NFL Thread - 2012-13

Any Cowboys who are dreaming Superbowl pump the brakes sucka, last night's game had positives and negatives for both team.Now the second half came down to the Rushing game.The Giants could not stop Murray and with the fear of Murray to break one, it opened up the passing lanes for Austin/Witten/Bryant and Ogletree.Wow 2 TD's for Ogletree the Cowboys found a gem there.Don't get too excited as this might be the biggest performance of the season for him, the NFL is just like that.The Cowboys at time looked unstoppable and we have seen them do this before.For years this has happened and I would say if the Cowboys want to win a Wild Card spot or the Division they better get that great production like last night the whole section not in spurts.As for the Giants last night, they finally realized losing Jacobs and Manningham did effect them! Jacobs especially as Bradshaw is not a feature back as he saw the Cowboys knock his ass around the whole night.Before Jacobs could be plugged into the game and wham he would smash defenders just like that.If I am a Cowboys fan right now be happy by this win, if I am a Giants fan be very afraid the blue print is there, they better make some adjustments.

Giants over the last few years don't go into panicked mode. They didn't jump to try to sign a marquee free agent after Tiki Barber retired. They couldn't come to am agreement on a contract restructure for Brandon Jacobs and with emergence of Victor Cruz they didn't need Manningham - his numbers were dismal last season and only showed up big in the Superbowl. Remember teams know their talent better than the fans. And it was only the FIRST game.

Since week 1 is officially over, I thought I'd give some quick thoughts...

Sean Payton was deeply missed this week. The Saints were beyond horrible on both sides of the ball; I could not have been more disappointed in them. That said, last year they lost their first game of the season by 8 and still finished 13-3, so my optimism isn't completely gone. If they lose to the Panthers this week though, panic mode will be in full affect.

RG3 is the real deal. I expected him to play really well, but not lights out. He was unbelievable. I was also impressed with the 'Skins running game, receiving core, and defense. That's actually one hell of a team and I know it was just week 1, but right now I'm thinking these guys have a serious shot at winning the East. I'll be rooting for them do so, anyway.

The 49ers/Packers game was the shocker of the weekend for me. I thought the Pack were going to light them up, playing at home, having something to prove after how their last season ended. But man... San Fran looked tremendous. There was some horrible officiating in the game, but it didn't matter, the 49ers were simply the better team. I'm very much looking forward to seeing them play Detroit next week. Packers/Bears is another great game I'm looking forward to.

Speaking of the Bears, a lot of people seemed surprised with their offensive play, but no me. I knew Cutler and Marshall were going to come in right away and look unstoppable. Chicago FINALLY has an offense as good as their defense. That's a scary thought for everybody else in the NFC. I actually have them beating Green Bay Thursday. Can't wait to see it.

Atlanta looked tremendous, unfortunately. As much as I hate them, I can't take anything away from those fuckers.

The Jets also looked surprisingly fantastic as well. I doubt that kind of offensive play will last long though.

Lions/Rams was a great game. A lot of people seemed surprised by how competitive St. Louis was in that game, but not me. I knew Jeff Fisher would shape that team up and at the very least make them competitive. St. Louis fans have a lot to be excited about. And Detroit fans should not be discouraged. We'll really see what the Lions are made of against San Francisco.

Peyton Manning looked much better than I ever expected. He was playing against a banged up Steelers D, but still... that was a damn impressive performance. The Steelers will bounce back I'm sure, but Big Ben needs to get some fucking protection.

And Baltimore's offense looked incredible last night, but they did last year in week 1 as well, so I'm not putting much stock into it. If Joe Flacco can play that way consistently though, then they're definitely going to be a tough team to beat.

Atlanta always looks good, but around week 17 they realize they're only a regular season team.

Kudos to Washington in their victory, their 3 headed attack in the backfield, RG3 playing well and Washington finally realizing Santana Moss hadn't been a #1 since he was in New York.

The two most impressive teams in week one were San Francisco and Baltimore and they just so happen to be my Super Bowl prediction for this season. The Niners went to Lambeau and controlled a Packers team that went 15-1 last season and was looking to bounce back after an early playoff exit. Alex Smith and Frank Gore both played well, the defense was great as usual, and Randy Moss caught a td pass.

The Ravens at home absolutely dismantled the Bengals who were a playoff team last season. Joe Flacco looked better then I have ever seen him and the defense was what we've come accustomed to. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed did what they always do and the rest of the defense stepped up with Terrell Suggs still out.

Sucks that N. Burelson will be out for the year, but it should give Ryan Broyles a chance to get in there. They drafted Broyles second overall, and we saw him get in there and even catch a touchdown on Monday. One thing I don't like about him is the dude is really small, and he got injured in College a lot. At that size, and not even staying healthy in college, he might shatter fast after getting hit in the NFL.

I hope he holds up though. I like him, and he wouldn't be bad picking up as a fantasy option if you had Burelson and are suffering from his injury.

The Detroit Lions made a minor deal before Thursday's trading deadline, acquiring speedy wide receiver Mike Thomas from the Jacksonville Jaguars. The terms of the deal are still unknown.

The 5-foot-8, 198-pound Thomas had a career year for the Jaguars in 2010, catching 66 passes for 820 yards and four touchdowns.

His production slid in 2011 with rookie quarterback Blaine Gabbert at the helm. Thomas has only caught 12 passes this season for 80 yards.

Thomas works primary out of the slot. He can be a downfield threat or pick up yardage after the catch working short routes underneath. He's also considered an exceptional blocker despite his smaller frame.

Thomas has been the Jaguars' primary punt returner the past four seasons. He averaged better than 10 yards per return, including a 78-yard touchdown, in 2010. He hasn't been used on kickoffs much since his rookie year in 2009.

Detroit kick returner Stefan Logan has been under fire in recent weeks after three fumbles.

To clear room on the roster, the Lions released cornerback Justin Miller.

A move done only because of Burlesons injury, I have to say I don't mind it as much as some people are making it out to be. While you'd like to just roll with Calvin/Titus/Broyles as your 3, you need some depth and Thomas has proven to be a productive receiver when he hasn't had Gabbert throwing to him. Plus if he gets any chance to be involved in the return game it will be a plus. Logan has been a mess these past few years and I'd have to say his days are numbered as a Lion. Plus, his contract isn't too bad since Jacksonville paid off most of it. I believe it was a 6th rounder we gave up, so I'd expect Thomas to split time with Broyles at the slot soon (maybe not this week, but once he gets the playbook down more) and be somewhat productive. Needed a change of scenery and the Lions were lacking some depth at WR after Nate went down.

Kaepernick was pretty impressive tonight. He's had a little bit of experience, but to make your first start against Chicago and play that well? I know it's nothing to get overly excited about, I doubt there will really be any controversy in San Fran, but it just goes to show you how deep San Fran is at pretty much every position.

11 sacks on Greg McElroy. Even as a Tebow supporter I can't blame McElroy for the Jets today.

It seems to me that if the Jets were to just forfeit their last game, it'd probably be the best thing for them.

I'd say that for a good portion of the non-contenders. My Lions included :(. Don't want to lose out hope on Schwartz yet, but some changes gotta be made in the offseason. Logan has to be gone. KVB has to be gone. Young has to be gone. Peterman should be gone. Raiola I'd prefer gone. A pass rusher needs to be added. Might need to draft a speed back to fill in Bests role. Might even need to get rid of Cunningham. Huge offseason for this regime.

Also, seeing the Rams at 7-7-1 has surprised me after how they started. Once Fisher gets another draft class in they'll be in the playoff hunt.

The Seahawks are absolutely decimating the 49ers. If they can play like this, they're going to be awfully dangerous in the playoffs.

Strong D and a solid running game. If you have those two things you are always a threat, even if you have a young or subpar QB. Plus Seattle is relentless at home.

I'm a total homer, but what an awesome story the Colts were today, and all season really. Two wins last year, playoffs this year. They clinch a berth the day before Chuck Pagano comes back from his bout with leukemia.

Strong D and a solid running game. If you have those two things you are always a threat, even if you have a young or subpar QB. Plus Seattle is relentless at home.
And when you have a guy like Russel Wilson, who has played superbly, it makes them even more tough to beat.

I'm a total homer, but what an awesome story the Colts were today, and all season really. Two wins last year, playoffs this year. They clinch a berth the day before Chuck Pagano comes back from his bout with leukemia.
One thing is for sure...the Rookie of Year award will be a hell of a vote.

And when you have a guy like Russel Wilson, who has played superbly, it makes them even more tough to beat.

I'm not a fan of them, but good lord I would not want to play them in the playoffs. Wilson did a solid job of evading defenders on at least two plays that I saw. Probably did it more, too.

One thing is for sure...the Rookie of Year award will be a hell of a vote.

I wanted to say Luck should win it for sure, but RGIII has had himself a damn good season, among the other candidates. I've still got Luck out front, rookie passing yards record, and taking a 2-14 team last year to at least 10-5 and a playoff spot. I know there are other circumstances that go with it, but Luck is at the helm and it is certainly impressive.

I'm not a fan of them, but good lord I would not want to play them in the playoffs. Wilson did a solid job of evading defenders on at least two plays that I saw. Probably did it more, too.
Ahmad Brooks has probably lost 10 pounds just trying to chase Wilson down.

I wanted to say Luck should win it for sure, but RGIII has had himself a damn good season, among the other candidates. I've still got Luck out front, rookie passing yards record, and taking a 2-14 team last year to at least 10-5 and a playoff spot. I know there are other circumstances that go with it, but Luck is at the helm and it is certainly impressive.
Luck has more yards and TD, RG 3 has a better QB rating because of fewer INTs, but I think Russell Wilson has shown the most improvement throughout the season.

Nobody thought that the Seahawks would be making the playoffs but we sure got fooled. They've been astounding this season. They're much better than anybody gave them credit for earlier in the season.

If Seattle had home field advantage then I would have them as a virtual lock to win the NFC. It will tougher going on the road but I could still see them doing it. They shouldn't have too much trouble with the NFC East winner in the first round and then they would be getting either Green Bay or San Fran in the second round, two teams they have beaten this year (albeit both at home).

If Seattle had home field advantage then I would have them as a virtual lock to win the NFC. It will tougher going on the road but I could still see them doing it. They shouldn't have too much trouble with the NFC East winner in the first round and then they would be getting either Green Bay or San Fran in the second round, two teams they have beaten this year (albeit both at home).

And don't forget, that home win against Green Bay was, shall we say, disputed.

Very disputed. However, I will say that both Seattle AND Green Bay are much better teams at this point compared to where there were in that week 3 match up. It would be a fun rematch to watch.

Luck has more yards and TD, RG 3 has a better QB rating because of fewer INTs, but I think Russell Wilson has shown the most improvement throughout the season.

Luck doesn't have more TDs, actually. Wilson has 25, one behind the record Manning set in his rookie year. Luck only has 21. Wilson also has 3 rushing TDs to Luck's 5.

All I know is that Green Bay is going to be pissed if they and San Francisco both lose and Seattle wins. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if San Francisco loses to Arizona because the injury bug has gotten them as of late.

All I know is that Green Bay is going to be pissed if they and San Francisco both lose and Seattle wins. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if San Francisco loses to Arizona because the injury bug has gotten them as of late.

I really, really doubt San Francisco loses to Arizona. It's not impossible, crazier shit has happened, but Arizona beating them at this point just seems incredibly unlikely. Their offense is just so putrid, the 49ers should destroy them.

So apparently Greg McElroy has suffered a possible concussion. After Mark Sanchez's benching last week for his atrocious play, Rex Ryan has decided to name....

Mark Sanchez the starter. Makes sense, right?

Tebow's been as good as gone for a while now. While it'd be nice to give him a chance, the Jets plans for the future certainly don't involve him. Perhaps a good start could drive up his value for trade purposes, but the Jaguars would essentially be bidding against themselves. I'd like to see Tebow start again, but I think it's clear Rex never really wanted him and this was more of Woody Johnsons doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back