Sheamus is the New #1 Contender for the WWE Title

Do you agree with WWE's decision to name Sheamus as #1 Contender

• Yes, the Raw Main Event is completely stale and they need a new face

• No, Sheamus is not ready for the Main Event and I don't take him seriously as a Main Eventer

Results are only viewable after voting.

Exist2Inspire51

Dark Match Winner
MODERATOR COMMENTS (Lord Sidious)

Keep in mind some topics to think about when making your arguments, that I really wish Exist2Inspire51 would have put in this rather bare and disappointing OP:

- Has Sheamus proven himself yet? Has he defeated enough WWE talent?

- Should Sheamus have gone through the Midcard Division and captured the US Title first, before being propelled into the Main Event?

- What do you think about guys like the Miz and Kofi Kingston getting bypassed by Sheamus? Don't they deserve this first? Or do they?

- Is he a better choice than Randy Orton or would you not mind seeing Orton back in it again?

- What about the IWC always demanding push's for young guys? Here's the chance, and now people are mad??

- Will he be taken seriously by the fans as a #1 Contender?

Also, this thread is primarily designed for discussing Sheamus as the #1 Contender. If you want to discuss the actual match, or match outcome, you should post those types of responses in the WWE PPV section in this thread.

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=79439

Thanks!

So the Celtic Warrior wins the battle royal and becomes the 1 contender against John Cena. Now is this too soon for Sheamus or is this the right thing for the Raw title picture right now?

Are you freaking kidding me?

How does Seamus get a title shot before DiBiase, Miz, Kofi or Morrison?

This is STUPID. Another one of Vince's monsters for SuperCena to destroy. Ugh......

The only possible bright side to this is that my dream scenario of Cena holding the title through the Rumble only to have the Rock return and win the rumble and set up Rock-Cena at Wrestlemania is still a possibility.

It seems like Miz and Morrison are being left behind and they're clearly the top two guys after the established main eventers, in my mind. The ONLY Guy who deserved a shot ahead of them was Kofi but he's getting massively elevated with Randy Orton right now so I don't mind that.

Where does all of this leave Miz and Morrison? I know they're holding the mid-tier titles but what are they doing not even stepping in the ring for a 3 hour RAW when they get two of the best reactions in the entire 'E'?

One more thing: We better get some development from Seamus in the next few weeks. What do we know about the guy? He's clearly bad, likes to hurt people and is Irish. Let's get some character dev going.

Though one thing good about this: We got to see Cena thrown through a table on RAW. That made me happy.

By the way, Body was great tonight. He and McMahon, while not up to their old standards by a long shot, were still significantly better than King and Cole.

I died a little bit inside when Sheamus won. I am all for creating new stars, but it really seems they skipped over alot of guys who would have been alot more credible, such as the names listed in the above posts.

To anyone that is bitching, or wants to bitch...SAVE IT. You want young guys pushed, and then bitch when it happens. Why does it have to be the guys you choose? How much do you really know about how the buisness works?

Sheamus is solid in the ring, and gets shit because he's squashing nobodies. Well, here's his chance to show he belongs. It's sink or swim time, and you're all tying rocks to his feet. How shocked would you be if he came out, and had a MOTY-type performance with Cena?

I'm not saying this is going to be the greatest thing ever, but at least give the guy a chance. This is as close to getting what you want as you're going to be.

There are atleast 15 wrestlers who are more deserving then Sheamus. I would have been more satisfied seeing Cena vs a Diva. Sheamus has been around for not even a half a year and he is main eventing the last ppv of the calender year? and the first ever TLC ppv? this does not make sense. Maybe it could have been Kofi, and it be made a Ladder match. But instead we have another situation that we had in 2007, where Cena faced Umaga. It is just another way to make Cena look the "monster slayer". This has officially turned me off from watching RAW for a very long time

Looks to me like a way to give Cena a different opponent, give Sheamus a little main event rub and see where it goes, plus have Cena retain, but Sheamus look strong and not be pinned or submit in the process.

Personally, I think having Ted DiBiase win the battle royal would have been better. It would have been a way to start the rumored split from Legacy and future fued with Randy Orton.

I like it It's something new and even if Sheamus doesn't win this match at Tlc, at least it gives Sheamus some exposure and maybe give him more heel heat. The only gripe of this for me is this all happen way two early for all this they could of at least wait a little bit longer thing.

I can't argue with it because at least we are seeing a new face in the main event for once. Cena is finally facing someone who's name isn't Orton, Michaels, or Triple H. It does seem really soon for Sheamus to be getting this push, but this is a new time in wrestling. WWE doesn't have the time to wait years to push new stars.

I was shocked that Swagger wasn't even in the battle royal. I think Swagger and Cena could have a great match together, just like they did months ago. Sheamus does have some vicious moves in the ring, but every time I look at him I'm reminded of other failed gimmicks such as Heidenrich and Snitsky.

Hopefully Sheamus can develop more and become a bigger star. I don't think him and Cena will have a bad match, it might actually surprise us. I kinda wanted Kofi to go over, but then it would leave Orton out of the picture. At least WWE is going in the right direction. We have to see Undertaker against Batista again but we get a fresh Cena/Sheamus feud.

NSL...I can see your beef...but Sheamus hasn't even been through the midcard yet. And are they really giving SHEAMUS the Lesnar push? I doubt.

I just think if anyone is getting a title shot, it's the Swaggers of the world. Swagger is going to be a bonafide star, but I don't know...maybe some guy who the casual fan has never heard of deserves the shot instead.

I mean...this can't be good for buyrates.

Hey Johnny, I was thinking of getting this TLC PPV...want to split it with me?
What's the main event?
Um...John Cena vs.....vs.....Sheamus?
Who the heck is Sheamus?
Dude, I don't know.
Meh, I'll pass.

NSL...it's good to push dudes...but how about someone with at least a little notoriety going.

BULLSHIT!!!!! Are you kidding me??!!!! This is is HUGE mistake on creative's part.

Now I know we've been bitching about new talent being pushed, but this way??? Shaemus hasn't done SHIT yet!! He hasn't had any titles, hasn't done anything. Why didn't they give it to Dibiase??? Then it'd be Marine v. Marine at TLC. That's better than what they did, and Ted has DONE something!!! This match WILL probably get BORING chants at the ppv, and I will definitely be bored with it. I'm thinking about not ordering it all together.

Wow, lot of hate for Seamus before he's given a chance.
I like this idea, a new face in the title picture, this has really shook things up. People are always complaining that the creative team are always doing the same thing, now they do something different and you all complain.
I just hope Seamus can step up as he has got potential, i'd hate to see him fall flat like we've seen with so many others in the past.

By the way, how great was Ventura tonight?

It has the feel of old PPVs when midcarders would get title shots...like Mankind at Mind Games...or Farooq at KOTR 97. But those guys ACTUALLY were established midcarders. Sheamus has been in WWE for about a hiccup. Survivor Series was his PPV debut, right?

The first time I saw Sheamus was a Live event here in New Zealand July 3rd ,maybe his debut I believe. 4 Months have passed and apparently Sheamus has proven to the higher ups that he has the niche to be a top star.
Hell Its a brilliant idea! Have somebody the fans hate ,and the wwe champion in a match..who would you cheer for? Its awesome.

Lets hope its not a quick 5 minute match though,let Sheamus show the fans what he is more capable off ,and not just squashing and powerhorsing his way through opponents. Perfect feud at the moment if you ask me.. The Powerhouse wwe champion versus the Powerhouse Bruiser Sheamus.

NSL...I can see your beef...but Sheamus hasn't even been through the midcard yet. And are they really giving SHEAMUS the Lesnar push? I doubt.

I just think if anyone is getting a title shot, it's the Swaggers of the world. Swagger is going to be a bonafide star, but I don't know...maybe some guy who the casual fan has never heard of deserves the shot instead.

I mean...this can't be good for buyrates.

Hey Johnny, I was thinking of getting this TLC PPV...want to split it with me?
What's the main event?
Um...John Cena vs.....vs.....Sheamus?
Who the heck is Sheamus?
Dude, I don't know.
Meh, I'll pass.

NSL...it's good to push dudes...but how about someone with at least a little notoriety going.

Why? So if Swagger v. Cena on PPV fails, his career is derailed? There's no risk here. With the card they have set, this can slide in, give them a good 15 minutes, and the show will go on. This won't close the show, and won't be the reason anyone buys the show, but it gives Cena something to do until the Rumble, and possibly move Sheamus up.

At least they won't be orange and oily.

BULLSHIT!!!!! Are you kidding me??!!!! This is is HUGE mistake on creative's part.

Now I know we've been bitching about new talent being pushed, but this way??? Shaemus hasn't done SHIT yet!! He hasn't had any titles, hasn't done anything. Why didn't they give it to Dibiase??? Then it'd be Marine v. Marine at TLC. That's better than what they did, and Ted has DONE something!!! This match WILL probably get BORING chants at the ppv, and I will definitely be bored with it. I'm thinking about not ordering it all together.

Except Cena's never been a Marine. And...Not ordering a PPV because of one match? I wonder how many people decided against ordering 'Mania because of a Divas match, or NoC for the same reason. Or how about Bragging Rights?

That'd be stupid...This is going to be a TLC match, so it will be awesome on all sorts of levels.

I agree with nightshiftloser. The amount of trollop i see about same old stuff on raw and now someone new is getting a BIG push, some just HAVE to disagree.

You are all looking at this as if you are surprised. Sheamus is no doubt about it, a future main eventer. Some of you are looking at this as hes getting a title shot before others, but if you look at it from a business point of view, it just makes sense. Sheamus is a monster right now, Thats how he is meant to be viewed. Now Cena will probably get the win, but this will only do good things for Sheamus' career.

Think about this

Miz gets a shot, loses, how does it help him? Doing a good job at the moment, and has already feuded with Cena in the past 4 months (yes i know that dont matter but obviously by tonight WWE wants to try something different. at least for now)

Morrison gets a shot, loses, how does it help him? Hes one of the hottest faces right now, Having him lose to Cena/Taker does nothing to help him IMO at this point in time

Kofi gets a shot, loses, how does it help him currently? He is already on a wave of momentum, why waste it by having him lose to Cena?

Sheamus gets a shot? loses? How does it help? Because he needs to be facing big stars to look convincing, which i think at the moment some Fans aren't because of his boring squash matches. By destroying Cena each week will convince fans that, wow....you know this guy might beat Cena. In which case Cena comes back at the PPV to beat him somehow, So Cena gets another little boost, and Sheamus gets the credibility.

You can't have Morrison, Kofi or Miz doing that, which is IMO what will happen.

Also look at the time of year it is? Soon Cena will be building up to WM. Would you be happy to see a quick one month feud for Kofi, Miz or Morrison? Just so they can get beat by Cena and destroy their momentum?

Um...If Swagger loses to Cena....like he would be supposed to...he goes back to the midcard. No big deal. Swagger will be back. Happened with Trips...happened with Austin...RVD...Edge...many of the greats.

If Sheamus loses to Cena...which he will...he goes...where? Does he go to ECW with Vladimir Kozlov? Because that is what happened to him...except...even HE was more established than Sheamus is.

Jesus Christ people, the WWE can't win with Raw.

When it's Cena vs. Orton/HHH/HBK, the main event is stale.

When it's Cena vs. Sheamus, the main event is boring... despite the fact that you people know nothing about the type of work Sheamus can do. So far, since debuting, he's been very impressive, doing some real good work on ECW. The WWE is trying to be unpredictable with the Raw main event scene, something that we've all wanted. Sheamus is showing an aptitude for the business that it takes years for some guys to pull off. He's doing the right things backstage, and he's doing the right things on camera, getting himself over as a major threat to anyone on the WWE roster.

It couldn't have been anyone else in that match unless you people were ready for yet another installment of Cena/Orton. And besides, Kofi and Orton still need their 1 on 1 match together that they haven't gotten yet.

Jack Swagger hasn't done anything in months. You can't build him back up in the course of one night.

This is a B PPV in which the gimmick is going to sell the card as much as the matches do. This gives the WWE an opportunity to take a risk and see how Sheamus can do if he's given the opportunity to run with the ball. Besides, it's not like this will be the main event. It will most likely be Undertaker and Batista who have had great matches with each other in the past.

Give Sheamus a chance. They have three weeks to build this match up. If it's three weeks of Sheamus destroying Cena like he did tonight, then that will do a lot to put Sheamus over. I bought him as a main event heel after that beatdown tonight.

Stop being Baron Von Smarkingtons and enjoy that the WWE is changing things up for once.

Why? So if Swagger v. Cena on PPV fails, his career is derailed? There's no risk here. With the card they have set, this can slide in, give them a good 15 minutes, and the show will go on. This won't close the show, and won't be the reason anyone buys the show, but it gives Cena something to do until the Rumble, and possibly move Sheamus up.

At least they won't be orange and oily.

Except Cena's never been a Marine. And...Not ordering a PPV because of one match? I wonder how many people decided against ordering 'Mania because of a Divas match, or NoC for the same reason. Or how about Bragging Rights?

That'd be stupid...This is going to be a TLC match, and with neither man having experienced one, so it will be new on all sorts of levels.

Cena beat Edge in TLC, fool. There was a big table spot. Mmmmm.

And still, this bodes even worse for Sheamus...as Cena has the upperhand in ALL ELEMENTS OF THE MATCH. Cena is...well...Cena. He's won TLC. Sheamus is Sheamus, and he hasn't done diddly.

This could be the most lopsided WW(F)E Championship match at Armageddon/TLC since Bossman/Big Show.

Well look at it this way. Sheamus has the size and look of somebody different.

Were not seeing Orton involved in the title picture because hes hot of the feud with Cena ,Kofis hot in a feud with Orton, Swagger needs to do more within his scene to get over with the crowd.

Now with MVP and Henry both are just looked at as wrestlers who are solidfied as a team with Power and a little bit of charisma and nothing that special.

Sheamus has taken out Noble,smacked around a ring bell man,kicked Lawler in the Head ,and was a winner at survivor series. He has something different for Raw which we need .If you dont like It I presume you work your way up with a degree in screen writing or within the Business and tell Mcmahon and his team that it sucks.

I wasn’t very happy when I found out Sheamus won the match and I’m still not happy. I don’t see what people see in him. I don’t find him entertaining at all so I really won’t have high expectations for his match against Cena.

However, I’m still going to watch the pay per view and I won’t skip watching this match. I want to see how the match turns out. Who knows, I might be wrong. He might actually be able to have a solid match with Cena that doesn’t bore me to tears. Like I said though, I won’t have high expectations going in.

you are all complaining that Seamus has not done anything to prove himself as a legit main eventer, thats what makes this interesting. We don't know what he's capable of, he might for all we know blow the roof off at TLC and then we will get, what you have all been asking for, ..............A SURPRISE!!!!!!

I'm very surprised by this move but in glad to see a new face in the main event. I mean we have all complained about wanting to see new faces well here we go. I have no problem with this. Let him get some time with Cena and how this goes. This is a good thing. I really didn't want the Kofi-Orton feud to end so this keeps it alive and a new main eventer could be born. Win win.

Well unlike all those other people you named, Sheamus will be staying on RAW if he loses and he would be pushed some more. There are differences especially because Triple H loves Sheamus like a brother! These two are sparring partners and work out together for like a long time now.

The Lesnar push? Brock vs Rock, Cena vs Sheamus. Ehh...Still doesnt seem likely but I expect Sheamus to lose the match in grand fashion but come out to beat the hell outta Cena the next night on RAW. I would expect this feud to last until Royal Rumble hopefully so we can see Cena drop the title and start the WM program with the Undertaker. If Sheamus is suppose to be like the Brock Lesnar of this day and age then WWE has a lot of work to do still. But dont count Sheamus out at this pay per view cuz watch when Sheamus magical wins the title and stuns the world lol. I bet that will get a load of laughs.

Cena beat Edge in TLC, fool. There was a big table spot. Mmmmm.

I stand corrected, and edited my post.

And still, this bodes even worse for Sheamus...as Cena has the upperhand in ALL ELEMENTS OF THE MATCH. Cena is...well...Cena. He's won TLC. Sheamus is Sheamus, and he hasn't done diddly.

This could be the most lopsided WW(F)E Championship match at Armageddon/TLC since Bossman/Big Show.

Really? You're better than this, Ricky. It's not going to be that bad, and this won't be a bad match. It'll be in the middle of the show, and give both men something to do. Sheamus won't win, but it at least sets him up for anything in the midcard, or even a feud along the lines of what Kofi has with Orton. No one threw up red flags when that started, so why start now?

Except for some lackluster title reigns, what did Kofi do to deserve the push? What about R-Truth on Smackdown? Or hell, Yoshi Tatsu on ECW?

If you want the WWE to push new guys, give it a chance. They can't push them all at once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back