Ty Burna's All Hip Hop Thread

A little bit earlier in the year I made a post about "Goblin" from Tyler, the Creator being the album of the year but now we have some late competition for that title with the release of Yelawolf's "Radioactive." For those who don't know, Yelawolf is a 32 year old rapper from Alabama who signed to Shady Records this year. His style is hard to describe as he often combines a few different styles. He often goes with the Midwest speed rap but he can also be diverse with his delivery. One of the nice things about the album is it doesn't feature too many big names. Eminem has one verse on the album, Kid Rock and Lil Jon are featured on the hooks of his top two singles, and then Killer Mike and Mystical each have one verse on the album. None of the other names featured are known by many people. Guys like Rittz and Shawty Fatt put in impressive showings with their features.

The production on the album is great and the album has a nice balance of different song types. There really isn't a bad song on the album, some of my favorites include "The Last Song," "Get Away," "Growin Up in the Gutter," and "Throw it Up." I highly recommend any fan of hip hop listen to the album because I highly doubt you will come away disappointed.

The only good hip hop/rap is Odd Future. Earl, Tyler, Domo and the rest of the wolves go hard as fuck. Could listen to them and never get sick of it.

Honorable mention goes out to Aesop Rock, El-P, Slugg, Atmosphere, Chris Webby, etc.

OH.. and how could I forget Wax and Herbal T?

Wax is fucking AMAZING.

So I recently retired from making sigs in the DA&G section, so the music section is the only WZ section I care about anymore. I'm not a regular poster or anything, but I enjoy reading through and making the occasional post.

What I thought I'd do is come here and do a little critique on some recently released albums. Hopefully it helps up the traffic in this thread, as there are really only a few regular posters (IMO Big Sexy keeps this thing alive).
At the end of each review, I'll put a little list of the best songs if you don't want to go get the entire album.

1. J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story
It feels like ages ago that I posted in this thread about this album, but that post is on the page before this. To be honest, Cole World was very hit and miss. There are a couple of great songs like Nobody's Pefect, but the best songs were taken from his earlier mixtapes. Light's Please & In The Morning will always be amongst my favourite J.Cole Songs.
Then you had the disappointment of Dollar & A Dream III. It just didn't stand up to where it should have been, following I & II.
Overall, It's still a great album for Cole fans. If you haven't heard him before, I recommend getting his mixtapes first.
Download: Nobody's Perfect, Daddy's Little Girl, Light's Please

2. Mac Miller - Blue Slide Park
I'm pretty sure there aren't many Mac fans in this thread. You're all true hip-hop fans, and if an artist comes along with a pop sound they usually cop a lot of shit. But that's cool, each to there own.
I really like Mac Miller, and his debut album especially. I think his decision to stay independent for it's release and not have any guests benefited him greatly. It really helps you get a feel for him.
Download: Under The Weather, Party on 5th Ave, Diamonds & Gold

3. Yelawolf - Radioactive
As Big Sexy said, Radioactive definitely has a shot at album of the year.
I'd say that as a whole, Yelawolf has a southern style. He constantly reps Alabama and his mixtapes bled the south. But he has obviously changed things up for this, whether to make it more radio-friendly or to just reach more fans, I don't know. Either way, this is a fucking brilliant major-label debut.
Download: Radio, Made in the USA, Write Your Name.

Other great recent releases include Tech N9ne's Welcome to Strangeland, Mobb Deep's Black Cocaine EP, Pusha-T's Fear of God II & Take Care by Drake.

We still have some releases coming up this year from the likes of Tyga, Snoop & Wiz, The Roots, Curren$y, Crooked I & Common.

So yeah. Comment, give me a piece of your mind etc.
Have fun :)

I'm not big a huge fan of Hip Hop as I was before especially most of the new shit coming out, even the underground scene just can't get into it.

Except for one album.
Epidemic(Illin' Spree)
Probably the best Hip Hop I've heard all year.

From time to time I appear here, post a video, then head off again, this is no different. Sway has what I consider one of the best songs this year in Still Speedin'. There's been loads of remixes, including an incredible one with Kano, but the newest one is Still Speedin' Reloaded with Lupe Fiasco.

[YOUTUBE]kkrj6j3NETI[/YOUTUBE]

I'm all for the UK getting artists from the US on their tracks, it's showing how the UK scene is growing, this isn't the first time this has happened recently, the Hello Good Morning remixes (one with Skepta, the other with Tinie Tempah and Tinchy Stryder) were pretty sick too, but this is just incredible.

Just thought I'd share that for anyone who is interested.

I was lucky enough to meet Game in late 2011 and catch a gig of his. By far one of the greatest OF ALL TIME. Keeping the West Coast alive while we still wait for Detox.

Hey guys. This is gunna look like a shameless & spammy plug, BUT IT ISN'T.

Since there is little to no traffic in this thread, I'm gunna take a chance to link you guys to a new mixtape/album review blog I've started.

I'll be reviewing classics, new releases & personal favourites.

If anyone has a request, please email me at [email protected]

So please give it a look, I hope to be updating it pretty regularly.

Here's the link: http://mixtapealbumreviews.tumblr.com/

In case what I've said so far is considered spam, here's a small excerpt on my first review. I know I've been pretty vocal about the album & artist in this thread, but a lot of effort has gone into this review.

Cole merges his classic sound with some more experimental production in a few of the songs. ‘Mr. Nice Watch’ is definitely dubstep inspired. He does what his mentor ‘Hov & Kanye somewhat failed at on Watch The Throne.

He made the risky decision to include 2 songs from previous mixtapes on this LP. However, the songs, “In the Morning’ & ‘Lights Please’, are 2 absolute classics. ‘Lights Please’ was the song that won Jay-Z over & Drake is featured on ‘In the Morning. I think the decision to include them pays off.

Right now I'm just trying to get some readers. Someone re-blogged my first review & I hadn't shared it or anything. I consider that a small success, but I'm looking to build on it.

Thanks guys, please give it a quick look.

I've tried and tried, but I just don't get it. What exactly is so special about Tyler, The Creator? Every time I try to listen to one of his songs I can't last more than a minute before I click on something else. It doesn't help that it takes almost 30 seconds for any of his songs to actually start, he's always got some weird ass sounding intro.

Maybe it's just not my style. I prefer shit I can drive around and listen to or sit and relax to. I have no intention of trying to decipher lyrics through the "beats." I prefer who use the multiple syllable style and can rap with a least a little bit of speed. Not punchlines and people who say things for shock value.

I'm not going to go through the pages and pages to find if anyone's mentioned her, so here you go...Anyone listen to Snow Tha Product? She's a Mexican from Texas, and spits some crazy shit. She's also fast as hell, with rhythm. She's mostly underground, but has appeared on some tracks with big names, most notably Twista. Here's a quick taste:

[YOUTUBE]lSadL0-swTA[/YOUTUBE]​

I let you inhale like an atheist. - Kendrick Lamar
Damn. Kendrick Lamar has recently captured my full support, and it's a struggle for someone like myself who is hardly a rap fan, but I cannot deny that this guy is one of the greatest lyricists I've ever heard. Next to Pac, Nas, and more recently J. Cole, Kendrick is as good as I've heard.

What attracts me to his music is not just that he can absolutely snap and rap as quick as any other artist, but his metaphors and messages are overwhelming at times. He's completely original from the mainstream "rappers" in that he actually has something to say. He's not self-praising, he's not into flashy hooks about sex and drugs. Kendrick addresses real life issues and topics. He's a true talent and has meaning behind his music, unlike 99% of the other rappers currently recording now-a-days.

If you haven't heard some his material yet, take a listen to the following videos..

And afterwards, along with anyone has previously listened to his work, share your opinion on Kendrick.

Do I have a reasonable argument claiming he's an elite lyricist? Or am I just some hipster 17 year old who's overreacting to an artist's music?

[YOUTUBE]3_eQbg8tuns[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]lYROzujGO14[/YOUTUBE]

Hello folks, I've got a cut for you here that MUST BE HEARD!!!

Enter, Hopsin. You may or may not have heard of this rapper, but in case you haven't, prepare to have your brain turned into shit! This guy kicks so much ass on this track, spits so much truth, and does it all on a hard beat that I find myself scratching my head wondering why people waste time with so many of these lame as dudes that are jumping around right now. Listen to this.

[YOUTUBE]hRVOOwFNp5U[/YOUTUBE]

He's obviously intelligent and has got a great flow, but I found him to be way too preachy for me to truly get into it. I don't really disagree with a single thing he says, and kudos to him for saying it... but he's smart enough to realize the niche audience this goes after. He's shitting on mainstream rap and people that idolize it and that's cool, but there's a whole other side of hip-hop that's out there right now he's not talking about nor would he be able to be a part of. Just not his style. He's kinda like Tyler the Creator, whom I'm not a fan of either.

I first heard of him when he came out with "Sag My Pants" and I thought the same back then. I respect it, and am glad I heard it, but I wouldn't exactly be having it on repeat anytime soon.

Enter, Hopsin. You may or may not have heard of this rapper, but in case you haven't, prepare to have your brain turned into shit! This guy kicks so much ass on this track, spits so much truth, and does it all on a hard beat that I find myself scratching my head wondering why people waste time with so many of these lame as dudes that are jumping around right now. Listen to this.

Hopsin is a great talent. I've listened to a handful of his songs and am very impressed by each. But honestly, I don't respect him. He goes after every rapper he can, but not in the hardass, intelligent way of Eminem back in the day, but in a sleazy way where I feel like he's just trying to get a cheap spark of fame. His talent is there but he needs to utilize it in a different way.

I haven't peeped Kendrick Lamar, but this other cat out of L.A. named Co$$ is the real deal. His album Before I Awoke is banging from beginning to end.

[youtube]OYfKMIdoJL0[/youtube]

I love me some Big L. I respect that he actually did the work on the streets, which in turn gives him the right to talk about the streets. This freestyle is a immense and shows that Jay Z actually had the skill to make it to the top, rather then what we are accustomed to now with his mainstream bullshit.

RIP Big L.

Jakob22 has just recently released Part 2 of his critically acclaimed
Dreamstate series
Dreamstate 2: THe REM EFFECT Part 2 of the installment
continues through the dream mending world of Jakob22 and The Fang with
special guests J Reno The Sadist, Lord Lhus, Savage Brothers, Peepsho,
Frostbitten and Swann Ill Rock…. the 22 takeover continues
http://www.jakob22.com/?page_id=22
Direct DL http://www.jakob22.com/?file_id=2

[YOUTUBE]1NFTMzzwmr8[/YOUTUBE]

Check Out Jakob22 new Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NFTMzzwmr8
The Master Builder - Jakob22, Presents SleepWalker - A Tale Of Insomnia
Video Direct By Blind Swordsman and Death Chamberz Music
From Jakob22 new album Dreamstate 2: THe REM Effect

[YOUTUBE]hRVOOwFNp5U[/YOUTUBE]

Weird, my buddy just showed me this song yesterday. Awesome stuff, I can't believe I hadn't ever heard of this guy.

Also, this is intense...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90QCQJvuurQ&feature=relmfu

Dreams & Nightmares, & Good Kid, m.A.A.d City both leaked, Recommend both albums, good listen.

Phenomenal album. Lyrics content and story-telling outshines probably any other rap album that's been released this year. Kendrick has a bright career ahead of him and he has it all figured out and his head on straight.

I have no idea if anyone here listens to any German rap by chance, but to offer my graces in this department, I bring forth a sample...

When rap entered Germany in the 80's, it was underground and almost entirely based off American rap, but it's going through huge changes. Azad, as I have featured, is arguably the top German rapper in history, this being one of his newer songs for his tentative 10th album. For those who are aware of the show Prison Break, Azad is the performer of the German-translated theme song. I don't know if anyone is interested, but I didn't think it would hurt to share, so here you are.

So, is hip-hop really dead? I guess it wasn't just a rumor. Or maybe it's just WZF. ;) In any case, I'd love to see some discussion here. So, who is your favorite rapper out today?

Most of you guys probably haven't heard of my pick, but I've been listening to him for about 2-3 years now and he keeps developing as time passes. He was recently on the XXL 2013 Freshman list, getting the 10th spot through the people's vote. He's signed to Hopsin and Dame Ritter's Funk Volume record label, and despite all the hype that Hopsin and Jarren Benton get, Dizzy is the most talented on the label in my opinion.

I really feel like this kid has a bright future ahead of him. He is really the first rapper to make a lot of noise out of Vegas, and is putting the city on the hip-hop map. He has the whole city behind him, and has quite the fan base behind him as shown by him winning the XXL spot through his fan's votes. He has a flow that is smooth as hell, and his confidence and positive energy just radiates on every track he steps on. He can kill a song just as well as a Kanye, T.I., or other mainstream rappers, as evidenced by singles such as "Hotel Stripper" and "Can't Trust Em", and his flow when going over more club/mainstream type songs is simply killer at times. He can kill others on the mic. However this isn't the most impressive part of his game.

What impresses me the most, is he is as intellectual and progressive as any rapper in the industry, past or present, and is right up there with the more mainstream rappers such as Lupe Fiasco and Macklemore with his conscious lyrics and insightful views. I personally rank him with such greats as Tupac based upon the realness, rawness, and inspiration of his work. I may be putting him a bit high, but I feel truly inspired and he provokes the philosopher and deep-thinker in me with many of his deeper songs, with the best showcase of this on his debut EP he released last December, The First Agreement.

Over, Dizzy is on the rise and has a great fan base behind him. He has the complete package and is gaining respect and popularity with each day. He has confirmed some work with Wyclef Jean and Rakim in the near future, which is a huge step as he'll work with some true hip-hop legends, and get even more recognition from working with two established artists who share his style of hip-hop. And while he may never reach the level of a Kanye, Drake, or Weezy in the public's eyes (although only time will tell), he is destined for a bright future. I said the same thing about Macklemore when he made the 2012 Freshman List, half a year before his popularity began, so I have been known to be right about these things. I promise if you're a hip-hop fan and you give this kid a chance, you will not be disappointed. As a matter of fact, I feel you will be very satisfied. Conscious rap fans, club and dance rap fans, guys who just like gritty, raw rap: old school and new school fans both, Dizzy Wright offers something for all of you. Check him out.

[YOUTUBE]v=nz0P3gnSafo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]v=YBgQzgngKZM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]v=DQZX3Av64-c[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]v=tMVfAAynx-M[/YOUTUBE]

So, is hip-hop really dead? I guess it wasn't just a rumor. Or maybe it's just WZF. ;) In any case, I'd love to see some discussion here. So, who is your favorite rapper out today?

Most of you guys probably haven't heard of my pick, but I've been listening to him for about 2-3 years now and he keeps developing as time passes. He was recently on the XXL 2013 Freshman list, getting the 10th spot through the people's vote. He's signed to Hopsin and Dame Ritter's Funk Volume record label, and despite all the hype that Hopsin and Jarren Benton get, Dizzy is the most talented on the label in my opinion.

I really feel like this kid has a bright future ahead of him. He is really the first rapper to make a lot of noise out of Vegas, and is putting the city on the hip-hop map. He has the whole city behind him, and has quite the fan base behind him as shown by him winning the XXL spot through his fan's votes. He has a flow that is smooth as hell, and his confidence and positive energy just radiates on every track he steps on. He can kill a song just as well as a Kanye, T.I., or other mainstream rappers, as evidenced by singles such as "Hotel Stripper" and "Can't Trust Em", and his flow when going over more club/mainstream type songs is simply killer at times. He can kill others on the mic. However this isn't the most impressive part of his game.

What impresses me the most, is he is as intellectual and progressive as any rapper in the industry, past or present, and is right up there with the more mainstream rappers such as Lupe Fiasco and Macklemore with his conscious lyrics and insightful views. I personally rank him with such greats as Tupac based upon the realness, rawness, and inspiration of his work. I may be putting him a bit high, but I feel truly inspired and he provokes the philosopher and deep-thinker in me with many of his deeper songs, with the best showcase of this on his debut EP he released last December, The First Agreement.

Over, Dizzy is on the rise and has a great fan base behind him. He has the complete package and is gaining respect and popularity with each day. He has confirmed some work with Wyclef Jean and Rakim in the near future, which is a huge step as he'll work with some true hip-hop legends, and get even more recognition from working with two established artists who share his style of hip-hop. And while he may never reach the level of a Kanye, Drake, or Weezy in the public's eyes (although only time will tell), he is destined for a bright future. I said the same thing about Macklemore when he made the 2012 Freshman List, half a year before his popularity began, so I have been known to be right about these things. I promise if you're a hip-hop fan and you give this kid a chance, you will not be disappointed. As a matter of fact, I feel you will be very satisfied. Conscious rap fans, club and dance rap fans, guys who just like gritty, raw rap: old school and new school fans both, Dizzy Wright offers something for all of you. Check him out.

[YOUTUBE]v=nz0P3gnSafo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]v=YBgQzgngKZM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]v=DQZX3Av64-c[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]v=tMVfAAynx-M[/YOUTUBE]

Dizzy Wright is someone I've only recently started looking into. My I retested in him started because of the song he anchored featuring Joey Bada$$, one of my favorite current rappers. The song is called 'Maintain' and while Joey killed his verse, it was Dizzy's song and his verses were very strong.

I think hip hop is going in a good direction. There's less bubble gum rap nowadays and a lot of young talent that has a lot of energy is coming up.

Even some of the mainstream guys are really good. Macklemore, for example, as found a lot of mainstream success and may even be looked at as more of a pop artist, but what get's lost in songs like "Thrift Shop" and "Can't Hold Us", with there catchy hooks and beats, they are very good hip-hop songs, not to mention that The Heist was a very solid album. Plus with Kendrick Lamar towards the top of the game and artists like Joey Bada$$, A$AP Rocky, and Schoolboy Q emerging into the mainstream, hip-hop is looking really good.

One artist who I think doesn't get enough credit is Drake. He gets so tangled up in the Young Money bullshit, a lot of underground fans lose sight that while he does rap mostly about the drugs and club shit, he's very damn good at it. While I'm an A$AP and Kendrick fan, his verse on "Fuckin' Problems" was killer in my opinion. Not to mention his stuff at the beginning of his career was really solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back