NFL Thread - 2012-13

Tebow's been as good as gone for a while now. While it'd be nice to give him a chance, the Jets plans for the future certainly don't involve him. Perhaps a good start could drive up his value for trade purposes, but the Jaguars would essentially be bidding against themselves. I'd like to see Tebow start again, but I think it's clear Rex never really wanted him and this was more of Woody Johnsons doing.

I think it shows just how cowardly Rex Ryan is. He'd rather lose a meaningless game than play Tebow in the same meaningless game and possibly win. Because winning this game would just make Ryan look bad for not playing Tebow earlier.

This has nothing to do with the Jets future. Quite frankly, Ryan doesn't deserve a future with the Jets. This has everything to do with Ryan's ego.

I think it shows just how cowardly Rex Ryan is. He'd rather lose a meaningless game than play Tebow in the same meaningless game and possibly win. Because winning this game would just make Ryan look bad for not playing Tebow earlier.

This has nothing to do with the Jets future. Quite frankly, Ryan doesn't deserve a future with the Jets. This has everything to do with Ryan's ego.

Well, from a team standpoint, a Jets win over Buffalo wouldn't benefit them much for the future. It'd worsen their draft pick, their division rival would get a better one, and they wouldn't be as valuable to trade down (since their pick wouldn't be as high) to get extras. I'm not saying the Jets are playing to lose, but a Week 17 win to improve to 7-9 doesn't gain them much benefit.

And I think it just proves that Rex never wanted Tebow in the first place or didn't see him as a potential starter. You would think that the coach and GM would be on the same page in a situation like that, but again I think it was more of Johnsons doing than Tannenbaum or Ryan. You could say he's just having an ego (which I wouldn't disagree with) but I'd put it more towards the incompetence of the Jets.

So apparently Greg McElroy has suffered a possible concussion. After Mark Sanchez's benching last week for his atrocious play, Rex Ryan has decided to name....

Mark Sanchez the starter. Makes sense, right?

It does, actually. If Tebow comes in and wins then Ryan looks like a dummy for not starting him prior. Winning this meaningless game does nothing for Rex's future.

To change the subject off of Tebow, I've spent a fair share of my time reading/researching the Lions and I'm trying to figure out a wishlist of sorts for their offseason. This is what I've figured out so far

Let Durant, Avril, Logan, Cherlius walk: Avril isn't worth the money since he doesn't play the Wide 9 that well, Logan has been useless as a returner the last 2ish years, and Cherilus is solid but not worth the money he could possibly get when Reiff is more than capable of taking his spot. With a 4th and 5th rounder spent on LBs this year, one of them should be capable for stepping in for Durant next year. Plus he's rather slow.

Cut KVB: It may give the Lions a small cap hit (haven't looked it up) but the dude is washed up and isn't worth having start at DE anymore.

Sign Levy only at a discount: As I said with Durant, we have guys we spent draft picks on that we can plug in, but if he comes in somewhat cheap, we can use those draft picks as depth guys for another year.

Franchise Houston: Don't think we'll be able to get him to a long term deal, but we need him back as he's our most dependable corner. We have some younger guys at corner with Bentley, Green, and Greenwood, but Houston has to stay around at least another year.

Go defense in the draft: It worked for the Packers last year and, aside from some O-line spots, most of our concerns arise from defensive struggles. There just aren't enough playmakers there. Suh and Fairley are shaping up to be solid DTs, but we need at least one DE that can start right away in this draft, possibly 2. Our LBs could get work but that's probably the least of our concerns, although they're more solid but unspectacular. Then, get at least 1 safety and corner. Our depth (or lack of) at DB has been pretty clear this year and with it being a mess you almost have to keep throwing shit at a wall until something sticks. You could add an O-Line prospect in there as well, but they better be damn good.

There's probably some other things I could think off, but this is just off the top of my head.

I would include getting another WR to compliment Calvin Johnson. Titus Young seems to be sort of a malcontent there as of late and it would help Stafford a whole lot.

I've heard rumors that GB might let Jennings & Finley go, I could really care less about Finley, as I think GB could replace him fairly easy in the yrs. to come, I mean how hard can it be to find a TE to drop easy passes? As for Jennings I would like to see him back, but really wouldn't be upset to see him go either, as we're pretty deep at WR with Nelson, Cobb, & Jones. Jennings leaving would also like get us some cap space to use toward other position that really need looked to, like RB. It's been 3 yrs. since we've had a good reliable RB, this revolving door of Benson, Starks, Green, & Grant just isn't a good long term solution, they need to either draft a solid RB (pretty sure there are a few good ones coming out in the draft this year) or sign someone that is not well past there prime.

Also would love to see GB get rid of TJ Lang, because he's fucking awful & annoys the shit out of me.

There's going to be a lot of coaches out on their ass this year, huh?

Romeo Crennel, Norv Turner, Ken Whisenhunt, Pat Shurmur, Andy Reid, Jim Schwartz, Chan Gailey, and Rex Ryan are all guys either out or on the bubble.

Who should replace them? Where do you see them ending up?

I think Andy Reid would do well in San Diego. Phillip Rivers needs some help, Reid could be the guy to do it.

I don't want to sound like some Detroit fans that keep calling for Schwartz's head... but I'm 50/50 on keeping him right now. I know he had to work with basically nothing when he got here but no way should a team with Stafford and Calvin not win 8 straight times. While it's highly unlikely, if a guy like Gruden would be willing to come here, I'd do it almost instantly. We need a coach with some SB experience instead of continuing to settle for coordinators. Tough season and it kinda makes you wonder if he'll be the right guy for the job or not.

It just keeps getting better and better in Jets land.

The New York Daily News published a photo Friday of Ryan sunbathing while on vacation in the Bahamas. On his right arm: a tattoo of a woman, resembling his wife Michelle, wearing a green jersey with Sanchez’s No. 6 — and nothing else.

And wait — is she Tebowing?
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01...-tattoo-of-woman-wearing-only-sanchez-jersey/
myersrex4s-6-web.jpg

This will probably turn out to be fake, but I hope like hell it's real. :lmao:

Rumors are Reid & KC are close to a deal that would make him the new Chiefs head coach. Reid canceled his visit with the Cardinals, & KC has not scheduled any new visits with coaching prospects. Again this is just rumor & nothing official yet.

In other news KC has also just parted ways with Scott Pioli & has wished him best of luck in his future endeavors. Supposedly it was a mutual parting of ways. So now it looks like KC is in the hunt for a new GM as well, meanwhile I expect that Pioli will be snatched up fairly quickly.

Two news stories from today:

1. Seattle placed their kicker Steven Hauschka on IR and signed veteran Ryan Longwell to replace him. This is a good signing for Seattle as Longwell was easily the best kicker available and he has 8 years of postseason experience, including one trip to the Super Bowl. He hasn't kicked at all this season but has had some good years recently with the Vikings.

2. Rob Ryan has been fired as the Cowboys defensive coordinator. This was a good move by Dallas. They obviously needed to shake things up somehow and Ryan is overrated. He definitely made the defense better but that isn't exactly hard to do considering they were ranked 31st last season. In Ryan's 9 years as a defensive coordinator, his defenses have finished in the top 10 of the NFL only once and they have finished 20th or worse in 6 of his 9 seasons. This will allow the Cowboys to go back to a 4-3 defense which fits their current personnel a little better.

Rob Ryan being fired isn't a huge deal, but it solves absolutely nothing for the Cowboys. Their defense was obliterated by injuries and he still managed to keep them in the middle of the pack. He'll get a job elsewhere since he's clearly one of the top defensive coordinators in the league.

I love the move, anything that assures the Cowboys will miss the playoffs again makes me giddy.

Fuck Jerry Jones.

Rob Ryan being fired isn't a huge deal, but it solves absolutely nothing for the Cowboys. Their defense was obliterated by injuries and he still managed to keep them in the middle of the pack. He'll get a job elsewhere since he's clearly one of the top defensive coordinators in the league.

I don't see how Ryan can be considered one of the top defensive coordinators in the league. He has been a d coordinator for 9 seasons and his defenses have been ranked 20th or worse in 6 of those seasons. Only once has he had a defense finish in the top 10.

A lot like how Norv Turner is still considered an offensive mastermind. He was great a couple of times with some outstanding players, and it causes people to forget the rest.

Most of Ryan's best work came as linebacker coach in New England and when we ran the defense in Oakland. His time in Cleveland and Dallas was middle of the road.

Never mind the fact that a blind monkey could be a great offensive coordinator on a team with Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith, Michael Irving, and one of the largest offensives lines in NFL history. That success was totally and completely the work of Norv Turner. :rolleyes:

Most of Ryan's best work came as linebacker coach in New England and when we ran the defense in Oakland. His time in Cleveland and Dallas was middle of the road.

Even his time in Oakland was overrated. They had the third ranked defense in 2006 but his other years there were shit. He was the defensive coordinator for Oakland from 2004-2008 and his defenses ranked 30th, 27th, 3rd, 22nd, and 27th.

Mularkey was fired in Jacksonville. Finally. Kind of hope they get McDaniels and Tebow, or at least someone who WANTS Tebow. I really just want to see how he'll perform when the team actually has confidence in him. Either he'll be good, or he'll shit the bed and we can get over this nonsense.

Reports have surfaced that Bill Cowher is interested in coaching in the NFL again. If true, the Bears should be on the phone with him right now. The sticking point there might be how much control he would want vs. how much they're willing to give.

Should be interesting to see if he does come back and if so, where he will go.

I think Chicago and San Diego are two good choices for him.

The Chiefs hired Doug Pederson and Bob Sutton as the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators respectively. Can anyone tell me if these moves are any good or not? I have no idea who the fuck these guys are.

The Chiefs hired Doug Pederson and Bob Sutton as the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators respectively. Can anyone tell me if these moves are any good or not? I have no idea who the fuck these guys are.

Sutton used to be the head coach at Army in the 90s. He had been the LB coach for the Jets since 2000, even serving as Defensive Coordinator from '06-'08. When Rex Ryan came in he demoted him back to LB coach.

Pederson was the Eagles QB coach the last couple years. He was actually the Eagles original staring QB in McNabbs rookie year.

Sutton should be serviceable, I'd be a little iffy on Pederson though.

Reid brought over some of his old position coaches too. The WR, TE, and DL coaches were all with the Eagles last year, and the QB coach was on the Eagles staff as well.

Pederson will do fine. He was an NFL backup for over 10 years, spending most of his time behind Brett Favre so he knows the NFL game. He is also one of Reid's proteges and I'm sure Reid will be doing a lot of work with the offense as well.

Andy Reid announced that it will be him calling the plays this season and not offensive coordinator Doug Pederson. This makes sense considering Pederson has never been an offensive coordinator before and I'm sure Reid wants to be as hands on as possible at the start of his tenure in KC. Pederson is a Reid protege and this will allow him to ease into his new role better. Reid also announced that KC will be sticking with the 3-4 defense that they currently run.

Last night, 49ers WR Michael Crabtree was questioned by police about a sexual assault that took place last weekend. Crabtree wasn't detained and was fully cooperative. That said, one only has to google "Eugene Robinson" to find out about how something like this can distract a player before a big game.

Does anybody think Crabtree's performance will be affected due to this? The outcome of the game?

Alex Smith of the 49ers has been dealt to the Kansas City Chiefs for their 2nd round (34th overall) pick and a conditional pick in 2014 (which could be as high as the 2nd round from what I've seen). Amazing how KC continues to recycle other people's garbage and use it as their own QB. They haven't had their own drafted QB win a game since 1987. Just a shocking stat.

And with this trade, they aren't going to get any top QB in the draft (although you could debate all of their merits) since they aren't going to take Geno first and only have 2 picks in the top 95. SF just continues to rack up the picks and it wouldn't surprise me to see them make a package of those picks towards Revis. They have 15 of them (pending compensatory picks), may as well use them to get a star.

Yeah I don't like it. Alex Smith and Matt Cassel are the same guy. You put them on an awesome team, they'll win and if you put them on a shitty team, they'll lose.

The only upside Smith has over Cassel is that he's not universally hated in Kansas City. Not yet anyway.

Meh, you weren't going to take a QB with the #1 overall pick this year. Might as well try and shore up the QB position. If it works, you got a good quarterback for a 2nd round draft pick (which is a clear winner). If it doesn't work, then you draft a QB in the next year or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back