NFL Thread - 2012-13

I love the move for the Niners, and for the Chiefs.

The Niners get a bunch of picks and can potentially try and offer 31 and 34 for Revis, which would fill a position of desperate need with the best player at the position. As a Jets fan, I would want more then that, either by getting SFs first this year and next year, OR by getting a higher first round pick (lets face it, Revis is worth more then the 31st pick in the draft, even if he's coming off a torn ACL).

For the Chiefs, they get a major upgrade at the QB position by getting the best available player (either in free agency, on the trade block, or in the draft). However, I think giving up pick 34 this year and a 3rd (that can escalate to a 2nd) next year is a bit much. Just 34 should have been able to do it, or 34 and a 4th or 5th rounder.

The Niners got more then they should have for a guy everyone knew they were dumping, the Chiefs improved at the most important position, and the Niners can flip this pick for something they actually need, so this is a win-win-win.

Alex Smith has always been a quality QB. The fact that he had a different OC every season didn't help things. But with Reid calling the plays and some firepower on offense, Smith can make the Chiefs, dare I say, good.

Smith is miles better than Cassel. Better Football IQ, better accuracy, and better pocket presence. The Chiefs are going to need to go to work in this draft to help Alex Smith. They won't win the division because Peyton Manning's there, but at least they can fight for a wild card spot.

Niners better hope Smith doesn't go to the Cardinals in the near future. Cards are one decent QB away from becoming a serious threat to the Niners and Seahawks.

I thought Arizona would have been the best fit for Alex Smith, but the 49ers had to know that as well and there was no way in hell they were going to trade him to a division rival who's a game managing QB away from being a serious contender.

As far as KC.... could go either way. Andy Reid is too pass happy and might get Smith in a whole lot of trouble because of that fact, but maybe Smith is now at the point where he can be a consistent passer and not simply a game manager. I sincerely doubt it, but you never know in today's QB friendly league.

Alex Smith has always been a quality QB. The fact that he had a different OC every season didn't help things. But with Reid calling the plays and some firepower on offense, Smith can make the Chiefs, dare I say, good.

He hasn't always been a Quality QB. The first 7 years of his career he was garbage and even last year he was by far the biggest question on the team. 17 TDs, 5 INTs, and less than 3,500 yards passing does not make a Franchise QB. You can win with him, he's not Mark Sanchez bad, and it definitely wasn't a bad trade considering what the Chiefs gave up.

Smith is miles better than Cassel. Better Football IQ, better accuracy, and better pocket presence.

He's not better than Cassel. Other than a bunch of buzzwords you've heard Trent Dilfer say on ESPN, I see no reason anyone could think that. Cassel has never had the same OC for 2 years in a row either but at least he managed to have 1 successful year and it didn't take 7 years for it to happen. Not to mention Cassel's one good year was better statistically and came while playing for a much worse team than Smith was on.

The Chiefs are going to need to go to work in this draft to help Alex Smith. They won't win the division because Peyton Manning's there, but at least they can fight for a wild card spot.

Dwayne Bowe and the defensive and offensive fronts should be the main concern.

Niners better hope Smith doesn't go to the Cardinals in the near future. Cards are one decent QB away from becoming a serious threat to the Niners and Seahawks.

That is just simply not true. Have you ever watched Arizona play? Philadelphia get all the flack for having a shitty O-line but Arizona's was just as bad if not worse. They also have nothing at Running back. They have one piece on offense, Larry Fitzgerald. They need to find 10 other guys even worthy of being a starter, not just a QB. The defense is coming along though. That's what happens when you're picking near the top of the draft every year.

Alex Smith is a better option then Mike Glennon, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Bray, etc, and that is who the Chiefs would have taken with their second round pick so the trade is good. Smith is better then any other Chiefs qb since Trent Green and has put up great numbers the last couple years, albeit on a much superior team. Also, Andy Reid is great with quarterbacks. If he and his offense can make the likes of Koy Detmer and AJ Feely look like starting caliber quarterbacks then Alex Smith will do just fine.

He hasn't always been a Quality QB. The first 7 years of his career he was garbage and even last year he was by far the biggest question on the team. 17 TDs, 5 INTs, and less than 3,500 yards passing does not make a Franchise QB. You can win with him, he's not Mark Sanchez bad, and it definitely wasn't a bad trade considering what the Chiefs gave up.

Changing offensive coordinators, head coaches and changing the way you play every year can have an effect on you. When he finally had a head coach competent enough, look how well he produced.

Besides, he's a game manager. It's not his job to be Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning and throw for 4,000 yards and 33 TDs. He's good at what he does.

He's not better than Cassel. Other than a bunch of buzzwords you've heard Trent Dilfer say on ESPN, I see no reason anyone could think that. Cassel has never had the same OC for 2 years in a row either but at least he managed to have 1 successful year and it didn't take 7 years for it to happen. Not to mention Cassel's one good year was better statistically and came while playing for a much worse team than Smith was on.

Cassel had one fluke year playing in KC when they had a cake schedule, San Diego was on the decline, Oakland was horrible and Denver was just as bad. When they finally faced a legit team like Baltimore, they got blown out by 23 points. The way KC is right now proves that.

Alex Smith is the best option KC has right now. I would trust my team with Alex Smith before Matt Cassel.

Dwayne Bowe and the defensive and offensive fronts should be the main concern.

Agreed. Some help for Dwayne Bowe would be nice.

That is just simply not true. Have you ever watched Arizona play? Philadelphia get all the flack for having a shitty O-line but Arizona's was just as bad if not worse. They also have nothing at Running back. They have one piece on offense, Larry Fitzgerald. They need to find 10 other guys even worthy of being a starter, not just a QB. The defense is coming along though. That's what happens when you're picking near the top of the draft every year.

I don't know about worse. Philly's was downright horrible. But if the Cards had a competent QB who didn't need to hold the ball for a long time, they'd be fine.

As far as their offense goes, Andre Roberts, Michael Floyd, and Early Doucet are solid compliments to Fitzgerald. It all depends on how they implement them into the gameplan. If Beanie is healthy, he can improve their ground game. Stephens-Howling even did a good job picking up the slack. They started hot and cooled off because of some bad QB play, some bad plays on defense, and just overall poor offensive execution.

You give them Alex Smith for one season. They could win the division. I'm willing to bet the farm on that one.

I hate the term "game manager". That's like a dressed up way of saying "below average but doesn't make mistakes".

We really need a better term.

@AdamSchefter said:
David Garrard "anticipates putting a deal together" with Jets once they can work through cap issues, per source. "Both sides are feeling good about a possible deal," said source.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't been like 2 yrs., if not longer, since Garrard has even stepped on a field? I really don't know how you feel good about signing this guy to a deal, even as a backup QB. I think I'd rather have Tebow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back