• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who is REALLY better?? Bret Hart Vs HBK

Who is better

• Bret Hart

• HBK

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is the part of your post that actually made me laugh out loud. Did you stop watching the WWE when Bret Hart left? Or did you not see how hated Shawn was in Canada? How much he worked the crowd to turn hate to absolutely detesting him, to people physically wanting to throw him out of the country?

A small piece of advice - Shawn Michaels is just as good as Hart. Better, maybe. That's arguable. But, you hold Hart in such high status above him it's laughable. I realise you're a big Hart fan, I'm a huge Shawn fan. But you need to get over your hatred for him, and you'll enjoy wrestling a hell of a lot more. Just because you love Hart, doesn't mean you can't like Shawn.

Shawn was only hated in Canada because he was fueding with Canada's finest wrestler. If he hadnt have been he wouldnt have been that hated. Simple as that.

Shawn Michaels isnt as good a wrestler as Bret Hart. Not a chance. I can be honest when it comes to things like this. I hate Hulk Hogan, as much as HBK. But I can say Hogan was a bigger influence on the wrestling business than Bret Hart. I would always put Hogan above Bret in any 'greatest wrestler of all time list'. And Bret probably would too. But HBK? Nope not a chance. He simply was not a better wrestler. Bret could execute moves better, tell better stories throughout the match, hell he could even blade better than HBK. He could blade other wrestlers better than HBK could blade himself (he bladed Austin at WM13).

Yeah I hold Bret in high esteem, because he deserves to be. HBK doesnt IMO.

Shawn was only hated in Canada because he was fueding with Canada's finest wrestler. If he hadnt have been he wouldnt have been that hated. Simple as that.

I don't know which angle to go with here. So I'll go with both. Hart was feuding with one of America's finest in Shawn Michaels. I'll wait for you to use your incredible bias to say Shawn isn't one of the finest. So here. you can save yourself some time. Whether you like him or not, he is one of the finest.

Secondly, what about after Hart left? Shawn was no longer feuding with him. But the heat was even better. Do you remember some of his promos in there? They were amazing, he worked the crowd as good as Bret Hart ever did.

Shawn Michaels isnt as good a wrestler as Bret Hart. Not a chance. I can be honest when it comes to things like this. I hate Hulk Hogan, as much as HBK. But I can say Hogan was a bigger influence on the wrestling business than Bret Hart. I would always put Hogan above Bret in any 'greatest wrestler of all time list'. And Bret probably would too. But HBK? Nope not a chance. He simply was not a better wrestler. Bret could execute moves better, tell better stories throughout the match, hell he could even blade better than HBK. He could blade other wrestlers better than HBK could blade himself (he bladed Austin at WM13).

Yeah I hold Bret in high esteem, because he deserves to be. HBK doesnt IMO.

I just can't get over fans like you. Well, I'd green rep you for the Hogan hate, if I didn't want to red rep you so badly for your blind hate of Shawn. Why can't you like both? It's a really simple thing to do. I'm one of the biggest Shawn fans in the world, but I admire Brets work, and I love a lot of his matches. You hate Shawn, because of what happened with Bret. You may as well admit it. It's as obvious as the fact this is a wrestling forum. You're missing out on so much by being like this.

I don't know which angle to go with here. So I'll go with both. Hart was feuding with one of America's finest in Shawn Michaels. I'll wait for you to use your incredible bias to say Shawn isn't one of the finest. So here. you can save yourself some time. Whether you like him or not, he is one of the finest.

Secondly, what about after Hart left? Shawn was no longer feuding with him. But the heat was even better. Do you remember some of his promos in there? They were amazing, he worked the crowd as good as Bret Hart ever did.

I just can't get over fans like you. Well, I'd green rep you for the Hogan hate, if I didn't want to red rep you so badly for your blind hate of Shawn. Why can't you like both? It's a really simple thing to do. I'm one of the biggest Shawn fans in the world, but I admire Brets work, and I love a lot of his matches. You hate Shawn, because of what happened with Bret. You may as well admit it. It's as obvious as the fact this is a wrestling forum. You're missing out on so much by being like this.

Bret wasnt getting heat for fueding with HBK though, he was getting heat for slating americans throughout most of 1997.

Do I hate HBK? Yeah I do. I aint going to lie about it. But if his matches were really that good, I would say so and give him credit. He has had some 5 star matches, but not as many as Bret and some of his spots are nonsense (the upside down flip, how idiotic is that?) All of Brets moves in all his matches made sense and they were there for a reason. Bret was a great director in his matches. He was Martin Scorsese. HBK is Jerry Bruckheimer. His films are all over the place at times. All HBK matches from about 2004 are the exact same now. He is quite bland. I dont feel im missin out on too much to be honest. Ive seen his best matches (although ive never seen the match with Foley at Mind Games).

This is the part of your post that actually made me laugh out loud. Did you stop watching the WWE when Bret Hart left? Or did you not see how hated Shawn was in Canada? How much he worked the crowd to turn hate to absolutely detesting him, to people physically wanting to throw him out of the country?

A small piece of advice - Shawn Michaels is just as good as Hart. Better, maybe. That's arguable. But, you hold Hart in such high status above him it's laughable. I realise you're a big Hart fan, I'm a huge Shawn fan. But you need to get over your hatred for him, and you'll enjoy wrestling a hell of a lot more. Just because you love Hart, doesn't mean you can't like Shawn.

Dude your statements make me laugh. we all watched wrestling after 1997, i dont think u did. Because when bret left in 1997, shortly hbk also left. He had no hand whatsoever in making attitude era a success. you say that hbk was better heel than bret because he was hated in canada. I think we all know why he was getting those loud boos in canada, solely because he screwed bret. It was not HBK s brilliance piece of work on mic or promos that earned him the boos and thus making him better heel. You know its just ridiculous to call HBK better than Bret. You dont see Gorilla monsoon giving the name exellence of execution to only one man because he deserved that . Why vince calling him greatest storyteller ever even after enormous amount of heat between these two. Because he knowed what Bret meant to wrestling. Wcw offering multi million contract to bret in 1996, not to hbk or any other wrestler. Can you tell me why..Simple because they know that bret was the best thing in wwe and they wanted to have him on their show.
I will never deny HBK atheletic ability..But you cant compare him to bret harts wrestling ability. Bret was born in a wresting familiy to do the stuff he knowed best and that was wrestling.

Dude your statements make me laugh. we all watched wrestling after 1997, i dont think u did.

And your reasoning for that is..what? When I can tell you exactly what was going on? When I'm clearly saying how Shawn was treated in Canada after 1997?

Because when bret left in 1997, shortly hbk also left. He had no hand whatsoever in making attitude era a success.

Compared to everything Bret Hart did for the attitude era? :rolleyes:

you say that hbk was better heel than bret because he was hated in canada.

If you read my posts properly, you'll see I'm very careful on saying 'better', and that apart from a personal preference, they're both very equal. My posts are directed at people not hating HBK because they're blind Hart fans, rather than trying to convert you all to HBK-aholic-ism.

I think we all know why he was getting those loud boos in canada, solely because he screwed bret.

For a different debate in a different thread.

It was not HBK s brilliance piece of work on mic or promos that earned him the boos and thus making him better heel.

Erm, excuse me? And this is why I think you stopped watching when Hart left. Didn't you see him in Canada? Sure, he could have got in the ring and still been booed without doing much. But there's being booed, and then there's what happened to Shawn Michaels. Watch a few segments again. See exactly how much he did to increase those boos to actual loathing of him.

You know its just ridiculous to call HBK better than Bret.

As ridiculous as it is for you to call Bret better than Shawn.

You dont see Gorilla monsoon giving the name exellence of execution to only one man because he deserved that .

Have we got onto names now? Does Mr. Wrestlemania and The Icon mean anything to you? He has those names because he deserves them. Stop being so against HBK because he had a feud with your lover, and start watching him for the great performer he is.

Why vince calling him greatest storyteller ever even after enormous amount of heat between these two. Because he knowed what Bret meant to wrestling.

Just as much as Shawn means to wrestling. Why do you think McMahons done what he can to make sure Shawn never left?

Wcw offering multi million contract to bret in 1996, not to hbk or any other wrestler. Can you tell me why..Simple because they know that bret was the best thing in wwe and they wanted to have him on their show.

WWE never let Shawn Michaels leave. Can you tell me why..Simple because they know that Shawn is the best thing in WWE and wanted him on their show.

I will never deny HBK atheletic ability..But you cant compare him to bret harts wrestling ability. Bret was born in a wresting familiy to do the stuff he knowed best and that was wrestling.

This is the most ignorant part of your post. I think. Growing up in a wrestling family means NOTHING. Seriously. Is Brooke Hogan going to become a great wrestler because of who her father is? That's Hulk Hogan by the way, I thought I'd make it clear. I'm not sure if you'd know with it not being about Bret Hart.

And your reasoning for that is..what? When I can tell you exactly what was going on? When I'm clearly saying how Shawn was treated in Canada after 1997?

You are basically giving HBK credit for the boos he got in canada. And i m clearly saying that it was not due to his supreme mic skills or disrespect to canada that earned him the great heel character, it was basically due to the fact that canadians were upset because he screwed bret. Had he not screwed Bret i dont think Hbk would have got the same response from the crowd. Even Vince got bigger booes than HBK

Compared to everything Bret Hart did for the attitude era? :rolleyes:

On the first hand bret was the core reason behind the starting of attitude era. In 1996 when bret came from semi retirement he selected steve austin to work with him, because he recognised the potential of steve austin better than any one. Its a fact that steve austin made his name in the wwe by wrestling bret hart. No one can argue that. Even steve admitted that wrestlemania 13 match made his carrier. As far as attitude era was concerned, you must not forget the heel character of evil boss played by vince mcmahon which helped the whole era. Why that character was acceptable and booed by wwe fans .. simple reason , because he screwed bret. That screw job helped vince mcmahon to build his reputation as the evil boss ..Sorry.. Not helped it made vince mcmahon as an evil boss.

If you read my posts properly, you'll see I'm very careful on saying 'better', and that apart from a personal preference, they're both very equal. My posts are directed at people not hating HBK because they're blind Hart fans, rather than trying to convert you all to HBK-aholic-ism.

Its simple .Its not a great gesture for bret hart fans if you put him equal to hbk

For a different debate in a different thread.

Come any time dear im ready for it.

Erm, excuse me? And this is why I think you stopped watching when Hart left. Didn't you see him in Canada? Sure, he could have got in the ring and still been booed without doing much. But there's being booed, and then there's what happened to Shawn Michaels. Watch a few segments again. See exactly how much he did to increase those boos to actual loathing of him

sure i have watched those tapes atleast dozen of times. Let s get the fact straight. even today if any wrestler inside a wwe ring calls the name of bret hart we hear loud cheers.. Doesnt matter who the wrestler is , in the same way if HBK is going to call the name of Bret hart in canada he is sure to get booed for the simple fact we know. Its more canadian hatred towards shawn rather than his mic skills or heel character.

As ridiculous as it is for you to call Bret better than Shawn.

Depends on taste. If you are honest to wrestling u wont say it.

Have we got onto names now? Does Mr. Wrestlemania and The Icon mean anything to you? He has those names because he deserves them. Stop being so against HBK because he had a feud with your lover, and start watching him for the great performer he is.

Who has given the name Mr . wrestlemania to shawn.. No one but himself. He self proclaimed himself as Mr wrestlemania but the truth is if any one deserve the title of mr wrestlemania its going to be undertaker..Bret got the names from the fellow wrestlers, promoters or owners of the company. No one can deny that except you. I never said shawn is not a great performer , He is . But when you compare him to bret he is not that great thats my deep feeling.

Just as much as Shawn means to wrestling. Why do you think McMahons done what he can to make sure Shawn never left?

Im not sure that Vince have any influence on HBK for not leaving the wwe. IT s basically that Eric never offered a contract to shawn micheals. We can see those points in Eric s interveiws in the past where he said if there was any
wrestler besides bret he wanted in the wwe that would have been the undertaker.

WWE never let Shawn Michaels leave. Can you tell me why..Simple because they know that Shawn is the best thing in WWE and wanted him on their show.

How the hell can anybody leave when he has no choice. Shawn was not the best thing in the wwe, his era just got started in 1996, but it finished as soon as bret hart made his comeback. We can see that in his famous "lost my smile" speech. When bret came back all the focus shifted on Bret and austin feud. America vs Canada storylines took centre stage in the wwe.

This is the most ignorant part of your post. I think. Growing up in a wrestling family means NOTHING. Seriously. Is Brooke Hogan going to become a great wrestler because of who her father is? That's Hulk Hogan by the way, I thought I'd make it clear. I'm not sure if you'd know with it not being about Bret Hart.

Growing in the wrestling mean nothing.Its not even a joke. If you think that way then its really sad. If thats the case people like Rock, Ted dibiase jr, harry smith, randy orton, natalya neidhart, Eddie gurero, chavo , etc mean nothing to you because they are born in wrestling family. Hell even vince mcmahon growed in wrestling business. Its a simple fact if you are born in a wrestling family you surely get some advantages over others because you receive proper guidance and direction for your carrier and every superstar i mention above have those advantges.
Brooke hogan adopted different proffesion, if she would have adopted wrestling as her proffesion who knows she could have become most recognised wwe diva of all time. She would have certainly got the advantages of being hogan s daughter, provided she works hard in the ring.

See this discussion is endless, You are a big HBK fan and im a Big Bret Hart fan. we both could argue day long over who is the better wrestler , but the simple fact is i will never deny hbk s great atheletic ability and wrestling skills but i like bret hart more . I respect your feeling for HBK and i think you should be willing to do the same for me.

You are basically giving HBK credit for the boos he got in canada. And i m clearly saying that it was not due to his supreme mic skills or disrespect to canada that earned him the great heel character, it was basically due to the fact that canadians were upset because he screwed bret. Had he not screwed Bret i dont think Hbk would have got the same response from the crowd. Even Vince got bigger booes than HBK

Obviously. You're arguing things I'm not denying, which is silly. What you're not debating, is that he increased those boos a lot, by how he acted. By how he worked that crowd.

On the first hand bret was the core reason behind the starting of attitude era. In 1996 when bret came from semi retirement he selected steve austin to work with him, because he recognised the potential of steve austin better than any one. Its a fact that steve austin made his name in the wwe by wrestling bret hart. No one can argue that. Even steve admitted that wrestlemania 13 match made his carrier. As far as attitude era was concerned, you must not forget the heel character of evil boss played by vince mcmahon which helped the whole era. Why that character was acceptable and booed by wwe fans .. simple reason , because he screwed bret. That screw job helped vince mcmahon to build his reputation as the evil boss ..Sorry.. Not helped it made vince mcmahon as an evil boss.

*Becca apologises to NorCal in advance, however cannot leave this any longer*
What I love about this, is that when it comes down to 'blame' for Montreal, Shawnis the one who gets it all. Yet when it gets praise almost, it comes down to McMahon?

Its simple .Its not a great gesture for bret hart fans if you put him equal to hbk

Which is showing so little respect it's unbelievable. This quote here is why I know what you say later on is crap. You say 'I respect your feelings towards HBK', when obviously you don't, because you're saying it's bad to put him next to the guy you're in love with. When it's actually completely fair, and the only people who will say any different are blind Hart fans and blind Shawn fans. A category you fit into well.

Come any time dear im ready for it.

There's a thread on the forums already. Feel free to post at any time.

sure i have watched those tapes atleast dozen of times. Let s get the fact straight. even today if any wrestler inside a wwe ring calls the name of bret hart we hear loud cheers.. Doesnt matter who the wrestler is , in the same way if HBK is going to call the name of Bret hart in canada he is sure to get booed for the simple fact we know. Its more canadian hatred towards shawn rather than his mic skills or heel character.

Canada hate him because they can't get over something that happened over 10 years ago. And why? It's not solely because of what happened. It's how Shawn acted afterwards. He generated all that hate. If you watch those tapes again you'll see exactly what I mean.

Depends on taste. If you are honest to wrestling u wont say it.

LOL, again with the disrespect of Shawn Michaels. Why?

Who has given the name Mr . wrestlemania to shawn.. No one but himself. He self proclaimed himself as Mr wrestlemania but the truth is if any one deserve the title of mr wrestlemania its going to be undertaker..Bret got the names from the fellow wrestlers, promoters or owners of the company. No one can deny that except you. I never said shawn is not a great performer , He is . But when you compare him to bret he is not that great thats my deep feeling.

Because you're such a huge Hart fan you can't even accept his rival is just as good. Which is the main reason I dislike Hart fans.

As for Mr. Wrestlemania - Undertaker may be unbeaten, but look at how many of those matches have been average at best. Then look at Shawns and tell me his have been worse.

Im not sure that Vince have any influence on HBK for not leaving the wwe. IT s basically that Eric never offered a contract to shawn micheals. We can see those points in Eric s interveiws in the past where he said if there was any wrestler besides bret he wanted in the wwe that would have been the undertaker.

Vince never asked Shawn to leave, or seek a cntract at WWE. Who did he tell to look at WCW though? Bret.

How the hell can anybody leave when he has no choice. Shawn was not the best thing in the wwe, his era just got started in 1996, but it finished as soon as bret hart made his comeback. We can see that in his famous "lost my smile" speech. When bret came back all the focus shifted on Bret and austin feud. America vs Canada storylines took centre stage in the wwe.

..What's your point? You can say Shawn wasn't the best thing in WWE. I can say Hart wasn't either.

Growing in the wrestling mean nothing.Its not even a joke. If you think that way then its really sad. If thats the case people like Rock, Ted dibiase jr, harry smith, randy orton, natalya neidhart, Eddie gurero, chavo , etc mean nothing to you because they are born in wrestling family. Hell even vince mcmahon growed in wrestling business. Its a simple fact if you are born in a wrestling family you surely get some advantages over others because you receive proper guidance and direction for your carrier and every superstar i mention above have those advantges.

Eddie is hugely overrated because he died. Call that insensitive, but it's true. Before his death he was thought of as an average wrestler. Now for some reason he's great. Your kist there, with the exception of Randy Orton, there is no one great there. You're acting as if everyone who grows up in the business is stupid. When in fact there are a hell of a lot more greats who didn't grow up in it.

Brooke hogan adopted different proffesion, if she would have adopted wrestling as her proffesion who knows she could have become most recognised wwe diva of all time. She would have certainly got the advantages of being hogan s daughter, provided she works hard in the ring.

Exactly. But most people can become a wrestler if they have that special something and work hard in the ring.

See this discussion is endless, You are a big HBK fan and im a Big Bret Hart fan. we both could argue day long over who is the better wrestler , but the simple fact is i will never deny hbk s great atheletic ability and wrestling skills but i like bret hart more . I respect your feeling for HBK and i think you should be willing to do the same for me.

I laughed out loud. There is no way, in any of my posts, you can find a single thing I say which is disrespectful to you or to Bret Hart. However, I could compile a list of how disrespectful you are. For a start, I don't understand how you can say I'm disrespectful when I'm arguing they're both greats. However, I can say you're diasrespectful because of your hate of Shawn, and how offended you get if I say he's as good as Hart.

Canada hate him because they can't get over something that happened over 10 years ago. And why? It's not solely because of what happened. It's how Shawn acted afterwards. He generated all that hate. If you watch those tapes again you'll see exactly what I mean.

I hope this doesnt get me banned since its about the screwjob but I figure since it was already brought up Id respond to it.

Anyway this is a feather in Bret's hat if you ask me. This shows just how loved and how popular Bret was. HBK might do some things to generate the heat but if the fans didnt care that much about Bret they wouldnt be chanting "you screwed Bret" every time HBK shows his face in Canada 11 years later. And its not just HBK they even do it to the freakin referee in the match. If the roles were reversed do you think people would still be chanting "you screwed Shawn" every time Bret(assuming he still wrestles), Vince, or Earl showed their face. I highly doubt it.

I live in Detroit and I went to Saturday Nights Main event two years ago, the one where HBK fought Shane in a street fight and Shane won via the sharpshooter. Anyway what Im getting at is when Vince re-acted the screwjob finish to HBK most of the crowd started yelling "You screwed Bret" and this was in America. In fact almost anytime the sharpshooter is used you start to hear some sorta Bret Hart chant. So I think we can all argue till were blue in the face about who was the better performer but I dont think there is any doubt who is more respected, popular, well liked and overall who has more fans WORLDWIDE. Bret wins that hands down despite not wrestling in 8 years.

I live in Detroit and I went to Saturday Nights Main event two years ago, the one where HBK fought Shane in a street fight and Shane won via the sharpshooter. Anyway what Im getting at is when Vince re-acted the screwjob finish to HBK most of the crowd started yelling "You screwed Bret" and this was in America. In fact almost anytime the sharpshooter is used you start to hear some sorta Bret Hart chant. So I think we can all argue till were blue in the face about who was the better performer but I dont think there is any doubt who is more respected, popular, well liked and overall who has more fans WORLDWIDE. Bret wins that hands down despite not wrestling in 8 years.

I'm not going to mention Montreal too much in this, more just a general statement of careers overall. For a start, the only people who don't solely blame Shawn are the ones, usually on the internet, who have researched the reasons for it happening. Most fans just saw Shawn win in the way he did, so obviously they're going to think he screwed Bret.

As for who's more respected, with how Shawn was 10 years ago, I doubt he ever will be respected to the extent Hart is. Shawn ruined that for himself, and no one can debate it. But as for popularity, and people cheering for him now, I think when a wrestler has been gone for a while, they will get a loud cheer. The same will happen 10 years after Shawn leaves the WWE. Same with Cena, The Undertaker, Orton etc. Most people like Hart, just like most people like Shawn. And he will get cheers. But Shawn also gets cheers every time he's mentioned as well.

Let’s break these two down a bit shall we? I would have to say that neither is better than the other technically in the ring for one reason. They have dramatically different styles and due to that fact you can’t really measure who is actually better. If both were high flyers, or both were strict mat wrestlers than you could say oh he’s much better because he does these moves better yada yada yada. Though Bret was known more for his technical ability and mat technique Shawn has never necessarily been lacking in that arena. Keep in mind that both of them were meant ot be the next generations stars as they were and Vince had them out in front to usher in an era of champions that weren’t all big guys like Hogan and Warrior, the era of giants was ending because of Hogan’s departure and Vince needed to answer that somehow and he did by changing the peoples image of a champion. He wanted to display a new kind of wrestler, ones smaller and faster, craftier in the ring, more normal sized and he did that with Shawn and Bret. Shawn was they more flashy, high flying of the two obviously, the type of guy with a lot of go go go and more spectacular moves, Bret was the guy who would just take you down to the mat break you down and beat you.

I think Shawn was the better talker and that him having his own interview/skit segment was a testament to that. The Heart Break Hotel was cool, and he ran that well. Shawn was known for being a loudmouth cocky arrogant character so naturally I think the oratory skills were greater. Bret was much like his wrestling style more deliberate and to the point.

Both guys made millions of dollars for the WWF/E and sold out arenas and signed a million autographs and so on and so on. I don’t want to take rating’s into affect because TV is a funny business and rating fluctuate all the time no matter what, ppv’s will sell or not based on so many different factors you can’t really point on just one and call it your reasoning. They both drew millions, put buts in seats, and sold merchandise, that is a statement that can’t be refuted. Who did more? That’s a question that is really more a matter of opinion that fact because truthfully none of us know we can only speculate based on our biased or unbiased opinions. As far as whether one helped more than the other they were both around in 96 95 and 97 when things weren’t at their greatest and therefore both contributed to the company’s highs and lows and contracted talent of the WWF/E and Stone Cold was apart of it as well so truth be told they were all in it together. The MNW’s took it’s toll on the company no matter who it rallied around, true Stone Cold is a big part of why they survived but I believe it is truly because of McMahon not Bret, Shawn, Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H, Mankind, Undertaker it is because of Vince.

Everything Bret did in the match led to the Sharpshooter, it was smart wrestling, plain and simple, in fact, it's what was called basic wrestling 101.

But it was just that, basic wrestling 101, Shawn Michaels higher flying more aerial style partially lucha libre was more dazzling so to speak. He was looked at as more of a showman than a technical wrestler.

So the Hitman never was good on the mic. I hear that argument all the time. For the most part, this only stands true with his early character development when he was admittedly shy on the microphone, but the Hitman grew.

This is true, and accurate. The Bret Hart DVD mentions this, and that it was kind of an issue at first just as Count Shockula said due to the fact he was kind of shy. Also as mention the Hitman did grow, and became pretty enthralling on the mic as he became more comfortable.

Bret Hart and the Heel Hart Foundation were the best thing the business had seen, and was the reason the WWF was getting good again. Bret Hart on the microphone in 1997 was God. He cut good, no, great promos that started a border war. HBK's best mic work revolves around dick and fart jokes.

Ok, you make some point’s here no one can argue but here it goes. While the Hart Foundation was a great thing, and it can be argued that HBK’s best stuff revolves around dick and fart jokes, one cannot really argue the success of the dick and fart jokes. DX has been around for a while now and even with just 2 members it’s a force to be reckoned with all the time. DX was without argument part of the reason WWE won the MNW’s as the rival faction to the N.W.O at the time. It would not be a great debate either to insinuate that DX is by far bigger than the Hart Foundation with all it’s prestige. I probably does come down to number and I am pretty sure DX has made ridiculous amounts of money for the WWE that the Hart Foundation still won’t for like….ever. Now this isn’t a DX love fest or something ok, credit goes where credit is due and the Hart Foundation was a good thing in it’s time but, over time, DX has prevailed as the greater of the two groups all reasons surrounding set aside, it just is.

It's really hard to truly put it into words, but there's a reason he's "The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be". Do you remember watching him come to the ring, and wishing you were that kid he put the glasses on? Did you ever play his them music, and walk into your living room, like you were "The Excellence of Execution"?

This is exactly why we are having this conversation, because he was that big. All of us born in about the 80’s maybe mid 80’s can probably remember what this guy describes above very clearly as he was like a hero to kids and legit fans alike. You never heard anyone come out like him and just say that ya know? He just comes out and says he’s “The Best There Is, The Best The Best There Was, And The Best There Ever Will Be”
That’s a damn good line, and one of the biggest in wrestling.

Shawn is made to look like the legend he is because of revisionist history, an example of this is DX vs The Hart Foundation, everyone talks about DX as the biggest faction in WWE but the Hart Foundation matched them every step of the way.

Agree and Disagree. I wont argue that there isn’t any merit to the point of Shawn being made to look like a legend because of revisionist history, some of that is true. But, No one can argue what he has accomplished in the company and his longevity which is a testament to his legend. He was making History while Bret was being Bret. Let’s not forget about the way Shawn helped take wrestling to another level. Need I mention his entire run with the I.C. and the matches he had then, or the Hell in a Cell, or the Elimination Chamber? Shawn has been apart of pushing the limits and standards for quite some time in that company, and that is just another testament to his argument as well. You just can’t really deny his match record, titles, defenses, ladder matches, hiac, iron man, I mean he’s just done it all. I am probably forgetting a thing or two as well. I am just saying that his resume is really really hard to beat and Bret Hart is on it more than once. Bret Hart had a legendary I.C. run as well and wrestled what I think was one of the best matches of all time with Mr. Perfect during that run, and was really passed the torch in many peoples eyes. If I remember correctly he was the PWI wrestler of the year two years in a row and possibly another after a tear or two, I want to say it was 92-93 or 93-94 but I could be mistaken. I know he was two years for sure and that’s a big accomplishment as well so of course there is still much to be said of Bret Hart’s resume as well.

So, HBK is better all-time because he's an active 42 year old wrestler, as opposed to a 51 year old retired worker who has suffered major concussions and a stroke?

Now that is exactly the thing I do not want to express. What happened to Bret Hart I feel was horrible, especially due to the fact that he never hurt anyone in his career and his is ended because someone messed up and ya know, almost took his head right off his shoulders!!! HBK has had to overcome quite a few health issues though as well and while not as sidelining as a stroke which will debilitate anyone, it has taken a lot of guts for Shawn Michaels to go as long as he has considering the amount of abuse he has put his body through in dozens of amazing matches.

“You're right about HBK and being in gimmick matches but Bret's done his fair share himself. I dont think its fair to Bret to hold it against him for not being in an Elimination Chamber or HIAC considering they werent even around when he wrestled(well HIAC was introduced like a month before he left). Bret after all was the person that actually suggested using the ladder match and performed the first ladder match for the WWF against HBK of course. Also Bret happened to participate in what alot people consider the greatest steel cage match in WWF history at Summerslam 94 against Owen Hart. He has also participated in countless no dqs, submission matches and I believe the first or one of the first four way matches in WWE(The one where he won his 4th world title). And as far as stealing the show at Wrestlemania many people consider his match with Austin at WM13 to be the greatest mania match of all time so he can steal the show too.”

The ladder match thing is true and yes a credit, it is his fault for not being in hiac, elimination chamber, and more legendary steel cage matches, because he left the WWE, that I believe is his fault. Shawn stuck around and did everything else, and Bret was never really known to do the kinds of things Shawn did like getting in high risk scenarios. The gimmick matches he performed most didn’t require him to do anything but business as usual in ring on the mat stuff, executed greatly, but nothing new or innovative nonetheless. I will though throw in that you can’t rule out Hart’s King of the Ring victories because that was a big deal when he did it as well, and his tag team championship runs early in his career, something Michaels never accomplished until much later.

Sid was in the Main Event scene as was Vader. Vader was good Sid was and is horrible.
Ultimate Warrior in 1996 was horribly booked and nobody cared a whole lot about him as he was there for only 6 months, The Rock was still the smiling Rocky Maivia that everyone hated, Steve Austin was the Ringmaster, Yoko was way past his prime, Chris Candido was "Skip" of the Body Donnas. The only decent angle going on was Undertaker/Foley.

It wasn't bad because Shawn was bad. Shawn was able to do the best he could with what he had. You simply can't blame ratings and numbers on one person because the rest of the company is horrible.
Meanwhile Bret didn't have WCW and the Monday Night Wars to deal with to take viewers and numbers away from his title run.

I think there is a lot of validity in that post. Someone said Shawn had this great great cast of support but it is true that the rock was still Maivia, Austin was the ringmaster, Chris Candido was skip, and yoko was tapped, razor was on the rise, triple h a mid carder, sid was horrible, Vader sucked ass in WCW and WWF, Warrior was there and no one gave a damn, it wasn’t the best of days there. Bret was sitting on top of Yoko in his prime, Lex Lugar, Hogan, Mach, Warrior, Mr. Perfect, Shawn Michaels, Razor, Diesel, the best Taker, British Bulldog, the list goes on and on, point being he had a way way better supporting cast for his reigns. It is also true that Bret did not have the Monday Night Wars to deal with like Shawn did, he left the company when it was weakening and jumped ship when times were tough for Vince and the whole company and if he was as big a commodity as many of the extremist fans have said than that should have been the final blow to the WWF but it wasn’t. It wasn’t because of the leadership of McMahon carried by on by Michaels and then Stone Cold, The Rock, and Triple H.

Shawn was champ right up against the WCW powerhouse days. Hogan had just turned heel and the nWo was the hottest angle in wrestling SINCE Hulk Hogan himself. Had Bret been champ in 1996 against the nWo, we might be having a totally different conversation.

This is another thing that you can’t overlook when talking about their legacy’s, Shawn was the champ when it was a real tough time to be the champ. Bret can’t say he battled that and won through it all. Due to the fact that he left as well we may never know if he would have been the guy to pull us through the MNW’s.

True but Bret had some obstacles of his own. Bret was essentially the first champion and "the man" in WWE after Hogan and eventually Savage left. So he had to deal with being champion after the two biggest stars in the WWF the past decade and the biggest name of all time left. Thats a lot of pressure and responsibility. All those fans that were there from the 80s wrestling boom suddenly didnt have Hogan or Savage to watch or root for in the WWE. Those two particularly Hogan are obviously a huge act to follow and Bret was the one that Vince and the WWE chose. It was basically Bret's responsibility to try and keep people from tuning out wrestling all together or tuning over to WCW. Although many viewers did tune out he did keep the company afloat while he was champion.

So while the product from WCW at the time of Bret's reign wasnt as good as what WCW put out during HBK's reign, I think the circumstances that Bret had to deal with were tougher. Cause Bret had to take over a company that lost its face and the overall face of wrestling and was put in the spot of taking over a whole new generation of wrestling. I mean think about it majority of the fans that watched wrestling at that time started watching because of Hogan and now he was gone. That is an unbelievably tough situation to try and keep people from tuning out when the guy and reason they started watching wrestling in the first place was gone “

That is a fair statement to make in a lot of ways, Hogan and Savage were a big loss to see out of action but Bret had already been groomed to take that role, just as Shawn was and so I think that there your really talking about the challenge any champion faces really in a lot of ways. Someone is always replacing someone who was bigger than them, Shawn Michaels had to prove he was better than Bret Hart, Bret Hart had to prove he was better than Hogan, Stone Cold had to prove he was better than both of them and so on and so on. Keep in mind also that while Hart had to take over after Hogan/Warrior/and Savage he also inherited a lot of those fans because it was make clear that he was the new guy which is only another testament to how big he was, but I think attributes to his high approval rating according to the die hard hart fans. WCW was around maybe but not a big force to be reckoned with yet, he still had a larger pool at the time.

Nope. The reason it went down was because fans grew tired of HBK and they left to go watch the nWo.

Square on the steroid enhanced shoulders of Shawn Michaels

Ok, here I see an accurate statement and a biased statement. I do believe it is true that fans eventually grew tired of HBK and left to go watch the N.W.O. because I was one of them, it just got old with him as champion just beating everyone it seemed no matter what which is something John Cena get’s heckled for today. Then however someone feels it is necessary to accuse Shawn of being a steroid user which is very questionable. Yeah everyone knows the story of him one time mysteriously testing positive for steroids but that could have been a simple mistake if he took any kind of supplement. I only say this because Bret Hart is an admitted steroid user and matter of fact I read it off of wrestle zone where Bret had said that steroids were a good thing and that he didn’t think he could have made it without them and how they improved his life ok. Not what I would expect to hear from him but he said it not me.

For me this boils down to professionalism. Chalk up all the wrestling in the ring, the promos, the mic work, all of it to mere attributes, what makes the difference is how professional they are to me. Shawn has been a true professional, he has always done what he was told when he needed to whether he liked it or not, he actually stuck with the company, and he has never taken his professional life personally the way Bret Hart has. Bret did screw Bret and it was because he didn’t want to do the professional right thing for the company and the business that made him. Bret was only looking out for his interests and could care less about the WWF/E as he was leaving it for more money. He made real personal attacks at Shawn during spots that were supposed simply progress storylines and instead turned them into personal squabbles on national TV. He went out and said a ton of things he really felt about Shawn and tried to debase him on TV all the time when it was just a show. I think Bret Hart read too much into his own press clippings and took things too personally. Rather than submit to his bosses wishes he decided he didn’t care about that and it wasn’t important to him so it had to be his way, instead of what was better for business, he forced what happened to him and it is for these mistakes and his lack of professionalism That I have to say that Shawn comes out the better of the two, Shawn has always known his place, and played his role no matter what it has been. He is able to match Bret on all fronts, and in fact has the winning record against him. I love Bret Hart, and there is only one Bret Hart. But there is still only one Shawn Michaels.

Bret was simply the best ever. No matter how many arguments people post here. The result seems inevitable and the voting results are showing this clearly. It would be nice to see WWE putting similar kind of poll on their website and we will definately see Bret hart emerging victorious in that one too, For the obvious reason that bret hart is more respected and has an huge fan base across the globe. By the way that happend in 2004 where wwe put a poll for deciding the greatest wwe champion ever , Millions of votes were voted by wwe fans across the globe and by the way bret won that too by beating legends like flair , hogan , rock , and offcourse HBK. What it tell should be understand by all because these legendary wwe fans know how to make correct verdict.

For me this boils down to professionalism. Chalk up all the wrestling in the ring, the promos, the mic work, all of it to mere attributes, what makes the difference is how professional they are to me. Shawn has been a true professional, he has always done what he was told when he needed to whether he liked it or not, he actually stuck with the company, and he has never taken his professional life personally the way Bret Hart has. Bret did screw Bret and it was because he didn’t want to do the professional right thing for the company and the business that made him. Bret was only looking out for his interests and could care less about the WWF/E as he was leaving it for more money. He made real personal attacks at Shawn during spots that were supposed simply progress storylines and instead turned them into personal squabbles on national TV. He went out and said a ton of things he really felt about Shawn and tried to debase him on TV all the time when it was just a show. I think Bret Hart read too much into his own press clippings and took things too personally. Rather than submit to his bosses wishes he decided he didn’t care about that and it wasn’t important to him so it had to be his way, instead of what was better for business, he forced what happened to him and it is for these mistakes and his lack of professionalism That I have to say that Shawn comes out the better of the two, Shawn has always known his place, and played his role no matter what it has been. He is able to match Bret on all fronts, and in fact has the winning record against him. I love Bret Hart, and there is only one Bret Hart. But there is still only one Shawn Michaels.

You made many great points but this one I really dont understand. Obviously I never worked with Shawn nor was I personally there to see what type of employee he was so this is all hear say. But from what I read and heard from various people Shawn was one of the least professional people in the business. He might have changed now but pre-98, non-klique members seem to have nothing but bad things to say about him. From what I heard he even told Bret to his face that he would never job to him despite Bret saying that he would to him. How professional is that? How professional is it to say "get the f*ck out of the ring" to your opponent after he just put you over in a hour and 5 minute match at Wrestlemania like Bret Hart did. Also you talk about Bret making personal attacks to Shawn what about HBK's "sunny days" comment. Whats more personal or disrespectful then going on the air and hinting to everybody that you are having an affair with another employee? You're not just talking about damaging a guys career but you're talking about damaging a guys personal life. He was married with kids and you are going to make an accusation like that infront of the whole world. And even in 2005 when he wrestled Hogan at Summerslam. When he was told he had to job to Hogan what did he do? He totally oversold(understatement of the year) everything to the point that he embarrassed not only himself but Hogan too, the guy that basically made pro wrestling. He came across as a whiny girl that was going to make a fool of his opponent because he didnt get his way. How is that professional?

So I think people could make a case for HBK but saying its because he is professional isnt one of them.

I tried to be as fair as possible and don't really have a bias. I tried to look at each mans talents, achievements, characters, and persona's. I will not say that you can argue Bret Hart's wrestling ability, because you can't. I won't even go as far as to say that you can question his mic skills, or storytelling ability in the ring. He has his own legacy, his own legend, and made his own choices. I think that the two as performers were pretty on par with each other, maybe it would be fairer to say what one lacked the other possessed. Bret Hart might have been the more popular champion of his time, he more than likely is the more skilled wrestler as well, you can give him all the acclaim and honor you can muster but in one big area he lacked miserably and it is my main reason to stick with Shawn and that is professionalism.

You don't make outbursts about personal feelings on television, you don't spit in your bosses face nor do you punch him in the face. How about loyalty? When times were tough he jumped ship at the call of a dollar. Shawn has always been loyal to Vince and the business he helped build. I think Bret took things too personally, and made bad decisions that ultimately cost him big time, and if he would have stayed loyal to Vince and stuck it out not only would he still be wrestling, but be a bigger star than he ever was.

He got pissed off because someone else was getting the push, someone else was getting the spotlight he thought he deserved and it was someone he didn't like for any good reason at all, just because he was a threat to his throne. Bret thought he was the best there is the best there was and the best there ever will be, what he forgot though was that the business doesn't revolve around one guy. Even if you are the best that doesn't make you the most worthy. He felt like Vince was giving Shawn so much and taking so much from him but let's really look at it.

Bret had his own faction that held almost all the gold, he had been the champion a few times, was made an international star, was given countless storylines and endless TV that others would have died for, to put him out there and keep him in the crowds view at all times. He just didn't like the way it was done. He didn't like being the heel after being the beloved champion. He looked at everyone else as below him and thought that because he was such a better wrestler than everyone else that they were beneath him and he was entitled to the Championship. Anyone who knows the business knows that is not the way of things.

Bret Hart thought that he was going to go somewhere else and be thier top guy, that's what he thought. Eric Bischoff told him he was going to be the champion and they would begin to build the company around him and so on. He left for no noble reason, it was money, and fame. He just wanted to be the top guy somewhere and when he thought WCW was going to let him be that, that's where he went and he could have cared less what happened to Vince, Shawn, or the whole company. But what happened, he went to WCW, floundered there, and got injured by a guy who shouldn't have been in the ring anyways resulting in his retirement and strokes brought on by complications of that injury. Obviously he thought the WWE was a sinking ship and that he was going to get his payday, and get his deserved championship and make the WWE look bad on another program. That is unprofessional, disloyal, and self righteous. What he displayed in the ring he tarnished outside of it and that was no ones fault but his own.

It is in this light and for these reasons that I say Shawn was the better of the two for taking everything thrown at him, taking the weight of the company during it's worst times, and doing the best he could night in and night out regardless of money or ratings or championships. Say what you will about Shawn Michaels but he has been Mr.Wrestlemania, and The Show Stopper, The Main Event, and has done it respectfully, and professionally. Who knows, maybe if Bret would have put the company before himself, put aside his ego, not been greedy for money and fame which he already had, maybe he would be the guy that people call Mr. Wrestlmania, maybe people would have come to call him The Main Event, who knows. All I can say of it all is that Bret hart was a great wrestler, arguably one of the best, but guess what? Shawn Michaels still is a good wrestler, arguably one of the best and he made the right choices, the right moves, and as a result he has come out over time as the better of the two.

Well I can't help it but agree with agentmichaelscarn here. If it is one thing that you can't mention in the same sentence as Shawn Michaels, it's "professionalism".

Sure, some of your arguments about Bret Hart are quite valid; he left WWE because Vince couldn't afford his contract anymore (or well, could not afford what Bret Hart, as the then-No-1 guy in the company demanded), and he did not want to do the job in Canada, which might be considered unprofessional indeed.

But what about Michaels? You say he "stuck with WWE" through the bad times... well, I'm not sure, but I'm not certain if WCW at that time wanted HBK at all. Hart, sure - Bischoff was going for all the big names in WWE. He signed away Hogan, he signed away Nash and Hall, he signed away Hart and so on and so forth. Maybe he did not want Michaels as he - at that time - was not considered such a big commodity as Hart was, in Bischoffs mind. About Hart's "outburst on televion" - oh please, Vince had in that very moment screwed Bret, and big time. Maybe he was justified, for reasons we all know. But he acted no less "unprofessional" in that as Hart did by not wanting to job to HBK in Canada. Both guys in that encounter wanted to do what was best for them; Hart wanted to be the "hero" in Canada, Vince wanted what was best for his business, which was NOT to have your reigning champion go to the competition the day after his last match, basically. Considering that WWE made Hart as big as he was, Bret probably was in the wrong - but neither man acted very professional; not he, not Vince, and not HBK either. But I really don't want to get into that, so let's leave it there.

But what about HBK's alleged "professionalism"? You base that solely on the fact he stuck with WWE when it is not even known if anyone else, at that time, even wanted him?! He was already notorious for his backstage reputation then, and I suppose he was not considered even near the draw that Hart was (at least in the face of the competition, which was WCW; and only WCW), so when you say he was "oh so loyal", I do think that at that point in time, he really did not have that many options. Maybe WCW would've signed him, maybe not. They probably would have. But apparently there was nowhere near such an offer that Hart had; if there had been, honestly, I would say HBK would have jumped ship too, as many many other guys would have done too.

However, what about the now-legendary "problem" of HBK "losing his smile"? Shouldn't he have lost the title fair and square to a legit "successor" as well, instead of just forfeiting the thing for no apparent reason whatsoever (which was the way the plan had been for Hart in the first place as well)? In how far does that make him seem any more professional than Hart? The only reason he did not throw a temper tantrum in the ring like Hart did was because HBK got his way back then, and Hart hadn't.

Fast-forward to the ominous Hogan match in 2005. Just like agentmichaelscarn pointed out - HBK ridiculously oversold every punch and halfhearted kick by Hogan (remember him litterally FLYING off the turnbuckle and bouncing down when Hogan kicked him in the corner?!), only to make Hogan look bad and make wrestling look more fake than ever; simply because he was pissed Hogan, with his creative clause, had decided to go over him? How professional is that?

And the list just goes on and on, with all those stories we've come to know about HBK through books and DVDs and internet reports and what not. So HBK may be a great, great wrestler; will be a legend and a Hall of Famer; he may be a tremendous entertainer - but to say he was that incredibly professional, especially in relation to Hart, is way off target.

Now I will not argue that Hart acted unprofessionally in that notorious incident; if it had not been for his whims, that thing would never have happened in the first place. But I for one won't hold it against him that he left for a big money contract with WCW when Vince couldn't afford his promised 20-year-whatever-contract anymore; much the same way I just can't hold it against The Rock that he left wrestling so damn early to pursue a movie career, which makes him tons more money for the same (or less) amount of work than he would have had in WWE. Is tha "illoyal"? Maybe it is - but at the end of the day, it is a "business", and no one but Vinnie Mac himself has turned it into a really "big money business". And once people get used to earning big paychecks, they will want to keep earning big paychecks. If I work for one company, and I get an offer for a better position, with better salary, at a different company - why in the blue hell should I not jump?! Perhaps you/we as fans might believe that wrestling for some reason is still such a "family business" type of thing... but since VKM turned WWE into a multi-million-dollar enterprise, I daresay those days of a carnival-like feeling of sticking together, of "being of the same crop" are long gone in my opinion. So was the way Hart wanted to go out right? No, I don't think so. Was he right to go? By all means yes, and there is no reason for me to put any blame on him for that decision to leave WWE. Was it good for him in the end? Absolutely not, but that was WCW's fault, and Goldberg's fault. A lot of bad luck played into that, and it turned out very unfortunate for both us fans and more so for Bret himself. A lot of people argue in that respect that it was "WWE who made Bret that big", which of course is true; but for every single one of those huge success stories; from Hogan over Austin to maybe Cena today, it is always a dance for two. VKM provided the platform; but it is always up to the boys themselves to make the best of the opportunity they are given; in turn resulting in prospering times for the company. Hogan pulled it off, and Austin pulled it off; and when it was Hart's time, he definitely pulled it off, and became WWE's biggest star, and one that was not to be a fluke due to some short-term push. And he also gave a lot to WWE, keeping it up when business was going down, much like HBK had to do later on when he was given the belt. So maybe Hart was not of such importance to WWE business-wise as Hogan had been in the eighties, or Austin in the late 90ies, when WWE had it's biggest business periods; but he did a great job for the time in between, when the product was becoming stale and the entire business was getting ready for a general overhaul. Still, the entire situation with him making bad decisions at the end of his WWE stint sure are not a good thing to add to his resume.

But in that same instant as I have to blame Bret for certain actions, I also have to blame Vinnie Mac and HBK for their reaction, which was no less unprofessional than what Bret demanded. If you want to argue with "turnabout's fair play", so be it; but it does not change the fact that VKM also resorted to unprofessional measures when there should and could have been a different way to work things out; especially since he later accepted HBK's lame "losing my smile"-farewell thing.

So, to conclude: As I have pointed out in my previous post, I like watching both HBK and Hart, I was and am a fan of both. Inside the ring, though, no one can hold a candle to Bret Hart. HBK has a different style, agreeed; but still, no one could make a move look so good as Hart could. Today, as HBK is growing older, of course he might not put so much effort in it as back in the day; but he doesn't exactly need to either. Even bad HBK matches would be quite good matches for anyone else. Could he do even better? Maybe. Does he have to do better? Not anymore. But still, even HBK's in-ring talents can't keep up with Hart's. That's why I pick him over HBK any day. And even if Hart acted unprofessional; so did HBK, and definitely on more than one occasion - and that is also commonly known meanwhile. So "professionalism", as an argument, for me just won't cut it. On the mic, HBK might have been a tick better. But not that far, as Hart was able to hold his ground there as well. So in the overall decision, I have to give the nod to Hart on any day.

He may have made mistakes, he may have run into some tough luck, he may have made bad decisions, he may have acted unprofessionally at that one point in his career; he may have become a bitter man (but considering some of his personal tragedies, that does not surprise me - only because he is a "superhero" inside the ring and on TV still does not change the fact that he is a fallable human being outside it at the end of the day, as we all are) but there are a lot more dark spots on HBK's vest than on Hart's, if you look at the entire picture and not only at that one incident (which also added nothing precisely "good" to HBK's and VKM's resume either), even in the "professionalism" department Hart still wins it over HBK for me personally, and big time.

Still, to stress that - I like HBK very much, I enjoy watching every of his matches even to this day; and at least for me, he still is entertaining. When both were in their prime, though, I am, was and ever will be a "Hitman-boy".

I tried to be as fair as possible and don't really have a bias. I tried to look at each mans talents, achievements, characters, and persona's. I will not say that you can argue Bret Hart's wrestling ability, because you can't. I won't even go as far as to say that you can question his mic skills, or storytelling ability in the ring. He has his own legacy, his own legend, and made his own choices. I think that the two as performers were pretty on par with each other, maybe it would be fairer to say what one lacked the other possessed. Bret Hart might have been the more popular champion of his time, he more than likely is the more skilled wrestler as well, you can give him all the acclaim and honor you can muster but in one big area he lacked miserably and it is my main reason to stick with Shawn and that is professionalism.

You don't make outbursts about personal feelings on television, you don't spit in your bosses face nor do you punch him in the face. How about loyalty? When times were tough he jumped ship at the call of a dollar. Shawn has always been loyal to Vince and the business he helped build. I think Bret took things too personally, and made bad decisions that ultimately cost him big time, and if he would have stayed loyal to Vince and stuck it out not only would he still be wrestling, but be a bigger star than he ever was.

He got pissed off because someone else was getting the push, someone else was getting the spotlight he thought he deserved and it was someone he didn't like for any good reason at all, just because he was a threat to his throne. Bret thought he was the best there is the best there was and the best there ever will be, what he forgot though was that the business doesn't revolve around one guy. Even if you are the best that doesn't make you the most worthy. He felt like Vince was giving Shawn so much and taking so much from him but let's really look at it.

Bret had his own faction that held almost all the gold, he had been the champion a few times, was made an international star, was given countless storylines and endless TV that others would have died for, to put him out there and keep him in the crowds view at all times. He just didn't like the way it was done. He didn't like being the heel after being the beloved champion. He looked at everyone else as below him and thought that because he was such a better wrestler than everyone else that they were beneath him and he was entitled to the Championship. Anyone who knows the business knows that is not the way of things.

Bret Hart thought that he was going to go somewhere else and be thier top guy, that's what he thought. Eric Bischoff told him he was going to be the champion and they would begin to build the company around him and so on. He left for no noble reason, it was money, and fame. He just wanted to be the top guy somewhere and when he thought WCW was going to let him be that, that's where he went and he could have cared less what happened to Vince, Shawn, or the whole company. But what happened, he went to WCW, floundered there, and got injured by a guy who shouldn't have been in the ring anyways resulting in his retirement and strokes brought on by complications of that injury. Obviously he thought the WWE was a sinking ship and that he was going to get his payday, and get his deserved championship and make the WWE look bad on another program. That is unprofessional, disloyal, and self righteous. What he displayed in the ring he tarnished outside of it and that was no ones fault but his own.

It is in this light and for these reasons that I say Shawn was the better of the two for taking everything thrown at him, taking the weight of the company during it's worst times, and doing the best he could night in and night out regardless of money or ratings or championships. Say what you will about Shawn Michaels but he has been Mr.Wrestlemania, and The Show Stopper, The Main Event, and has done it respectfully, and professionally. Who knows, maybe if Bret would have put the company before himself, put aside his ego, not been greedy for money and fame which he already had, maybe he would be the guy that people call Mr. Wrestlmania, maybe people would have come to call him The Main Event, who knows. All I can say of it all is that Bret hart was a great wrestler, arguably one of the best, but guess what? Shawn Michaels still is a good wrestler, arguably one of the best and he made the right choices, the right moves, and as a result he has come out over time as the better of the two.

Thats great that Shawn's been in the WWE for so long but that doesnt necessarily make him a better wrestler, hell Bob Holly has stuck with the WWE for 15 years but that doesnt make him any better.

*Disclaimer* What Im about to write is based off of what I saw in Wrestling with Shadows and Meltzer's report on the Screwjob. I havent gotten that far in Bret's book yet or read anybody else involved books either so I dont know if the information is different. Ok with that said Bret was very loyal to the WWE himself, it wasnt his idea to leave the company he was basically forced out. He turned down a 3 million dollar a year contract which I believed would have made it the richest contract ever outside of Hogan, instead he signed a 20 year contract with the WWE for far less money. How much more loyal can you get then to sign a 20 year contract? He even signed this contract AFTER Vince made him job to HBK at Wrestlemania, so it wasnt like he signed it while he was the champion and top dog. Then even when times were tough and Vince tried getting out of the contract Bret even agreed to get payments deferred to later in the contract once business picked up. But that wasnt good enough for Vince so ultimately Vince asked Bret if he could try and get his contract back with WCW so he reluctantly did. So in no way did Bret want to leave the WWE, it wasnt his idea too. Again like I said this is based off of Wrestling with Shadows so if there is other information that I dont know about you can correct me.

Also despite me being a huge Hart fan I would like to add that I do agree that Bret can take the business too seriously sometimes since he is so old school. Despite that besides "The Incident" that we all know about he has never refused to job or not put anybody over. He always did what he was asked, he also never took any significant time off do to injury, suspension etc. He was never late to a show or never missed a show, he showed up on time ready to wrestle whenever he was needed. That sounds about as professional as you can get.

You say he "stuck with WWE" through the bad times... well, I'm not sure, but I'm not certain if WCW at that time wanted HBK at all.

A very good point and a very good observation. Obviously at the time Bret was the guy to pick up and maybe they didn't want Shawn but we don't know for sure now do we? From my understanding at one point or another Bischoff did try to bring Shawn in though, not at the same time as Bret but he did and Shawn stayed. I will admit that it could be hearsay but I could have sworn I read it or hear it from a credible source before. At any rate Shawn could have went to them too? But he didn't. Loyalty is a big part of business, and has a lot to do with professionalism and that Shawn displayed without any debate.

About Hart's "outburst on television" - oh please, Vince had in that very moment screwed Bret, and big time. Maybe he was justified, for reasons we all know. But he acted no less "unprofessional" in that as Hart did by not wanting to job to HBK in Canada.

Regardless of what had just transpired that was neither the time nor place to take up his personal beefs with McMahon. Montreal was the same, he took it in front of the crowd, on TV, and into peoples living rooms where it had no place. That was one of the most unprofessional things I have ever seen to this day.

Considering that WWE made Hart as big as he was, Bret probably was in the wrong - but neither man acted very professional; not he, not Vince, and not HBK either.

I beg to differ on this matter. Bret was too busy worrying about Bret. He wanted to retain the title, and go on TV the next night while not under contract and just say "I don't want this anymore, I'm going elsewhere" which would have just made it look like their title was worthless, and go be the champion in WCW. That wasn't going to work and Vince had to make sure that Bret didn't show up on Nitro with his belt like Medusa did and can the thing. He had no way of knowing whether or not he would, especially since then he wouldn't contractually have to do anything according to Vince. As a business man you can't just wing it there ya know and say oh I'm sure he'll do the right thing. You have to protect your interests and Bret wasn't interested in that. He wanted to look like he was too big for WWF and was going to WCW now without ever loosing his title, that just doesn't work. Why did it work when HBK "lost his smile" because as someone else mentioned earlier he actually had an injury and was in need of rest and recuperation. Shawn had been going non stop, putting on main event matches for a long time straight and it was taking it's toll and he needed a break. Also, he wasn't jumping ship to the competition, Vince knew right where Shawn would be the whole time. At any rate, Bret refused to do anything that they tried to negotiate and as a result something has to be done. Unfortunately they had to do what they did because of his lack of professionalism. Shawn I feel, acted the most professional in that matter in just doing what he was told. He went out had an amazing match, and when the time came he played his role according to the bosses design. How much more professional can you get? He did something that no one else wanted to do, and it was a very unpopular decision that he had to make and live with, because of Bret's unwillingness to cooperate. And as for Vince, what else was he supposed to do? He'd been put up against a wall, left with no choices as Bret was trying to tell him what he was going to do in his own company, and took the blame for all of it so that no one put it on Shawn which they did anyways.

You base that solely on the fact he stuck with WWE when it is not even known if anyone else, at that time, even wanted him?! He was already notorious for his backstage reputation then

Yes true we aren't sure what else was out there for him but it is fair to say that WCW most definitely would have signed him. Keep in mind also that he was under contract the whole time with Vince, and that it is also a possibility that WCW couldn't get him without a breach of contract of his end which, would have led to legal issues between the two companies which was definitely not in the interests of WCW. What I wanted to address here was this backstage reputation your talking about. IF your talking about the klique backstage and so on having their way, well, they just took opportunity and used it. If they had pull it was because they brought fourth good ideas, and put themselves out there, no one can blame the others or Shawn for that. As far as anything else goes I have never heard anything negative about his backstage demeanor or anything else. He mentioned in his DVD that he and Vince disagreed sometimes and would have it out about certain issues but at the end of the day he always did what was asked of him.

Fast-forward to the ominous Hogan match in 2005. Just like agentmichaelscarn pointed out - HBK ridiculously oversold every punch and halfhearted kick by Hogan (remember him literally FLYING off the turnbuckle and bouncing down when Hogan kicked him in the corner?!), only to make Hogan look bad and make wrestling look more fake than ever; simply because he was pissed Hogan, with his creative clause, had decided to go over him? How professional is that?

There are two sides to that story too. Originally yes, Shawn was supposed to go over but Hogan absolutely refused. It wasn't going to any service or discredit to his character or persona to loose one night to Shawn Michaels but he just had to refuse because he does have that flew in his contract. What good was beating Shawn going to do him? Nothing. What good would it have done Shawn, Vince, the Business? A lot. That would have helped catapult Shawn into Icon/Legend status and put a little more legitimacy into his character but no, Hogan had to have his way or no way much like Bret in the Montreal incident. So, Vince was trying to push big time to get Hogan to just go with it and at one point was going to force the issue and guess what happened? Suddenly Hulk Hogan is on the phone telling Vince that an old knee injury is flaring up and he might not be able to do the match, and then suddenly when Vince backed down he was all fine and dandy again. It was messed up and just made the argument of older guys not wanting to step aside and put over the younger talent. As a result, Hogan got the match he asked for, and deserved. I don't think you can blame Shawn for that too much and he might have been told to do that too who knows? It might have been slightly unprofessional but drastically pales in comparison to some of Bret's finer moments.

I for one won't hold it against him that he left for a big money contract with WCW when Vince couldn't afford his promised 20-year-whatever-contract anymore; much the same way I just can't hold it against The Rock that he left wrestling so damn early to pursue a movie career, which makes him tons more money for the same (or less) amount of work than he would have had in WWE.

Bret was very loyal to the WWE himself, it wasnt his idea to leave the company he was basically forced out. He turned down a 3 million dollar a year contract which I believed would have made it the richest contract ever outside of Hogan, instead he signed a 20 year contract with the WWE for far less money. How much more loyal can you get then to sign a 20 year contract? He even signed this contract AFTER Vince made him job to HBK at Wrestlemania, so it wasnt like he signed it while he was the champion and top dog. Then even when times were tough and Vince tried getting out of the contract Bret even agreed to get payments deferred to later in the contract once business picked up. But that wasnt good enough for Vince so ultimately Vince asked Bret if he could try and get his contract back with WCW so he reluctantly did. So in no way did Bret want to leave the WWE, it wasnt his idea too. Again like I said this is based off of Wrestling with Shadows so if there is other information that I dont know about you can correct me.

Some of that is true some isn't. Wrestling with shadows is depicted one way and other accounts are depicted another. I will address some of that below.

Bret could have taken the deal with Vince and could have stuck it out and with the relationship he had with Vince he had to know that Vince would definitely take care of him no matter what and Vince did give him a really good contract, the money just wasn't there at the time. That is the same reason Hall and Nash went to WCW, they wanted more money. I understand very very well that it is a business and guys get used to big money but as I said you have to look at all that Vince did for Bret to make him a star and the history those guys had together. That is why it was all such a big deal, Bret back then was like they say he and John Cena are now, so it turned out bad for both guys. I thought that maybe he should have taken whatever Vince could give him and try to help Shawn and help the other guys there since he was such a professional and such a good person in general but, the money got to him. If he truly was their champion I think he should have stayed and helped get them out of the slump rather than go to the condemned WCW. Vince did try to get out of the contract since he didn't have the money then and he didn't go along with deferments because he wasn't gong to write a check he might not be able to cash later. If things would have went south he would have just ended up owing a bunch of money he didn't have so it wasn't that the deal wasn't good enough for Vince he was just smarter than to make promises he couldn't keep. Hell he was already in that boat as is he wasn't going to possibly make it worse. When he signed Bret to that 20 year deal things hadn't started to tank yet so at the time of the deal all was fine, but the unforeseeable future took it's toll.

I am not going to try and come off and say that Shawn was just a saint and an angel and gee willickers he never did nothing to nobody, but I am saying that He has been a professional, in and out of the ring and when it counted the most. When Vince needed him to be the workhorse and lead the company and work for less he did, and I think that's a great testament to his character. I don't consider the actions of he or Vince to be unprofessional in regards to the Montreal situation due to the circumstances he put in play. I compare them by their time in the WWF/E and looking at how well he entered it and how poorly he ended there I have to say that Shawn was the more professional of the two when it came down to the nitty gritty. The only reason this was an issue for me to bring up though was because of how much I have enjoyed both of them in their careers. It was the final straw for me to compare them as I think they are pretty equal in a lot of senses and coming down to that one last factor I had to go with Shawn.

Once again, good points made; however I still disagree on some points.

1) The Hogan/HBK match in 2005. Personally, I really don't think HBK going over Hogan would have done much for business. Orton going over Hogan in 2006 would have been INCREDIBLE, but HBK beating Hogan? Both men, at that point, were already legends, both were "icons". HBK didn't need to go over Hogan any more than Hogan needed to go over HBK. Of course, HBK is still an active wrestler, so that might be your point; but in terms of popularity, a win over Hogan would not have done that much anymore for HBK. And I believe that "knee injury" bit on Hogan's side actually happened in 2006, with his Orton-match upcoming, and not with HBK's "Icon vs Icon" challenge. I'm not certain on this, but this is how I recall it right now... might have to look this up though.

2) And I still don't like that "losing my smile" thing. Of course he was injured, of course he was hurting; but you can always have that one match to drop the belt and put someone over. Hart left for less honorable reasons, that is a given, and that I will not deny. But even though, stressing this "professionalism" side of HBK, he too could have gone out on a different note, if he was so much about being correct.

3) And the klique being opportunists; that of course is fine. But Bret being an opportunist for leaving WWE for a much bigger contract is not being an opportunist? Agreed, he should have done the job as was asked of him, no doubt. But the fact that he left when WWE could not afford what they had promised him (or in any case, not as much as WCW was promising him) is nothing but taking advantage of an opportunity; which inherently is not bad as you yourself pointed out when referring to the Klique, right? I simply cannot hold the "loyality" argument in such high regard. What if Austin had been "loyal" to WCW? We would never have had the Attitude era as we know it. If Hogan had been so "loyal" to Vince he would never have even contemplated going to WCW, we would never have had the nWo, and consequently the much-beloved Attitude era as we know it. Sure, loyalty is good - but I feel, people like Hogan or Hart have displayed enough of that even though they have not stuck around one company forever. But each of them did a lot for the company (that did a lot for them in return, no doubt), and did not exactly desert the company in times of need. For even though Hart left in a dire phase for WWE; he had been with them in the worst days, when WCW was kicking their butts big time. It was only when WWE was basically getting back on their feet with Austin, Rock, HBK and HHH and whoever else you want to name, that he left, when WWE did not need him as desperately anymore as say, 2 years earlier when he WAS their biggest star. WWE was getting ready to move on, and so was Hart. We all know Hart was not going to be the #1 guy of the approaching Attitude era that ensued, not by far; he was an "old school" guy, and WCW, at that time, was beginning to be more old school than WWE with their change in attitude coming. Add to that big money, and - supposedly, as I'm sure Hart thought - a more sensible spot for him (which we all know it did not turn out as, but nonetheless), and I still think his decision a fair one, and not in the least illoyal. Which is not denying that he should have gone out in a different way, without making the "Incident" necessary in the first place; that of course goes on his "unprofessionalism" list. But other than that, I can simply not hold anything in terms of "unprofessionalism" against him.

You say it was one of the most unprofessional things you ever saw. And rightly so. But what about the then-feuding Klique members embracing in the ring when a few of them left for other shores, completely breaking keyfabe (which then was still more sacrosanct than it is today)? That is not unprofessional?

Now while I agree that Hart's leave as champion, with even the slightest possibility of him appearing on WCW TV with WWE's belt, would have been ruinous for VKM and thus make his action understandible, I feel you over-rate his temper tantrum in relation to other acts of "unprofessionalism" that have been performed by other guys, including HBK. Now we will never know if Hart would have gone to WCW with WWE's belt - which I personally doubt, and thus feel VKM should have managed to find a way to bind Hart legally to forfeiting that belt and not taking it to WCW under what circumstances ever, so everyone could have been (as) happy (as possible); however, that action alone does not disqualify Hart in this contest for me as much as it does for you apparently; and while I agree he was in the wrong, I do not think his reaction was that much more out of place as other people's had been in other situations, where someone acted "unprofessionally". And that is the reason why I have to go with Bret, heh.

Q/tried to be as fair as possible and don't really have a bias. I tried to look at each mans talents, achievements, characters, and persona's. I will not say that you can argue Bret Hart's wrestling ability, because you can't. I won't even go as far as to say that you can question his mic skills, or storytelling ability in the ring. He has his own legacy, his own legend, and made his own choices. I think that the two as performers were pretty on par with each other, maybe it would be fairer to say what one lacked the other possessed. Bret Hart might have been the more popular champion of his time, he more than likely is the more skilled wrestler as well, you can give him all the acclaim and honor you can muster but in one big area he lacked miserably and it is my main reason to stick with Shawn and that is professionalism./Q

This thread is the most ridiculous thread I have ever seen in my life. Bret hart lacked professionalism, Well if anybody was ever a unprofessional guy then it was Shawn Michaels. Calling Bret hart unprofessional is like spiting in every true hart fan. That’s as low as you can get.

Q/ You don't make outbursts about personal feelings on television, you don't spit in your bosses face nor do you punch him in the face. How about loyalty? When times were tough he jumped ship at the call of a dollar. Shawn has always been loyal to Vince and the business he helped build. I think Bret took things too personally, and made bad decisions that ultimately cost him big time, and if he would have stayed loyal to Vince and stuck it out not only would he still be wrestling, but be a bigger star than he ever was. /Q

What the hell you are talking about. If you are screwing a guy out of his pride, integrity, his own existence in front of his family, friends and in his own home country what do you expect him to do. If I was Bret I would have given McMahon the beating of his life in front of the crowd . We all know wrestling is based on storylines and every wrestler has to play his character as told by the story makers and by the way Bret was doing that in Montréal. He was doing what he was asked to do by vince McMahon and that was a lead to finish the match via disqualification. Sure Bret hart refused to lose the title to Shawn . But it was due to Shawn s own fault. We all know till 1996 Bret held the wwf title 3 times and was basically held the company after Hogan left in 1993 while shawn never won the title until 1996. Bret agreed to do the job for HBK and admitted to do the job for Shawn at wm12 to establish him as the next big thing before he go to the semi retirement When the epic iron man match finished , bret wanted to shook HBK s hand but instead Shawn yelled at him and told him to get the fuck out of my ring. Is that Professionalism for you. Shawn is known for bashing Legendary Hart family in reality. Once he called Legendary stu hart as a dead man walking in the streets of Calgary. Is that professional towards a fellow wrestler s father. Michael’s Refused to do the job for bret at wrestlemania 13 after Bret did the job for him at wm12, instead he forfeited his title with a fake injury and gave an stupid lost my smile speech. Is that Professionalism. Shawn accused Bret of having an affair with a women in the same business. Is that professionalism. When bret said he has no problem in putting Shawn over Shawn responded by refusing to do a job for bret or any other wrestler in the territory. Is that professionalism. Hell even Shawn refused to drop the title against Austin at wm14. Is that Professionalism. After Montreal , he promised Bret he will drop the title next night on raw to show his disappointment over the whole screw job and instead he came out with making fun of bret hart with his midgets. Is that Professionalism. Recently when wwe went for a show in UK , during his entrance shawn saw a bret hart fan wearing bret s trademark sunglasses , He grabbed those sunglasses off the fans head , wore it and yelled I Screw Bret ,When the fan tried to get his sunglasses back he manhandled him and called security to throw the fan out of building and same happened . IS that Professionalism. I can give You a dozen more example which could prove that Shawn was a biggest asshole then , I don’t know what he is know. Bret never jumped ship , he was forced to leave the ship because Vince McMahon wanted him to. He was loved , respected and was honored to be the champion of a company that groomed in front of him. From Hogan era to Austin era he seen and felt it all.

Q/He got pissed off because someone else was getting the push, someone else was getting the spotlight he thought he deserved and it was someone he didn't like for any good reason at all, just because he was a threat to his throne. Bret thought he was the best there is the best there was and the best there ever will be, what he forgot though was that the business doesn't revolve around one guy. Even if you are the best that doesn't make you the most worthy. He felt like Vince was giving Shawn so much and taking so much from him but let's really look at it. Q/

Bret got the spotlight from his birth as he was born in a great wrestling family. Bret was getting spotlight in wwe lot before HBK ever thought of. He was in the lead role from late 1992 while HBK won his first title in early 1996.
If anybody who bret thought was the person to take his position then it was steve Austin not Shawn micheals. Bret hand picked the guy , worked with him and helped him earned what he became . Shawn was never a threat to bret s throne..Hell It was bret who put him over at wm12 .. It s disgusting to call shawn a threat to bret s throne. Infact Shawn really took a lot from bret and gave him nothing instead. He not only thought that he was the best there is, best ever was, best there ever will be but he he believed in it because he was that damn good.

Q/Bret had his own faction that held almost all the gold, he had been the champion a few times, was made an international star, was given countless storylines and endless TV that others would have died for, to put him out there and keep him in the crowds view at all times. He just didn't like the way it was done. He didn't like being the heel after being the beloved champion. He looked at everyone else as below him and thought that because he was such a better wrestler than everyone else that they were beneath him and he was entitled to the Championship. Anyone who knows the business knows that is not the way of things. /Q

He was given all those accomplishments because he worked hard for it and deserved it completely. Don’t see WWE giving anything to anybody who does nt deserves it unless you are HHH. He didn’tliked to be heel but he did it because it was in the best interest of the company and company wanted him to do so. And it worked as always. Don’t give your thoughts of Bret being an arrogant guy. It is like you been with Bret all day long during those times. You say “Anyone who knows the business knows that is not the way of things.” Bret knows business better than you, infact business runs in his blood itself, don’t forget that.

Q/Bret Hart thought that he was going to go somewhere else and be their top guy, that's what he thought. Eric Bischoff told him he was going to be the champion and they would begin to build the company around him and so on. He left for no noble reason, it was money, and fame. He just wanted to be the top guy somewhere and when he thought WCW was going to let him be that, that's where he went and he could have cared less what happened to Vince, Shawn, or the whole company. But what happened, he went to WCW, floundered there, and got injured by a guy who shouldn't have been in the ring anyways resulting in his retirement and strokes brought on by complications of that injury. Obviously he thought the WWE was a sinking ship and that he was going to get his payday, and get his deserved championship and make the WWE look bad on another program. That is unprofessional, disloyal, and self righteous. What he displayed in the ring he tarnished outside of it and that was no ones fault but his own./Q

You are making your expert comments like you were the person mediating between bret and bischoff. He was the top guy in wwe until 1997 , and he did nt needed to go anywhere else if it wasn’t for vince begging him for his financial conditions. I don’t see wcw offering a 3 million contract to just anybody. It was a ace move by bicshoff to take away the rival s company biggest star. You have missed no opportunity to disgrace and degrade bret hart s legacy by calling him disloyal and self righteous and you are calling yourself a fair guy. Disgusting. Sure bret got injured by a idiot who doesn’t know how to wrestle. Bret build his reputation by not injuring a single wrestler in his carrier what he got instead. Carrier ending concussion. He did a job for his fellow wrestler at wm12 and what he got instead , guy refusing to do the job and screwing him finally. Bret and his brother worked for a company almost for their whole part of life What they got instead. The company responded by taking life of his brother.

Q/ is in this light and for these reasons that I say Shawn was the better of the two for taking everything thrown at him, taking the weight of the company during it's worst times, and doing the best he could night in and night out regardless of money or ratings or championships. Say what you will about Shawn Michaels but he has been Mr.Wrestlemania, and The Show Stopper, The Main Event, and has done it respectfully, and professionally. Who knows, maybe if Bret would have put the company before himself, put aside his ego, not been greedy for money and fame which he already had, maybe he would be the guy that people call Mr. Wrestlmania, maybe people would have come to call him The Main Event, who knows. All I can say of it all is that Bret hart was a great wrestler, arguably one of the best, but guess what? Shawn Michaels still is a good wrestler, arguably one of the best and he made the right choices, the right moves, and as a result he has come out over time as the better of the two./Q
MR . Wrestlemania my ass…If you call shawn mr wrestlemania who was guy with whom his greatest match at wrestlemania come against. And by the way He is not Mr wrestlemania , UNDERTAKER IS. He cant match the legion of guys undertaker defeated at wrestlemania including HHH, Diesel, Big Show, Batista, Randy Orton, Sid, Kane, Jake Roberts, Edge, Giant gongalous, King kong bundy,.. NO list can get better than this. If we talk about the quality of matches then bret had more quality matches than shawn at wreslemania. Shawn never been showstopper he has been a show stealer. You Say He has done it professionally and respectfully yeah he lied, screwed, backstabbed , asskissed promoters, Professionally and respectfully. If any one who put company before itself it was bret hart. He agreed to be a jobber, sacrificed his image and became anti American, Agreed to leave a company when his boss wanted him to despite having an unconditional 20 years contract with creative control. Bret hart doesn’t need your certificate to prove that he was the best in the business , we all true hart fan know that already. Thanks to bret for making wrestling watch able and memorable for us.

@andy zones: Now even while I agree with you on the pro-Hart issue of this thread; I think you're a bit off concerning the Screwjob. Bret went indeed out to do what had been agreed on - the DQ finish or whatever, and VKM "screwed" him. But even I, as Hart supporter, have to admit that it had been Bret's own decisions and stubborness that made the whole thing necessary in Vince's mind in the first place. So to say that Bret went out there and did what he was told is only half the truth; for indeed he did, but he went out to do the thing he wanted and not the thing that Vince had initially planned, with HBK defeating him fair and square.

Anyway, I must also add to the discussion in general, that I fear we have come far from the topic. I believe originally, the Screwjob was not to be considered in this; we were asked to consider only the true "wrestling" side of things; I don't exactly know at what point the whole "professionalism" thing came into play, which then was ultimately centered around Montreal and nothing else with respect to Bret Hart, and presented cause enough alone for people to vote HBK over Hart in the comparison, for only that reason. Which I think is a bit off target, as we had initially expressly been asked to leave precisely that incident out of our considerations.

So, to get back to that base: I think I have stated my point that, with or without considering the "Incident", I still do pick Hart over HBK based on their wrestling and entertainment qualities for reasons stated much earlier in this tread; and if the SJ is left out of the picture entirely, the question is even a bit easier to answer for me. Still, both men are/were great entertainers and performers; my personal favorite remains Hart though.

I'd like to give a genuine thank you to DragonSlayer for being upstanding and civil, I agree with a lot of what you said and you made some good points as we both have. You remained respectful and have I and we made a good debate on the matter. On the other hand I have this Andy Zones guy attempting to berate me and make me look bad because he's so biased.

Guess what Andy, I could careless what you have to say to me. I gave my unbiased opinion because of such strong biases like yours. I tried to present both sides of the argument, and tell truths of the incidents surrounding the two performers. I had to point out the things that are credits to Shawn Michaels because of people like you who are so biased they wouldn't give him credit for anything he's done. The truth is, BOTH wrestlers are great, both have had great careers, and the reason this discussion is such a heated one is because of how good each one is. Your accounts of things you claim Shawn Michaels has done here or there have no support or merit. The only things that do, were undoubtedly done in the show, as a part of the show, and if your such a mark you can't discern between the two than you need a reality check. I had to bring up the things Bret has done to contrast what you and others claim Shawn has done to show that he is also at fault in many ways making them even in a lot of ways. If the argument wasn't so one sided I wouldn't have to even it out, but I did. Too bad, so sad. Don't try to flame me again either, it just makes you look bad, and frustrates me because I then have to make one of these ******ed speeches to clarify things for the likes of someone like you. Now I will show you how stupid you made yourself look by trying to argue in a heated rage.

Calling Bret hart unprofessional is like spiting in every true hart fan. That’s as low as you can get.

Yep, that's it alright. Let it be known to everyone that, that is exactly what I was doing. I gave good and bad marks to both guys but I just wanted to spit in the face of every Bret Hart fan. I guess that means I'd have to try and spit in my own face too, that might be difficult. I just wanted to take every cheap shot I could and try to make myself look like an ass, you got me!!(that's sarcasm for those who might not pick up on that right away)

What the hell you are talking about. If you are screwing a guy out of his pride, integrity, his own existence in front of his family, friends and in his own home country what do you expect him to do. If I was Bret I would have given McMahon the beating of his life in front of the crowd .

There you go again, showing what a mark you can be. No one was screwing anyone of their pride, integrity, existence, country, whatever else you can come up with. He was asked to do one thing, and refused. That was unreasonable and as a result Vince had to do what was best for his business and Shawn had very little to do with it, that's the funny thing. Vince told him what was going on and just not to say he knew anything about it, that's it. Other than that Shawn just wrestled the match, and did his job, that is professionalism. What Bret was expected to do was loose his title fair and square, and because of his grudge against Shawn for whatever reasons valid or not, and his own ego's sake he refused and if you think I am wrong look around, others agree. You go on making yourself look silly by stating that if you were Bret Hart you would have given Vince the beating of his life in front of the crowd. That just shows how ridiculous you are, and why Bret Hart is more of a professional than you ever would be. I will give him the credit that he waited to do that until later against his urges. you're just making yourself look bad.

We all know wrestling is based on storylines and every wrestler has to play his character as told by the story makers and by the way Bret was doing that in Montréal. He was doing what he was asked to do by vince McMahon and that was a lead to finish the match via disqualification

Which part was Bret doing as instructed according to storyline? Would you be referring to his spitting in Vince's face, writing WCW in the air, making a scene? was that all storyline? No, it was uncalled for regardless of what happened and only made him and the WWF look bad. One of the things I stated about what Bret was doing, also referred to storyline and him going outside of it in his in ring commentaries talking about his personal feelings towards Shawn when he was supposed to be talking about Anti-American stuff to draw heat, and hype thier rivalry. Next point.

Bret wanted to shook HBK s hand but instead Shawn yelled at him and told him to get the fuck out of my ring.

I actually covered this one earlier. That was Shawn's moment and should have had it his way which he did. Do I think it was a nice thing to tell him to get out the ring? no, I already said that. If Bret wanted to shake his hand he could have waited until backstage or something and let Shawn have his moment in the ring with his first world title. Like I said I already went over this, just a regurgitated statement on your part.

Sure Bret hart refused to lose the title to Shawn . But it was due to Shawn s own fault.

How was that??? For being the next up and comer??? for being a guy Bret didn't like??? oh ok,that makes sense, and since it's Bret Hart it doesn't matter, obviously he can do no wrong according to you.

Shawn is known for bashing Legendary Hart family in reality. Once he called Legendary stu hart as a dead man walking in the streets of Calgary. Is that professional towards a fellow wrestler s father. Michael’s Refused to do the job for bret at wrestlemania 13 after Bret did the job for him at wm12, instead he forfeited his title with a fake injury and gave an stupid lost my smile speech. Is that Professionalism. Shawn accused Bret of having an affair with a women in the same business.

First on talking about Stu Hart, I remember him doing that on the show in storyline, and that is completely different than the accusation you make. People always talk trash like that in the show and it is understood between the wrestlers that it is all done for the show and that those things are never reflections of their true feelings because they all respect each others families enough to be able to do that in the show. Looks like you read way too deep into the storylines, which shows you to be a real mark. The lost my smile thing was legit, Shawn was injured, and had little if anything to do with not wanting to drop his title to Bret, that is a fabrication by people like yourself who have some kind of grudge against Shawn Michaels for nothing, what proof is there that Shawn refused, where is it? Some story you once heard? That's what I thought. Oh yeah, the accusation of the affair was actually true as well, Bret was taking shots at Shawn and Shawn fired back by revealing some dirty secrets of Bret's. It was also admitted later that Bret had numerous infidelities on the road so I wouldn't be trying to paint him as some saint if I were you.

Shawn accused Bret of having an affair with a women in the same business. Is that professionalism. When bret said he has no problem in putting Shawn over Shawn responded by refusing to do a job for bret or any other wrestler in the territory.

Oh yeah I forgot, you were there when Shawn said all that, sorry I was wrong. How dare I question as reliable a source as you.(sarcasm once again)

Hell even Shawn refused to drop the title against Austin at wm14.

Once again you humble me with your unquestionable sources of information. Especially since Shawn did do just that as he had a back injury that he wrestled through the entire match with.

After Montreal , he promised Bret he will drop the title next night on raw to show his disappointment over the whole screw job and instead he came out with making fun of bret hart with his midgets.

Oh yeah you were there for that too, I should have known that, silly me. Even if he did after the show, what else was he supposed to do? Tell Bret then and there he knew about it when Vince already told him to just deny any knowledge of the incident? Yeah, that would have made it all better. As for the midgets, keep in mind that Shawn doesn't do what Shawn want's to do, he does as told. So if anyone is to blame for that it's the writers, or maybe Vince. There you go again making false accusations about things you haven't thought out, and frankly don't know about.

Recently when wwe went for a show in UK , during his entrance shawn saw a bret hart fan wearing bret s trademark sunglasses , He grabbed those sunglasses off the fans head , wore it and yelled I Screw Bret ,When the fan tried to get his sunglasses back he manhandled him and called security to throw the fan out of building and same happened .

Wow, I would hate to see your frequent flyer miles, cause you are all over the place. You must have free trips around the world built up by now because apparently you have been everywhere Shawn Michaels has for the last 13 years to document anything and everything he has ever done to make fun of Bret Hart or his fans. You must be a busy guy. All this sounds like a bunch of garbage. What proof do you have, how would you know any of this? Hearsay? Well, that's about as reliable as Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels booked for Wrestlmaina 25.

I can give You a dozen more example which could prove that Shawn was a biggest asshole then , I don’t know what he is know.

I bet you could, obviously you know about shit that no one else on the planet does. You must be talking to Miss Cleo on her psychic hot line. The only thing of truth you've said is that you don't know about Shawn Michaels. Since the rumored incidents you've stated he's been a workhorse for the WWE, headlined Wrestlmania, been a locker room leader, one of the most dependable guys in the company, put on amazing matches over and over again, and while Bret Hart has been retired due to reasons beyond him, Shawn was sidelined for four years, came back to win another title in the elimination chamber, had an amazing feud with Triple H, Chris Jericho, Batista, Retired Ric Flair, and is always a guy you can put in the title picture, and I am missing a lot of stuff, this is what I could think of of the top of my head. Overall he's cemented his status as arguably the greatest wrestler of all time, and that's from Ric Flairs mouth, and everyone else who doesn't carry some crazy bias.

Bret never jumped ship , he was forced to leave the ship because Vince McMahon wanted him to.

Wrong again. He could have stayed and took a pay cut just like Shawn, and he did offer to defer the payments but Vince couldn't do that in case the company folded. You'd have to be crazy to think that Vince actually wanted him to go, that's absurd.

Bret got the spotlight from his birth as he was born in a great wrestling family. Bret was getting spotlight in wwe lot before HBK ever thought of. He was in the lead role from late 1992 while HBK won his first title in early 1996.

How much more naive could you be? That is the exact reason why he was jealous, why he was pissed, and why he hated Shawn. He felt that he was so much better that no one else should have what he deemed as his spot. You make it like he was such a great guy to let anyone else be there when he had no choice. He was pissed about Shawn getting the focus he was well before he got the title because he saw what was coming, that being someone taking his place and he didn't like that.

If anybody who bret thought was the person to take his position then it was steve Austin not Shawn micheals.

Exactly my point, it was anybody but Shawn because he couldn't stand him so much. By the way, at the time when Shawn was set to go over him Steve Austin wasn't even up there yet, he was the Ringmaster so, so much for that argument.

Shawn was never a threat to bret s throne..Hell It was bret who put him over at wm12 .. It s disgusting to call shawn a threat to bret s throne

If that was true than Bret would never had had to put Shawn over at Wrestlmania. You seem to think that Bret had the ability to just decide who he would or would not win or lose to as a true mark would. That's not how it works. He saw Shawn getting all the hype all the attention, and furthermore fan support and didn't like it, again because of his utter dislike of Shawn for nothing more than that, jealousy. Like I said, he thought he was so much better that everyone should like him, should nice him, and that he should have stayed the champion.

He was given all those accomplishments because he worked hard for it and deserved it completely.

I never argued that, but others tried to act like he just got dumped on the whole time, including Bret himself. He was kept in the title picture and given his own faction. I pointed that out, and that he didn't like the fact that he had this faction, and they had gold but he didn't, and that he was so much better, had been the guy, and wasn't anymore suddenly to a guy that he thought was so far beneath him. Never did I state that he didn't earn anything he got. I simply pointed out that he got more than he gave credit to having.

You have missed no opportunity to disgrace and degrade bret hart s legacy by calling him disloyal and self righteous and you are calling yourself a fair guy. Disgusting.

You don't pay attention to detail much do you? I said that his actions were disloyal in some ways, as were his actions. Never did I just try to tear him down if anything I made the right point as obviously you see that it was or you wouldn't be pissed off if there was no truth to it. I was fair in every way. I argued both sides but had to argue more for Shawn because so much in his favor was overlooked. Had I not pointed out those things in Shawn's favor that would have been biased for Bret Hart.

The company responded by taking life of his brother.

I can't believe you even dared to say such a thing. This only shows your lack of information, complete bias, and how poorly thought out ever word you said was. How could you ever say such a thing. What happened to Owen was a tragedy and simply that. He and Vince had tested the stunt numerous times that day, it was a freak accident, that's all. You just make yourself look even stupider and even more of a thoughtless extremist with that comment.

MR . Wrestlemania my ass…If you call shawn mr wrestlemania who was guy with whom his greatest match at wrestlemania come against.

One of his greatest matches may have been with Bret Hart, but arguably his best match at Wrestlmania was with Chris Jericho at WM19, or even John Cena at 23. How about WM 14 with Stone Cold, or maybe WM 24 with Ric Flair, WM 11 with Diesel, WM 21 with Benoit and Triple H,WM22 with McMahon, or any of the other great matches he's had, tons of them. That's why he's called that. He's headlined almost every Wrestlmaina he's been in, or had a show stealing match, and been the main event, the showstopper, all of it every time he's stepped in the ring, so once again you look like an idiot.

Shawn never been showstopper he has been a show stealer.

Yet another testament to his greatness, thank you.

Bret hart doesn’t need your certificate to prove that he was the best in the business , we all true hart fan know that already.

I never said he did, we all know he was one of the best, and I am a true Hart fan. I just won't overlook the less desirable things he's done in blind fanboy style because I like him, just the same as I wouldn't for Shawn.
You Say He has done it professionally and respectfully yeah he lied, screwed, back stabbed , ass kissed promoters, Professionally and respectfully

He did what he had to do nothing more. Back stab, never, did his job, always. Ass kissed? No proof, if by ass kiss you mean be respectful to his bosses, his co workers, and do as told I guess so. The only thing we know he lied about had it's purpose and you know why. Here all you have done is slander Shawn Michaels without reason, and once again for the umteenth time make yourself look bad, stupid, like a mark, and an uninformed mark. please, don't ever, ever try me again. I am not one to flame, and I don't like even having to do what I just did but you asked for it. Now I will finish.

I guess for me I felt Bret took things too personally and let his ego get in the way too much and I think so highly of him it is a big let down to me hence the reason I have to choose HBK over him. He is someone I hold to high standards as he does himself and it felt to me like that all went out the window because he was unwilling to come to reasonable terms. As a wrestler few can rival him but I believe Shawn is one of the few easily. I think that Shawn's style is more spectacular to the viewer and his gimmick as HBK is part of it. Obviously with the loudmouth and flamboyance and flashy outfits he was meant to appeal to the crowd in a bigger way, he was just flashier, with a flashier style which in turn makes him the bigger showman if you can see my logic there. Shawn has had the longevity in his career despite career ending injuries, and performed at a level not even Bret Hart has over a long period of time. He has literally given his body to the sport, the fans, and his peers. I'm not saying Bret never did, but he hasn't been wrestling for years now. He's been recognized for his accomplishments and inducted into the Hall of Fame, he has received his accolades. Shawn get's a lot of unwarranted heat from people like Andy Zone, who fail to recognize anything Shawn has done or refuse. It is people like DragonSlayer though who are a credit to the Bret Hart fan base, who are willing to recognize both mens abilities accomplishment, and credits to their character as do I. We have our differences of opinions, and agree to disagree respectfully and have both made great points regarding both men and thier careers. That is what these forums are all about.

I'd like to give a genuine thank you to DragonSlayer for being upstanding and civil, I agree with a lot of what you said and you made some good points as we both have. You remained respectful and have I and we made a good debate on the matter. On the other hand I have this Andy Zones guy attempting to berate me and make me look bad because he's so biased.

First of all dude, I never tried to make anyone look bad, and if any individual who put it all on the line for defending shawn micheals false prestige it was you my dear. You say dragons layer and you made good points, I just agree with your opinion on dragon layer and got nothing to do with your stupid points.

Guess what Andy, I could careless what you have to say to me. I gave my unbiased opinion because of such strong biases like yours. I tried to present both sides of the argument, and tell truths of the incidents surrounding the two performers. I had to point out the things that are credits to Shawn Michaels because of people like you who are so biased they wouldn't give him credit for anything he's done. The truth is, BOTH wrestlers are great, both have had great careers, and the reason this discussion is such a heated one is because of how good each one is. Your accounts of things you claim Shawn Michaels has done here or there have no support or merit. The only things that do, were undoubtedly done in the show, as a part of the show, and if your such a mark you can't discern between the two than you need a reality check. I had to bring up the things Bret has done to contrast what you and others claim Shawn has done to show that he is also at fault in many ways making them even in a lot of ways. If the argument wasn't so one sided I wouldn't have to even it out, but I did. Too bad, so sad. Don't try to flame me again either, it just makes you look bad, and frustrates me because I then have to make one of these ******ed speeches to clarify things for the likes of someone like you. Now I will show you how stupid you made yourself look by trying to argue in a heated rage.

First of all what made you think that I care about your opinion as well. I don’t give an crocodile ass about your opinions. You trying to make Shawn Michaels a saint is an disgusting act. You say I never gave credit to Shawn for what he has done in the business is ridiculous. I have said at least many times on this thread that I have lot of respect for Shawn s athletic ability, probably he was the best ever as far as athletic individuals were concerned . I said many times I was the biggest fan of shawn in 1996, and loved it when he had his dream come true at wrestle mania. You just have to check my previous threads. This thread was made just to ask who was the better wrestler between these two. Thread starter clearly mentioned that Please don’t bring Montreal issue in this thread because it will led to a pointless discussion. But some idiots not only bought Montréal issue in it but also started discussing professionalism in it and everybody knows who that guy was. I only mentioned the truth and while doing that if I looked bad then I really don’t care. You say my arguments against Shawn Michaels has no merit. OK . May be guys like you should be paying attention to Hall of Famers like Jim Ross, undertaker , Mick Foley . Jim Ross has said many times off and on the record that shawn was a very difficult guy to work with in 90s. You say I am supporting Bret on the Montreal issue, Hell every single wrestler that was present on that fatal day in Montréal (Except shawn, HHH and clique ) supported Bret hart. IF guy like rock says in his book that Montreal screw job was not the way of doing things and Vince was wrong and should have avoided it then you should be paying attention to that.. If undertaker , mick foley felt that injustice was done towards Bret hart then you should know that.

Yep, that's it alright. Let it be known to everyone that, that is exactly what I was doing. I gave good and bad marks to both guys but I just wanted to spit in the face of every Bret Hart fan. I guess that means I'd have to try and spit in my own face too, that might be difficult. I just wanted to take every cheap shot I could and try to make myself look like an ass, you got me!!(that's sarcasm for those who might not pick up on that right away)

If you were true fan of bret hart, you should have never raised a finger towards his professional attitude. But you did and damn rightly spitted on your face.

There you go again, showing what a mark you can be. No one was screwing anyone of their pride, integrity, existence, country, whatever else you can come up with. He was asked to do one thing, and refused. That was unreasonable and as a result Vince had to do what was best for his business and Shawn had very little to do with it, that's the funny thing. Vince told him what was going on and just not to say he knew anything about it, that's it. Other than that Shawn just wrestled the match, and did his job, that is professionalism. What Bret was expected to do was loose his title fair and square, and because of his grudge against Shawn for whatever reasons valid or not, and his own ego's sake he refused and if you think I am wrong look around, others agree. You go on making yourself look silly by stating that if you were Bret Hart you would have given Vince the beating of his life in front of the crowd. That just shows how ridiculous you are, and why Bret Hart is more of a professional than you ever would be. I will give him the credit that he waited to do that until later against his urges. you're just making yourself look bad.

I will never let a guy go away that easily if he had screwed me after dedicating my 14 years towards his business. If that makes me look bad I m more than happy. I m extremely proud if you say Bret hart is more professional than me. I will always support his correct move and beating Vince McMahon was an correct move. Even Legendary wrestlers with the likes of Harley race, Terry funk, Bob Orton, Undertaker, Mick foley were proud of the way Bret hart behaved and punching McMahon . They all supported Bret s behavior on the whole issue. If you think you have better insights on wrestling than these guys then you may be right. If you think I am ridiculous because I cant let a guy roam freely after screwing me than yes I m ridiculous. All the wrestler on the roaster were deciding to boycott the raw next night . Can you tell me why. Because they knowed injustice was done towards a loyal worker and their were better ways of doing things. Now you should not be coming out with arguments in support of Shawn and Vince as to show that you know about this issue better than undertaker, Steve Austin , Foley , rock , and all the wrestlers on the roaster that day.

Which part was Bret doing as instructed according to storyline? Would you be referring to his spitting in Vince's face, writing WCW in the air, making a scene? was that all storyline? No, it was uncalled for regardless of what happened and only made him and the WWF look bad. One of the things I stated about what Bret was doing, also referred to storyline and him going outside of it in his in ring commentaries talking about his personal feelings towards Shawn when he was supposed to be talking about Anti-American stuff to draw heat, and hype thier rivalry. Next point.

Nope spitting to Vince McMahon was not scripted. It was an instant reaction from a guy who was just screwed in front of his family after devoting his life to a business where his whole family been working for years. We all know bret was playing an anti American role brilliantly and guys like steve Austin, Shawn, shamrock were playing the role of baby face American heroes. It was Bret s role to talk thrash about Shawn to add fuel in the fire as to make whole storyline more attractive. And boy he did it brilliantly.

I actually covered this one earlier. That was Shawn's moment and should have had it his way which he did. Do I think it was a nice thing to tell him to get out the ring? no, I already said that. If Bret wanted to shake his hand he could have waited until backstage or something and let Shawn have his moment in the ring with his first world title. Like I said I already went over this, just a regurgitated statement on your part.

Now you are really pissing me off. You know something that the most respected man is not the one who is the most richest but the one who is more humble. And shawn act was of an idiot. It wont have taken much if Shawn Michaels would have shook hands with Bret, Bret would have raised Shawn s hand in air and would have left the ring quietly. But no this ******** went so far and yelling at a guy who had just given him his greatest match ever till this date. We all know what a wonderful sight it was when Hogan and Rock shook hands after their epic encounter at wrestle mania. You are defending shawn on that issue also shows that you are not a fair guy.

How was that??? For being the next up and comer??? for being a guy Bret didn't like??? oh ok,that makes sense, and since it's Bret Hart it doesn't matter, obviously he can do no wrong according to you.

I never said I will tolerate if my hero will do something wrong , but being said that I will never let any one blame Bret for the things he has never done wrongly.

First on talking about Stu Hart, I remember him doing that on the show in storyline, and that is completely different than the accusation you make. People always talk trash like that in the show and it is understood between the wrestlers that it is all done for the show and that those things are never reflections of their true feelings because they all respect each others families enough to be able to do that in the show. Looks like you read way too deep into the storylines, which shows you to be a real mark. The lost my smile thing was legit, Shawn was injured, and had little if anything to do with not wanting to drop his title to Bret, that is a fabrication by people like yourself who have some kind of grudge against Shawn Michaels for nothing, what proof is there that Shawn refused, where is it? Some story you once heard? That's what I thought. Oh yeah, the accusation of the affair was actually true as well, Bret was taking shots at Shawn and Shawn fired back by revealing some dirty secrets of Bret's. It was also admitted later that Bret had numerous infidelities on the road so I wouldn't be trying to paint him as some saint if I were you.

I can understand if guys like jerry the king or bobby hennan having their say on hart family , as a matter of fact they did and it was pure entertainment but when shawn said it , it was not entertainment because he mean it actually and by the way it was never a part of storyline. It was a real life incident. Every wrestler has some infidelities on the road, some would admit it and some won t. Shawn himself in a dvd said that his injury was fake, if could search that part of dvd on the internet you would find it and every fan knows about that except you.

Oh yeah I forgot, you were there when Shawn said all that, sorry I was wrong. How dare I question as reliable a source as you.(sarcasm once again)

Neither were you.

Once again you humble me with your unquestionable sources of information. Especially since Shawn did do just that as he had a back injury that he wrestled through the entire match with.

I never questioned Shawn ability to put on great matches despite having injuries, but I also know that Shawn has lied for the fake injuries before. Offcourse you will be wanting proof.

Oh yeah you were there for that too, I should have known that, silly me. Even if he did after the show, what else was he supposed to do? Tell Bret then and there he knew about it when Vince already told him to just deny any knowledge of the incident? Yeah, that would have made it all better. As for the midgets, keep in mind that Shawn doesn't do what Shawn want's to do, he does as told. So if anyone is to blame for that it's the writers, or maybe Vince. There you go again making false accusations about things you haven't thought out, and frankly don't know about.

Shawn knew if he told the truth , he is supposed to get the beating of his life, and know you should not be coming with arguments that Shawn was an powerful guy who could also have beaten bret because you know it and every fan knows it , when it comes to real fight Shawn is supposed to take worse beating at the hands of Bret hart. As far midgets things I know Shawn was asked to do that thing, but if Bret was in his place he would not have done the same thing . That’s for sure. It also showed that Shawn s enjoyment of the stuff was for real.

Wow, I would hate to see your frequent flyer miles, cause you are all over the place. You must have free trips around the world built up by now because apparently you have been everywhere Shawn Michaels has for the last 13 years to document anything and everything he has ever done to make fun of Bret Hart or his fans. You must be a busy guy. All this sounds like a bunch of garbage. What proof do you have, how would you know any of this? Hearsay? Well, that's about as reliable as Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels booked for Wrestlmaina 25.

Dude, when this incident happened in UK, the show was being taped on live tv. So I was not required to be present there. It also shows Your lack of information and eagerness to defend Shawn even if he eats buffalo shit. I have been watching wrestling for 25 years. And there are not many shows that I missed when it comes to watching live television. I don’t know about you.

I bet you could, obviously you know about shit that no one else on the planet does. You must be talking to Miss Cleo on her psychic hot line. The only thing of truth you've said is that you don't know about Shawn Michaels. Since the rumored incidents you've stated he's been a workhorse for the WWE, headlined Wrest mania, been a locker room leader, one of the most dependable guys in the company, put on amazing matches over and over again, and while Bret Hart has been retired due to reasons beyond him, Shawn was sidelined for four years, came back to win another title in the elimination chamber, had an amazing feud with Triple H, Chris Jericho, Batista, Retired Ric Flair, and is always a guy you can put in the title picture, and I am missing a lot of stuff, this is what I could think of of the top of my head. Overall he's cemented his status as arguably the greatest wrestler of all time, and that's from Ric Flairs mouth, and everyone else who doesn't carry some crazy bias.

He was leader yes, not in the locker room but a fraction called clique who were holding talents back. When did I said that Shawn never headlined wrestle mania or did not have tremendous feuds with all these guys you mentioned. But the thing is Bret had more memorable matches and some outstanding feuds with the likes of owen hart, davey boy smith, steve Austin, jerry lawler, Mr perfect, etc.. I don’t give a damn what HHH, Ric flair, shawn micheals says about bret hart ..because each one of these guys are jealous of bret hart wrestling ability. Bret hart has said many times in his interview and his book that Shawn was a great wrestler and was probably the best athlete after Mr. perfect , but do you know what shawn micheals said about bret, he said bret was an good routine wrestler who put on same type of matches again and again, but never was a great wrestler. That’s shows the guy refusal to admitting talent of a man who has often praised him for his ability. I know you will be wanting proof… SO go and check shawn micheals book. You will find correct evidence. Once Shawn said Bret hart was only guy with whom he could wrestle 2 hour iron man match, few years later he called Bret an ordinary good routine wrestler. That’s double standard for you. You must be wanting evidence .. You should be checking HBK s interviews in 2002. You will sure find it.

Wrong again. He could have stayed and took a pay cut just like Shawn, and he did offer to defer the payments but Vince couldn't do that in case the company folded. You'd have to be crazy to think that Vince actually wanted him to go, that's absurd.

If you are working in an organization for 14 years and been in major role for most of the time and you find out suddenly that for future your requirements and status is not of that calibre which you deseve, what would you do. IF you get an offer of better paycheck and status by a new company .Would you be staying in the old company . Certainly not.

How much more naive could you be? That is the exact reason why he was jealous, why he was pissed, and why he hated Shawn. He felt that he was so much better that no one else should have what he deemed as his spot. You make it like he was such a great guy to let anyone else be there when he had no choice. He was pissed about Shawn getting the focus he was well before he got the title because he saw what was coming, that being someone taking his place and he didn't like that.

In all those years if there was any point of time when Shawn was getting focus, that was the period in early 1996 s and after wm 12, when bret hart left shawn certainly became a major star. But as soon as bret made his return in late 1996 s the focus again shifted on bret hart and steve Austin rivalry..And shawn fame of 8 months ended then. America VS Canada storyline took the centrestage and shawn role was cut short. No one even true shawn fan can deny that. You keep getting wrong arguments again and again.. That s showing your lack of knowledge about those times.

Exactly my point, it was anybody but Shawn because he couldn't stand him so much. By the way, at the time when Shawn was set to go over him Steve Austin wasn't even up there yet, he was the Ringmaster so, so much for that argument.

Yes Steve Austin was not the guy to be reckoned with when Shawn won his first title but he left an bigger impression on wwe fans than shawn during those times and thus got an opportunity to work with bret hart. After wrestlemania 13 , steve Austin was getting bigger cheers from the crowd than shawn micheals. And bret only made things better for him by playing heel character brilliantly.

If that was true than Bret would never had had to put Shawn over at Wrestlmania. You seem to think that Bret had the ability to just decide who he would or would not win or lose to as a true mark would. That's not how it works. He saw Shawn getting all the hype all the attention, and furthermore fan support and didn't like it, again because of his utter dislike of Shawn for nothing more than that, jealousy. Like I said, he thought he was so much better that everyone should like him, should nice him, and that he should have stayed the champion.

This shows how much jealous you are of bret. You don’t miss any opportunity go by for making shawn micheals an hero, which he was not and you are calling me a mark. Disgusting. I know better than you that bret is not the one to decide who he want s to work , win or loose against. When bret hart made his comeback, his matches were getting more cheers and attention of fans . come on man let s be fair. You cant ever compare bret s popularity with that of shawn because bret hart was more popular than shawn everywhere as for the simple reason that he was an better worker than shawn. Your arguments are completely baseless.

I never argued that, but others tried to act like he just got dumped on the whole time, including Bret himself. He was kept in the title picture and given his own faction. I pointed that out, and that he didn't like the fact that he had this faction, and they had gold but he didn't, and that he was so much better, had been the guy, and wasn't anymore suddenly to a guy that he thought was so far beneath him. Never did I state that he didn't earn anything he got. I simply pointed out that he got more than he gave credit to having.

Again an wrong and baseless argument. Like a true shawn fan. You are speaking for bret hart about what he liked and didn’t . I should know that bret hart could have made an telephone call to you and told you that he didn’t liked to be with the faction he has got, and its hurting him because he don’t have a single championship.
Bret hart has said in his book that his favourite part of being in the wrestling was the time when he was with the hart foundation group of owen , davey, pillman , and neidhart He enjoyed the Canada vs usa storyline more than any thing and being in the group that he had got. How further you will go to make some stupid and idiotic comments about bret hart.May be god doesn’t know it either.

You don't pay attention to detail much do you? I said that his actions were disloyal in some ways, as were his actions. Never did I just try to tear him down if anything I made the right point as obviously you see that it was or you wouldn't be pissed off if there was no truth to it. I was fair in every way. I argued both sides but had to argue more for Shawn because so much in his favor was overlooked. Had I not pointed out those things in Shawn's favor that would have been biased for Bret Hart.

Im pissed off because your whole thread is full of baseless and false arguments. Though I don’t like it but I have to take it because there are many more hart haters and bashers in this forum. Like you.

I can't believe you even dared to say such a thing. This only shows your lack of information, complete bias, and how poorly thought out ever word you said was. How could you ever say such a thing. What happened to Owen was a tragedy and simply that. He and Vince had tested the stunt numerous times that day, it was a freak accident, that's all. You just make yourself look even stupider and even more of a thoughtless extremist with that comment.

Tragedy .. My ass….owen said he doesn’t feel comfortable of doing that stunt but vince mccmahon continuesly urged and forced him to do that stunt which caused that whole incident. Vince knowed owen is afraid of heights but that idiot wanted to hear the cheers of the fans if owen could have done that move ok. It was responsibility of mcmahon to take care of every wrestler working under him and make every stunt wonderful but at the same time not dangerous.

One of his greatest matches may have been with Bret Hart, but arguably his best match at Wrestlmania was with Chris Jericho at WM19, or even John Cena at 23. How about WM 14 with Stone Cold, or maybe WM 24 with Ric Flair, WM 11 with Diesel, WM 21 with Benoit and Triple H,WM22 with McMahon, or any of the other great matches he's had, tons of them. That's why he's called that. He's headlined almost every Wrestlmaina he's been in, or had a show stealing match, and been the main event, the showstopper, all of it every time he's stepped in the ring, so once again you look like an idiot.

Not one of his greatest match was with bret hart but his “ The Greatest match was against BRET THE HIT MAN HART”. Even shawn admits that.All those matches may be great but some of them are considered one way traffic. Get the facts right.. Forget about headlining wrestlemania he was not in wrestlemania from wm14 to wm18 because of his injury.How many times he had headlined wrestlemania . I think you should go and get the facts correctly. Never been in main event in wm1,wm2,wm3,wm4,wm5,wm6,wm7,wm8,wm9,wm10,wm13,wm15,wm16,wm17, wm18,wm19,wm22,wm23,wm24. I hope you should be getting your facts correct know. Bret hart was one who never missed an wrestlemania until he got screwed .He participated in every wreslemania form WM 2 to WM 13.And as for the word idiot goes it seems more suitable to your personality than me as your asskissing of hbk seems monumental.

Yet another testament to his greatness, thank you.

No thank you.

I never said he did, we all know he was one of the best, and I am a true Hart fan. I just won't overlook the less desirable things he's done in blind fanboy style because I like him, just the same as I wouldn't for Shawn.

You never mean a word you say here.

He did what he had to do nothing more. Back stab, never, did his job, always. Ass kissed? No proof, if by ass kiss you mean be respectful to his bosses, his co workers, and do as told I guess so. The only thing we know he lied about had it's purpose and you know why. Here all you have done is slander Shawn Michaels without reason, and once again for the umteenth time make yourself look bad, stupid, like a mark, and an uninformed mark. please, don't ever, ever try me again. I am not one to flame, and I don't like even having to do what I just did but you asked for it. Now I will finish.

Come on dude , It again shows how much support you have for shawn micheals ass kissing promoters. you are the biggest mark on this thread. You bought the issue of professionalism in this thread. You were the one continuously bashing bret hart for montreal incident. Don’t you see this thread was to determine the best wrestler between these two. I never made myself look bad every one knows that. If you are questioning about professionalism you should be looking at the thread made by dragon layer and what he has got to say about professionalism attitude of shawn and bret . He has said all things correctly. Just have a look.

I guess for me I felt Bret took things too personally and let his ego get in the way too much and I think so highly of him it is a big let down to me hence the reason I have to choose HBK over him. He is someone I hold to high standards as he does himself and it felt to me like that all went out the window because he was unwilling to come to reasonable terms. As a wrestler few can rival him but I believe Shawn is one of the few easily. I think that Shawn's style is more spectacular to the viewer and his gimmick as HBK is part of it. Obviously with the loudmouth and flamboyance and flashy outfits he was meant to appeal to the crowd in a bigger way, he was just flashier, with a flashier style which in turn makes him the bigger showman if you can see my logic there. Shawn has had the longevity in his career despite career ending injuries, and performed at a level not even Bret Hart has over a long period of time. He has literally given his body to the sport, the fans, and his peers. I'm not saying Bret never did, but he hasn't been wrestling for years now. He's been recognized for his accomplishments and inducted into the Hall of Fame, he has received his accolades. Shawn get's a lot of unwarranted heat from people like Andy Zone, who fail to recognize anything Shawn has done or refuse. It is people like DragonSlayer though who are a credit to the Bret Hart fan base, who are willing to recognize both mens abilities accomplishment, and credits to their character as do I. We have our differences of opinions, and agree to disagree respectfully and have both made great points regarding both men and thier careers. That is what these forums are all about.

You are right bret hart took things bit seriously because he loved to be the champion of a company which gave him everything. Shawn sure has the longevity but not the quality that bret hart had. Shawn style was more spectacular to the viewers but bret hart style was more credible to the viewers. I will never fail to recognize to what shawn has achieved and he deserves every credit for that but if guys like you decide to bash bret hart and question his professionalism than im sorry I wont take it kindly. I may have made myself look bad but the thing is I wont let anyone make bret hart look bad. Not even you. I don’t need certificate of guys like game rage to prove my point because every true hart fan know that bret was more professional and a better wrestler than shawn could ever be.

You are right bret hart took things bit seriously because he loved to be the champion of a company which gave him everything. Shawn sure has the longevity but not the quality that bret hart had.

Shawn could do everything that Bret Hart could do. Everything.

Shawn style was more spectacular to the viewers but bret hart style was more credible to the viewers.

Explain to me please how a style is first of all 'credible', and second of all, what made Harts so, complared to Shawns?

I will never fail to recognize to what shawn has achieved and he deserves every credit for that

And yet still you disrespect Shawn constantly. I'm damn sure you say this just so others can't say you're bashing him, but still you are. You spend a whole post being negative, and saying how he's no where near as good as Bret, and then come out with something like this.

but if guys like you decide to bash bret hart and question his professionalism than im sorry I wont take it kindly.

Much the same as I won't with yoru bashing of Shawn.

I may have made myself look bad but the thing is I wont let anyone make bret hart look bad.

There are very few things that could ever make Bret look bad. Calm down.

Not even you. I don’t need certificate of guys like game rage to prove my point because every true hart fan know that bret was more professional and a better wrestler than shawn could ever be.

The bolded part made me laugh. If they're a huge Hart fan, of course they're going to say he's better. If you're a true Shawn fan, I could also say the same. However, if you're a wrestling fan, you won't be as biased as you are being, and instead would acceot both are great.

Shawn could do everything that Bret Hart could do. Everything.

Explain to me please how a style is first of all 'credible', and second of all, what made Harts so, complared to Shawns?

And yet still you disrespect Shawn constantly. I'm damn sure you say this just so others can't say you're bashing him, but still you are. You spend a whole post being negative, and saying how he's no where near as good as Bret, and then come out with something like this.

Much the same as I won't with yoru bashing of Shawn.

There are very few things that could ever make Bret look bad. Calm down.

The bolded part made me laugh. If they're a huge Hart fan, of course they're going to say he's better. If you're a true Shawn fan, I could also say the same. However, if you're a wrestling fan, you won't be as biased as you are being, and instead would acceot both are great.

No he couldnt. HBK could not execute one wrestling move better than Bret Hart. Maybe a flying elbow drop or something like that. There is no one better than Bret Hart at executing a wrestling move. Not anyone I have seen anyway. HBK couldnt hold a candle to Bret in that respect.

I find it funny HBK fans are saying Bret wasnt professional at times. Talk about kettle.black springs to mind. Was there ever a time in the 1990s that HBK was professional? how many times did HBK put anyone over? I honestly cant think of too many times from 1993 onwards other than the Cliq. HBK is still the insecure person he was in 1997. The whole thing with Hogan at Summerslam 2005 spoke volumes about how much he has matured. Which isnt a great deal (although Hogan is a prick).

Bret Hart put everyone who Vince asked him too. Luger, Yoko, Mr. Hughes, Backulund, Sid... the list goes on and on. Thats a pro. The only people that ever speak about Bret are the usual dumbasses like HBK, HHH, Flair, Hogan. Even other Cliq members like Nash and Hall speak good about Bret. The list is a mile long of all the people who dislike HBK.

No he couldnt. HBK could not execute one wrestling move better than Bret Hart. Maybe a flying elbow drop or something like that. There is no one better than Bret Hart at executing a wrestling move. Not anyone I have seen anyway. HBK couldnt hold a candle to Bret in that respect.

I find it funny HBK fans are saying Bret wasnt professional at times. Talk about kettle.black springs to mind. Was there ever a time in the 1990s that HBK was professional? how many times did HBK put anyone over? I honestly cant think of too many times from 1993 onwards other than the Cliq. HBK is still the insecure person he was in 1997. The whole thing with Hogan at Summerslam 2005 spoke volumes about how much he has matured. Which isnt a great deal (although Hogan is a prick).

Bret Hart put everyone who Vince asked him too. Luger, Yoko, Mr. Hughes, Backulund, Sid... the list goes on and on. Thats a pro. The only people that ever speak about Bret are the usual dumbasses like HBK, HHH, Flair, Hogan. Even other Cliq members like Nash and Hall speak good about Bret. The list is a mile long of all the people who dislike HBK.

I don't think she said that Shawn could do a move better than Bret she said he could do anything that Bret could, and that's true he could. That's not to say Shawn was a better wrestler than Bret but he could do any move Bret could do just as good.

Name one actual move that Shawn couldn't do just as good as Bret could. This thread shouldn't be about who was the better in ring preformer because as far as I'm concered they are eqauls in that regard.

As far as putting people over, looking back the only person I can think that Shawn didn't want to put over was Bret.

As far as being a better person..

Bret was leaving to go to WCW having never lost the WWF title. I'm not saying he was going to show up on Nitro with the belt because that's BS.

1. I doubt Bret would have done that
2. Vince or security clearly could have just had Bret give him the actual belt after Survivor Series
3. I don't think Bret was out of his contract until December.

The biggest problem would have been Bret showing up on Nitro talking about how he never lost the WWF title because nobody over there was good enough to beat him.

So while Bret may be on a high and mighty horse he was in the wrong too.

What makes Hart so much better than Shawn? I fail to see the huge difference you seem to be insinuating.

I agree with your opening statement. Hell I'm the biggest Shawn fan I've ever spoke to and even I won't try and say he was more professional than Hart. He wasn't, and trying to say he was is stupid. Hart had his moments, but Shawn did some damage to his career in the earlier years people will never forgive him for.

And your statement of Hogan being a prick is one I agree with, and which answers a lot.

LOL this is what pisses me off the most about Hart fans. The fact that when talking about him, they have to be nothing but disrespectful about Shawn, and bash him. I've said it so may times I'm sick of it. Stop bashing him because of Bret and just watch. You're missing out. There are a long line of people that dislike most wrestlers. But a hell of a lot more that like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back