Your favorite/least favorite finishers (of today)?

Used to love the Michinoku driver, but isn't that banned now for being too risky like AJ Styles move where he breaks peoples necks? (I forget the name of it)

Yeah screw being safe. Let's just go balls out on everything and injure everyone :disappointed:

The fact that the Zig Zag hasn't been mentioned in the least favorite surprises me. Such a stupid finisher. I'd even rank the 619 up there if it was current. It always looks so fake getting set up.

The RKO is a great finishing move due to it's versatility. It can be slowly set up when Orton is having a seizure on the mat or he can do it out of nowhere.

No my point. Totally misunderstood me. Didn't say anything wrong with being safe. Don't be too safe with it. :banghead:
Never said screw being safe :banghead:
Jericho liontamer, nothing was wrong with it. He never injured anyone with it.
Being too safe is horrible.
Its ok to be safe but don't be too safe. Makes things boring.

zig zag is a great move IMO

619 is horrible

I like Dean Ambrose using the Double Arm DDT way better then that Dirty Deeds move, so that's probably my favorite.

And my least favorite might be Daniel Bryan's running knee. Not realistic in the least, really wasn't impressive for WM win.

Jeff Hardy's Swanton was dope as hell from like 97-04, kinda weird but he'd arch so much more and it had this rhythm. It fit him pretty well.

The Master Lock sucked.

The RKO is the only finisher currently in WWE I like. He incorporates it into some pretty neat counters like the shooting star press or that Dolph Ziggler one on Raw like two weeks ago.

Used to love the Michinoku driver, but isn't that banned now for being too risky

Luke Harper actually uses it as a signature move but it is more of a safer sitting bodyslam and doesn't have the sheer drop/snap like Taka's had at one time. I was surprised to hear Michael Cole actually call it as a Michinoku Driver when he does it.

Luke Harper actually uses it as a signature move but it is more of a safer sitting bodyslam and doesn't have the sheer drop/snap like Taka's had at one time. I was surprised to hear Michael Cole actually call it as a Michinoku Driver when he does it.

I love taka driver better. I love the impact.

I hate moves that are way too safe. Harper driver is ok but way too safe

Hm....going to try not saying stuff that's already been said multiple times. Also going to stick with current roster since all time would probably make too large of a list

Favorites

Shellshock - This is a amazing feat of strength, and the man has done it to the literally biggest guys on the roster.

Paige Tap Out / Scorpion Crosslock - All submissions hurt but this one looks truly painful. Shame that it seemed to have disappeared from her moveset.

Curb Stomp - It's a great heel finisher as it has the combination of looking dangerous and at the same time insulting. Also has the added plus side of being used with outside objects with still little actual risk to it's victim.

Least Favorites

Accolade - It's a camel clutch, maybe if it wasn't so overused over the years.

Brie's Yes Lock - I'm sorry but she really needs to go back and rewatch some of DB's matches since hers looks terrible.

Axel's/Adam Rose/Formerly Ambrose's Shoulder or Hangman facebuster - Always found it slow to setup and never looking that great. Didn't help that at one point all the above were using very similar variations of it, so I'm pretty happy that Amborse adopted the double arm DDT.

Favorites:

Rings of Saturn - Looked like it hurt like all hell and was a good submission that could be used on just about anybody and still look like they should tap out.

Macho Man/Shawn Michaels/CM Punk Elbow Drop - while not looking particularly devastating now, the elevation that these guys got was outstanding and seemed like you could stop time.

VanTerminator: I know the WWE is very worried about chair shots to head but how can you not enjoy a guy flying across the ring to deliver this?

Least Favorite:

Power Bombs of the non sit-out variety - Power Bombs often look incredibly sloppy especially coming from guys like Batista. Undertaker's Last Ride before he stopped using it was looking awful. Maybe it is because it is a straining move on the person preforming it but thankfully not many seem to use it anymore.

The Ankle Lock - Seriously? You want me to think that taking someones leg and twisting it would make me want to tap like that?

Shooting Star Press - This used to be one of my favorites but now I see guys doing it standing position to a prone opponent and it looks infinitely less devastating.

Sticking with current finishers I have to say my favourites are the red arrow and Daniel Bryans running knee. Reigns spear and whilst not technically a finisher ( although it finished cena off at summerslam) Lesnars suplexes. All look pretty impactful to me. My least favourites are the AA, Party Foul, Big Ending, Any Big Splash, and I get the whole Outta nowhere craze for the rko as he hits some cool spots with it. I would have added it to favourites for that reason if it wasn't for the fact it looks so weak and not in the least bit like it could actually knock you silly if you were hit with it...much prefer the punt to the head

On a few of these.

The Accolade: I actually don't mind this submission. I think it fits Rusev and looks dangerous enough simply because of his size and strength.

Ankle Lock: I remember being confused when Angle did this back in the early 2000's because I never thought it would hurt. I have heard that it can hurt, but in reality it's unreliable because it's hard for the user to get their bearings. However, I don't mind it anymore as long as the victim is selling it. If anything, I enjoyed Swagger's sudden counters against Rusev.

Shooting Star Press- I think it looks cool, but the problem is...It doesn't seem very practical. I dont see how it would do any more damage than any kind of frog splash and it seems incredibly difficult and dangerous. But it looks cool enough for me to overlook that.

Does Curtis Axel still use the perfectplex? I mean, it is just a normal suplex into a pin. No wonder Mr Perfect never won a world title with such a lame finisher.

My favorites:
Randy Orton - RKO (so versatile) & Punt Kick (wish they just let him do it already)
Paige - Ram-Paige (her cradle DDT looks devastating) & PTO (another sick submission from Bull Nakano)
Seth Rollins - Curb Stomp (I just think it's awesome)
AJ Lee - Black Widow (One of the sickest submission ever)
Bray Wyatt - Sister Abigail (I love this move, especially when he runs and does it)
Goldust - The Final Cut (This is a beautiful finisher)
Cody Rhodes - Cross Rhodes (he pulled this move off perfectly most times)
Adrian Neville - Red Arrow (I don't need to comment)
Baron Corbin - End of Days (This is one of the best creative finishers I've seen in a while)
Corey Graves - Lucky 13 (It's a pretty painful looking submission)

Least Favorites:
John Cena - AA (it just fucking sucks balls)
Mojo Rawley - Hyper Drive (it's just fucking stupid; his whole move-set is garbage as well)
The Miz - Skull Crushing Finale (another move I hate with a passion because it looks weak as hell)
Rusev - The Accolade (it's just a camel clutch which is fucking lame)
Cesaro - The Neutralizer (this move is boring and doesn't have enough impact)
Hideo Itami - Single leg running high knee (seriously!)
Big Show - Knockout Punch (it's just boring)
Mark Henry - World's Strongest Slam (wow what a boring finisher)
Bo Dallas - Bo-Dog (this is just plain weak and he botches it a lot)
Bull Dempsey - Diving Headbutt (the way he does it looks lame as hell; why is this a finisher?)

I just named top 10 I liked the most and top ten I disliked the most.

Axel does use the perfect plex, but it isn't treated as a finisher. I saw him use it a few times, but it just seemed like a normal move.

Speaking of Goldust, whatever happened to Shattered Dreams? I'm not even really sure when he stopped using that finisher. That one looked brutal.

Axel does use the perfect plex, but it isn't treated as a finisher. I saw him use it a few times, but it just seemed like a normal move.

Speaking of Goldust, whatever happened to Shattered Dreams? I'm not even really sure when he stopped using that finisher. That one looked brutal.

They won't let him do it because of the PG crap.

I actually really like the Curb Stomp - the key to a good finisher is believing it would be effective, and that one looks painful. Like *most* finishers though, it is reliant on the victim to sell it correctly. Even the Stone Cold Stunner - a great finisher - looked poor if poorly sold.

There are a few that rely more on the wrestler performing the move though, largely submission moves. I'll never understand why Angle and Swagger stand up during the ankle lock - it IS a painful hold but if the deliverer is standing it's the easiest hold to break free from, which is awful for suspension of believe that is required when watching wrestling. All they have to do is grapevine or even kneel like Ken Shamrock did!

Likewise my least favourite finisher (and I'm not a hater like many) is the no pressure STF(U). Why is is so difficult for Cena to make it look convincing?? Sometimes Cena barely has any grip on the head at all! The victim only needs to slide his head through Cena's arms and he'd be free!

And, not a finisher, but a signature move: I HATE Orton's hangman DDT - sometimes it looks good, but more often than not the victim clearly sets himself up by placing his own feet on the ropes. When Orton introduced it, he made it look like he was pulling his opponent into position.

We all know wrestling is staged, that the wrestlers are choreographing a show. But the most convincing matches are the ones where you almost forget this fact. Moves like those listed above make suspension of believe extremely hard.

I haven't tracked backwards to read the other posts, so initial apologies all around if my response(s) are redundant:

My least favorite finishers are ones that are telegraphed a mile away. My friends and I, when we revert to pre-adolescence, always joke about wrestlers "watching film" in preparation of a match in order to avoid certain wrestling maneuvers. My obvious choice, here, is the 619. If you were wrestling Rey Mysterio, how could you ever, save the unlikely scenario where you're knocked unconscious onto the ropes, not just roll off the ropes? Not to mention the fact that, apparently, being kicked in the head causes you to fall perfectly diagonal in relation to the nearest turnbuckle.

Also, this may be controversial, because I love to move, but I HATE the set-up. Again, suspend disbelief for a moment. You're a world-class athlete and you've been beat up to the point where you're on your back, slowly but surely getting back to your feet, woozy from the pounding you've just taken. Wait...you're wrestling Randy Orton. You hear someone pounding on the mat. What the fuck ELSE could be coming next? The move itself is a classic, but the set-up defies logic.

Unrelated: finishers require logic and storytelling to make sense. Alberto Del Rio used to target his opponent's arm(s) in order to loosen them up for his submission. Easy, straightforward logic/wrestling psychology. Same goes for non-submission maneuvers. Cena targets the back (I guess?) with his spinning back body-drop. Orton loosens his opponents with the DDT and his version of a neck-breaker. A finisher in this context makes total sense and gives the viewer a reason to understand why said wrestler kicked out. My problem is when a wrestler, in a talking segment, is hit out of no where with a finisher and is completely knocked out and motionless, like Seth Rollins on Monday after eating an RKO, yet people consistently kick out of these finishers in matches AFTER THEY'VE TAKEN A BEATING! Finishers aren't supposed to work at the onset of a match because you haven't targeted your opponent's head/neck/arms/etc. enough yet. So, in the interest of logic and continuity, I'd like it if, when finishers are delivered outside of a match, the wrestlers acted hurt, but not dead.

/rant

I thought Del Rio was boring as hell in the past couple years but definitely dug the Cross Armbreaker. Was simple, effective and believable when it comes to suspension of belief.

Remember when tag teams had tag team finisher moves? Do any of the current teams have a tandem finisher like the Doomsday Device, Hart attack, 3d? The Rhodes brothers either use their personal moves and I don't even know the Usos finisher.

Remember when tag teams had tag team finisher moves? Do any of the current teams have a tandem finisher like the Doomsday Device, Hart attack, 3d? The Rhodes brothers either use their personal moves and I don't even know the Usos finisher.

The Ascension has the "Fall of Man" which is pretty cool for a tag finisher(Also sweet name), but yeah that's just about it. As for the Usos they have sort of a tag finisher in that one of them Superkicks a opponent and then tags in the other Uso for a top rope splash. Isn't as cool or exciting as the great finishers you've listed but at least I have no problems of people not kicking out of that one.

Good point. The only cool tag finisher I can think of is The Ascension's fall of man which kind of reminds me of The Eliminators' Total Elimination. The Uso's finisher is just a body splash. I think one reason the Dust Brothers may not have a tag finisher is that Goldust is not going to be around forever, he is one of the oldest guys on the roster and is really there to help his brother shine right now and build his own repertoire.

Favourites

RKO- I've always loved the "Cutter" type moves, and Orton is so creative with all the different ways he can hit the RKO, just like DDP was back in the day with his Diamond Cutter. Yes, it doesn't usually look that painful, but it's a very cool move which can be performed as a surprise in so many ways.

F5- Just devastating looking. I've never seen anyone perform the move anywhere close to how well Brock Lesnar does, the speed he can perform it and the force the opponent lands looks devastating. It suits Lesnar so well.

Fall of Man- The Ascension's Tag-Team finisher is brutal. It reminds me of "Total Elimination" used by The Eliminators in the original ECW, but not as good. It's still nice to see a team using a real tag-team finishing move, rather than just using their own singles finishers.

Red Arrow- Adrian Neville's finisher blows me away every time I see it. What an athlete he is! The Shooting Star Press is spectacular anyway, so to add a corkscrew makes it even better- I can't wait to see Neville on the main roster permanently.

Least Favourite

Skull Crushing Finale- Terrible. It looks like an even less devastating version of Jeff Jarrett's "Stroke", which is already an awful move. It wouldn't cause any damage, and it annoys me that it's sold as a match-ending move.

The Accolade- The Camel Clutch can look painful when performed properly, but the way Rusev does it makes the move look extremely weak. Not a fan of this at all, I think he needs a "slam" finisher of some kind.

Zig Zag- Basically it's a move that makes you fall fairly quickly onto your back. Devastating...not.

To be honest there are not many finishers I like these days. The RKO is still cool, the Pedigree, but how many variations of Samoan drops and fireman carry do we have?

The curb stomp looks terrible because it requires an opponent to get on their hands and knees and wait for the move and frequently looks terrible because of bad timing. Roman Reigns spear is generic as moves come. Daniel Bryans running knee, Rusevs camel clutch. A Bo Dog, so a standard bulldog off a corner... ok

I liked Barretts Boss Man slam, no idea why he swapped to a boring punch.

I suppose the curb stomp will be discussed a lot, but to me, it seems kinda devastating, especially if the timing is correct etc. Sure, setting it up seems wierd at first, but Rollins has that powerbomb to the corner signature, that makes is natural for the opponent to drop to his fours and from there, Seth can follow it up with the Curb Stomp. I think he has used that combination a couple of times and it really works well. I suppose he will start using it more often when he and the officials realize how good and natural of a combo it actually is.

I haven't tracked backwards to read the other posts, so initial apologies all around if my response(s) are redundant:

My least favorite finishers are ones that are telegraphed a mile away. My friends and I, when we revert to pre-adolescence, always joke about wrestlers "watching film" in preparation of a match in order to avoid certain wrestling maneuvers. My obvious choice, here, is the 619. If you were wrestling Rey Mysterio, how could you ever, save the unlikely scenario where you're knocked unconscious onto the ropes, not just roll off the ropes? Not to mention the fact that, apparently, being kicked in the head causes you to fall perfectly diagonal in relation to the nearest turnbuckle.

Also, this may be controversial, because I love to move, but I HATE the set-up. Again, suspend disbelief for a moment. You're a world-class athlete and you've been beat up to the point where you're on your back, slowly but surely getting back to your feet, woozy from the pounding you've just taken. Wait...you're wrestling Randy Orton. You hear someone pounding on the mat. What the fuck ELSE could be coming next? The move itself is a classic, but the set-up defies logic.

Unrelated: finishers require logic and storytelling to make sense. Alberto Del Rio used to target his opponent's arm(s) in order to loosen them up for his submission. Easy, straightforward logic/wrestling psychology. Same goes for non-submission maneuvers. Cena targets the back (I guess?) with his spinning back body-drop. Orton loosens his opponents with the DDT and his version of a neck-breaker. A finisher in this context makes total sense and gives the viewer a reason to understand why said wrestler kicked out. My problem is when a wrestler, in a talking segment, is hit out of no where with a finisher and is completely knocked out and motionless, like Seth Rollins on Monday after eating an RKO, yet people consistently kick out of these finishers in matches AFTER THEY'VE TAKEN A BEATING! Finishers aren't supposed to work at the onset of a match because you haven't targeted your opponent's head/neck/arms/etc. enough yet. So, in the interest of logic and continuity, I'd like it if, when finishers are delivered outside of a match, the wrestlers acted hurt, but not dead.

/rant

To be fair, I've noticed that Randy rarely pulls off the RKO when he starts slamming the mat. Usually, he'll do that and his opponent will successfully counter. Granted, that might have more to do with him being a heel than his opponents wising up, but...yeah.

I presumed that (kayfabe) Rollins was knocked out because it was so sudden and he had no time to brace himself. That's kind of how real life fights often work, but wrestling has its own rules, so I don't know if that was the intended logic.

You bring up a good point though. Wrestling psychology is often underused with finishers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back