• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pin Point the beginning of Anti-Cena attitude

The first time I ever noticed it was Summerslam 2005 against Chris Jericho when half the crowd booed him. Then during his feud with Angle he was regularly booed but the real hatred didn't start until early 06, the heat he got in that elimination chamber match was insane, people were cheering for Chris Masters over him at that point.

EXACTLY.......you nailed it!!!
After WWE decided to not push the Christian/Cena feud that could have been great, Jericho vs Cena was the big Summerslam match!

The whole arena was going "back and forth" for their favorite to win! Jericho's fans were just as loud as Cena's fans!!!

After that brief feud Jericho went on hiatus!!! Then Angle vs Cena was the main feud....WWE still kept the title on Cena!!!

After a while, it got a little ridiculous!!! When the fans wanted the title off Cena, WWE should have took it off him!!!

It seems like the general feeling is that the Cena hatred began in the summer of 2005. I have to agree.

For me it was definitely when Cena joined RAW and as someone else mentioned the catalyst was surprisingly Christian. Christian at the time was building a groundswell of unlikely fan support despite being only an upper midcard level heel. He would rap against Cena despite them not being on the same show and his raps were genuinely funny and clever. When they were silly he would own that fact. The promos Miz has cut recently sort of remind me of Christian's routine.

So when Cena came to RAW he went up against the in vogue, cool heel Christian and the always beloved Jericho. Not only did Cena beat them both but he destroyed them. It only got worse from there with Angle and Edge. For whatever reason the WWE thought it was a good idea to put Cena up against guys that most fans loved despite being heels or faces. They shot his character in the foot.

The first time it was ridiculously bad was New Year's Revolution. It didn't matter if it was Kane or friggin' Chris Masters. The fans took a massive dump on Cena. Heck, earlier in the PPV Angle cut a promo making fun of JESUS just because he knew how ridiculously over he was against a supposedly face champ in Cena.

That's always been Cena's character in a nutshell and that's probably why fans will always boo him until he turns heel. Cena has always been a guy that will pile up win after win against wrestlers more entertaining and more talented than him despite all logic dictating that he should lose here and there.

i think the biggest change came after he did the marine. his entire character changed after that he went from being a white rapper type guy to Mr. Marine and he was just corny.....das when i stopped liking him anyways

ding ding ding we have a winner. I think this is when he/wwe really killed the character. White rapper had his moments and was funny sometimes, but yeah gimmick now sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imo it started just a bit before wrestlemania 21, and then got much much worse when he brought in the new spinner championship, not only was that title a complete disgrace, but the promo he did against jbl was the lamest promo EVER, he went from calling big show a fat small dick saggy tited, giant to, sending jbl a box of guts and then saying, i gave you that because YOU DONT HAVE ANY GUTS, HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA, it just didnt make sense because that was not the cena most of us liked back then, now he's just the most pethetic top face to ever exsist

The Anti-Cena rage came from after Jericho got "fired" on TV and Bischoff immediately choose Kurt Angle as the man to take care of Cena instead of Jericho. Since Angle came in, people started to really HATE Cena. I remember there rivalry came from Unforgiven 05 all the way through New Years Revolution 06. You see it gradually that people don't and can't stand buying into the act that Cena is doing compared of going against the much better wrestler. Even though Kurt played a heel, people wanted to hate Cena because Kurt seemed a lot more real in the eyes of the fans and thats what fans wanted. People wanted Kurt to trump over Cena. I don't blame Kurt for not being more of a heel so that he could get booed, I blame the fans for not being stupid at the time and actually WANTING more WRESTLING from Angle than a SHOW from CENA.

i don't know if anyone mentioned this but i think it was last year when raw was in canada and trish stratus was on the show...the ME match was cena and trish v glamarella...they booed cena so bad when they entered and cheered for glamarella but then only cheered cena after the match coz he was with trish

The problem with Cena is the fact he's been a "good guy" or "baby face" since late 2003, where in Mid 2009 that is a long run as a baby face in wrestling yet the fans are booing him because he was pushed down our throats, I can see the same happening to CM Punk as some point, but Cena has played the same role since 2005/06 he needs to tweak it up a little, a new theme song and new set attire along with a different being heel could freshen him up for a year or two.

it was shortly after he came to raw, i remember when he had the feud with jericho and christian he was even booed slightly. its cuz of the same shit every match. he needs to change his game a lil if he wants the boos to stop

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back