Championship Region, Sixth Round: (2) The Rock vs. (12) Brock Lesnar

Who Wins This Matchup?

• The Rock

• Brock Lesnar

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going with the Rock. The ONLY thing Brock has over the Rock is the victory in the ONE singles match they had. The victory loses its luster for a couple reasons. Number one, there was heavy interference throughout the match from Paul Heyman. There was one point where Brock had his hand up ready to tap to the sharpshooter and Heyman got up on the apron distracting the ref. There was another point where he threw Brock a chair that Lesnar used on the Rock, so the victory wasn't exactly clean. Secondly, Brock won the match and the title because The Rock was leaving to make a movie. Rock was gone for 5 months after this match so obviously he wasn't going to be booked to win.

When it comes down to it The Rock is better then Brock in every facet of wrestling. He is a bigger draw, more popular, better as a face, better as a heel, he has had the better career, he has beaten more big names, he has sustained success over a longer period of time both overall and in successive years, he is better in the ring, and he takes a giant diarrhea shit all over Brock when it comes to mic work.

I'd also like to point out that RVD is 1-0 against Steve Austin in singles matches, so if Brock beats Rock because of their Summerslam match does that mean you would also vote RVD over Austin?

I'm voting Lesnar. Vader has been here before in the tournament and failed. Apart from that everyone else remaining is a constant in the final 8 for the most part. Being the 8th year this has run from a kayfabe booking standpoint there's got to be that one guy who makes a surprise run to the finals and potentially win it. This year that man is Brock Lesnar for the sheer fact that it would change things up.

I just don't get all the hate for Lesner. In his prime in the WWE he beat everyone the WWE had to offer including The Rock. Movie or no movie Brock was winning that match. Come on now guys Brock was hot and the title was going to him. Then you have the potential Brock Austin final in this tournament which I really want to see. I would consider voting for The Rock based on the damage Lesner sustained, but frankly I don't think Lesner gets the credit he deserves in any of the sports he competed in. Brock is a freak of nature, and in a one night tournament I don't care how much damage he sustained in the last round. He would win this match.

Both have won multiple titles, King of the Ring, and the Royal Rumble.

For me, it pretty much comes down to this. I don't think Rock would have been a huge as draw as he was if it wasn't for Austin not being there and/or HHH having arguably the greatest year of his career. Still, he was a bigger draw than Brock ever was when he was champion.

If we comparing title reigns, Brock's longest consisted of beating Benoit, Holly, and Undertaker in title matches. Rock's consisted of beating Benoit, HHH, Angle, Undertaker, and Kane.

I'm picking Rocky.

Rocky never won King of the Ring. He won the Survivor Series Deadly Game tournament that was rigged for him to win by the Corporation.

My big problem here is when I think of Brock, I think of him winning. When I think of Rock, I always picture him getting pinned. It probably isn't fair, but Brock just feels like more of a winner to me.

I prefer Brock, too. I have no problem if Rock wins though. Brock's rise in this tournament was amazing regardless of this outcome.

Kayfabe elements are the spice of this tournament. I'm not much of a statistician or a professional art critic, like the old saying goes I know what I like and I really hope that my explanation for liking what I do is barely satisfactory.

If these two guys entered the ring at Wrestlemania XXX, the roof would be blown off the joint mainly in favor of the match itself, but more in favor of The Rock. The Rock may be a part timer, but he's a damn successful part timer who takes the name that made the WWE so much money with him. It's not as if The Rock going Hollywood ever had any kind of negative effect on the WWE, they always had plenty of stars.

Brock is the type of guy who, in spite of the Shakespearean Tragedy that I would likely write if tasked to describe all the ways in which I hate the guy, gets the kind of positive buzz that's unique to him and that's beneficial to the business.

There would be stare-downs, moments of respect between the two and some very extreme spots that would easily light up the crowd with every execution.

I'm a pro-wrestling fan, I'm a finicky beast. Sometimes it makes more money to piss me off than it does to cater to my whims. Just so long as there's a receipt coming along the way.

If this were the final, I would have voted for The Rock. I'm that way, don't eat me. This is The Rock vs Brock Lesnar to determine who makes the big money final of the entire gig. I think that at this point in his career, Brock Lesnar would be the one who the bookers go with to sell the shit out of that final match.

Vote Brock Lesnar, I want to see him in the final more.

The Rock's a bigger star and is almost certainly more talented. The Rock was the highest grossing actor last year and Brock is the biggest draw in UFC history. Indeed, even when they returned in recent years The Rock has proven himself as the bigger draw. Two massive names but Brock should win this simply because of one reason...

Brock Lesnar defeated The Undertaker at Wrestlemaina. Brock did the impossible so until he next loses (perhaps before next years tournament) he beats every man and his dog. Rocky has no chance.

Besides his first match with Cena and beating Austin in a nothing contest; The Rock lost all his big matches. Facing Brock would indeed be a massive match so he does what he does best; loses. Brock end The Streak; one of the biggest achievements in wrestling history.

The conqueror should advance to the final.

Besides his first match with Cena and beating Austin in a nothing contest; The Rock lost all his big matches. Facing Brock would indeed be a massive match so he does what he does best; loses. Brock end The Streak; one of the biggest achievements in wrestling history.

In which case everyone should back FC Augsberg to win all football competitions next season because they beat Bayern Munich and ended their 50 game unbeaten run. Everything else should go out the window.

The Undertaker's streak is the most overrated, ridiculous thing in the history of wrestling. It's a statistical quirk. He won 21 matches, against 18 different wrestlers. Of those 2 have winning records at WrestleMania - Edgev (6-4), and the wrestling luminary that is the Big Bossman (5-1!). Undertaker overwhelmingly fought guys that lose at WrestleMania and the WWE suckered you all in with marketing.

Look there are lots of different reasons people like pro wrestling :

Entertaining characters

Compelling storylines

Exciting technical matches

Charismatic performers

Escapism

The list goes on and on, and in every one of those categories, Rock wipes the floor with Lesnar. There is no legitimate reason to vote for Lesnar.

Every time I point out the WWE lost half its audience with Lesnar on top, someone will invariably say that actually it was cause The Rock left. Well now the chips are down, either The Rock is that good or Brock is that bad; either way the only sensible way to vote is for The Rock.

This is down right laughable at this point.

The Rock is one of the few pro wrestlers in history to say he's BIGGER than the industry. Hogan could say it, so could Austin. Rock has both of them trumped when it comes to being a mainstay in popular culture. Rock's impact in the WWE is so underrated because of being in Austin's shadow. Once he broke out of that shadow, Rock became a star and never looked back.

Brock Lesnar's someone who hasn't worked a full schedule in wrestling in his entire life. He's also never drawn any significant money for the WWE. If anything, Lesnar's main event push hurt the WWE more than helped it. Then again, in 2003, nothing really mattered as the WWE no longer had competition to put on their best product.

The facts are this... Lesnar has ONE major win against a major player in the Undertaker. Rocky has had MANY major wins against the likes of Austin, Undertaker, HHH, Mankind, John Cena, CM Punk and more. Lesnar's beaten most of those guys, but Rock beat them more than a few times, aside from Austin, whom he finally beat at Wrestlemania.

Look, I know we see Lesnar as this killing machine, and in a kayfabe setting, he might very well be, but Rock was box office and if he came back next week on Raw, he'd STILL be box office. Want to talk about someone who didn't move the needle? Lesnar doesn't move the needle. Rock does and still does.

Vote Rocky.

I kinda feel bad now because I pushed so hard for Lesnar to beat Hogan. What this has become is a runaway train of stupidity.

You have to ask one question here. If you removed either one of these men from the history books, which choice would you be ok with never being a wrestler? Which man could we live without? The answer is Brock Lesnar.

Rock is one of the most influential wrestlers ever. His promos, charisma, & moveset created a legacy to which others strive for. The man took a freaking elbow & turned it into one of the most replicated & iconic moves ever. An elbow. Plus lets not forget that the man is a golden ticket when it comes to making your franchise into a multi million dollar empire. You want a movie or show to be successful? Hire The Rock. Brock Lesnar does not have even half of the same appeal. Brock is complete shit on the mic & has no charisma. He would not be someone you could build a foundation upon for a successful entertainment company. Rock has all that and more. Seriously, look at the guy. Rock is just a cool motherfucker.

I really think that we are giving credit to Brock where it may be more deserved to give that credit to Heyman. If Paul wasnt in his corner, Lesnar just wouldnt have as big of an impact. Sure he does not make Brock stronger, but being his mouthpiece solidified Lesnar as a threat. Without Heyman, he would have been just another monster who had the added benefit of legit ability as opposed to being only a scary muscular guy. So when we all think of Brock, we will always think of Heyman.

Rocky doesnt need someone else to make him stand out. Rocky doesnt need a mouthpiece to give him credibility. Stand alone, comparing the two, Rock trumps Lesnar in so many ways its crazy. Its the final rounds in this tournament & time for us to throw out w\l records, bench press #'s and all of that. This is about legacy & impact. The Rock is better than Brock Lesnar. Without Rocky, wrestling would not be the same. The same cannot be said about Brock.

Rocky wins- with the goddamned People's Elbow, because that is how shit really works around here.

I kinda feel bad now because I pushed so hard for Lesnar to beat Hogan. What this has become is a runaway train of stupidity.

You have to ask one question here. If you removed either one of these men from the history books, which choice would you be ok with never being a wrestler? Which man could we live without? The answer is Brock Lesnar.

Rock is one of the most influential wrestlers ever. His promos, charisma, & moveset created a legacy to which others strive for. The man took a freaking elbow & turned it into one of the most replicated & iconic moves ever. An elbow. Plus lets not forget that the man is a golden ticket when it comes to making your franchise into a multi million dollar empire. You want a movie or show to be successful? Hire The Rock. Brock Lesnar does not have even half of the same appeal. Brock is complete shit on the mic & has no charisma. He would not be someone you could build a foundation upon for a successful entertainment company. Rock has all that and more. Seriously, look at the guy. Rock is just a cool motherfucker.

I really think that we are giving credit to Brock where it may be more deserved to give that credit to Heyman. If Paul wasnt in his corner, Lesnar just wouldnt have as big of an impact. Sure he does not make Brock stronger, but being his mouthpiece solidified Lesnar as a threat. Without Heyman, he would have been just another monster who had the added benefit of legit ability as opposed to being only a scary muscular guy. So when we all think of Brock, we will always think of Heyman.

Rocky doesnt need someone else to make him stand out. Rocky doesnt need a mouthpiece to give him credibility. Stand alone, comparing the two, Rock trumps Lesnar in so many ways its crazy. Its the final rounds in this tournament & time for us to throw out w\l records, bench press #'s and all of that. This is about legacy & impact. The Rock is better than Brock Lesnar. Without Rocky, wrestling would not be the same. The same cannot be said about Brock.

Rocky wins- with the goddamned People's Elbow, because that is how shit really works around here.

Lesnar has charisma. There's a reason people flock to see him. He has the aura of a (to quote Samuel L. Jackson) bad motherfucker. Yes Heyman helped but Lesnar got over pretty well in UFC on his own. Rock has swagger, Lesnar has intensity.

As to who would win. Well legit it would be Lesnar. He'd fuck Rock up. in keyfabe terms it would certainly be a brawl. Again Lesnar would just try to fuck The Rock up. But Rock is a lot more calculating so he'd use smarts to outwit Lesnar and attack.

Honestly I still can't decide. I mean Lesnar has beaten Rock before and I don't think Rock ever beat Lesnar. But at the same time Rock is more historically important.

Lesnar has charisma. There's a reason people flock to see him. He has the aura of a (to quote Samuel L. Jackson) bad motherfucker. Yes Heyman helped but Lesnar got over pretty well in UFC on his own. Rock has swagger, Lesnar has intensity.

Charisma =/= intensity. Charisma is charm, likeability, personality. Rock = Charisma.

Lesnar is intense, ill give you that. It is a big deal to wrestling, but man, there is so much more to it. To be successful you have to have a total package quality & while Brock had all the other attributes, Vince knew Lesnar would go nowhere without some vocalization of his talent. Looking scary wasnt going to be enough. He needed Heyman. Paul is the one that really took Lesnar over the top.

Without Heyman, Lesnar just doesnt make the same connection & gain as much hatred. The Rock doesnt need a Paul Heyman & that is a huge difference between the two.

There's some Grade A irrelevant bullshit in this thread and it's mostly coming from those voting Rock.
This match happened when both were in their prime. Brock destroyed Rock. I'm voting accordingly.

There's some Grade A irrelevant bullshit in this thread and it's mostly coming from those voting Rock.
This match happened when both were in their prime. Brock destroyed Rock. I'm voting accordingly.

The Rock has had precisely 9 singles matches since this match took place. It's a stretch to say a man that was on the start of a 9 match in 12 year streak is in his prime.

Indeed, his second singles match after the Lesnar defeat (and almost 7 months later) was a loss to The Hurricane. PRIME.

Why am I reading that Rock was not in his prime at SummerSlam 2002? He was 30 years old and still in great shape. He just beat Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania that year. He beat The Undertaker at No Way Out. He beat both Undertaker and Kurt Angle for the title just a month before SummerSlam. How in the world was Rock not in his prime? That just seems like a lame excuse to dismiss the fact that Lesnar has defeated The Rock. There are plenty of reasons you could give to vote for Rock. I understand that SummerSlam 2002 is a tough obstacle to overcome if you're arguing in favor of Rock but to simply ignore the match claiming Rock was past his prime is just not true. I haven't even decided who I'm voting for yet but I will not ignore SummerSlam 2002 when making my decision. Brock Lesnar beat Rock when Rock was in his prime. Like it or not, that's what happened.

The Rock has had precisely 9 singles matches since this match took place. It's a stretch to say a man that was on the start of a 9 match in 12 year streak is in his prime.

Indeed, his second singles match after the Lesnar defeat (and almost 7 months later) was a loss to The Hurricane. PRIME.

The match with Lesnar was the end of his prime. I think I saw someone cite Edge earlier, that he was never the same after that beating.

Why am I reading that Rock was not in his prime at SummerSlam 2002? He was 30 years old and still in great shape. He just beat Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania that year. He beat The Undertaker at No Way Out. He beat both Undertaker and Kurt Angle for the title just a month before SummerSlam. How in the world was Rock not in his prime? That just seems like a lame excuse to dismiss the fact that Lesnar has defeated The Rock. There are plenty of reasons you could give to vote for Rock. I understand that SummerSlam 2002 is a tough obstacle to overcome if you're arguing in favor of Rock but to simply ignore the match claiming Rock was past his prime is just not true. I haven't even decided who I'm voting for yet but I will not ignore SummerSlam 2002 when making my decision. Brock Lesnar beat Rock when Rock was in his prime. Like it or not, that's what happened.

I agree The Rock was in his prime here but I don't put too much merit into this match for the simple fact this was around the time Rocky made wrestling his part time job and moved into movies and you could argue Lesnar got the title because the 2 buggest stars WWE had weren't gonna be around anymore.

With that said I think Lesnar would have eventually bested Rock whether it was 6 months or a year later, it was obvious Brock was quickly being pushed to the top and Vince did want Austin to put over Rock, even though he may have won so quick because Rock was leaving it was inevitable Brock would beat Rock.

I ultimately went with Rock considering he's part of the Big 3 in wrestling but i agree its foolish to overlook what Lesnar accomplished. He may have won the title as quick as he did due to circumstance but there should be no doubt he would have become the top guy regardless of if Austin/Rock were there or not. Lesnar gets a lot of shit on these forums but he's much more valuable and better than many give him credit for, it seems most either grossly overrate or underrate Lesnar. At the end of the day Brock is more than capable of beating ANYONE in this tournament.

I'm not getting bogged down by some prime argument, because it's boring, but the fact of the matter is this - when The Rock lost to Lesnar, it was right at the end of his time as a full time wrestler. It doesn't matter how old he was, or how physically fit he was, it's about when he was at his peak as a professional wrestler, which basically ended as soon as The Scorpion King was released. A wrestler's prime can only be defined as when they are at the pinnacle of their career. For The Rock, this undoubtedly came much earlier than the Lesnar defeat, by which point it was obvious he had an eye on Hollywood.

I've heard this so many times - the Rock lost the UNDISPUTED WWe title to Brock... how is he not prime?

I hate Brock... but I'd far rather he'd be decimated by SCSA than the Rock (let's face it, Austin eclipses both in every category from logical kayfabe to impact on industry to who an IWC fan should vote for).

Don't make the Rock the patsy, vote Brock!!!

I've heard this so many times - the Rock lost the UNDISPUTED WWe title to Brock... how is he not prime?

In the same way that Hulk Hogan wasn't prime when he lost to the Undertaker in 2002 or Backlund when he lost to Diesel in 1994. Wrestlers on their way out getting the ones that stayed around over. This is as classic a wrestling scenario as they come.

Do you really think if there was even a 5% chance that The Rock would be staying around to be the face of the company that they'd have let him lose like this.

The story of Lesnar's career in a nutshell is this. In 2002, Austin and Rock looked like they were about to leave, Jericho hadn't taken off in the way that they had hoped, and Triple H and Angle, though solid, were not connecting with the audience in nearly the same way their predecessors had.

So the WWE had to build a star, and fast. A slow burner character development getting over like Austin wasn't going to wash as they didn't have the time. An instant hit charisma fiend like The Rock and Hulk Hogan was completely absent, so they did the one other thing that had worked in the last 10 years - the Goldberg push. So Lesnar came along and steamrollered everyone, but note not Triple H or Kurt Angle.

Of course it didn't work. People didn't connect with Lesnar the way they had with Goldberg, but by this point it's too late to do anything about it. If you start to bury Lesnar, you take half the roster that he's decimated with him. So they kept him in the main event, the WWE lost audience hand over fist, and then they did what every single panicking promoter has done since the 1980s. They turned him. They turned him face, and hoped he'd take off. He didn't. So they tried to humanise him by having him tap out to Kurt Angle and generally look beatable. That didn't work either.

So they turned him heel again, and by now the audience was totally disengaged. The WWE started planning for his exit months before the fact, and stuck him with a total non-entity in Hardcore Holly and then with another leaving performer in Goldberg, out of the way. They then spent 2004 trying to find anything that could stick and be popular. Eventually they found Cena and stopped the rot.

I hate Brock... but I'd far rather he'd be decimated by SCSA than the Rock (let's face it, Austin eclipses both in every category from logical kayfabe to impact on industry to who an IWC fan should vote for).

The fact that Brock Lesnar somehow beat Hulk Hogan is evidence for why this is playing with fire.

Lesnar's time on top of the WWE was an unmitigated disaster. They tried to hot shot the audience into caring about him, and it didn't work. Lesnar probably shouldn't have beaten Dusty Rhodes or CM Punk. He certainly shouldn't have beaten Triple H, and beating Hulk Hogan is hands down one of the most ******ed results in the history of this competition. Don't let the madness continue.

Here's something we can discuss on here...

who entertained you more? The Rock or Brock Lesnar?

Who would you build a wrestling company around if you were just starting up and had your pick of Brock Lesnar or The Rock?

Who defeated the hottest WWE wrestler - CM Punk - for the WWE title...at age 40?! How many titles has Brock Lesnar won since returning to the WWE?

My point is this - The Rock is in a league of his own when it comes to his place in wrestling history. He goes up there with the Hogan's, the Austin's, and the Flair's of wrestling because his impact on the industry is felt to this day.

Brock is simply a part-time wrestler billed to be a killing machine, when in fact he needs Paul Heyman's help most of the time to win his matches these days. Not to mention his run as WWE Champion lost as much money as HBK's title runs did.

Let's end this rib that's being played on everyone and get Brock Lesnar far away from this tournament.

Time for my Brock support post, which gives away whom I'm picking for this round. Brock Lesnar beats The Rock right here. Why? 2 things: 1) The usual thing, Brock took out Hulk Hogan. You know, the guy out of everyone who is a shoe-in every year for the championship round, but that stopped as he met The Beast, the ONE in 21-1, and simply A Brock Lesnar Guy. Oh and 2) I like Brock far better than Rocky.

So yup, Brock Lesnar wins and goes on and whatnot(at least for me).

I know Lesnar has beaten Rocky in a major setting during his debut year, but if we're talking about who is the bigger draw, better worker, and who has the more impressive and important career than the argument has to go to Rocky. Lesnar has been one of the best of his generation, no doubt about it, but Rocky was on another level, he's an elite level performer only matched by the likes of Hogan and Austin in terms of importance to the business. As beastly as Lesnar can be, I just can't vote for him over The Rock here.

Look I know that Lesnar has had a Cinderella run in this tournament, however, it's not going to end here.

In their only meaningful confrontation Lesnar kicked the Rock's ass. I know that Lesnar isn't the best draw, talker, or performer, however, he has proven that he can beat the Rock in big match situations. This is a big match situation and history will repeat itself. I've read some posts that suggests that the version of the Rock that Lesnar beat was a past his prime has been Rock. To that I say, Really? You people really will grasp at any straws you possibly can won't you? First itwas that Lesnar beating the Streak didn't matter, then it was Lesnar's win over Hogan didn't matter, Lesnar's defeat of all the biggest names in 2002 doesn't matter, and now it's his title victory over the Rock doesn't matter. WOW!!! Anything to bring Lesnar down.

Don't be fooled people, Lesnar has beat the Rock and he will do it again.

In their only meaningful confrontation Lesnar kicked the Rock's ass.

Have you ever seen the match or is this just one more of your uninformed, uneducated statements? Their match at Summerslam 2002 was highly competitive. There was also HEAVY interference from Paul Heyman and the use of a chair from Brock Lesnar. At one point in the match The Rock had him in a sharpshooter and Brock had his hand up to tap and Heyman got on the apron to distract the ref and prevent that from happening. Kayfabe wise it was far from a dominant victory.

Logic wise it also would not have made sense for the Rock to win that match. He was the current champion and about to go shoot a movie for 5 months. Whether it was his prime or not is irrelevant. When guys go on extended leaves of absence they don't get booked to stay the champion. Let's also not forget that they only fought ONE time one on one. That's hardly a good enough sample size (especially considering all the interference in the match) to say that Brock had his number. RVD is 1-0 against Steve Austin is singles matches. Does that mean you'd vote him over Austin if they met in this tournament?

Just gonna put out this video of SCSA talking about Brock:

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=M_-JOofpVS8[/YOUTUBE]

Now, what exactly does this video provide towards this match? Well, if you listen to Stone Cold, he, a top wrestling name, compliments Brock Lesnar in his strength, power, and all his skills. He even said so that Brock could dominate at anything he puts his time into. Which leads me into this point: SCSA said so himself that Brock never wrestled or fought in UFC with all his health in shape, but yet dominated. Now, what does that say about Brock beating Rock in here. Yes, Rock was in the midst of leaving for his Hollywood career, but Brock wasn't healthy 100% and still defeated Rocky. So, this is a wash and repeat thing for me at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back