Weak looking finishers.

I don't post on these forums too often but this is a topic that just needed some input. Everyone is saying these finishers look weak but have you even objectively looked at the details?

No, Edge is not Goldberg or Rhino but he's 6'4 and he weighs about 250 pounds. His height makes up for him not being 300 pounds. He's about as tall as Goldberg, give or take a few inches and Rhino's a short stack at just 6'0 if I'm remember my measurements right. At least, a short stack by wrestling standards.

Benjamin's Paydirt and Ziggler's Zig Zag are a bit sloppy and awkward looking yes but theoretically, they both involve the wrestler's entire weight pulling the opponent's head into the mat at a high rate of speed. My only grievance with these moves is the awkward execution of them.

Can't really defend the Playmaker. As much as I love MVP, that move is just a lost cause.

I agree that the Knockout punch doesn't make much sense, since he really could just enter the match and start swinging at people. But it does build anticipation, with people fearing that Show is going to connect when we least expect it.

I think Yoshi needs a little development on his basic kick to the head but I see nothing wrong with Kofi's move. JoMo is prone to botching on his Starship Pain which isn't all that devastating looking, but he pulls it off spotless almost every time and its a total crowd pleaser which gets him over. I've yet to really see Kofi pull off a disappointing kick. It just works with his gimmick.

The Killswitch/Unprettier? Yeah, it isn't that believable as it relates to like, a fight, but is the Tombstone? Or the Pedigree? Do you guys realize that 98% of all wrestling moves would be pretty useless in a real fight? This is sports-entertainment. At least, I think we can still call it that.

The Knee Trembler and the World's Strongest Slam? It's either a straight kneecap to the face or a 400 pound man falling on top of you from an average height of like 4 and a half feet off the ground. Neither of those sounds overly weak when you look at them objectively.

If you want to hate on a Spear, hate on Dave Batista's. I don't care if he's a steroid monkey that weighs 300 pounds, he's got the sloppiest and most awkward looking Spear I've ever seen. I'm just sayin'.

Drew Mcintyre's Double Arm DDT is horrible. I've seen him use it on Kane one time and he was pinned, how is that move going to knock out kane. It just looks stupid, it gets no pop when he does it.

John Cena's Leg drop of the turbuckle. He does it every match, and he always goes for the pin when he does, and they always kick out. Cena needs to learn new moves too.

I can't believe people are saying umaga's (RIP) Thumb to the throat thing was weak! Sure it' isn't pretty, but he's supposed to be a 350 lb samoan monster. some how i don't see him doing a tombstone, or ddt. remember Meng? .....that is if any one who still watches wrestling isn't a 12 year old little boy running around school yelling you can't see me to his teachers before getting his face thrust into the nearest toilet....

another thing is edge's spear. sure he isn't big, sure he can't put the power or weight behind it like rhyno does. rhyno also LEAPS at his opponent and does a lowerbody/gut shoulderblock, not a spear. goldberg's ''spear'' was a running, mid air takedown. the point of edges move is to surprise his opponent. i'm only 130 lbs and if i ran at any of you full speed in a short burst and speared you like edge, it would knock the wind out of you too.

THE PEOPLE'S ELBOW. yeah, it's an elbow drop. the point of it was to feint a leg drop (like hogan) then give the ''fuck it'' face and elbow drop them WITH the momentum of a swinging, raised leg. he used to snap the elbow. (similar to the difference of a regular DDT and maryse's french kiss DDT)

I'll shoot more down as more kids post lol

I'm going with Dolph Ziggler's Zig Zag. The zig zag looks pretty weak IMO, honestly who will be knocked out with that finisher, I looks really awesome the way he does it, but i alway tell my self how much damage can you do with that finisher. I really don't think there any damage at all, I think Dolph should change his finisher.

Yoshi tatsu's mule kick. This finisher just sucks, He only does a kick to the head and pins them. This kick looks very weak specially the way yoshi does it. I really don't know why thats a finisher at all, if most of the wrestlers just use it as one of there movesets. Yoshi please get a new finisher cause it sucks.

The combined DX finisher looks to fake...Not really weak but fake....How come when Shaun hits the superkick in a singles match the guy falls down and gets pinned but when he does it in a DX tag match the guy recieving the superkick manages to stagger his way over to Trips crotch for a Pedegree...AND the 619 is ridiculous....While I watch PPvs with my friends we place bets on the over/under of how many times a guy magically lands on the second rope with his head and arms hanging over. Plus Dibiasis dream street....I'm confused what part of the body does that hurt again?

im not sure if this thread is for the current finishers dey hav but anyway b4 he quit jbl finisher was clothesline from hell. wot da hel ws wwe thinkin. jst a normal clodesline but wid 2 extra wds added to da name of it and dey think itll look lyk a realistic finisher. evry wrestler in da wwe except guys lyk mysterio or evan bourne dus da clothesline.

a little off topic, but dude do you really have to type like this? god damnit this was a struggle trying to read through. im not asking for perfection, but would it really kill you to type like a normal human being? is it that big of a deal to use an extra 20 or 30 seconds to type real words? fuckin a, cotton.

i thought of threads like this when i watched smackdown last night and saw shelton benjamin's finisher. i had to watch the replay to try to understand what had just happened, even if it was just a few seconds later. real weak.

the fcking 619!
like, wtf!? first of all, i dispise that mexican midjet who calls him self a werstler. (GO BACK TO CRUISERWEIGHT DIVISION OR GO BACK TO MEXICO!)
Yeah, that wasn't racist.
While I'll agree the 619 sucks, it doesn't give you a reason to say "GO BACK TO MEXICO".
Anyways, I would say the worst looking finisher has to be pretty much any of the NXT finishers. Barret's sucks, Young's sucks, Gabriel's sucks (yeah, I said it, that 450 looked like crap.), the only one that looks half decent is Otunga's.
And someone says the Future Shock DDT sucks, but I strongly disagree. It looks really good IMO. And being forced down to the ground headfirst extremely quickly without your arms to defend you seems like a pretty kickass finisher.
The Attitude Adjustment is awful. I don't need to elaborate more because what I'll say has already been said.
Starship Pain is good looking, but it's frequently botched and doesn't look to impactful. The Chuck kick and the running knee to the face Morrison does look sicker and more impactful.
R-Truth's Lie Detector is awful. He just elbows whoever he hits it with in the face and spins. Can you picture a dude like Triple H losing to that?
The Tadpole splash is bad, but Hornswoggle doesn't really count.
Sheamus's Razors Edge move sucks, because to can hardly see the impact. The only time I ever saw it sold well was by who else but Evan Bourne.

I am really surprised thta many people did not mention John Cena's FU or attitude adjustment. His finisher is weaker than all the others. He just lifts people up ( its so easy that i can do that to a 200 pounder. i weigh 120 pounds) and just throws the opponent down on the mat. i am sure everyone can do that even if you are not trained. So I find Cena's FU finisher to be weker than any other finishers in WWE.

Didn't Shelton's finisher used to be a T-Bone suplex? He should have kept that.

Other finishers I think are bad:
Edge's spear ; he's not got the right physique to use it
Rey's 619 ; c'mon....it's a little kick to the head from a guy much smaller than his opponent
MVP's playmaker ; no explanation needed.
R-Truth's spinning forerarm ; when he first pinned Mike Knox with it, I was shocked. He should use his corkscrew scissor kick
Cena's FU ; It's just a firemans carry!

As much as you want Vince to push the young guys and make them famous from one day to another, why don't they give them a decent finisher?
How does a finisher make a main event wrestler?

Personally I don't like Shelton Benjamin's paydirt. I really don't know what it's supposed to do to hurt his opponents. I can't take him seriously with such a finisher.
Its not the move. Its the delivery. Compare Benjamins version to the one Ricky Banderas uses.

Another one I don't find amusing is R-Truth's finisher. The corkscrew or what ever it is called. It just seems weak. The first time I saw him use it against Mike Knox I thought it was just a routine move. Then I found out it was his finisher. I seriously don't find it very appealing for a finisher.
He does it to finish off mid-carders. Like Booker T and his Book End. Also when Booker was still in TNA, Truth avoided using the Scissor Kick to avoid a connection.

The questions I want answered are the following.

Is there any finisher that a wrestler has right now that you do not like?
If there is explain why you don't like it.
Nope. I'm more concerned with their abilities as wrestlers.

John Cena's Leg drop of the turbuckle. He does it every match, and he always goes for the pin when he does, and they always kick out. Cena needs to learn new moves too.

Not even a finishing move.

the fcking 619!
like, wtf!? first of all, i dispise that mexican midjet who calls him self a werstler. (GO BACK TO CRUISERWEIGHT DIVISION OR GO BACK TO MEXICO!) and his finisher is just so stupid! like, there is no way that ur gunna just sit ur head on the second rope and wait 30 seconds for him to do the taunt, AND THEN start running (another 20 seconds with those short legs) and then he hits u with absolutly NO SPEED WAT SO EVER and ur suppose to just fall backwards and let a 150 pound person fall on u. personaly ive had 175 people fall on me and it doesnt hurt so theres no real point doing the splash compared to the West Coast Pop. and wats up with the name!? 619! REALLY? REALLY?

another one is the FU....no wait, its the "Attitude Adjustment". god wat a joke! They changed it cause FU wasent kid friendly! to be honest, if ur a parent and u let ur kid watch John Cena, then u should let em see him 4 years ago when he was a badass! dumb ass PG crap!
the old FU was great, he actually slammed u into the ground, but now all he does is drop u! with no impact! just another one of his 10 move arcenal.

another one, i dont mid so much, because Christian is a half-decent wreslter. but the kill-switch is even more unrealistic then the 619. he basically just holds ur wrist with those pruny little hands of his, and then somehow flips u over while stnading, struggling to keep the grip on ur rest and then falls backwards. but there is no way u could ever hold onto someone that long with out em just pulling there arms dow and making u break the grip.

MVP's Play Maker. wth is it? wat does it do? and how would u keep it in and hold ur balence without the guy ur doing it tos help? go bac to the kick u convict!

The Knock Out Punch. okay, really? really? really? was the creative team high when they thought of this? how more basic can u get? go bac to the choke slam Tubby!

and then thers alot of the ECW crap they just started to spew out, Tatsu, Ryder, that tag team (even tho there tag moves are good, there finishers suck), Christian (i know he had it before he left and i had it above but still), William Regal, etc.

Shame on u WWE creative, stop pampering to little childeren serve the people who pay ur fkcing saleries! make it like it used to be!

I find your post as bad as your spelling. All these moves fit the wrestler in question quite well. A finisher delivers personally to the wrestler. All the other moves provide the "pain".

(GO BACK TO CRUISERWEIGHT DIVISION OR GO BACK TO MEXICO!)
You should go back to nursery school.

I love the arguments people are making for some moves looking weak. "He just picks him up and throws him down!" Uh, yeah, that's what most finishers are. Picking the opponent up in some way and throwing him down. It can be a valid argument when the move actually looks weak, but in Cena's case, it doesn't fit. His move actually looks like it would hurt you if he used it, due to how he moves when he does it.

If anyone was going to rip on Cena, I figured they'd go after the STF. His version doesn't look realistic to me. Instead of locking his arms around the guy's head properly, it looks like he's just pressing his forearms into the sides of his opponent's head. That doesn't look really painful, just annoying. He could do a proper facelock and I'm sure it would look like it could legitimately hurt you. Then again, maybe that's the issue.

I do agree that sometimes the traditional "pick up and throw" moves can look weak. Particularly in NXT right now. Otunga's spinebuster thing just made me cringe when I saw it, and not in the way I should. Young's finisher just looks odd to me. A full nelson into a Reverse STO? Why is everyone using some variation of that now? Anderson's Mic Check, Benjamin's Pay Dirt, hell, Ziggler's Zig Zag could fall into that category. Is this the new in move to copy? I guess it could work in Young's case if he really swung his opponent, but I'm not too sure. And for those complaining about Cena's finisher, Wade Barrett's move looked way worse.

I also agree with the person who said that too many heavyweights are using the bicycle kick/big boot today. That just looks bland and takes away from the wrestler's persona. Sheamus is a prime example of this. It just doesn't look that devastating. Same for his Crucifix Powerbomb. It just doesn't seem to fit him at all. I think that's a bigger problem when it comes to finishing moves. Not whether or not they look good, but whether or not they can fit with the wrestler's character.

You know really the problem today isn't the finishers and the guys who use them, but the evolution of the business makes you guys feel that all these moves are weak. Go back into the 80's and early and late 90's. Hogan had the leg drop, Bad News Brown used the ghetto blaster, guys could win with a flying knee or a shoulder breaker or a simple bodyslam, I mean hell Shawn when he started wrestling on his own used to win with a back suplex as his finisher, and now people complain that a corkscrew flip fist or ax kick, a jumping neckbreaker, a jumping flatliner, a clothesline are all weak moves.

You think cause the Rock threw his elbow pad and ran the ropes and hit an elbow that was a strong move or just cause it was showmanship? Honestly we delve too much into this because its sports entertainment now you can't just have 10,000 impact finishers in the business if that was the case these 45 guys would use the powerbomb and the piledriver and these 30 guys will use a chokeslam and spinebuster.

Really the only moves that look weak are the ones usually botched, the starship pain when Morrison hits it wrong, the trouble in paradise isn't as bad but to respond to someone earlier The S.O.S. (which is actually called the Ranhei for those who were wondering) if your opponent doesn't help you flip or your not agile when you flip it looks like nothing more than a roll and Kofi had demonstrated that more then once before he named it. The GTS or Pepsi Plunge or whatever CM Punk calls it never feels believable for me cause 8 times out of 10 they landed on their feet before he gives them a knee so there is really no impact and I felt was better with the Anaconda Vice.

So are there weaking looking moves? Yes, but I would look more at which moves look weak from being botched more than who is winning with a fist drop or punch or clothesline or flip kick because honestly the business has always been this way and always will

ok first off... Nerf4 Rey Mysterio (or Oscar Gutierrez) is an American Born citizien you f*ing tool. He was born in San Diego, so why does he need to go back to Mexico. And for one he was a cruiserweight for the longest time in WCW and when he first came to the WWE(F), but then Vince dropped the division and Rey had to move up. He is the Giant Killer as well so does it really matter what division he 'should' be in. As for the moves (in no specific order)

1- The Playmaker... what can i say the drive by was a much better finisher... 'nuff said.

2- Scorpion Death Drop (reverse ddt).... all that really happens here is the person lands flat on there back while there head is tucked into the arm of the person. Sting is my all time favorite wrestler and this worked for him as he needed to deliver it fast to the members of the NWO since the were usually all there at the same time, but its not a very effective finisher at all.

3- FU (additude adjustment)- the present day version is weak and needs to be changed, but its a staple for Cena and itll never change. The version he first used to mock Brock Lesnar was a great move with power and the slamming effect, but that version is long gone.

4- Lie Detector- just plain dumb.... would be a great signature move. Needs to use scissors kick more. 'nuff said.

5- Zig Zag.... name says it all.....

6- Kevin Nash's chokeslam- yes i know he cant really do the Jackknife anymore because of age and injuries, but his chokeslam is just weak and sloppy. There has to be something else he can do that can still have some power in it.

Honorable Mentions-
Pay Dirt (sloppy and poor execution usually), KO Punch (Only used it cause of "Money' Mayweather), The Pounce (a hyped up running shoulder block, c'mon), and one i know i will catch the most heat for, but Sweet Chin Music- now not talking bout SCM from 5 years ago but the version thats been around the last 2 years or so. as Shawn has gotten older he has lost the ability to perform this as well. he hardly connects it right anymore (all to often it hits the persons chest), and it appears he struggles to get the power behind it he once had (yes he does sometimes deliver them perfectly like before, but all to often now that doesnt happen).

Theres my list... later

A few people have said Yoshi Tatsu's kick looks weak, but to me, that would be more painful than a kick to the jaw, but Shawn Michaels has got away with doing exactly that for 15 years now

The GTS or Pepsi Plunge or whatever CM Punk calls it never feels believable for me cause 8 times out of 10 they landed on their feet before he gives them a knee so there is really no impact

I had a discussion with X about CM Punk's GTS a couple of weeks ago (The Pepsi Plunge was Punk's Pedigree off the top rope in ROH). The reason why it does not look so devastating in WWE is nothing to do with Punk himself. It is his opponents' inability to sell it properly that takes away from its impact. If it was such a deadly knee strike to the face, you would not fall over like a chopped down tree; you would crumble to the mat like you were unconscious.

I am sure i will get much heat for this....and its not the worst, just one i find lame. Although he sells it as good as anyone can sell a finish...I say the RKO. It's more sizzle than steak to me, but i do like how Randy works it.

If anyone was going to rip on Cena, I figured they'd go after the STF. His version doesn't look realistic to me. Instead of locking his arms around the guy's head properly, it looks like he's just pressing his forearms into the sides of his opponent's head. That doesn't look really painful, just annoying. He could do a proper facelock and I'm sure it would look like it could legitimately hurt you. Then again, maybe that's the issue.

^-- i hope i did the quote thing right >_<

yeah, cena's stf is horrible as well as the fu. he doesn't even lock in the sleeper part, he just wraps his monkey arms around your face and pulls. my biggest problem with the stf(u) is the leg positioning. the EFFECTIVE stf involves wrapping the legs similar to an inverted figure four. Cena only grabs one leg.

WHY HAS SOME ONE MENTIONED THE PEOPLE'S ELBOW BUT FAILS TO MENTION THE 5 knuckle jerk off by cena?! at least the rock's elbow had momentum (from the feint leg drop theatric). cena's fist drop is just...a fist drop. the only momentum cena puts in the move is when he stretches he hand out before FALLING. not jumping, skipping, sauntering, or leaping...FALLING. i know it is just a signature move, but arguably signatures are considered the same as a finisher in some cases and with some wrestlers

Honestly, I think that the Attitude Adjustment/FU is one of the worst finishers around now. The most that it would do to you, is knock the wind out of you. No chance in hell that it could keep you down for the 3 count.

I also am not a fan of the 619. I hate how it's set up. You hardly ever see anyone leaning on the middle rope unless Rey is in the match. And they almost always conveniently end up there during his matches.

For R-Truth's sake im going tell ya'll that the Lie Detector wasn't his finisher, it was one of his signature moves. His finisher was the Axe Kick( which hasn't looked good since 99 but anyway). The playmaker is f*ckin' horrible!

ok...posting one more reply....maybe just one more lol.

RKO- it's a leaping cutter. some times they don't land on his bicep, but still a SURPRISING, LEAPING facecrusher would still fucking hurt. especially how orton uses his momentum (he jumps up THEN throws his legs up to arch his downfall, adding MAJOR impact)

Paydirt- just like the rko, it's a JUMPING sto (reverse sto?) i can't remember which is the original direction lol. when he jumps up, he puts his arm around their throat, and they land throat first on fleshy human parts and bone, and his face and forehead is rammed into the mat from momentum. the surprise factor is also another great aspect of this move

playmaker- ....stretch muffler neckbreaker. cool move, bad finisher

ziggy's move- i don't get the chance to watch smackdown but from judging from svr 2010, it's a reverse neckbreaker, right? he jumps behind them, wraps his arm around their throat and drops their head onto his ribs. similar to orton's backbreaker, just with out the turn motion and with a initial jump for momentum. honestly, it would be more effective (and interesting) to see big show perform this move lol

did some one really mention the snake's DDT?! which ever idiot posted that needs to do research and learn that jack roberts CREATED the ddt. had a front head lock, tripped, and the ddt was born. during the days of the snake, that was a new, dangerous, unperfected move that HE invented. just like a lot of older guys used the superplex in the 80's and just like in the 30s-50s a popular finisher was a dropkick. moves eventually end up like suplexes and ddts and when that happens you have 2 choices: tweak the move and make it cooler (DDT-tornado ddt, rope hung ddt, jumping ddt, etc) or perfect the move and make it your personal ass kicker (dreamer ddt, raven effect, etc)

not many people on here are mentioning TNA moves. is this a WWE only thread or is it really that hard to find a shitty finisher in TNA? lets see....

if the story line continues the way it is now, abyss will be dropping the big leg soon (he's all ready done the hogan no-sell punches then point and yell YOU!)

I know he isn't in tna any more, but the Canadian destroyer would have been a great move IF a more believe guy would have done it. little petey couldn't sell the ability to flip his locker room.... unless he was in the pro midget circuit.

EY did a piledriver for a while, but that was to further the storyline that he had no respect for americans and he piledrove them BECAUSE of the danger

Woofie's finisher is a left arm clothesline, but he delivers it VERY well. just shows that skill beats size in some cases

NO ONE MENTIONED SOCKO?! even when he had the leather finger glove thing, all it was was a pressure hold to the muscle in the jaw, from under the tongue. (see meng reference in past post)

robert roode's finisher (alone) is a fisherman suplex. the end.

mainest point: if some one is going to bash the paydirt (like every one did) then the sto, which is a stationary version, should be even worse. at least the paydirt puts momentum and surprise behind it

You guys realise that Cena's STF isnt actually an STF, right? The reason he doesnt grabe the face is because it's an STS, a Stepover Toehold Sleeper. And last time a checked, it's pretty hard to choke somone out with a facelock.

As for a finisher I cant stand, Rey Mysterios Seated Senton (Rey never pins someone after the 619, he hits some other random move afterwards. this if the worst of the lot). Hell on this week's Smackdown, he somehow manages to hit it on Luke Gallows from a powerbomb. Which looked stupid and ineffective. Countering the a seated senton into a powerbomb makes sence (and can look awesome). Going the other way just doesnt.

I love Edge and Jericho, but Edge's spear looks incredibly weak and just about every "finishing move" of Jericho's looks the same. Remember the old Walls of Jericho from WCW where he'd break a guy in half? Yeah, I get why you can't do that to guys who are 6'5 and 300 lbs but the new one looks weak. So does the Codebreaker.

Oh, and everything Cena does from the moment he steps into the ring to the second he wins.

-Kofi's Trouble in Paradise (easily susceptible to being botched/looking sloppy; should use the S.O.S. as a finish instead as that's more of a move that wows people and looks like it puts the guy down for the count)

I'd disagree with you on that one, Kofi's move is the most authentic one yet. Though it doesn't look as powerful as Pedigree or attitude adjustment I think that Kofi's move, instead of building it up is more of a surprise "WOW" move because he can execute it from anywhere anytime. I think this is what makes it a good move. Kind of like the Stunner, it looked fake and wasn't the best move but it garnered attention because it came out of nowhere and once it hit you were gone.

That being said, I think the worst move is the RKO. It's a damn cutter, and okay before I used to think it was a surprise move and I liked it since it didn't require a strong buildup but now the guy waits for him to get up at times costing him the match. He could just get the guy up and do an RKO without even worrying about a counter. Now he looks horny.

Yeah, that lie detector move was so so terrible on smackdown last night.. You couldn't even tell, that Truth hit him at all. I was shocked/ disgusted.

You guys, know that when Randy Orton started in wwe, they gave him, Mvp's "play maker". Basicly, they just recycle finishers, to pass onto someone else.

also, i dont know about you guys, but what about drew's ddt thing, their head into his chest?

i lied, i'm back

i can't believe people are calling drew's ddt lame! i finally got a chance to see it on youtube (too poor to afford a channel set with mynetworktv) and it's kizarny's Tallulah belle, right? double underhook ddt with body scissors. HOW COULD THAT BE LAME?! he traps their legs with a body scissors to add impact. the leg kick is a little much, but a leaping, double arm trapped ddt with body scissors is just plain nasty

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back