WWE Survivor Series 2009 - General Discussion & Aftermath Thoughts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original concept of Survivor Series has been lost and I personally would love to see it return. Without it, Survivor Series is just another waste of $25.

Well, I certainly am looking forward more to this PPV then when the hype first began. Can't say I was impressed with the two Triple Threat matches when they were first announced ... and to be honest I still don't think that I am. But I am definitely looking forward to each of the Traditional Survivor Series matches. Even the Divas match has now peaked my interest after Friday's segment.

Anyway, please make notation on the Mod comments inserted in the OP, that this thread will also be a "PPV Aftermath General Discussion" thread, as well. Appreciate it.

Regretfully, I don't think I will be here for a LD tonight ... well, at least for all of it. But I should be back after the show is over to provide some comments.

I hope the show has better 5-5 tag team matches than last years did. I mean JTG and MVP being eliminated in the fist 2 minutes, they could have put on a much better match. I would like to see the tag teams go for about 30-40 minutes each (other than the diva's) but i doubt it will happen as their is alot more hype on the title matches and almost no hype on team miz vs team morrison

So with one kick, instantly weeks of lackluster build to the WWE title match is forgotten. Was the lack of any build purposely done so that the survivor series match could play out the way it did? Of course it's easy to say it was meant so I'm gonna say it was!

My only beef with the lack of build was that I almost never purchased the PPV and the reason I did certainly was down to the WWE title match, I'm glad I did though but I think there will be plenty of people who didn't order it because of the lack of hype. 3 sweet chin music's to HHH tells me we will get HHH and HBK so my question is, do u think this was the plan all along, the lack of build to have us believe there was no tension between DX or did they soon realize the match had no momentum going in so had to start with a bang? Also how would you like this to play out? Not only with DX but with Cena and his next title defense also?

WWE SURVIOR SERIES REVIEW

TEAM MIZ VS. TEAM MORRISON {Traditional Survivor Series Match}

This match was pretty much what I figured it would be. It was a really good, solid opening match with a lot of rapid fire action. I was a little surprised to see that Dolph Ziggler was eliminated so early. Team Miz came out with the victory with the Miz, Sheamus and Drew McIntyre being the survivors. The young heels came off looking strong and so did Morrison, who was the last surviving member of his team. Morrison was outnumbered and outgunned, so he still came off looking good against overwhelming odds.

On a scale of 1 to 10: 8

BATISTA VS. REY MYSTERIO

This match was ok, nothing really spectacular and I was a little disappointed really. Since the show is in Batista’s home town, he gotta pretty damn big pop. The match was also pretty short, somewhere around 7 minutes or so and the ref stopped the match. Stopping the match because your opponent is physically dominating you in the match is something I’m not very fond of when it’s not done properly. If Batista had beaten Rey bloody, stomped him to the point where he simply looked like road kill, then this sort of ending would’ve worked really great. Overall, however, Batista came out looking strong. The guy is intimidating as hell and this angry persona he’s taken on goes along well with just how he looks.

On a scale of 1 to 10: 6.5

TEAM KINGSTON VS. TEAM ORTON {Traditional Survivor Series Match}

This was an excellent match. It was everything I’d hoped it would be. One of the real highlights of the match include great in-ring chemistry between Kofi and CM Punk. They worked really well together. Most people on the both teams looked good, except for Mark Henry as he was eliminated in seconds, and Kofi wound up being the sole survivor for his team. Kingston really came out of the match looking strong scoring clean pinfall wins over both CM Punk and Randy Orton. I really enjoyed this match, everything had a very fresh feel to it. I was worried that Kofi might job to Orton tonight and wind up losing momentum. I’m glad the WWE hasn’t screwed this program up because I think it has the potential of being one of the best we’ve seen in a long while.

On a scale of 1 to 10: 9

THE UNDERTAKER VS. CHRIS JERICHO VS. THE BIG SHOW {Triple Threat Match for the World Heavyweight Championship}

The crowd seemed to start a little slow for this match but they got into it after about 5 minutes. The match lasted somewhere around the 14 or 15 minute range and had all the usual action from this sort of match. The energy for the match really changed and all three looked good when it was all said and done. The match went out over the ringside area and it began with, obviously, Jeri-Show teaming up against Taker. Nothing overly spectacular happened during the match, just a really solid performance. Taker retained the championship with the Hell’s Gate submission on the Big Show. The crowd really popped for the finish. Taker leaves with a bloody mouth and another successful defense.

On a scale of 1 to 10: 8

TEAM McCOOL VS. TEAM JAMES {Traditional Survivor Series Match}

This match wasn’t really all that bad. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t a great match but it was well above par for a Divas match. It lasted around 11 minutes, which I’m surprised about since I figured this match would be maybe half that with one 20 second pin after another. There was generally a pin around every minute. Mickie James and Melina came out as the survivors for their team, which surprises me since management has been all over Mickie James backstage. I figured that they’d have her team lose, or at least have her be one of those eliminated from her team. It was good for a Divas match, but I still wouldn’t have put it on a ppv. In my opinion, most Divas matches shouldn’t be on ppvs.

On a scale of 1 to 10:5

JOHN CENA VS. SHAWN MICHAELS VS. TRIPLE H {Triple Threat Match for the WWE Championship}

This was a great match with lots of energy, great back and forth action all through it. When the first thing that happened in the match is HBK delivering Sweet Chin Music to Triple H, with Cena selling it excellently, I knew I’d wind up enjoying it. Dissension within the ranks of DX happened but I never expected it to happen this early in the match. There were some great near falls, back and forth action, a submission slapped on every now and again. The crowd popped for all three guys, although a “Cena Sucks” chant would break out now and then. Cena wound up retaining the title, which didn’t please a lot of fans in the audience, but all three came out looking strong. It’ll be interesting on Raw tomorrow night to see what happens with DX.

On a scale of 1 to 10: 9.5 {Match of the Night}

WWE SURVIVOR SERIES OVERALL

Overall, I thought that the Survivor Series was a very good, strong show by the WWE. Just about everything that I was hoping would happen did happen. A lot of the young guys in the WWE looked really strong , especially Kofi Kingston. The traditional Survivor Series matches were really well done, with the exception of the Divas match but we were all expecting that. Even so, the Divas match was pretty above average compared to what we’re used to seeing from them. I was a little disappointed in the Batista/Mysterio match because I was just expecting more out of it. Batista did, however, come out looking strong and I’ve found myself becoming more interested in him than I have in a long time. The WHC match was a good, solid showing from all three men involved and I’m interested in seeing where Jeri-Show goes from here. For me though, the match of the night was the main event between Cena, Michaels and Triple H. I expected it to get a good match, but I didn’t really expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Some great action involved from everyone involved but what I enjoyed most was the dissension of DX. I figured that they would casually work their way up to it about halfway through the match, but having it happen right in the beginning was great. It really kicked off the match with a bang. I’ve not really been a big fan of the corny skits that DX has been doing so I’m hoping that this could be the beginning of the end for them. I wanna see both guys move onto something else. A feud between the two would be nice in my view.

Overall on a scale of 1 to 10: 8.5

I thought it was a solid ppv, although the Cena-HHH-HBK match and Kofi stole the show.

Overall it was a very entertaining ppv, I especially liked the DX curveballs being thrown our way ... and a lot of that will be sorted out tomorrow. Even the diva's match was good (well as good as it can get). I'm not sure what is next for the Miz to be quite honest...especially with Swagger not being one of the survivors. It also seems like we may have seen the end of Ziggler vs. Morrison and it could turn into McIntyre vs. Morrison which would be an exciting fued to watch.

Can't wait for tomorrow nights raw with the fall-out.

Oh yeah, that Christian rap was pretty humorous as well.

1. Team Miz (The Miz, Drew McIntyre, Sheamus, Dolph Ziggler, and Jack Swagger) defeated Team Morrison (John Morrison, Matt Hardy, Evan Bourne, Shelton Benjamin, and Finlay.) I was surprised to see the win go to Team Miz here, I really thought Morrison would get the win to balance out him losing clean to Miz at BR last month. Regardless, this match was pretty entertaining with some great spots and it showed the promise of young guys like McIntyre and Sheamus.

Rating: 7 out of 10

2. Batista defeated Rey Mysterio after the ref called for the bell. I have mixed feelings on this one. I wasn't surprised at all how Batista destroyed Rey due to Rey's knee injury, so I figure he'll be out for some time. But I really dislike how they did this match. Rey tried about 10000 619's and while there were some nice spots, they should be glad they ended this match sooner than later. Also, why did the ref call for the bell in that situation? Rey hardly looked like he was unable to compete, they didn't pull it off too well. And I really think Batista continues to look straight up awkward in his heel role, just his demeanor and body language strikes me as odd.

Rating: 6 out of 10

3. Team Kingston (Kofi Kingston, MVP, Mark Henry, R-Truth, and Christian) defeated Team Orton (Randy Orton, Cody Rhodes, Ted DiBiase, CM Punk, and William Regal). This match, to me, was the epitome of what a SS elimination match should be. The Team Miz/Team Morrison match was good without a doubt, but this one really just captured the rivalry and the heat that the opposing guys have for each other. Also, I loved the finish and how Kofi came back to beat Punk and Orton. Also the pre-match segment with Team Kingston with Christian talking about how he was "different" from his other team members was hilarious.

Rating: 8 out of 10

4. The Undertaker (c) retained his World title against The Big Show and Chris Jericho by making Show tap to Hell's Gate. This match wasn't bad by any means, but I felt like this match dragged along for a good bit. It was a pretty predictable bout in my mind, with JeriShow teaming up on Taker early and through a series of miscues by JeriShow, Taker was able to retain. Nothing terrible here, but nothing great by any means.

Rating: 6 out of 10

5. No thoughts on the Divas bout as I did not watch it.

6. John Cena (c) retained his WWE title against Triple H and Shawn Michaels.
I loved every second of this match, it was great the whole way through. While I am not a fan of Cena retaining here, I can't complain when Cena, HBK, and HHH put on a hell of a match. At the ring of the bell, HBK superkicked HHH out of the ring. This set the tone for the whole match, as it really gave that feeling of every man for himself. There were plenty of great spots, such as HHH giving HBK a spinebuster through the announcer's table, the superkick at the beginning of the match, and Cena giving an Attitude Adjustment to HBK and throwing him onto HHH. This one is easily a match of the year candidate, great job all around to these three men. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens following this match, especially in terms of a DX fallout.

Rating: 9 out of 10

Great show I thought, both from a booking and match quality viewpoint, it's rare that both come together so well, but the matches delivered and the right people won IMO, Kofi, Sheamus & Miz in particular were made to look very strong and it was nice to see a PPV with both World champions retaining after so many title changes recently.

Team Morrison v Team Miz: 7.5/10 - Great opener, most guys were showcased well, Morrison looked strong even in defeat by having to battle the odds, Sheamus is impressing me more and more each week and Miz is really gotten over in recent months, not sure about McIntyre though.

Batista v Rey: 7/10 - Short match, but the post match angle was awesome, heel Batista is easily 1000x more entertaining than babyface Batista, but they seem to be having a hard time getting the cheers for him to stop.

Team Orton v Team Kofi: 8.5/10 - Very entertaining, would have been match of the night on most shows, Christian was booked very well and was over like crazy, but this was Kofi's night, the ending to this match was perfect and cements Kofi as a serious player, I don't think a Royal Rumble win for him is too far fetched, no upper mid card babyface has had this kind of momentum since Batista in late 04.

Undertaker v Jericho v Big Show:7.5/10 - Wasn't expecting much from this match, but I was pleasantly surprised, Jericho was awesome as usual, I'm looking forward to him and Taker in a 1 on 1 programme now.

Team Mickie v Team Michelle: 5/10 - Worst match of the night, wasn't terrible though, actually decent by diva standards, but nobody cares about any of the divas except Mickie and maybe Melina.

Cena v HHH v HBK: 9/10 - Fantastic main event, the SCM on HHH to start off was perfect, match of the night for me, I fell for quite a few of the near falls towards the end and the finishing sequence was excellent.

Overall, a very solid show, I'm glad I decided (at the very last minute) to buy the PPV.

Team Miz vs. Team Morrison: This was a great way to start off the PPV. All the competitors came off strong. Especially the new heels such as Miz, Shaemus and Mcintyre.

Batista vs. Rey Mysterio: We knew this would be a glorified squash match, but it was nice to see a new side to Batista. Batista looked vicious out there, and he could be a very dominant heel in the future.

Team Orton vs. Team Kofi: This was the best Survivor Series match up. The Christian Rap was kinda awkward, but I'll forgive it since it reminds me of the old E&C days. R Truth was eliminated fairly quick but he still had a good match up with Punk. MVP and Henry had some good offense before they were eliminated. I was surprised that Christian lasted so long. It was nice to see Christian mix it up with Orton and CM Punk. I think Christian and Punk could have a great feud if WWE let it happen. Anything his better then Christian vs. Regal part 96. Christian actually looked like a contender after pining Orton for that long 2 count. Kofi looked great taking out Punk and Orton in only 6 seconds. Kofi could be a huge star if WWE keeps using him correctly.

World Title Triple Threat Match: Undertaker vs. Jericho. vs. Big Show: This wasn't a bad match overall. I cracked up when a fan told Jericho to " Go back to Toronto" and Jericho replied "I'm from Winnipeg you idiot!" Jericho is like Flair in his prime without the hair and lifestyle. Undertaker came out on top barely. It would of been refreshing to see someone come out and attack Undertaker to set up something new. Maybe Taker and Jericho will have a match between each other in the future though.

Divas Survivor Series Match:
This match wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Everything went by smooth and fast paced. I just couldn't stand all the squealing and screaming every time they did a move. I mean do the divas have to have an orgasm every time they do a kick? I was pissed that Gail Kim got eliminated so early. It seems like I'm not the only one. So she went to TNA and may have a had a few bad matches in WWE because she wasn't allowed to perform to her ability. Cut her some slack for once. I'm just saying she doesn't have to be a main eventer, but there is no sense of her jobbing either. Anyhow it was nice to see a generic Styles Clash and Canadian Destroyer. You can't tell me that no one from the WWE locker room watches or applies something from TNA.

WWE Championship: Cena vs. Triple H vs. HBK: This was the match of the night and fooled a lot of people. Since DX have been acting like school children and kissing each others asses for the past few weeks, it was nice to see the two against each other. I really don't like Cena's new gear, but I guess its better then the John Deere outfit. Still as many boo's as cheers for Cena. It really doesn't matter how good a worker he is, if someone is booked as the winner or in the main event for a year on end of course people will start resenting him. The match had a good ending with all the close spots. I think the majority of people would of liked to seen HBK when the title for a last time. Cena and HBK could feud, and then HBK could face a different opponent at Wrestlemania and Cena could face the Undertaker. In the mean time, it would of been nice to see Cena out of the title picture for once so he could put over new talent like Swagger. We will have to see what happens tonight on Raw.

I was worried at first since the PPV prices are so damn high, but I feel I got my money's worth from Survivor Series last night. No matches were bad and no Hornswoggle. We saw new stars rise and Kofi Kingston shine. Hopefully there will be new main event feuds because I think everyone deserves something new for once. I give the show 8 out of 10 stars.

Team Morrison v Team Miz: 7/10 - I have got mixed feelings about this match, the wrestling in it was actually pretty good but I just didnt find it that entertaining, also some of the eliminations were kind of crappy, especially Finlay, who was supposed to be the toughest man in the match turned out to be the shitest, Hardy was actually very good in this match, my favourite participant in it, Sheamus was actually pretty good, I just didn't like him getting the win. Oh well, you can't win everything. It was nothing special but not bad at all.

Batista v Rey: 6/10 - Meh, this match was kind of there, it wasn't terrible just was boring as Batista always is, he looked like he was going to cry instead of the anger he should of showed, Rey was pretty decent and him getting destroyed at the end was pretty good but I just didnt like the match.

Team Orton v Team Kofi: 9/10 - Now this match was fantastic, this was a superb elimination match, what they should be like, Christian and Kofi were fantastic in this match, I almost jizzed when Christian hit the unprettier (not going to call it the killswitch), but the Punk broke it up I was saddened. The ending I thought was very well done will Kofi looking great and them not giving us alot of Kofi vs Orton was smart as it makes us want alot more and I cannot wait for this fued to continue.

Undertaker v Jericho v Big Show:8/10 - This match was actually really good, wasn't a great wrestling match but was very entertaining and I wasnt sure who was actually going to win when Big Show hit the knockout punch on both Jericho and Undertaker, the ending was again really good, I actually wasn't expecting it. Really good match

Team Mickie v Team Michelle: 6/10 - Was a very good match considering it was a divas match, my only concern is how Gail was made to look crappy and that Natalya wasn't in it, but other than that it was cool. Beth looked great with getting two eliminations in about 30 seconds and when she got eliminated it didn't make her look weak at all. Good to see the divas having a decent match.

Cena v HHH v HBK: 9.5/10 - This match really good, such good suspense, action, wrestling and so on. I loved the suprise at the start, showed what the title means to them, also added alot of suspense to it. The spinebuster through the announce table was great. The part where it looked like HHH was going to win because of Shawn had me at the edge of my seat, as did other parts, the ending was again pretty good.

Overall a pretty good pay per view :).

Reactions: gd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo