What song are you currently listening to?

Sinch - Something More

This is one of those songs where it is the only song I have by the artist but I still listen to it fairly regularly. Takes me back to my school days where I could still carry around a CD walkman and have a couple of mixed CDs in my bag for listening to at different times/classes.

Ah nostalgia, you beautiful bitch you.

[youtube]dHICMV5Mmkg[/youtube]

Hi, this is Orbital Halcyon On + On. You might remember this from such films as Mortal Kombat and Hackers. This is a really beautiful, relaxing song here that always make me think back on the happy times in my life. It takes me back to the 90's when I first heard this in the Mortal Kombat movie and when me, my brothers and our friends all went over to our other friend's house to play Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Streets Of Rage and other games on the Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo and Playstation One.

One of the best emotional tunes of all times.

Arctic Monkeys "Do I wanna know"

[YOUTUBE]BONBKHjo9bk&ytsession=n3b3n1EqvUSBJ8eiItvKTyFVE_ZJIztJuK6VuC1syZRlBv0Rji1N7KWwrL814gRaSHVSfaNbCCt67fplb-BtJKohfEqf_jMdrmIE_06NoCyxyn2JERiRzaXwKZGaxru8nNLf3NziAGUrTE5sKCwo6dt6NQqF_yHdrwn29hMKOKYM2hlkanWxDLT8DGHXKMgHBDBPMuncRamME89nkmT6WhXUd-VHG0ut-NskxcaWgSvN-mOa_wj6fMfexA0iqbQqLhxI_A67f2CsjgYX6Pf-5uNk8FqajquKYOta2oodnc9kesTWA7DRII1ZrzuRoD2U2kugN75SyxpYNoU3ekoOdIgzQ-vxNArprCaWRkAjksHHUBr4Nzij4--Ca8XR-yduPLFVtHIV0BGk35xHvrg2SLMC2S1itxsdxhR15pW0cNblhCF5pRB_e0PFa4jRwa7HRc_4_H6RgUkoAplIvF7IUnT_cIi3oT1gMkmwuhVH9BV5qA9FrXDLr6WTBQHlg0CcNk7GFZiZ16yPLpW_XSFMSUIzOsDJPd1eI9LNkwQuB3jhY9AinPTV5-oV3ZzLGIa-aiYph0mGZrJ-0JtSG614q38EnAZ8VF8-v-IUZWV6xaMeOv0H8zbus-9xd6RAoeGymvz3l2Mg1tuy5pR8xnSancf-spd1kRC1tWsP1_OZm6i8BUQgPThGfelogWhNAMJIZ38eETeiEXT5bSKtkXJcbV9pp4OKdQo0vvqvy3iM7U0Hww9EqRtLy5iADeCKfTT65f118jbRpF5skAaor3S1BQ[/YOUTUBE]​

This song is sexy as fuck! The tempo, the main riff, the melody, it's really slow and sexy. Yet I'm listening to it in just one of those nights. The lyrics are really good "I've dreamt about you nearly every night this week...There's this tune I found that somehow makes me think of you and I play it on repeat unti I fall sleep", the irony. I think about this girl with this tune, yet she probably thinks about her ex with this tune....

Great song that makes you want to get laid...

The National-Pink Rabbits

[YOUTUBE]r12pgaZLMx0[/YOUTUBE]

Not many songs are able to balance feelings of devastation in the present but excitement towards the future at the same time, but The National do exactly that in Pink Rabbits. I know I've been there before, but to put it into words? That's another thing altogether.

One of the hardest things in life is letting go. Whether it be of a habit, a belief, or a person, we as human beings equate letting go with giving up. And that's exactly what's happening here in this song. The song itself is quite androgynous, as it's difficult to tell if this is from a male or female perspective. But finally, the person in this song has gotten to the place where they've become healthy enough to move on....and the person who hurt them most re-appears in their life.

This song asks tough questions, both of the listener and of the person who did the leaving. It's asking the listener to examine themselves for how they'ld fare being in a relationship with someone, having it end, then how'd they'ld react if that person re-appears in their life.

Then, after addressing the listener, they address the person who hurt them next. I recall a song called "Screaming Infidelities" from Dashboard Confessional that's at least 10 years old, and a line in the song questions: "Do you still think of me, the way I think of you?"

Truly, it's not a creepy thing. Relationships don't end, then that person disapears from your life, never to be thought of again. I can remember a time, the first that I had my heart broken, where nothing could keep my mind off of her: Not work, not exercise, not other women. Here, it's possibly even worse. The singer hasn't quite moved on yet, so there's excitement when the significant other who left them re-appears.

There's also a rushing back of feelings, particularly devastation. This person I was close to getting over and moving past is back, and I don't know how I could handle losing them again. Fear, and those feelings of apprehension and despondency are once again very much real.

A painstakingly difficult end to a relationship. The indication that finally, the person is about to turn the corner, even though the person they adore still crosses their mind. And finally, that person reappears. Regardless of intention, it's easy to feel snake-bitten with regards to that person here.

sssShawnnnn - Swag Music (Full Version)

[youtube]LltIscddNf8[/youtube]

This song really feels like two songs - a piece of instrumental metal followed by Dubstep. That combination of genres is something I can't really argue with. For me, this is best in the transitional part, when it's incorporating the "wubbles", as he calls them, into the metal core. (It's at about 3:15 in the video)

The Servant - Brains

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQtYUJOjPng[/YOUTUBE]

This was my exam pump up song back in school. You know, because it's called Brains

[YOUTUBE]xQJbo5G4QfM[/YOUTUBE]

I have always loved the "Devil Without A Cause/History of Rock" era Kid Rock material, and "Bawitdaba" is one of my favourite tracks from the Early Morning Stoned Motherfucking Pimp of the God dam Nation"

I think the way he enters the stage in the full length white cur coat with the pimp stick is absolutely brilliant, typical arrogance from the Kid, and then rocks out in his usual style. Rock is a great frontman, very charismatic and it's only his last couple of albums that show what a talented musician and vocallist he is.

This a great tune, that always pumps me up in the gym, and I miss this style of rap metal.

Jon Lajoie-Miley, You're a Good Girl

[YOUTUBE]O2zbxM4EehE[/YOUTUBE]

This topic was discussed in a thread in the Media Hub, but Lajoie's spot-on commentary regarding Miley Cyrus at the VMA's said more in 2 minutes and 36 seconds then I could in 3 paragraphs. As much as I'd like something else to be true, Lajoie is right. Sex sells more than true talent in the music industry, especially around Miley's age. Yet, for little other reason than who she used to play on television, she's held to a higher standard for some reason.

My wife was appalled when she watched the VMA's, and I asked her to simply remember what she dressed like when she was in college. Largely, she said 'no comment' and that was the end of the discussion. Lajoie's sarcasm in pointing out the hypocrisy in how we objectify women, yet so many get outraged when a woman acts like a sexual object. **** and ****e were the nicest words I heard from people when referring to Miley.

Lajoie understands this, and is smart enough to learn how to make money off of it as well. He's not a talented vocalist, but he's a smart writer who makes fun of himself as much as he does others, and plays to his strengths and weaknesses well.

This song, sarcastically attacking those who bashed Miley's VMA performance, does so with casual aplomb, signalling that he truly knows his audience.

[YOUTUBE]OFYNAZspQSM[/YOUTUBE]

John Butler Trio - Pickapart

I Have seriously and positively have fallen for this guys music. Such an amazing artist with spectacular talent. I don't even normally listen to this type of music but this guys sheer talent makes you want to listen to him. I've been on a JBT binge as of late and this is one of the songs I've been replaying over and over again. Short and simple but very influential and full of impact. Seriously, give this guy a listen.

Nirvana - Jesus Don't Want me for a Sunbeam

The thing I love about Nirvana's Unplugged album is that I can happily listen to any of them whenever they appear on my playlist. For their studio albums I have to be in the right mood to enjoy them completely at random, but that isn't the case with any of the songs from Unplugged.

I listened to About A Girl a few times last week after it came on randomly, and from there I went back through the album or watched some clips on YouTube. Maybe it was the heroin he had taken before the performance but Kurt's voice was just great for the whole show and hinted at his shyness and vulnerability that came with being so prominent in the early 90s pop culture.

Eric Clapton "Old love" (unplugged)

[YOUTUBE]2gJlVIxrmcM[/YOUTUBE]​

Amazing, amazing such an amazing song. This is probably the best MTV unplugged ever! Clapton did such an amazing work with the transcription of his electric songs into the slow tempo acoustic ones.

This one in particular is pretty pretty good.

Placebo & David Bowie - Without You I'm Nothing

This is an odd kind of duet as both Brian and David sing over each other for most of the time but as the song builds up, Bowie's vocals become more powerful and gives the song a really nice dimension.

[YOUTUBE]g3AAuQ1DtLQ[/YOUTUBE]

I am a huge fan of The Game, and loved his first 3 solo albums but was very disappointed with "The R.E.D Album", what a let down that was. However, he returned to form with "Jesus Piece" in 2012, and this is the title track from that album.

I don't like Kanye West's material most of the time, but he impressed me on this and it's good to see Common appear after he and Game settled their issues a while back, again his verse is excellent. Overall, it's just a great tune with a very good melody and is the stand out track for me so far on the album after a couple of listens.

[youtube]n9MYj_w2ck4[/youtube]

I came across this on YouTube when I was listening to some Taking Back Sunday. I had only heard one album of Brand New and this song wasn't on it so I decided to check it out. Jesse from Brand New was in TBS for a short time and he was best friends with TBS member John. John slept with Jesse's girlfriend which caused a fight between Jesse and John. Jesse left TBS and wrote this song aimed at John. John wrote a TBS song in retaliation called "There Is No I In Team".

[YOUTUBE]zqxfT4mvyx8[/YOUTUBE]

Fozzy - Sin and Bones
I totally saw Chris Jericho and the rest of the Fozzy crew tear the house down a few nights ago. This band and even Jericho bring so much energy to their performances, its actually difficult to even match them. Say what you will about Fozzy but shit man, do these guys know how to fucking rock.

Anyway, they played this song and the crowd just went into a frenzy. I love this song. One of my favorites off the Sin and Bones record. Ever since that night, I've literally not listened to anything other than Fozzy. If you ever get a chance to see them live, I highly recommend you check them out. Even if you don't like Fozzy and their music. They know how to put on a great show.

[youtube]J_wF7EUyMYU[/youtube]

Daylight: In On It

This is an indie band with a very early 90s sound. I've only checked out a few songs by them but this is my favorite. If by chance you go to YouTube to check them out more then put in Daylight Run For Cover. That's the name of the record label they're on. There's another band called Daylight on there that is more of a pop punk band.

[YOUTUBE]dR3ccmWmLhk[/YOUTUBE]

Puscifer- "Momma Said"

This is a really cool, atmospheric track from the Puscifer, the side project of Tool frontman Maynard James Keenan. I heard a sample of the chorus during the film "End Of Watch" with Jake Gyllenhal (which is definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it), and thought it sounded awesome, so used Shazam on my iPhone to find out what song it was.

It really sounds nothing like Tool at all, but I still recommend that fans of Tool check this song out as it really is good. Great video too, very cool.

[YOUTUBE]851NxKsneFk[/YOUTUBE]

I've only really recently got into Korn for some reason (which is weird because I really dig nu-metal)

Their Never Never song was ok. Not mind blowing but ok. Love & Meth is really good. Weird guitar effects which I love, the bass is nice and Jonathan Davis' lyrics are really good (his vocals are good as well) Might end up getting the album.

[YOUTUBE]l3dj0I-tozU[/YOUTUBE]

Taken from the live album at the old Wembley Stadium, this is a cover of a Neil Young classic, but given the Noel Gallagher genius touch (the man is GOD). It's faster and more upbeat than the original, with more powerful vocals- which isn't hard as Neil Young has the vocal strength of a doormouse.

As a massive Oasis fan, I much prefer this to Young's original (which is still very good), and it's one of my favourite cover versions, although I would have been interested to see how Liam singing it would sound.

[YOUTUBE]WKRQZrJJJCM[/YOUTUBE]

An underrated classic from "The Second Coming", the unfairly criticised second album from The Stone Roses. I've said it before, and I will say it again...if pretty much ANY other band had written "The Second Coming" it would have been held up as an all-time great album, it's just unfortunate that it was the follow up to "The Stone Roses", which IS regarded as one of the greatest albums ever made.

"Driving South" is a great guitar-driven song, with very Jimmy Page-esque guitaring from John Squire, who really let loose on this album, arguably too much but he gets it spot on here. The opening riff is world class, and it puzzles me why this song has been kinda forgotten about, and doesn't ever get mentioned when it comes to discussing The Stone Roses best tracks. Sure, it isn't a "She Bangs The Drums" or an "I Am The Resurrection", but it is a brilliant tune, and a personal favourite.

0 8 0 0 Treble 6 0 yeahhhhhhh!

[youtube]u5mm8ex8Vd4[/youtube]

This is kind of a personal song for me. There was a girl I was friends with. I worked with her cousin and she would hang out with us sometimes. Some stuff happened and her cousin made some allegations to her family that weren't true and half of their family suddenly hated me and the other half took my side. It caused a big fight in their family and she and I decided it was best not to be friends anymore even though we didn't really want that. We did want to cause anyone to fight. We haven't talked in a little over two years and her cousin and I had a talk and decided we couldn't work together anymore. (He was my boss.) Even though the girl and I didn't actually date we were really close to each other so it sucked.

Anyway besides all the emotional stuff this is just a killer song. Brand New changes it's sound from album to album so this song sounds nothing like the song Seventy Times Seven that I posted a few days ago.

[YOUTUBE]cd9hG1MeaHI[/YOUTUBE]

I've always been a fan of the Stereophonics. They consistently put out great singles, and have done for around 20 years now. This is off arguably their best album "Performance and Cocktails", which is an absolute classic. Great to sing along to, very catchy and I wonder what the hell Kelly Jones was on when he came up with some of these lyrics!

"If I had myself a flying giraffe, I'd have one in a box with a winnnndooowwww"

Stezza's are brilliant live. Kelly is a great frontman and his voice live is amazing. I really recommend seeing them if you like this kind of music!

Imagine Dragons: Bleeding Out

[YOUTUBE]jNFgynmVmx0[/YOUTUBE]

I was a fan of Radioactive when it first came out, but the song was used for commercials, the theme song for my beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, to the theme song of a TV show I watched with some interest this summer. I became quite sick of Imagine Dragons, and really didn't give any of their music a chance.

That was until I saw a live version of Demons, liked it, and decided to give Night Visions, the album, a chance. My wife had already downloaded it, so why not?

Imagine Dragons is really a different kind of band than one I've encountered before. Usually, it's easy for me to hear a band and find comparisons with another quite easily. I can't here, which is a testament to their uniqueness. And of all songs on this album, Bleeding Out has become my favorite. The band finds themselves lamenting the changes in society, specifically in the line:

Innocence is gone, and what was right is wrong.

We've become a society of change, and much of that is for the better. Unfortunately, with that comes the bad, the "wolves" they sing about in the second verse. There's very little innocence or purity left in our world, the band laments.

Hard to argue, is it not?

[YOUTUBE]cBojbjoMttI[/YOUTUBE]

Now ya talkin'!

One of the first punk songs to make an impact here in the UK, from the band that started the Punk revolution in the mid 1970s. "Anarchy In The UK" is regarded as an iconic piece of music, and in my opinion is the finest track from the Pistols' only studio release "Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols".

From their iconic vocalist Johnny Rotten (John Lydon) to their gutiarist Sid Vicious, the Pistols greatest influenced British music, without actually having much ability!

I have heard a Motley Crue cover of this, where the title is kept the same, but every mention of "UK" in the lyrics is changed to "USA", which is a bit strange. It's a fairly good cover though, Vince Neil's voice works well with the track.

[youtube]hRsHqvPGrKw[/youtube]

Back And To The Left by Texas Is The Reason

I came across this band by accident. They're a '90s band that came out around the same time as Sunny Day Real Estate. They along with Sunny Day Real Estate are considered band that are influential in bringing this type of "emo" music out around that time. It's different from Rites Of Spring who are considered the pioneers of "emo" and it's not whine-y like today's "emo" either.

Although this isn't my favorite song by them it's the one I've been listening to the most lately so I thought I'd share it. I do like it a lot though. It's probably my second favorite by them. My first would be a song called "Blue Boy".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back