• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CM Punk Observation

TWJC: The Beginning

Royal Rumble Winner
K, so I'm not sure if this is in the right spot. Don't even know how much discussion it will generate given what it's about.

CM Punk had a pretty famous trilogy of matches against Samoa Joe. At least 1 had the accolade of "5 star match" from the observer for what it's worth. Essentially, 2 one hour draws and then a 3rd brutal match.

CM Punk has had 2 pretty awesome matches against John Cena, the first also getting the "5 star match" accolade from the Observer (again, for what it's worth).

In watching Punk vs Cena tonight I couldn't help but notice a TON of similarities between the two sets of matches.

Samoa Joe in ROH was essentially John Cena (except more movez lol says the ****** in the back). Joe was the face of the company, the champ, and an unstoppable force. Pretty sure he even said "the champ is here" as weird as that might be.

John Cena is the face of the company, the champ, an unstoppable force.

I know, I said MATCH similarities. Well if you go back and watch Joe vs Punk and Cena vs Punk, they're worked essentially the same. Punk comes in with a strategy and really tries for it. That strategy is to tire out the larger opponent and do a little bit more flying than usual. Against Joe that was a headlock, against Cena, it's working the ribs and solar plexus. Not only that but you also got what some people call "learned psychology".

An example of "learned psychology" from Joe vs Punk is that in the first two matches, Punk goes for a diving hurricarana off the apron, Joe catches him, then slings him into the guard rail. In the third match, Punk dropkicks him from the apron. In Cena vs Punk 1, Punk goes to suplex Cena in the ring, Cena being stronger he suplexes him to the outside. In Cena vs Punk 2, Punk is ready for Cena's counter and doesn't get suplexed to the floor.

Another similarity I saw were the layered counters. Joe vs Punk 1 would have a move done, then in Joe vs Punk 2 there was a counter, in Joe vs Punk 3 there was a counter to that counter. Cena vs Punk 1, Punk countered a lot of Cena's stuff. Cena vs Punk 2, Cena countered a lot of Punk's counters.

I realize that a lot of this stuff isn't all that uncommon with good storytellers who have series of matches, but the bare bones of "smart Punk vs unstoppable face of the company" stood out to me and so did the way the story of the match goes.

Like I said, don't know how much discussion this will lead to seeing as you would have both seen all 5 matches and actually picked up on the in ring story. Just wondering if anyone else noticed these things and what your thoughts are on it.

I guess in closing I will say that even though I think Punk's fans overrate him, he's fuckin awesome at telling a story when he's against the "unbeatable" face of the company.

K, so I'm not sure if this is in the right spot. Don't even know how much discussion it will generate given what it's about.

CM Punk had a pretty famous trilogy of matches against Samoa Joe. At least 1 had the accolade of "5 star match" from the observer for what it's worth. Essentially, 2 one hour draws and then a 3rd brutal match.

CM Punk has had 2 pretty awesome matches against John Cena, the first also getting the "5 star match" accolade from the Observer (again, for what it's worth).

In watching Punk vs Cena tonight I couldn't help but notice a TON of similarities between the two sets of matches.

Samoa Joe in ROH was essentially John Cena (except more movez lol says the ****** in the back). Joe was the face of the company, the champ, and an unstoppable force. Pretty sure he even said "the champ is here" as weird as that might be.

John Cena is the face of the company, the champ, an unstoppable force.

I know, I said MATCH similarities. Well if you go back and watch Joe vs Punk and Cena vs Punk, they're worked essentially the same. Punk comes in with a strategy and really tries for it. That strategy is to tire out the larger opponent and do a little bit more flying than usual. Against Joe that was a headlock, against Cena, it's working the ribs and solar plexus. Not only that but you also got what some people call "learned psychology".

An example of "learned psychology" from Joe vs Punk is that in the first two matches, Punk goes for a diving hurricarana off the apron, Joe catches him, then slings him into the guard rail. In the third match, Punk dropkicks him from the apron. In Cena vs Punk 1, Punk goes to suplex Cena in the ring, Cena being stronger he suplexes him to the outside. In Cena vs Punk 2, Punk is ready for Cena's counter and doesn't get suplexed to the floor.

Another similarity I saw were the layered counters. Joe vs Punk 1 would have a move done, then in Joe vs Punk 2 there was a counter, in Joe vs Punk 3 there was a counter to that counter. Cena vs Punk 1, Punk countered a lot of Cena's stuff. Cena vs Punk 2, Cena countered a lot of Punk's counters.

I realize that a lot of this stuff isn't all that uncommon with good storytellers who have series of matches, but the bare bones of "smart Punk vs unstoppable face of the company" stood out to me and so did the way the story of the match goes.

Like I said, don't know how much discussion this will lead to seeing as you would have both seen all 5 matches and actually picked up on the in ring story. Just wondering if anyone else noticed these things and what your thoughts are on it.

I guess in closing I will say that even though I think Punk's fans overrate him, he's fuckin awesome at telling a story when he's against the "unbeatable" face of the company.

I agree with you 100% in pointing out many similarities. Definitely saw it. Punk brings out the best in all his opponents! No matter who it is or what the story line is. His fans, me included, praise for that fact alone but because he does try and IS that good.

I agree with you 100% in pointing out many similarities. Definitely saw it. Punk brings out the best in all his opponents! No matter who it is or what the story line is. His fans, me included, praise for that fact alone but because he does try and IS that good.
At the same time though, these matches only work because BOTH guys work hard.

Samoa Joe was generally considered to be a top 10 in the world guy at the time. I consider Cena (and Punk) the same thing now.

So maybe it's not just that Punk is really good, could it be that guys who are the unstoppable "face of the company" type of guy also bring out the best in Punk?

I mean, Punk is already really good, so if he's at his absolute best against guys like Joe and Punk, then maybe they also bring out the best in him.

I think it's true because I think Punk focuses more and really thinks about everything more in those matches. He's a gamer.

At the same time though, these matches only work because BOTH guys work hard.

Samoa Joe was generally considered to be a top 10 in the world guy at the time. I consider Cena (and Punk) the same thing now.

So maybe it's not just that Punk is really good, could it be that guys who are the unstoppable "face of the company" type of guy also bring out the best in Punk?

I mean, Punk is already really good, so if he's at his absolute best against guys like Joe and Punk, then maybe they also bring out the best in him.

I think it's true because I think Punk focuses more and really thinks about everything more in those matches. He's a gamer.
That's it right there. From the moment I saw Punk in ROH till now, he has not let up. He brings his A Game all the time and has great ring Psychology and presence! When he first won his Championship in WWE, it was great because of all the hard work he put in to get there. Look at the program he had with Jeff Hardy. Hardy was nose diving but yet CM Punk was carry his weight and Hardy's dead weight too. Shawn Michaels could always have a great match and carry anyone because he was that damn good. To me, it seems the same with CM Punk. He has proven it.

Joe was good back then and those are definitely classic matches and wish the main companies (WWE/TNA) of today would invest time the way ROH does, but hey, atleast Punk made Cena look decent in the last few bouts. That Five Knucle Shuffle never looked better, right? :lmao:

That's it right there. From the moment I saw Punk in ROH till now, he has not let up. He brings his A Game all the time and has great ring Psychology and presence! When he first won his Championship in WWE, it was great because of all the hard work he put in to get there. Look at the program he had with Jeff Hardy. Hardy was nose diving but yet CM Punk was carry his weight and Hardy's dead weight too. Shawn Michaels could always have a great match and carry anyone because he was that damn good. To me, it seems the same with CM Punk. He has proven it.

Joe was good back then and those are definitely classic matches and wish the main companies (WWE/TNA) of today would invest time the way ROH does, but hey, atleast Punk made Cena look decent in the last few bouts. That Five Knucle Shuffle never looked better, right? :lmao:

You kind of missed my point. My point is that not only is Punk good, but Cena also brings out the best in Punk because Cena's psychology is similar to that of Joes. They use different moves and even different characters, but they both use the "I'm the baddest dude here and you won't beat me" type of character.

You kind of missed my point. My point is that not only is Punk good, but Cena also brings out the best in Punk because Cena's psychology is similar to that of Joes. They use different moves and even different characters, but they both use the "I'm the baddest dude here and you won't beat me" type of character.

No, I see your point. They are the dominant "Best in the World" type of guys that bring out the best in Punk, BUT, Punk brings out the best in them! Case in point, this rivalry with Cena. Don't get me wrong, that series with Joe and this one with Cena are similar in many ways. But don't you think that maybe, it is the other way around this time? Definitely, the moves are going a step ahead each time with newer counters and such. I saw that. Pretty awesome.

Both Joe and Cena are "OK" at best no matter what they label themselves or if they are the force of the company they are at. But, take a look at these last few matches with Cena. Punk brought out the best in him. Punk was already that good. It made Cena look good, finally. It was the same with Joe. In the last match, Punk made Joe look GREAT! Punk had established himself in his move set and ring psychology that he made Joe shine.

Agree, Cena having that attitude going into a match, implying that Punk can't win helps Punk in achieving new heights.
Punk still hasn't won clean over Cena, and that could set up a 3rd insane match between the two, having Punk finally go over Cena clean would be the perfect way for him to launch his career/championship reign or whatever he needs at the time of the 3rd match.

No, I see your point. They are the dominant "Best in the World" type of guys that bring out the best in Punk, BUT, Punk brings out the best in them! Case in point, this rivalry with Cena. Don't get me wrong, that series with Joe and this one with Cena are similar in many ways. But don't you think that maybe, it is the other way around this time? Definitely, the moves are going a step ahead each time with newer counters and such. I saw that. Pretty awesome.

Both Joe and Cena are "OK" at best no matter what they label themselves or if they are the force of the company they are at. But, take a look at these last few matches with Cena. Punk brought out the best in him. Punk was already that good. It made Cena look good, finally. It was the same with Joe. In the last match, Punk made Joe look GREAT! Punk had established himself in his move set and ring psychology that he made Joe shine.
You're starting to make me think you're the type of Punk fan that annoys me. Punk didn't make Joe look great, they MADE EACH OTHER.

My point in this thread is that Punk and "face of the company unbeatables" bring out the best in EACH OTHER. Punk isn't this god in the ring.

Cena has had matches just as good as those with Punk. From a storytelling perspective, it doesn't get much better than Cena vs Umaga at the Royal Rumble in 2007. From a "battle of the titans" it doesn't get any better than Cena vs Batista. Cena vs Jericho, Cena vs HBK were both really good matches too.

It's not like Punk took Alex Shelley and made the crowd actually give a shit about him.

As for Joe, well Joe was in another league. If anything, Joe made Punk in those matches, but really, they made each other and elevated the company.

Punk is the underdog, but he's smart. Which is the perfect foil for the unstoppable face of the company. They need EACH OTHER. This isn't the CM Punk show.

It's kinda like how you could plug in Dean Malenko with any flyer and the built in story of mat guy vs flyer would automatically mean the match is good.

Punk isn't a great athlete, he isn't big, he isn't strong, he isn't fast. He's a smart, average build pro wrestler. So when you put him in the ring against a big unbeatable guy, the story is already halfway built. Punk, being a top 10 in the world guy makes any in ring story where you put him with that sort of guy a great match. When the unstoppable face of the company is also a top 10 in the world guy, it's amazing.

In a nutshell here's what I'm saying. Punk and unstoppable face of the company guys is a great fit. With guys who are near the top in the world, it's some of the best matches you'll see. His matches with Samoa Joe were great, Joe was one of the best in the world. His matches with Cena are great, Cena is one of the best in the world.

You do not have great matches because of one guy.

Agree, Cena having that attitude going into a match, implying that Punk can't win helps Punk in achieving new heights.
Punk still hasn't won clean over Cena, and that could set up a 3rd insane match between the two, having Punk finally go over Cena clean would be the perfect way for him to launch his career/championship reign or whatever he needs at the time of the 3rd match.
I think what you're implying is that you want them to use the same sort of storytelling as Joe vs Punk. Obviously in the WWE you don't do 1 hour draws, it just doesn't work with the audience. They don't even announce the time limits of a match. So in a third match it's kinda like both guys have never really beaten each other in this series. Cena had Punk in a bad position, then got distracted, in match 2, Cena had his foot on the ropes.

I would assume Punk and Cena would structure their 3rd match similarly to the 3rd Joe/Punk being that they both try something totally different than their strategies before.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to get at here because the story about counterig moves in the second match between a series of competitors has always been a part of wrestling. It's an example, as you mentioned, of learned psychology. And yes the matches between Punk and Joe and Cena and Punk basically say the same story because, well, they are similar types of feuds. Actually this whole run of Punk in 2011 has been similar to Punk's run in ROH in 2005 except for the fact that Punk turned into a full fledged heel at the end of the run but he may not do so now. At that point, it was kind of important because Punk was actually leaving ROH at that point. That does not seem to be the case now.

As for Punk elevating himself in such situations, well, that is good for him because he is supposed to do so. Actually if you put any other performer in such a situation as well, he will elevate himself as well. Punk is out to prove something wrong which also essentially implies that he is at a disadvantage in this feud and he has to win from this situation. Well, isn't that Cena's USP as well? The heel performs a few beatdowns on him in the weeks preceding their big match and people tend to believe that there is no chance in hell that Cena will win and when Cena ends up winning, he ends up proving the nay-sayers or the ones who had lost belief in him wrong.

As for Punk elevating his performance only in such feuds, I would disagree. Punk had a great feud with Jeff Hardy and they had a match at SummerSlam that main evented even over Cena vs Orton. And that was a very different storyline. Punk's performance in this feud is better than his performance in his feud with Hardy because even the storyline of this feud is better. Which does not mean that the story of Punk vs Hardy was bad though.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to get at here because the story about counterig moves in the second match between a series of competitors has always been a part of wrestling. It's an example, as you mentioned, of learned psychology. And yes the matches between Punk and Joe and Cena and Punk basically say the same story because, well, they are similar types of feuds. Actually this whole run of Punk in 2011 has been similar to Punk's run in ROH in 2005 except for the fact that Punk turned into a full fledged heel at the end of the run but he may not do so now. At that point, it was kind of important because Punk was actually leaving ROH at that point. That does not seem to be the case now.

As for Punk elevating himself in such situations, well, that is good for him because he is supposed to do so. Actually if you put any other performer in such a situation as well, he will elevate himself as well. Punk is out to prove something wrong which also essentially implies that he is at a disadvantage in this feud and he has to win from this situation. Well, isn't that Cena's USP as well? The heel performs a few beatdowns on him in the weeks preceding their big match and people tend to believe that there is no chance in hell that Cena will win and when Cena ends up winning, he ends up proving the nay-sayers or the ones who had lost belief in him wrong.

As for Punk elevating his performance only in such feuds, I would disagree. Punk had a great feud with Jeff Hardy and they had a match at SummerSlam that main evented even over Cena vs Orton. And that was a very different storyline. Punk's performance in this feud is better than his performance in his feud with Hardy because even the storyline of this feud is better. Which does not mean that the story of Punk vs Hardy was bad though.
It's not just the counters, because I even said that's fairly common, it's that pretty much everything about the matches, the strategy, the way he carries himself, it's all very similar.

Punk vs Cena is different than Cena vs a monster heel because it's Punk vs a monster face essentially. Joe was also a face.

I'm not saying that Punk only elevates his game in these types of matches, just that it really brings the best out in him.

The point of this thread was to point out the similarities in the two feuds, that both are storied feuds, that this kinda means Cena is one of the best in the world, and that Punk's best foil are these types of guys.

I always like to find what type of guy (or even which specific guy) wrestlers gel with. Punk does really well with monster faces as the cult hero underdog. Cena might even be Steamboat to Punk's Flair, although I know the people who like basic chain wrestling "purists" as they call themself will scoff at comparing Cena to Steamboat. You get what I'm trying to say.

For the record, an Iron Man Match at Survivor Series, would b a timed match that could end in a draw.
I think for anyone to argue one of these guys is carrying the other is flat out dumb, to have a great storyline it takes 2 to tango.
Money in the Bank match was better, but last night's was good and the ending was unpredictable and left us asking questions.
Can't wait for RAW tonight!!

Side note: Love how Mark Henry and Christian are performing, acting like the heals did back in the day (DQ, cheating, running away). Everything involving these 2 is not only well-earned, but interesting and great storylines. I love how Del Rio is coming along (great controversial finish at Summer Slam), C.M. Punk making a name for himself by being something different, someone we haven't really seen (a similar storyline but different perspective and persona). And I actually like how Cena continues to improve. Better at wrestling, and although he is manufactured on was forced upon us, he is one of the best of today (whether you like him or not is irrelevant).

Since Triple H became "officially involved" in November (signing Karma and Sin Cara almost a year ago now) the WWE has gone back to caring about its product and wrestling. Sure, they are recycling some storylines, but Creative is being exactly that, throwing new twists and getting back to its elite status (being the only big wrestling company doesn't make the productivity elite, we all know it still doesn't compare to the '90s, but 2011 has been a different story and great to watch thus far (overall).

I agree with everyone that punk brings out the best in cena. Cena still cant wrestle unless hes paired with the right opponent. Cenas best matches are with people who know how to wrestle(kurt/HBK/Jericho etc).

If cena is paired with other people who cant wrestle(pretty much every week on raw) he goes back to the same 5 moves of doom. He doesnt try. Would it kill him to do 1 reversal in a match on RAW? When him and del rio eventully fight for the title on PPV, it will be the worst match ever because del rio still sucks hard and cena cant wrestle. It will be a RAW quality match on some stupid PPV like....whatever the stupid ones are called.

I agree with everyone that punk brings out the best in cena. Cena still cant wrestle unless hes paired with the right opponent. Cenas best matches are with people who know how to wrestle(kurt/HBK/Jericho etc).

If cena is paired with other people who cant wrestle(pretty much every week on raw) he goes back to the same 5 moves of doom. He doesnt try. Would it kill him to do 1 reversal in a match on RAW? When him and del rio eventully fight for the title on PPV, it will be the worst match ever because del rio still sucks hard and cena cant wrestle. It will be a RAW quality match on some stupid PPV like....whatever the stupid ones are called.
Yea, that's why Harley Race, Terry Funk, Samoa Joe, RVD, and even CM Punk say he can wrestle. Jesus christ dude really?

Moves don't get you over. Stop being so fucking simple. Look at the story he tells. Cena may only paint with 5 colors, but he paints masterpieces. Some guys are the equivelant of those shitty splatter paintings where you take 30 colors and flop them up there and hope it turns out nice.

On Raw Cena simplifies everything but he still has top notch ring psychology.

Goddamnit why the fuck did this have to turn into a "CENA IS TEH SUX AND HAS TEH 5 MOVEZ OF DOMB"?

Pisss me off really. Harley Race, Terry Funk, Samoa Joe, RVD, and CM Punk say he CAN WRESTLE and you still have people saying "well he needs to be led because he can't wrestle" and their only backer is Chavo fucking Guerrero who I've drawn as much as him (zero).

FUCK

And explain how Del Rio can't wrestle? He uses textbook heel psychology in his mannerisms and body language, plus all his moves are carefully choses to make sense because he's such a bet. Explain how that means he can't wrestle? Do you understand wrestling or do you just count moves and think the guy who does the most moves is the best?

Like the guy a few posts up said, it takes TWO.

This thread is about how I noticed that both Punk/Joe and Punk/Cena were some of Punk's best matches so I came to the conclusion that this is Punk's best foil. They bring out the best in each other. I think I need to do in depth reviews of every Cena match that happens from now on so you guys will start picking up on his ring psychology and storytelling.

ive never see samoa joe vs cm punk from ROH but if thats the case thats intersting in a way he uses the same stragey for both men thats cool...but samoa joe saying the champ is here...i just cant see him ever saying that! either way punk is 1 of those guys who works good with any opponet and he can good match out of anybody (funny HBK had the same quality and imo john morrison has that ability as well)

ive never see samoa joe vs cm punk from ROH but if thats the case thats intersting in a way he uses the same stragey for both men thats cool...but samoa joe saying the champ is here...i just cant see him ever saying that! either way punk is 1 of those guys who works good with any opponet and he can good match out of anybody (funny HBK had the same quality and imo john morrison has that ability as well)
JoMo has to have someone lead him. JoMo is like a bag of tools. Pretty useless unless you have someone who knows what to do with them. Otherwise he's a flippity awkward incoherant mess.

Joe didn't say "the champ is here" the same way. I do know that he used Lupe Fiasco "The Champ Is Here" as entrance music. Sick beat, the crowd would beat it (try, pretty uncoordinated group) on the rails.

But yea, it's pretty cool. Kinda shows you that even with companies as different as ROH and WWE, the same psychology can work on both.

If one has never seen Punk and Joe from ROH find some time and watch all 3 matches. I have noticed a couple of similarities but I think from watching a shoot with Punk and Joe from 2005 that maybe Punk and Cena didn't want to wrestle the same match that they did at MITB.

If one has never seen Punk and Joe from ROH find some time and watch all 3 matches. I have noticed a couple of similarities but I think from watching a shoot with Punk and Joe from 2005 that maybe Punk and Cena didn't want to wrestle the same match that they did at MITB.
That was a pretty awesome shoot.

Of course they didn't want to have the same match though. It had a lot of the same basic structure though, Punk had a more refined strategy and they countered each others counters, which is basically the same thing as Joe/Punk II

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back