The New Main Event Mafia Sting, Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe, Magnus & Rampage Jackson!

Angle wasn't one of the guys who saved him so it doesn't make sense for him to be in it. If RVD re-signed he would have made sense as would Jeff Jarrett. Also you could've added King Mo and Rampage as they weren't there when Sting was beat down.

According to spoilers, the 3rd member will be revealed next week!! I’m not sure what the rules are on this forum about spoilers, but the 3rd member is another TNA SuperStar on my list of choices. I hope they continue the trend and stick to the original qualifications of being a member of the Main Event Mafia. I am loving the return of the M. E. Mob so far!!

I just can't get too excited about the return of the Main Event Mafia. It plays in the vicious cycle or recycled story lines that TNA seems to live and die on. I understand that factions and stables are a huge part of wrestling's history, and in many cases have been pivotal, such as the Four Horsemen and Degeneration X.

The problem with TNA's stables, is that there is never a period of time where there isn't one serving as the overarching base for the story lines. The Main Event Mafia, Fortune, Immortal, Christian's Coalition, EV 2.0, Aces and Eights, and that's within the last five years alone, I'm sure I'm forgetting other stables. It's simply too much, and the the stables loose their uniqueness and their grandeur when they are constantly being reconfigured and repackaged as something 'new'.

Also, the idea of the Main Event Mafia vs Aces and Eights in itself is kind of ridiculous. If you look at Aces and Eights, you have one true main event, top level talent in Bully Ray. The entire rest of the stable is midcard, or in most cases jobber material. In what world should any ensemble of wrestlers that populate that kind of placement on a roster be able to have any sort of a sustained feud with a roster of Main Eventers?

Looking at TNA's current roster, it's really hard to see how they will form a Main Event Mafia that really does any justice at all to the first incarnation, when you think of the stature of talent. Yes, Sting is an icon, and of course you have a Kurt Angle..but who else?

I see a lot of people saying AJ Styles, but I just can't see it. His current character doesn't seem to be someone that would affiliate with anyone, and it's been a very long time since he main evented much of anything. Who does that leave us with:

Samoa Joe: He's been absolutely irrelevant in TNA for years. Yes he's still an incredible in ring talent, but TNA destroyed all the credibility and mystique they painstaking tried to build with him.

Jeff Hardy: A strong possibility, as he will definitely get people behind the stable. But does he really need to be in another stable? He's their biggest overall draw on his own.

Bobby Roode: Another case of a former main even talent that you would never even know is main event caliber from the way he's been handled.

Austin Aries: See above

I'm sure this reads like a long drawn on diatribe against TNA, but it's not. I like TNA, I want them to succeed. But if you want to reinvent the Main Event mafia, you first have to reinvest in your main event. If this was a long term plan, they had a lot of time to start elevating the talent to a level where all parties in the stable felt like a truly big deal.

I'll leave my rant on why would Sting recruit people that he claimed abandoned him for another date and time.

as far as I know, there aren't any type of spoilers allowed at all.

I don't think Joseph Park should even be a consideration. not only is he not main event, he's not even that good of a character. I see him more of a comedy character, not someone to be taken seriously.

I also just can't put Jeff Hardy in there. Sting talked about trust and family, and I just don't see that fitting with Hardy. plus I think they need to have some top guys still with TNA.

How dare you forget the World Elite? They were part of the Mafia in away. The Mafia joined forces with the World Elite. This was when Sting had left and Samoa Joe had joined..

Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe, Kevin Nash, Booker T, Scott Steiner, Eric Young, Homicide, Rob Terry, Brutus Magnus, Douglas Williams, Kiyoshi and Sheik Abdul Bashir.

The TNA Front-line was then -

Jeff Jarrett, Sting, Mick Foley, AJ Styles, Brother Ray, Chris Sabin, Brother Devon, Alex Shelly, Robert Roode, James Storm, Hernandez and Daniels

it's kind of funny. for the last year Kurt Angle has been getting his ass kicked multiple times by multiple members of Aces and Eights. now he puts on a suit, and he himself can lay out multiple members of Aces and eights in the back.

More than likely, Chris Sabin will be a member of this group. He has the X-Division title which grants him a world title shot if he holds on til next month, which could be against Bully. Chris is also in limbo as TNA hasn't directed him on a storyline, possibly leading to a reveal next week. He has history and if my prediction is correct, he needs to be revealed next week in order to be built into the white stallion he will be for the MEM 2.0

I saw something there, and when Aries was revealed as "Fake Suicide" I saw it again... Bobby Roode is the hero that TNA needs to save them. Think about it like this. When Sting was fighting the fight against nWo, he needed to find it in himself to become the threat they needed. He had to become just like the nWo. And so he did... only he used his prowess for the greater good.

It's what I'm now calling the "Batman Effect".

Bobby Roode is just like Bully Ray. He's sneaky, conniving, and has everything it takes to become champion. He's the longest reigning champion in TNA history, and if he can get people like Sting, Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe, and even Austin Aries to watch his back and keep the Aces and Eights out of the way, he can bring down Bully Ray in the ring.

I don't know, maybe it's just strong wishful thinking but I do believe that this could equal money... well enough to keep TNA interesting.

I saw something there, and when Aries was revealed as "Fake Suicide" I saw it again... Bobby Roode is the hero that TNA needs to save them. Think about it like this. When Sting was fighting the fight against nWo, he needed to find it in himself to become the threat they needed. He had to become just like the nWo. And so he did... only he used his prowess for the greater good.

It's what I'm now calling the "Batman Effect".

Bobby Roode is just like Bully Ray. He's sneaky, conniving, and has everything it takes to become champion. He's the longest reigning champion in TNA history, and if he can get people like Sting, Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe, and even Austin Aries to watch his back and keep the Aces and Eights out of the way, he can bring down Bully Ray in the ring.

I don't know, maybe it's just strong wishful thinking but I do believe that this could equal money... well enough to keep TNA interesting.

Good logic, except that this role is already played by AJ Styles. AJ did not prove he's as vicious as Aces but there's still time. If you look at AJ, he's your Batman figure here. I believe I did a post a while ago comparing the two. Essentially, Batman became a vigilante who operated outside of law because of a huge loss he experienced. Even though he does good things, he's not necessarily on the side of the good guys.

Styles has become just that. He lost a lot in the last few years and now he holds no allegiance aside from doing what he thinks is right.

I do see your point about Roode, though. I just think AJ should be that guy because he hasn't been anywhere near gold for years and Roode had a pretty damn good run not too long ago. It's AJ's turn now, he waited long enough.

I wish I could be positive about all this MEM rehash but... So far, nothing is surprising nor exciting about it all. And their new theme is... unpleasant? I still can't find the word I'm looking for. But, I'm still willing to give TNA its running chance despite never having been too keen on their constantly reusing their storyline arcs when running out of steam.

Also, I really don't think it would make any kind of sense for AJ to join them for at least two reasons:

1- The MAIN aspect of his return has been the loner persona and gimmick. Joining "The family" would simply be the opposite of what he has been preaching for the last few weeks. Explainable, yes. But it would just make him look silly with his flip-flopping.
2- TNA has not bothered, or at least managed to make AJ look strong at all since his return. His one decisive victory was against James Storm, a former main eventer not doing much of anything, right now. Otherwise, it has been only been losing against pre-injured opponents, stealing a win with a sneak rollup or ending up with a draw and a bloody nose. I'm sorry but to me, that doesn't exactly scream face of the company.

Still, let's keep tuning in and hope TNA can pull a rabbit out of their ass and keep it interesting.

Good logic, except that this role is already played by AJ Styles. AJ did not prove he's as vicious as Aces but there's still time. If you look at AJ, he's your Batman figure here. I believe I did a post a while ago comparing the two. Essentially, Batman became a vigilante who operated outside of law because of a huge loss he experienced. Even though he does good things, he's not necessarily on the side of the good guys.

Styles has become just that. He lost a lot in the last few years and now he holds no allegiance aside from doing what he thinks is right.

I do see your point about Roode, though. I just think AJ should be that guy because he hasn't been anywhere near gold for years and Roode had a pretty damn good run not too long ago. It's AJ's turn now, he waited long enough.

But at the same time, Batman doesn't really trust or work with the new guys, at least not technically. He's the lone gun who fights his brand of justice. And the only person that is on law enforcement that he trusts is James Gordon. Now, I could understand if maybe AJ and Sting were able to co-exist, much to the dismay of Angle and the Mafia, but in the scenario I drew out, it wouldn't work.

--

Another option that could be done is that the Mafia could try and get into the head of one Mr. Anderson. Anderson meets the one sole criteria of Main Event Mafia, and that is being a former World Champion. But he adds another element. He's got the Aces & Eights game plan. To me, I find Anderson to be the "Randy Orton" of the group anyways, so it would make sense to have him be somewhat forced to turn face and join Main Event Mafia.

Eh, even you can't say Batman is really a lonegun compared to AJ. AJ has no friends, and is quick to attack the heroes as much as he would the villains. Batman still has a large group of allies inside Gotham, & is still 100% against evil.

See this annoys me because it's wrong. AJ is NOTHING like Batman. There has NEVER been a time where the viewing public sees Batman as the villain EVER. Gotham might because they're dumb. Same with Sting in WCW. Many at the beginning didn't trust him because they're dumb, but the viewing public was never given any reason to see Sting as a villain.

AJ is a different story. Since he's come back, he's been nothing but a villain. He fights the good guys, gets in the way of them fighting the bad guys, and he's motivated by evil things (money). AJ IS A HEEL. He's not your hero, he's not Batman, he's a douche and his promo last week was literally a paint by numbers I AM A HEEL SO BOO ME promo and some fans apparently STILL DIDNT GET IT. If he is supposed to be the hero in this story, it's the worst TNA's ever done in setting that up.

Now, as for the Mafia, AJ can't be a part of it BECAUSE HES A HEEL and a "loner". You got 3 guys. I still think Morgan makes sense as a 4th even if he never won a title. Same with Crimson who was the guy who tried to bring it back the last time when Booker and Nash bailed for the Royal Rumble. Maybe you don't want to remind fans of that, but those guys could just be the muscle to protect the bigger stars. That's basically what you need at this point. I mean, the group doesn't have any real purpose other than kicking some ass. Doesn't need a "top star, midcard star, and tag team" like traditional groups. Just guys who want to fight. Where's Finlay at?

There has NEVER been a time where the viewing public sees Batman as the villain EVER.

You are so wrong it's not even funny anymore. In Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises, Batman became the poster child bad guy all for allegedly killing Harvey Dent.

Sting must be the thickest guy in wrestling history. 'I was out there and i got beat up and no one in the back helped me so when its like that you turn to family you turn to a mafia ..........you turn to the people in the back that didn't help you.

Really really dumb and illogical.

You are so wrong it's not even funny anymore. In Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises, Batman became the poster child bad guy all for allegedly killing Harvey Dent.

That IS his whole point. He says the viewing public never has, which is true, but that Gotham might, which is the point you are now reflecting.

Aside from apparently this thread having somehow become a Batman thread, AJ has made his intentions abundantly clear: he will be in it for himself and the money. Selfishness, greed and complete disregard for "the right thing". Batman, on the other hand, while he does not necessarily play well with others, still always thrives for that "right thing". The comparison is nul and void, so AJ in the Mafia would be nonsensical. He is an admitted heel, behaves like a heel and is even incapable of winning key matches cleanly or at all for that matter, which is a heel paradigm.

That IS his whole point. He says the viewing public never has, which is true, but that Gotham might, which is the point you are now reflecting.

Aside from apparently this thread having somehow become a Batman thread, AJ has made his intentions abundantly clear: he will be in it for himself and the money. Selfishness, greed and complete disregard for "the right thing". Batman, on the other hand, while he does not necessarily play well with others, still always thrives for that "right thing". The comparison is nul and void, so AJ in the Mafia would be nonsensical. He is an admitted heel, behaves like a heel and is even incapable of winning key matches cleanly or at all for that matter, which is a heel paradigm.

Pretty much exactly this. I mean, I did say it in my original post but since it wasn't comprehended, I'll explain further.

If we're using the newest incarnation of Batman, he is seen as a villain by some, if not nearly all OF GOTHAM after Harvey Dent's death. However, the VIEWING PUBLIC never saw him as anything other than the hero. We know that he didn't kill Dent. We even know that he TOLD COMMISSIONER GORDON TO LET PEOPLE THINK HE IS THE VILLAIN SO THEY WILL STILL THINK OF DENT AS THE HERO. Batman is thinking of the greater good and is never about himself, his ego, or anything else. That is about as prototypical babyface as you can get.

Now lets look at Sting. While many IN WCW thought he joined the nWo, he never did. The fact that his friends thought he betrayed them made Sting upset and he went away for a while. The VIEWING PUBLIC on the other hand knew that Sting never betrayed WCW and was always a good guy. He beat up the nWo and screamed "is that good enough for you?" before ultimately going away for a while, leaving as a babyface unhappy that his friends don't trust him. When he finally attacked again, he attacked the nWo, proving to the idiot announcers and WCW what the VIEWING PUBLIC knew all along, that Sting IS A GOOD GUY.

And then there's AJ. His promo last week was basically "I am a heel, boo me." He's fought only babyfaces, caused said babyfaces to not fight the Aces and Eights, and the only times he's talked, he's said that it's about him and him only (selfishness) and that he's about the money (greed). Everything about him is a heel and he's nothing like Batman or Sting.

Thus, he can't and should not have anything to do with the Mafia. Wouldn't surprise me if he started feuding with them actually. After all, that's what heels do, they fight babyfaces.

I have no idea why these guys are discussing Batman.

Any who, I have more of an idea as to who is in the new Main Event Mafia. When Sting first announced this, I have no clue as to who was going to join the "family".

After weeks of speculation, I think I have this figured. So we know some of the original members of the original Main Event Mafia are in, i.e: Sting, Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe. But I think the final members will be:

Crimson: as he made a return for one night, and was beat by Joseph Park. He arrived for one night in the Bound For Glory series qualifier matches and mentioned his streak and all that jazz. Randomly returning shows us that the creative may have something planned for him. Also, Crimson was supposed to join the planned Mafia reunion of 2011. After the abandoned return, I think TNA may finally want this guy to be in the M.E.M, which actually goes to plan this time.

Bobby Roode or Austin Aries: This week on Impact Wrestling, before Roode had entered for his match with rising star Magnus, he walked past TNA Hall Of Famer's Kurt Angle and Sting. After he walked by, Kurt and the Stinger had a strange look on their faces. It was a smile like: "this guy is good". So this may hint he could be Sting's next option. Bobby Roode hasn't even been a Babyface since 2011. Known for their frequent Heel/Face turns, TNA may turn Roode into Face by aligning him with the Main Event Mafia.

Then we have Austin Aries. The "Greatest man that ever lived". Unmasked as Suicide, and your new number 1 contender for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. Who is the number one contender? That's right, Bully Ray. The leader, and the President of the Aces and Eights. Who else is after the Aces and Eights Bully's World title? The Main Event Mafia. What else did Kurt Angle say; "lets talk to Suicide". Obviously taking into account they didn't know who Suicide was at the point, they still might have an association with the faction.
So "A-Double" may in fact be in the group. Did I say that both of these men were former WORLD CHAMPIONS. The main concept of the Main Event Mafia...

Or this may be a swerve. Maybe Angle and Sting have us fooled. If you think about it, who would play the Heels in the BFG series? It would be a tournament with no Heels, meaning no real conflict. Just friendly one-on-ones. Roode and Aries may have the style and the look to join them (remember their dress sense when they were a tag-team), and they did in fact mention they were a team of WORLD CHAMPIONS (when they were a tag-team), but think of the issues of the BFG series. How boring would it be? I mean no Heels? So that could be a reason why at least only one of these men play the strong Heel, and why the other joins Angle and Sting. Or, their could be some Heel turns coming soon. Or we could rely on Mr. Anderson and Jay Bradley to do some good Heel work. The other thing is, Roode lost cleanly to the (as mentioned before) rising star of TNA Magnus. Roode would look weak going into the Main Event Mafia, unless they have him kick some ass before hand. On the homepage of TNA, there were to spaces next to the 3 current members, which could mean again, that Crimson and only one of these 2 may join the Mafia.

Ta ta, for now!

I like how the Main Event Mafia is recruiting their members.
Sting picked Angle due to their shared histories
Angle picked Joe and Joe picked Magnus for the same reasons.
It's not just one man picking the entire team, but members are based off of another person's choice.

I have read the spoilers and I already know who is the fifth member (unless they change it), but will Magnus be the reason he joins?

I wouldn't mind it if the MEM actually had enough members to equal the size of As & 8s.

My picks, James Storm, Gunner, Matt Morgan, and then either Chris Sabin or Crimson

I have no idea why these guys are discussing Batman.

Any who, I have more of an idea as to who is in the new Main Event Mafia. When Sting first announced this, I have no clue as to who was going to join the "family".

After weeks of speculation, I think I have this figured. So we know some of the original members of the original Main Event Mafia are in, i.e: Sting, Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe. But I think the final members will be:

Crimson: as he made a return for one night, and was beat by Joseph Park. He arrived for one night in the Bound For Glory series qualifier matches and mentioned his streak and all that jazz. Randomly returning shows us that the creative may have something planned for him. Also, Crimson was supposed to join the planned Mafia reunion of 2011. After the abandoned return, I think TNA may finally want this guy to be in the M.E.M, which actually goes to plan this time.

Bobby Roode or Austin Aries: This week on Impact Wrestling, before Roode had entered for his match with rising star Magnus, he walked past TNA Hall Of Famer's Kurt Angle and Sting. After he walked by, Kurt and the Stinger had a strange look on their faces. It was a smile like: "this guy is good". So this may hint he could be Sting's next option. Bobby Roode hasn't even been a Babyface since 2011. Known for their frequent Heel/Face turns, TNA may turn Roode into Face by aligning him with the Main Event Mafia.

Then we have Austin Aries. The "Greatest man that ever lived". Unmasked as Suicide, and your new number 1 contender for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. Who is the number one contender? That's right, Bully Ray. The leader, and the President of the Aces and Eights. Who else is after the Aces and Eights Bully's World title? The Main Event Mafia. What else did Kurt Angle say; "lets talk to Suicide". Obviously taking into account they didn't know who Suicide was at the point, they still might have an association with the faction.
So "A-Double" may in fact be in the group. Did I say that both of these men were former WORLD CHAMPIONS. The main concept of the Main Event Mafia...

Or this may be a swerve. Maybe Angle and Sting have us fooled. If you think about it, who would play the Heels in the BFG series? It would be a tournament with no Heels, meaning no real conflict. Just friendly one-on-ones. Roode and Aries may have the style and the look to join them (remember their dress sense when they were a tag-team), and they did in fact mention they were a team of WORLD CHAMPIONS (when they were a tag-team), but think of the issues of the BFG series. How boring would it be? I mean no Heels? So that could be a reason why at least only one of these men play the strong Heel, and why the other joins Angle and Sting. Or, their could be some Heel turns coming soon. Or we could rely on Mr. Anderson and Jay Bradley to do some good Heel work. The other thing is, Roode lost cleanly to the (as mentioned before) rising star of TNA Magnus. Roode would look weak going into the Main Event Mafia, unless they have him kick some ass before hand. On the homepage of TNA, there were to spaces next to the 3 current members, which could mean again, that Crimson and only one of these 2 may join the Mafia.

Ta ta, for now!

Austin Aries is not in the MEM. These guys had every moments to help him win the X title tonight and help Aries then screw Bully of the title at Destination X and they didn't, they let the match go.

Now as far as Magnus, it's disapointing to me cause he seems like a pure babyface and it should have been a great of tweeners and sob. Furthermore, he's not a champion and the MEM should be champs.

I like how the Main Event Mafia is recruiting their members.
Sting picked Angle due to their shared histories
Angle picked Joe and Joe picked Magnus for the same reasons.
It's not just one man picking the entire team, but members are based off of another person's choice.

I have read the spoilers and I already know who is the fifth member (unless they change it), but will Magnus be the reason he joins?

I wouldn't mind it if the MEM actually had enough members to equal the size of As & 8s.

My picks, James Storm, Gunner, Matt Morgan, and then either Chris Sabin or Crimson

This is something I did not consider, that Magnus was recruited by Joe. I was wondering, wouldn't it be interesting if behind the scene, this is exactly how this would be played out? Like TNA actually asking the guys who they want for members and each guys selecting the new entries? Like for example, maybe Dixie or Bruce Pritchards asked Sting who he wanted for first member and he said Kurt Angle. Then they asked Angle who he wanted for member and he said Joe cause he respected him. Then Joe is friend with Magnus so he brought him along. The question would be, who Magnus likes in real life that he would hire for his selection? Recently released Doug Williams, maybe? lol

They could also use this to recruit Matt Morgan, considering the fact that both Magnus and Morgan have been gladiators (I'm still hoping for Magnus and Morgan to team up, using their past experience's as gladiators as a gimic).

lol at MEM. this is kind of stupid.

Sting loses at Slammiversary because nobody would come out to help him. so he talks about wanting family and guys he can trust. so now so far the same guys that would not come out to help him are the guys in his new family? TNA went from Angle/Joe/Magnus taking on Aces and Eights as just TNA to now Angle/Joe/Magnus taking on Aces and Eights in a group called MEM.
I guess Aces and Eights kryptonite are suits. Angle/Joe/Magnus put on a suit and now they have a better chance at taking on Aces and Eights?

lol at MEM. this is kind of stupid.

Sting loses at Slammiversary because nobody would come out to help him. so he talks about wanting family and guys he can trust. so now so far the same guys that would not come out to help him are the guys in his new family? TNA went from Angle/Joe/Magnus taking on Aces and Eights as just TNA to now Angle/Joe/Magnus taking on Aces and Eights in a group called MEM.
I guess Aces and Eights kryptonite are suits. Angle/Joe/Magnus put on a suit and now they have a better chance at taking on Aces and Eights?

First of all, Sting said that he didn't mind that nobody came to help him at Slammiversary, he just wanted guys he could trust that would stick with him, which would be formal, official and threatening given that it involves former World Heavyweight Champions, and two TNA Hall Of Famers.

Secondly, nobody really gives a monkeys if it is the same group of people as before, but in suits. Everyone loved the Main Event Mafia. Their gimmick, their accomplishments, the stars involved and all those other things that TNA fans like about them. Not to mention their theme tune. That is why they were brought back, look at the fan reaction towards this, it's positive. Everyone just wants to see these guys again.

EDIT: I'm not saying that we want to see them continuously, like the nWo which fans grew tired of, but here and there would be fine. Not to mention that they were only about for just a year.

Difference from before when they were fighting A/8 on their own is that they will be more organized now. They'll have an attack plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back