• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

[Official] ROH Thread

RVDGurl... it's good to see you posting in this thread again.

I think what ROH needs to do is exactly what they were doing in late 2006 when they began their roster shakeup. They have been filtering in new names and faces, which is awesome. It seems that they recognize the need to build new stars so when their top guys get signed, they can easily replace them. What I like about this method of promotion is that almost every man on the ROH roster is a legitimate contender for the ROH World Title at any given time. Every title match has substance and the champion is built as more of an underdog with every passing defense, which, psychologically, is genius. After sharing a locker room with some extremely talented guys in my area, it would be wise of ROH to start looking at southern California. The Young Bucks, Johnny Goodtime, Chimaera, Willie Mack, TJ Perkins, these are just a few names out of the many that have performed to the caliber that ROH does on a consistent basis. I like where this topic went... it makes me think.

and canada.canada always has VERY good wrestlers.i dont think roh is gonna be as decimated liekas many people say.sure theyl lose a few stars to wwe & tma but most will still be around.when we starts cutting loose talent theyll start flocking to roh.also another place to scout would be on the indy scene.and im not sure but i think nigel mcguiness got a tryout in wwe once.

I think what ROH needs to do is exactly what they were doing in late 2006 when they began their roster shakeup. They have been filtering in new names and faces, which is awesome. It seems that they recognize the need to build new stars so when their top guys get signed, they can easily replace them. What I like about this method of promotion is that almost every man on the ROH roster is a legitimate contender for the ROH World Title at any given time. Every title match has substance and the champion is built as more of an underdog with every passing defense, which, psychologically, is genius. After sharing a locker room with some extremely talented guys in my area, it would be wise of ROH to start looking at southern California. The Young Bucks, Johnny Goodtime, Chimaera, Willie Mack, TJ Perkins, these are just a few names out of the many that have performed to the caliber that ROH does on a consistent basis. I like where this topic went... it makes me think.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. ROH is comparable to ECW but the big difference is the management. Paul Heyman was a wrestling genius, but he didn't plan too well for the inevitable invasion by WWE and WCW. Heyman's vision was strictly creative, not business. Carey and Gabe have a much better grasp on the industry as a whole and have done a great job filling the shoes of the departed.

After sharing a locker room with some extremely talented guys in my area, it would be wise of ROH to start looking at southern California. The Young Bucks, Johnny Goodtime, Chimaera, Willie Mack, TJ Perkins, these are just a few names out of the many that have performed to the caliber that ROH does on a consistent basis.

Just a note, these guys are being featured on the Los Angeles Dragon Gate show along with El Generico and many of the Japanese talent that ROH uses on a consistent basis. I've been in the ring with these guys. They are amazing and we should expect to see them in ROH at some point in their careers. Nick and Matt Jackson, in case anyone is wondering.

As most ROH fans know, Dragon Gate and ROH have a very close working relationship, as they regularly share talent, with some even holding titles in the Dragon Gate organization.

*dusts off his hands* My feeble attempt at reviving this once-hot thread is complete...

I started watching ROH at their first pay per view and was instantly hooked. It has the best wrestling in the states hands down! After I had watched the first PPV I wanted more. I started buying up old DVD's and I was blown away. Joe vs. Punk. Styles vs homicide. OMG!!! This is the best I've ever seen. I know they can't compete with the WWE but TNA...with a little bit of money and keeping some of their talent, could be well within their sites in the next 5 years.

I started watching ROH at their first pay per view and was instantly hooked. It has the best wrestling in the states hands down! After I had watched the first PPV I wanted more. I started buying up old DVD's and I was blown away. Joe vs. Punk. Styles vs homicide. OMG!!! This is the best I've ever seen. I know they can't compete with the WWE but TNA...with a little bit of money and keeping some of their talent, could be well within their sites in the next 5 years.

Ahhhh.... another believer!! You have picked some great fueds to check out so far. Punk vs. Joe was amazing. If you haven't already, check out some of the Briscoes vs. Generico & Steen and my personal favorite matches: Aries vs. Danielson. If you're into hardcore stuff, check out the ROH vs. CZW stuff. Craziness.

ROH is getting bigger and bigger and WWE and TNA knows this. I mean come on CM Punk former ECW and World Champion and Samoa Joe current TNA champ. Says something. The major companies are trying to get as much from ROH as humanly possible, but quite honestly, I seriously doubt ROH is going anywhere. They have Gabe Sapolsky... in my book a booking genius. They have also unlimited resources from great indie companies from asia, central america, and of course europe. I doubt that ROH will turn into the next ECW (come on I mean honestly don't you think Gabe has learned from heyman's and his own mistakes?). This company is a breath of fresh air and should and eventually would be considered the top company if they keep things up.

VIVA LA RING OF HONOR!!

Order Supercard of Honor to witness the very first Dragon Gate invitational in ROH, which was Blood Generation vs. Do Fixer. These guys go for close to 30 minutes and they don't slow down at all. I think there were about 9 or 10 false finishes in this one. For classic old-school singles competitions, order The Homecoming and watch Christopher Daniels and CM Punk climax their year and a half long feud in an ROH World Title match. To see the match that personified ROH's early attitude, order the 1st Round Robin Challenge. Low-Ki and Bryan Danielson put on an absolute classic in this one, with Ken Shamrock even volunteering to referee the match due to the sheer competitiveness. Just a few suggestions to a new fan. Welcome to the fold!

So I just read the other day that Adam Pierce is finished with ROH. Fantastic news. Wonderful. I was sitting front row for his match against Brent Albright where he won the NWA title and I was fighting off yawns. Thank God the railing was in front of me to rest my head on. Albright puts on a decent match, but Pierce bores me to tears. He has a horrible look, delivers subpar promos and is slower than a snail in the ring. A complete borefest. The only positive I can take from his matches is that ROH creative was smart enough to link him up with Sweet & Sour, Inc as a last effort to draw some interest from the fans. Good bye Adam Pierce- you suck.

So I just read the other day that Adam Pierce is finished with ROH. Fantastic news. Wonderful. I was sitting front row for his match against Brent Albright where he won the NWA title and I was fighting off yawns. Thank God the railing was in front of me to rest my head on. Albright puts on a decent match, but Pierce bores me to tears. He has a horrible look, delivers subpar promos and is slower than a snail in the ring. A complete borefest. The only positive I can take from his matches is that ROH creative was smart enough to link him up with Sweet & Sour, Inc as a last effort to draw some interest from the fans. Good bye Adam Pierce- you suck.

Put him in ROH and he definitely slows down the card dramatically. But before you completely write him off, you should see his work for Socal Pro Wrestling in Oceanside, CA. If you go to their website and order the March Madness DVD, his match was actually one of the greatest matches I have ever seen live-and I've been to hundreds of shows from coast to coast and witness a LOT of matches live.
To further the subject of ROH, I pose a question for any to answer. Who do you think is going to end the title reign of Nigel? Right now the title picture is looking more diverse than ever, as ROH has a unique and old-schoolish way of making every single defense look legitimately threatening. On paper, Generico doesn't look like he'd stand a chance. But the way they hyped that match up, it was easy to really start believing in him. Lately, ROH has done something for me that hasn't happened since I started wrestling-it has made me feel like a fan again. And it feels pretty damn good.

To further the subject of ROH, I pose a question for any to answer. Who do you think is going to end the title reign of Nigel? Right now the title picture is looking more diverse than ever, as ROH has a unique and old-schoolish way of making every single defense look legitimately threatening. On paper, Generico doesn't look like he'd stand a chance. But the way they hyped that match up, it was easy to really start believing in him. Lately, ROH has done something for me that hasn't happened since I started wrestling-it has made me feel like a fan again. And it feels pretty damn good.

I have to agree with you that ROH has kept alot of potential champions after Nigel and made his reign very interesting. I think that Nigel will beat Danielson at the next PPV and hold the belt until Final Battle. At Final Battle I think he will lose the title to Naomichi Marifugi

I LOVE the current ROH title picture and I was thoroughly enterained by the McGuiness/Generico match. There were actually 2 or 3 times where I thought "holy shit, there putting the belt on Generico!". With that being said, I think we will see our first 2 time ROH champ in Bryan Danielson. Yes, I'm partial because I am such a huge fan, but I really think they've been building it up for months with subtle hints. Since Nigel's heel turn, he's been using Dragon's catchphrases such as "best in the world" and "I have until 5!". Dragon has called out Nigel on several occasions and Dragon was the one who caused a scene the night Nigel won the belt.

I LOVE the current ROH title picture and I was thoroughly enterained by the McGuiness/Generico match. There were actually 2 or 3 times where I thought "holy shit, there putting the belt on Generico!". With that being said, I think we will see our first 2 time ROH champ in Bryan Danielson. Yes, I'm partial because I am such a huge fan, but I really think they've been building it up for months with subtle hints. Since Nigel's heel turn, he's been using Dragon's catchphrases such as "best in the world" and "I have until 5!". Dragon has called out Nigel on several occasions and Dragon was the one who caused a scene the night Nigel won the belt.

I'm a huge Danielson fan myself. I've utilized more holds from studying Danielson matches than any other worker. However, I have to say that the next era needs to belong to Roderick Strong. This man's title win is long overdue. He made the FIP title something to be very appreciated. I remember his series of matches against Danielson for the title and he was definitely ready for the main event. But now? Now he's ready to carry the company, without a doubt. I mean, just imagine him defending against the likes of Aries, Nigel, Dragon, Marufuji, Richards, Stevens, Steen, Generico, Lynn, Shelley, Black, Jacobs... THE LIST GOES ON, lol. OK, OK, so it's hard to pick out names with a roster as strong as this, but I think this would be a great step. During the Strong run, I'd like to see him work a program with someone who he hasn't done one with yet and who has been vastly underutilized like Delirious. Imagine the angle of Strong defending in a 3 way with BOTH Briscoes?! Hasn't been done... and if you've seen Strong work with them, you know it's magic. I could go on forever... I'll stop now.

I'm a huge Danielson fan myself. I've utilized more holds from studying Danielson matches than any other worker. However, I have to say that the next era needs to belong to Roderick Strong. This man's title win is long overdue. He made the FIP title something to be very appreciated. I remember his series of matches against Danielson for the title and he was definitely ready for the main event. But now? Now he's ready to carry the company, without a doubt. I mean, just imagine him defending against the likes of Aries, Nigel, Dragon, Marufuji, Richards, Stevens, Steen, Generico, Lynn, Shelley, Black, Jacobs... THE LIST GOES ON, lol. OK, OK, so it's hard to pick out names with a roster as strong as this, but I think this would be a great step. During the Strong run, I'd like to see him work a program with someone who he hasn't done one with yet and who has been vastly underutilized like Delirious. Imagine the angle of Strong defending in a 3 way with BOTH Briscoes?! Hasn't been done... and if you've seen Strong work with them, you know it's magic. I could go on forever... I'll stop now.

Strong is a very interesting choice and, to be honest, he never occurred to me as a viable choice. I like his work, but I find that he is, along with Delirious, underutilized in ROH. Roderick hasn't been used in a strong storyline since NRC vs. Resiliance. I would be curious to see how he would pan out holding ROH on his shoulders- as you pointed out, he did a great job as FIP champion.

Another name I would love to throw into the mix is Tyler Black. I realize that he is young and still fairly new to the company, but he has made such a great impact thus far. He is absolutely sick in the ring and he plays his character fantastically. Black is received with a cult like fanfare, at least at the Edison and Philly shows. I think he is a versatile wrestler that could work great programs with wrestlers of all styles.

Another name I would love to throw into the mix is Tyler Black. I realize that he is young and still fairly new to the company, but he has made such a great impact thus far. He is absolutely sick in the ring and he plays his character fantastically. Black is received with a cult like fanfare, at least at the Edison and Philly shows. I think he is a versatile wrestler that could work great programs with wrestlers of all styles.

Funny thing is I thought of Tyler Black before I posted about Strong, but at this point in time, he needs to break free of AOTF to be a serious contender. His performances against main eventers, while strong and accepted with by the crowd, will be overshadowed by his role in the stable. He is not the leader of a stable. Back in 04 when Orton won his first heavyweight title as a member of Evolution, he lost it in a month and was quickly dropped out of the title picture. Why? Because the group's jealousy angle completely backwatered his title win. For Black to be taken 100% seriously as a possible champion, I say he loses several very important matches in a row for his team, but due to "could've happened to anyone" circumstances instead of clean losses. Jacobs' faith in Black as a member of AOTF begins to dwindle as Black continues to defend himself, citing good points that the fans can agree with as to what has been wrong lately. Black slowly begins to see less and less action as a member of the team, as Jacobs sidelines him and begins using Delirious in his tag matches instead (thus also giving Delirious something to do instead of being underutilized in pointless matches with local jobbers or former students). Jacobs is seen backstage in a video wire talking to Necro Butcher. Nobody knows what this is about, as before they can finish talking, they see the camera and leave. At another show, Black is about to face "local guy A" when Jacobs and Delirious storm the ring, taking out Black's opponent and leaving him in a pool of blood. Jacobs, incensed, says he just watched the video wire and had to find out that Black was talking to Necro Butcher. Jacobs is suspicious that Black is going to turn on AOTF just like he did. Black, adamantly defending himself, says that it's not what it looks like and that it's not him who has been disloyal to AOTF. He claims that Jacobs has been so obsessed with all of his own personal issues that he has been missing the whole point of AOTF to begin with. Black says it wasn't supposed to be like this, with AOTF turning on each other, but he said he can see why Necro did. He even mentions that he doesn't blame Lacey for leaving him for Aries. At that, Jacobs goes to strike Black, but pauses, and then leaves the ring in a fit, cursing the whole way to the back. Delirious and Black are both left in the ring, lost with themselves, and leave separately as well. At the next show, all of AOTF have decided to try to rekindle their bond as Black, Jacobs, and Delirious take on the YRR (Jason Blade, Kenny King, and former ROH Tag Team Champion Sal Rinauro). AOTF controls most of the match, but then after a miscommunication, Jacobs gets pinned and loses the match. Black makes a point, publicly, that even his fearless, idealistic leader can make mistakes-and throws the mic down at Jacobs' feet. Next show, Black gets a number one contender's match against, say... Brent Albright. After a fierce bout, Black looks to have the win secured as Jacobs charges the ring for the Dusty Rhodes finish, with the spike in hand, and begins mutilating Black, shouting disparagingly at him. Delirious runs in and stops Jacobs, but Jacobs puts the spike in Delirious' hand and yells that if he doesn't spike the miserable piece of shit himself, he's out of AOTF and reminds him that Jacobs was the man who befriended him after Daizee crapped on his heart. Jacobs tells Delirious to picture Rhett Titus and the masked man goes nuts on Black, busting him open even more and even taking out Albright in the process as well (setting up another feud for Delirious to be a part of... I try not to leave anyone out, lol). Black vs. AOTF is in full swing. Black then heads up a team of himself, Aries, and Albright vs. Jacobs, Delirious, and returning AOTF member, Joey Matthews. Black and Jacobs go on to have a bloody and barbaric feud, which culminates a year later in a violent steel cage match (ala Jacobs vs. Whitmer). During that year, as well, Black wins many key matches against top ROH names. In the wake of his feud with AOTF and his wins over main eventers, Black finally challenges for the ROH Title again, losing his first and second shot in a two month timeframe. Black garners more and more fans and his cult following grows, so by the time he wins the title on his third attempt, the venue is chock full of rabid Tyler Black fans as he collapses in the ring, his ROH Title draped over his chest...

...thoughts?

Funny thing is I thought of Tyler Black before I posted about Strong, but at this point in time, he needs to break free of AOTF to be a serious contender. His performances against main eventers, while strong and accepted with by the crowd, will be overshadowed by his role in the stable. He is not the leader of a stable. Back in 04 when Orton won his first heavyweight title as a member of Evolution, he lost it in a month and was quickly dropped out of the title picture. Why? Because the group's jealousy angle completely backwatered his title win. For Black to be taken 100% seriously as a possible champion, I say he loses several very important matches in a row for his team, but due to "could've happened to anyone" circumstances instead of clean losses. Jacobs' faith in Black as a member of AOTF begins to dwindle as Black continues to defend himself, citing good points that the fans can agree with as to what has been wrong lately. Black slowly begins to see less and less action as a member of the team, as Jacobs sidelines him and begins using Delirious in his tag matches instead (thus also giving Delirious something to do instead of being underutilized in pointless matches with local jobbers or former students). Jacobs is seen backstage in a video wire talking to Necro Butcher. Nobody knows what this is about, as before they can finish talking, they see the camera and leave. At another show, Black is about to face "local guy A" when Jacobs and Delirious storm the ring, taking out Black's opponent and leaving him in a pool of blood. Jacobs, incensed, says he just watched the video wire and had to find out that Black was talking to Necro Butcher. Jacobs is suspicious that Black is going to turn on AOTF just like he did. Black, adamantly defending himself, says that it's not what it looks like and that it's not him who has been disloyal to AOTF. He claims that Jacobs has been so obsessed with all of his own personal issues that he has been missing the whole point of AOTF to begin with. Black says it wasn't supposed to be like this, with AOTF turning on each other, but he said he can see why Necro did. He even mentions that he doesn't blame Lacey for leaving him for Aries. At that, Jacobs goes to strike Black, but pauses, and then leaves the ring in a fit, cursing the whole way to the back. Delirious and Black are both left in the ring, lost with themselves, and leave separately as well. At the next show, all of AOTF have decided to try to rekindle their bond as Black, Jacobs, and Delirious take on the YRR (Jason Blade, Kenny King, and former ROH Tag Team Champion Sal Rinauro). AOTF controls most of the match, but then after a miscommunication, Jacobs gets pinned and loses the match. Black makes a point, publicly, that even his fearless, idealistic leader can make mistakes-and throws the mic down at Jacobs' feet. Next show, Black gets a number one contender's match against, say... Brent Albright. After a fierce bout, Black looks to have the win secured as Jacobs charges the ring for the Dusty Rhodes finish, with the spike in hand, and begins mutilating Black, shouting disparagingly at him. Delirious runs in and stops Jacobs, but Jacobs puts the spike in Delirious' hand and yells that if he doesn't spike the miserable piece of shit himself, he's out of AOTF and reminds him that Jacobs was the man who befriended him after Daizee crapped on his heart. Jacobs tells Delirious to picture Rhett Titus and the masked man goes nuts on Black, busting him open even more and even taking out Albright in the process as well (setting up another feud for Delirious to be a part of... I try not to leave anyone out, lol). Black vs. AOTF is in full swing. Black then heads up a team of himself, Aries, and Albright vs. Jacobs, Delirious, and returning AOTF member, Joey Matthews. Black and Jacobs go on to have a bloody and barbaric feud, which culminates a year later in a violent steel cage match (ala Jacobs vs. Whitmer). During that year, as well, Black wins many key matches against top ROH names. In the wake of his feud with AOTF and his wins over main eventers, Black finally challenges for the ROH Title again, losing his first and second shot in a two month timeframe. Black garners more and more fans and his cult following grows, so by the time he wins the title on his third attempt, the venue is chock full of rabid Tyler Black fans as he collapses in the ring, his ROH Title draped over his chest...

...thoughts?

Holy shit, Jason.... maybe you should send this post directly to Gabe on the ROH forum and see what he thinks! I love your ideas. In fact, as much as I think Black could be a legitimate contender now, I am dying to see the culmination of the sure-to-happen Jacobs v. Black fued. That fued will no doubt be headlining many ROH shows when the time comes. Your storyline scenerio puts both Delirious and Black into a better place, which I like. Honestly, I don't see Delirious as a good fit for AOTF. His character was created to be a babyface and I can't really buy the evil Delirious- however, your scenerio makes him a little more involved, which is what the character needs to be believable in the new role.
Do you really think Black needs that much of a build up before he becomes champion? ROH is known for letting their storylines play out, which means that the destruction of AOTF and the Black v. Jacobs fued would have to be put to rest first. That would take feasibly another year to complete. I know you brought up the Orton/Evolution situation where Orton's first title reign was overshadowed. I agree with that, but that was creative's fault for not putting the angle together in the right way. I think ROH could learn a lesson from that angle and create a great storyline around Jacobs v. Black, with Black defending his title from his blood thristy former master. I really think it could work and be very successful if done correctly.

I think in all fairness maybe Black deserves another title shot, his matches with Danielson were incrediable i heard. I don't feel he'd be Champion a while, maybe till McGuiness isn't champion anymore.

Do you really think Black needs that much of a build up before he becomes champion?
Absolutely. Would you accept any less for an ROH World Champion? Look at the intensity-the workrate even-of an ROH World Champion. Any champion who won the title without a proper buildup has been overlooked with only once exception, being Takeshi Morishmia.
Examples:
Low-Ki? How many even remember?
Xavier? Only remembered for losing to Joe.
Gibson? Yeah... OK.
And I would hate to see someone with the pure talent that Black possesses end up in this category. These workers are all talented, but their title reigns were not defined by their talent. Like it or not, a title reign will be defined by its booking. And underbooking Black for the biggest win in his career would be an insult. He would deserve the buildup that any fighting and well-booked champion should receive. It's not about how long it takes a worker to win a belt. It's about how he is booked to go about it.
ROH is known for letting their storylines play out, which means that the destruction of AOTF and the Black v. Jacobs feud would have to be put to rest first. That would take feasibly another year to complete.
Indeed, which is what I included in my storyline proposal. :icon_smile:
I know you brought up the Orton/Evolution situation where Orton's first title reign was overshadowed. I agree with that, but that was creative's fault for not putting the angle together in the right way. I think ROH could learn a lesson from that angle and create a great storyline around Jacobs v. Black, with Black defending his title from his blood thristy former master. I really think it could work and be very successful if done correctly.
It could work, but IMO, would mean that Black won the title without proper buildup. The title would become, yet again, second priority in the middle of a feud. One thing I've learned from participating in-and choosing not to participate in-bad booking, is that when you involve a major championship in a feud that doesnt NEED the title in order to be over, it not only devalues the title, but it takes away from other potential angles. The title should rarely be overshadowed by anything. Nigel defending the title against any and all comers, while in the meantime other feuds are happening, is perfect booking. The title continues to be important on its own and the other angles fill out the rest of the card, thus creating a solid card from top to bottom. There is no room-thus no point for-pointless matches. WWE currently makes this mistake, and so does TNA. When you watch their programming, you usually go "why the hell is this happening? What does this have to do with anything?" By asking this question to yourself as a writer, you can prevent pointlessness in your shows. The same situation in ROH is prevented, however, because Gabe is a booking genius and realizes that the angles are perfectly tailored to be entertaining on their own and don't need titles centered around them. Thus leaving the championships all to their lonesome. It's all about filling out a card, madame... and still putting out the best product. :cool:

Okay, so I made my first purchase from ROH since the Glory By Honor VI shows came out (very early 2008) a couple of weeks ago and got Tag Wars 2008, Unscripted III, Vendetta II and Breakout. I've watched them all now and since I have nothing better to do, I thought I'd write a quick review from each show for those who care to enjoy.

Unscripted III was probably my least favorite from the buy. It wasn’t a very good show, but Aries vs. Tyler Black was solid, and Danielson vs. Jacobs was a very good old-school, babyface vs. heel type of match. Overall, I wouldn’t recommend anyone to spend much money on this, but I’d definitely recommend the Danielson/Jacobs match if you can find it for download or something like that.

Breakout was a good show. Briscoes started it off very strong with a fun match against Matt Cross & Jigsaw. Joey Matthews made his ROH debut in this show, joining Age of the Fall, in which case he and Jacobs teamed together to face Roderick Strong & Rocky Romero in what was a pretty good match. Roddy and Jacobs really carried the action though. Bryan Danielson vs. Tyler Black was the co-main event and it was fucking fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. I heard a lot of hype about this match and I wasn’t sure if it would live up to it, but it did. Black earned my respect with it. And Nigel McGuinness vs. Chris Hero (Cage Match for ROH Title) was decent at best. Hero’s antics made the match fun, but I think these two styles just clash and the matches aren’t main event caliber, in my opinion.

Tag Wars 2008 was awesome just because of the two main events. I’ve heard a lot of praise about Kota Ibushi these past few months, and now I see why. He and Aries tagged up to face the Briscoes in what was a match I highly enjoyed. Briscoes are always awesome, and this Kota guy did some incredible shit. Fun, fun match, which I thought in no way was going to be topped, but it was in what I’m now saying is, at this point, my MOTY thus far. I’m talking about the Murder City Machine Guns vs. Jimmy Jacobs and Tyler Black. Holy shit this match was amazing. Not only did it have just as many as incredible spots the match before it had, but it told an AWESOME story with the Jacobs/Shelly factor, which ROH did a great job going into full detail in with interviews from Jacobs and Shelly throughout the show, explaining their history and what the match meant to both of them. And both guys did a tremendous job in the match telling a story that made sense to their history. Really awesome fucking match, no exaggeration.

Finally, Vendetta II was my favorite all around show from my purchase. Jay Briscoe/Erick Stevens put on a nice little showing, Chris Hero vs. Pelle Primeau was good with the underdog factor of it, Kevin Steen & El Generico vs. Tyler Black & Necro Butcher was a fun brawl, Bryan Danielson vs. Claudio Castagnoli was a great match that involved a ton of great comedy and technical ability, Nigel McGuinness vs. Jerry Lynn was really good, and Austin Aries vs. Jimmy Jacobs was beyond awesome. I can’t stress enough how impressed I was with Jimmy Jacobs with each show from my purchase. He has really stepped his game up since receiving his push and this match against Aries was unbelievable, my second favorite match from the purchase.

So, in the end, I’m glad I got each DVD and felt I got my money’s worth. Tag Wars 2008 and Vendetta II both get my recommendations, while Unscripted III and Breakout aren’t worth $20. But if you can find a torrent or ROH has a Big Ten sale, then I would suggest they’re worth checking out.

I'm not a huge fan of this but i bought some DVD's a couple of Months ago. Well i bought the Styles DVD during Christmas time. I gotta say, some of the matches were spotty as hell, and i thought there was No flow. But some of the matches i enjoyed. There was a match with Low Ki, and then his match with Sabin for the Title. They were fast paced with a lot of action. So those two were my favorite. There were many near falls, and close calls, and a lot of back and forth action.

I never understood whats so great about ROH, but i am always willing to learn. Anyone recommend a specific show? Or a Best of Collection like my AJ Styles?

I'm not a huge fan of this but i bought some DVD's a couple of Months ago. Well i bought the Styles DVD during Christmas time. I gotta say, some of the matches were spotty as hell, and i thought there was No flow. But some of the matches i enjoyed. There was a match with Low Ki, and then his match with Sabin for the Title. They were fast paced with a lot of action. So those two were my favorite. There were many near falls, and close calls, and a lot of back and forth action.

I never understood whats so great about ROH, but i am always willing to learn. Anyone recommend a specific show? Or a Best of Collection like my AJ Styles?

Yeah I wasn't a big fan of that DVD either. His match with Low-Ki was good like you mentioned, but I thought the best matches on there was the one against Bryan Danielson and the one where he teamed with Amazing Red and faced the Briscoe Brothers.. Everything else, however, wasn't too good.

But, you should seriously consider picking up The Best of AJ Styles Volume 2. It's far superior to Volume 1. His match on there with Paul London is one of my favorite matches from ROH. It's absolutely incredible. Also, he has another good match with Danielson on that one, and his matches against Punk and Joe were good as well I thought.

As far as other stuff, Final Battle 2006 is my favorite ROH show of all time. So I would definitely recommend that. If you're interested in more Best Of DVDs, then you can't go wrong with any CM Punk (don't know if you're a fan of his though, either you love him or hate him) and Paul London's DVD. Also, ROH recently came out with some national released DVDs (3 of them, I believe) that basically showcase all the past WWE and TNA Superstars to wrestle in the company. I'm sure you could find that at Best Buy, but if not, they're all on Amazon.com (just search ROH and those are the only DVDs that will come up) and of course... ROH's official website.

But I would mainly suggest you just go to ROH’s website and do a search on your favorite wrestlers to ever wrestle in the company and look at the cards and make your judgment’s that way. That's what I did when I first got into ROH (only got stuff that featured Raven, and became a fan from there).

Joey Matthews made his ROH debut in this show, joining Age of the Fall, in which case he and Jacobs teamed together to face Roderick Strong & Rocky Romero in what was a pretty good match.

Just a minor correction here. Joey Matthews made his ROH debut in 2002 with his then-partner Christian York and their manager Alexis Laree (Mickie James) by defeating CW Anderson and Elax at The Round Robin Challenge 2002.

And for anyone wanting to check out the best of ROH, get all three Supercards of Honor. All three cards are stacked and live up to their name. As well, the Joe vs. Punk saga beginning at World Title Classic, continuing at Joe vs. Punk II and concluding at All-Star Extravaganza II which also feature some other great matches such as Austin Aries vs. Low-Ki, Danieson vs. Homicide, Shelley vs. Jacobs in a brutal I Quit match, and a tag team Ultimate Endurance match featuring The Prophecy (Dan Maff and BJ Whitmer), The Briscoes, Colt Cabana and Ace Steel, and Jack Evans and Austin Aries. All of this on three shows plus some other great contests that I won't mention for fear of wearing these DVDs out, lol. To any new ROHonorites, welcome to the fold!

And for anyone wanting to check out the best of ROH, get all three Supercards of Honor. All three cards are stacked and live up to their name. As well, the Joe vs. Punk saga beginning at World Title Classic, continuing at Joe vs. Punk II and concluding at All-Star Extravaganza II which also feature some other great matches such as Austin Aries vs. Low-Ki, Danieson vs. Homicide, Shelley vs. Jacobs in a brutal I Quit match, and a tag team Ultimate Endurance match featuring The Prophecy (Dan Maff and BJ Whitmer), The Briscoes, Colt Cabana and Ace Steel, and Jack Evans and Austin Aries. All of this on three shows plus some other great contests that I won't mention for fear of wearing these DVDs out, lol. To any new ROHonorites, welcome to the fold!

Good call- these are some of ROH's finest moments in the ring. Since I'm in the zone for his ROH return this Saturday, I also recommend checking out Homicide's work in ROH. ROH went to great lengths to establish him properly as a main event single's wrestler. He worked a fantastic program with Steve Corino, just to name one. If you are only familiar with Homicide in his tag team role with LAX, you will see him in a different light. He really is very well versed in single's wrestling and possesses good mic skills that he doesn't get to showcase in TNA.

Good call- these are some of ROH's finest moments in the ring. Since I'm in the zone for his ROH return this Saturday, I also recommend checking out Homicide's work in ROH. ROH went to great lengths to establish him properly as a main event single's wrestler. He worked a fantastic program with Steve Corino, just to name one. If you are only familiar with Homicide in his tag team role with LAX, you will see him in a different light. He really is very well versed in single's wrestling and possesses good mic skills that he doesn't get to showcase in TNA.

To add to this, I have to say if you want to see one of Homicide's greatest singles matches of his career (and that's really saying a lot) check out the DVD Recipe For Disaster from Philly-based defunct promotion, 3PW (Pro Pain Pro). Homicide and Low-Ki both had one of the greatest matches of both of their careers at this event as they wrestled a psychological clinic in front of a rabid crowd for over 20 minutes. This match was better than anything that these two ever put together in ROH.

Back on the topic of ROH, the new videowire is up! You won't believe what Delirious freaking does to Daizee! This one was the one I waited for for a long time. It just didn't live up, but that moment saved the other 7 minutes.

Back on the topic of ROH, the new videowire is up! You won't believe what Delirious freaking does to Daizee! This one was the one I waited for for a long time. It just didn't live up, but that moment saved the other 7 minutes.

I absolutely love what ROH is doing with Delirious. It really does tug at my heart strings. I love Delirious and all I can say when I see him with AOTF is "he just needs a hug". It's one of those storylines that makes you feel, probably because Delirious was such a loveable character. The twist with Daizee is fantastic. It ties together two storylines (Delirious/AOTF/Daizee and Daizee/Titus). Great booking (thank you, Gabe).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back