The [Official] Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 Thread

yeah there were some weird glitches in last years game I remember when announcers would yell "STONE CLOD STUNNER!!!" and my favorite one was when I was wrestling with Edge the announcers would be calling a Batista match and not an Edge match. overall it was a good game though and Im hoping for 08 to be alot better with no glitches like the others

My personal favorite was when I was doing a Benoit vs Khali match... King randomly yells look JR puppies... I was like Khali???? lol it was funny, but anyways I'm kind of let down that they STILL have done nothing new for commentary... it's been the same since 06 i believe

yea, the commentary pisses me off, like in one of my matches on 07, i was at taboo tuesday, and they were talking about Thursday Night Smackdown, didnt that end like in 2005? i hope that the custom soundtrack music is back from WM21, i loved that, and i hope 24/7 mode isnt a dud...

The ratings are in(From IGN):

PS2= 6.8

PS3= 7.5

XBOX360= 7.8

Wow, it fell below the usual 8.0-8.5 that the previous WWE games usually got. I had a feeling the game was not going to be that impressive, everything we wanted to be changed remained the same(AI, Commentary, Collision Detection, CAW, GLITCHES!). I have read the IGN review and there seems to be a big glitch in the 24/7 mode where there is no option to heal your superstar even though the doctor says you should take a certain amount of weeks off to rest. You will end up wrestling a lot of matches starting off with an already damaged body, legs, etc. that will put you in an immediate disadvantage. The only reason to get this game now is if you want an updated version that is similar to the WWE programming today(updated RAW look, ECW title, Brand changes, etc.). Looks like SvR 2006 will remain on top for another year.

Well that's certainly a shame. I can't figure out why THQ just seems to drop the ball with this series every year now. I looke back at Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain, or Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth, and how amazing those games were. It's just been such a let down these last few years... I'll probably rent it now before I buy it a precaution so I don't waste another 50$ on a 1/2 finished game...

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/829/829056p1.html

Tournament mode looks awesome. I've wanted that to return for years. It saves me trying to make up my own now. All I need now is the return of Hardcore Time Limit and I'll be happy.

I think the HOF bit is just a challenge mode. Can't say I'm bothered about that. There usually more frustrating than anything. There usually really hard and just add losses to my record which pisses me off.
It's only for PS3 or also for 360? Because if it is also for 360 I will buy that game

I don't care how bad this game is. I read someplace that this game "Is alot of fun, it's just the same fun you've been having for years now." I lost my copy of 07, so I'm buying 08 the day it comes out. As long as i can build a decent charecter for myself, I'll be happy. The biggest thing that pissed me off is that you couldn't put any pictures on your waist. I wear the Shorter tights (like Shelton, carlito, DH smith, etc) And I can never put anything on them cause of the cut off line. So as long as everything but that stays the same, this game will be a step up. And the downloadable roster looks fun as well.

The game isn't going to be worse than last years. If anything it'll be pretty much the same. Which is fine by me. I buy it each year anyway. The gameplay is good so there's no need to improve just for the sake of it. I don't create wrestlers so improvements in that area are wortless to me.

A bigger roster would be cool, but the main stars are there so it's no big deal. I just wish they had a stats section. Time played, quickest match, longest match, number of title defences etc. I know they have that already but I'd just like a bit more detail.

The ratings are in(From IGN):

PS2= 6.8

PS3= 7.5

XBOX360= 7.8

Wow, it fell below the usual 8.0-8.5 that the previous WWE games usually got. I had a feeling the game was not going to be that impressive, everything we wanted to be changed remained the same(AI, Commentary, Collision Detection, CAW, GLITCHES!). I have read the IGN review and there seems to be a big glitch in the 24/7 mode where there is no option to heal your superstar even though the doctor says you should take a certain amount of weeks off to rest. You will end up wrestling a lot of matches starting off with an already damaged body, legs, etc. that will put you in an immediate disadvantage. The only reason to get this game now is if you want an updated version that is similar to the WWE programming today(updated RAW look, ECW title, Brand changes, etc.). Looks like SvR 2006 will remain on top for another year.

I saw these scores on Ign right after you posted this. I beleive the Xbox only got a better score than PS3 because of the custom soundtrack, otherwise it is exactly the same.

The flaw where you cannot rest your superstar apparently leaves Season mode broken, which will keep me from buying this game.

My mate and I went out early this morning to pick up copies of the game. PS3 for me and PS2 for him. We then went round his and played on the PS2 version. What a pile of shit.

If there going to use the same models from last year for certain wrestlers (Taker, Henry, Matt Hardy etc) then why don't they keep the likes of Boogeyman, Viscera, Daivari, Holly etc? It would add depth to what is a shit roster.

The graphics are average. I had it on PS2 last year. And I think the graphics have got worse. I didn't think for a second they would improve them on PS2 but I didn't think they'd make them worse. Maybe this is to make the PS3 & Xbox look better, I don't know.

Not creat a PPV mode. That is the only think that makes me go back to the game throughout the year. I do each PPV the day after thetake place.

No stat building. Pointless I know, But I enjoy looking at them.

The season takes forever. And it's terrible. It's just repeat after repeat.

What's happened to Hogan? Not important, just curious. Glad to see McMahons in there though. But come on, only alt attires for Vince, HBK & HHH? Pathetic. At least they aren't suits.

Tornament mode is crap. I only glanced at it, but it looks like you can't make your own matches.

Now this si just my initial impression of the PS2 version. I'll give the PS3 a go but I doubt I'll still be playing this in a month or so. First impression is that it's total shit. No improvements and they've taken out some stuff from last year.

Ah that sucks. I just picked it up this morning as well, but I have yet to play it. Me and a buddy of mine get all the games the day they come out, and neither of us get to play it untill the other is there. We always start with a match against each other, and ever since the first Smackdown VS RAW, I've won them all. Now I could shoot the guy for not waking up, but I'll wait it out.

I got it today for Xbox. Its cool to be Jeff Hardy on the game, and they have added more moves which is pretty cool. Im a lil curious about the 24/7 mode, I just started it as Orton, and basicly you need to do all these gay events and stuff, and if you get injured your screwed. Also its kinda gay to hear that the commontators say the same shit they said on the last game, except JBL has taken Tazz's place.

does anyone know how to set tables on fire in the ps3 version as i have no idea? The game gets a 7/10 from me

Just spent the last 3 hours playing one match. The fucking Money In The Bank HOF Challenge. I just couldn't get an oppertunity to climb the ladder. All the other wrestlers kept spinning ladders round there head and none of them would actually go for the title. It really pissed me off. I wanted to stop but I wasn't prepared to quit something I'd been playing for hours.

Only problem was that when I had finished I didn't unlock whatever I was supposed to win in the HOF section. I'd not read the description right. I'd used Khali, when instead I had to use either Punk, Orton or Booker. Pissed off.

Ouch! Ladder and MITB match's are always the hardest to do.

Im pretty dissapointed with 24/7 mode. The backstage shit they do is repeated over and over. Your either in the locker room with 3 divas, clapping hands backstage with Carlito and others, Coachman is speaking to you then he follows Vince or your lifting 2 dumbels in the lockeroom. Quite poor I must say.

I really don't like this game so far. When 2007 came out, they changed some of the controls, and I didn't like it. But at least I could get them back in the change movesets menu. Not anymore. I'm constantly hitting the wrong buttons and losing all my matchs cause of it. I just lost to a complete noob. I really don't like the new stat building thing for the custom charecters, and I wish they would have redone the Custom Charecters for the better. Other than the updated roster, this game is SHYT.

I really can't seem to find a very good review for this game anywhere. For any console as well... From what I can tell not much has changed from 07 and the new features like 24/7 mode are ridiculously repetative. For this reason I'm going to rent the game. I don't feel like cashing 50$ for a mediocre game. I'll have to rent it soon, then I'll give my opinion on the game, I must say though that I was saddened about the bad reviews... The game had so much potential... Oh well I'll have to see for myself I guess.

I liked 07 quite abit more than the others and would have preffered them to change from then but even if they dont I will probably still buy it. The only major thing they needed to change was the annoncing glitches and Im assuming they will fix those. I really liked the new controls from the last game so Im hopin those stay the same and Im looking forward to a good new game and probably waiting until it goes down to 40 dollars before I actually buy it

One thing I like about this game alot of people will disagree with me. The storymode is extremely repetative. EVERY time you have a show, right before the match, your seen backstage doing on of 4 scenes. Shaking hands with others, Blowing off others, walking in the divas room, or lifting weights. Or talking to your GM while McMahon is in the background. Forgot that one.

Also, when your matchs are over, it's almost always one of a few different endings. And when it comes to storys and commentary on the story, they won't say anyone names. Overall, that sucks.

However, the overall idea of 24/7 mode I actually like. You control yourself, choose what you want to do on your days off, weather it's train your in ring or out of ring skills, or even do a promotion, like a comercial, Movie, or a charety. and when you do a show, there are actually other matchs happening. You can interfere on the other shows if you please. This makes things worth it.

Overall, it's repetive in watching, but the feeling you get of trying to reach the Hall of Fame is quite fun, at least for me right now. And the storys change, just not the motions before and aftr the matchs. Overall, I'm still working on the game, so I won't rate it yet. I will say though that I still like 07 better, but I like to keep up with the new generations.

What I'm really interested in is a couple of things, and if anyone has the 360 version, I'll be waiting on your review of this.

1. How is the create a wrestler, especially concerning the imported music. I'm really digging the idea of having custom theme music, because that opens the realm of possibility up insanely. If anyone has created anyone, is it a crappy 30 second loop, or is the whole damn song. Also, along these lines, I'm guessing the custom soundtrack is incorporated into the game as well, so I can listen to good music instead of the game track?

2. How many create a wrestlers are allowed in this game. I think it's stupid to put a cap on it myself. I have gigs and gigs of space on my 360, I should be able to make as many damn wreslters I want.

So, how is the custom music, and how many create a wrestlers can I have. I'm thinking of buying the game, but if it ends up being like the others, I'm skipping.

What I'm really interested in is a couple of things, and if anyone has the 360 version, I'll be waiting on your review of this.

1. How is the create a wrestler, especially concerning the imported music. I'm really digging the idea of having custom theme music, because that opens the realm of possibility up insanely. If anyone has created anyone, is it a crappy 30 second loop, or is the whole damn song. Also, along these lines, I'm guessing the custom soundtrack is incorporated into the game as well, so I can listen to good music instead of the game track?

2. How many create a wrestlers are allowed in this game. I think it's stupid to put a cap on it myself. I have gigs and gigs of space on my 360, I should be able to make as many damn wreslters I want.

So, how is the custom music, and how many create a wrestlers can I have. I'm thinking of buying the game, but if it ends up being like the others, I'm skipping.

I have it for the PS2, so I can't answer all of those questions. I personally think it got worse though. Like the changes from 06 to 07, there were hardly any. One big piss off now is that when you add an article of clothing, it automatically goes on all three attires (Match, Ring, and Backstage). However, if you want it to not be on all three, you have to go and delete it from the one you don't want it, and keep it where you do. It makes things a mess, and it gets confusing fast. There are barely any new features to it other than that. And as far as Music goes, the songs in the game suck. NONE of them could be used for decent theme music. I had to resort to using the RAW theme. I like the game, I won't lie, but it's got flaws. If they wanna make the next game good, clean off the table and start from scratch. Even if it sucks, it'll be new.

One thing I like about this game alot of people will disagree with me. The storymode is extremely repetative. EVERY time you have a show, right before the match, your seen backstage doing on of 4 scenes. Shaking hands with others, Blowing off others, walking in the divas room, or lifting weights. Or talking to your GM while McMahon is in the background. Forgot that one.
Yeah, the same is happening for me in 24/7... Kinda strange...

Also, HHH asked if I wanted to Join RAW and I said YES, after summerslam.
Then they said I just have to sign the contract... Then the board of directors decided I am staying on Smackdown... Kinda weird.

Also, where is the Boogyman???

Then they said I just have to sign the contract... Then the board of directors decided I am staying on Smackdown... Kinda weird.

I just barely finished that storyline. And I also just had a match with CM Punk and I noticed somthing. He does NOT have his Pepsi logo on his sholder... Very odd...

EDIT: I'd also like to add, that dispite all the ranting I've done, I'm starting to warm up to this game. Simply because my biggest complaint was the fact that the controls were changed again. BTW, does anyone know how to change the Superstar your looking at in match?

QUOTE]

Same thing happend to me after the royal rumble they asked me if i want to give up my world heavyweight championship i said no, but after i looked at the magazine bit in the locker room and it said i gave my world title up?

I picked up the game for PSP so I could play it at school and what not. I'm barley ever home so there was no point in getting it for PS2. Anyway... Overall so far I don't mind the game. Certainly not one of my favs, but it's ok. I like the idea behind 24/7 mode, and I think they should keep it and work with it for next years game. I have run into a few problems. In create a character for PSP you have a max. of 16 layers, that's not so much a problem as the logos all come out looking like a blotch. On my character i have an Edge graphic on the front of him, which just looks like a red stain now. During a singles match, I had a manager I noticed something. In the PSP game circle is grapple... Circle also happens to be the button you press for you manager to either grab a weapon or distract the ref. Makes a lot of sense huh? I do like the fact the PSP has Eddie in it, I thought that was a very nice touch. Overall if your trying to decide which SVR 08 to get, I do not suggest getting the PSP version, unless your like me and is always on the road and would like to have it on the go. If I ever get around to picking up a Xbox360 I'll pick it up for that cause I hear it is much better on that then PSP, PS2, and even PS3

I'd say it was pretty much the same as 2007, but the controls are slightly different.
However, after spending so much time on the 07 game (Yes I'm helplessly addicted to Wrestling games) I found even this as a welcome change. The controls seem to fit soo much easier, and for some reason I prefer it to 2007. I also like how the matches start. It gets me in the mood to go and kick whichever wrestler I can find :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back