NFL Thread - 2011-12

My Detroit Lions have made some moves. Nothing major but a few solid signings.

They have agreed to terms with Rashied Davis. Davis played in Chicago last year and he is a very good special teams player. He is also decent enough at receiver the be the Lions 4th option. Derrick Williams has disappointed in his career so expect Davis to take that 4th receiver spot.

Justin Durant an OLB who played with Jacksonville last year has also agreed to terms. He has had some injury problems but he is a more then capable starter when healthy. If the Lions are able to get Stephen Tulloch like they want then their starting linebacker corp could be set. Tulloch in the middle with Durant and Deandre Levy on the outside. They also have third year player Ashlee Palmer who impressed last year in limited time at OLB and he would be the first option off the bench in the linebacker rotation

Finally they signed former Chiefs safety Maurice Leggett. Leggett missed all of last year with a severe concussion but he is back healthy and he adds depth to the secondary. He can play safety and corner though he is better at safety.

And now Chad Ochocinco is a Patriot. The full terms of the trade haven't been released quite yet but he's going to New England now.

Really, I could see it working but he's a bit more of a Diva than Moss was. I think Belichick is going to have his hands full keeping him under control. But if he can do it, they may have just picked up a great receiver.

Fucking Patriots.

Paying so much for Kolb reminds me of when the Bills gave up a first and fourth for Rob Johnson. Trading for Orton would have been more of a sure thing but it sounds like the Broncos wanted too much for someone that is most likely never going to be an elite qb. I don't think there is a good fit out there for Arizona. They are not going to make the playoffs with any of the guys that are available.

And now Chad Ochocinco is a Patriot. The full terms of the trade haven't been released quite yet but he's going to New England now.

Really, I could see it working but he's a bit more of a Diva than Moss was. I think Belichick is going to have his hands full keeping him under control. But if he can do it, they may have just picked up a great receiver.

Fucking Patriots.

I've always been a huge Chad Johnson fan and just like with Hayensworth if anyone can get those guys to play at their full potential with limited outside distractions, it is the Patriots. After last years playoffs New England knew they needed more impact players on both sides of the ball and it looks like they are getting two for very cheap. They got Moss and Corey Dillon to behave so they can get these guys to as well and if they do the Pats could be scary next year.

Paying so much for Kolb reminds me of when the Bills gave up a first and fourth for Rob Johnson. Trading for Orton would have been more of a sure thing but it sounds like the Broncos wanted too much for someone that is most likely never going to be an elite qb. I don't think there is a good fit out there for Arizona. They are not going to make the playoffs with any of the guys that are available.

The Rob Johnson comparison is perfect. Johnson was a young guy with some talent that teams thought could be the next big name at qb. The Bills found out that was not the case and they found it out rather quickly. The Cards have way too many holes to be giving up a pro bowl caliber corner and a second round pick for someone unproven. A vet would have been the way to go and there was no shortage of veteran quarterbacks.

A quarterback's best friend, especially a young quarterback, is a good pass catching tight end. The Panthers got Jeremy Shockey before the lockout and now they have traded for the Bears Greg Olsen. Cam Newton should be thrilled. They also have Ben Hartsock as the third tight end and he is a solid blocker.

Jonathan Joseph has agreed to a deal with the Texans, which further increases the chances that Asomugha will be a Jet (although the Texans have said they are still pursuing Nnamdi). Either way, Houston should be very glad they got at least a top 5 CB and the 2nd best CB in this class, because had they missed out on both Nnamdi and Joseph they would've had a lot of egg on their face. And Joseph will certainly help out their porous defense. I still wouldn't rule out Nnamdi joining Houston and forming a dangerous tandem with Joseph, even if its not as dangerous as one with Revis.

Although for now, it appears the Jets may land the crown jewel. Can't rule out SF, Philly, and Houston though.

The Rob Johnson comparison is perfect. Johnson was a young guy with some talent that teams thought could be the next big name at qb. The Bills found out that was not the case and they found it out rather quickly. The Cards have way too many holes to be giving up a pro bowl caliber corner and a second round pick for someone unproven. A vet would have been the way to go and there was no shortage of veteran quarterbacks.

Easily the best trade in Jaguars history. Trade Rob Johnson for the draft pick that got Fred Taylor, easily the most underrated running back in NFL history.

The Jags continued addressing the defense by picking up Clint Session. He got pretty big contract, I can't remember the details, but the Jags have a ton of money they have to spend. I am ecstatic about this signing as it is a huge improvement over what the Jags had there. The starting linebacker corps is now Session, Paul Posluszny and Daryl Smith. That looks amazing.

The Jags also signed Blaine Gabbert to a four-year deal with $12 million fully guaranteed, with an option for the fifth year. That sounds like an absolute steal when thinking about what rookie quarterbacks used to get in their first contract.

Gabbert's first, and so far only, pass as a Jaguar:

[YOUTUBE]7ab9QYjv6wg[/YOUTUBE]​

I love how this offseason is going for the Jags.

Needless to say, as a Patriots fan I feel this season must start, like, now.

Big Albert has been pretty much a sack of shit these last two years. But if he can get into decent shape he could easily be worth the 5th rounder we gave up. Not even sure if he's being bumped over to DE or if we plan on using him in special packages only, but I'm excited to find out.

The Ochocinco deal is just bliss. Could definitely revive his status as one of the top WRs in the game with Brady throwing to him seeing as unlike Palmer, Brady won't throw the ball ten yards short everytime.

According to NFL Network's Albert Breer, the Eagles have agreed to a one-year contract with quarfterback Vince Young, formerly of the Tennessee Titans. Young, the No. 3 pick in the 2006 draft, was reportedly released by the Titans on Thursday.

In five seasons with the Titans, Young completed 57.9 percent of his passes and threw for 42 touchdowns and 42 interceptions while rushing for 1,380 yards. He was also 30-17 during that span.

Young, a two-time Pro Bowler and former Rookie of the Year, likely becomes the frontrunner to be the Eagles' primary backup to Michael Vick, though he will face a crash course in the Eagles' west-coast offense. Earlier on Wednesday, after the Kevin Kolb trade was announced, head coach Andy Reid said that prior knowledge of the west coast offense was not a prerequisite for a potential quarterback signee. Young will jockey for position with second-year man Mike Kafka.

Vick, meanwhile, has a prior relationship with Young.

"That's my man," Vick said Wednesday when asked about the rumored addition of the fellow top-three draft pick.

Young is now slated to be reunited with his 2010 teammate Jason Babin, who also reportedly agreed to terms with the Eagles on Thursday morning.

That's big. The Eagles are a scary team now with two such great quarterbacks and the adding of Cromatie. Young has a chance to mature in Philly and should appreciate his second chance just like Vick did and take advantage of it just like Vick did. The Eagles are probably my favorite team in the NFC and this makes them better.

EDIT: Holy Shit! I just saw Ocho signed with New England, it gonna be weird seeing him in something else other then a Bengals jersey. Several big moves for the Patriots this offseason.

The Houston Texans have a new lead defensive back. According to John McClain, when they couldn’t lock up the biggest prize in free agency, they decided they couldn’t lose out on the second-best cornerback.

3So rather than continue to wait on Nnamdi Asomugha, they reached an agreement with Cincinnati free agent Johnathan Joseph on a five-year, $48.75 million contract with $23.5 million guaranteed and a $12.5 million signing bonus

I believe this can be a huge Pickup if the Texans make the best out of it. I've seen a bit of him in our local papers because they cover the hell out of The Bengals and Browns football. Him and Kareem Jackson can do well together because while Joseph is still rather young, he can bring a sort of helping hand to help age Kareem out.

This is deff a small pickup for the shit def. they had last year. Lets hope for the best. We also picked up free agent Danieal Manning, and Matt Leinart has decided to stay with us.

The Jets are still going after Nnamdi and its between them and Dallas of all teams, Dallas never put themselves into this mess until now. The 49ers are said to be done with Nnamdi.

But i dont understand why we think Randy Moss is worth it, another talker and complainer. We all saw what happened to him when he left the Patriots, NOTHING!

Its makes me wonder whos stupid enough to think that Moss is gonna work as hard as Braylon has these last 2 years. I dont care about Moss, if Braylon isnt asking for alot of money, we need him not Moss. Braylon is still 27 years old, tall and has great hands and down the field speed.

Please keep Moss away from the Jets!

Well, after all the rumors of Nnamdi going to the Jets, Houston, SF, Dallas, or even back to Oakland, he lands up in... Philly. Great move by the Eagles (obviously it would be for anyone that got him, but still) for 60 mil over 5 years, and this may make them the faves in the NFC, with Aso and DRC added and returning basically the entire offense. I'd still take the Packers over them, but this move clearly improves the Eagles tenfold.

And thank god he didn't go to the Jets. The hype train would've been neverending then. Now they better pick their shit together and resign Cromartie and Edwards because otherwise they'll have wasted all that time for nothing (and I think they'll get most of those guys back, so...).

Megatron, Big Sexy and others - who plays the 2 corners for Philly? Are they expecting a lot of 3 and 4 receiver sets? Does the third guy move to safety? Are they going to turn around and trade Samuels or Rodgers-Cro....? Is Mike Lombardi a forum member? How about Andy Reid?

My feeble little mind is blown away.

If you look at the best NFC teams they all have explosive passing attacks and the Eagles now with three great corners can really shut that down. Green Bay, New Orleans, Atlanta, and even Chicago with Mike Martz running the offense, all having explosive passing games and are deep enough to go three or four wide.

Nnamdi is obviously the one corner and I think DRC and Samuels will battle it out to see who gets the other starting spot and who is the nickel corner. The Eagles also signed a good defensive end in Jason Babin and he along with Brandon Graham will have a much easier job getting to the qb now that the secondary can put a lot of these passing games on lock down.

The Eagles have to be close to maxing out their cap, right? After they restructure Jackson's deal will they have enough to keep all three corners? If not which do they part with? My guess would be Asante.

And why the fuck did the Patriots just cut Ty Warren? Even if you move Haynesworth to the DE spot we need two of those ya know. Not sure what Belichick has up his sleeve but I hope it was worth giving up one of my favorite Patriots of the past decade. Fuck.

The Eagles have to be close to maxing out their cap, right? After they restructure Jackson's deal will they have enough to keep all three corners? If not which do they part with? My guess would be Asante.

Asante is the oldest of the three and the other two are new acquisitions so if someone did get moved it would be him. The Eagles at the very least could get a third rounder for him if they want to go that route.

And why the fuck did the Patriots just cut Ty Warren? Even if you move Haynesworth to the DE spot we need two of those ya know. Not sure what Belichick has up his sleeve but I hope it was worth giving up one of my favorite Patriots of the past decade. Fuck.

A lot of teams have to cut costs and that often means cutting veterans. That's the way the league works. Warren is getting up there in age and this will give a chance for younger DE's on their roster like Ron Brace and Brandon Deaderick to make an impact.

Blaine Gabbert looked absolutely amazing tonight at training camp. He was making all the throws Garrard cannot make. Gabbert looked so smooth and fluid and just seemed so comfortable with the offense. I know it was underwear practice and we won't know how good he is until he is actually in a game, but I was more than impressed by his showing tonight.

Garrard, on the other hand, looked awful. I'm not saying like usual Garrardness, he was much worse than usual. I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut since he has no guaranteed money left in his contract. Garrard was the worst looking quarterback out of him, gabbert and Luke McCown.

Its pretty bad that the Jets really have these intentions of getting rid of Braylon Edwards for someone a bit more cheap, im sure not by alot. But Braylon was once one of the top 10 Wideouts in the league when he was with the Browns. It makes me sick that the team would rather Cromartie, a crappy tackler and a decent cover corner over Braylon who made so many great plays for us and set us up for huge wins this season.

They really have no faith in Kyle Wilson i guess.

Well as a life-long 49er fan, all I can really say is "Why did we keep Alex Smith ANOTHER year?" I'm still scratching my head wondering WTF happened last year. At the end of the 2009 season I was looking at the 2010 season like the niners were going to get roughly 10-6 and make the playoffs, and then... BLEH, and now we've got yet another head coach, one great looking defense, and an offense that just needs a competent QB and we're not even addressing that issue. WTF is going on in San Fransisco!?

I'm gonna have to pick a secondary team to watch too I think. Problem is there isn't really a team worth following for me. Pittsburgh really can't get too far ahead of San Fransisco's Superbowl streak, I hate the Colts & Pats, Green Bay, is well, Green Bay. There's only 1 team I hate more than the Green Bay Packers and that's the Dallas Cowboys. ... Unless it's Seattle. Bleh. Really not very psyched for this season.

Maybe I'll follow the Jets this season too. I like Ryan, and if they win a superbowl WTF cares. They're not 5-0 or 6-2 for that matter either. Big deal if they win another one.

Hell yeah I'm so pumped and can't wait for the Eagles season to start. We're super stacked on D now with the additions of cromartie, babin, asomugha, and now cullen jenkins. Rumors circulating that we might trade Samuel I really hope we don't because he makes are secondary the best in the league and a lot of times last year we got hurt by the play of the nickel back. Drc even said hes willing to play nickel for us if he gets a lot of playing time which he would especially how a lot of offenses run three wide receiver sets. If we do trade Samuel it better be for a lot maybe a first round pick and a third or maybe an established position player such as an linebacker. Samuel is without a doubt a top 4 or 5 corner in the league and from what I'm hearing we won't trade him unless we get blown away by a offer. Samuel was by far our best player on D last year and we were a totally different defense when he wasn't on the field. Now all we have to do is get Jackson back into camp and get him an extension.

So I'm sitting here watching Brandon Marshall's Press Conference and he's telling us that he has BPD(Borderline Personality Disorder.) Apparently, one of the side effects of BPD is that you may end up rambling and rambling about incoherent, self serving bullshit for like, 20 minutes. Seriously, what the fuck? I don't doubt the diagnosis at all, and I didn't have much of a problem with him having a Press Conference to address it. But Christ, he goes on so much about how he wants his story to help others and how he's shooting a documentary. Not to mention all of the huge gaps of silence while he tries to remember his lines. Talking is definitely not his strong suit.

Eagles are really throwing out all the stops this year and I can't wait to see it. The only thing I don't get is why they don't seem to be addressing the O-line issues from last year. Maybe I missed something, but I always thought that was the number 1 issue they had going into the off season, but apparently they think it was the defense, which should be corrected like a motherfucker now, I assume.

Fun stuff going the past few days, 6 months of off season being crammed into 6 weeks is going to be interesting.

Eagles are really throwing out all the stops this year and I can't wait to see it. The only thing I don't get is why they don't seem to be addressing the O-line issues from last year. Maybe I missed something, but I always thought that was the number 1 issue they had going into the off season, but apparently they think it was the defense, which should be corrected like a motherfucker now, I assume.

The Eagles O Line wasn't overly bad last year and it's always hard to judge an O line when the team has a running qb starting. They did, however, draft a guard in the first round in Danny Watkins and they also recently signed a solid veteran guard in Evan Mathis. Philly could still use more O Line and linebacker depth but it isn't a huge concern.

Another note for the Eagles is that they signed Vince Young to be their new backup qb. With the way Vick plays injuries are always a concern so having a solid backup is key. VY may be a headcase at times but he knows how to win football games, and he has a similar style to Vick so if there is an injury the offense won't have to adjust too much.

Seeing as how it hasn't been mentioned yet, the Lions have done well adding another piece to their back 7, starting calibre LB Stephen Tulloch to a one year deal for 2ish million (with like 1.8 mil guaranteed). That will cause Levy to move to the outside (where he played in college) and let Tulloch slide in the middle. I really, really like this move for the Lions. Tulloch is only 26 and has played every single game of his career and knows the defense due to his time spent on the Titans when Schwartz was D-Coordinator. That strengthens our weakness some to where we don't need Bobby Carpenter or Ashlee Palmer being our other staring LB. Those 3, with the line they have in front of them, shouldn't need to blitz all that often.

Also, the Lions signed Browns CB Eric Wright to a one year deal a few days ago. Just like Chris Houston last year, the Lions are going after a guy that fell out on his team, due to some poor play and injury problems his last year. Should we resign Houston (which we should since Alphonso Smith, our other CB, is out with a broken foot). Our CB situation would be set for the year and our defense I would say is in the top half (at least on paper). With a great D-Line and strong Back 7, this team should do a good job at not giving away too many games.

Mayhew is at it again this year, and I'm expecting some serious results (i.e. winning season, possible playoff contention. POSSIBLE). What a turnaround this team has had in only 3 short years. Mayhew and Schwartz should be commended for the team they've put together since they fell apart with 0-16. There's stability and these guys aren't an easy win anymore. That's what I like to see.

The Lions are definitely having another great offseason. I mentioned the possibility of them getting Tulloch and moving Levy to the outside when I discussed the Durant signing and I'm glad they were able to get the deal done. Their top 4 linebackers are all now 26 years of age or younger.

The signing of Eric Wright is another one that I like. He isn't a number corner but definitely a number two. If Chris Houston is back then hopefully one of those two can step up and play like a number one. Alphonso Smith is probably a lock for the nickel corner spot at least to start the season and then they have a lot of unproven but talented guys who can battle it out for the last couple corner spots.

I would say yes to Smith as the nickelback, but the only problem is he has a broken leg right now and I don't know if he can be 100% at the start of the season (he says he will be playing in the season opener, but we'll see). Other then that, apparently the Lions are high on Jack Williams (who was hurt most of last year), so him and Nathan Vasher (who did well at the end of the season) will probably fight for the 4 spot (or 3 until Smith is fully healthy).

But nevertheless, the Lions did great in addressing their needs (LB and Secondary) and getting most of their guys in camp (if they hopefully get Avril and Houston to sign longer deals). I can see this team being a threat all season (especially if Stafford can stay healthy, and by all reports he's much bigger and stronger this season and lost a lot of his baby fat). I don't think 10 wins is a crazy thought, even with the semi-hard schedule they got.

These next 6 weeks can't go by quick enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back