Who Wins This Matchup?

• Steve Austin

• The Rock

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is the championship match of the 8th Annual WrestleZone Tournament. It is a standard one on one match, held at the Super Dome in New Orleans, Louisiana. Damage carries over from the fifth round and sixth round matches.

Saints-Superdome.jpg

NOTE ABOUT THE FINAL ROUNDS: The remaining three rounds are a one night only tournament in the style of King of the Ring. All damage from this round carries over to the next round and is based on the margin of victory. If someone wins a close match, they took a severe beating but survived. If someone wins a blowout, they didn't suffer as much damage.

Stone-Cold-Steve-Austin-99.jpg

#1. Steve Austin

Defeated Lou Thesz 74-18
Defeated John Cena 60-33

Total Margin: +83

Vs.

The-Rock-Dumbbells.jpg

#2. The Rock

Defeated Ric Flair 76-30
Defeated Brock Lesnar 54-49

Total Margin: +51

Polls will be open for seven days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Who would I pick between Austin and Rock? Tough question.

In terms of wrestling skills, Austin is better.
In terms of mic skills, Rock is better.
In terms of popularity, Austin is better.
In terms of charisma, Rock is better.
In terms of drawing ability, Austin has some ridiculous records that IMO will never be broken in a thousand years but Rock broke TONS of records (PPV buys, ratings, etc.) so it's a Tie.
Who's got the better theme song? Austin.
Who's got the better entrance? Rock.
Who accomplished more as a main eventer? Austin, definitely. Winning the rumble 3 times, having a lot of great WWF title reigns. Rock's longest WWF title reign was 119 days only.
Who accomplished more as a mid-carder? Rock. Rock's Intercontinental title reign in 97-98 is the longest in the last 23 years.

At the end of the day, it's all just a matter of opinion.

I think that The Rock IS better than "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.

The Rock always did what was right for business, Austin always did what was right for Stone Cold.

Rock agreed to work with Billy Gunn in the summer of 99, something Austin refused to.
Rock agreed to lose to Brock Lesnar, something Austin refused to.
Rock agreed to work with Hulk Hogan, something Austin refused to.

It's a similar scenario with Hulk Hogan in WWF and Ric Flair in NWA.

Hogan only cared about Hulk Hogan. He only did what was best for Hogan.
Flair elevated everyone around him, made everyone around him look good.

Rock made Triple H look like an equal to him in 2000.

Austin was lucky to have Vince McMahon willing to do anything, getting hit with a chair shot, falling off a cage... to make Austin look good.

Can you imagine if Triple H didn't do the whole MSG incident and got that push at King of The Ring 96??

Would Stone Cold Steve Austin be the star he was if his main event push was feuding with a Heel Triple H and not Vince McMahon?? The answer is no.

There were TONS of raw episodes where the whole show was around "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and Vince McMahon, tons of PPVs, heck even the 99 Royal Rumble match was only about these two.

Austin had it easier.

Rock didn't need a Cement Truck, a Monster Truck or a Beer Truck to become popular, all he needed was a mic.

Like I said, Austin was only about making himself look good.

Remember when Austin made the save for WWF and beat up the entire Alliance team? Beat up like 20 guys to make himself look good?

Would've Rock done that? No.

Austin's gimmick was way too easy but it didn't help anyone but Austin.

But even when Austin's gimmick became stale, there was nothing for him to do.

If people felt Rock was stale, he could've easily turned heel because he excelled at it.

Austin's heel turn just didn't work. He was basically doing the same thing he was doing as a face. He didn't change, at all.

When Austin came back and main evented Survivor Series with Triple H, the PPV got the lowest buyrates of the year.

Austin wasn't drawing big numbers anymore when he wasn't feuding with Vince.

When Rock returned in 2001, his segment got a 7.1 rating, a 7.1 at a time RAW was getting 4 ratings.

Listen to what the two head writers of WWF had to say about Rock and Stone Cold, just to show you who's better.

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=wgV_h58Ckp4[/YOUTUBE]

Austin will most likely win this but my vote goes for The Rock.

This isn't a very difficult decision.

The only way Rock could have had a conceivable advantage coming into the match is if he had two decisive victories, which he doesn't have. He had a respectable victory over Flair, but almost got destroyed by Lesnar, which honestly would have happened from a kayfabe point of view too.

Austin on the other hand has had healthy victories over Lou Thesz and John Cena. Not that I'm suggesting that Austin will be extremely healthy coming into this match, but he has a far superior advantage in this regard compared with Rock.

Rock has had his only real potential saving grace blown out of the water, as Austin is pretty much the Pikachu to The Rock's Meowth in terms of win/loss ratio, as Rock's only decisive victory over Austin is at Wrestlemania 19, whereas Austin has plenty of victories over Rock. I understand that the Wrestlemania 17 match was plagued with interference, but think about it from a non-kayfabe standpoint: At the end of the day, Austin was a bigger star and if both Rock and Austin mutually benefit from a win and loss, Austin will go over. Rock went over Austin as it would serve as a consolation prize for his prior beatings at Wrestlemania; Austin wouldn't benefit from a win. In the WZT tournament, both men cannot afford to lose; which may I remind you, was mentioned just before the WM17 match promo aired.

At the end of the day, The Rock was WWF's contingency plan. A damn fine contingency plan if I do say so myself, but alas, still a contingency plan.

And he served as the contingency plan to his opponent this round, Stone Cold Steve Austin.

And I mean that with all due respect to The Rock because he's a legendary performer in his own regard; but in the wrestling business, he's never been as big as Stone Cold Steve Austin has been.

Vote Austin.

November 15, 1998 - the Rock wins his first World Championship. December 9, 2001 - 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin loses his last World Championship. Between these dates is their shared primes.

During this three year period, the two actually only met in singles competition at US PPVs on three occasions (WrestleMania XV, IYH28: Backlash and Mania X-seven). Austin won all three... to quote the great Stan Lee: "Nuff said!"

Stand by for a completely biased Public Service Announcement by Spidey.

Good evening everyone. Tonight I want to share with you my thoughts on the legendary badass we know today as Stone Cold Steve Austin.

He is the pinnacle of wrestling icons. His frigid behavior, crude hand gestures, and excellent wrestling ability has given birth to an era known for its attitude. Coming into the finale, he trumped John Cena with almost double the votes "The One Who Cannot Be Seen" had, while his opponent barely made it with 5 votes. FIVE VOTES, guys. The cards are stacked against The Great One, and even if damage wasn't calculated, you'd be hard-pressed to argue for Rocky when it's Austin 3:16 in the other corner.

With that said, I urge you to vote for The People's Champion.

This would be 3 times Austin took the tournament. Seems kind of redundant to have such a contest if the same guy is going to keep winning, wouldn't you think? Shake it up a bit. Go for the man that took out the Streak Killer. Vote for the man who put an end to Brock Lesnar's unbelievable victories in the tourney. Go for the man who not only draws in wrestling, but in movies as well:

[YOUTUBE]r6cCGdWCOx8[/YOUTUBE]

Damage shlamage. Stand up for The Rock. He can get by without being censored. He can get by without driving something ridiculous to the ring. He can get by on your votes. And that's the bottom line.

Vote for The People's Champion. Overthrow the Routine. Vote Anarchy. \m/

The only thing that presents any trouble in this for me in terms of which way I feel, is the relative win margin leading into this.

I don't think anybody, no matter their eloquence, persuasiveness or vocabulary, could convince me that Stone Cold is better than The Rock. For me, The Rock took the success of Stone Cold and built upon it, being only bigger and better then his predecessor. And once that baton was begrudgingly passed, The Rock would always be a bigger and better star that point onward (mid-way '99). People will always try to detract from The Rock claiming his success was only as triumphant because of the success of Austin, and to that I have two defences:

1) Universal star

Would a star the quality of The Rock not have been a mega-star in any other era? To claim that The Rock benefited from riding the wave of a wrestling boom caused by another mega-star, makes him a victim of timing. He was and is phenomenal, and it's not OK to think that would be any different if he hadn't immediately followed Austin. If you drop The Rock in 2005 as a new star, Cena isn't the face of the company now. He could barely compete with a Hollywood-dulled out-of-prime Rock in his own prime, how would he deal with the paragon smack-talking Rock of 2000?

2) Story benefits

If you are a fan of Stone Cold, that's generally accepted as the norm, but reluctantly there's one point that you rarely have to contend with. I very much like Stone Cold, I do think he was a very much above average talent, but I can't ever get the thought out my head when comparing him and The Rock in terms of quality, that he benefited so much from story, not just good story but by being really the very first beneficiary of a type of story that is now totally overkill, but then it was the very first of it's kind. That being the overcoming of the power-abusing authority figure. And idea totally fresh then, and one that, admittedly, Stone Cold was the perfect guy for.

But I've always felt that, in the same tone, The Rock was successful despite the stories or character's he was given. Stone Cold came from a place like that, and it was seen how he could harness his frustrations into something magical in ECW, and not long before he got the opportunity to do it on a bigger stage in WWF where it was likely to succeed. Now, you couldn't predict the scale of that success, but nonetheless. The Rock, however, worked in that place that debuted him with the stupid hair and attire, that debuted him like a precursor John Cena, clean as can be face who the crowd didn't take to, at all. The people hated him but he had the belief that if they gave him the opportunity just to talk on the mic, he had the confidence in his own ability and the foresight to know he could go places. And he didn't want to wait around. It was 2 years, almost exactly, from The debut of Rocky Maiva, that The Rock was a world champion and a main event superstar. He did it all himself, he didn't need a good programme or a good story, he just needed to believe he could outperform everybody consistently, and he did.

The Rock had to be successful despite good original stories, he needed to rely on himself and not only was he successful and able to do that, but he went on to do it better than anybody. He still holds the highest rated TV segment in weekly wrestling television, not Stone Cold. That's because he could be entertaining any time, with anyone. Outside of his world, when Stone Cold had to exist in life after being the top guy against Vinny Mac, he couldn't remain at the level of The Rock. That's why Rock faced Hogan at Wrestlemania. That's Austin turned heel at WM 17, rule of a greater heel/face. If there's a turn in a given situation, the lesser of the two heels/faces is the one that turns. And that brings me over to another point.

Matches

It's unarguable that Austin has the better record against his adversary in this match. What you can discuss is the nature of those matches. Prior to the middle of '99, not only was Austin the bigger star, he was also the face in the entirety of their encounters, and Rock was used as fodder the majority of the time to fuel the Austin/McMahon story. This is true also leading into Wrestlemania, where the face is almost always supposed to win the feud at the biggest match at the biggest stage. WM 15 booking was just standard stuff. Austin ought to have won, no problems here.

WM 17 is a whole n'other deal. People revile the winning of Austin at that event, especially the manner in which he did so. Rightfully so, as it contravened some of the essential characteristics of the Austin character, from which he would never truly recover. Point being, as in the above example, the greater face wins the feud, and at that point this was The Rock. Austin winning was the wrong decision, and if you leave that match clean, The Rock wins it hands down.

WM 19 was kind of a washout, a match that didn't really NEED to happen in retrospect, although it was nice to have it happen, neither man was really at the top of their game at this point so the win, even though it technically scores for The Rock, I don't really care about. Their WM record really should have been 1-1 for either side of the tipping of the scales in Rock's favour. Finally, there's the in-tournament booking to consider:

Tournament booking

Austin undeniably had a freshness that The Rock doesn't have here. But that works two ways. In kayfabe, that makes him the underdog which is not all that bad, because that suggests he's the face, or the premier face, which puts him in good footing to win. Austin has beaten his two opponents convincingly. But that two is a double-edged sword because the Rock defeated the person who seemed destined to be in the final of this year's tournament, the man who had just ended The Undertaker's Streak and who beat The Rock when he encountered him in their only match, and who replaced him in being the youngest world champion the WWE had then had. A man who I even voted for. Despite him beating Hulk Hogan and HHH (a guy who's traded wins and losses with The Rock as well as anyone in his career) on the way to The Rock, and despite that, people still saw fit that The Rock should win that match. That transfers that sense of destiny on to The People's Champion.

When some people look at the scores 83 v. 51 and see a steamrolling for Austin, I see Daniel Bryan at Wrestlemania. Rock can't be a heel because as a heel he wasn't at his best. Similarly too, Austin was his best as a face. When they meet face v. face, Rock wins. He eclipsed Stone Cold in that regard.

I'm not voting Rock because I don't want Austin to win his 3rd tournament, I'm voting it because The Rock was better and because contextually, 83 against 51 isn't actually going to make much difference in who wins. For me, The Rock is the greatest of all time. That's why, in a nutshell, I think he should win this tournament.

Stone Cold should win this because, still to this day, people chant 'What?' at anyone no matter where or when. I dont see anyone shouting The Rock's catchphrases like that.

Vote Austin. Cause he said so & stuff.

Stone Cold should win this because, still to this day, people chant 'What?' at anyone no matter where or when. I dont see anyone shouting The Rock's catchphrases like that.

Vote Austin. Cause he said so & stuff.

Big deal.

Rock got the president to say his catchphrase.

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=TfPAkkYf_sI[/YOUTUBE]

Do people still shout Rock's catchphrase like that? No, they don't.

Does Austin have a show that's been going for a DECADE and a half named around one of his catchphrases? Nope.

WWE_SmackDown_Logo.svg

I like The Rock more than Stone Cold and I think he is a bigger name worldwide than Steve Austin I think The Rock more entertaining than Austin and more enjoyable. However Austin beat Rock twice at Mania he also comes into this match with victories that are far more convincing than Rock.

I like The Rock more than Stone Cold and I think he is a bigger name worldwide than Steve Austin I think The Rock more entertaining than Austin and more enjoyable. However Austin beat Rock twice at Mania he also comes into this match with victories that are far more convincing than Rock.

Steve Austin has never defeated The Rock as a babyface cleanly.

The Rock as a heel beat Austin cleanly.

P.S. The voting is not based on who would win a real match.

124hjbn.png

This is how I expected the final to look like. The 2 biggest icons of their generation colliding as they did 3x at the grandest stage of them all...and I am struggling to pick a side, this is arguably the toughest match in the whole tournament to make a decision for...

But after careful consideration I am going to go for Steve Austin. He was the guy who dragged WWE up when it was on its knees and took it to heights that were previously unthinkable just a few years earlier when the likes of Mabel were winning KOTR and there were wrestling toilet cleaners and ex-hockey players on the roster.

Stone Cold's feud with Vince was the catalyst for the biggest boom period in WWE history, he was that popular that whole shows were built around him and people could relate to his character far more than any other wrestler around at the time. Austin was a phenomenon, who always found a way to come out on top, no matter the odds stacked against him. The fact that his popularity grew when he wasn't even in the ring for a lot of time due to injury shows just how talented he is.

It's difficult for me to vote against Rocky though, as he was also an incredible talent, arguably a better athlete and in-ring performer than Austin and possibly even better on the mic, although more comedy than Austin's more serious style. Against anyone else I'd be giving the edge to The Rock as he was that good, and insanely popular but because of how important Austin was to the WWE's recovery against WCW, which allowed Rock to build on that success, and Austins 2-1 Wrestlemania victories against Rock (with his only loss coming in the last match of his career when he was a physical wreck), I'm giving this to Austin.

Just.

But after careful consideration I am going to go for Steve Austin. He was the guy who dragged WWE up when it was on its knees and took it to heights that were previously unthinkable just a few years earlier when the likes of Mabel were winning KOTR and there were wrestling toilet cleaners and ex-hockey players on the roster.

Actually no, WWE changing their direction and introducing the Attitude Era did that.

Austin was a phenomenon, who always found a way to come out on top, no matter the odds stacked against him.

No, it just means he had an ego and refused to do the job.

The fact that his popularity grew when he wasn't even in the ring for a lot of time due to injury shows just how talented he is.

Or that WWE had writers who knew how to book funny segments.

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=f393p-DSUio[/YOUTUBE]

Swearing and yelling. Dat talent.

because of how important Austin was to the WWE's recovery against WCW, which allowed Rock to build on that success,

Rock build his success because of Austin? Lol.

I guess you can say the same thing about Austin building his success of WCW and the nWo.

and Austins 2-1 Wrestlemania victories against Rock (with his only loss coming in the last match of his career when he was a physical wreck), I'm giving this to Austin.

Are we neglecting the fact that Austin's 2nd win over Rock was because Rock left to Hollywood for 4 months after that and there was absolutely no reason for Rock to go over.

Also, from a kayfabe standpoint, Austin showed that he couldn't beat Rock in that match cleanly showing Rock as a superior to Austin.

Actually no, WWE changing their direction and introducing the Attitude Era did that.

And who was the face of the Attitude Era if you had to pick one? Stone Cold Steve Austin.

No, it just means he had an ego and refused to do the job.

Or that WWE booked the Austin character to overcome his evil boss time and time again, making him incredibly popular with the fans who could live vicariously through Austin, wishing they could also beat up their boss. People related to his character.

Or that WWE had writers who knew how to book funny segments.

Yes the storyline writers were coming up with good material for Austin, to keep him in the spotlight, but a lesser performer would not have been able to carry it off as Austin did. Everything given to him, he hit out of the park making the fans more and more excited for his eventual return to the ring.

Swearing and yelling. Dat talent.

Yes, Austin used bad language. That was a feature of the Attitude Era as a whole. DX made penis jokes on a regular basis, The Rock talked about sticking things up people's asses, there was a character who was a porn star, a character who was a pimp, women dressing in less and less. It wasn't just Austin.

Rock build his success because of Austin? Lol.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. What I was getting at is that Austin was successful first, and was a major reason why the WWE was on a high when The Rock came on to the main event scene. The Rock continued the success of the company.

Are we neglecting the fact that Austin's 2nd win over Rock was because Rock left to Hollywood for 4 months after that and there was absolutely no reason for Rock to go over.

Well if we are ignoring the 2nd Austin win because Rock was leaving, lets ignore Rock's win because Austin was retiring. So that makes it 1-0 to Austin at Wrestlemania.

Also, from a kayfabe standpoint, Austin showed that he couldn't beat Rock in that match cleanly showing Rock as a superior to Austin.

Austin beat Rocky at WM15 even with Vince interfering on The Rock's behalf, showing Austin as superior to The Rock.

Believe it or not, I feel like TheOneAndOnlyGOAT made some good points.

One point he brought up brings me back to a thread Shocky made years back about why should Stone Cold get a pass based on his personal issues and refusal to put others over, etc. Rock was willing to work with the Gunns and Hurricanes of the world and had no problems with it as far as I can tell.

Present-day, we want to criticize someone like John Cena and state that he never puts anyone other because he never loses to them. I don't believe losing is a direct correlation to someone being put over. Let's say Cena loses to Rusev but Rusev doesn't do much after that. Could we say that Cena put him over? Yes. Is it Cena's fault that Rusev couldn't stay over after that match? No. Some people will still blame Cena for that and it's unfortunate.

I know that factor is minor in determining who the better wrestler is, but I will always admire Rock for at least working with those guys and never putting up a big fuss about it.

I still don't know who to vote for, but I will leave with this question for now.

The consensus seems to be that the Rock would not have been as big as he was if Austin didn't have to leave for a year.

Would Austin have been as big as he was if the Montreal Screwjob never happened which turned McMahon into the biggest heel there was?

I love how people keep saying that Austin didn't beat Rock clean at WrestleMania.

The rules of the WrestleMania X7 match was NO DISQUALIFICATION. Austin competed within the rules of the match and won. That's the very definition of a clean win.

Bunch of reasons to vote for Austin.
  1. They both were in their prime at the same time and Austin was always the #1 guy, while The Rock was always behind him. It took a Neck surgery for Rock to get out of Austins shadow, and once Austin came back he was right back on top where he rightfully belonged.
  2. Austin beat Rock twice on the biggest stage of them all, WrestleMania, when both were in their prime. Rocks one victory came in Austins last match the day after he was in the hospital (AKA not close to his prime).
  3. In the previous 2 rounds, Rock has been WAY more beaten up after barely surviving BROCK LESNAR (the man who really should have won the tournament). Austin is more fresh after 2 relatively easy victories.
  4. The only Tournament Rock has ever won was rigged for him to win. Austin won a tournament while going to the hospital between matches. Clearly Austin has the advantage in a tournament..

This isn't close. AUSTIN needs to win because he's the only logical choice.

They both were in their prime at the same time and Austin was always the #1 guy, while The Rock was always behind him. It took a Neck surgery for Rock to get out of Austins shadow, and once Austin came back he was right back on top where he rightfully belonged.

Not really. When you consider what you designate is someone's 'prime', the chief factor should be establishing when their booking was at it's absolute paramount. In this case, that's when both guys were top of the card names to be 'the guy'. For Austin, this ran from when Stone Cold first stunned McMahon, starting their story, up until he left after being ran over in '99. For The Rock it started when he won the Deadly Games tournament, because up until then he wasn't a main event talent and hadn't been booked in that vain, and finished after losing to Lesnar in 2002.

When Austin was away with his injury, Rock was in the same position Austin had been previously. Fighting a tide of corruption and often having to overcome the odds all by himself. When Austin returned, he was the number 2 guy. The roles had been reversed from when they had first feuded 2 years earlier by the time their second Wrestlemania had come around.

Literally, Austin got the win under the rules of the match, that's not up for contention. But he did so by the rule of inferiority as I explained in my first post. The lesser of two heels/faces is the one who turns when the two feud if a turn occurs. Austin turned because by that point The Rock was a bigger deal. This was demonstrated because Rock was chosen to face Hogan at WM 18 and win whereas Austin merely faced the NWO #3 guy, if we're honest. That was his level at that time.

The one time they interacted during shared prime was WM 15 where Austin won. That's not up for dispute. Austin did win, and he ought to have won. However, had the controversial, and since universally reviled decision to turn Austin at WM 17 not occurred, The Rock would've won because at that time Rock<Austin as a face, and generally as a star. And since that time, if you're being honest, the fans have always treated it as such. Whenever Austin has returned, it's been great and fun and well received, but when Rock returned, it's just a bigger deal, because The Rock became a bigger deal than Austin.

And to anybody I ask now, the people that watched then and haven't since, he is the guy they remember more from that time. He is the bigger star of that era, and perhaps any other besides Hogan. Austin propelled the Attitude era, The Rock was the King of it.

And who was the face of the Attitude Era if you had to pick one? Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Both, Austin and Rock were the undisputed face of the company for the same time. Austin from mid-98 to late-99. Rock in 2000. Then they shared the #1 spot.

Or that WWE booked the Austin character to overcome his evil boss time and time again, making him incredibly popular with the fans who could live vicariously through Austin, wishing they could also beat up their boss. People related to his character.

Doesn't change the fact that he refused to work with some talents and always made himself look good.

Rock agreed to work with Billy Gunn and even had a mini-feud with FREAKIN' AL SNOW.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. What I was getting at is that Austin was successful first, and was a major reason why the WWE was on a high when The Rock came on to the main event scene. The Rock continued the success of the company.

A major reason why WWE was on a high? No doubt. But how high are we talking?
RAW didn't reach the 6s, the 7s and the 8s ratings until Rock became champ.

The Foley-Rock feud also had a crucial role in the Monday Night Wars.

The Rock didn't continue, he took the WWF to even bigger heights and help WWF in 2000 keep the 6s and the 7s ratings despite losing the "attitude" they had in 99 and 3 of their most important stars in that year (Austin, Foley, Taker).

Well if we are ignoring the 2nd Austin win because Rock was leaving, lets ignore Rock's win because Austin was retiring. So that makes it 1-0 to Austin at Wrestlemania.

Except that Rock wasn't a face when Austin beat him and Rock back then wasn't the face of the company.

Here we have 2 guys that can honestly say they became bigger than the business, we have 2 top guys who were mega draws. How big of draws were they? Unlike draws like Hogan, Austin and Rock made so much money that neither of them have to wrestle anymore (I think its fair to say The Rock came back for no other reason than he felt like it). Both guys ended their full time careers 11-12 years ago and STILL they are 2 of the most popular wrestlers in the world even after a decade of not performing and IMO this is the biggest and best final match the Wrestlezone Tournament has ever had. You could easily vote for either guys and it would be a vote not wasted either way as both guys have more than enough merits to grab the tournament this year. Since that's the case lets break it down:

Win/Loss against each other - Austin wins this category easily. Yeah The Rock pinned Austin at WM but it was his last match and it wasn't completely known where The Rock's future was going so The Rock winning at WM19 made sense. With that said Austin has probably won 90% of their meetings (including TWO WM main events).

Damage going into the match - Once again Austin has the upper hand here. He fought some great wrestlers but he defeated them more soundly than The Rock did. I can see The Rock overcoming a lot of guys being fatigued but if he could only defeat Austin one on one in his last match (and after spending the night in a hospital) then his odd's aren't good going into this match.

Impact on the business - Austin goes 3/3 and wins this one as well. I'm fully aware of The Rock's greatness and what he's done for wrestling but he hasn't done as much as Austin, without Austin The Rock doesn't have the platform to become as big as he did, and you could argue he still never got as big as Austin did in the wrestling world (pop culture sure, but not wrestling).

I didn't add in any more columns because its fairly subjective when it comes to everything else, they're a little to close to accurately state who was the better performer, mic, charisma, ect. but overall the only performer who ever did what Austin did for WWE was Hogan. These guys literally made WWE the #1 promotion in the world and Austin did it at a time where they were on the brink of financial collapse. I fully respect what The Rock brings to the table but in my eyes NO ONE is quite the hand that Austin was.

Austin wins, and that's the bottom line because the vast majority of the tournament voters says so..

Impact on the business - Austin goes 3/3 and wins this one as well. I'm fully aware of The Rock's greatness and what he's done for wrestling but he hasn't done as much as Austin, without Austin The Rock doesn't have the platform to become as big as he did, and you could argue he still never got as big as Austin did in the wrestling world (pop culture sure, but not wrestling).

:lmao:

Actually it's without the WWF, Rock wouldn't have the platform to become as big as he did.

Vince McMahon gave Rock that platform not Austin.

:lmao:

Actually it's without the WWF, Rock wouldn't have the platform to become as big as he did.

Vince McMahon gave Rock that platform not Austin.

If Austins popularity didn't skyrocket there wouldn't BE a WWE today. Hogan and Vince built WWF to what it was but it was Austin who saved the company from going under. You know when people take words too literally and end up sounding like a idiot and a tool? Thats you in this quoted post.

The Rock accepting feuds with Billy Gunn and being in smaller altercations with Al Snow & The Hurricane shouldn't be used as a way of suggesting The Rock is better than Austin. Austin was clearly right about Billy Gunn, Jeff Jarrett and for his refusal to face Lesnar for free on TV. The Rock should've been more picky. All top guys should be.

Does Austin have a show that's been going for a DECADE and a half named around one of his catchphrases? Nope.

Thats because Stone Cold is too good to be forever associated with the 'B' show. But feel free to watch Austin lay the smack down on Dwayne while you ponder a useless response.

tumblr_mjrya1Q7Vg1qa8z2jo1_500.jpg

The Rock has only beaten Austin 3 times in 1 on 1 bouts. 2 of those were by DQ. The only real win was at WM, their last encounter.

Stone Cold has more than proven he can take out Rock. 7 wins (one DQ, 6 pinfalls) 2 of those are at WM.

Really hard to argue with facts. Vote Austin.

Here's a statistic for anyone wondering how this match would turn out...

The Rock and Stone Cold squared off against each other 103 times (singles, tags, everything).

Stone Cold was on the winning side 81 of those 103 times, and 5 more of those matches didn't have a decision. The Rock only came out the winner against Austin 16.5% of the time.

When these two guys faced off, it was the Rock that would be on the losing end virtually every single time.

Think about that

neither guy should be at this point but Austin is clearly the winner here not even close. AUstin owned the Rock. He owned the era and easily goes over here with a stunner

Winner- Austin with a stunner to Rock hook the leg and bam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back