• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Drew McIntyre is the New #1 Contender for the IC Title

Ambiguous Turd

Mid-Card Championship Winner
This information comes from the Observer:

- The current plan has WWE pushing Drew McIntyre to a run for the Intercontinental Championship and a program with current Champion John Morrison.

Being friends with Shawn Michaels and Triple H seems to have paid off, yet again. Not only is Triple H's workout buddy, Sheamus, shot all the way up from the bottom to the top of the Raw brand, and now embroiled in a program with John Cena ...

but the other favorite of the duo on Smackdown, Drew McIntyre, is apparently now slated to become involved in a program with John Morrison over the Intercontinental Championship ... now that Dolph Ziggler is seemingly being pushed to the back of the burner to fade into obscurity.

We have a thread over the comparisons between Sheamus and McIntyre in terms of both being "monster" characters, however what I would like to know in this thread is IF you approve of McIntyre being named the #1 Contender to the IC Title?

Has he accomplished enough to earn a program with Morrison at this point?

Do you feel McIntyre will make a more interesting challenger than Ziggler?

Do you think he will capture the title? Why or Why not?

What type of a Champion would McIntyre make?

Keep in mind that awarding Drew the Intercontinental Championship does have potential ramifications for what this means for the Smackdown roster. If McIntyre captures the title, this could seemingly be the time that Morrison gets propelled into the Main Event. I think the way to do this would be for a cheap finish. In that regard, Morrison doesn't look bad losing, whether it be due to a foreign object or some sort of interference .... and McIntyre still gets the rub from getting the title.

So there may very well be more good than bad that can come as a result of this.

Things to ponder ......

I'm definitely not surprised. They've given up on Ziggler, Escobar is shit, Knox hasn't been around for ages and CM Punk is too 'big' now for the Intercontinental title. That leaves McIntyre as the only real choice for Morrison's next challenger. And in fairness, it was only a matter of time I think. The guy has the support of Vince, Trips and HBK. It's a wonder he's only challenging for the IC title, actually...

To be quite honest, I'm somewhat looking forward to this feud. I think John Morrison is on a roll, the guy can have a good match with anyone right now, which is something WWE should be looking to take advantage of. If they want McIntyre as a future main eventer, he's gotta look good as a midcard heel, and a feud with Morrison will do that for him.

Personally I'm hoping for a nice long feud. And I'm really hoping that the blow-off match is at Wrestlemania 26, which would really be the cherry on top for the great year the Intercontinental title has had.

I am interested in Drew becoming no.1 contender, he is solid in the ring, not sure if he's over with everyone, but I like him and find him entertaining.

I definitely think McIntyre will make a more interesting challenger than Ziggler, I am a fan of Ziggler but I got bored of his feud with JoMo pretty quickly and that rivalry went on for WAY too long. I think Drew could make a feud with JoMo far more interesting as there seems to be alot more to come to his character.

Not sure whether Drew is ready to hold the title just yet but a decent feud with JoMo could really push him to higher mid-card status

this could be good IF (a really big if.) Morrison gets into the main event (or at least, something like winning money in the bank) i was at a house show over the weekend and it was morrison vs mcintyre and they had a VERY good match. i would LOVE to see it on PPV. mcintyre has a lot of potential, but he needs some SIGNATURE MOVES all he has is: punches on the ground and the underhook DDT ("Mac Attack" as i call it)

but to answer your questions.

1. nah, isn't he still in a feud with finlay?
2. yes, i like ziggler but he was dull after fight morrison FOR THE 367th TIME.
3. not too sure
4. see #3

I would like Ziggler to win the IC title, but if he's been chasing it for so long, and hasn't won it yet, then I see no reason to keep him in the title picture. I mean he's been chasing the title since freakin Rey Mysterio was the champ!! Anyway I think McIntyre would be a great champ. He's young, looks to have all the signs of a good heel, and is pretty good in the ring.

Come to think of it, I think McIntyre needs to be champ. Morrison's reign has somewhat become stale to me, and I think it wouldn't hurt to have McIntyre breathe some new life into the belt. Plus Morrison can go on to feud with CM Punk again. I would love to see that.

I personally think this is great.

I have been a fan of him since day one, even though I dont really know why. Though, I am also very high on Ziggler as well. I hope Dolph does not get tossed into the "thanks but no thanks" bin but I also would love to see McIntyre reach the main-event.

I am sure he can pull off some great matches with Morrison and I think he will make for a great champ with the I.C belt. But I think the real test will be once he wins the WHC gold.

It was a shame Ziggler didn't go over for the IC title, he should of and is now stuck, push come to shove, stick him in a program with Matt Hardy, he's not really doing much.

I'd be happy with Drew challenging for the title, big fan of the guy's look and style. If you've seen the matches between him and Sheamus from RQW and IWW in the UK, you'd see what potential people are talking about.

I think it be beneficial to Morrison in the same way losing the US was for Kofi. Keep Morrison strong like has been mentioned, by an unclean win. The have him go against Punk.

There's no won else really that suited to challenge apart from McIntrye, who isn't really feuding right now and Morrison doesn't need the title any longer really.

I'm a huge fan of this decision as I like what Drew has been packaged as up to this point.

Dolph was a bland developmental guy who flicked his hair, looked like every other pretty-boy type WWE brings in, and wrestled and talked in the most pedestrian, by-the-books manner imaginable... even by WWE standards. I've had him pegged since day one as a guy they'll play with for a while and get tired of. Looks like I was right again.

McIntyre, on the other hand, is something just different enough (but not too different). Sure, he's a big of a pretty-boy too. He's got some Orlando Bloom in there, don't pretend you don't see it. But the dude has been presented as a rought-and-tumble scrapped. A legit brawler. I loves me some brawlers, and I loves me a good scrap, and I think a scrapper like him has that "it" to rise to the task higher on the card. I'm very pleased with this decision as, aside from Morrison, McIntyre is the best prospect on SmackDown at the moment. Seeing the two lock horns should be good and I hope the two have some chemistry. The Intercontinental Championship has been re-established with a vengeance this year and I think that these these two guys can keep that up while even more new wrestlers are introduced and built up for down the road. Given the year the IC belt has had, I could easily see a new golden age for that strap in the near future if everything falls into place.

As for the Sheamus comparisons in the original post, I don't see it. As I said, McIntyre is a scrapper. Sheamus is a monster. They're completely different breeds. I hope I find this other thread you're talking about.

well it's a bit obvious that he was going to be the number 1 contender before the end of the year, and yes, he most likely will win the title. there are two reasons for this, first, VKM is in charge, and second, morrison has had the belt for a while now and I think he should jump up a step in the ladder to success. 4, I dont know

Well...I have mixed feelings about this. I don't really like McIntyre all that much, yet, but he's realistically the best contender aside from Matt Hardy. If McIntyre upsets Morrison, we could be seeing Morrison get a main event push, hopefully along with R-Truth.

I wish it wasn't McIntyre, but who knows? Maybe he'll prove himself to me in this program.

I assumed that this would be the direction that WWE would go as far as heel challengers go, now that Dolph Ziggler is likely not going to be getting anymore shots at the title. Do I think he will make a better contender than Dolph Ziggler? I'm a bit on the fence here for the simple fact that both men seem to or would seem to have a very strong desire to be Intercontinental Champion.

A few wins over R-Truth and Finlay should not skyrocket you into a title reign, but with DX and Vince McMahon on your side... you're good to go.

I, however, have a feeling that Drew McIntyre will make a better challenger than a champion, which is exactly what I said about Dolph Ziggler during the earlier stages of his Intercontinental Championship chase. Drew McIntyre just doesn't look like or seem like a good champion to me. He just may change my mind though.

I like this move propelling Mcintyre into the IC Title Picture, the only thing I hope is that they don't just have Morrison drop the belt to him out of no where, the way Morrison won it.

I'd like to see a nice fued develop between the two of them leading to a nice match either at the royal rumble or the feb. pay per view right before Wrestlemania.

Before tonight it seemed like Morrison was "unbeatable" as the IC Champion. Only loss he suffered that I can remember off the top of my head was to the miz at braggin' rights but of course non title match up. After smackdown tonight Drew McIntyre really made a statement showing he's a legit threat to Morrison for the title. Before tonight Morrison didn't have anyone in smackdown that was challenging him and now McIntyre is.

To answer Sidious questions:

1. Has he accomplished enough for challenge Morrison?
I don't think he's "accomplished" enough yet because he's only just beginning in the WWE and he hasn't even had one fued with R-Truth? so I have to say NO to that question, BUT do I think he's shown enough to prove that he's a worth opponent? Yes, hes a good Heel, the crowd hates him. The crowd loves Morrison and what better fued for the title than that.

2. Do I believe he's more interesting challenger than Ziggler?
Yes. I know Ziggler has a good following on these forums and a lot of people are unhappy that he's being pushed out but IMO Mcintyre draws a lot more heel heat right now than Ziggler. Ziggler has been waterdowned in the IC title picture only due to the fact he's had so many chances to win the title and he's lost everytime I think everyone's pretty much tired of it. McIntyre is a fresh face and even I want to see Morrison beat the crap out of him.

3. Do I think he will capture the title?
Yes, but I don't think he will capture it right off the bat. I think him and Morrison will have one title match where Morrison retains the title. After the showing at Smackdown tonight McIntyre became a legit threat to Morrison and if Morrison is going to drop the belt to him in order to get to the main event scene than Morrison is going to have to beat McIntyre to keep any crediablity. If he loses to him twice in a row than in my eyes he can't hang with Undertaker, Batista, Jericho, Etc.

Also what would make most sense to me is to have Morrison drop the belt to McIntyre just before Wrestlemania and have him compete in the money in the bank match. That give him 2 PPV to fued with him building up McIntyre and keeping crediability. Have him win the money in the bank match setting him up to step into the main event scene and he can drop the belt to McIntyre in the process.

4. What kind of Champ will he make?
I think he's going to make a good champ and give a new feel of the IC title. With Rey Mysterio holding the belt for awhile and Morrison holding it for the last 4 months you've essentially had nothing but babyfaces holding the IC title for the last year. Having a good heel for everyone to hate and root against will help propel some of these guys in the mid card who are faces back into the picture as legit guys. Overall I think it's a good thing for smackdown and the IC division for McIntyre to win the title.

That match tonight was greatness. It let both men work their styles, and they meshed really well together. Morrison has shown he can work with anyone, but more importantly, McIntyre showed he can hang with real competition.

This is one feud where I wouldn't hate a quick title change, if only to keep it exciting, and let them have some solid PPV matches.

I think this was a great move from Creative, as although I loves me some Dolph, this fresh challenger with a different style is really what Morrison needs at the moment. He needs to be against some of these guys to really build himself up, whilst at the same time, he can help and establish McIntyre as a threat. Watching the match on Smackdown, it's clear to see that they want this rivalry to be a bit more unpredictable rather than just a Morrison clean sweep.

McIntyre is a whole different kettle of fish from Ziggler, and he's much more devious to say the least. I will admit that I wasn't a fan of McIntyre when he debuted, but if he can put on some good performances, starting with TLC this Sunday, then he might change my mind. Awful hair though.

Being friends with Shawn Michaels and Triple H seems to have paid off, yet again.

Well, everything involved politicking in this world, especially in the WWE world. Drew McIntyre is easily the best newfie out there though. I'm even voting him rookie of the year.

but the other favorite of the duo on Smackdown, Drew McIntyre, is apparently now slated to become involved in a program with John Morrison

This will do wonderful things for Drew McIntyre's career. Not only will John Morrision be able to play the whole USA vs Scotland card amazingly, but he will also be able to put on wonderful matches with the great competitor that is Drew McIntyre. With his experience he will be getting from Morrison, will only make him better.

over the Intercontinental Championship

Thank goodness, I'm ready to see John Morrison move on from the Intercontinental Championship, and go on up to the upper-midcard to begin his pruning for the Main Event. If the WWE plays their cards right, by Night of Champions, or with wishful thinking, WrestleMania, John Morrison could be headlining these shows for the title.

Has he accomplished enough to earn a program with Morrison at this point?

Yes, what else is there to accomplish. Hes not being hot shotted into the title, like say John Cena was when he defeated Kurt Angle. The fans are way more into the Drew McIntyre character. (Maybe because hes Scottish)

Do you feel McIntyre will make a more interesting challenger than Ziggler?

Way more interesting. The croud is allready eating the hate out of Drew McIntyre's hands, if that doesn't say anything. What else does?

Do you think he will capture the title? Why or Why not?

I really hope so.

A) I'm ready for John Morrison in the Main Event

B) I'm ready for McIntyre to prove what hes really worth. Hes my favorite wrestler, and I'm wondering how well he will do when hes ontop of the mountain.

C) We're slating a spot for the future (Read my last paragraph)

D) McIntyre and Morrison put on some DANG good matches that we've seen thus thus. They work well together, and I really hope this feud lasts a good...2-3 months.

What type of a Champion would McIntyre make?

A great one, the SmackDown brand has been reigned by Faces far too long. Its time for Drew McIntyre to step in, and finally give the midcard babyfaces something to do.

Things to ponder ......

I'd also like to point out the fact that these two men are the future of the WWE. Starting this feud now, will make it to where 2-3 years down the road, when they're both on top. We'll be able to look back on their feud now, and allready know its going to be a good one. For once, the WWE is thinking ahead.

Drew McIntyre is in this position on his own merit, I would assume. I know that I have come late to the game of thought about him but I really like him. I watched him at Bragging Rights and thought that he looked comfortable in the ring with people who were much more seasoned than he was. I think that he has a great personality and his mic work is pretty damn good. Believe me, the man is doing a fantastic job to make you even understand him. Take his accent and then multiply it by around 100 and then you have my voice. His accent used to be a big sticking point for me and I never took him seriously. However, having listened to him quite a lot of times in the last couple of weeks, I am convinced that he is a pretty good talker.

His in-ring work is also pretty good to. I think that he has been mightily impressive since he joined the WWE and John Morrison is a perfect opponent for him. Having watched the promo between the two on Smackdown, I am convinced that they two of them will give us a great match at TLC. I also think that both of them will have a major test on their hands and the result is up in the air. I could see Morrison walking in champion and keeping the belt around his waist but I could also see McIntyre winning the match and I think it would be of no real surprise to see that happen. The key to making any feud believable is to get two competitors that really have some good chemistry. McIntyre is a great actor and he seems to be really into it every time. I am very much looking forward to seeing who wins the match and I think it will give us an insight into how serious WWE are about McIntyre when the result of the match is determined.

Dave is right. McIntyre has truly stepped up and has improved so much. I remember when he debuted I thought this guy would go nowhere but he has proved me wrong so far and I am a big fan of his. The back and forth between McIntyre and Morrison on Smackdown was one of the best promos I have seen lately and put both men over in a very entertaining way. I cannot wait for their upcoming match because I think it will be an excellent match between two future world champions.

I think he is ready and will be a great champion if or when he wins.He looked great at Survivor Series and his DDT finisher is great.it looks like it would really hurt.It great that he is getting a push,but poor ziggles has been droped and has dropped from superstar to superdud.Another WWE failure.

Thats just me!

It's funny that people are drawing parallels between Sheamus and Drew McIntyre, because they both come from the WWE training grounds in Florida, both held the FCW title (and feuded over the belt) and I found both painfully boring during that time. Now both are up on the main roster(s) and doing very well for themselves. It just goes to show that the WWE must see something in these guys that I don't. While I think both are well-built and have that "exotic appeal" of being from a foreign country, I don't find either particularly interesting.

Still, I don't see a single thing wrong with Drew McIntyre moving up the ladder into IC title contention. Maybe his matches with Morrison will be more entertaining than those he and Sheamus put on. (Watch them on YouTube.) He definitely has the look the WWE is so fond of (well, except for the mullet), which is half the battle, and he entered Smackdown! with Vince kayfabe calling him a "future World Champion," so that pretty much set the stage.

Right now, Smackdown! is pretty diminished of star-power, so it's time for WWE to create a new star to step up to the plate. They tried this with Ziggler, but his name alone told the story before it was written. Drew McIntyre, though, sounds like he could be a champion. I hope they allow him to develop as a character as well as an in-ring performer during this outing against Morrison.

Even more importantly, I hope we're all correct in seeing this as a terrific way to free Morrison of the mid-card and send him several steps ahead toward the WHC picture. That, if anything, is the very best part of this angle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back