Sheamus is the New #1 Contender for the WWE Title

Do you agree with WWE's decision to name Sheamus as #1 Contender

• Yes, the Raw Main Event is completely stale and they need a new face

• No, Sheamus is not ready for the Main Event and I don't take him seriously as a Main Eventer

Results are only viewable after voting.
It seems like Miz and Morrison are being left behind and they're clearly the top two guys after the established main eventers, in my mind. The ONLY Guy who deserved a shot ahead of them was Kofi but he's getting massively elevated with Randy Orton right now so I don't mind that.

Where does all of this leave Miz and Morrison? I know they're holding the mid-tier titles but what are they doing not even stepping in the ring for a 3 hour RAW when they get two of the best reactions in the entire 'E'?

One more thing: We better get some development from Seamus in the next few weeks. What do we know about the guy? He's clearly bad, likes to hurt people and is Irish. Let's get some character dev going.

Though one thing good about this: We got to see Cena thrown through a table on RAW. That made me happy.

By the way, Body was great tonight. He and McMahon, while not up to their old standards by a long shot, were still significantly better than King and Cole.

I'm probably making a big mistake in not reading any of the other responses. The Miz and Morrison are desperately needed to elevate the mid card, and they're doing a great job. I think it's too soon to assume DiBiase is ready for a WWE title shot. Kofi is the only one who is truly more deserving at a shot at the title. Especially with his great promo work lately, and being the soul survivor from his team at Survivor Series. I think it's way too soon to see Sheamus in the hunt for the title.. I'm fairly confident he'll wind up as the next Koslov after he's force fed down out throats. But at least creative is trying to get someone fresh in the title scene.

I have a bit of a conspiracy theory on why Seamus got the title shot over someone else.

You should talk to Jesse Ventura.

For month now the IWC and also the general fans have been complaining about how stale the main event on Raw has been.

Yeah.

So he decides to tease us fans by promoting the newer guys like Kofi and legacy, MVP etc...

....Or he noticed his show was getting stale, and in an effort to liven up the World Title scene, he did something new and exciting.

But who does he decide to push, one of the new guys who is not even close to being over yet (maybe he will be sometime, or maybe like I mentioned in another thread he will end up like Kozlov).

He provided you with what everyone has been jizzing about for the past 6 months: a new star.

At least Slam Master J didn't win that battle royal. He deserves his genitals roasted.

I think in the battle royal the fans would have been happy and there would have been some reaction if anyone else (except maybe Orton) had won it.

Yeah, because you can't go wrong with No Reaction MVP and the Big Red Kool-Aid Man Mark Henry.

Now if the Buyrates are low or the match gets a massive boring chant, Vince can basically say screw you to the IWC and say he was right all the time about the fans actually wanting to see the same people all the time.

I seriously doubt any of these things will happen. Considering that all of the matches are going to be some fucked up variation of a hardcore match, the buyrates for this PPV are going to be very high.

I hit the nail right on the head. And the vibrations eventually shattered down to it's nipples, ass, and knees.

I feel for this particular PPV, Sheamus is an okay choice for the spot. I feel everyone is thrown off by the No.1 Contender moniker than anything else, if they just said this was the man who is getting his shot, I think the ferver wouldn't be so big. No.1 Contender implies the BEST person for the shot. When Sheamus should've been presented as just the NEXT person for the shot.

The gave this same oppurtunity to John Cena when he challenged Brock Lesnar at Backlash after Lesnar won the WWE title. Cena was now where near ready at the time, he wasn't even moving through the mid-card too quickly. He was less than 5 months into the rapper gimmick so he was still finding his footing. But he excelled in the buildup with Brock, created the F-U and while he lost, it did elevate him in the mid-card.

WWE is most likely going to see the Troops soon since we're in the holiday season. There is no way Sheamous is going to be champ. The need to buy time for the Rumble to 'Mania build, why not give it to a guy than can usr the quick rub?

Kofi- Big Time over thanks to the Orton fued...he doesn't need it. He's already a top mid-carder/2nd tier Main Eventer.

Swagger- Has lost some (pun intended) since being drafted over. Crowds don't react to highly for him...he's just not at that spot anymore. Maybe the U.S. Title route is what's best for him.

Miz- Is over right now as the U.S.Champ, he already mini-fueded with Cena (which he benefitted from already). You can only do so much with one guy. Miz has done well, so he doesn't NEED the 2nd rub.

Morrison- IC Champ, spectacular matches, will get squashed by Taker because Takes can't look too weak going into the Wrestlemainia Season (January-April). Remember the challenger is now way winning the title at TLC. Cena and Taker are your captains going into the 'Season'.

Dibiase- Can someone please tell me why he is so special? Got his ass handed to him by Orton (so he can film Marine 2). Has not shown much in the ring that impresses me. I'm sorry I don't see it.

To be honest, this is a great choice for number one contender. This is the ONLY option they have where NO ONE loses any credibility. Now I'm going to break down the popular alternatives that were chosen to replace Sheamus and why those alternates would not work at this point.

Kofi Kingston

Right now, Kofi is a Top 5 face on Raw. Possibly higher. Why put that momentum against Cena, who's a face and the TOP face on Raw? Not to mention cutting off a story with him and Orton, which is turning into a great angle. The best thing for Kofi was to NOT win the battle royal and continue his feud with Orton. Trust me, Kofi will have his shot.

The Miz

Miz is US Champion, has been beaten by Cena constantly and has no real reason to face him. He's better off being in a story with someone else like Swagger or even Morrison on SD. Putting him in that spot would leave him in a worse spot than he's at right now. Miz is a champion and doesn't need Cena to get over.

Ted Dibiase Jr.

Two words. Not. Ready. Dibiase has a lot of upside and a lot of main events in his future. But Dibiase has no story. He's just back from his publicity and filming The Marine 2. He's rusty and in winning that battle royal, would have complicated numerous storylines. Orton would shift focus to Dibiase, which would leave Kofi to try to put Sheamus over. Too many things could go wrong if Ted was facing Cena.

And now, I'm going to explain why Sheamus being number one contender is the best option for the WWE right now.

1) Momentum

Sheamus has it. A lot of it. Sure he's beaten up nobody's, but he's also mean, powerful, and intimidating. He's built to be a monster and would be someone Cena's never had to deal with, which proves to be a kayfabe advantage to Sheamus.

2) Change of Pace

I like how most if not all of us whined about someone new not being in a main event match, and we get one and what happens? We whine about who's in the main event. It's fresh and leaves a sense of interest into how this can turn out. It can be a surprise as far as how good this match can be.

3) No one loses

This is my main reason this will work. The match is a Tables Match. It's not a legit match. It's putting your opponent through a table. ANY scenario that happens would only reap benefits. If Cena wins, then he put Sheamus through a table. No momentum killed. Sheamus just comes out, says he's never been pinned and is still an unstoppable force who's going to end careers. No momentum lost. If by some chance Sheamus wins this match and the belt, then it's going to be the mark out moment of the year. Cena loses no momentum because he was not pinned. He's still powerful, still the top face, and there's no worries about not being put over. The only way this can be messed up is if it's a quick match where Cena just beats up Sheamus for 5 minutes and FU's him through a table. Which is a possibility I'm prepared for.

But if you look at the big picture, this is great. DX isn't in a main event, a new wrestler's fighting for the WWE title, and we're seeing stars being made. I don't see how anyone could see this as being a bad thing.

I was miffed when i saw on Raw that Sheamus bagged himself a title match at TLC. I like im sure most of the IWC was shocked to see this. Ive read that its because wwe have decided to push new talent but how come kofi kingston..that could have planted some seeds for cena predicted turning heel for his predicted match with taker at 'Mania 26.

Then i got thinking to myself are they building him as the next Brock Lesnar, But Lesnar was built as a powerhouse from day 1 and just went through most of the roster before he got his title shot, so far the height of Sheamus's career is he retired Jamie Noble...

Then today when i logged int WrestleZone i read that Sheamus's push is partly because hes triple h's work out partner. Didnt think that deserved a push to be honest.

Then finally i think i got to the real root of it, Is it because hes from Ireland?
When was the last time we saw an irish world champion? Also..remember..Khalis world title push was for major publicity in India.

Am I on to something or does Sheamus actually deserve this push?

No, there's no way that can be true. WWE pushed Khali because India has a huge population. The potential profit for the WWE if they appeal to a market of 1 billion Indians could be astronomical. Bigger than anything they could even make in America, if they make Khali look good and make sure he's known in his home country.

Sheamus comes from a country with a population of 4 million. That is absolutely nothing as a global market. They can make pocket change from a country like Ireland, it wouldn't be worth putting the title on a guy to appeal to a country of 4 million.

It's Vince's love of big guys coupled with the fact that Sheamus is Triple H's buddy. That's it.

The last word Id use to describe this would be miffed. I am so far from miffed its not even funny. I am so tired of seeing the same 8 people main even PPVs in some combination that it bores me.

HHH
Michaels
Cena
Batista
Edge
Punk
Undertaker
Orton

I am sure to be missing others.

Having a Sheamus or Kingston being pushed to the main event brings fresh life. I don't believe in Sheamus as much as Kingston but it gives a guy who maybe deserves a push a chance to run with the ball. Maybe HHH sees a guy who works very hard in training and studies the game. Maybe he sees Sheamus evolving into a big time player. We will never know if he doesn't get a chance. I wish more talent would get a chance to get elevated to the main event.

UT/Batista/Michaels/HHH should in all honesty be out of the main event picture.

Undertaker is like an Andre The Giant. He's a novelty more than anything and that to me is 100% ok. I don't want to see him overexposed.

If they were pushing Sheamus because he's Irish then they should be pushing Finlay. Finlay is a more established Irishman who's well respected for his work in and out the ring.

It has nothing to do with him being Catholic. It's a match of convenience as WWE is buying time until the Wrestlemania Season (January-End of 'Mainia).

Sheamus is getting the push because he is Trip's buddy. Obvious. But it's not that bad a thing. With a respectable performance he can jump himself from debuting monster to top of the midcard heel. Which with Swagger in limbo and Miz getting positive fan reaction, RAW needs.

Kingston doesn't need the quick rub the BBRoyale gives because he is being BUILT with the Orton fued as oppose to PUSHED, like Sheamus. Everyone can see (expect?) Kofi to be in the main event cycle already.

Blade nailed it. Nuff said. I don't hate the idea of Sheamus/Cena in a title match. I don't love it either. It's obvious this match will not headline the PPV so people should quit jumping down the throat of creative in trying to push the younger talent. Sheamus is HHH's workout buddy is another reason he's getting the push. Yes we're all sick of HHH's politics and yadda yadda yadda... but you know what? He's paid his dues and believe it or not, being as good as he is, and marrying into the company, HHH knows his shit and knows what could be good or bad for the business. And as silly as it sounds, it wouldn't shock me if HHH was a part of the IWC and puts himself in the angles with Hornswaggle and Little People Court Segments because all the smarks think Hornswaggle is somehow single-handedly ruining Raw and the WWE.

People bitch the same people are always in the main event. Well here's Sheamus. Regardless of how he got there in the storyline or backstage politics, he's new. Quit your bitching.

I'm just curious if the people who are ranting about Sheamus getting this push actually think he has a snowball's chance in hell of winning @ TLC? This is a "fresh" filler and should be embraced since it isn't one of the several people Cena has faced multiple times. I am personally tired of watching Sheamus squash jobbers, so with this match he will take Superman to the limit, lose, and not only maintain his credebility, but further advance it. From here he can now have programs with other midcarders and build from there. Anyone who thinks Kofi should be in this spot needs to start watching Rollerderby or something, cause you have no idea what's good for business. Sheamus is surely getting the rub from Trips partly because of their situation, and as WaylonMercy said he knows better than anyone where this kid is at, and this is a good thing all the way around. True to form, you malcontents bitch and moan about how you want change, well here it is.....stop whining, before you get Cena/Orton AGAIN!

He's being pushed because he's HHH's buddy. There's no mystery to that. And yeah, we want to see new people be pushed but we also want to see deserving people not people who made friends with the boss' son in law. Give me MVP(face) vs Cena, Swagger vs. Cena. No one cares for this Sheamus guy and he's more than likely filler to keep Cena strong. I see his push as no different from Umaga's or Kozlov's push.

I think he's a good choice between now and the Royal Rumble. Feud's for Mania are established at the Rumble and No Way Out. Sheamus will get a good rub working with Cena 1 or 2 months. And guess what? He'll have more credibility when he goes up against MVP, Kingston, Miz and all the other young midcarders. I don't think its fair that people assume that the ONLY reason why he's getting a push is because he's friends with Triple H. He's been wrestling for close to 8 years now. One could say that the only reason Orton and Rock were pushed was because they're 3rd generation superstars. I say we just sit back and see what happens. Sheamus can be a star without the politics. He's gotta unique look, and he's HUGE.

you know something that just occurred to me is that what if it was swagger. this would have been a good chance to give him a start out n that main event feel. if i recall he had a really good match against john cena at the 2009 draft.

why start pushing Sheamus when u can push somebody like swagger who was already defined as a future main event player. Sheamus has'nt done anyhting. at least swagger has done stuff. this is a nowhere push for sheamus and it was at the cost of swagger's push....:banghead:

and yet at the same time this helps kofi or it could. there working it the same way they did with Jeff hardy there making him jump hoop after hoop to be the number one contender. this battle royal was only the beginning. in a few months we will have kofi as a world champion.

yet why sheamus? because he's in with HHH and has a biased creative advantage. which kinda blo-wait no it totally blows!

my point is you could have the same effect without hurting someones career if you were to replace Sheamus with swagger. swagger career wouldn't be on death row, and Sheamus could have more time to build up this possible Brock Lesnar run. but hey maybe swagger will get pushed back to ECW and will get a chance to rebuild his momentum.

heres hoping

Sheamus can be a star without the politics. He's gotta unique look, and he's HUGE.

He does have an unique look -- but that doesn't mean it's good! Looking at him, and hearing his fluctuating accent, makes me laugh. Even still, that doesn't mean I'm against him getting the push. Since WWE has seen fit to cram the guy down our throats, I'd rather it come to a head sooner rather than later, and that's what's happening here.

For whatever reason, and the people on these boards could debate those ad nauseum (and probably will), Sheamus is being singled out for a series of World title shots. With barely a shred of doubt in my mind, I will say now that there is no way he's going to go over Cena. He's going to get the old-school, traditional, PG Era before PG Era was ever introduced, Hulk Hogan vs. Monster Heel treatment.

For the next few weeks, Sheamus is going to attack and injure Cena. Of course, Cena will sell the hell out of this injury. Then the two will face at TLC. Sheamus will dominate the champ, beating him to a pulp, but still won't be able to get the victory. Then Cena will get Sheamus in the STF, but the Irish Man won't submit. They'll go back-and-forth, pulling out everything in their arsenal, but neither will not give up. Finally, when Sheamus has the upper hand, he'll set up a table, ready to put Cena through it. Then, through some random turn of events, the champ ends up putting Sheamus through it instead, getting the victory.

Wow! Doesn't Sheamus look like a monster? He nearly killed Cena! Wow! Doesn't Cena look great? He took everything Sheamus had, but he pulled out the victory. They might rinse & repeat at Royal Rumble, just to make sure Sheamus has a good, strong rub, then it's on to WrestleMania for Cena and back to the upper-midcard with a strong, strong rub for Sheamus.

People are acting like they've put the belt on Sheamus out of the blue. That's not happening people. They're just giving Cena a fresh opponent for a couple of months until they figure out how, inevitably, to somehow give us a new take on (probably) Cena/Orton at WrestleMania.

This is what you refer to as a temperture check. Put him in against one of the faces of your company and see what happens. Baptism by fire.

Yes, he's HHH's workout buddy...but he still has to do it in the ring. So why not give him the chance to see what he can do. Sink or swim. I do think Sheamus has a very bright future...he's a different look and has a different style. The crowd does seem to be getting into it more and having Cena with him isn't a bad thing because one way or another...it will garner a reaction

Reactions: NSL
It's honestly no surprise to me that he got this little mini "nudge" we'll call it. I admit that I was taken aback by it at first and then in about 10 seconds it all made perfect sense. Vince has a very unhealthy habit of "ethnic exploitation". Yes I'm aware that the most likely reason is because he's Triple H's workout partner, but still there has a been a pattern of such pushes with wrestlers of different nationalities. But I don't necessarily believe it's for tapping into a certain global market. At least not in Sheamus' case. Why, you ask? Because Sheamus is foreign. Whether it be Canadians, Russians, Englishmen, Scottsmen, Irishmen, Italians, or Iranians, they are CLASSIC heels in the mind of Vince McMahon at least.

Think about it, Iron Sheik, HEEL. Every single canadian wrestler in the wwe ever, HEEL. Yokozuna, HEEL. I could go on. Point being, whenever Vince runs out of hurdles for his top face to squash, he tends to grab a foreign wrestler. And this time, I think its a good idea. Cuz Sheamus is still very green. And that in itself is a heat builder. We all know that Sheamus has no chance, but I would love to be surprised.

To answer your question Sheamus is getting pushed for 2 reasons:

1) The obvious one would be he's HHH's workout buddy and

2) Like Kofi getting the push so he can become the top African American main eventer, the same can be said of Sheamus.

I do think Sheamus will be a very successful heel and main eventer but in this case it's too much to soon although I can't really complain because we are finally getting what a lot of us want pushing new talent into the main event scene.

Sheamus is getting pushed because they needed someone for Cena to beat at TLC. They needed someone who wasn't over too much that it would completely damage there career by losing to Cena. They are taking there time with Kofi because they actually have real main event plans for him. Sheamus was just an easy pick.... When Creative said we need a guy Cena can squash within one or two PPV's, Triple H said... Oh I know this guy who's got some good work ethic. Sheamus. The end.

Well we need new stars, bottom line. HHH, Michaels, and Taker are getting old and the WWE needs to solidify a new group of main eventers for the next generation. I'm not saying Sheamus is gonna be one of them, but they're testing waters.

And also, as everybody has already said it, the WWE's buying time for the Royal Rumble so they can start building the feuds for Wrestlemania. Cena's obviously gonna beat Sheamus, and I hope the WWE can use Sheamus in the next PPV so he can have a solid match at Wrestlemania, therefore solidifying himself as a top midcarder heel for Raw, or Smackdown if they decide to switch him.

Even looking past Mania, I hope the WWE can have a solid group of wrestlers for the next generation. Punk and Morrison to me have the MOST potential. I got hope for McIntyre also, and maybe even the Miz.

It probably has something to do with being Triple H’s workout buddy. I’m not usually someone that goes on about Triple H holding down talent and all of those rumors about him, but I think this one is true.

I mean what else does he have? Sure, he has a good physique…but I thought Vince liked his men oily? Not trying to sound racist or anything, but how many men has he pushed in the past that have the same or a similar look? No man comes to mind.

So being a friend of Triple H is my best guess because I can’t find any other reason why he would push a relative newcomer over some talent that have been working very hard yet have never had a chance to main event nor have they gotten a title shot.

He's HHH's work-out partner; thats a plus. Nothing can beat some good, old-fashioned politicking. I thought it was odd that he was immediately pushed into a title match without really doing anything on RAW besides a few squashes. That could be a good strategy because back in the day they used to plug newer guys right into title matches with Bret Hart and HBK and that would sometimes elevate that person.

Now....Before all of you go off on me as if I just stole your little sister's virginity, read what I have to say...

As a fan of this business loooooong before the internet saturated our heads with "news" I have seen many stars rise, many fall, and many overlooked. Generally speaking, yes, the WWE is the BE ALL/END ALL for this business...has been for over 25 years. And...for those 25 + years one man has ALWAYS been in charge, Vincent Kennedy McMahon, even though we don't always agree with his decisions.

What I'm trying to convey here is that Vinnie Mac has FINALLY is listening! Young talent has been moving up the cards consistently for a few years now...Case and point, The Miz, John Morrison and CM Punk...More recently Kofi Kingston, Legacy, and Sheamus.

On the topic of Sheamus, I for one ENJOY his work so far...Sure, he isn't developed enough in MOST fans' minds, but the guy can work...Simple as that. His in ring ability lacks a lil shine maybe...but that's just how he's being booked, his abilities far outweigh his currently booked position. I hope, and pray that at TLC he shuts all your mouths with an AMAZING performance...win or lose!

What I want to REALLY know is WHY you all are so upset that Vince has given you what you wanted!? You were sick of HHH, Cena, Orton, Taker, Show, and Michaels...so Vince gave you a fresh Main Eventer!!

The Miz, Swagger, Kofi, Legacy, Morrison, Bourne, MVP...WHOEVER...Are NOT being overlooked...Sheamus simply was in the right place at the right time...

Yes, we the fans pay the bills, watch the shows, and order the PPV's...But we ALWAYS will...regardless of whats going on...that's why we're FANS!

So, answer me this... WHAT makes YOU so certain why Sheamus should not be pushed? What makes YOU so certain that what YOU want is what will be best for the business???

It's a simple answer: Because we're fans.

We know what's good for the business, because we're the fans who watch the shows. And if we see something we don't like, then it's bad for the business cause it loses us as fans and viewers. We know what's good for the business, because it's what we want to see and it's what will keep us tuned in to see what happens week after week. That's why we know what's good for the business, and that's why we should be listened to in moderation.

I'm indifferent about Sheamus' push. I don't really care about much that happens on Raw apart from the Miz, Kofi and Orton. But I understand that people don't like seeing Sheamus in that spot because there's many more superstars that deserve a title shot more than Sheamus. In fact, Sheamus is probably one of the least deserving members of the Raw roster. Being big and friends with Triple H does not mean you deserve a title shot. He's unproven even as a midcarder and has shown nothing but mediocrity. We want new blood in the main event picture. That means someone who hasn't been in the title picture before, not someone who just came into the WWE and got shoved into a title match.

To name a few reasons.

What Blade said. Our voice matters more than any others, because if we don't like what we see then, CLICK. Vince loses rating points. This thread is very shareholderish by the way. Hate to use that word, but this is a clear case of someone defending Vince's business decisions over our own entertainment.

Let us all keep in mind this. Fan is short for Fanatic. Being fans means we want to see the absolute best at all times. No matter if our ideas are the dumbest thing to someone else, to us they are golden.

It's no different than being a fan of a sports team. Case in point, I love the Ravens. I go at it hardcore with Steelers fans because of it. I went nuts when Kyle "why do I have a job" Boller was our quarterback. I was livid when we lost Bart Scott to the Jets... and "Mr. JL" Jamal Lewis to the Browns... who we actually replaced but whatever...

I've made countless blogs, articles and opinions about the state of my teams over the years, and many others have as well. Does that mean we should be happy when something goes right? HELL NO. If it's not the whole system being right then the hell with it. My 49ers are having a good season overall but we are still severely stuck in the "sucks" department for the better of the past 15 years (grew up a 49ers fan, been a ravens since they have existed)

Now... before someone decides to infract me for spamming....

We don't know we know best but it's what we fucking want! Humans are selfish creatures and we want it our way. What a LOT of LONG TIME FANS know is that HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF. We can smell the same old shit a mile away. Hence why people are scared of Hogan going to TNA (I love the idea myself) and why people shit all over Sheamus. They don't see a reason for Sheamus to be in his spot. Much like people questioning rookies starting over established players in sports.

And yeah... pretty much agree with Blade here. I can't believe I'm saying it but yes I agree with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back