Ty Burna's All Hip Hop Thread

Scarface vs Bun B was one of the battles I was considering doing but for some reason many people don't know enough about Scarface and how great he really is so I went with the other battle.

That doesn't justify him continuously being overlooked when he's a top 5 rapper (IMO at least). He's a top 5 influential rapper and the greatest gangsta rapper ever. Not to mention, the likes of Kool G Rap, Biggie, 2Pac, Nas and pretty much the whole south have taken bits and pieces from his style into their own. A legend of his status deserves Nas and 2Pac level of acknowledgment! Putting him into one of these battles here would only be a step in the right direction, you know what I mean?

Is anyone here a fan of new school artist like J.Cole? Hes the first artist to be signed to Jay-Z`s record label. Hes a pretty good MC and if you haven`t heard of him, heres a link to one of his new songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztJKPySgSks

I love J. Cole. I have all 3 of his mixtapes and other songs he's released. My favourite song by him is probably Lights Please. I can't wait for his debut album, Cole World: The Sideline Story to drop later this year.

OFWGKTA. This collection of rappers is quickly becoming my favorite group of artists in the music business today. I know there is a very thin line in regards to people liking and hating these guys, but I absolutely love them. They are something new and fresh in the rap genre and each member brings something different to the table. Tyler is obviously the face of the group, Earl is the best rapper and the ODB seeing as no one has heard anything from him in awhile because of his schooling in Samoa, Hodgy is the crazy one, Frank Ocean is the ladies man, and the other different members do their jobs fairly well. They can reach some many different demographics while still remaining unique and an attraction which is something that keeps me really intrigued. The reason I bring them up is because I am currently working through the new Mellowhype album. I've heard both Bastard and Goblin by Tyler, as well as Earl by Earl and liked both but even Mellowhype is impressing me. I seriously see them as a possible reincarnation of the WTC, but maybe that's just me, and I would love to see an actual OFWGKTA album to come out at some point with all the members on it.

Odd Future is definitely a love them or hate them type of group. There's very little in between. I personally love them. I still think Goblin from Tyler, The Creator is the best album of the year thus far. Tyler, Earl, and Hodgy are all good enough to be solo artists and when you put them together with the other guys they have then they can be a huge force to be reckoned with. I love their don't give a shit attitude and I hope to see an album from the entire group sooner rather then later.

My favorite rapper Nas did a couple of songs with odd future. That's the beauty of hip hop. On surface, it would seem as if they would have nothing in common to talk about. But I guess they do. Can't wait to hear them.

Odd Future is definitely a love them or hate them type of group. There's very little in between. I personally love them. I still think Goblin from Tyler, The Creator is the best album of the year thus far. Tyler, Earl, and Hodgy are all good enough to be solo artists and when you put them together with the other guys they have then they can be a huge force to be reckoned with. I love their don't give a shit attitude and I hope to see an album from the entire group sooner rather then later.

Agreee man, Odd Future has been getting alot of buzz too which they deserve since they make there own beats and videos. Goblin was a great album i think its one of the best albums of this year. Tyler is so creative and i cant wait for Earl's return. Earl's he's definitely the best rapper of the group. I'm also a big Domo Genesis fan, he's always overlooked by the other in Odd Future. Did you get a hear of Radical by the whole group?

Thought I'd venture in here to post about one of my favorite musicians out there, Random (aka Mega Ran). Random is a former schoolteacher who lives in Arizona, but he recently quit so he could focus on his music and is just trying to get by in life focusing on his passion. He recently released a second mixtape, TeacherRapperHero 2. After a few weeks, he made it available for free, as a Name Your Price download. you can download it here: http://megaranmusic.com/album/teacherrapperhero-vol-2-two-weeks-notice-mixed-by-dj-dn

[size=-3]TRH2's First Single[/size]​

I really like Random's music, it's either really catchy or really deep, and this mixtape contains some really good work. Favorite songs on there are Limitless, Valley of Doom, Bedrock City, Driving Slow On Sunday Morning, and I Wonder Why. But really, every song is really good.

Random has released a load of albums, all as good as the last. My favorites are Forever Famicom (made with K-Murdock), Black Materia (based on Final Fantasy 7), and MegaRan 9 (which contains his most famous song, Splash Woman).

[size=-3]From Forever Famicom[/size]​

All of those albums are available at his Bandcamp site, http://random.bandcamp.com

So yeah, hope you like his stuff.

This guy Kendrick Lamar is really good and underrated.definitely worth the listen.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IV-zibug8L4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ydkDK6iEAog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sIXbl3tC2hU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ive listened through Watch The Throne today, and Im kinda disappointed.

Dont get me wrong, its a good album, just not as good as I expected.

Im a big fan of both guys so perhaps I expected too much

Anybody fuck with Danny Brown? Dude goes, I just heard about him today cause his new album dropped and now I can't stop listening to the rest of his shit. His flow is nice, he's original (rare for rappers these days), and he's a good ass lyricist. Btw the new album he dropped was free, here's a link.... (http://foolsgoldrecs.com/xxx/) I recommend it.

Also, is the weekly "battle" thing still going on?

I think hip hop should go back to the underground. I have and will never understand the Soulja Boy fandom and it seems like they put out a stupid new dance song every week. Great rappers like Bun B and Chamillionaire are overlooked sometimes in the hip hop industry, but they have great lyrics that have deep meaning behind them. Their record sales don't reflect that, but I think record sales are a horrible indicator of how great a rapper you are.

I remember during the Soulja Boy/Ice T feud, David Banner said that Ice T should help him out. I agree with this statement from the standpoint that if you are a veteran like Ice is and you don't like what S.B. is putting out, help him do better instead of criticizing him. It was still disrespectful the way he dissed Ice T though because Soulja Boy will never become a tenth of what he is.

Most of the hip hop industry's elder statesmen have fallen off or are still trying to hang on. I was never that big a fan of Jay-Z and I never saw Diddy as a rapper, just a mogul. Lil Wayne's early stuff was great and now he seems to be grasping at straws but maybe that is because he has put out so many albums and mixtapes, he is running out of material. Autotune and vocoder has also ruined the industry slowly. I will give T-Pain a pass for using it since I think he's actually decent but Kanye West and Ron Brown among others shouldn't never use it. West's last album was horrible and I've listened to "Arab Money" a hundred times and I still don't know a word of it.

Hip-hop is deteriorating and as long as you have the Soulja Boy's and the GS Boys of the world, it will continue to do so. If everybody and their mother likes the songs and they get positive feedback, they will continue to create shitty music and the real hip-hop artists would be lucky to get a song on BET 106 & Park's Top Ten.
Soulja boy sucks period

chamillionaire has to be one of the most underrated rapers his mixtapes were great and like most rapers he don't cuss all the time just to make the song sound good

I think hip hop should go back to the underground. I have and will never understand the Soulja Boy fandom and it seems like they put out a stupid new dance song every week. Great rappers like Bun B and Chamillionaire are overlooked sometimes in the hip hop industry, but they have great lyrics that have deep meaning behind them. Their record sales don't reflect that, but I think record sales are a horrible indicator of how great a rapper you are.

I remember during the Soulja Boy/Ice T feud, David Banner said that Ice T should help him out. I agree with this statement from the standpoint that if you are a veteran like Ice is and you don't like what S.B. is putting out, help him do better instead of criticizing him. It was still disrespectful the way he dissed Ice T though because Soulja Boy will never become a tenth of what he is.

Most of the hip hop industry's elder statesmen have fallen off or are still trying to hang on. I was never that big a fan of Jay-Z and I never saw Diddy as a rapper, just a mogul. Lil Wayne's early stuff was great and now he seems to be grasping at straws but maybe that is because he has put out so many albums and mixtapes, he is running out of material. Autotune and vocoder has also ruined the industry slowly. I will give T-Pain a pass for using it since I think he's actually decent but Kanye West and Ron Brown among others shouldn't never use it. West's last album was horrible and I've listened to "Arab Money" a hundred times and I still don't know a word of it.

Hip-hop is deteriorating and as long as you have the Soulja Boy's and the GS Boys of the world, it will continue to do so. If everybody and their mother likes the songs and they get positive feedback, they will continue to create shitty music and the real hip-hop artists would be lucky to get a song on BET 106 & Park's Top Ten.
Soulja boy sucks period

I just have two bones to pick that I am sure you fine people will help me settle:

1) I consider myself to be very musically diverse. Even if I don't 'get' a musical act, I can at least understand why someone else might. But what in the blue fuck does Lil Wayne provide/do/whatever makes him such a big name?!

He looks like all the proof you will need to believe that trolls/gremlins really do exist. He has some of the dumbest dumbass lyrics ever spewed out someone's mouth ("Hey, Nicki [Minaj] are you into black men? Because once you go black, you never go back!" DA FUCK YOU LITTLE ANNOYING SHIT?!) I've never been so annoyed by someone existence as I am with this little shit head.

2) How do other people feel about the commercialized use of hip hop? I am talking about how in the late 80's, it was common place to see cartoons, old people in commercials, and other 'not hip hop' entities rappin'. I always found it a little embarrassing for the most part, but nothing too offense. Well, minus the Fruity Pebbles Rap. :disappointed:

I thought I'd drop in here to get you guys' thoughts.

I've been waiting for September 27 for months now. I can't find a 100% reliable source on album release dates, but as far as I can tell we're getting new albums from Pusha-T, Phonte, 360 and, last but not least, J. Cole.

I'm here to talk about J. Cole especially. I rarely see his name pop up in this thread or anywhere on WZ. In my opinion he is pound for pound the best rapper alive today. No other artist that hasn't even dropped an album has as much going for them.

He drops Cole World: The Sideline Story on 27/9 and I'm definitely getting it.

The video for Can't Get Enough came out the other day. I urge anyone that hasn't heard Cole's music before to watch it.
[YOUTUBE]p0L4lA6bS2E&feature=topvideos_music[/YOUTUBE]

So what are you guys' thoughts on Cole?

That song just seemed to kept going and going.

Based on that song, I don't think J. Cole is someone who can match a beat very well. It just felt so forced and flat. Just to make sure it wasn't just this song, I listened to the following:

[YOUTUBE]6PN78PS_QsM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]P0gWHgKpLAE[/YOUTUBE]

Out of the three songs posted between us, I thought he sounded the best on Who Dat (well, what was left on in the clean version). Oddly enough, I thought "Can't Get Enough" and "Work Out" had catchy choruses, but the "Who Dat" chorus might be one of the shittiest I've ever heard. Oh, and his lyrics are very commercial (aka simple enough to understand), so I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes reasonable successful.

I really thought he added to the Miguel song "All I Want Is You" tho. Maybe he should cut his songs down a verse. It works fine for Nicki Nicki. :p

I hope you enjoy the album, Arlo. :)

Can I just say that Trey Songz is overrated. He doesn't have a strong voice; he doesn't have those hair raising impromptu moments in his songs; the guy isn't even sexy with his duck lips self. :disappointed:

Gonna hit a few questions posted here.

1. Lil Wayne gets discussed far too much in my thread. My thoughts have been shared multiple times when it comes to Wayne so I won't repeat myself again.

2. The commercialization of Hip hop was to be expected. Anything that becomes popular will eventually be used for commercials and to promote other products. Thing is, it's almost like a mark that hip hop has been accepted as a legitimate genre finally. Hip hop is taught and played in kid shows, granted those are extremely clean versions of hip hop, but it's teaching hip hop to the youth already. I don't see it as a negative, it just means hip hop has grown to the point that it's recognized that it can be used for commercials and what not, but the key thing is when my daughter is watching her kids shows and they're rapping on Fresh Beats Band or you got Biz Markie beatboxing on Yo Gabba Gabba, it makes me smile because it's one way to teach my daughter what hip hop is without me exposing her to my hip hop when she's still too young.

3. Not a big fan of J. Cole. Like Eboney said, his flows seem to be disjointed and it really detracts from his tracks. He also sounds like he wants to suddenly drop into a rapid fire flow but he pulls back in the Can't Get Enough track. It's important to be able to switch up the flow but you have to do it properly. I kept waiting for him to suddenly just tear it up but he falls back to the same even keel flow. Lyrically there's not a whole lot there. Fairly simplistic lyrics and the rhymes schemes are basic. Essentially his music's gonna be good for the club and the radio but as far as this old hip hop head, he wouldn't be in my regular playlist. Work Out sounded better as far as his flow goes, that time it actually fit the beat better. I just haven't seen anything special from him, but I wouldn't be that mad if his tracks came up at the club. That's saying something come from me, Mr. I-Can't-Stand-That-Club-Shit.

4. Trey Songz is overrated. Not a fan of his work. Ever since Nate Dogg passed we haven't had a legitimate hook/chorus singer to make a track hot. I don't think anyone could ever take Nate's crown. There was a point that every track that was bumpin at the time had Nate Dogg on it. Luda, Snoop, even Jermaine Dupri had a dope track with Nate on the cut. The void Nate left is huge in the hip hop realm and I'm not sure there are a lot of cats that actually understand what he meant to the game.

Finally, Flesh-N-Bone released his solo album Blaze of Glory last week. I should have a proper review in the next few days, but for now:

Such a good song, Ty. Thanks for posting it. :) If you look at the suggested videos, Krayzie Bone's Motivation is sick too. Much better than you know who.

I wish Bone Thugs would have a huge come back. Even tho they haven't changed much stylistically, they are still so great to listen to. They don't sound dated at all, but rather just 'unpopular'. Idk the words. But it could be my regional self talking again.

Ever since Nate Dogg passed we haven't had a legitimate hook/chorus singer to make a track hot. I don't think anyone could ever take Nate's crown. There was a point that every track that was bumpin at the time had Nate Dogg on it. Luda, Snoop, even Jermaine Dupri had a dope track with Nate on the cut. The void Nate left is huge in the hip hop realm and I'm not sure there are a lot of cats that actually understand what he meant to the game.

I think this is a very valid and scary point. A lot of people who complain about how shitty hip hop has become thanks to [name] tend to ignore why it really sucks. And you hit it on the head with how important a hook is to a song. A lot of people are singing their own and it just comes off as weak or like they didn't take the time come up with a good hook.

That song just seemed to kept going and going.

Based on that song, I don't think J. Cole is someone who can match a beat very well. It just felt so forced and flat. Just to make sure it wasn't just this song, I listened to the following:

[YOUTUBE]6PN78PS_QsM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]P0gWHgKpLAE[/YOUTUBE]

Out of the three songs posted between us, I thought he sounded the best on Who Dat (well, what was left on in the clean version). Oddly enough, I thought "Can't Get Enough" and "Work Out" had catchy choruses, but the "Who Dat" chorus might be one of the shittiest I've ever heard. Oh, and his lyrics are very commercial (aka simple enough to understand), so I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes reasonable successful.

I really thought he added to the Miguel song "All I Want Is You" tho. Maybe he should cut his songs down a verse. It works fine for Nicki Nicki. :p

I hope you enjoy the album, Arlo. :)

Can I just say that Trey Songz is overrated. He doesn't have a strong voice; he doesn't have those hair raising impromptu moments in his songs; the guy isn't even sexy with his duck lips self. :disappointed:

I can easily see where you're coming from.

Can't Get Enough & Work Out are off his debut album and Who Dat's a promo for it. He openly admitted that people have to expect a new sound that's a bit more commercial for it.

I actually didn't like any of those songs the first time round, but they grew on me.

If you were to check out a couple of songs from his mixtapes I'm sure you'd like them more.

Oh, & I agree with you about Trey Songz. I can't stand his solo songs. His hooks in other people's songs are OK, but they're no Nate Dogg.

Since there's been no activity in this thread for a while I think I'll breath some life back into it.

For all you rap fans out there, there's a guy out you might have heard of "Tha Joker". If you haven't you need to go get his mixtape "Why So Serious" and his latest mixtape that just dropped "Why So Serious 2". He's always got hot beats, crazy lyrics, and definitely brings his own style to the table.

Tech N9ne just dropped a new album "Welcome To Strangeland" that any of his long running fans are sure to like, and for anyone not familiar with him this would be a good album to check out and then start going backwards in his catalog of albums. He's one of the best rappers alive, and he's never been on a major label. He's completely independent and maintained success without a major deal.

Lloyd Banks just recently released a new mixtape that everyone should check out entitled "The Cold Corner 2". I listened to this earlier today and it's a banger from top to bottom. He's coming through with amazing beats, and lyrical flow that only Lloyd Banks delivers. This one is a winner.

Texas rapper Z-Ro has also released another album entitled "Meth" which follows in the line of his last 3 albums all named after illegal drugs (Heroin, Crack, Cocaine). Z-Ro continues to display the skills and style that have kept him relevant for years now, and shows how to utilize a recipe for success on this album.

If you haven't already got it, The Game put out "The Red Album" which is an attempt to return to his previous success with Documentary and Doctors Advocate. With new production and a new direction, The Game comes out more serious than ever and delivers with his trademark style and all the right updates.

Just a quick question, I was wondering if anyone is a fan of/has listened to DL Incognito? He's a Canadian rapper who I happened to stumble across and wondered if anyone knows about this guy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back