• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Top 5 EVAH

Mighty NorCal

SHALL WE BEGIN?
I know this has probably been done to death, but fuck it, no matter how many times its done, itll be a battle ground. And a place for Slyfox to make hilarious posts.

List who you feel are the top 5 wrestlers EVER. This is not a personal preference list. Make an unbiased, intelligent opinion on who the top five pro wrestlers of all time were, combining all facets of pro wrestling, that being in ring work, promo ability, and drawing power. Dont be a moron and just post a list, give reasons, or I will be SWIFT with the infractions on this. Thanks guys.

1. Hulk Hogan
Not really much I can say that hasnt already been said. The BIGGEST draw of all time, both as a heel and face, drew the biggest crowd of all time, and, along with Chuck Norris, is the ordained protector of our planet. Well not really on the last one, but thats how it would go. Very underrated as a promo guy and in ring worker, were contrary to what many super cool intelligent folks would tell you, he is one of the absolute best EVER.

2. Stone Cold Steve Austin
I was embattled figuring out which of Austin, and my number three would be placed. But for what Austin's ring work lacked, was made up for by insane promo work and drawing ability. Provided week in and week out entertainment, wether it be in the ring, or just about any other damn place you could think of, wether it be in the backs of ambulances, or at someones house LOL. One half of what was probably the best rivalry of all time, with Vince, and one of the top 5 feuds of all time, with Bret Hart.

3. Bret Hitman Hart
For my money, the best in ring worker of all time. Incredible seller, excellent delivery of offense, never a botch. If Bret Hart was on the card, you were going to get at least one good match. I can honestly say, ive NEVER seen a bad Bret Hart match. EVER. He is VERY underrated on his promo work, and the only reason he is under Austin was becuase Austin was a much better draw (which im sure Sly will come along and somehow make what I just said wrong...)

4. The Undertaker
Its almost impossible for me to state just how damn good this guy is. For someone his size, to do all he does, defies logic. Amazing phsycology, great promos, Great seller, hreat giver of offense. He may not be a huge peak draw, but fans are NEVER disinterested in The UNdertaker. We are talking about a guy who has been receiving the top 2 pops of the night for over 20 years now.

5. Kurt Angle
The only reason he is so low, is becuase he isnt a good draw. On a promo and ring work scale, he is almost unparalled. Hilarious as a comedy heel, belivable as an evil heel, awesome as an intense face. One of the best in ring workers ever, becuase, as I said about Hart, I have NEVER seen a bad Kurt Angle match. Although I dont watch TNA, so it couldve very well happened lol.

If we're rating them on all aspects (in-ring skills, mic skills, drawing power, effect on the business, etc) then I have to say...

1. Shawn Michaels
2. Bret Hart
3. The Undertaker
4. Kurt Angle
5. Stone Cold Steve Austin or Hulk Hogan

Every one of them has been a major part of the wrestling community and their characters have become very memorable. The reason Stone Cold and Hogan aren't at the top is because of their in-ring skills. Nobody can argue that they're the two biggest draws in history, but is that far overshadowing everything else? I don't think so. Hogan was horrible in the ring, so I can't rightly put him above the others. I'd elaborate, but I don't really think I have to lol. We've all had these arguments on other threads before. The only other thing I'd like to note is that I wasn't watching wrestling when Angle was big in the WWE...that was my 9 year hiatus period...so I can't really comment on him, but I added him onto the list due to all that I've heard from everyone else. So if anybody that is a huge Angle fan feels he should be below Austin/Hogan, don't blame me too much haha.

1. Ric Flair. He is a better wrestler than any other on my list. He drew many in any arena around the world.His promos were so energetic and full of emotion. He feuded with everybody from Ricky Steamboat to Randy Savage. He and the 4 Horsemen were the greatest stable in history. The original one. With Tully Blanchard and the Andersons. Nobody can top him.

2. Hulk Hogan. Hogan made money everywhere. He has had memorable matches. But his in ring work was not good at all. He sucked at wrestling. The only reason he got to bodyslam Andre the Giant was because he was hurt. That is why he is 2nd. He cut his best promos when he was in the NWO. He played a true heel with his feud with Sting. He is a great character and a great salesman. Hogan made a career out of his name. His look worked for him early in his career but got old after a while. The NWO refreshed his career. That was genius of him.

3. Stone Cold. He wasn't a good worker either. He nor Hogan could wrestle but they could work a crowd. Stone Cold made more money in a year that Hogan or anyone else in the WWE. His promos were so real that it made the fans think they were involved. His feud with Bret Hart is a classic feud that helped both of their careers. That match with Ken Shamrock as a special referee. WHen he passed out in pain. That match in my opinion made Stone Cold. He went on to have great matches with the Rock. He won most of those.

4. Randy Savage. I put Savage at 4 only because he was not quite as big a draw as Stone Cold. Savage could work. His feud with Diamond Dallas Page was great. Feud of the Year. Those matches were done so that people thought that they really hated each other. Randy elevated Page. He and Ricky Steamboat had a classic feud in the WWE. Their match for the IC belt was an all time great. He cut promos that showed how crazy he was. He worked his real life into his career and it helped him. He and Elizabeth made a great team. Together and apart when she turned on him

5. Undertaker. He is a hall of famer. He has feuded with everyone from Hulk Hogan to Mick Foley to Ric Flair to Vince Mcmahon. Everybody remebers when he threw Foley off the cage. People remember when he hung the Big Bossman in the from the cage. His joining Vince Mcmahon in the Ministry was awesome. WHen he kidnapped Stephanie and hung her on the cross. That was great. He is multiple time heavyweight champion as well as a former tag team champion. He deserves the next send off like Ric Flair got when he retires.

I'm going to be doing my top five favourites of all time, not the best ever. I'll be judging these wrestlers on my own random and often intangible criteria. Most likely not drawing power, as I only discuss that in terms of what's good for a company, not who I like and not psychology, as that's a bunch of bull.

1. Kurt Angle

There's so many reasons for Angle to be my number one it's difficult to explain. I guess you could just say that he's all I expect from a wrestler. Primarily, he's the most entertaining and unorthodox wrestler in mainstream wrestling. I'm not talking, "Oooh, he can do a bunch of flips" or even "Ooh, he did a Chimerarera Plex Sexy Sally II with Bridged Compartment." He just doesn't wrestle the regular style you see in professional wrestling. I suppose you could say he wrestles like it's an actual sport, and does it better than any else. Better than any pretentious indy wrestler on the planet.

He's stolen the show on numerous occasions, and climbed to the top despite apparently lacking ring pschology or any of that BS. His matches with competent people are fantastic. His matches with skilled veterans are fucking legendary. He's also managed to include comedy elements into what is actually quite a serious character, and it doesn't jar either. I think he's what everyone claims Shawn Michaels to be - "the best in ring performer there is."

2. The Undertaker

I'm not really sure why The Undertaker is number two. He's been terribly inconsistent throughout his career and his gimmick often comes over as, dare I say it, silly. My brain tells me he is though, so there's got to be some reason. Let's see, hmm...

Firstly, the gimmick. Whereas on some occasions it comes across as silly, on other occasions it comes across as fittingly epic and even nostalgic. I marked out when he came out in his old school attire at WrestleMania, for example.

Then the inconsistency: it doesn't really bother me. He's had a long enough career that, despite long periods of being absolute shit, he's compiled a lengthy list of classics. Favourite ever being, no surprise, Angle/Taker at No Way Out 2006. Why wasn't it at WrestleMania!? WHHHHYYYYYYYY!?

3. Shawn Michaels

I swap number three position so much it's silly. Some days it's Steve Austin, some days it's The Rock, other days, like today, it's the Heart Break Kid. So, why is he my number three today? Well, today I decided to prioritise flair, flamboyancy and cool highlight packages over sheer nostalgia.

Like it or not, Shawn Michaels is one of the best in ring performers ever. There have been others sure, but none who have shared such memorable moments with me as Michaels. I'll often criticize him for having the same moves every match, or for repeating the same stuff over and over. But I'll tell you what, once they find their niche, every wrestler, every last one repeats the same thing over and over. Well, except The Undertaker I suppose. There are probably a few others. My point is, Michaels has managed to do that while still entertaining the shit out of me.

I'll edit in the final two later. What? I'm tired. I also realise it's a very predictable list. There's a reason it's predictable; because the wrestlers on it are fucking awesome.

If we're rating them on all aspects (in-ring skills, mic skills, drawing power, effect on the business, etc) then I have to say...

1. Shawn Michaels
2. Bret Hart
3. The Undertaker
4. Kurt Angle
5. Stone Cold Steve Austin or Hulk Hogan

Every one of them has been a major part of the wrestling community and their characters have become very memorable. The reason Stone Cold and Hogan aren't at the top is because of their in-ring skills. Nobody can argue that they're the two biggest draws in history, but is that far overshadowing everything else? I don't think so. Hogan was horrible in the ring, so I can't rightly put him above the others. I'd elaborate, but I don't really think I have to lol. We've all had these arguments on other threads before. The only other thing I'd like to note is that I wasn't watching wrestling when Angle was big in the WWE...that was my 9 year hiatus period...so I can't really comment on him, but I added him onto the list due to all that I've heard from everyone else. So if anybody that is a huge Angle fan feels he should be below Austin/Hogan, don't blame me too much haha.

Are you kidding me? Shawn Michaels over Austin and Hogan. The only thing on this forum that gets me a little irritated is when people bash Hogan because he "lacks in ring skills." Everyone who says it never tells us what in ring skills are. You do realize that this is not a real sport, and the whole point is to get the crowd into the match, care about your character, and tell a great story. If the point were to be great at wrestling holds, then we could plop any olympic gold medlaist in the ring and he would draw. Getting people to react was something Austin and Hogan did far superior to HBK. I love HBK and Bret Hart, but even I can say that they were a distant 4 and 5 (probably lower for Michaels) behind Hogan, Andre, and Austin.

I would have to say the top 5 ever are

1. Hulk Hogan- This is really non debatable. He was the biggest face and heel of all time. The biggest draw in the history of the sport. Everyone knows who he is.

2. Steve Austin- The only person you can even make a rational argument for being better than Hogan. From 98-99 he had entire areanas packed sitting through horrible cards just to see him in the Main Event. When he came out, the place went absolutely nuts.

3. Andre the Giant- Everything you hear about Andre from guys like Bobby Heenan and Vince is true. The guy was the biggest thing in wrestling before Hogan. He passed the torch gracefully and was slighly outdone by Hulkamania.

4. Bret Hitman Hart- One of my three personal favorites, Bret ushered in the technical era that guys like Michaels could enjoy. I personally think Shawn owes Bret a lot as he made the transition from larger than life champions to selling wrestling as the focal point. I will never understand how so many people on here bash Hart, yet praise guys like Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, and Kurt Angle for their "in ring skills."

5. The Undertaker- Pretty much what NorCal said. The Undertaker has remianed relevant and over for 20 years. Even when he wasn't the champion throughout the 90's he was one of the focal points of the card, sometimes even getting the last spot for a regular match even when there was a title match on the card. He's just as over now was he was when he first turned face. He even got a huge pop at UFC 82 when they showed him sitting in the crowd.

1.Jushin Thunder Lyger.
Has this man EVER had a bad match?Hes the creator of the shooting star press,has a sick powerbomb and the most techincal move set today In Japan if you mention him,a fan of his could go on for hours.The man can also make the crowd Pop like CRAZY-watch his match with Muta when his mask gets taken off.STUFF OF LEGEND~!

2.Ric Flair.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!The 60 minute man should be on everyones list.The man has survived a plane crash and wrestled 60 minute matches every day of the WEEK.
He may have been not been his former self when he retired but a legend none the less.

3.HBK
Lets look-First hell in a cell-First ladder match-First man to enter as No.1 and win the rumble-First man to win back to back rumbles.Yep,thats a GOOD List.Like Liger he hasn't had a bad match on PPV(That I can think of).Hes made a superkick look lethal.

4.Kurt Angle.
Master of gimmicks.He can play ANY-And I mean ANY-Role.Comedy,Pure Evil,All American and a pure face.He's the greatest ametaur to pro ever.The Ankle Lock,is perhaps,the greatest finisher in Kurts Hands.

5.The Rock.
Entertaining,Funny,good as a heel and a damn good wrestler.The Rock is without a doubt the greatest wrestler from The Attuide Era.Screw Stone Cold,HHH,And the rest.This man entertained millions,and has become a easily recongised man worldwide

1. Hulk Hogan. As much as I wanted to put Flair here, I just can't do it. Hogan was dominant everywhere he went. He just had that X factor that no one else ever had and its so clear to see. He could do it all and could do it all as well as anyone else. There is no question at all that without him, wrestling may not be around today, at least it wouldn't be what it is today.

2. Ric Flair. I have to go with him just based on what I saw in his retirement ceremony. I've been a fan of wrestling for almost 20 years, and never have I been moved to tears before, but I could barely watch the end of it as I couldn't see through the tears in my eyes. To see that kind of reaction for a wrestler retiring is so unbelieveable to see. No one, not Austin, not Taker, not Hogan, not Michaels, not HHH will ever get that kind of send off, and as much as I respect those people, none of them deserve it either. Taker has been around forever, and he is half as far along as Flair's career was. That's flat out hard to comprehend.

3. Undertaker. He gets this for me for 2 reasons. One is that he is the best big man of all time, bar none. With all due respect to Andre, he lost a lot at the end of his career. Granted Andre seemed to not mind being in the mid card his whole career, he never truly won the world title, which does mean something to say you are a worl champion, although less so in his case. Taker on the other hand, when you look at his resume, it's amazing. He's won a rumble, he's won tag titles, he's won 7 world titles, equal to the rock, second only to HHH in WWE, and he'll probably win more in his career. He has jobbed whenever asked to, and has put up with more bs than anyone else, yet he is arguably the most over guy on the roster today.

4. Kurt Angle. This man is so far ahead of everyone else as far as amateur wrestling abilities its not even close to funny. He could out wrestle just about anyone with ease, and had great comedic skills to go with it. Here you have a real athlete coming into Sports Entertainment and dominating it. He's great, and it's a shame his neck isn't healthy or he could be higher up.

5. Austin. Wow Stone Cold is only 5th. That's amazing. This man is second only to Hogan in drawing power all time. He saved WWF in the late 90s almost by himself. Yes he's had some issues with authority, but he almost should get a pass for it. Without him, we'd be watching Nitro and Thunder every week. He was the WWF in the late 90s. I've been watching old Raws from this era and I am on the go home show before wrestlemania 14 where he won the title. He is clearly the top star in the company a good 5 months before this. The crowd just responds to him in a way not seen since Hogan. Can't leave him off the list.

Haha. Cant believe my post got removed for "Spamming", so Ill post it again, with REASONS why my point is valid.

So, everyone is picking people from the 90's. Wow. I mean, these are the greatest wrestlers of A time (Post-1990).

So, does anyone remember Harley Race? A former 8 Time NWA Heavyweight Champion, and the first United States Champion? In the WWE Hall of Fame, and his name is consistent in the world of Pro Wrestling. Nah, he doesnt deserve a mention.

Stu Hart? Maybe he wasnt a "Pro" as what some people would class as Pro-Wrestler on here, but all the wrestlers he trained, his name is legendary, a former NWA US Champion. Nah, he doesnt deserve a mention.

Dory Funk Jr.? The 4 YEAR NWA World Heavyweight Champion, Multi Time Tag Champion, and a record holder with 250 Victorious Texas Death Matches? Nah, he doesnt deserve a mention.

Terry Funk? Retired more times that anyone cares to remember. Hardcore legend. Former ECW and NWA Champ. WWE Legend. A role model for people like Mick Foley? Wrestling since the Sixties? Nah, he doesnt deserve a mention.

Dusty Rhodes? Another wrestling from the Sixties. Multi time NWA Champion and NWA Tag Champion. Doesnt deserve a mention?

Fact is, all the wrestlers, apart from Ric Flair and Bret, would get their asses handed to them by the five Ive just mentioned.

These guys in their prime, were and still are the greatest Wreslters to ever grace the ring. Add Ric Flair to that mix, and possibly The Undertaker.

I just cant believe that these so called wrestling "fans" are naming people like Shawn Michaels and Stone Cold, over people like Dusty Rhodes?

What a joke!

Well, the top five gotta combine three things: Charisma, The Look, and Athleticism. With that in Mind, here are the top 5 of all time. I think you will agree

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin- Possibly the greatest when it comes to pure charisma. The Leader of the Attitude era, and a great in ring worker. Had an atheletic background before becoming a pro wrestler. Also the bald head and goatee sparked a new look in pro wrestling

The Rock- Also up there in pure charisma. The guy was the best of the mic, well at least top 3 ever. Another athletic background. Was criticized for not being a good wrestler, then went one on one with Chris Benoit in a submission match. and won. Changed his look a few times, but still maintained.

Shawn Michaels- "Stone Cold" may have lead the attitude era, but Michaels started it off in 1996 with his win over Bret Hart. A GREAT and AWESOME in ring worker. Has had classics with Hart, Kurt Angle, Shelton Benjamin, Triple H and the list goes on. His look kinda personafied the new generation of wrestlers. This guy has also had to bear alot of "it guy" weight while in the WWE.

Kurt Angle- When it comes to in ring work, he raised the bar to a whole new level. Olympic gold medalist, he has won almost every title contended for while in WWE AND TNA. Has had a few *matches of the year* and also has a great look. His charisma has also suprised a few people and has had some memoral segments across wrestling television.

Ric Flair:flair:- THE Greatest of all time. No argument. His interviews and promos are LEGENDARY! Made you hate him just because of his rich snob look, with the suits and long blonde hair. Had great in ring skills as well and had great, GREAT matches with Rhodes, Steamboat, Sting, Triple H and Shawn Michaels as well. The mold for charisma, there will NEVER be another like him, and sorry, but light years ahead of Hulk Hogan

Haha. Cant believe my post got removed for "Spamming", so Ill post it again, with REASONS why my point is valid.

So, everyone is picking people from the 90's. Wow. I mean, these are the greatest wrestlers of A time (Post-1990).

So, does anyone remember Harley Race? A former 8 Time NWA Heavyweight Champion, and the first United States Champion? In the WWE Hall of Fame, and his name is consistent in the world of Pro Wrestling. Nah, he doesnt deserve a mention.

Stu Hart? Maybe he wasnt a "Pro" as what some people would class as Pro-Wrestler on here, but all the wrestlers he trained, his name is legendary, a former NWA US Champion. Nah, he doesnt deserve a mention.

Dory Funk Jr.? The 4 YEAR NWA World Heavyweight Champion, Multi Time Tag Champion, and a record holder with 250 Victorious Texas Death Matches? Nah, he doesnt deserve a mention.

Terry Funk? Retired more times that anyone cares to remember. Hardcore legend. Former ECW and NWA Champ. WWE Legend. A role model for people like Mick Foley? Wrestling since the Sixties? Nah, he doesnt deserve a mention.

Dusty Rhodes? Another wrestling from the Sixties. Multi time NWA Champion and NWA Tag Champion. Doesnt deserve a mention?

Fact is, all the wrestlers, apart from Ric Flair, would get their asses handed to them by the five Ive just mentioned.

These guys in their prime, were and still are the greatest Wreslters to ever grace the ring. Add Ric Flair to that mix, and possibly The Undertaker.

I just cant believe that these so called wrestling "fans" are naming people like Shawn Michaels and Stone Cold, over people like Dusty Rhodes?

What a joke!

For the most part, have to disagree with you here. Race, I won't argue with you one.

Hart as you said is better known for his training. He has made great contributions to the sport, but as far as what he did in the ring, it is very little overall. Not saying he isn't a great contributor, but as far as top 5 ever, I'd have to leave him out.

The Funks, you have to factor in the time frame. Back then, the world title meant a lot more than it does now. Now, when Cena held the title for a year, it was a huge deal. THe other issue I have with the Funks was their overall look. In wrestling, the overall visual appeal as well as charisma means so much. If it was all about technique in the ring, Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit, WIlliam Regal and Kurt Angle would be the Mount Rushmore of wrestling. Guys like the Undertaker and Hogan would be out of work also as they are adaquate in the ring, but their main appeal is their look.

Finally Dusty Rhodes. To me, the most overrated wrestler of all time, period. He was a 3 time world champion, with no long term reign to his credit. He was notorious for rarely putting people over, and his most famous image is coming in after Flair's most famous title win and making sure he got his share of the spotlight. I don't know if I'd put him in the top 50, let alone the top 5.

Fact is, all the wrestlers, apart from Ric Flair and Bret, would get their asses handed to them by the five Ive just mentioned.

What a joke!

Don't come on here and insult the intelligence of our posters just because you can name a few old school territory legends. The fact is, no matter how much you hate it, you cannot have an all time greatest list without Hogan.

If it wasn't for Hulkamania, you wouldn't be able to watch Raw, Smackdown, ECW, or TNA every week. If anything, you'd be getting local ROH shows every once and a while, thats it. Hogan brought wrestling mainstream, guys like Rhodes, Race, and even Funk took a back seat to Hogan once wrestling went from territories to nationwide. Rhodes appealed to some fans in some territories, but on a national scale he was a midcarder at best. Funk was at least worthy of having matches with Hogan when WWF went nationwide, but he is still a far cry from Hulkamania.

Why is that only 2 people up here had enough sense to put the rock on their lists? Randy Savage? The Undertaker? Kurt Angle??????? Bret Hart?????????Are you guys serious??????

1. Hulk Hogan-For obvious reasons

2. The Rock/Stone Cold Steve Austin- These 2 guys were the were the Attitude Era and might I add was the most lucrative period in wrestling until that point. Not many can say their matches Main Evented Wrestlemainia twice. Also these guys were extremely popular in pop culture as whole. Their wrestling abilities werent the best but it was good enough. And finally, their promos and drawing power are only second to the man listed above.

Shawn Micheals-When youve been the Main Event of Wrestlemania 5 times in different eara of wrestling not much more needs to said. That position alone signifies who you are and what you mean to the business.

4. Ric Flair-16 time world champ. Hes still the perfect heel blueprint for any wrestler today. His promos are some of the greatest Ive ever seen and hes been a great draw in every promotion hes been in.

5. Triple H-Say what you about the guy but hes been the man for almost 10 years. His in ring ability is damn near second to none. Hes been a consistantly good draw, and his promos have never been in question whether it has been as a face or heel.

5. Triple H-Say what you about the guy but hes been the man for almost 10 years. His in ring ability is damn near second to none. Hes been a consistantly good draw, and his promos have never been in question whether it has been as a face or heel.

Wow, this is worse than the guy who listed Stu Hart. Triple H is one of the most overrated wrestlers from the last 10 years. He has been on top for most of the last ten years, but he didn't do it by being the best, he did it by holding guys back because he knew they were better than him.

You're right though, Triple H's in ring work is almost second to none. You only have to throw out Hogan, Austin, Rock, Angle, Undertaker, Randy Savage, Bret Hart, HBK, Andre the Giant, Cena, Edge, Sting, and maybe a few others and Triple H will be right up there.

1. Hulk Hogan...If it was up to me this would be Stone Cold but there is no way I can deny that Hulk Hogan is the reason that wrestling is what it is today. Best face for what seemed like an eternity, best heel for during one the best surges ever in wrestling.

2. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin...Easy enough for me the guy had it all. Was the fuel behind one of the greatest feuds of all time and was cornerstone of one of the most lucrative periods of pro wrestling. His promos are some of the greatest ever.

3. Shawn Michaels...Although Shawn Michaels is my personal favorite he is easily beaten by Austin and Hogan. A guy that has the whole package: can brawl, have a technical battle, fly like a cruiserweight, you name it. A pioneer in so many things that it's crazy. The guy has been going a good 16 or 17 years and we are still not tired of him.

4. Bret Hart...Along with Michaels led a slow era in the WWE and he still was the best in the world. Pretty much pioneered technical wrestling in the WWE. Loses in a close race to HBK because unfortunately his career fizzled out towards the end because all of the B/S in WCW. As was said before, there isn't a bad Bret Hart match.

5. Ric Flair...Has become the standard in delivering a promo and is probaly why we hold promo-giving in such a high regard. Had some of the best feuds ever and did it as good as anyone for over 25 years.

Honorable Mentions: Kurt Angle, Undertaker, Sting

Don't come on here and insult the intelligence of our posters just because you can name a few old school territory legends. The fact is, no matter how much you hate it, you cannot have an all time greatest list without Hogan.

If it wasn't for Hulkamania, you wouldn't be able to watch Raw, Smackdown, ECW, or TNA every week. If anything, you'd be getting local ROH shows every once and a while, thats it. Hogan brought wrestling mainstream, guys like Rhodes, Race, and even Funk took a back seat to Hogan once wrestling went from territories to nationwide. Rhodes appealed to some fans in some territories, but on a national scale he was a midcarder at best. Funk was at least worthy of having matches with Hogan when WWF went nationwide, but he is still a far cry from Hulkamania.

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome.

Whose insulting intelligence? Im certainly not. It just seems that some havent given this question some proper thought.

And given the fact that all your Pics are Hogan related, Im presuming your a Massive Biased Hogan Fan.

Hogan was a name. he got people into wrestling.

For Wrestling sake (as in Wrestling WITH Wrestlers) Hogan was crap.
For Wrestling Sake (as a Public image, and popularity) Hogan was gold-dust.

Seems you cant get over the fact that Hogan just couldnt wrestle. I cant see why you got touchy over that!

And for that, if you HAVE to include Hogan in that list because of what he did for the Sport in general, I would still say Ric Flair was always going to be Number One. Ric Flair was Wrestling. The Greatest Wrestler of all time. Hogan was the name on the sheet that people came to see.

Hell, Bret Hart comes in higher up than Hogan, because he was a perfect Wrestler. SO does Curt Hennig.

(EDIT: Thought Id mention that every time Ric Flair goes on about the foundations of Wrestling, he mentions many of these names. Are you saying Ric Flair doesnt know what he is talking about!?)

In no way am I saying that Wrestling would be the same as it is today without Hogan. He did this. He did it all. He made this sport a must watch Sport. And for that reason, he was pushed as far as he could go, and given the title so many times to keep the business (or the name of the company which he was contracted to) up there. But, without the people I mentioned, there wouldnt have been a product for Hogan to make Mainstream. What comes first? The Chicken, or the Egg?

Im simply asking people to keep an open mind when selecting their Wrestlers. And even after I post the previous reply, someone mentions Triple H, which is the biggest load of crap Ive ever heard.

Name one thing thats great about this guy, apart from his ability to get into bed with the Boss' daughter, thus assuring himself of a deal for life, and a nice stake in the company when Vinnie Mac passes it down.

Another wrestler over pushed, over valued, and should be mid-carding, while other wrestlers bust their asses for the top spot.

Although Trips can wrestle a lot more than Hogan can/could. :p

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome.

No problem

Whose insulting intelligence? Im certainly not. It just seems that some havent given this question some proper thought.

They have, you came off as trying to make yourself seem better then them because you can name some older wrestlers. Some of them probably know who you are talking about, it doesn't mean they are gonna change their mind.

And given the fact that all your Pics are Hogan related, Im presuming your a Massive Biased Hogan Fan.

Look again, maybe I'm just a massive biased pasta fan?

Hogan was a name. he got people into wrestling.

For Wrestling sake (as in Wrestling WITH Wrestlers) Hogan was crap.
For Wrestling Sake (as a Public image, and popularity) Hogan was gold-dust.

Seems you cant get over the fact that Hogan just couldnt wrestle. I cant see why you got touchy over that!

I wasn't getting touchy, I was challenging your view. We are talking about pro wrestling here, which is all based on entertainment. It doesn't matter if Hogan didn't pull of a dropkick and arm drag every match he got people to watch and care more than any other wrestler ever, that makes him the best.

If you want to watch WRESTLERS wrestle WRESTLERS than watch the oympics or grappling tournament.

And for that, if you HAVE to include Hogan in that list because of what he did for the Sport in general, I would still say Ric Flair was always going to be Number One. Ric Flair was Wrestling. The Greatest Wrestler of all time. Hogan was the name on the sheet that people came to see.

Hell, Bret Hart comes in higher up than Hogan, because he was a perfect Wrestler.

You are making no sense with statements like this. You are admiting people came to see Hogan and not Flair, you just proved my point for me. Ric Flair may have been big wrestling for a short time in a small area of the country, but Hogan was big wrestling everywhere in America for two different wrestling booms. Hogan was huge nationwide, Flair was big in certain territories.

As for Hart, he's my all time favorite (tied with Savage and Taker) but I could never admit he was better than Hogan. Hart drew great worldwide, but not like Hogan did.

Im simply asking people to keep an open mind when selecting their Wrestlers. And even after I post the previous reply, someone mentions Triple H, which is the biggest load of crap Ive ever heard.

I'm cool with you stating your opinion, I just thought you came off a little arrogant (maybe its because I saw your initial post that was deleted). Sorry if you meant no harm.

he6rt6gr6m Im not a Triple H fan but u have 2 respect the guy...U like all hhh haters get caught up the present...before he was wit "the bosses daughter" he was aready over.. in recent years he has had the wwe in his back pocket but its not like hes corny n need 2 use the power 2 his advantage. in HHH's career he has made alot ppl look good cut some great promos and classic matches. as a wrestling fan and not a backstage fan u have to give that to him. slim you must be a full time idiot 2 say rock austin cena andre the giant edge and the undertaker are better ring workers than Triple H....you need 2 get your eyes checked......and as a disclaimer to all ppl who think Im a triple h fan....Im actually a Orton fan who thinks the age of Orton should continue

Top 5 wrestlers should be the first guys who come to your head when you think of wrestling. It's not based on in ring talent but who is most recognizable.

1. Hulk Hogan - He was front and centre when wrestling went main stream. Clearny not the most talentnted but nearly everyone in the world knows Hulk Hogan and know he is a wrestler.

2. Ric Flair - Although I am personally not a fan he is viewed by many (not me) as the best wrestler of all time based on talent, one of the best heels of all time and recognizable for wrestling fans at any point of the last 30 years.

3. The Rock - Most charismatic wreslter ever, has countless classic promo's and a lot of great matches too, the most popular person associated with wrestling today. Used the business as a spring board to superstardom.

4. Bret Hart - Probably the hardest worker and most dedicated in-ring performer since the wrestling boom of the 80's. Terriffic in-ring work and underrated promos. The guy can play the underdog face role better than anyone and one of the most hated heels (depending where you live) during his feud with Shawn Michaels and DX. A hero in his country.

5. Steve Austin - The man who headlined WWF when it was at it's peak. Still generates huge pops even when you know he is there for one reason, to kick McMahon's ass. Played a tremendous heel, even after he had finished his feud with Bret Hart (my favorite wrestler) I just couldn't stand to cheer for him

Honorable Mention:
Shawn Michaels - Probably the most well rounder wrestler of all time, could fly, get down on the mat, brawl and cut a sick promo. Even though he has been around for 20 + plus years many of which using the same gimmick he never gets boring, the Heartbreak Kid gimmick was one of the best heels ever, I don't like him but I have to respect his in ring work.

Andre the Giant - A novelty for outsiders but wrestling fans know he is a good in ring worker who got by on more than just his size.

Undertaker - Not the most marketable star (an undead man who uses dark magic) he nevertheless got over and has dominated wrestling for the last 20 odd years

Triple H - Will always be scrutinized for marrying the boss's daughter. A terrific in ring worker and even better on the mic, although his act has gotten somwhat stale he is still one of the most recognizable wrestlers in the world today

Thought I would throw my top 5 into this convosation.

1: Hulk Hogan. Yes he is bland. Yes, he held people back. Yes, He pretty much killed WCW. But back in the 80s, he got over huge(erven though he was shit back then). The media lapped him up, kiddies wanted to be Hulk Hogan and take vitamins(or steroids in Hulks case). I cannot stand the sight of the washed up loser now, but I do have respect for him and Vince for taking wrestling from the regionals and making it mainstream.

2: Stone Cold. The 90s biggest star. He had huge matchups and pretty much changed the course of the wrestling war with "Austin 3:16 just whooped your arse" That one moment seemed to catapult him from midcard act to a whitehot antihero, kicking Vinces arse every week and rqaisning hell, something that hadnt been done before and made people sit up.

3: The Rock. Yes people whinge on and moan about how he "sold out", but frankly, Im happy that he has walked away from wrestling, unlike those stars who cant let go (Hogan). He pretty much won everything that was going in the wrestling world, his matches and segments were hilarious and the fueds he had with guys like Mankind will go down as the most brutal, yet most entertaining I will ever see.

4: Ric Flair. It has all been done before. He is pro wrestling. I cannot say anymore as it would just be repeating everyone else.

5: Vince Mcmahon. I know some might say "zomg, a none wrestler in this list!!11", but Vince(along with Hogan) changed wresstling forever. He did it again with Sone Cold and the Montreal Incident. Vince is a genius when it comes to this business, however, he seems a little out of touch these days.

Honourable mentions.

Stu Hart - Pretty muched trained everyone that has been a WWE champion and I was saddened by his death

Paul Heyman : Had ideas that were fresh and new and made ECW into something of a cult following. Sadly, these ideas and talent were then taken by the big two, leaving Heyman to sturrgle on to the end, before finally going out of business.

Chris Benoit. My favourite wrestler. He could do damn near anything in that ring and have 4* matches every night.

Eric Bischof. Yes, he was a wanker. But thats what made him so good as a cocky heel. Everyone hated him, but yet, he eld WCW to a really successful period, at one point desmolishing the WWE to the point of extiction.

British Bulldog. More for the fact he was the first major British star to make it in Pro Wrestling. The fans here lapped him up, which led to the WWE expanding its braodcasting and tours over here.

Booker T. Im not black, but Booker was the first serious Black title holder that WCW/WWF had. Shame he got fucked over by politics in WWE.

Eddie Guerrero/Owen Hart. Two guys that have since left us, yet we miss them terribly. They both had the inring skills and mic skills to make it, yet both of them only had short runs at the top, despite being over. RIP

Dishonourable mentions

Triple H. Keeps people down, pretty much gets his own way 24/7. Yes, he was good 1998-2000(before he got married to Steph), but his act is stale and seemingly hasnt changed since then.

Kevin Nash. Horrible wrestler, horrible booker. Used politics to get his own way in WCW/WWE.

Vince Russo. Awful storylines, pretty much killed WCW in the end. Looks like he is dragging TNA down too.

John Cena. If he got his arse in gear, I wouldnt have put him on this list. His moveset is terrible, he looks at times like he does not give a shit about his work. If only he would sort this out and turned heel, im sure he could changed back face and go back to the huge merchadise seller he is now.

I don't care what Hogan's done for wrestling, he's not anywhere near my top five. And why should he be? I didn't even watch wrestling in the 80's, when he was big so I don't care for Hulkamania at its highest boom. Sure, I respect the guy for making pro wrestling as big as it is today, but that doesn't mean I have to put him on a pedastal above people who busted their asses harder than he has and were simply overall superior talent. I got into wrestling during the attitude era, so here it is...

1. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin: He had it all, especially pre-neck injury. One of the best in-ring competitors, even after his broken neck, he still had great matches, which goes to show how good he is. One of the best of all time promo workers and he benefited from being the main event star during the most creative time in WWE history.

2. Shawn Michaels: Prior to his back injury, he was untouchable; arguably one of the greatest in-ring competitors ever, but prior to his back injury, he was also a piece of shit backstage. Then he improves as a human being, returns as a shell of his former self but can still steal the show in his 40's. And it's not like the quality has gone down when you have young guys like Shelton, Elijah, Carlito, etc. So he's redeemed himself as a human being ans is still a solid worker.

3. Bret Hart: His moniker is closest to the truth as any in professional wrestling and he's humble in the way he claims to be the best in the sense he never critically injured an opponent in the ring. Nobody told a better story in the ring than Hart, in a natural way without all the flash or even a cartoon gimmick; enough said.

4. Kurt Angle: One of the greatest amateur mat wrestlers effortlessly transitioned into the wrestling business and had the promo ability to boot! When it comes to in-ring work, he is second only to Hart in my opinion and the man is damn determined to go down as one of the best. Even with a severely messed up neck, he refuses to quit.

5. The Undertaker: Even though I love the Undertaker, I will admit that Undertaker was shit when he first debuted. He was just another big guy, but Cole is not wrong when he cites the evolution of the Undertaker. The man has aged like a fine wine and is much better today, than when he was 15 years ago. His lengthly career and lonvegity at the top has created an aura around him, he is decent enough on the mic when he talks and his in-ring work is pretty damn good today.

1. Hulk Hogan - I wasn't even alive in the 80's and I still consider Hogan the best of all time. He put WWF/WWE on the map and it probably wouldn't have been as big as it was today without him.

2. Stone Cold Steve Austin - The only superstar that could rival Hogan's popularity. Austin was on top when I started watching WWF and he always drew. His promos were entertaining and his in ring ability was pretty good considering his neck problems.

3. Bret Hart - Best worker ever. Never injured his opponents, best technical wrestler of his time, decent mic skills and great work ethic.

4. Shawn Michaels - I don't think anyone has won more MotY than Shawn. Shawn is probably the best all rounded wrestler. He is decent on the mic and he is great at all kinds of matches.

5. The Undertaker - He has truly evolved over his 18 years in WWE. He has successfully played two VERY DIFFERENT characters and he has amazing wrestling abilities for a man his size.

1. Shawn Michaels: You can call me a hbk mark if u want to but he is one of greatest wrestlers to ever lace their boots. Granted he was a dick back then but no on can argue quality wise only a few rival him. Give him a great opponent and you are guaranteed a 5 star match(bret or kurt)or even a trash opponent(masters or cena) and make them better than they r. Plus he innovated so many matches I believe he began the attitude era and Austin and rock ran with it.
2. The Undertaker: The longivity and in ring work speaks for itself. His gimmick was so original and fresh and entrance made you feel goosebumps. He wasn't just a big man him and vader were one of the few big men that were very athelic. Even when he was Big evil he was cool and always seem dominate

3. The Rock: He is not one of my favorites but he was one the most entertaining wrestlers in wwe. People talk about hogan drawing a lot which is true but just like hogan the rock was a household name as well. Even as a heel it was hard to boo him

4. DDP: o it seems people fogot about him. DDP was one the most underrated wrestlers I have seen. I think he wrestling career was awesome because he started so late but had such an impact. He took the ace crusher(diamond cutter) and innovated it to where he could hit it from anywhere and any position. He didn't draw like the rest on this list but if he pushed more would have been more sucessful

5. Bret hart: can I say anything no else hasn't mention yet

Honorable mentions: hulk hogan randy savage booker t chris benoit eddy guerrano sting stone cold ric flair rvd

I'll give my opinion on the five greatest wrestlers of all time.

1 Hulk Hogan
People might make the claim that Ric Flair was wrestling but I think that is BS, Hulk Hogan was and STILL is wrestling. He is synonymous with it in every way. Everyone knew and still does know who he was/is. He is the single biggest draw in all of wrestling history and that was not only during one wrestling boom but TWO. He had absolutely amazing charisma, promo skills, and entertaining abilities.

2 Stone Cold Steve Austin
The second greatest draw ever. The man filled arenas in the 90s, put on great matches, probably the best match ever with Bret Hart, and had wildly entertaining promos and segments. The man gave birth to the attitude era and took the wrestling world by storm.

3 The Undertaker
One of the greatest in ring wrestlers ever, without a doubt the greatest big man wrestler ever. The undertaker has been wrestling in WWE for nearly 20 years and IMO has never gotten stale. He played two completely different characters greatly and has been constantly adapting in ring for his 18 year history. He has great mic skills and is my favorite all time wrestler. I would have put him as number one but his drawing ability is greatly overshadowed by the previous two.

4 Shawn Michaels
An incredible wrestler. This man is always entertaining in the ring. He is also great on the outside with his great mic skills and segments. He could have been higher but he missed years of wrestling due to a back injury and does not draw as well as the above.

5 Andre The Giant
He helped to change the landscape of wrestling along with Hogan. People would fill arenas just to see them face each other. He also was very popular on his own and had great drawing ability.

My top 5 wrestlers are like this

1: Ric Flair-no debate here

2: Stone Cold-the greatest mic man in the wwf attitude era besides rock,even today the crowd goes nuts when he comes out.ring wise okay his skills deminished after that bad neck but his promos and crowd support makes him one of the tops of the wrestling hill

3: Shawn Micheals- the icon that can still go is the man that carried the wwf when wcw killed them every week for 2 years. if his back wasnt bad i dont think we would be hearing too much of the rock or even triple h during the attitude era 1998-2001 still legendary in ring performer.

4: Bret Hart- great wrestler fan favorite even when he was a heel in the wwf in 1997 he's fourth in my list because of how wcw buried him and made him a beast in the mid card but a jobber to the stars but still a great worker, ahead of his time.

5:Rob Van Dam- The most over guy in ECW and the WWE the whole F'N SHOW. incredible wrestler good on the mic better in the cocky role than hbk was didnt need a manager and made even the crappiest wrestlers look good. only if the wwe didnt use him as a monkey a gave him a good 5 to 6 month title reign still good enough to make my list.

Ok this is the kind of question that no-one is going to be able to accurately answer eventhough it is opinion based. That is unless you're the kinda guy that is an expert with every major promotion in every major wrestling country in the world, not just now, but dating back several decades. Someone on here complained that everyone was mentioning 90's guys and that the older wrestlers were better than people like Shawn Michaels. Whoever said that clearly is familiar with more wrestling than other people. We dont all have access to 30 year old tapes and some of us are so young that the attitude era is all we ever knew so this OPINION based survey is based entirely on what each individual that is responding to it has seen.

Anyway i think it's hard to judge this because when one says wrestler you have to think about the greater scheme of things, namely how well they draw, so by that standard of course Hogan and Austin are the top 2 guys ever by a wide margin. Instead i'll be making this my 5 favourite guys i have ever seen wrestle, in no particular order.

1. Steve Austin
This guy captivated a crowd like no other I've seen (I've only seen Hogan's era on brief highlight reels and it's fine and all, but that era of wrestling appealed to idiots who didnt know it was fake). He changed how wrestling was, not single-handed, but he was the poster boy of the attitude era. His feud with McMahon, his giving the finger, drinking beer, hitting the stunner on authority figures, and generally raising hell was so different compared to the days of brightly coloured attire and feuds compromised mostly by pointing and accusations of cheating. His matches were almost secondary, sorta like Hogan, but once he got into the ring, he was solid. I dont know what more you want from a wrestler to be honest.

2. The Undertaker
Greatest big man in the history of pro wrestling and second place is so far behind him it's not even a contest. Can anyone sell as well as the Deadman? He is believable when he is dominating or being dominated. Typical larger guys you know they're going to beat the hell out of the other guy with a limited move set, Undertaker can give you twenty exciting minutes that ipress the hell out of you. The American Bad-Ass gimmick allowed him to be more expressive so i dont mind it. It's a true testament to how good he is that no-one complained when he "died and came back from the dead to face Kane". With any other angle like that everyone in the world would be outraged by it but we love that gimmick so much we sit through it. Too many good matches to list.

3. Shawn Michaels
Been around, seen it all, done it all, great performer even to this day. If anything he has been better since he came back than he was before. Best finisher ever, forget fancy holds or complicated slams, HE KICKS YOU IN THE FACE!!! I dont like a lot of old-school wrestling, and this isnt even old by most definitions, but his matches with Bret Hart were amazing, and he was just such a great cocky heel. Him and HHH in the original DX was edgy because you knew the WWF werent totally ok with it but they did it anyway. Great feuds, great promos, great attitude, amazing in ring work, need i say anymore.

4. Kurt Angle
Best in-ring performer of all time... maybe... well if he isnt he's close. I dont think you could take any olympic or amateur wrestler and throw him in a ring and make him as good as Angle. He truly took to it and became an all-round superstar with good promos and a good persona. Most olympians could grapple convincingly, execute moves on others, but they wouldnt be able to sell their own pain and adapt as well as Angle can. He really got good after his head was shaved and he was pushed into main events more legitmately than his questionable first title reign. I loved how towards the end of a match he would suddenly turn it on and get bad-ass. He'd counter everything flawlessly, snap on that Ankle Lock, not let go no matter what and you could try all you want, but, you were tapping the fuck out. I enjoy watching these sequences so much and wish he would do it in TNA more. He did it to Joe at first and twice to Kaz (the reason those two matches were incredible). Shame he is going to end up crippled from pushing his body so much when it's all over. I'd love to see him in a WWE ring one last time.

5. Jeff Hardy just kidding, Scott Steiner, kidding again, Triple H... not kidding.
Probably one of the most controversial picks in this forum (besides DDP) but I'm a huge fan of The Game's work. He was the first major heel i had the pleasure of watching and he was what drew me into the WWF. His alliance with the McMahons against The Rock was brilliant and he really brought it in the ring every night , varying his moveset and selling very well. I dont think Triple H has ever had a 5-star match (maybe the iron-man match) but i also dont think he's ever had a bad one (unless his opponent was terrible). I will grant you in 2003 kinda time when he had the belt constantly, his in ring work slipped a little and his time in the new DX he got lazy, but it wasnt about the wrestling. I just think this guy is very solid and takes a hell of a lot of heat for being married to the boss' daughter. He was going to get to the main event regardless, watch his work prior to 2000, he was good. If you're Vince are you going to tell your daughter that her husband who is decent that he isnt good enough to be champion, and if you're HHH are you going to say "Top guy in the company? No thanks"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back