NFL Thread- 2014-15

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
With mandatory minicamps just a few weeks away I figured it's time to start the official NFL thread for this upcoming season. Feel free to talk about the offseason (draft, free agency, etc), NFL schedule, predictions, training camp, preseason, and of course the season itself all throughout the year. Basically if you want to talk about something NFL related that doesn't warrant its own thread, keep it in here.

I think the Steelers will win the NFC North probably at 9-7 this year. The only team I don't give a chance to win is Cleveland and that's because their wide receiving corps suck since they dumped Little and Gordon could be out for the year. Ray Rice could be suspended for part of the year and he was awful last year, but I don't know if that was mainly him or a product of the offensive line. Cincinnati could take a step back since they lost both coordinators but injuries to their defense was the main problem.

Dear lord I'm going to have to limit myself on this thread or I'll create a monster in myself.

In regards to LJR's thoughts on the AFC North I have to agree. After being the team on the decline in their last two seasons's and dealing with more mediocrity than Steelers fans have seen since the 90's, Pittsburgh is finally back on the rise. They've addressed many of their issues this offseason with the exception of a long term fix at CB. Im not crazy about the Brice McCain pick up but it's for nothing more than depth. Hopefully 6th Rounder Shaq Richardson helps there. But they've got a gem at ILB in Shazier, the long desired big reciever in Bryant from Clemson, uber talented Stephon Tuitt and a straight steal in LT Wesley Johnson from Vanderbilt.

The Ravens are my mortal enemy but I cant help but respect them and the fact that every year they look like they'll crap out they come on strong. They've made decent additions but lost some big power in Oher and the Ray Rice thing is just kicking em while they're down. He should miss atleast three games if not four or five.

Browns have made great strides to improve this offseason but another team fuck up, Gordon just killed all the Browns hype and dont try to tell me Miles Austin fixes that. I'm actually caring about them for once though, atleast one of them and that's Brian Hoyer. I became a personal fan from his short time in Pittsburgh and any guy who studied under Brady AND Big Ben should be watched. He shined in his starts last year before injury and if Cleveland is smart they'll forget about starting Johnny Football and give Brian the chance.

Lastly those fuckin Bengals, they lost too much in the last few months. Michael Johnson and Anthony Collins are big losses, they got a guy I love in Darqueze Dennard but that wont be enough to help them. With Andy Dalton at the helm they're destined for more Romo-esqe early success and late season failure, only Andy does it in the first playoff appearance and Romo doesnt even get them there. :lmao:

I am a Steelers fan, JW.

What Cleveland has done or not done perplexes me. They have had a solid defense for the past few years but their offense has been lacking. Gordon and Cameron were great last year but their quarterback situation was mediocre. Hoyer did play well last year and I do expect him to win the starting job and we'll see how much pressure there is to play Manziel if Hoyer starts off terrible.

They knew Gordon was possibly going to be out for a while so they should have drafted a wide receiver. I would have taken Jordan Matthews with their second round. I watched that guy many times in the SEC and he was an absolute beast. A tandem of Gordon and Matthews would have been awesome. Ben Tate did good in Houston relieving Arian Foster but we will see how he does as the main guy.

Glad to know I have you, HHHeartbreak Kid and LSN with me. ;)

Yeah it's quite the situation, they're seemingly doing the right things to improve the team for a while like going after big names like Whitner and Dansby(although age is their enemy) and then they have the Gordon fiasco and it makes them look like idiots. Like you said they should've gone after a guy like Matthews, and outside the draft they have brought in Miles Austin while letting a guy like Greg Little go. Now I'm not saying he's a qualified replacement for a stud like Josh Gordon but you don't just let a guy like that walk out the door when your number one receiver is looking at a season long suspension.

Tate is a solid back when he's healthy, he seemed to be confident in carrying Arian's duty's last season but that's as long as he can stay on the field. Hopefully having the offseason to recover he'll be better off in the future, anything is better than their situation last year.

I'm an NFC North guy myself but something about the AFC North caught my eye recently. With the Browns releasing Greg Little, failing to draft a receiver, and with Josh Gordon likely suspended for the year, the Cleveland Browns may enter this season with the worst group of receivers in NFL history. The Jets receivers from last year still may have the strongest case but it's close. Forgetting tight end Jordan Cameron, the Browns top receivers on the roster as it stands now are Miles Austin, Nate Burleson, Anthony Armstrong, Earl Bennett, and Andrew Hawkins. It's a who's who of out of their prime veterans who even at their peak were never better than a second or third option and in some cases were struggling to make a roster every year. I wouldn't be surprised if only 2 or 3 of those 5 even end up making the roster.

To touch on the Browns talk it seems that Andrew Hawkins has stepped up as the closest thing they'll have to a number one for now. I dont know if I'd call that good news though because him being a team's number one just speaks to what a hole of shite they're in.

Almost went to the inaugural Raider-Niner charity basketball game in San Ramon last friday, it's about 10 minutes from my house and tickets were only 20 bucks but they sold out. From what I heard it was pretty cool, all the players stuck around for atleast an hour and every fan there got the chance to meet just about every player for pictures and autographs, apparently Aldon Smith was a total ass to the fans. I'm just pissed I didnt get to meet Sio Moore, he came to my work for the Play 60 thing last year and I was out sick :banghead:

More on the Raider front, DJ Hayden is on the sidelines again if yall hadnt heard. He rolled his ankle 2 weeks ago and it seemed like no big deal at the time but now it looks like he might be out of action longer and with how much he missed last year he needs to be on the field as much as possible. It sucks because he showed up with 15 more pounds of muscle and looked fucked set and ready to own the number one corner spot, and now hes in a damn walking boot.

Call me biased but I really do think the Raiders have made an incredible turn around this offseason with their Free Agent pick ups and their best draft maybe ever, I'm expecting it to roll over into more success when the season rolls around. That D is gonna be scary and Lamarr Woodley(if he stays healthy) is gonna be a sack machine at DE. With all these teams getting so good it's a bold statement but I see them as a playoff caliber team within two seasons, this one is too much of a test run but next year I see them as a legit threat.

Cleveland Browns talk? I'm not even sure what to think of them after they rid Chud after his first season. Given the injuries he delt with he should have been given a second chance.

We are exactly three weeks away from pre season football. Not a lot of news on the NFL front for now. A couple tidbits:

1. The Ravens have now had 5 players arrested this off season after the recent arrest of Jimmy Smith for disorderly conduct.

2. The HBO show "Hard Knocks" will feature the Atlanta Falcons training camp/pre season this year. Should be some good TV as they try to bounce back from last years abysmal season.

I am a Panthers fan and have been since they became an expansion team in '95. I'm weary but I am confident in Dave Gentleman.

As for the Falcons... Despite injuries they had a complete lack of a pass rush resulting in their opponents having the highest third down conversion rate in the league. Improved additions by the Falcons on both sides of the ball with Asamoah, Jackson, Soliai plus a solid draft class. Definitely a bounce back team this year.

How bout them Texans!!!

Just kidding.

Seriously they can only improve from the debacle that was last season.

All eyes are on Clowney to see if he is truly going to be a frachise player.

My only concern is Keenum. Yea he is a local boy from UH, but the dude can't read a pass rush to save his life.

The Chicago Bears Offense looks poised to repeat the downright fantastic year they had last season save for our Tight-end who feels the need to start body slamming his teammates. Ironically enough, all eyes are on defense to see if they either play like the same water bottle of turds they were last season, or if the rag tag group of defensive players we picked up in free agency can turn things around.

I'm a Raiders fan and after their week 1 pre-season game against the Vikings, it's a little hard to be optimistic about the upcoming season already. Matt Cassel made the 1st string defense look like a NCAA mid major conference team in his only drive, Carr and McGloin looked decent but not that impressive, Schaub is still struggling to recover from last year, and nearly every time something good happened on offense, a yellow flag made it's way onto the field. I thought the offseason was pretty good, easily better than most of our past years and although it's only the first game of the preseason, you can feel a dark cloud starting to form over Raider Nation. If we can get our stuff together for the regular season, I can legitimately see us winning up to 9 games.

As we near the final week of the preseason I figured it's time for some predictions on the season.

NFC East
Philadelphia (11-5)
New York Giants (8-8)
Dallas (7-9)
Washington (7-9)

The Eagles are easily the most complete team in this division. They have the best offense and an underrated defense. The Giants are definitely improved and they rarely have two bad seasons in a row but I still don't see them as a playoff team. The Cowboys have a great offense but their defense is absolutely atrocious. The Redskins I think will need a year before they make any noise under Jay Gruden. They added Desean Jackson in the offseason but for the most part I don't think the roister got any better.

NFC North
Green Bay (12-4)
Detroit(10-6)
Chicago (8-8)
Minnesota (6-10)

The Packers are the clear cut favorites here. The BJ Raji injury hurts but they are still the most complete team in the division. The Lions may have one of the most talented teams in the NFL and I think they will put together a good season under Jim Caldwell. The offense should be more efficient under Joe Lombardi and the defense should be more disciplined. The Bears have a scary offense but their defense is horrendous. The Vikings have some young talent but won't do much this year.

NFC South
New Orleans (11-5)
Carolina (9-7)
Atlanta (8-8)
Tampa Bay (5-11)

The Saints still have a crazy good offense and the defense should continue to show improvement. The Panthers overachieved last year and will come down to earth a little this season. The Falcons will bounce back but still don't have the defense to be a playoff team. Tampa Bay may be the worst team in the NFC this year.

NFC West
Seattle (12-4)
San Francisco (10-6)
Arizona (8-8)
St. Louis (6-10)

The Seahawks are still the best team in the NFC. The 49ers I think will struggle this year with the injuries they already have and the suspension to Aldon Smith. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them miss the playoffs even though I still have them as a Wild Card team. I think Arizona is another team that overachieved last year and the Rams are just in too tough a division.

AFC East
New England (11-5)
Miami (7-9)
Buffalo (7-9)
New York Jets (7-9)

The Patriots will once again win the division without much trouble. The other three teams I think are very close together. The Dolphins just seem too much like last years team. The Bills offense will need another year of growth to catch up to their defense and the Jets still don't have enough offensive talent.

AFC North
Cincinnati (11-5)
Baltimore (10-6)
Pittsburgh (8-8)
Cleveland (4-12)

The Bengals will once again be the favorites to win the division. The Ravens should have a bounce back year after their Super Bowl hangover last season. The Steelers defense is still too old for them to really make a playoff run. The Browns have another new coach and with the Josh Gordon suspension looming, have jack shit at receiver to go along with a shaky qb situation.

AFC South
Indianapolis (11-5)
Houston (8-8)
Tennessee (7-9)
Jacksonville (6-10)

This may be the worst division in football. The Colts should have no trouble winning the division again. The Texans will bounce back but still aren't a playoff team. The Titans are average and the Jags are improved but still don't have enough talent to make much noise.

AFC West
Denver (13-3)
San Diego (10-6)
Kansas City (8-8)
Oakland (4-12)

The Broncos should again win the division easily. Their offense is still stacked and the defense is greatly improved. San Diego will continue to improve and should have another playoff season. The Chiefs will take a little step back and miss out on the playoffs. The Raiders signed some guys that could make them a playoff team.... if this was 2009. Their qb situation is sketchy at best.

Playoff Predictions (I've predicted the last two Super Bowl Winners before the season started so we'll see if I can make it three in a row).

NFC
Wild Card
Detroit over Philadelphia
New Orleans over San Francisco

Divisional Round
Seattle over Detroit
Green Bay over New Orleans

Conference Championship
Seattle over Green Bay

AFC
Wild Card
Cincinnati over San Diego
Baltimore over Indianapolis

Divisional Round
Denver over Baltimore
New England over Cincinnati

Conference Championship
Denver over New England

Super Bowl
Denver over Seattle

And Sam Bradford is out for the year. Just when we start putting pieces in place. I'll be surprised if Bradford ever plays for the Rams again.

God damn I miss be spoiled in the early 2000s. At least I have my memories.

It will still be fun to watch the St. Louis defense this year though.

And Sam Bradford is out for the year. Just when we start putting pieces in place. I'll be surprised if Bradford ever plays for the Rams again.

God damn I miss be spoiled in the early 2000s. At least I have my memories.

It will still be fun to watch the St. Louis defense this year though.

Hate to break it to ya, Jake, but everyone outside of Eastern Mizzou (and probably more than a few in the area) saw it coming. Drew Magary summed it up perfectly last week when he did his Rams edition of Why Your Team Sucks 2014:

Your quarterback: Sam Bradfo… Really? Another year of him? Why keep doing this to yourselves, Rams? Bradford has played a full season once in the past three years. Jake Locker is less injury-prone. The Rams had 400 picks in the last three drafts thanks to the Redskins being idiots, and they didn't bring in anyone to challenge Bradford. Instead, Shaun Hill is your backup, which means Shaun Hill is your starter. They built a sports car and forgot to put the engine inside.

I know Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell will forever be the biggest QB busts ever, because of both their expense and their notoriously terrible work habits. But Bradford was the most expensive rookie in NFL history, the guy who compelled the NFL to force a rookie a wage scale down its players' throats, and he sucks. They paid $50 million to waste their time, and every year they keep Bradford around is another year-long delay of the rebuilding process.

Hate to break it to ya, Jake, but everyone outside of Eastern Mizzou (and probably more than a few in the area) saw it coming. Drew Magary summed it up perfectly last week when he did his Rams edition of Why Your Team Sucks 2014:

Yeah you're right. I don't know man, it's like being in a state of denial about your marriage; convincing yourself it's perfectly fine, when in reality, you're divorce papers are about to ring the doorbell and the ole lady is banging her boss.

The Rams will get theirselves a QB. However, whether or not they're still in St. Louis is another story...

One tragedy at a time, Jake. Plus you'll always have the Cardinals. Who knows, maybe a trade can land you guys Kirk Cousins or Ryan Mallett. And, like you said, that's a defense worth watching.

AFC Playoff Picks

1. Patriots (14-2)
2. Texans (12-4)
3. Broncos (11-5)
4. Ravens (10-6)
5. Colts (11-5)
6. Bengals (9-7)

NFC Playoff Picks

1. Seahawks (13-3)
2. Packers (12-4)
3. Saints (11-5)
4. Eagles (10-6)
5. 49ers (11-5)
6. Falcons (10-6)

It's a passing league and on paper, the Seahawks and Patriots have the best secondaries in the league.

Who wins the Super Bowl?

brady-e1389912735753.jpg

A total homer pick

You know I learned something interesting in my CRJ class today regarding NFL players. We were sort of going over gun control and the Plaxico Burress situation, and how Plax said that he needs to carry that gun because him being a football player with a multi million dollar contract makes him a big target.

But my professor mentioned that the NFL actually offers security to every one of it's players, and transportation. I mean I guess when you think about it of course they do, but it's just good reminder that athletes have a choice. I'm actually focusing more on the transportation than the security, because I get that some guys don't like to have someone following them around protecting them all the time.

But as far as transportation goes...that means there's no excuse for DUIs. Guys like Bell and Blount on the Steelers. They could've just called someone from the NFL up. Now would they get turned in for smoking marijuana to the league? Good question I don't know...I think it's more for alcohol than anything, but I think whoever would be driving them would respect them enough for making the choice to call them rather than drive themselves.

I'm not if the NFL charges them or not. If they do though I can't imagine it'd be a lot. I would guess that franchise offer the same types of services, but from what he says, and he's an active detective in a local jurisdiction here, the NFL provides security and they provide transportation. So really the players don't have any excuse.

I just thought that was interesting enough to share.

You know I learned something interesting in my CRJ class today regarding NFL players. We were sort of going over gun control and the Plaxico Burress situation, and how Plax said that he needs to carry that gun because him being a football player with a multi million dollar contract makes him a big target.

But my professor mentioned that the NFL actually offers security to every one of it's players, and transportation. I mean I guess when you think about it of course they do, but it's just good reminder that athletes have a choice. I'm actually focusing more on the transportation than the security, because I get that some guys don't like to have someone following them around protecting them all the time.

But as far as transportation goes...that means there's no excuse for DUIs. Guys like Bell and Blount on the Steelers. They could've just called someone from the NFL up. Now would they get turned in for smoking marijuana to the league? Good question I don't know...I think it's more for alcohol than anything, but I think whoever would be driving them would respect them enough for making the choice to call them rather than drive themselves.

I'm not if the NFL charges them or not. If they do though I can't imagine it'd be a lot. I would guess that franchise offer the same types of services, but from what he says, and he's an active detective in a local jurisdiction here, the NFL provides security and they provide transportation. So really the players don't have any excuse.

I just thought that was interesting enough to share.

They don't even need to call someone from the NFL up. In fact it's a confidential transportation service that runs 24 hours. The players have to pay for it. I've seen the cost as both $85 and $90 dollars and in some articles I had read you could upgrade the vehicle type for a higher fee but I don't know the validity of that.

The number is on the back of their union card so all they have to do is call the number and pay the bill. The NFL isn't told who uses the service and when. It's all confidential.

$90 bucks an hour is a hell of a lot better than DUI arrests and crashes and all that stuff. I'm sure these guys can afford it.

Also on a different topic it I wanted to acknowledge Sean Payton for buying the 100 jerseys with the money going to pediatric cancer research. Pretty nice of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back