• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

*OFFICIAL* CM Punk/John Cena Thread - Keep It All In Here!

Which do you find more entertaining?

• Punk and the text mystery

• Cena and the title chase

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't see it becoming a weekly thing, maybe they'll do something where Cena acts like he's gonna throw it and sometimes he does and sometimes he just throws it on the floor.. If he throws it at WM28, its coming back for sure, numerous times..

now, i hate it when people come on here and say "John Cena is going to become the next Rock" and "Orton is the next Austin", but quite a few times poeple built both of them, and their feud over 2008/2009, and compared them and their feud to that of Rock and Austin, saying they would become the nearest thing to those two. And I didn't see it. And now on Smackdown, Orton appears to have gone in what people consider the 'Cena' pattern i.e. one sequence of the exact same moves, finisher gets countered, then hits it out of nowhere. So now I really don't see it.

But now, with CM Punk, I sorta do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're the new Rock and Austin. BUT they are two high profile faces (arguably the two most over people in WWE, and please, no-one argue Cena, because I CBA with that argument on my birthday) who have had a set of VERY good, if not OUTSTANDING matches, whilst not making either guy look weak. And there's something about their relationship that's making me think that their relationship/rivalry is similar with Rock/Austin (not the same, but similarities are there), and if it develops further down the line, could be the BIG rivalry of this generation, just as Rock/Austin was THE rivalry of around 1998-2001 i.e. Attitude Era, how bret/HBK was THE rivalry before that, and how Hogan/Warrior, Hogan/Savage, and Hogan/Andre were THE rivalries. It's early days, but their matches have been the best three/four matches (in my opinion, definitely some of the best matches) this year, if not beyond, and they have great chemistry on the stick. And their matches have had some amazing crowd reactions (not just in Chicago).

So, the question is...

Does anyone agree with me?

If not, why not?

I agree. I don't think it's as epic yet, but I still think one of them will join the new corporation. If anyone rules out Punk because of his Voice of the voiceless persona...remember Austin lived to tick off McMahon but in order to regain the WWE title he joined forces with his hated nemesis (Ironically I see this happening again where Cena or Punk needs the wwe title so badly their willing to go back on their values in order to regain it) Then that is what this feud needs to go to the next level. Right now it's really been I respect you but you have what I want. It needs a certain level of animosity and right now there seems to be next to none between Punk and Cena

I find Orton boring and bland and no mic skills and very predictable and anyone comparing this guy to steve austin needs to be put in their place. Cena and Rock have similarities with regards to signaturne moves and both being lablled as entertainers rather than great wrestlers, different to the likes of HBK/Edge etc...but this feud could possibly lead into what the steve austin/rock feud was. The Cena/Orton feud sucked all the way through because Orton is just so boring at cutting decent promo's and lac of mic skills, Cena deserves allot more credit for his GREAT mic skills than what h gets IMO. The Cena/orton feud sucked. However Cena and Punk are starting to remind of what it was like with The Rock and Austin, because cm punk can play austins part very well and Cena's recent yankee approach to his character reminds of the rocks egomaniac personality etc....Later down the line if this keeps In have a feeling it has the potential to be similar and also the feud of this generation so to speak. So yes I agree with.

Comparing Orton to Austin is a slap in the face to Austin.

As for Cena & Punk being the big two of this generation, it's way too early to tell. You have to take into account that they haven't really had much bad blood. Punk has expressed his problem with Cena, but it seems that Cena just looks at him like another opponent. Cena hasn't really made Punk seem like that guy. In my opinion, they wiped everything they did with Cena & Orton when they hugged not once, but twice(just saying, how do you hug a guy who punted your old man in the skull?). Also, I see your point with Orton. He's Smackdown's! Cena. He'll get beaten down, and hit "Ohmaigod! An RKO out of nowhere! My goodness!!" As for the Punk/Cena matches, if you watch their matches(moreso the Sumerslam match), and I know I will catch heat for this, but Punk did carry Cena. Therefore, I don't feel that their matches have been outstanding, but pretty damn good nonetheless. Storyline wise, this has made me kinda like RAW again. Like I said, too early to tell.

Also, why is it that nowadays, every little thing has to be the next________________? Cena & Punk aren't the next Austin/Rock, or Hogan/Andre. They're the first Cena & Punk.

but it seems that Cena just looks at him like another opponent. Cena hasn't really made Punk seem like that guy.

I really beg to differ. I may be new to this whole forum discussion gig but if I am not mistaken, Cena this monday night on raw said himself that Punk is the only person that could ride with him in the WWE. Obviously in other threads we know that this comment could be a beginning of Cena's character revolving into more of a egotistical character linking into Punks comments about the Yankees. Cena is giving us without a doubt some of the best matches of his entire career with CM punk, isnt that enough to make Punk seem like THE guy ? (other great matches with the likes of HBK etc) Cena said that he would rather wrestle punk than the rock (the supposed wrestlemania dream match) isn't that enough to make Punk seem like the guy and most importantly make CM Punk more important to Cena than The Rock.

Comparing Orton to Austin is a slap in the face to Austin.

As for Cena & Punk being the big two of this generation, it's way too early to tell. You have to take into account that they haven't really had much bad blood. Punk has expressed his problem with Cena, but it seems that Cena just looks at him like another opponent. Cena hasn't really made Punk seem like that guy. In my opinion, they wiped everything they did with Cena & Orton when they hugged not once, but twice(just saying, how do you hug a guy who punted your old man in the skull?). Also, I see your point with Orton. He's Smackdown's! Cena. He'll get beaten down, and hit "Ohmaigod! An RKO out of nowhere! My goodness!!" As for the Punk/Cena matches, if you watch their matches(moreso the Sumerslam match), and I know I will catch heat for this, but Punk did carry Cena. Therefore, I don't feel that their matches have been outstanding, but pretty damn good nonetheless. Storyline wise, this has made me kinda like RAW again. Like I said, too early to tell.

Also, why is it that nowadays, every little thing has to be the next________________? Cena & Punk aren't the next Austin/Rock, or Hogan/Andre. They're the first Cena & Punk.

That last bit is kinda what I tried to get at. They could be this gen's version of those you mentioned. Not the next Rock and Austin, but they could be the two who in ten years people may say 'Do you remember when CM Punk and Cena had that awesome feud that dominated WWE?' I was more asking if they could have that affect. I think this could be the beginning of that. Because Hogan and Andre were the first Hogan and Andre, Rock and Austin were the first Rock and Austin; I want Cena and Punk to be looked back on as the first Cena and Punk in the same way that those before them have been looked back as. I think they have that potential. But like you (and I too, actually) said, early days, VERY early days.

Oh, and I wouldn't give you heat for saying Punk carried Cena, but I'd argue it. Cena put in just as many miles as Punk IMO, but hey, we all have opinions. .

I find it really difficult to compare either of these 2 to others. Even if you try to compare Cena's over the top face status, the fact "super-cena" always comes out on top, and his overwhelming appeal to kids, to someone like Hogan of the 80s and early 90s (which IMO is the only person you can compare him to) you still miss out on the fact that the rest of the wrestling fanbase has grown up. Hogan never had to deal with "Hogan sucks" chants even when he was going up against someone like Warrior when the crowd was as close as possible to split.

For me Punk is almost impossible to compare to anyone else as well. It's even unfair to compare his anti-authority character to Austin because that same character has been done so many times before and since Stone Cold. Also Punk is so much better in his ability to tell a story in the ring than Austin. And while Punks legendary "shoot" promo was phenomenal, and I do like him on the mic, he is no Stone Cold on the stick. I feel like in recent weeks he's spent too much effort trying to insult people and make jokes. He does have the capability to entrance the viewers in what he's saying, almost like Jake Roberts back in his prime, and I'd like to see his delivery more as it was when he was leading the Nexus and was talking like a cult leader. I'd like for him to talk to his fans like they are his cult instead of wasting time calling Nash "Big Lazy" and making Just for Men cracks at him. Entertaining? Yes. But if i just read that comment without knowing who said it I'd have guessed it came from Cena.

That said I think these guys are the two best in the business right now by a wide margin and they really bring the best out of each other. I think Cena honestly does see Punk as his equal, or even superior, in the ring and it makes him up his game when they work together. MiTB, SS, and this past Monday on Raw were all really, really good matches. The Raw match was one of the best on that program that I have seen in a while. And before you try to take points off because the ending was predictable remember that they don't control the ending... just the story that lead up to it. And i think they did a great job.

I'll be interested in watching them feud with others after working with each other. It's easy to work classics when you're working with one of the other top people in the industry. If Punk can pull a gem out of Nash that will be even more of an achievement to me. Also curious to see if Cena keeps up the high level he worked at with Punk in his match with ADR.

I doubt it. It seems as if they were doing it for the fans. Even if they do this on tv, I doubt this will end whatever rivalry they had. They both want to be the best, so im sure if they ever lock up again, it will be for that same reason.

It's my belief that the feud (as it were) has been either ended or at least temporarily suspended. Throughout this so-called feud, there has actually been a great deal of mutual respect between these two. The primary feuding point was the championship. What with Cena and Del Rio now contesting over the championship and Punk now embroiled in a several direction feud with Triple H, Nash (possibly not him anymore now he's been "fired"), R-Truth and The Miz, Punk doesn't have time to concentrate on trying to win the title back.

It's my opinion that we may see a simple business alliance between these two. I'd say that Punk is still a Tweener, but with face leanings and more than likely to be a face by default in any time where there is a question of sides. That doesn't mean he's going to stop being the same loud-mouth prick that we all know and love/despise, but he's more likely to do battle with heels and work alongside faces at this time.

My interpretation is that he's not a heel per se. But he does have a very outspoken manner and absolutely no fear of repercussions...and of course, is very artful in airing his perceived grievances. I seem to recall SCSA was rather similar in his approach when he was a face.

I think their feud should be over. It was a great feud but its time to move on. Their last two matches together were good, but they didn't come close to MITB.

Orton/Cena was great too, but they dragged it out. Thats why some fans got tired of it. Same thing will happen to Cena/Punk. They are not topping the build up and hype of MITB.

And people need to stop comparing everybody to Rock and Austin. Punk and Cena are not even close to their level, especially Punk. WWE and wrestling in general isn't as popular like it was during that Era.

I dont think the WWE will ever be as popular to have another Rock and Austin. Attitude Era was a fad, people need to move on. Those 18-25 years old are now in their mid to late 30's and dont care about wrestling anymore. A lot of the current 18-25 years old are now into new fads like UFC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back