" ready for Mania - especially if he's gonna get to be the guy who finally retires Trips...

If WWE is going to write Punk off for an angle they would put it on their website. This is not on WWE's site, so this is not a work. I hate to say it, it sounds true.

Wasn't there a report that CM Punk got injured during the RR and if so couldn't this just be a way to write Punk off TV for the month while also selling the Authority storyline? This repot did mention Punk spoke with Vince himself which could set-up Vince returning after the EC PPV and confront HHH/Steph about what is truly best for business?

CM Punk vs. Triple H has been pretty much set-in-stone for months. Punk all but confirmed the match in an interview. No way Punk left when he's going to have such a high-profile match. This is just a way to do a Summer of Punk-like program that gets Punk to "come back" for a match with the COO.

(The only way this might be legit is if after the Rumble, Steph went up to Punk on Raw and told him that plans changed and that Triple H will be facing Bryan at Mania. I can see Punk being pissed enough to take his ball and go home if that happened.)

EDIT: Thinking about it, it's funny how TNA lost AJ and WWE lost CM in the same month. It would be cool to see them face off in ROH if this happens to be true.

Some parts I do agree, but there is a lot of disagreement.

Punk and many others have stated that his contract ends this summer. No question about it. Punk signed back a few years ago because in reality there was no else to go, and Punk isn't going back to indy's with the money he has made. It's like Sting will never go to the indy scene or even ROH with that kind of money. I'm still shocked AJ Styles did though, so nothing is impossible.

Punk has also stated in past interviews that he doesn't plan on doing this much longer. Similar Anderson said the same thing a few years ago. If you look at Anderson's schedule you'll see that his load has been reduced by a massive amount.

Punk is tired of carrying the WWE when Cena is not there. While Bryan might get the majority of the audience reaction, both Cena and Punk are backstage players now. We all know Cena doesn't need to win a title anymore to be relevant.

Also, people need to see that ROH is not as big as it seems. ROH reaches way less people than TNA. ROH is only around on the east coast, anybody west of Texas doesn't get ROH. Also TNA is available on a national television area, whereas ROH is available only on local stations. So Punk will not go back to ROH and neither will Bryan unless Sinclair can get ROH in all 50 states. That might not happen for quite awhile. Right now ROH is available in one market in CA, and that's Fresno. Nothing in San Fran, LA, or San Diego. Until they can get the LA market, I'm sorry ROH can not be considered a legitimate threat to WWE, or even TNA for that matter.

ROH TV: http://www.rohwrestling.com/content/ROHTVListings

ROH may be that level now, but if CM Punk shows up with a million or two to invest and says I'll wrestle for 2 years here on my schedule, book the shows and I can get x,y & z name from WWE and TNA to come with me suddenly those other markets open up. After the 2 years he becomes the CEO type and Bryan comes in to take his place if he is still being dicked about in WWE...

Sinclair or whoever can take a bit more risk as well and suddenly ROH is bigger... I'm not saying a juggernaut overnight - but a viable alternative...

Remember Punk has been around the WWE in all the run up to the network stuff, he probably knows a lot now about platforms and how to set stuff up.

If WWE is going to write Punk off for an angle they put it on their website. This is not on WWE's site, so this is not a work. I hate to say it, it sounds true.

Guess we will find out Monday night with how they play this news. If HHH gloats that Punk is gone then it's a work if they don't mention Punks name then this could be real, which I doubt since we are on the Road to Wrestlemania.

This could be big. As a fan of the WWE and of Punk I want to believe that this is a work. It has been done once and with the added realism and Authority story it could be done again. Punk has been pushed to the side for a while now and there is no use having him on the sidelines when you could use him for something big. That said? If this isn't a work and Punk has given up? Big things could go down. In recent interviews Punk has mentioned the schedule and not being as gung-ho about the business as he once was. There's no reason why ROH wouldn't take him in and if they did? They won't be anywhere close to going head to head with TNA or WWE but they do have another reason for people to tune in and a connection to some even bigger names. It was timed impeccably either way though when you consider everything that went on at the Rumble. Either way I'm buckled in and ready for the ride!

I don't know whether to jump for joy or shit a brick over this news. I'm a so-so fan of Punk. I cheer for him mainly because he's a fellow native of Chi-town, he's also pretty damn good in the ring. I wasn't too keen on his twitter feuds, or how he used "kill yourself" in an argument with a fan right before suggesting that Abraham Washington was foolish in making a joke about the Kobe Bryant rape scandal. Big Show made fun of that same rape scandal in a battle rap against John Cena and nothing was ever said. Plus Punk clobbered that guy who he mistakenly assumed had pushed his head slightly, and he also shouted down a Cena fan with "YOU HAVE A VAGINA!! YOU HAVE A VAGINA!! NICE FAUX-HAWK YOU HOMO!!".

[YOUTUBE]NPV9xjq6IcA[/YOUTUBE]

So yeah, whatever floats your boat, but I'm not amused by some of his more immature antics. I'll get by without him on the card, but he will be missed. I was right there with everyone else when he cut that promo that shook the foundation of the WWE.

I see a silver lining in all this, now apparently Daniel Bryan is the only guy who can draw in the same way as CM Punk. As was reported, Daniel Bryan is apparently getting some pretty high spots to fill the void. If it's all a work, it seems like it would have all been a knee-jerk reaction to the Royal Rumble. I highly doubt the groans of boredom were planned.

This sucks if its true. Punk and Bryan are my favorite guys in WWE (when Jericho isn't around). I can see both sides of it being a work or being legitimate. It could be a work because its obviously happened before. It could be legit because he finally reached the boiling point of seeing part timers walk in every year now and get the main event of Wrestlemania.

The way I see it is if its legit and he really is done with WWE then I think the reason is that he believes the only way to main event Wrestlemania is to become a part timer himself. I have always feared this would happen where guys would see part timers come in and repeatedly get the main events of Wrestlemania and think "why should I have to bust my ass all year when I can just come in for a few shows a year and get all the top spots like all the other part timers do".

The product will suffer if I'm right and this becomes a new trend in WWE when guys make it to the main event level for a couple years and things don't go the way they want it to. Not everybody considers WWE their whole life and has absolute loyalty to the company like John Cena does.

Good for him.

Quite honestly, if this is all legit, I think he has every right to be pissed off. There is literally no room for advancement in WWE if they keep going the way they are going. Batista is not helping any young and upcoming stars, he is there for cash and cash only. The Rock was barely there and got a title run.

So many people have said it but this is so reminiscent of WCW in its later years. The older guys just won't get out the way, and the superstars which the fans want to see main event their PPVs are constantly passed over.

If there's one silver lining out of this situation, it's that Daniel Bryan may finally get pushed the way he deserves to, simply to appease the audience. As Punk leaving coupled with Bryan getting buried might be too much for fans to take.

It seem more likely to be a work. As people have been saying his contract is up in the summer not now so by walking out opens him self up to breach of contract which would be costly to punk and punk isn't stupid and would know this .

I think this is all a work and may even play into the DB storyline. I just cant see Punk walking out opening himself up to breach of contract with only a couple months left on his contract its just stupid

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back