Ty Burna's All Hip Hop Thread

To further my point, Kendrick Lamar raps with more conviction than anyone else. All of Kendrick's music has real meaning and he gets his points across with authority and audible passion. He doesn't waste his talent on whack punchlines and questionables like the majority of mainstream rappers today. The conviction I'm referring to can be clearly heard in his Control verse.

Another great example; he literally raps til he's out of breath.
[youtube]xep756J2ffg[/youtube]
Kendrick begins rapping at 0:47

Also, here is an interesting video of hip hop review group, Dead End Hip Hop, discussing their thoughts and breaking down Kendrick's control verse. They mention rappers who should or should not retaliate, what effect, if any, this verse can have on the game, and they read between the lines of some of Kendrick's controversial statements. It's 20 minutes for any of you who are interested enough and have time to kill.

[youtube]iPXyWsCIjao[/youtube]

But let me ask you: what is it about Kendrick in particular that has made you conclude that he's bad?

I'll backtrack on the "he sucks" statement... that is a bit unfair. However...

To me, Kendrick stands out among all those he mentioned because..well, he's better.

Just because Kendrick stands out among a mist of shit doesn't mean he's the next Nas or 2Pac.

I feel like, just because there's finally a guy out there who appeals to the mainstream but is also lyrical (the first guy in quite a while to do so), people have overrated the fuck out of this guy. Like I said earlier, Good Kid, M.A.A.D City was getting compared to Illmatic everywhere I looked. I mean, are you shitting me? The album was not that good. It was alright, I loved track #7, but it didn't come close to blowing me away as a whole.

The guy's not bad; he's still young and very well may evolve into a rap artist of true elite class, but for now he's simply a decent young up-and-comer... let's not put him legend status just yet. Those who overreach and call him a legend already, makes us who see him for what he is overreach and say he sucks.

I will say though, while I wasn't too high on the Control verse, it's been fun to see the rap World turned upside down the past 48 hours or so. The rap industry has become very much like the NBA where all these guys are huggy and kissy... it's about time someone ruffled up some feathers. I'm not asking for bullets to start flying, but conflict is a major part of rap's entertainment value and there hasn't been any real conflict between major rap artist in quite some time.

Listened to Aceyalone's new album " Leanin on Slick. It's not bad really, but not as good as Book of Human Language and Accepted Eclectic. Been trying to catch up on Murs albums lately. So far I'm loving his collaborations with 9th Wonder. And check out Murs for President as well. "I'm Innocent" is probably the standout for me.

One of the hottest MC's of this era doesn't impress me at all. This era of rap is awful. Kendrick's album getting compared to Illmatic made me sick to my stomach. And I went into that album with zero expectations, hoping to love it. But I only really dug one song. The guy is really, really overrated, same goes for J. Cole and Wale.

Also, I'm dismissal towards modern mainstream rap. These guys are jokes who collaborate with trash like Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber on a regular basis. Lupe Fiasco is the only rap artist from this generation who has my respect, and even he's been in the game for a good while now so to even put him in this generation may be a false statement.

That said, I keep an open mind to everything I listen to; it's not my fault these new guys continue to let me down with their garbage.

And to prove my point about battle rappers... Hitman Holla on Twitter said he's going to rap on Control and I guarantee he kills Kendrick Lamar's verse. Hitman is barely a top 10 Battle rap artist, yet watch how he comes off that track if he's not trolling us and really goes through with it.

Yawn, here's another 90s nostalgia Hip-Hop fan.

And majority of online Hip-Hop fans hate J.Cole & Wale now, they're underrated.

[YOUTUBE]nU4OIAYwo5g[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]y_A9u7pP9C4[/YOUTUBE]

Kendrick Lamar is definitely hot right now and has made his name famous for what he did. What he did is still dangerous as there are dumbass fans who may take something like this seriously.

As a New Yorker, you have to realize how much some people really care for the place they live in. NYers are die hard NYers. The rap game had to step up, especially NYers. My favorite diss so far has come from Phillys own, Cassidy. I also liked Joel Ortiz and Lupe Fiasco going in. Definitely cool to see the names hat reacted. Papoose went in and ten argued with Rosenberg on Hot 97, because Rosenberg thought Papoose crossed some line. Sensitivity killed the rap game an the reaction from Rosenberg shows what I'm talking about.

Joe Budden made a track back. However, I'm waiting for the real boys. Fabolous. Jadakiss. Anybody from my hometown of Shaolin, any Wutang members. I'm loving this.

A revival of some rappers that have fell off is never a bad thing, especially when I'm a fan of them. Good times.

I'll backtrack on the "he sucks" statement... that is a bit unfair. However...

Just because Kendrick stands out among a mist of shit doesn't mean he's the next Nas
Every time a good rapper comes out someone is going to compare him to Nas because he released the greatest hip hop album of all time, it's bound to happen.

Nas isn't one of the greatest in terms of consistency btw.(dropped one of the greatest albums of all time and then two bad ones, he's been on a roll since though for what's it worth)

The album was not that good. It was alright, I loved track #7, but it didn't come close to blowing me away as a whole.
Good Kid, M.A.A.D City is not as good as Illmatic obviously, but you can't deny it's a great album, smh at track 2 not blowing you away.

Some stuff from Childish Gambino's upcoming album Because the Internet (released December 10th). There's zero doubt in my mind that this is going to be the Album of the Year.

[YOUTUBE]rIAsBK8-czw[/YOUTUBE]

^^That shit gets me so fucking amped. I cannot wait of the full version to be released.

Here's his first single off the album.

[YOUTUBE]3NQmrWad_Po[/YOUTUBE]

And here's an amazing freestyle he did on Sway's radio show a couple of days ago.

[YOUTUBE]NfM_fb1onoI[/YOUTUBE]

[youtube]S7cQ3b0iqLo[/youtube]

Eminem's new song if you haven't heard it yet. I think it's really good. He's about the only rapper I listen to.

That being said. When people bring up rap and ask who I like I usually say Eminem and then I say Hollywood Undead but I never know if they count. Do you guys consider them rap? Are they more rap/rock? I don't know enough about rap to know if other people have the same kind of music and stuff that they do.

So the new Eminem album leaked and I'm sad to say that it is pure, God awful trash.

And this is coming from someone who enjoyed Recovery and thought Relapse wasn't given the credit it deserved for its lyrical content (although I agreed with everyone who shat on Em for those stupid voice gimmicks).

However, this is truly awful. Like, if the original Marshall Mathers LP was a film, then this would be considered THE worst sequel of all time. Worse than Staying Alive, worse than Caddyshack 2, worse than Batman and Robin, worse than ANYTHING YOU CAN FUCKING THINK OF.

I considered Eminem top 5 GOAT status before this album, but now that's erased. You can't be a top 5 GOAT and have an album this bad on your resume.

Seriously, the only good song is Rap God. Evil Twins is okay at best, and everything else just flat-out sucks. What was he thinking? It's not just the fact that he actually made this trash, but the fact he would actually listen to it afterward and really believe it was good enough to be released on an actual album. Is he that fucking ******ed when he's sober?

Listen, I'm glad the guy got his life together and everything, but does he have to piss away his legacy because of it? He should have retired after Recovery. Shit, if he retired after The Eminem Show that would have been fine. Be like Dr. Dre and just release a couple of classic albums and then tease everyone for the rest of his life for a new one only to never deliver on it. That would have been better than getting to this point and having MMLP 2 released.

I sincerely cannot believe how bad this album is. I'd rather listen to Miley Cyrus' new album 24/7 than ever sit through this again.

So the new Eminem album leaked and I'm sad to say that it is pure, God awful trash.

And this is coming from someone who enjoyed Recovery and thought Relapse wasn't given the credit it deserved for its lyrical content (although I agreed with everyone who shat on Em for those stupid voice gimmicks).

However, this is truly awful. Like, if the original Marshall Mathers LP was a film, then this would be considered THE worst sequel of all time. Worse than Staying Alive, worse than Caddyshack 2, worse than Batman and Robin, worse than ANYTHING YOU CAN FUCKING THINK OF.

I considered Eminem top 5 GOAT status before this album, but now that's erased. You can't be a top 5 GOAT and have an album this bad on your resume.

Seriously, the only good song is Rap God. Evil Twins is okay at best, and everything else just flat-out sucks. What was he thinking? It's not just the fact that he actually made this trash, but the fact he would actually listen to it afterward and really believe it was good enough to be released on an actual album. Is he that fucking ******ed when he's sober?

Listen, I'm glad the guy got his life together and everything, but does he have to piss away his legacy because of it? He should have retired after Recovery. Shit, if he retired after The Eminem Show that would have been fine. Be like Dr. Dre and just release a couple of classic albums and then tease everyone for the rest of his life for a new one only to never deliver on it. That would have been better than getting to this point and having MMLP 2 released.

I sincerely cannot believe how bad this album is. I'd rather listen to Miley Cyrus' new album 24/7 than ever sit through this again.

Okay, now how about coming up with at least one legit criticism instead of just throwing a giant tantrum? I've never seen a post this long that says absolutely nothing.

I don't think it's a masterpiece; I'm not a fan of his production style, he uses too many samples, and he doesn't do enough of his own choruses anymore. But as for the rapping? Nobody rhymes like he does. That is flat out fact, NOBODY can rhyme like he does and this album is full of that.

His legacy won't take a hit because people who have even a elementary understanding of rapping technique will see past the flaws in the album and see that the skill is still 100% there.

Okay, now how about coming up with at least one legit criticism instead of just throwing a giant tantrum? I've never seen a post this long that says absolutely nothing.

I don't think it's a masterpiece; I'm not a fan of his production style, he uses too many samples, and he doesn't do enough of his own choruses anymore. But as for the rapping? Nobody rhymes like he does. That is flat out fact, NOBODY can rhyme like he does and this album is full of that.

His legacy won't take a hit because people who have even a elementary understanding of rapping technique will see past the flaws in the album and see that the skill is still 100% there.

The album was horrendous. Just because "nobody raps likes he does" doesn't make it any good. I could go make a rap song right now and rap it like nobody else in this World does and it would be complete shit, just like this album was.

The bottom line is, from Survival and Berserk being his lead singles, naming it Marshall Mathers LP 2, and listening to this album last night, it's clear to me that Eminem made this with the mind-set of selling records, not really caring about the content of it. This album will appeal to ******ed white pieces of shit out there, both young and old (well.. middle-aged), and will be the highest selling rap album of the year, if not the past 5. Of course his die-hard fanboys are going to like anything he releases, so they won't bitch either. But you look around the internet, rap fans are BURYING this album. It's gotten good reviews with the white media who knows nothing about rap and who have been constantly sucking Kayne West's dick the past 5 years, but go to any rap forum and read the threads... people are burying Em just like I am.

You want me to do a full review of the album like a film, running down why each song sucks... I don't do that for music. I just know what I heard last night was awful from beginning to end. From Em's obnoxious voice, to the dumb ass lyrics, to the HORRIBLE beats, to the goofy samples, etc. It was a horrendous album as far as I'm concerned. You want to get upset about my opinion of it then that's your problem, not mine.

And Nate my man, if you yourself had "an elementary understanding of rapping technique," then you'd stop being a fan of ICP and grow out of that Juggalo shit already.

The album was horrendous. Just because "nobody raps likes he does" doesn't make it any good. I could go make a rap song right now and rap it like nobody else in this World does and it would be complete shit, just like this album was.

Why would you put something in quotations when you're not quoting me? I didn't say nobody raps like he does, I said nobody rhymes like he does. Those multi-syllable rhyme schemes were unfuckwithable, just like they are on every album he does.

The bottom line is, from Survival and Berserk being his lead singles, naming it Marshall Mathers LP 2, and listening to this album last night, it's clear to me that Eminem made this with the mind-set of selling records, not really caring about the content of it.

Every lead single he's released for every album he's made was designed for commercial success. My Name Is, The Real Slim Shady, Without Me, Just Lose it, We Made You, and Not Afraid were all songs that were made to be marketable. Obviously there were songs with more real content on the album than those, just like there is on this one though the quality has diminished significantly.

This album will appeal to ******ed white pieces of shit out there, both young and old (well.. middle-aged), and will be the highest selling rap album of the year, if not the past 5.

Yeah because it's the white fans that promote shitty rap music. :rolleyes:

Of course his die-hard fanboys are going to like anything he releases, so they won't bitch either. But you look around the internet, rap fans are BURYING this album.

It's probably his worst album to date, which should be expected; He's 41 years old. His time for making classic albums has come and gone, but he''ll still produce a couple of good tracks on his way out.

It's gotten good reviews with the white media who knows nothing about rap and who have been constantly sucking Kayne West's dick the past 5 years, but go to any rap forum and read the threads... people are burying Em just like I am.

You seriously keep bringing up the opinions of rap forum posters as validation. Think about how silly that sounds. Hip Hop Forums are 99% rappers who aren't making it that shit on everything even remotely mainstream or hyped in any way. Every forum is the same.

You want me to do a full review of the album like a film, running down why each song sucks... I don't do that for music.

No one's asking you to. I was just pointing out that you were throwing a bitchfit rather than offering up anything of value worth discussing.

I just know what I heard last night was awful from beginning to end. From Em's obnoxious voice, to the dumb ass lyrics, to the HORRIBLE beats, to the goofy samples, etc. It was a horrendous album as far as I'm concerned. You want to get upset about my opinion of it then that's your problem, not mine.

See, now at least there you're saying something. I can't really argue with much of that. I'm certain that part of my reason for liking this album more than a lot of people do comes from the very deeply embedding affection I have the guy's work. I've been a crazy fan of his since I was like, 10. So yeah, I'll say I'm biased,

I can get with Bezerk, mainly because I really dig what he did with the samples. There's a few songs I can't fuck with at all; Stronger Than I was, So Much Better, Legacy. Not really big on Asshole, Rhyme or Reason, or Bad Guy. But I thoroughly enjoy So Far, Rap God, The Monster, Brainless, etc.

Like I said originally, not huge on his production these days; liked him way more when he was fucking with Bass Brothers and Dre all the time. I don't like how he has other people doing his choruses; I'm pretty sure he did all but one of his own choruses on the original MMLP. I'm absolutely not trying to say this album is above criticism, I think just think your reaction was comically over the top and didn't offer anything to discuss. You're better than that.

And Nate my man, if you yourself had "an elementary understanding of rapping technique," then you'd stop being a fan of ICP and grow out of that Juggalo shit already.

:rolleyes: I stated long ago that I grew out of that shit years ago. Not that you should be expected to know everything I've ever posted, but if you're going to insult someone, at least make sure it would sting in some fashion.

Wtf?!

Somebody here is an absolute wannabee rap fan. White people ruining rap? Right. Go bump to Chief Keef and wag your hands to Drake.

First of all, Eminem and Kanye West are the two best living rappers that would murder any of your little underground rappers. You stupid, racist moron. You mad because a white man is the best rapper?

Anyways, fist pump because this 25 year old white boy is bumping the fuck out of this album. Headlights? Awesome. Bad Guy? Awesome. Him and Kendrick anally raped the track. There is absolutely nothing bad about this album. Stan's brother coming back for revenge was awesome. Genius. His apology to his mother is genius. He absolutely murdered Berzerk and all the samples. His bonus tracks are fucking dope, too. People will pretend to hate the album because they wanna either fit in or be different, but your punk ass will definitely be bumping this shit. I highly doubt you even listened to the whole album by your initial post. You had absolutely no opinion to add but "wahhh, white boy killed it!"

This album is awesome, it's morons who can't make up their minds what they want. They want edginess then they want Eminem to grow up, etc etc. This album shouted out nostalgia and gave true Eminem fans some finishes to the story, like the skit is the end of "Criminal."

This man is amazing. He is the greatest of all time and this CD is amazing. Hop off.

Wtf?!

Somebody here is an absolute wannabee rap fan. White people ruining rap? Right. Go bump to Chief Keef and wag your hands to Drake.

First of all, Eminem and Kanye West are the two best living rappers that would murder any of your little underground rappers. You stupid, racist moron. You mad because a white man is the best rapper?

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

First of all, I admitted in another thread that I was a bit too harsh on the Eminem album, which is why I never replied to Nate.

Secondly, I'm white. I never said anything about white people ruining rap. Race has nothing to do with anything, except the media. Anyone who rates Em or Kanye's latest albums 5/5 or 4.5/5 are morons and that's exactly what the WHITE media did. They have an extreme bias in this shit and it can't be denied.

Thirdly, Kanye sucks. Great producer, horrible rapper.

Lastly, I was hyping up Childish Gambino like no one else's business just a few posts ago, and that guy has a pretty big mainstream fanbase that is 95% white. Also, Eminem is one of my all time favorite rappers; I just didn't like the direction he went in this album. I overreacted to it at first like I said, but I still think it's pretty bad. My point is though, I'm not one of those music snobs who hype the underground and try to go against the grain in my opinions. I'm also not some militant black or some pansy ass white guilt carrying liberal because I mentioned how the white media has horrible and biased taste in music (they do). I simply call it like I see it and the way I saw it was that the new Eminem album stunk. That's all there is to it.

MMLP2 didn't suck but it wasn't all that great it was just average. It had some really terrible songs on but also some really great ones. As far as Kanye goes he's a good rapper but a great song writer/artist he makes great music with the exception of Yeezus he's definitely a legend in the rap game. When it comes to pure rapping though I can't even say if he's in my top 20.

I had a discussion with a couple of co-workers the other day about shit like this. I've yet to hear the new Eminem album, but general response is that it's horrible. And I've never been into Kanye, much like I was never into Jay Z. But some things in regards to aging hip hop artists like Em, you can't compare the stuff they put out today with albums from their earlier days. A good example of this and what we discussed is Ice Cube. One of the best rappers once, it's been a long time since he's put out an album that was on the same level as Death Certificate or Lethal Injection. And I'll attest that I've sampled recent albums like Laugh Now, Cry Later and Raw Footage. While there might be one or two decent tracks, out and out I didn't feel them. Changing times maybe, who knows. But one of the things to consider is guys like Cube, Jay Z, and maybe Em, they have their hands in a lot of other ventures that expand their respective brands. Sometimes the music falls to the wayside, and it's never as up to par.

Maybe Eminem doesn't have a muse right now. He rapped a lot about his mom, his wife, doing drugs, getting clean, Proof dying and the different feuds he's had.

I'm a musician and when I'm just sitting around bored and don't have a muse either good or bad I find it really hard to write lyrics for a song. Even if the music is there. I don't want to go back and repeat the same old stuff over and over.

I still haven't listened to the whole thing yet so I don't know what everything on the album is about but he seems to produce better songs when things are chaotic in his life.

Now that things have kind of settled down it might be a little harder to find fuel for the fire.

That's my opinion anyway.

Kanye is an above average rapper. He's like Pac in a sense just with more wordplay and punchlines. He focuses more on emotion, personality, delivery, and the content rather then the technicality of it. Doesn't necessarily make him a bad rapper, just makes him unique. You can't be a Hip-Hop artist and make classic albums without having some sort of rapping ability. (Even Dre made sure to have the best ghostwriters for The Chronic).

Eminem isn't the GOAT Lyricist, let alone the GOAT Multisyllabic rhymer. Nas, prime Jay-Z, Big L, Kool G, GZA, Common, Elzhi, Big Pun, OutKast, Lupe and many others are as good or better than him in that department. And for everyone who's saying Eminem's lyrical ability is still there, while that may be true, lyricism alone doesn't make an album great. If it did, Youtube rappers would be the most critically acclaimed rappers of all time.

Speaking of Eminem I was thinking of getting some of his albums. I mean I've listened to loads of his singles but never any full albums.

I was thinking of getting The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mathers LP and The Eminem Show. Heard the rest after that are a bit shit. This true??

Since I quit listening to Eminem years ago I got no comment on the new album, I just know I keep hearing Berzerk at the bar and what not, so I've heard one song. I'm not gonna criticize based on one track but I'm not a big fan of the song I heard. I'll leave it at that.

Moving along, damn it feels good seeing this thread alive once again. I haven't really sat down and explored any new artists or anything. Kendrick, Schoolboy Q, and Wiz Khalifa are probably the three newish artists that I've been digging lately. I think there was a pretty deep conversation earlier in the thread about Kendrick, I will say that his cypher performance on the BET awards was absolutely sick. Dude's on a different level compared to everyone in his "generation" if you will.

Jmt, y'all heard the Bone Thugs 20 Year Anniversary cypher they put together? Basically all five just flow for about 3 minutes each over D.O.C.'s The Formula.

Flesh had a solid start, Bizzy was his usual out of left field self, Layzie was good, and Wish tried. One thing though was Krayzie, who absolutely murdered it with his flow, but he's been doing this shit for the past few years where every track he's been nothing but fire. He's upped his lyricism quite a bit, combine that with what he's always brought I think he's gotten even better. He's matured quite a bit and I think he's focused on his craft more than he has in the past. Here's two tracks I'm bumping on the regular:

Yeah needless to say I'm a huge Bone Thugs fan, but damn, all these tracks Kray's been dropping lately has been ridiculous. I think he's at his best right now. I didn't even think he spit like this anymore. I think he's penning his Mona Lisa if you will, Chasing the Devil, and I think that's going to be his final solo project from what he's said. It'd be unfortunate if it was, especially when he's suddenly at this level I've never seen before.

Jmt, y'all heard the Bone Thugs 20 Year Anniversary cypher they put together?

Yes sir! My friend actually called me the night of the BET Awards to tell me they were paying homage to Bone Thugs 'N Harmony since he knew there wasn't a chance in hell I'd be watching. But I caught it and was very proud BET shined the spotlight on them, even if it was just for a night. I think people forget just what kind of impact they had on hip-hop.

As far as that Cypher is concerned, I thought Bizzy absolutely KILLED it. You know I love me some Krazie Bone, and I think Krazie is by far the best singles artist of the group, but when it comes to group efforts and who stands out the most on the majority of those tracks, Bizzy steals the show for me nearly every time. He's not the best song writer, but he slaughters verses just like he did on the Cypher.

Also, everyone loves to argue who's the rap GOAT, but I think a more intriguing discussion is who's the greatest rap group in the history of the genre? You have Bone Thugs 'N Harmony, Wu-Tang, Outkast, Mobb Deep, Geto Boys, ect. For my money I'd give the edge to Bone, but man, you really could make an argument for all those others as well.

The discussion on the GOAT always comes down to one's preference. Hell I feel one of the best ever on the mic was Guru, though others don't feel this way. And Jmt, you forgot to throw in Run DMC. Different era when they were at their peak, but once upon a time they were top of the heap in hip hop groups.

Also, everyone loves to argue who's the rap GOAT, but I think a more intriguing discussion is who's the greatest rap group in the history of the genre? You have Bone Thugs 'N Harmony, Wu-Tang, Outkast, Mobb Deep, Geto Boys, ect. For my money I'd give the edge to Bone, but man, you really could make an argument for all those others as well.

All of those groups are in the running but you have to throw in Run DMC, NWA, A Tribe Called Quest, and the current best active group has to be Slaughterhouse. Even Hieroglyphics and Slum Village deserve some consideration. I'd probably take Wu Tang if I had to choose the absolute best ever group. I love me some Bone Thugs but they'd probably be just outside of my top 5 (Wu Tang, Run DMC, Geto Boys, NWA, and Slum Village)

Speaking of Eminem I was thinking of getting some of his albums. I mean I've listened to loads of his singles but never any full albums.

I was thinking of getting The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mathers LP and The Eminem Show. Heard the rest after that are a bit shit. This true??

This is all subjective because The Slim Shady LP is my least favorite of his albums.

Encore, Relapse and Recovery all have some decent songs on them in my opinion. Eminem slams Encore and Relapse in at least one song on Recovery but honestly I don't think those albums are terrible.

Recovery in particular has some really personal stuff on it and kind of marked Eminem's return to rap after two albums that received quite a bit of negativity. Recovery is pretty well received from what I've read and heard.

I would honestly say check them all out if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back