What song are you currently listening to?

Smooth Sexual Chocolate

Grapefruits of Wrath
So I'm sure many of you are familiar with a thread very similar to this one that used to be located in the music section, but was moved to the GSD because of excessive spam. So to prevent the same situation from happening again I'm going to make a couple rules for this thread very clear.

DON'T POST JUST THE MUSIC VIDEO OR SONG.

PROVIDE A DESCRIPTION.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THE SONG? WHY DO YOU LIKE THE MUSIC? HOW DOES THE MUSIC MAKE YOU FEEL?

You don't have to answer all of these question, in fact you don't have to answer any of these questions, there simply there as ideas to point you in the right direction and to help make your music posting experience more enjoyable. As long as you provide some type of reasoning to why you chose the song that you did you'll have nothing to worry about.

I will be handing out infractions to those you choose to simply just post a music video without any form of description or explanation.

Now that we've taken care of the business end of this let move onto the music. I know that every single one of you listens to music in one way or another, so I encourage everyone to start posting more in the music forum, and this thread is a great place to get started.

So I recently was introduced to the artist Dam-Funk through one of those spiffy online radio stations. The song 10-west kept popping up on a few of my different radio stations and every time the track came on I felt as if I was cruising with some random homeys in their low rider, South Central L.A, circa 1992.

Dâm Funk - 10 West

This mans funk is as authentic as it gets, apparently he uses vintage synths and old recording equipment to harness that classic funk sound from the 70's and 80's and more recently the sound used 90's gangsta rap.

Everything is recorded out of the garage of Dam-Funk on his L.A residence, and his funky synths and beats are now my official end of summer theme music, especially when I'm just cruising round town on a Sunday afternoon. This really is the perfect music for any occasion, and I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good beat, perfectionist work on the synthesizer or anyone who enjoys getting down to some old school funk.

The Megas - The Annihilation of Monsteropolis (Acoustic)

I first learned about The Megas via Overclocked Remix, a fantastic site that provides free, high-quality music. It's all based on videogame music, but it's so well-done that anyone not familiar with the source wouldn't know the difference. Anyway, I was browsing through the Mega Man sections, because that game series always has great music and the Remixers there are top-notch, and I stumbled upon the non-acoustic version of this little beauty. I remember enjoying it, but I never remembered the title or artist. It was just some song I listened to on OCR.

Fast forward a few months. I was researching The Protomen (my favorite band) and I saw that there was some band out there called The Megas that remixed and added lyrics to Mega Man songs. Intrigued, I downloaded their EP, Megatainment and I was blown away. I immediately downloaded their debut album Get Equipped and found out that The Annihilation of Monsteropolis was on there. A few months after I got into them, they released their acoustic version of Get Equipped, Get Acoustic, and it was excellent. Monsteropolis is one of my favorite tracks off of it. It takes the previously rage-filled song and changes it to an epic, sorrowful ballad. The emotions in this track are fantastic.

The Megas have recently released their second EP, Sparked A War, as a kind of teaser for their next album. It's high quality, featuring four fantastic songs. If you like what you hear, definitely check out their other stuff.

Yep, this is just awesomeness. I'm already loving SSC as moderator. Thank you for bringing this pearl back.

[YOUTUBE]9ZRR-MerxIA[/YOUTUBE]​

So, if you've talked to me in the past 3-4 days period of time on MSN, you'd know I've been listening to this song for like the whole week whenever I had music on. I've always been somewhat of Nightwish fan, and recently I watched some World of Warcraft made movie with this one rolling in the credits. I simply had to find it, because I was drawn into it immediately.

The lyrics isn't really that big of a thing for me, the chorus is really where it all lies for me. Mainly because of the awesome play of instruments, sound-effects and the awesome voice of Tarja. The song is well done, and it pretty much has a large mix of guitar solo (Which is fucking awesome as well), song and length.

Overall the song is awesome, but like I said, the chorus is really my preferable thing, so much that I've actually caught myself restarting the song from the point where the chorus goes double near the end.

I wondered happen to my favorite music thread. Thanks for bringing it back SSC but on to the topic.

Pastor Troy - PT Cruiser

[youtube]G99NKcgdxEc[/youtube]​

I started to like this song and Pastor Troy when my dad used to play when we go fishing on the weekends. Pastor Troy has become one of my favorite hip-hop artists today. I guess this is due to the fact that most of his stuff is underground in Atlanta. I like to play this particular song when I'm driving most of the time. It seems like the perfect song that you can listen to while your car is in cruise control on the highway.

I am very into Metal/Hard Rock now, and this summer my friend (who is a huge Pantera fan) Showed me Pantera, which I heard of but never really liked it. Until recently, ME and my friend decided to find a metal song that you could rap to, and we came up with this...5 minute alone would be an amazing Metal tune to rap to.

I enjoy this song among Walk, Cemetary Gates, Cowboys from Hell, and Domination

Im not crazy about the vocals in this song, The guitar in this song drives me nuts, and gives me an adrenaline rush when i work out. I LOVE IT.

It Hurts me too- Eric Clapton

[YOUTUBE]f1eLguycGpg[/YOUTUBE]​

I got Clapton's From the Cradle album from a friend yesterday. I need to go over songs for bass practise, but I'm stuck on this song. Clapton sings like a black man here. Has a lotta raw emotion and the little slide guitar bits are just too brilliant. The original is by Elmore James but I do like Clapton's version better. The song makes me wanna wail and sing and slide the f*ck down my guitar!!

P.S Thank you for this thread. One of the best I've seen. The taste here is just so wickedly varied!

[YOUTUBE]F4er9gIn9hM[/YOUTUBE]​

Xfear was right: this new Linkin Park is, dare I say it, bad ass. Far past the days of Hybrid Theory and Meteora, this is a much more hip-hop inspired album with much less of the riff-and-bass driven crunch. On my first play through the album, this was one of the tracks that stuck out to me and commanded my attention. I'm quite impressed with the staying power of this band, as they have successfully freed themselves from the shackles of the cursed "NuMetal" label through an honest evolution of their style. It's different, really different, but this song and its album are a welcome addition to my collection.

[YOUTUBE]OBwS66EBUcY[/YOUTUBE]

Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out For a Hero

I have always liked this song but I've been listening to this a LOT lately. My wife and I were re-watching the three older Shrek movies, and when it got to the part where the cover of "Holding Out For a Hero" is sung.... It got stuck in my head for the next two days and would not go away lol.... So I looked it up on youtube while studying monday, and it helped me get through it a lot quicker. I prefer the original version to the remake in Shrek 2, but the remake helped revive my interest in the original.

I like songs that make me feel good, or help me find the motivation and determination to better myself. It inspires me to be the "hero" that she sings about, the beat is great as well. I chose to share about it in this thread because it's been good background music for studying, working out, when trying to get through a boring part of a video game, and numerous other situations.... While being the song I currently AM listening to, which answers the question in the thread's title. Also anyone remember how random it was for this song to be used for the tractor race in Footloose way back in the day?

A great thread by the newest mod. I like this topic.

[YOUTUBE]q1Et1siZhTk&ob[/YOUTUBE]

Lupe Fiasco-Dumb it Down

I felt like listening to something that wasn't all about drugs and sex. In fact, this song is quiet intelligent. It also sends a decent message in an incredibly shallow rap industry now a days. Also, Lupe Fiasco just makes me happy when I listen to him. The man is amazing at what he does and is so unique. I find it interesting that he kind of condemns those rappers who are so one dimensional and that he calls out so many people who listen to those songs and himself in a way. Great song.

I woke up this morning with the strong urge to listen to some Polish Ambassador, perhaps in anticipation of his new two disc CD set for release next week, or maybe it's just because I can't get enough of his funky electronic beats and breaks. Well it's both of those things, and it's also both of those reason that I decided not to listen to the Polish Ambassador this morning, and instead I'm listening to his alter ego, known as Ample Mammal.

Ample Mammal - Wildebeest Tactics for the 21st Century

This is probably one of my favorite tracks by Ample Mammal, and in my opinion is the closest in sound to The Polish Ambassador, probably why I like the track so much.

The Polish Ambassador/Ample Mammal is one of the hottest up and coming electronic artists around, even though he's been producing music for a few years he's finally starting to pick up a bit of national recognition, which is always nice to see. I'm just hoping it doesn't effect the sound that I love so much, but we will see very soon; and with two full disks worth of music I think it's going to be pretty hard to be disappointed by anything released by The Polish Ambassador.

I love a funky beat to help wake me up in the morning.

System of a Down - Aerials

[youtube]L-iepu3EtyE&ob[/youtube]​

I've been a System of a Down fan for about a year now since my cousin introduced me to this song. It's my favorite song of theirs currently. I love Serj singing in this one. I also like the how the tone changes from fast paced and exciting to a slow somber. This is something I would play when I'm playing a video game like Uncharted or Assassin Creed.

Iron Maide-Dance of Death (Death on the Road version)

[YOUTUBE]EQmmclTITNY[/YOUTUBE]​

I'm sorry that I post immediately after.lol. But I was listening to this one and, WOW. This version is epic.

The intro here, an acoustic intro draws perfectly an image of the Middle Age. Bruce Dickinson's voice get better and better with age, but in live versions he gives so much force to the songs. Listening to the crowd goes "ooooh wo oh oh oh" (or something like that lol) makes me want to be there jumbing and chanting. EPIC SONG.

Razor Red Noise - Living Like This

[YOUTUBE]M82PfTbQVXQ[/YOUTUBE]​

I've always been impressed as fuck by this guy. Ever since I found him on Youtube through listening to a cover of some Linkin park songs (Where he just happened to be doing the same thing, and I figured I'd check it out).

The guy pretty much "blew" me away rather quick. He's been doing all of this from his own room, producing his own music, as well as playing all the instruments, which I find to be impressive as ever. He does some pretty good covers of Linkin Park, as well as his own music, which he have managed to get released on Itunes as well.

Overall talented guy, who could of course use a liiittle bit of adjustment here and there, but he's still quite an act.

30 Seconds to Mars-Night of the Hunter

[YOUTUBE]0aSLS2GhyXA[/YOUTUBE]​

I hated at first 30STM. I hated it, I thought "well another band for emos that no one will ever remember..." However, with their new album I was completely proved wrong. First I saw the MTV World Stage with those guys. They are fucking amazing live. Then I read Ferb's review of "This Is War" and thougth "I should download some of those recommended songs". "Nigh of the Hunter" blown my mind right away. They aren't anymore this emo band, they now are a progressive rock band and I'm freaking loving it!

First of all... I CAN'T BELIEVE MY ORIGINAL THREAD WAS DELETED!!! lol nah just kidding dude, there was too much spam in there...but thanks for bringing the idea back, I find it really interesting to find out what everyone else is listening to.. so thanks again.

[YOUTUBE]wEnwU5UGVYs[/YOUTUBE]

This is my favourite Nirvana track, closely followed by Lithium. I believe the Nevermind album to be head and shoulders above anything else that the band produced, the growth in the band from Beach to this album is huge.

Come As You Are is a wonderful track, I love the watery sounding guitar right at the start of the song, the chorus is great and Kurt's vocals are much improved from the early Nirvana stuff...and its interesting to hear him say "I swear that I don't have a gun...no I don't have a gun!"....very sad when you think about how it all ended up for him :(

Smells Like Teen Spirit is obviously the one song on Nevermind that is thought of when the album is mentioned, but for me, Come As You Are is the pinnicle of Nirvana, and when I play the album, as I did in the car on the way to work this morning, it is always the track I look forward to most.

I first found Nirvana thanks to my Dad, he is not a big rock fan really, more into the classic soul stuff like Marvin Gaye but he wanted to get hold of "Smells Like Teen Spirit", but couldn't remember the song title, so picked up the 1st Nirvana album he found, which was Bleach. Obviously the track wasnt on there, and he didn't like the album so gave it to me...and I didnt like it that much either, just average.

Eventually he found out the name of SLTS, and bought a copy of Nevermind, which I listened to and loved. Come As You Are and Lithium immediately jumped out as the stand out tracks, but there are alot of other fantastic songs on the album.

If you prefer Nirvana's more polished sounding songs, rather than the rawer sound of In Utero or Bleach, and havent listened to Nevermind....buy it...NOW

Port Blue - Seagulls

[youtube]IbgJ8sGYvLs[/youtube]​

Well thanks to Doc (you prick :)), Port Blue has become one of my favorite bands to listen to. This particular song has been stuck in my head for quite a some time. I usually play this when I go fishing and as it seems like the perfect song to go with the sounds of the water splashing and wind blowing. My favorite part is when the violins come in around 2:40.

I'm listening to Nemesis by Arch Enemy. I love this band, and this song is just hardcore. The lead singer, Angela Gossow, has such a beautiful voice. She's truly one of the best singers of her genre.

Take a listen if you want.
[YOUTUBE]n9AcG0glVu4[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty Lights - High School Art Class

Pretty Lights are quickly becoming one of my favorite electronic artists on the scene. I just picked up my second in a line of three new EP's that have been set for release over 2010.

The song High School Art Class opens up this high energy Ep with an absolute epic sound. There ever evolving sound just continues to get better, and yet the music remains free. As I know I have mentioned before, Pretty Lights offers up all of there music completely free on their website. No catches, no memberships, simply some of the best free music you'll ever hear nd it's just waiting for you to stop by and download it.

I took the new six song EP on a bike ride yesterday and it was an absolutely fantastic experience, the high energy music made for a great pace and I couldn't take my mind off the music, the ever changing beats, and sounds keeps you on the edge of your seat and always wanting more.

I recommend everyone gives pretty lights a listen, these guys make music for the love of the game, and it's rare in this day and age to find people so selfless that it's not about the money and all about the music.

Arksun - Arisen (Original Mix)

[YOUTUBE]kIA2fFiy9ac[/YOUTUBE]​

Yeah, today I went the SSC way, electronic music. This song was the first electronic song I ever listened to. Thanks to a friend who introduced it to me, because he told me to go listen to it on Youtube. I've never truly been a fan of all the Hardstyle music, or for that sake a lot of the stuff SSC posts (No offense mate <3).

However, this one stood out to me. It had a nice flow, a nice beat and it was so incredibly soothing to listen to. Ever since it's pretty much been one of my late night weekend songs to listen to.

Overall this guy has managed to mix some pretty epic stuff together. And Arksun is definitely worth checking out if you're into this style of music.

[YOUTUBE]CRvDF5NbmDM[/YOUTUBE]

I have loved this song ever since I saw Soil perform it during their set supporting Shinedown at The Academy in Manchester last November...it was fkin awesome live!

I discovered Soil the same way that everyone did, through "Halo", off the Scars album, but didnt really know many more of their songs until I borrowed a bunch of CDs off a mate a couple of years ago, and listened to the whole "Scars" album and thought it was pretty decent.

The original singer is now in Drowning Pool, but I do like the new guys voice, its more tuneful but not as powerful as Soil's first singer, but I think it fits this song perfectly!

[YOUTUBE]YDWxf5qkAIs[/YOUTUBE]

Wanting to actually know what Tommy Lee did for a living (aside from shag Pamela Anderson) I decided to check out Motley Crue, being told that they were glam rock/punk, and liking the odd bit of glam and punk I decided to check them out. By god I know like Motley Crue and this song and am buying the album.

This song popped up on my playlist hence
I'm currently listening to it. I prefer this
era of the band before Dave started
pretending he was a goth/vampire.

To Alex-A above: Mötley Crüe is not now
nor have they ever been "punk". They're
LA glam "metal" trash through and through.

I heard a Fozzy song and I was pretty surprised at how much I liked Chris's voice, and how awesome the music is. So I searched for some other songs and I fell in love with this. Gets me pumped up every time I hear it and it make me wanna head bang lol

[YOUTUBE]_Uw2hK9XHSg[/YOUTUBE]​

I'm discovering the old Alice in Chains now. I have listened to their songs on and off for the past year and got their new album too. But it's the Layne Staley years everybody talks about. Going through their catalogue and unplugged versions.

One thing I gotta say, this song carries a lotta power, and makes me wanna scream with it as well. So powerful!

I was going through some CD's I've bought this year, and I came across Skream's experimental electronic/dubstep album Outside the Box, and decided I would give it another go.

The track Last Epic song is probably one of best electronic tracks I've heard this year, you can hear the Dubstep influences; but it's so much more than that. The tack has great replay value too, I've probably played it a good 30 plus times now and it still catches my attention every time it pops up on itunes. I really hope to hear more tracks like this from Skream in the future.

Skream - Last Epic Song​

The album is a transition from Dubstep to more of an Experimental Electronic sound, and I must say that I'm quite impressed with the results. Now I can see where somebody who is ONLY a fan of Dubstep would be upset to have one of the top produces in the Dubstep community leave for greener pastures, but not me, as I am always looking for those greener pastures myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back