NFL Thread - 2011-12

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
This is the official NFL thread. Talk about free agency, roster moves, training camps, pre season, regular season, playoffs, player news, team news, anything NFL related.

A new CBA seems imminent and I'm sick of waiting to talk about pro football. The owners have already agreed to the terms and once the players agree then the union re-certification process will begin and then the lockout will be lifted. About two months of free agency will have to be fit into less then a week so there will be a lot of action in a short time period. If all goes well then training camps will start on August 1st.

It feels like 5 years-not 5 months- since we last saw any football. I'm not sure I've wanted to see a preseason game as badly as I do now. At least we're going to get a full season.

As for moves, well, the Redskins should be at it again this free agency. Since there is going to be a minimum that teams have to spend (I want to say its 90%), the Redskins are going to have to go at it in free agency. I read an article on SI that the 'Skins will have about 30-35 million to spend. As long as they choose wisely I'll be happy, however unlikely that is. They need help on the D-Line as well as a QB and a WR. From what it sounds like, however, we are going to be stuck with Grossman and Beck at the QB spot. Considering that other teams will have plenty of money to throw at free agents, it will be intersting to see if the Redskins can land the top guys.

This Lockout business has seriously turned me off of ESPN for a while. I kept tuning in for the NBA Playoffs, but now all they feature is Baseball and other sports I don't care about. I really feel like I've been robbed off the NFL off season as a fan. Instead of hearing about free agent signings, rookies progressions, and starter battles I've been treated to a batch of legal jargon and other shit I couldn't care less about. I really just hope they clear this shit up soon because I want my god damn football.

Unfortunately, my Chiefs seem to be looking at a bit of a downer season. After benefiting a lot from a weak schedule they have one of the harder ones in the league this year. They have to take on the Pats, Jets, Colts, Steelers, Packers, and of course everyone in the AFC West which is always a tough outing.

I'm thinking of following the Jets as my secondary team this year. I always have to pick one since the Chiefs never get anywhere, and I've really become a fan of Rex Ryan so I'm hoping they can pull it out this year.

Once again being a hardcore Jets fan we have a pretty rough schedule in my opinion our 1st 4 games sound pretty rough since 3 of the 4 teams are coming off of decent seasons where it looks like they might be some sort of playoff contenders in Dallas,Texans,Raiders and Ravens. Dallas will be in top form with Romo, Texans are never easy we barely won their game last season. Raiders are showing signs of huge progression coming off an 8-8 season last year and the Ravens....well are the Ravens, always tough.

But im really concerned about the team itself. 3 of our Wideouts need to be signed, 2 of which are big time players in Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes. Both stepped up big time in the pressure situations and the whole "stone hands" bs on Braylon is clearly gone since he made huge plays in the heat.

Top it all off with Antonio Cromartie tell the team he wont give a "hometown discount" what a jackass. Hes not Revis or even close, hes a terrible tackler and his cover skills are decent to good, not great. He should be happy with what he gets and the fact that hes with a serious SuperBowl contender.

Last but not least we have Mark Sanchez coming off a slightly improved season with 16 tds to his 12ints. I expect with these receivers settling in Mark should put himself into the elite status and get at least more than 23 TD's this season. He can do it, hes shown time and time again flashes and rays of shining brilliance, especially during the post season. Its time for him to man up and show everyone he was worth the pick. I love Sanchez, I know hes gonna show up to kick some ass this season.

I could get into the schedule more in-depth but ive already wrote alot here so ill keep it on a week-by-week basis.

And the Lockout is Over!!!
Finally, after i believe 125 days its finally over!

Monday- Players can renegotiate with their own teams

Wednesday- Teams can begin speaking to unrestricted FA's

Saturday- the trading period begins.

And were only 2 weeks away from the preseason also, its pretty exciting. Teams only have 2 weeks to prepare for the preseason and about a month for the regular season. Being a Jets fan, i hope this week will be a fair and honorable one.......Goshdarnit Santonio, Braylon, Antonio C, lets not get selfish and stay with the Jets. Dont F us over

What's funny is that despite all the crazy talk, we didn't miss a damn thing. Well, we did miss those "voluntary" OTAs, but we nor the players gave a damn about. But there was too much money at stake for both sides to not get something done. Glad its taken care, and now the focus can be back to free agency (and the frenzy it will be) and how teams will do this season. Teams like SF will struggle because of not having the normal time to get the team up to speed on their new systems. Look for the regulars to dominate this season.

There will be a lot teams cutting veterans to get under the cap and the Ravens seem to be the first team to make public some of the players they will be releasing. They have announced they will be releasing Willis McGahee, Derrick Mason, and Todd Heap. All three were contributors last year but they're also expendable. I'm sure they will all be able to find a new team and in Derrick Mason's case he may even retire.

Honestly, at the moment I could care less. I hate when business has to be done like this. This hurts the rookies and all the young players in the league.

The Steelers shouldn't be bothered. They are full of veterans. So they should be prepared no matter what. I'm glad the sport is back. But I don't really give a shit. I may start to care when September gets closer but until then I don't care.

I do know FA is going to be huge. But once again I could care less because the Steelers are never active. We know how to build a team through drafting and what not. We don't need to over-pay for needs. With the cap and shit I'm going to have a blast watching teams over pay for Cromartie, Holmes, and Asomugha.

It sucks to see that teams will have to cut good players just to be careful about the lowered salary cap. Hearing that my Packers will have to release Nick Barnett, a solidly consistent LB for eight seasons now, is upsetting. Hopefully, with his contract off the books soon, no one else will get the axe. It's great that rookie wages will actually be regulated now, as guys were getting way more than they should've. Free Agency is starting late, but there's not any big names other than Asomugha and Hasselbeck. At least the season will happen now, without anything really being skipped over, other than the HoF Game, and who even cares about that?

Several big free agent signings and re-signings.

MATT HASSELBECK: Long time Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, one of the bigger names of this year's NFL free agency crop, has reportedly agreed to a multi-year deal with the Tennesee Titans. Hasselbeck will be the team's starter, after the Titans parted ways with Vince Young, and serve as mentor to QB Jake Locker, who was selected with the eighth overall choice of the 2011 draft.

ROBERT GALLERY: Left offensive guard reportedly agrees to terms with the Seahawks. The 31-year-old Gallery spent the first seven seasons of his career with the Raiders, who picked him with the second overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft. Gallery re-teams with Tom Cable, the ex-Raiders coach who now serves as the Seahawks' offensive line coach under Pete Carroll.

DONOVAN MCNABB: Looks like Donovan McNabb has found a new home as the Minnesota Vikings have agreed to trade a pair of low-round draft picks to aquire the veteran QB from the Washington Redskins. The trade is still pending on McNabb accepting new contract terms according to NFL.com. The 34-year old McNabb will step into the role vacated by the latest retirement of 41-year old Brett Favre.

TARVARIS JACKSON: Replacing Hasslebeck at QB in Seattle will be Tarvaris Jackson. Jackson has spent his five years in the league in Minnesota, and the last two years there as Favre's backup. Jackson's best year came in 2007, when he started in 12 games for the Vikings, and threw for 1,911 yards, 9 TDs and a dozen interceptions.

SANTONIO HOLMES: WR Santonio Holmes will remain a New York Jet, after agreeing on a five-year deal. Holmes was reportedly being pursued by several teams, most agressively the Washington Redskins.

PAUL POSLUSZNY: Paul Posluszny is heading to Jacksonville. The steady long-time Buffalo Bills middle linebacker agreed to a six-year deal with the Jaguars after a lengthy negotiation with the Bills.

MASON CROSBY: The Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers have solidified their kicking game by resigning PK Mason Crosby to a four-year deal. Crosby's career numbers are low, but affected by the fact that he kicks often at the kicker-unfriendly Lambeau Field.

DOUG FREE: A top priority for the Dallas Cowboys was resigning offensive lineman Doug Free, and they have met that goal Wednesday as Free agreed to $32 million over four years, according to the AP.

DEANGELO WILLIAMS: Coveted running back DeAngelo Williams is not going anywhere, as he's signed a 5-year, $43-million contract with the Carolina Panthers. The star back also received calls from the Giants and the Broncos.

JAKE DELHOMME: Cleveland Browns plan to release the veteran QB. The Browns signed the former Panthers Pro Bowl signal-caller to a two-year deal last season, and he won the starting job after a pre-season competition with Seneca Wallace. But an ankle injury sent Delhomme to the bench after five games, and he wasn't seen on the field again.

BARRY COFIELD: Veteran defensive lineman agrees to six-year deal averaging $6 million per annum with Washington Redskins. Cofield had 54 tackles and four sacks for the NFC East rival New York Giants last season, and is expected to play either nose tackle or defensive end in the Redskins' 3-4 defence.

OLINDO MARE: 2009 Pro Bowl kicker with the Seattle Seahawks has signed a four-year, $12 million deal with the Carolina Panthers. Mare's arrival signals the probable exit of John Kasay. The 41-year-old is the lone remaining member of the original 1995 Panthers team.

Also Miami are trying to get Broncos QB Kyle Orton (On a personal note as a Broncos fan ; Yes, Tim Tebow!), it's pretty certain a trade will get done.

So, Hasselback to the Titans and McNabb to the Vikings.

Thoughts?

There's nothing overly surprising about any of those moves but I'll give my thoughts on the qb moves.

McNabb going to Minnesota is perfect. People are really underrating McNabb right now and he has a great chance to succeed in Minnesota especially if they resign Sidney Rice. McNabb will be playing with the best running back he has ever had behind him and Minnesota could make some noise. This also gives Christian Ponder a chance to develop.

Hasselbeck to Tennessee is great for the Titans. Locker is not at all ready to start and Hasselbeck is a solid veteran.

Tarvaris Jackson to Seattle is another solid move. They didn't want to shell out the cash for Hasselbeck and they needed a guy with some talent who could compete for the starting job. I expect Matt Leinart to join the team soon and there will be a three way battle for the starting qb job.

The Chargers have agreed to terms with Eric Weddle, which will make him the highest paid safety in NFL history. It's a five-year, $40 million contract with $19 million guaranteed with a $13 million signing bonus. He's a good player, but I'm not sure if I would say he is that good. I was hoping the Jags would sign him, but oh well. Hopefully we can get someone like Dawan Landry to fill in our desperate need for safety. We have the money to spend to, the Jags had to spend like $30 million to get to the cap minimum.

I'm also ecstatic the Jags picked up Paul Posluszny. Now, I just can't wait to learn how to actually pronounce his last name. Having him at middle and Daryl Smith who I think will be returning to strong side linebacker, I think the Jags got a good linebacker corps right there. Add in one of the many guys who had a chance to play weak side linebacker last year, or pick up someone like Clint Sessions and I am thrilled with the linebacker corps after it being a major disappointment last season.

I'm also ecstatic the Jags picked up Paul Posluszny. Now, I just can't wait to learn how to actually pronounce his last name.
Poz (like Mozz)-Luzz (rhymes with buzz)-Knee.

I lived in Central Pennsylvania when he was at Penn State and was friends with many a Bills fans during his stint in Buffalo. Most of the Bills fans friends had Poz jerseys. Hence, I can say his name without problem.

On another note, the Jets resigned Santonio Holmes to a 5 year, $50 million deal ($24 Million guaranteed). AMAZING signing for the Jets. They needed a #1 receiver (and to keep him or Edwards). Santonio is exactly that, and moreso then just a #1 receiver, he also not only wants the ball with the game on the line, but he also catches the ball with the game on the line. This move all but signals the end of Braylon Edwards on the Jets, and I'm not all that sad. I knew it would be Braylon or Santonio, and I'd rather have Santonio.

On another Jets note, the Jets reportedly have made a "substantial" offer to Nnamdi Asomugha. Revis and Nnamdi on the same team? Hell. Fucking. Yes.

So the Skins finally shipped Albert Haynesworth for a 5th round pick to the New England Patriots. Saw Schefter tweet it not that long ago. Haynesworth may be lazy and not worth the time, but Belicheck makes things like this work. Question is where will Haynesworth play? Will he serve as the backup to Vince Wilfork or will he get a starting job at the DE spot? With the mix and matches the Pats run I don't think Haynesworth will have to worry about playing time unless he acts up like he did in Washington.

I don't read into kickers so i didn't notice this first. Apparently according to a radio show I listen to, the Panthers signed a kicker for a 12 million dollar four year contract. I think it's absurd when instead of using that money to get pieces they are giving it all to a kicker.

So I ask you is any kicker worth this much?

So the Skins finally shipped Albert Haynesworth for a 5th round pick to the New England Patriots. Saw Schefter tweet it not that long ago. Haynesworth may be lazy and not worth the time, but Belicheck makes things like this work.

Any idea how much they are signing him for? Funny how the Redskins gave so much for him and he gets traded for a fifth round pick. I think Belicheck might be able to get Big Al back to a half decent player again, no pro bowler but a piece nonetheless.
On another Jets note, the Jets reportedly have made a "substantial" offer to Nnamdi Asomugha. Revis and Nnamdi on the same team? Hell. Fucking. Yes.

It would be impossible for any team to pass the ball.

Veteran WR Sidney Rice joined the Minnesota-to-Seattle exodus Wednesday, agreeing to a five-year, $41 million deal with the Seahawks, according to a league source.

The deal contains $18.5 million guaranteed and, with $3 million in Pro Bowl escalators, can grow to $44 million in total value.

Rice’s deal comes one day after former Vikings QB Tarvaris Jackson agreed to a contract with the Seahawks, who have ex-Minnesota offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell on staff.

Rice, a fifth-year pro, set career highs in receptions (83), yards (1,312) and touchdowns (eight) in 2009, but he endured an injury-plagued 2010 season, catching just 17 passes for 280 yards and two TDs.

Tarvaris Jackson to Seattle is another solid move. They didn't want to shell out the cash for Hasselbeck and they needed a guy with some talent who could compete for the starting job. I expect Matt Leinart to join the team soon and there will be a three way battle for the starting qb job.

Leinart ended up signing with the Texans again. But I don't understand what the impact getting Tavaris Jackson in Seattle is. The reason there's a QB competition there now is because he's only about as good as their other guy, Whitehurst. And that's not saying much. His only advantage is he's got experience with Rice. But again, he didn't do much with Rice when he had him so I don't even understand why they spent so much on Rice when their QB situation isn't very good. I mean, we're talking about a QB who was probably going to be replaced by Sage Rosenfels before Favre came to town...

I don't read into kickers so i didn't notice this first. Apparently according to a radio show I listen to, the Panthers signed a kicker for a 12 million dollar four year contract. I think it's absurd when instead of using that money to get pieces they are giving it all to a kicker.

So I ask you is any kicker worth this much?

That's only 3 mill a year which is chump change to an NFL franchise. Kickers are a very important part to a team and it often comes down to the kicker in game deciding situations. If you are a good kicker then making around 3 mill a year has started to become the norm. The kicker they signed is Olindo Mare who has always proven to at least be solid and his last 3 years in Seattle have been very good.

With the Sidney Rice thing that is big for Seattle and not so good for Minnesota. The Seahawks won the division last year but still needed to add a lot of talent and they have done a decent job thus far. Rice is a legitimate number one receiver and whoever wins that starting qb job will be looking for him a lot. Minnesota now needs to be on the market to get a number one wide out.

Leinart ended up signing with the Texans again. But I don't understand what the impact getting Tavaris Jackson in Seattle is.

They got him for cheap and while he has struggled at times the talent is still there. It also helps that Darrell Bevell is the Seahawks O coordinator. He is a former college qb and has been a qb coach in the NFL. He is also Jackson's former offensive coordinator in Minnesota.

The reason there's a QB competition there now is because he's only about as good as their other guy, Whitehurst. And that's not saying much. His only advantage is he's got experience with Rice. But again, he didn't do much with Rice when he had him so I don't even understand why they spent so much on Rice when their QB situation isn't very good.

They signed Sidney Rice because, like you said, their qb situation isn't that great. Nothing helps an average qb more then a number one receiver. Seattle didn't have one last year and now they do with Sidney Rice. You want the most talent you can get around an average qb so Seattle is getting that talent.

So the Skins finally shipped Albert Haynesworth for a 5th round pick to the New England Patriots. Saw Schefter tweet it not that long ago. Haynesworth may be lazy and not worth the time, but Belicheck makes things like this work. Question is where will Haynesworth play? Will he serve as the backup to Vince Wilfork or will he get a starting job at the DE spot? With the mix and matches the Pats run I don't think Haynesworth will have to worry about playing time unless he acts up like he did in Washington.

I'm damn happy he's gone. I could care less what they got for him, they just needed to get him out. Trading him was important, because if they just released him he could have gone to Philly, and that would have sucked.

As far as what position he will play, I have a feeling he's going to play tackle. Their pass rush was crap last year, so Haynesworth is going to be on the line with Wilfork. Belicheck knows how to play these guys so I'm sure he'll have this figured out. And considering how cheap they got him, I'm sure they would have no issues letting him go if he acts up. Although I'm sure we will see him on his best behavior.

Ah yeah. The Chiefs picked up Steve Breaston from Arizona and I couldn't be happier. For fucking years now we've been severely lacking in the Wide Receiver department. Dwayne Bowe is a beast, but he's been playing with guys who were just pretty much interchangeable with guys on the practice squad. Now we have a solid 1 in Bowe, a solid 2 in Breaston, and a rookie with some potential in Baldwin.

It's still going to be an uphill battle, but damn if we didn't just enhance our chances a bit. Here's to hoping we can knock off some of the big dogs we have to take on this year.

First a couple side notes. Breaston to the Chiefs is a great move. He is an underrated receiver who can play the 2, play in the slot, and be an effective returner. Reggie Bush is going to the Dolphins which is good for both teams. He needed a change of scenery and the Dolphins needed a backup and third down back. He will be a nice weapon for Miami. The Saints have a plethora of running backs so losing Bush is nothing.

Now onto the big trade. The Cardinals traded Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round pick to the Eagles for Kevin Kolb. Amazing trade for Philly and completely shitty trade for the Cardinals. Philly gets a starting caliber young corner who is only only going to get better AND a second round pick. The Cardinals are getting an unproven qb who hasn't shown he can be a star. At best I see Kolb as just a solid starter. They gave up too much for him.

It also doesn't help that Kolb isn't going to have much help. Larry Fitzgerald is one of the best receivers in the game but he is the only good receiver they have. Their running game is ok with Beanie Wells but nothing spectacular. They also have an awful defense that just got worse by losing DRC. With the defense being that bad Kolb will be looked at to win games which isn't easy for a guy becoming a full time starter for the first time.

Another reason for this so called expensive kicker contract is probably due to Carolina needing to reach the money amount each team needs to spend. It probably explains them giving Charles Johnson and DeAngelo Williams big contracts. Each team needs to spend a certain amount and if I'm not mistaken the Panthers were pretty far away from that minimum and needed to reach it.

I like Kolb, always have. So I like the move though I think they gave up a bit much. But if Kolb starts winning them games it is all worth it. Playing in the NFC West certainly helps and it may help keep the Cards in the playoff hunt due to the division. Fitz will definitely help him out and the Cards love Stephen Williams as the number two guy next to Fitz. Win-win really for both teams. Eagles get DB help and the Cards get what could be their franchise QB.

I don't mind the Kolb trade too much. Yeah, Arizona probably gave up a bit too much but without a QB they weren't winning anything anyway. Derek Anderson certainly wasn't the answer and the only QBs on the market were Kolb and Orton. Denver wanted a lot more than Philly did, so they just went with the lesser of 2 evils.

I definitely agree that the guy is unproven, but something they see leads them to believe that he is the guy that will lead them to success in the future. I'm going to go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt right now. I've eaten crow way too many times when it comes to calling something a bust before it has time to develop so I'm just going to sit back and watch what happens before I declare this a bad move already. With the NFC West being as abysmal as it is and 8 wins will probably give you the division, there's a decent chance that this could be a good move for the Cards.

Hoping my Bucs can improve the O-line, get a good WR, LB and CB. They're $52 mil under the cap so plenty of room to work with.

The Cards best success came with a veteran Kurt Warner at qb. They've never had much success evaluating young talent at the qb position. I believe getting a veteran or more proven qb like Kyle Orton would have been the better way to go. I don't like Orton that much either but still better then Kolb. Kolb may end up being the right choice but I'm not seeing it at all. I think the Cardinals are just drinking the Kool-Aid. Considering what they gave up I would have rather had McNabb, Orton, or Hasselbeck. McNabb and Hasselbeck could have been gotten for virtually nothing and Orton could have been gotten for less as well. Shit, I may have even gone for Vince Young providing he could prove to me he wasn't a headcase. At least VY is a proven winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back