• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC 126 LD - If You've Been Waiting to Get Into MMA, Watch This Card

Well, nearly all of Anderson Silva's fights have that first 90 second stretch where nothing happens, so that was no surprise.
Exactly, which says to me that when your chance to win the fight is to knock Silva out, you should be doing it in the first minute or two, when Silva hasn't gotten comfortable yet.

And Belfort was waiting because Silva is a spectacular counter striker. It's too risky to just jump at somebody like that, which is why Silva is so patient, because he knows eventually they'll come to him, and when they do, they'll end up like Vitor Belfort did.
I understand what you're saying...but then why is Belfort in the fight? If he's not going to initiate the fight, and Silva is waiting to counterpunch...why is Belfort even there?

Exactly, which says to me that when your chance to win the fight is to knock Silva out, you should be doing it in the first minute or two, when Silva hasn't gotten comfortable yet.

Well, Chris Leben tried that and look at what happened to him, lol.

I understand what you're saying...but then why is Belfort in the fight? If he's not going to initiate the fight, and Silva is waiting to counterpunch...why is Belfort even there?

I never thought Belfort deserved the shot, first of all. Secondly, I think Belfort's mind-set going in was probably that he was going to force Silva to be the aggressor, because the Vitor Belfort we saw in his last couple of fights was a counter striker himself, rather than the Vitor we saw at the beginning of his career who bum-rushed his opponents right from the get-go. That's a big reason why I was worried this would turn into a snoozefest, but thankfully... we ended up with Anderson giving us one of the most impressive knockouts we'll ever see.

HELL YES!!! I loved this show guys. Griffin looked good, Jones gets the next shot at the belt, and as much as I hate to admit it, Anderson had one hell of an impressive KO. I cannot wait for UFC 127 and for UFC 128. Jones vs. Shogun will be awesome!!!

Early thoughts:

I just don't think Jones is ready for Shogun yet, especially with him having just gone through a rigorous training camp for Ryan Bader, and now he only has six weeks to train for the biggest fight of his life, for the toughest opponent of his life.

I see this going like GSP/Hughes I did... with Jones putting up a real decent fight, but with an ending that clearly shows that he's just not ready for a title shot yet, but will be in another couple of years.

Of course, I also thought that Hamill would have given Jones all he could handle, and I thought Bader would really test Jones, making the fight go to a decision.

Early thoughts:

I just don't think Jones is ready for Shogun yet, especially with him having just gone through a rigorous training camp for Ryan Bader, and now he only has six weeks to train for the biggest fight of his life, for the toughest opponent of his life.
That's the thing which surprised me. That's such a short turnaround, to get ready for a championship fight with an experienced fighter who has had a year to rest and recover (while rehabbing, but still).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back