What song are you currently listening to?

[YOUTUBE]_U5HpeA_WSo[/YOUTUBE]

Some of you may recognise this song from the opening credits of "Charmed", where a cover version is used. I used to diagree with my ex-girlfriend over which version was better. She liked the cover, I love the original.

I would say this is my favourite Smiths song, it is different to anything else of theirs I have heard, and Morrisey's vocal style works perfectly with the guitars to create a quite magnificent song.

While other Smiths songs such as "Panic" and "This Charming Man" get most of the casual music fans attention, this is another classic that deserves attention. I have never really "got" The Smiths. In my opinion, other Manchester bands from the same era such as New Order and The Stone Roses are far better, but I was listening to "The Very Best Of The Smiths" in my car this morning, and literally every track is good. Definitely worth a purchase.

This was one of those songs that, as soon as I heard the first 30 seconds I just had to keep on listening. I've never heard of this band before or any other songs they've done, but I fucking love the vibe I get from this song; fuzzy bass + cool solo, decent guitar riff, solid sounding drums and a very Queens of the Stone-Age feel overall.

I have a week off coming up soon and I'm thinking about compiling a few driving cds to blast on, with this one bullying its way rightfully to the top of the pile.

[YOUTUBE]Hx3uZtQRs_U[/YOUTUBE]

A rare New Order single, that only features on the soundtrack of the film "24 Hour Party People" which focuses on the rise and fall of Factory Records, owned by Tony Wilson (played by Steve Coogan brilliantly in the movie), and his subsequent launch of the world famous Hacienda nightclub in Manchester, which was jointly owned by New Order themselves.

A great film, giving us a glimpse of the Madchester era of UK music, and while this song was only made in 2002 to support the film, it is yet another New Order classic. Those boys really know how to make a fucking good tune. It appears during the credits of the film, and I loved it right away. Luckily it was added to New Order's "Singles" CD so the film OST is now not the only place you can get hold of this beast of a tune.

Last weekend I treated myself to an early birthday present and finally bought a Blu-Ray player. I had been in HMV earlier in the day and an urge sprung up that told me I should just go for it and embrace the HD. So I did.

Getting the player was easy, the shop I went to had them in stock and so I trotted back to HMV only to suffer from a kind of DVD aisle stage fright. What to buy? There were some films I like a lot but had seen recently and/or likely wouldn't be noticeably different on their upgraded format. Eventually I went for Hero and Drive.

Being Dowds, the first thing I watched on the new player was... a download of Dexter season 6. I know, I know. In my mind I reasoned to myself that as I only had 2 BR's, I shouldn't rush into watching them, patience is a virtue yadda yadda etc.

Last Thursday I was all excited at having a 5 hour shift the next day before beginning my holidays, of which my birthday is a part. "This is it, treat yourself!" my mind says and my body responded. Before I knew it, the drawer of the player was open and in went Drive. The lights went off, a warm tingling sensation spread as Gosling appeared even clearer than before!, and the music hit.

Once upon a time I would not have been a fan of the synthy pop sound that punctuates the film, but I am older and a little wiser now, and Under Your Spell by Desire has been constantly in my head ever since. Such a great song in its own right as well as being used supoibly within the film makes it my song of the moment.

[YOUTUBE]MZ8g6ONqKBI[/YOUTUBE]

Mobile-The Killer

The volume level is kind of low so turn your speakers up to fully appreciate this song.

Anyway,not only is the video awesome but for an awesome video its only fitting that an awesome song would be playing in the background. I can't explain my love for this song,it is just fun to blast and listen to. Great song that I suggest you download if you're a fan of rock music.

A fucking unreal song, and definitely an underrated classic from one of the best bands of all time, and definitely one of the greatest albums ever made- "Urban Hymns".

This is a crazy song when the finale kicks in at about 3 minutes, it makes you feel like you can take on the world, and the fact that Liam Gallagher from Oasis is on backing vocals screaming "FUCK YOU...THIS IS A BIG FUCK YOU...COMMEEE ONNNNNNNNNNN!" just makes it immense.

Love love love this tune.

I am completely loving Kevin Rudolf right now. I know his album came out like 3 years ago, but I literally just love everything on it. The man's got the X-Factor, I tell ya.

[Youtube]QOqSOz4xztI&feature=related[/Youtube]
[Youtube]wmQumirKql0[/Youtube]
[Youtube]KG1A6ciTOd4[/Youtube]

[Youtube]VQH8ZTgna3Q&ob=av3e[/Youtube]

I have been obsessed with the Monkeys as of late. Over the past couple weeks this song has been the most played on my ipod, I can't get enough of it. The Monkeys have really matured as a band. From Whatever People Say I Am.... to Suck It And See, they have produced a great variety music.

[YOUTUBE]l2nPHbogLE0[/YOUTUBE]

I am heading to a classic indie club night this evening, being put on my a friend of mine. There is set be a shit load of classic tunes being dropped from all the great indie bands of the last 20+ years, like Oasis, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, The Smiths and Inspiral Carpets.

I love alot of the Carpets material, and they are still brilliant live. This is one of their more well known songs, and I will definitely be getting a request for this in later tonight after several beers :)

Klaatu - Sub Rosa Subway

[YOUTUBE]tiRUOzJ-FrE[/YOUTUBE]

A co-worker was telling me that when this band came out, people legit thought that The Beatles had re-formed. The singer could pass for Paul and they include brass, prominent bass, nice harmonies, piano, hand claps, harpsichord trademark Paul vocal percussion and it kinda sounds like what The Beatles would have been doing in the 1980's. The rumor was spurred on because none of The Beatles would comment, Klaatu at first did not tour and the songs on the album were just credited to Klaatu and people were just generally enthused to hope that this was true.

I'm really getting into 50s music and this is one of my biggest favourites, it just happens to be playing right now too ;)

[YOUTUBE]65FOQpQpSwc[/YOUTUBE]

Stupid fuckin' Wrestlemania! It has me on a Metallica high, I keep listening to this and imagining either the advert for End of an Era or Triple H and The Undertaker staring above as the cell lowers from the gantry. Turn the Page is another one that is getting played a lot.

I don't think I finished my list. I suppose its time!

#2 Remember Everything: Five Finger Death Punch

[YOUTUBE]7G8QItjTSDA[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not really a fan of FFDP, but this song quickly became on my favorites from the moment my friend Cami posted this on my Facebook page. I thought she wrote something for me(why, I dont know), so I made mention of, to which she replied, "Its a song, dumbass!" Fair enough, I suppose. :blush:

This song doesn't lose the edge of most FFDP tracks, although it is the softest of any of the tracks from the band that Ive heard. It seems lead singer Ivan Moore had a difficult childhood, as evidenced by his "Dear Father" and "Dear Mother" lines to begin, noting how he constantly failed them, and later telling them quite emphatically that he can't forgive them. Touching, right?

For me, it says alot for the band that they went here, and did so without Ivan Moore's voice ascending to his trademark screaming that's ruined every previous track from the band that Ive heard. This one was raw, yet visceral at the same time. The emotion is there, the sound is there, the lyrics are strong, and the vocals are phenomenal. It took some prodding for me to even listen to a FFDP song, but Im glad I did. It's my second favorite song from 2011. ;)

Before I get to Number One, Ill list back 10-2 the songs I listed previously in case they were missed, or someone hasn't heard them before and wants to check them out.

#10: The Decembrists-This is Why We Fight
#9: The Joy Formidable- Whirring
#8: Cold- Dream On
#7: Foo Fighters-Walk
#6: Death Cab For Cutie- You Are a Tourist
#5: 30 Seconds To Mars- Night Of The Hunter(MTV UnPlugged Version)
#4: Jay-Z and Kanye West- N*ggas in Paris
#3: Lykke Li- Love Out of Lust
#2: FiveFIngerDeathPunch-Remember Everything

There were alot of songs from some bands Im pretty fond of, such as Pass Slowly by Seether, When You're Young by 3 Doors Down, Someone like You by ADELE, Calgary by Bon Iver, The Best is Yet to Come by RED, and The Honest Truth by Typhoon.

But there were only ten spots to be had, I can't imagine to committing to run down more then that! Anyway, on to #1!

#1. The Joy Formidable- I Don't Want to Seen You Like This

Off what I consider to be the best album of 2011 comes two of the top ten songs of the year, including the #1 song. Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters fame tweeted that Whirring, my number #9 song, was the best song of the year, and while it's great, I think this one blows it, and the rest of the songs on the list, away. A viral, frantic start to the song with some energetic hooks lead into a simple yet effective chorus, one in which Ritzy Bryan's voice softens to almost a sensual sound over the whirring of large guitars.

[YOUTUBE]39afZwY6xI8[/YOUTUBE]

For a three piece band, the instruments on display are remarkable, and sound like a much larger ensemble. I love the message put out here as well, simply over how its a courageous act to leave the past behind.

Listen to one Johnny Cash song, you end up listening to multiple. Heard "A Boy Named Sue" earlier on and have been playing the odd Cash song here and there today. This is what I'm currently listening to.

Listening to 'Face the Pain' by Stemm, most recognized as the song on UFC PPV's.

Pretty good song to get up pumped up, might try and get a few more songs from Stemm and see if they're any good.

[YOUTUBE]yeVJguP_T40&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

An unreleased track from the Vulgar Display Of Power sessions. Its quite good you can tell it was recorded for Vulgar by the Dimebag Darrell's riffs and Phil Anselmo's vocal style. Quite a good track and I'm quite curious as to why it was left off the album.

While cruising the Blu-ray aisle in HMV today, a song came on that I had not listened to in a while. My Vitriol were(maybe still are) a British band from the early-mid 2000s who got some airplay for their videos and toured a few festivals, without ever really making it big.

They had a couple of other good songs worth listening to (Always Your Way and Grounded) but ...Choking just has a great energy about it that I never get tired of.

New Hopsin track that just premiered yesterday and it's fucking dope. I love hearing someone rap about something different other than the standard "I got money and bitches" shit they usually do. Plus the dude has the multiple syllable style down pat, probably one of the best I've heard since Eminem.

The video is funny as fuck too, MK makes a special appearance at the end.

You sir, have fine taste. I love Hopsin, a great Hip Hop artist. One of my favourites at the moment with Lupe Fiasco and T.I. A unique thing about Hopsin which is picked up in that track is that he more or less admitted that he doesn't really like all the praise he's getting but Hopsin's so good and independant people (myself included) can't resist.

Am I A Psycho is pretty good. I quite like B.o.B & Tech N9ne but in this track none of them are as good as Hopsin. His verse kills it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back