• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CM Punk and The Rock - KEEP IT ALL IN HERE!

rockyrocky11

Occasional Pre-Show
Ok look at my username, I'm a rock fan and am not trying to defend everything he does. But while I was watching this interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJfcEFIsIbU&feature=related when the reporter (who is one of the worst reporters I've ever seen says that she used to watch the Rock and Triple H, Punk puts his thumb down and makes a fart noise.

I'm just wondering how Punk has no respect for what these 2 guys did for wrestling in the attitude era, and wrestling in general. Rock was the second biggest name at the peak of wrestling, so why not give him the respect he has earned. If punk doesn't understand the drawing power and more importantly crowd control the rock gets he's crazy.

When a reporter who obviously knows nothing about wrestling knows exactly who the Rock is that should show just how famous he has become. She didn't even know who Punk was.

So my question, is it just jealousy, or are there other reasons why Punk hates the Rock?

(go to 0:45 if you just want to see the part I'm talking about)

It's simple. CM Punk has no problems (as far as I know at least) with movie star Rock, he has a problem with phony "I will never leave" Rock.

CM Punk's issue is related to the hype regarding his return, the time given to a guy who doesn't even qualify as a part timer means that there is less programming time for a WWE wrestler that is there day in and day out, and that the Rock can walk right in and grab a Wrestlemania main event spot from someone who is current. For CM Punk, it's about the wrestlers you have, not the wrestlers you used to have. Time given to the Rock is time unavailable for someone else who in Punk's mind, is more deserving because of the work put in.

If Dwayne Johnson had returned to the WWE as a full time wrestler, showing up to the arenas, wrestling just like everyone else, rather than appearing only via satellite, I don't think Punk would have a problem with him.

CM Punk said:
You know, the thing about that is, he’s not around. It doesn’t help morale when the guy goes right from his limo to the dressing room to the dressing room to the ring. He’s very bourgeois Hollywood.

CM Punk said:
He came back, he did WWE Raw after that. He said he was never gonna leave. And the next time we saw him is a month later. Yeah, it does bother me. A little hello would have been nice. He could have run by with his own entourage.

Essentially, the Rock isn't helping out anyone else, he isn't trying to be one of the boys again, he is in it just for himself.

If he really does hate him, which I'm not sold on it could be for the same reasons I don't like him. The Rock (character) is pompous, yet not a heel. That doesn't make sense to me. I don't like people who are snobs in real life. I don't like it when someone thinks they're too cool to remember your name. This kind of behavior is something you boo, but people cheer him. The Rock is that guy in school who makes himself look better by putting down others and that's just doesn't seem cool to me. And it doesn't seem cool to me that the WWE universe accepts this as "Babyface" behavior. Dwayne Johnson as a person is another story. I've heard he acts aloof backstage and comes off as very Hollywood. People who came up with him in the attitude era love him, but guys who came later don't seem to share that opinion. Punk is a bit of a smart ass, but he seems pretty down to earth. I can see how someone who's down to earth and someone who's living on Planet Hollywood wouldn't get along.

So wouldn't that make Punk a hypocrite for wanting a match against austin??

No. Because Austin is still around in his own way. Steve Austin has routinely made appearances on Raw throughout the years, still associates himself with the WWE, and did you miss the whole Tough Enough hosting gig he had? Even as an inactive wrestler, Steve Austin is still involved with the WWE, helping to train, etc. He didn't disassociate himself like Dwayne Johnson did. Unlike the Rock, Steve Austin still likes to hang around the WWE and helps out where he can. That's the key difference.

This is weird to me. The Dwayne Johnson that Chris Jericho describes in his book is a great guy. Great in the locker room, willing to put people over, friendly, nice, all that. But the Dwayne we hear about now is not those things. So I wonder what's going on. Maybe Hollywood changed him. He is after all the guy that came to Raw for a birthday party where the whole episode consisted of The Rock being told how great he is.

Are you basing your whole "Rock doesn't interact with anyone backstage" thing based on Punk or are there multiple reports??

Remember when the Rock inducted his father into the Hall of Fame? That's when the reports of the Rock being "Hollywood" to the boys backstage first started. It is possible that Punk felt "Dwayne" was behaving this way when he returned to RAW. If you're asking for theories as to why he may not like him, based on what's been said I think this could be a factor. And like I said, IF there is really beef and this isn't just Punk playing a character.

I would venture to say that IF CM PUNK really hates the ROCK, it would be because the ROCK isn't a wrestler anymore. And now he comes back probably to a monster paychecks, talks shit about never leaving WWE, and wrestles main event's stealing the main event from a possible CM PUNK spot.
And CM PUNK probably feel's ripped off because he wrestles 4-5 days a week, and get's pushes aside to what PUNK just see's as a actor, not a wrestler.

I hope it's not because the Rock "Stole his spot at Wrestlemania" considering that isn't his spot. That spot is reserved for the match that can make the most money. It's hard to imagine a match that would make more money than Rock vs Cena. I know Punk the character talks about stealing spots, but I hope Punk the man knows how this business really works.

His issue has always been with the Rock saying he was back and would never leave, then disappearing for months at a time. CM Punk isn't an idiot. He knows the Rock helped pave the way to make WWE Wrestlers household names, and I'm sure he respected what he did in the past. But that was then, this is now. The Rock now (apparently showing up,not talking to anyone, doing his 6 minute segment, and leaving) is not the same as The Rock then (willing to put people over, willing to mentor younger wrestlers, etc.).

Probably because he can see right through that phony Dwayne Johnson. Punk knows that Dwayne isn't going to stay after Wrestlemania. He's doing it for publicity not for his "love" (and I use that word very loosely) of wrestling. Dwayne doesn't and hasn't cared for wrestling or any of us fans in a long long time. It's obvious. Dwayne is a hack plain and simple. I can't wait for John Cena to pin him in his hometown.

The Rock is part of the problem, not the solution.

I see where CM Punk is coming from if this is legit. The WWE should be about creating new stars, not relying on old stars, to help sell the product. If you recall last year's WrestleMania, the big selling point to that was the involvement of four Attitude Era wrestlers: The Rock, Steve Austin, Triple H and the Undertaker, all of whom are part-timers. I know those guys draw money, but the WWE needs to think about the future. The Miz was the WWE Champion at that time and he was overshadowed due to the Rock's rivalry with John Cena. The match should've been built around the Miz being the next possible face of the WWE against Cena, the current face of the WWE. Sure, if you try to compare the Miz to the Rock in terms of starpower, than it's a no brainer. But it's not good for business in the long run.

The Rock's involvement with the WWE right now is only a temporary fix. It's like putting a band-aid on a really nasty wound. When the Rock leaves again (and he will), the WWE will still have the same problems as it did before. Unless the Rock puts Cena over at WrestleMania, there's no real payoff to the feud. I think that's what Punk means regarding the Rock.

First off, Punk is ALWAYS working people. Even when he's not on camera, he works, he lives his character.

Second, Punk probably hates Dwayne for the same reason a lot of people do. Dwayne tried to play football, failed, tried wrestling, succeeded, left after less than a decade, went to do movies, then comes back and acts like he's awesome with the same old schtick like he's Hulk Hogan in 2003 because he knows people will eat it up. Dwayne might act "hollywood" around the boys too, so that's a reason. Punk probably feels betrayed by Dwayne since Punk put his heart and soul into the business and wasn't given the fast track like Dwayne was. Punk also probably hates Dwayne's movies and doesn't think Dwayne is as big of a star as Dwayne thinks he is.

Lots of reasons to hate Dwayne, especially if you are incredibly passionate about something and feel like Dwayne is a phony. Punk, if nothing else, is 100% real, I'm not sure he feels Dwayne is the same way.

Also the stuff about Rock being a wasted spot is bullshit. you use old stars to bring more eyes to your current product and then that catipults the new guys. People are going to watch Mania for Rock and see the incredibly talented young stars of today like Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, John Cena, Dolph Ziggler, etc. That's how it works. This isn't baseball where if a guy is too old, you kick him off the team and put someone in who will have better numbers. This is marketing, you get as many eyeballs on your product as possible.

One thing I want you guys to consider, as much as Rock helped the attitude era, how much did he hurt the business by not staying? No one sees Rock in hollywood and thinks "wow, wrestlers are really talented". Rock hadn't even hit his statistical peak (30-40) for a wrestler. He was still very fit and at that moment reaching his peak as far as working an audience as well.

I've come to realize that WWE is embracing the "realism" of Punk's character, and spreading that into other mediums like Facebook, Twitter, and "shoot" promos. Was the "shoot" last year real...? That's up for debate, and honestly I don't really care, but I'm at the point now where everything Superstars say on TV, through Twitter, and in interviews is just an extension of their character. What trips most people up, is that Punk plays the "realistic" angry, anti-establishment guy so well! He's playing off our very real attitudes towards the WWE, and turning our frustrations with management, into his character's frustrations for management. It's actually quite brilliant.

So why does Punk hate the Rock? I'd go out on a limb and say that Phil Brooks, the guy behind the character, really has no issues with the Rock. His character, CM Punk, "hates" the Rock because he's a has-been SUperstar that came back for a big payday and in the meantime, has stolen spots away from guys like himself, Randy Orton, and other deserving main event level talents. Punk has to look at the Rock that way, because if he greeted him with arms open and a big smile on his face, it would go completely against his character. IRL, does Punk feel slighted because Cena/Rock get to main event WrestleMania while he, the WWE Champion, does not? I highly doubt it, because Punk is a guy that truly understands the business. He's a guy that "gets it" and understands that Rock brings in millions of dollars, millions of PPV buys, and millions of t-shirts with his catchphrase on the back.

Maybe one day Punk will be THAT over, and THAT useful to the company. I love him, I think he's great, and as a Chicagoan I want him to surpass ever the Rock in greatness... but he's not there yet. He may well never actually be THERE. And I think he gets that, even though he still wants to change wrestling and "make it fun again". THere's a lot of reality in Punk's character, but at the end of the day he's a really intelligent guy with a mind for the business, who understands what is truly best for the company and for the fans. He may feel slighted by not getting the main event, who knows! But even he can't deny the fans want to see the Rock/Cena dream match go down...

Many people have hit the nail right on the head. Punk hates Dwayne because the simple fact of the matter is that yes Dwayne did leave. He left to fulfill his Hollywood dream because he had done everything WWE had to offer. But the reason that Punk hates Dwayne is because Dwayne came back after 7 long years and was immedietly thrust into the main event at WM. Yes it was good business but that doesnt make it fair in Punks eyes to all the other superstars that continually work their asses off day in and day out. I think Punks main problem is that Dwayne doesnt try to mingle. He doesnt stop to give tips to ppl and it could be because he has developed this over sized ego. Do you all remember when someone called him dwayne the rock johnson out on the street he told them it was just dwayne. He wanted nothing to do with WWE. It boils down to the fact that rocky doesnt help up and coming stars anymore. Im a rock fan to ive always liked the rock and was estatic when he returned. But it could be his large hollywood sized ego that's pissing punk off.

I'm basically just here to echo what most everyone else is saying.

Punk worked his ass off in backyard organizations, the indies, then decent sized promotions then worked his way up once he got to WWE. Wrestling is Punk's dream and he is living it, he cares about it.

Now Rock has been away 8sh years. When Rock left, Punk was still working for 2 or 3 promotions at a time on the indy scene. He worked and worked to get where he is in those 8 years. During that time Rock was off making movies, nothing wrong with that, but cut to now and Rock gets to waltz in and take back his spot as top dog. I wouldn't be happy if I was Punk either.

And like everyone else has said he probably wouldn't have an issue with it if he was doing the full schedule, was at the arena almost day in and day out. I don't even think he would have an issue if he planned to bolt again after Mania if he would just return to the full schedule for those few months

Cry More Punk sure loves to whine alot. He can cry all he wants, but he isnt main eventing mania because he hasnt reached Cena's level(yet) and will NEVER reach Rocks level.

Once he understands that he can move on. Maybe next year punk. Your still great, but Rock will ALWAYS outdraw you any day of the week.

I dont think they cheer the rock all because they like him. I think its just cheer for the sake of the long missed Attitude Era that he was a part of. People dont miss the Rock. they miss the edgy on the edge of your seat promos and action. I used to be a huge Rock mark but he comes back with the same old catchphrases, its boring and i hate them wasting 10 minutes of raw about his movie career. He said it plain and simple he left wrestling to find success somewhere else. I definately understand Punks disliking of him. You have guys who work their tails off to get to the big E and get pushed aside. if you remember back to what Hogan did to the Rock at Wrestlemania, the Rock is doing the same thing. John Cena may have a stale gimick but that dude is there day in and day out doing make a wish grants and still appearing on live tv. and that is my 2 cents on Hollywood Dwayne Johnson

I think a few people have hit the nail on the head. I think Punk does respect The Rock for what he's done for wrestling, but he dislikes the way that The Rock has blown smoke up the people's collective ass with promises that he's never going away again. On top of that, I remember reading that The Rock has allegedly just ducked out whenever his on camera Raw apperances have been made rather than hanging out with the guys in the back or getting to know most of this new roster that he's never worked with or known during the days when he was wrestling.

For the most part, The Rock has almost entirely severed his relationship with the WWE and pro wrestling in general up until 2011. Sure, he did induct his father & grandfather into the WWE Hall of Fame, but that was under very specific circumstances. I remember reading interviews from several years back in which The Rock did purposely do anything to avoid talking about his wrestling past out of concern that it might damage his movie career. I can't say that I disagree with Rock's point of view, at least not entirely, as wrestling is definitely seen as a low brow form of entertainment in the eyes of many within the mainstream media.

Personally, I can't really be angry with The Rock for the choices he made. By the time he left the WWE, he'd already accomplished everything that could be done. There was nothing left for him really and if he'd been used mainly as a very high profile means of helping to put over younger stars, then people would've no doubt complained about him being misused or too talented for such a role. He saw an opportunity to make even more money and to do it within a much safer environment.

In steve austins recent dvd cm punk explains why he respects, and is friends with austin even thought they are clearly from opposite spectrums. He explains that at the RAW 15th anniversary show, he saw Hulk Hogan in the back whom he was a pretty big fan of (obviously). He walked over to hogan, who was walking down the hallway, extended his hand, and introduced himself. Hogan kept walking, completly shunning Punk. And right after that from behind him off in the distance, steve austin says a smartass comment to punk making fun of his straight edgedness. Punk then proceeds over to Austin extends his hand, and introduces himself to austin. Austin ignores the handshake, and gives Punk a hug. That's the kind of guy austin is, not putting himself over anyone else. And that's the kind of guy hogan is, putting himself over others. Maybe that's how the Rock is too. Just speculation, but if I were a wrestler and the rock or anyone else acted that way towards me, I probably wouldn't care for him either.

i bet if the Rock never left for those 8 years I bet everyone on here would be saying were sick of The Rock why does the WWE keep shoveing him down our thoarts, or we want someone new in the main event

Wouldn't you be mad if you had a job and became the head guy, at least 1 of the 2, and then a guy who hasn't worked at the company or been around the company in years shows up and automatically takes your spot which in turn probably takes money out of your pocket? I know I would.

His problem with HHH is the same as everyone elses problem. He became the top guy pretty much solely based on banging Stephanie. You can tell he has disgust for him in the ROH shoot interview with Punk and Samoa Joe.

I don't think for a second that Phil Brooks hates The Rock. Though Rocky has had some backstage heat for a while now. Far more likely is the fact that he as Punk said "goes from limo to dressing room and dressing room to ringside" IF that statement is true then of course he's not well liked. IF he's acting like the whole roster right now is beneath him then he's bought into his own character far too much and needs a sharp reality check.

SCSA is still around - he hosted tough enough and is still involved with WWE as often as he can be. The Rock sauntered in after seven years of pretending he was never a wrestler and then acted like he was only in it for the pay cheque. Both characters are stale as month old bread now anyway and honestly The Rock's promos bore me. It's one of the rare occasions where I'm begging for Cena to talk so we don't have to listen to 10 year old catchphrases being said with all the passion of a tomato.

I'm not really 'in the know' for what's going on with behind the scenes stuff but perhaps CM Punk hates The Rock because it's part of a storyline? I mean CM Punk really is nothing in the history of wrestling yet because he wrestles in an era full of nobodies who'll never be anywhere near as big as The Rock (unless guys like The Rock come back and work programs with these guys). Perhaps Punk is trying to start a rivalry out of nothing. Chris Jericho isn't the only wrestler to say The Rock was a down to earth guy who was a leader backstage. The Rock has been successful in Hollywood now for almost a decade after becoming one of the most important wrestlers in the history of wrestling. And he did it in the shortest period of time. Now he's coming back and that pisses CM Punk off? CM Punk can only dream of everything he'll never become because of the shitty era he became a star by default in. Rock coming back now would be like if The Beatles got back together and it pissed off Johnny Rotten. Who would Johnny Rotten be to be against that? An idiot with no taste in music is who he'd be. CM Punk should be grateful for The Rock to even want to work with him. Punk is a nobody compared to the guys The Rock has worked with in the past. One poster here brought up the Hogan/Punk incident. Hogan walked right by Punk not because he was snubbing him, but in 2007 how would Hogan even know to differentiate the guy from a backstage roadie? I mean Punk doesn't even look like a wrestler!

Bottom line: Gorgeous George became who he was battling legends like Lou Thez, Buddy Rogers became who he was battling Gorgeous George, Bruno Sammartino became who he was battling Buddy Rogers, Superstar Billy Graham became who he was battling Bruno Sammartino, Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage became who they were battling Bruno and Andre (and each other, much like Rock and Austin), Hitman and Michaels became who they were battling guys like Savage and Flair (and each other). Stone Cold and Rock became who they were battling Hitman and Michaels. Triple H and Kurt Angle became who they were battling Stone Cold and The Rock. John Cena and Chris Jericho became who they were battling all the other guys but didn't get enough chance facing the older era of legends. They faced off with legends in the making, not guys who had become legends yet. The transitional gap between eras wasn't there anymore and guys like Cena and Jericho did not reach the levels they needed to. Imagine if Cena had fought Hogan or Stone Cold or if Jericho fought Savage and Hogan. Still, Cena and Jericho have the 'it' factor although they'll never be on The Rock's level. Problem is guys like CM Punk and The Miz are defining themselves in feuds with Cena and Jericho. Cena and Jericho aren't really that old and legendary. Yet. CM Punk has no chance to be a true torch bearer and he has no chance of passing on main event credibility when it's his time to move on. He'll be like Triple H, his time will never be up because he never could reach that level The Rock and Stone Cold reached so quickly.

CM Punk should be grateful The Rock is helping out. Without The Rock around there would be no causal fan giving a shit. Enticing casual fans and turning them into permanent fans is the basis of business. So if Punk is against The Rock in real life then he's an idiot. The Rock participating in wrestling again is the best thing that could happen to his career and the business he tries to make money 365 days a year.

Best Rock PG era quote i've ever heard
'CM Punk doesn't smoke, doesn't drink, and sits down when he goes peepee'

Probably because he can see right through that phony Dwayne Johnson. Punk knows that Dwayne isn't going to stay after Wrestlemania. He's doing it for publicity not for his "love" (and I use that word very loosely) of wrestling. Dwayne doesn't and hasn't cared for wrestling or any of us fans in a long long time. It's obvious. Dwayne is a hack plain and simple. I can't wait for John Cena to pin him in his hometown.

Right. He obviously doesn't care about wrestling anymore. He's only in it for the publicity.

This is why he's been travelling cross country sometimes during movie shoots to appear on RAW, before flying right back to continue his shoot.

This is why he's stated more than once (in mainstream interviews) that he likes watching old Mid South wrestling tapes in his trailer during shoots.

Listen. The guy NEVER had to come back. He's got enough money to last a lifetime. Considering he's shot multiple movies just this year while he's been involved with the WWE again, he doesn't need to get his name back out there because his movie career's dried up. In fact, leaving movie sets to travel to another part of the country just to shoot a segment on RAW, only to fly back immediately after just sounds like a pain in the ass no one would go through unless they wanted to.

There is a very legitimate reason for any professional wrestler to hate the Rock though...

he got out!

Yes, he got out of the business, and doesn't need it anymore. He's got fame, money, and his health. How many wrestlers can say that once their time in the wrestling spotlight is up? Plus, he can actually come back anytime he wants to, and be more over than all of them. It's really hard not to be jealous of a guy like that.

It reminds me of a story from Bret Hart's book. At Davey Boy's funeral, a lot of the old Stampede crew was there, guys he'd rode the van with and been friends with 20 years before. They all shunned him though and he didn't understand why, until someone told him it was because he didn't go broke. He had a good life, and the rest of these guys, who had been his peers, were now working crappy jobs and didn't have much of anything.

That's how I see the Rock hate from the current generation. Not because they don't have anything, but they're jealous because he has so much more... and because he can come back after 7 years and get bigger matches because of who he is, and get louder pops than any of them have ever got. And they realize that no matter how hard they work, they will never be on his level.

I would say jealously as well as not understanding what sports enetrtainment it as opposed to mat wrestling. Punk doesnt understand that WWE is focused on entertainment and ROH is into the mat wrestling. Why can he, other wrestlers, and the fans who constantly hate on WWE for trying to be a little hollywood just tune into that?

The Rock was a huge star, entertained millions, was a star at the WWE's height. He deserves credit. Punk is just being immature. Truth is wrestling is dying and Punk is just a catalyst to its death. Punk'll never be the legend The Rock is so he decided to attack his credibility. Punk is nothing more than a glorified crybaby and you know a baby cant work for what he wants to it hurts him to see guys get to where they are through their labor when he had to bitch and moan in front of everyone to get the push he has now. The "doofus son in law", Be A Star, and all of the other things Punk decided to criticize about WWE never kept The Rock from being a star.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back