• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wrestlemania 28: John Cena VS The Rock

John Cena and The Rock: Who is Right?

• Cena is Right.

• The Rock does not need to help WWE weekly.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Very mixed feelings about this. Obviously, we should wait and see what happens between now and then, but don't you guys think the outcome is a forgone conclusion? Of course Cena will win. Even though, let's be honest, a loss wouldn't mean squat for either of these men, they're both solidified in their positions. On the other hand, this is one of the few dream matches out there, so it's great to see. Just too damned bad Cena has to take it. He has been THE company man for a the better part of a decade now and to have Mr. Part Time/Mr. Was Passed the Torch and Then Left With It beat him... I just don't see that happening. It's pretty damned clear by the crowd reactions everyone loves Rock more, can you imagine the reaction if and when Cena pins him? Oh dear...

This match will mark ten years since Rock and Hogan sqaured off. I see the Rock putting JC over for sure as this will be another "Pass the Torch" thing.

I think everyone would agree that the Rock has accomplished everything in the WWE. True. BUT.. the Rock has mainevented 3 Wrestlemanias and yet still to have his Wrestlemania moment. This will be his 4th mainevent and its in his hometown and thats why I would like to see the Rock defeat John Cena, but thats not likely.

A match the magnitude of Rock vs Cena can only happen at Wrestlemania, especially with The Rock being gone from wrestling for the last 7 years. Yes, it's a long time from now but this is guaranteed to be one of the best moments in Wrestlemania history. Combine the match with the fact that Mania is in The Rock's hometown of Miami, Florida and the fact that he will most likely be going into the HOF that weekend and it just adds the greatness this match has to offer. It may suck to have to wait a year but this match just can't happen anywhere else.

Not to get off topic but what does this mean for Undertaker next year? I know it wasn't ever set in stone but it was pretty much assumed that it would be Cena Vs. Taker for 20-0... at least that seemed like the only logical choice. Do they now do a HHH VS. Taker rematch? Only make it Career Vs. Career? They kinda set it up for that as it looks like Taker will be out for a long time and with HHH's speech tonight about how he'll be "waiting" or whatever...

-im mad, im very mad, im outragiously mad, why 1 year????? WTH????? this is angering, i dont wanna wait one year, no one does. yes, it is gonna be a big match, but its happening in one year (as a fan yelled during raw "after your movie*) is because the rock's acting role still stomps the wwe X_X, ticks me off.

I don't see why everyone is so angry over this, I think it is brilliant.

What is everyone here saying they want to see? A John Cena heel turn right? WWE has the perfect setting for this now, The Rock in his hometown at Wrestlemania, imagine the heat.

Wrestling used to run year long feuds all the time, why are we so impatient as a community? McMahon-Helmsley Faction, the first NWO run, etc. We were invested in these stories.

What was seen tonight could be the beginning of an amazing story where Rock and Cena start a mutual friendship out of respect and from here the possibilities are endless. A John Cena / Corre feud perhaps and maybe Rock interferes and even helps Cena win some matches, leading to a Rock / Cena tag title match versus the Corre. This leads to eventual animosity between them resulting in a Cena turn at Wrestlemania.

Perhaps the Rock gets ambushed by the Corre and John Cena comes out for the save, only to turn on the Rock and injuring him, giving the 2-3 months Rock will need off camera to film Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. The Rock returns around the Royal Rumble for his revenge leading into next year's Road for Wrestlemania.

Why rush a John Cena heel turn into a short 6 week feud with the Rock when they have a full year to work the story and have it unfold perfectly?

From a marketing perspective this is pure genius. Do you know how many buys they have for next years Wrestlemania? They have 12 months to advertise the Rock fighting John Cena. 12 months of to reel in old wrestling fans who stopped watching the product feeling disconnected, this is a chance for Vince to get the ratings and buys he has been desperate to achieve the past 7 years.

2011 - - Arabian Nights (in production)

2012 - - Loyal Blue (pre-production) (Rumored)

2011 - - Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (post-production)

These are the only 3 movies of The Rocks plate right now. One is done, one is in production, and one isn't even set in stone yet. This makes it easier for the Rock to appear more often during the year long build up.

So.. It's the People's Champion, The Great One, The Brahma Bull, THE ROCK going one on one with JOHN CENA next year at Wrestlemania 28. Now first off, I am very happy that this match will happen and that we have been given a guarantee it will happen, no doubt one of the biggest matches in Mania history. What we saw tonight was both The Rock and Cena display respect and admiration for each other, and sort of buried the hate between the two, even though The Rock said straight up he doesn't like Cena, how are we supposed to believe that since he shaked Cena's hand not once, but TWICE, and Rock was the one who offered the hand.

Now, my question to you is, do you think they have just ruined possibly one of the greatest feuds of all time?? Even though I am happy the match is made, how are we supposed to be amped for a match where both men have respect for each other and nothing seem's personal anymore? (I mean, Rock cost Cena the title, then next night they shake hands???!!!!) Before this we had envisioned each man going at each other with hatred in the eyes which would have given us an "electrifying" feud and would have captivated the whole world! Now, we are left with two men who just want to put on a great match.

Now that's fine, but do you think the momentum for this feud will be lost due to Rock going away and returning Royal Rumble (or around then), and if Rock is planning on staying on tv (which i highly doubt) how will they make them feud for a whole year? Simply put, do you think they just ruined the greatest feud ever by not having it sooner, and by taking the spark and hatred out of it that we had seen pre-4/4/11??

How many times have faces gone one on one when they "respected" each other? There is a WHOLE YEAR to do this. Let's see what happens.

Yes but my point is, the build up we were getting to a Rock/Cena match was a hate filled, back and forth dissing feud. Rock SCREWED Cena at Mania. This feud should have been personal and intense! I just think taking this edge of it has kinda ruined the feel of the match for me.

Yes there is a whole year, but how can they go back to having it feeling as hyped and intense as it was now that they have shaken hands...

I am personally glad they both shook each others hand and showed respect for one another.

For neither of them to not have respect for each other would make it stupid. Both of these men have accomplished amazing things in the WWE, they both know that, they both aren't stupid. As The Rock said, liking one another and respecting one another are two different things. I think it will make the feud more believable and better for the fans, especially the ones who are stuck between both of them.

If this match has clinical timing, execution and doesn't bore the tits off us like the Miz/Cena main event did, then it will go down in the history books, period. Forget two icons colliding, this is two generations colliding, the king of the attitude era vs the king of the PG era, I personally CANNOT WAIT.

I hope Cena wins, because this might actually make me like him. And I hope The Rock doesn't lose by getting beat up, I actually hope he dominants and loses. Both of them should also shake hands and become friends at the end of this match as well, because it will leave a good taste in our mouths and conclude what potentially could be the best Wrestlemania ever - depending on the other matches obviously.

No idea how they will build this up over the whole year, I hope they leave it for a while and The Rock doesn't come back until Mania season next year. He can go make more movies for me to enjoy.

RAW last night was better than Wrestlemania itself.

how are we supposed to be amped for a match where both men have respect for each other and nothing seem's personal anymore?

Someone once told me that you can never please a wrestling fan. You could give them Bret Hart vs Shawm Michaels again, both in their prime, for 60 minutes and someone would find an issue with it. Not a dig against you bro, but it is true.

Anyway, to the point. Meh, I'm not so bothered by this. I mean, some of the best feuds have been between guys who have respected each other. Remember Rock vs Austin at WM X7. They didn't like eachother. But they did respect eachother. It's a bit different, I'll grant you that, but its similar.

Also, remember, Cena hit the AA on Rock first. Cena is the kind of character that would say 'I hit you, you hit me back. We're even.'

You have to remember as well that they're both playing professionals, and they both got what they want; a match. Everything will get settled with that; they don't neccessarily need to kick eachothers ass now; it will get settled when they have their match. Obviously that wont happen, and there's going to be some build up through the year, but for now, the match is set. I am VERY happy.

theres a whole year to fill in with hatred.

for all we know what cud happen is tht cena becomes champ and rock wins the rumble or the other way around or god knows what else.

im not saying it will happen but there r endless possibilities

theres a whole year before us until tht match

Haven't seen RAW yet, but after last night Rock and Cena shook hands??? Sheesh. This is wrestling, Cena, GTE PI$$ED already!!! Stop being such a disgusting class act - scratch that, even a class act would be pi$$ed if you cost him the title at Mania. They had several paths to choose from here. The best one would have been a Cena heel turn. The worst one, I imagine, is Cena saying forgive and forget, as long as we'll have a match one day. Ugh.

Ok, maybe actually watching it tonight will change my mind, but from what I read I'm not optimistic.

Nah they didn't ruin a thing. Cena heard what he wanted to hear from the Rock, which was "I respect you". Yeah he did screw him, but Cena's been screwed plenty of times. Also, this match needs to happen at Wrestlemania. I was thinking it was going to be Summerslam, which would have been OK, but what would have happened if Hogan/Rock was Summerslam? It NEEDS to be at Wrestlemania. And you can't set the match now, and have them both "with hate filled eyes" for a year straight. It just won't work. It seemed they might be setting up a Rock/Cena team against Corre or something. But it just won't work for a year of them one upping each other and hating each other. It will be exciting, and will gain much intensity next January I'm sure.

Also... who else but THE ROCK could be in TWO "tyson vs ali" type matches?

I think we can look towards Rock v Austin at WM 17 and Rock v Hogan at WM 18. Both showed how to build a match around two guys who showed respect for each other. These two do not have to be hating each other to make this work. The WWE have a whole year to build this. Its like going back in the day where fueds were built over months and there was a huge pay off at the end. Fans today dont have the patience to see that all the time (thank you for that Bischoff, Russo and Hogan's WCW).

The Rock will need to train hard for it though. From what I have seen he has lost a bit of speed and the ring rust was obviously there.

I think this is going to be amazing though, its just a shame that Vince is giving The Rock someone who could have an epic match with, CM Punk would be great, but thats not the super match.

Did you see how badly Cena was holding back the urge to mark out after Rock accepted a WrestleMania match... and when they had the face off... Cena could barely hold back the smile. John Cena is obviously very emotional about the situation. Rock really must have been Cena's favorite, and John Cena was certainly one of the millions... and millions.

I was going to say almost exactly what Fisheatppl said... for I've said in numerous posts on various threads how Rock v Cena can ONLY be at WrestleMania. I do love being right..
WrestleMania 28 is a great idea, and it will be HUGE. A year to build upon what's already been epic. The Rock's hometown of Miami. He has a year to get into ring shape... (work on his nip-up) train and build muscle. I think by December or January of next year he'll be wrestling (errm... entertaining, sorry) full time to promote and make for the best possible build up... and no they can't be feuding all year! They'll both be babyfaces... and I think John Cena will remain a babyface at least until WrestleMania or afterward.

I think we can look towards Rock v Austin at WM 17 and Rock v Hogan at WM 18. Both showed how to build a match around two guys who showed respect for each other. These two do not have to be hating each other to make this work.The WWE have a whole year to build this. Its like going back in the day where fueds were built over months and there was a huge pay off at the end. Fans today dont have the patience to see that all the time (thank you for that Bischoff, Russo and Hogan's WCW).

HA! I am raising the BS flag on that, WCW is the NOT only one guilty of what you just accused them of, thank WWE for ruining a lot of shit and rushing things. Like the Hogan-Rock WM 18 bout you just mentioned. WWF let the sentimentality of the fans get in the way of what should have been a more bitter feud and that match may have ended with respect but it sure as hell didn't start that way. I mean unless you consider it respectful to bash someone in the back of the head with a hammer and then drive a big rig into the ambulance that you put them in. If you remember this angle all that well which I can tell you don't, then you'd have known that was the storyline with Hogan and The Rock, a vehement dislike of one another is what started that feud, not respect.

I won't say that WCW was completely perfect and I never will, but please oh please don't paint WWE out as doing no wrong. And if you can thank anyone for WCW thank the heartless and soulless corporate sector of our world. Which one day you might see WWE join the ranks of, never rule it out.

But yeah man, check the history I could be wrong, but Hogan-Rock was built on anything but respect, and the nWo storyline as a result was rushed because WWF did not want to invest in making Hogan a long term heel. And the storyline therefore got buried not even six months into its revival. Talk about not having a payoff. nWo 2002 was a bust and WWF/E did all that, can't blame WCW for that one.

I honestly don't think they ruined the feud but I think that its an interesting concept to set up a main event one year in advance because a whole dynamic could shift in a year, will the Rock still be around all year doing this and that, will he wrestle guys like the Miz in the meantime, will he team up with Cena to take on the Corre? Will Cena or Rock be WWE champion come Wrestlemania... I mean it does make you wonder, but here's where it could get dicey, if one of them gets injured (like John usually does) then we lose the main event we had been waiting for.

But if the Rock stays around, I think that'll be what builds this feud it'll be like when Hogan and Warrior squared off for the first time, if they build it like that then this thing can be memorable, but if its just there will be a main event and they talk about it like 9 months later then honestly its going to be a big let down...

Here is a bigger question though. What does this mean for Cena in the WWE title picture? Does he win the title again and if he does going into wrestlemania, is it non title? Or do a crazy thing and not have the title on the line?

I think they did, I find it ridiculous that they have to focus on wresltemania 28 a year earlier, theres no sense of mysteriousness in this anymore, that is bull s***. John Cena can't win the rumble or win elimination chamber or any number one contender, he can't go into wrestlemania as the champion. This match should have been announced to an earlier major show, such as... SummerSlam.

We asked, craved and demanded something from the WWE and finally, we have got that!

This is the kind of match that happens once in a decade and it will happen at WM 28.

I think it is a perfect way to portray the match and the storyline. The Rock did not exactly scre John Cena, he gave him the chance but it was already a count out. And you knew it beforehand that the payback was coming, baby!!!

These are the two guys that respect each other. The icons of their respective era. It will be a great match with the same kind of build up that they're gonna display.
Speaking of John Cena, I don't know till what time they're gonna allow him being the babyface, because as evident, he is not getting the cheers anymore. I am not wasting my time in making out the possible storylines how it will happen. I just want to see how it plays out.

Ruined it?? Dude they just changed it from a grudge match to an epic encounter!! Think of all the epic matches we've seen. Hogan/Rock, Taker/Michaels, Hunter/Taker, Austin/Rock. There's always been that element of respect there. It makes both superstars look better than they are. As Y2J said in his book, if you bury your opponent....it just looks like you beat up a jabroni. If you make him sound amazing...so amazing he's earned your respect....you both look like legends and the winner looks like a God. Never has a match been built up over the course of 1 year. I'm excited yet anxious to see how WWE creative can even handle something of this magnitude considering WWE is known for it's anti-continuity.

They didn't ruin anything. If anything, last night's RAW made up for a very lackluster Wrestlemania.

And no one should read too much into handshakes in wrestling. If anything, a handshake between wrestlers almost guarantees one guy is going to stab the other in the back. Hasn't anyone ever seen a Jacques Rougeau match? How'd that handshake between the Rockers in 1992 end for Marty Jannetty? Face meet glass.

I'm not predicting Cena turns heel, but the match is taking place in Rock's hometown, Miami. The heat on Cena will be palbable. The chorus of boos that will rain down on him will be second only to the boos Rock himself heard in Toronto when Hogan returned 10 years earlier at WM X8. Think about that for a second, 10 years later and now Cena is in Rocks place while Rock is in Hogan's position. It's the same scenario, only roles reversed for Rock. Rock turned heel in 03 largely due to the boos he heard at Mania X8, so if Cena encounters the same level of epic heat from fans that Rock did, this may be the time for Cena to have his Hogan-Bash At The Beach moment.

I just hope The Rock grows the peoples sideburns back in time for Mania 28. : )

I think they did, I find it ridiculous that they have to focus on wresltemania 28 a year earlier, theres no sense of mysteriousness in this anymore, that is bull s***. John Cena can't win the rumble or win elimination chamber or any number one contender, he can't go into wrestlemania as the champion. This match should have been announced to an earlier major show, such as... SummerSlam.

Summerslam is in no way big enough for these two icons to meet. No show is as big as Wrestlemania and this is the only stage that these two can meet on.

I have heard Wrestlemania 27 being thought as a "sacrifice" event and that is exactly what it feels like now. We all had to watch the show a few nights ago in anticipation for a show from a year from now. Now all they need to do is make it an option to pay for it now and I wouldn't put that past Vince.

Good marketing and I along with several others I'm sure is excited for the year to come.

have they possibly ruined one of the best feuds ever?
no they have not, i was thrilled at the shot of seeing rock and cena go 1 on 1 at wrestlemania, a whole year to build up a rivalry, which must be done right, which means we need to see less of the rock now on camera, that is of course, which will be announced next week by my guessing, a rock vs miz encounter at the 2nd biggest pay per view of the year, SUMMERSLAM. in the meantime you'll get cena vs miz rock becoming guest ref, rescrewing john cena in those matches to add element to the rivalry. speaking of the corre, they made them look like the weakest faction i've witnessed in my 5 years of watching wwe, by making them lose a 2 minute match at wm, then get beaten up the next night, wow.

i can smell rock and cena teaming up to win the tag titles like cena and batista did at summerslam 08.

and you can practically bank on rock v miz at summerslam this year

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back