• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's So Great About CM Punk?

A really sad thread here. You can almost say that this guy is just trying to impress some of the higher ranked posters here by supporting John Cena. OP, if you wanted some green rep, you could have just asked me.

What's so good about CM Punk? I ask, what is so bad about him anyway? It is one thing not to be a fan, it is quite another thing to think that a great guy is utter shit. Punk is a fantastic mic worker. He can be funny when it is neccesary and even dead serious all in the matter of a second. He may have bitched and moaned a bit in his shoot promo but after that he has rarely done so. Once he attracted all the mainstream attention, he has realized in kayfabe that he has done WWE a world of good and now he is milking that position by showing an utter disregard for authority figures. If you cannot understand this little fact, you are just not hating Punk, you are not even understanding a simple pro wrestling plot which also involves your hero, John Cena.

Punk is also very good in the ring. He sells extremely well and his offense isn't anything to scoff at either. He is particularily ruthless and vicious when he is dominating which is the sign of a good heel. He botches a bit but that only happens in long matches and also because he uses a few moves that are a bit difficult to execute. Still, it is not something that he should be hated for.

Also I want to ask how Cena has come into this discussion. It is laughable that you have infact just praised Cena in your post and not raised any points to question Punk's greatness.

I'm with you on CM Punk. I dont get all the love? The only thing I can think of is Punk has an indie background which immediately makes him loved by certain members of the IWC. It doesn't matter how good or how bad you are, if you have the words 'Indie' on your CV you are automatically loved.

Let me tell you something. I'm from India. I had never seen any of Punk's indy stuff until a month ago and that too because I heard that this story of his was very similar to his Summer of Punk storyline in ROH.

I started liking Punk after he feuded with Jeff Hardy and if SummerSlam 2009 buyrates are any indication most other fans liked it too. Face facts dude, Punk is a great superstar. He has done some good work in ROH but great work in the WWE as well. People are liking him now because of what he is doing now, not for what he did years back in ROH.

You may say that the SES and the New Nexus were failures as factions but do you think that his feuds with Rey Mysterio and Randy Orton, two feuds which involved these two factions were failures as well? You would have to be dumb to think so. They were great feuds and show that nothing can slow Punk down, not even some weak booking around a worthless faction.

I don't understand the love you guys give him. He is decent in ring or on the mic. It's really starting to sicken me.
John Cena is better than him. John Cena is the most hard working wrestler today, I would even consider him in the top 5 hardest workers of all time. That's just me. I think Punk is so overrated in my opinion it's not even funny anymore. Crying and moaning that you're being held down isn't how you become a top guy.Being the best in the world and getting reactions from crowds every single night even when you get booked in a bad storyline is how you get to be top dog.He's simply not on the level of John Cena or Randy Orton.

Dude you're an idiot. Decent in the ring? His ring skills are definitely in the top 3 in the WWE. FAR beyond the skills on Juan Cena. Mic skills decent?? This guy is the best on the pipe bomb today HANDS DOWN. NO ONE COMPARES. John Cena is not better. He may have a better physique, doesn't make him better. He may be put in better positions cause 5 year olds like you buy his bright ass t shirts. Doesn't make him better. He may have held more championships, doesn't make him better. David Arquette held a fucking championship. He is a top guy. Two MITB in a row?? Main events vs Undertaker? He fucking beat John Cena twice for the belt. "Being the best in the world and getting reactions from crowds every single night even when you get booked in a bad storyline is how you get to be top dog." You're even more of an idiot for that. The dude has rocked out more arenas to CM PUNK chants than that bs fozzy band will ever. Watch the money in the bank ppv from 2010. I believe it was MITB. But it was in chicago. He insulted the crowd and the still chanted CM PUNK. Dude is definitely the best in the world. John Cena makes me sick and his fans make me even sicker. It's like they wanna new Hulkamania so bad but the dude will never even aproach that level. Never. Wonder why you hear CENA SUCKS every monday???:lmao:

What's so great about CM Punk? Really? Well, nothing much other than he's the hottest thing going in WWE right now. Everyone waits with anticipation on what Punk will do or say next and his mic work is actually getting more attention than his ring work and rightfully so. His promos as of late have not only been awesome, but believable. I am almost believing that he really does mean the things he says. He is the 21st-century Steve Austin--an antagonist who apparently doesn't give a damn about authority. Now Austin had the more aggressive personality but Punk is the better smart-ass. He is the best in WWE right now on the mic. In the ring, I think Orton's a little better right now but Punk is right up there.

As far as Cena goes, I love Cena, but it is way past time for a character overhaul. Punk adjusted his character and look what it has gotten him. He is WAY over right now. Randy Orton has adjusted his character and look where he is on Smackdown. Cena needs an AA of his own and why WWE keeps milking this, I don't know. If half the arena or more is booing the guy, you either need to do something that will get those booing him back on his side or you need to fully turn him heel.

Either way, Punk is the man to watch right now in all of WWE, period.

To be honest, I kind of liked Punk better when he was the straigt edge superstar; that's when he did his greatest promos. Aside from the promo when the mic was cut, Punks recent promos have just been obnoxious, long winded rants. You, I, and everyone that post on this site can do the types of promos that Punk does. There's no talent in that. Talent comes when you can create an original charater and develope that charater through the use of character oriented actions and promos. Punk is just shooting.

Why Wrestling fans love Cm Punk.. because he speaks the TRUTH and let's you know what's really going on and there isn't a wrestling fan in the world with common sense that doesn't appreciate that or like the interesting edge he's brough back to the show . Something it hasn't had since prior to going Pg. I love watching the show now it's gotten so much more interesting since CM punk became who he did and i appreiciate all he put's out there as it make's for a very entertaining monday night .

Also just a side note is there anybody who could do me up a sexay !Eve torres Signature i think there called ?. I'm just new on here so don't quite know how to make those just yet

Well, that's your opinion, but I have to disagree. CM Punk is better than John Cena. CM Punk has amazing mike skills: look at, for example, that first promo that got everyone's attention before MITB and then look at John Cena's horrible Doctor note promo before Wrestlemania. There's no comparison. CM Punk's promo was real and exciting to watch. Everything he said was truth. John Cena's promo was bizarre and boring. One of the worst promos I've ever seen. Cena has no charisma or personality. Punk always has me hanging on every word. Cena just bores me to tears in his promos and in the ring. Also, I guess I maybe one of the few women wrestling fans that doesn't think Cena is hot. I'd pick Punk over Cena in a heartbeat. But I digress...

Sure, John Cena's a hard worker. But isn't he paid to do be a hard worker? And does that mean that other wrestlers, that aren't on the top hard working wrestler list, don't work as hard as John Cena? To me, all of the wrestlers on the roster are hard workers because this is a difficult business that takes a toll on the body and mind. They all have to work hard to get where they are today, not just John Cena. Cena just doesn't have the overall skills to be top guy like Punk. He is considered to be the top guy, but I don't have to like it.

CM Punk wasn't "crying and moaning" about not being given a shot because he is the best in the world. He was stating a fact: He is the Best in the World. CM Punk, up until now, hasn't been given the push he deserves. It would only be crying and moaning if he couldn't back it up. He can and does everytime he's in the ring or on the mike.

For me, it's the fact that Punk's character represents all the guys out there who have never had the guts to stand up for themselves against higher ups, even then those bosses were doing a lousy job.

And he looks normal. If you saw him on the streets, you would never think he was a wrestler. He looks like one of my friends. He's not roided up, nor is he a big guy. He looks like the average man.

And his worked shoots come off as real. You know how many people thought what he was saying was unscripted that first promo?

I don't understand the love you guys give him. He is decent in ring or on the mic. It's really starting to sicken me.
John Cena is better than him. John Cena is the most hard working wrestler today, I would even consider him in the top 5 hardest workers of all time. That's just me. I think Punk is so overrated in my opinion it's not even funny anymore. Crying and moaning that you're being held down isn't how you become a top guy.Being the best in the world and getting reactions from crowds every single night even when you get booked in a bad storyline is how you get to be top dog.He's simply not on the level of John Cena or Randy Orton.

This thread is so ridiculous, I don't know I'm forcing myself to be here. But I want to get something straight.

John Cena is great, he is a hard worker and he makes great matches. He's earned my respect because he put over CM Punk 3 times.

And as for CM Punk, he is not that much of a draw, but you know what he is? He is the most interesting thing going now. He's making wrestling fun again, he's making TV Shows interesting. He's making me tune in every week. Why? Because he makes fucking great matches, he's a GREAT wrestler. He's GREAT on the microphone. If you don't see that, than you must think Randy Orton is good on the mic.

Randy Orton can't put ANYBODY over. He's a boring in the ring and he over acts his character. John Cena is cool, but Randy Orton is Blandy Boreton. If you really think he's better than CM Punk, you really need to get your head out your ass and star taking notes.

CM Punk may not be as much of a draw, but that only makes him UNDERRATED. John Cena and Randy Orton are pushed to the top, their TV show matches are as predictable as Hulk Hogan's matches.

I'm a Cena fan through and through, but there's no denying that CM Punk is damn entertaining. He's cut some of the best promos all year, including one that singlehandedly broke WrestleZone's most online users record, a record that was previously set by Nexus's debut. He also has been in what I think is the undisputed best match of 2011, and has been in other 3 to 4 star matches with the likes of Cena, Orton, and Rey Mysterio.

What's so great about Punk? He's the WWE's biggest attraction for the ever growing number of smarky fans. Cena and Orton are still by far the company's biggest draws, but CM Punk allows them to capture the IWC and the smarks. It's not even a matter of capturing MOST of the IWC or capturing MOST of the smarks, CM Punk seems to have these tough groups falling for him hook, line, and sinker. He's the WWE's biggest draw for the IWC/Smarky crowd, and he doesn't seem to be doing to shabby with the mainstream audiences either, who haven't totally accepted him yet, but haven't rejected him either.

Everyone looks for different things in wrestlers. It's why some people love Rey Mysterio and some can't stand him. It's why some people adore John Cena while others despise him. CM Punk has certain qualities that make a big audience go crazy for him, and that's a tool that the WWE is glad to have in their belt.

I'm gonna play naive here and assume this isn't a troll and take it seriously.

Thing is, I don't LIKE CM Punk personally. I don't identify with him, in spite of being something of a straight edge punk myself. But I don't dislike him at all either. In fact I respect him.

He's sort of ho hum on the mic in terms of excitement and charisma, it's really only the things he's saying that make any kind of noise at all. They're the kind of "oh s**t he didn't just say that!" kinds of things, and that's good because there's a lot of people out there that think exactly what he's saying.

His gimmick is solid, certainly better than Cena's by a mile, but it's nothing special either. He reminds me a lot of a goth-LARPing friend I had in school. Tattoos & piercings all over the place, small & scrawny, melodramatic rather than over the top, sits cross-legged to do his promos. It all reminds me of this guy I used to know. CM Punk just needs to start wearing a black leather kilt and it'll be complete. He's a good wrestler, but has never blown me away with his in-ring performance. But you put everything together and you've got a strong character, and apparently it resonates well with fans.

Good. It doesn't do much for me, but I don't think he will ever do anything or be anything that pisses me off and makes me thing he does anything that's a detriment of the business. If there's a good sized demographic that loves him then all the better. Put him on a long quest to get to the top, tease it a few times to get more and more people on his bandwagon and then when you put him on top give him a good supporting cast so he doesn't have to carry everything like Cena did.

I'm happy he's generating interest again and helping to make the business as a whole better. It's entertaining, and in the meantime I'll stay where I usually am, supporting some mid-card guy most people hate, but will undoubtedly make the hall of fame someday as long as he keeps on the same track.

Just because you're not the guy that fits the CM Punk demographic is no reason to hate on him, he's doing his part and he's doing better than most have done in a long time. Support him, don't demonize him.

I don't understand the love you guys give him. He is decent in ring or on the mic.
Well, what you call decent, myself, a lot of other people on this site, and WWE management would call pretty fucking great, considering that they just resigned him to a contract that seems like Punk got to dictate the terms of for a large part. And I can tell you with 100% certainty that Vince didn't do that because of what I, or anyone else on these forums, says or thinks.

John Cena is better than him. John Cena is the most hard working wrestler today, I would even consider him in the top 5 hardest workers of all time.
Like others have said, harder working doesn't mean better. it simply means that being a great PROFESSIONAL WRESTLER is what comes naturally to CM Punk, therefore he just doesn't have to work as hard as Cena.

Crying and moaning that you're being held down isn't how you become a top guy.Being the best in the world and getting reactions from crowds every single night even when you get booked in a bad storyline is how you get to be top dog.
Wasn't talking about management holding you down and then rising above it to become the top guy in the company, despite what management thought or did, the very basis of the Stone Cold character? And Punk didn't just bitch and complain, that was just part of the build up to the match itself, he then went on to beat the Face of the Company twice in back to back PPVs for the title, and that was after pinning him in a tag match a few weeks earlier. who was the last person you can remember holding THREE back to back pin fall victories over Cena?

He's simply not on the level of John Cena or Randy Orton.
You're right, He's not... He's on a level all his own, and I think that is why so many people love him, because he's not trying to be the next Cena, or the next Orton. He's not even trying to be the next Steve Austin, who a lot of people like to compare him to. He's simply being CM Punk, and thats all he really wants to be.

Here we go again...

1st of all, do you have any proof that cena is a top 5 hard worker in history, or you just saying that because flair, hhh, and a bunch of wrestlers mentioned it? Either way, CM punk is getting big week after week, and the fans getting sick of cena is a huge reason behind it, IMO. They're getting tired of seeing cena on the top. They want to see something different. They want a change.

Punk is the edge, he is the button pusher and he is doing it at a time when people are getting tired of the bland childish storylines. Punk brings back memories of how things use to be for many and thats why he is getting the attention he has right now. Maybe hes not the best in the world but he is damn good and provides a much needed fix of attitude or edge for the fans.

I am the OP and I want to ask you where was the love before his worked shoot.It's the same Sh** every week,his character is getting so stale now! Using the same insults weekly is torture! The shots at stephanie are lame and predictable. The throwing up bit went on too long and nobody even supports him. When John Cena or Randy Orton comes the crowd goes mad.

Punk is decent in the ring and one of the best right now on the mic. I would certainly not call him overrated. He may not get the reactions of Cena or Orton, but they are the two top guys. To say Punk sucks just because Cena/Orton are on another level is a little unfair. There has always been an issue of top guys being a little less skilled than some of the secondary guys. It happens in every single era. That doesn't mean the secondary guys aren't any good. If you don't like him then that's fine, but Punk works hard and is good at what he does. Look at his promos alone, you can't tell us those aren't good.

cm punk is only good on the mic when he is saying "what the smarks feel".As for in the ring i can't take away from him he is good in the ring but just not as great as he think or other people think he is.

I am the OP and I want to ask you where was the love before his worked shoot.It's the same Sh** every week,his character is getting so stale now! Using the same insults weekly is torture! The shots at stephanie are lame and predictable. The throwing up bit went on too long and nobody even supports him. When John Cena or Randy Orton comes the crowd goes mad.

Exactly, hell, Yoshi Tatsu could probably come out there and do worked shoots and the all of the "smart" guys would start loving him too. All Punk does is come out and shoot, Austin did the same thing in ECW and, to a lesser extent, when he first became Stone Cold but he eventually formed a gimmick of a guy that isn't taking crap anymore out of it. Punk isn't doing that, he's just airing dirty laundry and the legitimate business side of things. He isn't giving off the vibe of someone that isn't taking crap from anyone anymore, he's just giving of an elitist "I know more than you" vibe. In fact, Punk is a fuckin' hipster, now I know why I don't like him. All he has to do now is start wearing tight pants and saying "meta" before everything. I used to like Punk and I thought they could've done more with SES but oh, well. Another thing, Punk isn't the most entertaining person in sports entertainment today, The Rock is. So, what if he's been gone for a few months because he's off doing his day job? The man isn't full time anymore and is till better after 7 years than anything they have right now and Punk doesn't want to get in the ring and even cut a Promo with The Rock. The Rock scripted is still better than a shooting Punk.

You know what's funny? I remember when everyone loved RKO, I wonder how long it's going to take for everyone to turn on Punk the same way they turned on him. Probably a full face turn.

Also, to the people who think they're smart to pro wrestling/sports entertainment, a pro wrestler, I think it was Al Snow, said it best. How can you be smart to something when the intention is to lie to you?

I have to say that part of me agrees with what the OP is saying. Don't get me wrong, CM Punk has become a great storyteller in the ring and he's definitely one of the top perfomers from bell to bell. That being said his "shoot" promos are not really telling a story, they aren't really progressing a storyline, they are just him telling his truths to the audience. It's become the same rhetoric, especially with HHH and the who wears the pants jokes. It was funny...the first time. Now it's just boring. Conspiracy this, screw me over that. He should take notes from the Rock/Cena as to how to build a story. The Rock has his catchphrases, but he was/is 1 million times entertaining than CM Punk.

The only thing I actually like about Punk is his in ring ability. His moveset is unique and he knows how to work a crowd and he knows his way around the ring. He mixes in some high flying moves with some ground attacks and Im pretty sure no one uses the knees the way he does. If he could sit down with some of the greats and work on his promos, he would be one of the best. Airing dirty laundry about locker room, behind the curtain business doesn't excite me. I don't care about your new contract or the perks you get because of it.

because he saved us from cena...
by only getting huge reactions when he's with Cena? When those reactions are typically "Lets go Cena Cena sucks" nothing about Punk in there.

Punk doesn't get much of a reaction. Most audiences except those in smarkets seem annoyed by him. He doesn't even really respond to HHH in his promos. HHH will say a lot of stuff about how Punk is obviously a hypocrit and how WWE has done a lot for Punk and Punk basically says "yea...well.....I think the product is shitty and I want to make it better" which is basically how smarks sound. It's annoying. Nothing really constructive to say or really any intelligent analysis of what's going on.

You need to pull your head out of your ass and seperate fanhood from what's actually happening. Cena makes everyone care about his match. RVD, Punk himself, Samoa Joe, Harley Race, Ric Flair, and countless others have said he's good in the ring. What more do you want?

really because chavo guerro have even stated cena cant wrestle booker t said cena has limited wrestling skills from tuesday night smackdown

and i dont care if cena brings out emotion with half the crowd chanting he rules and the other half saying he sucks no 1 should say cena sucks

but you cant honestly think believe cena isn't repetitive, week in week out he saids the same old pg crap then he gets beaten up the whole match then a few shoulder blocks a spinning back slam and a 5 knuckle snuffle then an aa and he wins? HE DOES THAT EVERY WEEK

i will like cena if these things happen
1. he learns how to wrestle better
2. upgrades the 5 moves of doom [cena even said he only has 5 moves on raw]
3. stays out of the championship for 12 months
4. heel turn
5. stopped being shove down our throats

WEVE CENANUFF!

To the people saying Punk is only good because he did a shoot promo, that is the dumbest thing you could say. Why isn't everyone on the roster doing shoot promo's then to become relevant. Who else could have done what he did and become as big as he has become in such a short amount of time? If it was that simple then it would have been done 100's of times before. It's the way he delivered the promo which made him so relevant. He blurred fiction and reality by delivering it with so much pure emotion. You could feel his frustration and anger as it was REAL. He also truly believed everything he said and this came across to the audience. He also knew he had the talent to back it up on the mic and in the ring which he did so. If he wasn't that good he wouldn't if been able to do the promo in the first place. I don't know why people are hating on this guy when he is the freshest thing we have seen in years, I guess people will always find something to hate on.

I think CM Punk's character might be too complex for some people to understand.
lol no hes just a whiner. Like I always say, he's like the kids who bash mainstream music and only listen to underground rock. He annoys the fuck out of everyone else, but to his friends (fans), they think the others "are just too stupid to understand, it's too complex".

Explain what's so complex about Punk's character. Come on, enthrall me with your vast knowledge of pro wrestling.

really because chavo guerro have even stated cena cant wrestle booker t said cena has limited wrestling skills from tuesday night smackdown

and i dont care if cena brings out emotion with half the crowd chanting he rules and the other half saying he sucks no 1 should say cena sucks

but you cant honestly think believe cena isn't repetitive, week in week out he saids the same old pg crap then he gets beaten up the whole match then a few shoulder blocks a spinning back slam and a 5 knuckle snuffle then an aa and he wins? HE DOES THAT EVERY WEEK

i will like cena if these things happen
1. he learns how to wrestle better
2. upgrades the 5 moves of doom [cena even said he only has 5 moves on raw]
3. stays out of the championship for 12 months
4. heel turn
5. stopped being shove down our throats

WEVE CENANUFF!
Chavo Guerrero, the 6th highest drawing Guerrero of all time says that. Wow, that's big. I mean, sure Flair draw more at 80 years of age than he ever did, sure Race trains guys who draw more than Chavo ever did, sure CM Punk is more over than chavo ever was, sure Samoa Joe drew more in ROH than Chavo ever did, sure RVD drew more in ECW than Chavo ever did, but you know what, they're all fucking wrong and CHAVO GUERRERO'S opinion, because it matches yours, is right.

As for Booker T, what he's basically saying is "with only a few moves, Cena is the most over guy on the planet" which is a fucking complement you dipshit.

1. "Learns how to wrestle better" like what? Does more MOOOOVEZ??!!? Fuck that, he sells well, tells in ring stories, and is one of the best at ring psychology. Then again, you know more than the guys listed above. I mean, at age 16, which the guys above probably have close to that in ring time, know more than them.

2. Upgrade his 5 moves? So yea, you want more moves, because you're a simple minded idiot who doesn't get pro wrestling. I've never once heard a legit pro wrestling talk about how doing more moves makes you better. Also, I'd be willing to be that Cena does more moves than a lot of guys on the roster.

3. stays out of the championship for a year. Wasn't he out of it for a while not too long ago? Also, he's the most over guy in the company. Which means that MOST people want to see him in it. But you're right, your opinion is more important than most other people's combined.

4. Heel turn. Yea, change his character so that Rock vs Cena isn't iconic. Also, lol @ you for suggesting a heel turn. So smarky of you. Fuckin turn everyone heel. What would turning Cena heel do? It'd mean merch sales would go down and smarks would like him. So basically, since smarks like heels, and they want Cena to turn heel, they want to like Cena. You're such a fucking mark. You cheer guys you like (mostly heels) and boo guys you don't like (mostly faces). Marks do the same fucking thing. The difference is you think you aren't a mark. However, because everything you say is your opinion of what you like, and not an objective look at "he does this good" you come across as a complete idiot. You have NOTHING to back up your claim other than your opinion.

5. "Stop being shoved down our throats" Think about this smart guy, WWE pushes guys, if they get over, they push them some more. If WWE has been pushing Cena a lot....he must have been getting over for a looooong time. So basically you're telling WWE to stop making money and Cena to stop doing a good job.

Explain what's so complex about Punk's character. Come on, enthrall me with your vast knowledge of pro wrestling.

He's a walking dichotomy. He just blows my mind. It's like, he's a punk, but he's straight edge. He's a face, but he's not in good with the boss. I can't get my mind around it! It's like a Mayan calendar, what's going to happen when the calendar ends!? Did Randy Savage die to save us all?

Punk IS different what with the straight edge punk thing going on. But he's just a mixture of Raven & Austin. That's a good thing, obviously there's a very vocal minority that think he's the second coming of Christ. But compare CM Punk to Steve Austin 2 months after debuting Austin 3:16 and CM Punk is doing amazing. Granted Austin wasn't pushed like Punk was (so early) but even with that taken into account Punk is still growing in popularity and he's doing very well for himself as a draw. He certainly hasn't topped out yet.

Everything about Punk is absolutely fantastic. He won me over from his feud with Jeff, and now he had the oppurtunity to take the ball and he really did run with it. Punk is amazing in the ring, and is the BEST on the mic right now in this business. I can watch a 2 hour raw of CM Punk talking in all honesty. All he needs is to build on his legacy which at the moment he is doing it pretty damn well. Punk has a complicated dynamic to him that maybe a lot of people wont really understand what hes talkingg about half the time, but we have to sit through stupid comedic jokes cena makes so soemtimes every fan has to deal with soemthing they dont like.
So there is a lot of great about CM Punk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back