• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

[Official] John Cena Thread

What is Your Feeling on John Cena?

• I despise him!

• I am not a fan of his

• I don't like him or hate him

• I like the guy

• I am a Cena Fanatic!

• I like him, but don't think he's a good wrestler

• I don't like him, but do think he's a good wrestler

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cena vs. Khali is an abomination of a main event rivalry. Neither one of them are too good and the story is sub-par. Their matches, snooze fests. This is what passes for a main event rivalry these days? God I miss the Attitude Era.
And, Rikishi running over Stone Cold in a car, thus putting him in a feud with Steve Austin, which included The Rock, and eventually led to Rikishi's inclusion in the 6 man Hell in a Cell match, was a great main-event story?

Cena vs. Khali is a better main-event story than a lot of angles. Now, it's a shame that it's being used on someone like Khali, and sure, it may be a little redundant, but it is still a classic main-eventer program.

WHY DO YOU GUYS HATE CENA SO MUCH??? He has practacally carried the WWE on his back the past two years.

I do not like the Great Khali because he only does two moves, but he works for the company because they are trying to get across that this man is SO powerful that a chop to your head and a two handed chokeslam is all that he needs to beat you. I think that the WWE is smart and they are going to put Cena over huge when he FU's Khali at ONS.

Cena will get beat for his title this year. But I just hope it's not tripple H or HBK, or anyone who has held the title (except Orton). I really would like to see them build Carlito or Masters to take the title from Cena

I highly doubt Cena has carried the WWE. And, even if he has, nearly every single wrestling fan would rather have Trevor Murdoch as champion. Cena is a bad joke, nothing more. I hate to say it, but the time has come to be brutally honest. Someone tell me, why is this guy in the main event (with the Great F'n Khali) ahead of guys like Edge, HBK, Orton or even Batista!?

Actually Slyfox, the Austin getting hit by a car angle was IMMENSELY over and was one of the most memorable in pro wrestling history. Who doesn't remember Austin getting hit by a car out of fuckin' nowhere at Survivor Series 99? Sure, it was terrible that Rikishi was the one introduced as the guy who did it, but it lead to the REAL culprit, the guy who paid him to do it, and who gained the most from Austin's departure---Triple H. This feud would lead to one of the greatest god damn matches in wrestling history, in the 3 Stages of Hell match Austin & HHH had at No Way Out 2001. Rikishi may not be main event material (I'd hardly say someone like Cena is, however we just disagree on that)but he was still perfectly capable of having a good match (Steel cage with Val Venis at Fully Loaded 2000 being one of them) and fit very well into the 6 Man Hell in a Cell. Who would you rather it have been? There was nobody else dude. Besides, when Austin returned from the accident, I don't ever remember hearing bigger pops in my life---when he showed up on Smackdown right before Backlash '00 and destroyed the DX bus---classic. Then just him showing up at Backlash to help his former arch nemesis, the Rock win the title from Triple H?

Many, many classic moments resulted from that angle.

Someone tell me, why is this guy in the main event (with the Great F'n Khali) ahead of guys like Edge, HBK, Orton or even Batista!?

Because this thread has gone 45 pages of people arguing about it. Is that not evidence enough that Cena is a hot button? There aren't a lot of other 45-page threads. But Cena gets one. Why is that?

Because that many people apparently care one way or the other enough to post, to argue, to long for Cena's demise or stick up for him in the face of a majority of haters.

I am not a huge Cena fan, nor am I a Cena-hater. But I can understand why he's at the top. The kids buy up the spinner belts, the girlies swoon, the IWC tunes in every week to apparently have something to bitch about, etc. Hell, the clothes store where I work sells like 3 or 4 different Cena shirts for kids and men.

Is there an official Batista thread? Is there a 45 page thread debating the pros and cons of Randy Orton?

I know he's not a terrific wrestler. I think he's a fair wrestler. His moveset is limited, but he at least he's not a chronic botcher. He strikes me as a reliable worker who can be depended upon to fill his role without faffing up too badly. Hell, I remember when the Rock used to get the same kind of heat from the IWC. I was listening to a shoot interview with Kennedy the other day, from a while back, and he was asked why the smarks all hate Cena and Batista. Kennedy replied that it was because they were the ones on top, and to be honest I'd have to agree.

I agree that the storyline of Austin being run over was big, but c'mon...you can't tell me that idea for a storyline, which put dancing Rikishi into the main-event was any better than the david vs. goliath story the WWE is giving us with Cena/Khali. It was just another "stack the odds against Austin" story, which led to Rikishi being the driver. And the only reason it led to Triple H being the mastermind is because people laughed that Rikishi was the driver.

Story-wise, it was no better than what we've seen with Cena/Khali.

No way man, they had Triple H planned as the guy behind it the entire time---do you not remember Survivor Series 99 and Austin being eliminated out of the triple threat where HHH was the champ? And everyone blamed him for it, and he laughed about it? Obviously they knew what they were doing.

Rikishi really is not that bad of a worker, and definately not as bad as you're making him out to be. Sure, the stinkface is stupid, but he's got a good combination of power moves and suplex moves to keep it entertaining and carry a good match---besides that feud was only about a month long, so it's not like Cena v. Khali which we've had to sit through for 2 PPVs and undoubtedly it's going to be longer then that---no way will they end the feud on a secondary PPV like ONS.

Personally, Khali v. Cena is honestly one of the worst storylines, ever. Why? Because Khali is one of the worst wrestlers ever? Partly. Because Cena can't entertain at all in a match unless it's against a fantastic wrestler(HBK, Edge, Benoit, Angle, HHH)? Partly. But mostly because it's just not believable in the slightest. Khali beats the living shit out of Cena, Cena can't get a single shot in, then suddenly Cena can kick his ass magically with punches that didn't even make Khali move on RAW and make this monster say I QUIT? Bullshit is all I'll say on that one sir---bullshit.

The whole thing taht ruins the credibility factor of the WWE and the Cena/Khali feud in particular is this...

One year ago, the Undertaker throws absolutly everything he has at Khali, and it doesn't do a damn thing to the big Indian. Khali goes onto Khali Chop the Undertaker, and then pin him with one foot in under five minutes.

Fast forward one year, and you mean to tell me that you expect people to honestly believe that the Undertaker, a guy pushed by the WWE for 17 years now as this unbeatable deadman that can't be beat cleanly, isn't good enough to knock Khali down, but John Cena is Superman and makes the man tap out. That one point right there is enough to ruin any credibility the WWE Main Event title seen has right now. It may not be a reflection of Cena, but it is certainly a reflection on how bad the people behind the curtain are telling storylines.

^Bingo, shock. The poorness of some of the booking surrounding their mission to establish Cena as such an unstoppable force has been at the expense of logic. He gets a gimmie submission win over Benoit when Benoit isn't even on his show? What the hell is that? And you're so right about Taker, it hurts. He's supposed to be The Phenom. The Deadman. Mr. Wrestlemania. Unbeatable in clean fashion more often than not and when he's not sporting the American Badass gimmick they want us to believe he's superhuman. This little tidbit of having him look weak to Khali and then having Khali promptly fed to Cena is beyond illogical. It's like the writing team has a solid mission of turning Cena into the wrestling Jesus and they don't even remember any of the shows they've written from years past. I personally would rather see Cena presented the way they presented Eddy. Eddy wasn't made to be Hulk Hogan II, like Cena has. Instead, he won matches with intelligence, underhandedness (often very funny), and a little bit of luck (Goldberg spear?). That was way more entertaining than the ultra-predictable streak Cena has been on. Make him an underdog. Not the top dog.

No way man, they had Triple H planned as the guy behind it the entire time---do you not remember Survivor Series 99 and Austin being eliminated out of the triple threat where HHH was the champ? And everyone blamed him for it, and he laughed about it? Obviously they knew what they were doing.

Rikishi really is not that bad of a worker, and definately not as bad as you're making him out to be. Sure, the stinkface is stupid, but he's got a good combination of power moves and suplex moves to keep it entertaining and carry a good match---besides that feud was only about a month long, so it's not like Cena v. Khali which we've had to sit through for 2 PPVs and undoubtedly it's going to be longer then that---no way will they end the feud on a secondary PPV like ONS.

Personally, Khali v. Cena is honestly one of the worst storylines, ever. Why? Because Khali is one of the worst wrestlers ever? Partly. Because Cena can't entertain at all in a match unless it's against a fantastic wrestler(HBK, Edge, Benoit, Angle, HHH)? Partly. But mostly because it's just not believable in the slightest. Khali beats the living shit out of Cena, Cena can't get a single shot in, then suddenly Cena can kick his ass magically with punches that didn't even make Khali move on RAW and make this monster say I QUIT? Bullshit is all I'll say on that one sir---bullshit.
I still remember that angle and how everyone, and I mean EVERYONE was wondering who ran him over. It was the wrestling equivalent to the Dallas episode where J.R. got shot. It was a good mystery. And the payoff (3 Stages) was well worth the wait. If anyone sits here with a straight face and tells me that Khali/Cena was or will be worth anything more than a quick trip to my fast-forward button, they're insane.

First off, I'll take Umaga over Rikishi any day. And, the storyline was stupid. It was one of the reasons I went back to watching WCW, which should tell you how bad it was. Which is just my point, that even the beloved Attitude era had its bad moments.

Second of all, I haven't been impressed with the build for Cena/Khali, as I think they've made some mistakes with it, but the story itself is still good. Many people still want to see if Cena can FU Khali and retain the title. Maybe not anyone here, but for the majority of fans who aren't on the Internet, they do.

Third, the Undertaker is over 40 years old, and while he is still the Deadman character, he's much more fleshed out as a human than at any other time playing this character. Additionally, Cena has been booked to be THE number 1 guy in the company over the last 2 years, and he has beaten everybody. Finally, if I'm not mistaken, Undertaker won the LMS match against Khali on Smackdown. And, if a over the hill Undertaker can beat Khali, then a young John Cena, in the prime of his life, with his reputation as a giant killer, and his reputation for overcoming all challenges, certainly can beat Khali.

Will he? I don't know. I've read the spoilers for SNME, and I think it makes ONS a little more interesting. But, the credibility of it certainly isn't ruined to the majority of the fans that tune in.

He gets a gimmie submission win over Benoit when Benoit isn't even on his show? What the hell is that?
It was the Wrestlemania revenge or rewind or something like that. Remember, that very night HBK was scheduled to have a match with JBL as well. JBL "got out of it", but it was scheduled.

Unbeatable in clean fashion more often than not and when he's not sporting the American Badass gimmick they want us to believe he's superhuman. This little tidbit of having him look weak to Khali and then having Khali promptly fed to Cena is beyond illogical.
Haha...Khali wasn't "promptly" fed to Cena. It was 8 months minimum before Khali and Cena had any interaction.

Eddy wasn't made to be Hulk Hogan II, like Cena has. Instead, he won matches with intelligence, underhandedness (often very funny), and a little bit of luck (Goldberg spear?). That was way more entertaining than the ultra-predictable streak Cena has been on. Make him an underdog. Not the top dog.
Cena was an underdog champion, and people complained. Hell, Mysterio was the underdog champion, and it was possibly the worst title reign ever. No, it makes more sense for Cena to be a top dog champion, and let everyone take him down, and still have him be the king of the mountain.

Look Cena is a joke- very few WRESTLING fans like him, people who fall for the WWE marketing who generally take wrestling to be 'real', or like him because of the stupidly annoying gimmick, hell maybe some people like him becaus ehe never appears to lose. Cena is a piece of trash but what is more worrying is that Cena is not a one off- Khali, Umaga, Batista, Lashley these guys are infecting the main event spots in WWE i mean these are the most talenetless guys, the most boring guys, the most annoying to watch guys on the rosters yet theyare pushed above others- i mean it just seems totaly irrational to anyone with half a brain!

I can assure you I have more than half a brain, and I am a wrestling fan, and none of that other stuff you mentioned applies to me. Why make blanket generalizations, instead of trying to explain what makes him a better wrestler? And, if you say something about his moveset, I'll probably vomit.

So, explain to me, what makes John Cena a bad wrestler. I've explained numerous times why he's a good one. Tell me why he's a bad one.

Keep in mind, you've limited this conversation to "wrestling" so you may only discuss his in-ring abilities. Gimmick, promos, and length of championship reign cannot be used as justification for your claim, because you've eliminated them as reasons for why "real" wrestling fans like him.

It was the Wrestlemania revenge or rewind or something like that. Remember, that very night HBK was scheduled to have a match with JBL as well. JBL "got out of it", but it was scheduled.
From what Wrestlemania? JBL wasn't cleared medically, if I remember correctly. Regardless of what is was supposed to be...it was still ******ed. It devalued the U.S. Title (which Benoit shouldn't have even been holding) and also pretty much did away with any of the credibility they had in Benoit winning one of the greatest matches in Wrestlemania history...for the title, no less.
Haha...Khali wasn't "promptly" fed to Cena. It was 8 months minimum before Khali and Cena had any interaction.
Excuse me for the slip of the tongue...keyboard...whatever. Yes, and those eight months was spent feeding other people I feel are more talented to Cena...to Cena. Still, the time it took for them to do something doesn't negate the stupidity of that thing. Cena/Khali is just the cherry on top. They took crap (Cena) combined him with crap (Khali) and got...yep...crap.
Cena was an underdog champion, and people complained. Hell, Mysterio was the underdog champion, and it was possibly the worst title reign ever. No, it makes more sense for Cena to be a top dog champion, and let everyone take him down, and still have him be the king of the mountain.
What kind of underdog do you mean? Getting clean wins over everyone else in the top spots that are obviously more talented then he'll ever be (Edge and HHH specifically)? No, it makes more sense to me to have Cena either being a clever underdog who finds a way to win through some other means that aren't completely predictable, or if I were in charge of the whole show, have the belt removed from him completely. If Cena's current shtick was working to perfection, then he'd be revered, wouldn't he? Since his crowd reactions are almost always a mixed bag (sometimes leaning in the heat category) the current scheme is a lemon. As for Rey, they had zero plans for him after Mania that resembled any real intelligent scheming whatsoever. They thought as far as Wrestlemania and getting him pushed and just forgot to find out what the hell to do afterwards.

as a reply to what capt charisma said i think you are right about those guys taking up the spot light but when you say that bobby lashley is untalented the man got a silver medel in some us army wrestling thing

I can assure you I have more than half a brain, and I am a wrestling fan, and none of that other stuff you mentioned applies to me. Why make blanket generalizations, instead of trying to explain what makes him a better wrestler? And, if you say something about his moveset, I'll probably vomit.

So, explain to me, what makes John Cena a bad wrestler. I've explained numerous times why he's a good one. Tell me why he's a bad one.

Keep in mind, you've limited this conversation to "wrestling" so you may only discuss his in-ring abilities. Gimmick, promos, and length of championship reign cannot be used as justification for your claim, because you've eliminated them as reasons for why "real" wrestling fans like him.

I can't believe you actually just said that! So we're talking just IN RING skills correct? No gimmicks, promos, or popularity?

Cena is garbage in the ring, absolutely garbage. He's got maybe 1/10th of the grace, moves and excitement of EVERY OTHER MAIN EVENT STAR IN THE WWE FROM 1993-2005. His moves are repitive, simple to do(I can pull off every one of his moves)boring to watch, and his matches and main events are on par with the same quality of 1999 era Sunday Night Heats. He's just terrible in the ring and I don't understand how you can even attempt to deny that. Cena, when it comes to in ring skills, is midcard AT BEST.

First off, I'll take Umaga over Rikishi any day. And, the storyline was stupid. It was one of the reasons I went back to watching WCW, which should tell you how bad it was. Which is just my point, that even the beloved Attitude era had its bad moments.

This seems to contradict everything you've ever said in defense of duds like Cena. Why was it bad? Because you didn't enjoy it? The millions of other fans seemed to enjoy it and love it---it is without a doubt one of the most memorable and expertly executed storylines in wrestling history. So what if Rikishi wasn't top notch in the ring? The only main event matches he ever had to be in were brawl-street fight type ordeals or Hell in a Cell---hardly matches that require a good in ring wrestler. I thought your defense of Cena was that he's good because a majority of people like him? Well, a majority liked that storyline as well.

I just don't see how that isn't a double standard.

From what Wrestlemania? JBL wasn't cleared medically, if I remember correctly. Regardless of what is was supposed to be...it was still ******ed. It devalued the U.S. Title (which Benoit shouldn't have even been holding) and also pretty much did away with any of the credibility they had in Benoit winning one of the greatest matches in Wrestlemania history...for the title, no less.
John Cena vs. JBL at Wrestlemania 21 and HBK/HHH/Benoit from Wrestlemania 20. It was where Cena met an old opponent of HBK and HBK met an old opponent of Cena's. Clearly, JBL was never going to compete, but it wasn't just some random decision to have Benoit job to Cena. It was announced the week before, and both men were to have matches. And, how did it devalue the U.S. Title? How does getting beat by the number one guy, on the number one show devalue the number two title on the number two show? That makes no sense.

Excuse me for the slip of the tongue...keyboard...whatever. Yes, and those eight months was spent feeding other people I feel are more talented to Cena...to Cena. Still, the time it took for them to do something doesn't negate the stupidity of that thing. Cena/Khali is just the cherry on top. They took crap (Cena) combined him with crap (Khali) and got...yep...crap.
Umm, why else do you think they were building Khali up? To feud with Super Crazy? The guys that Khali generally feuded were older established veterans who would not lose any heat from a loss to Khali. Undertaker, Dreamer, Kane...none of those guys were going to be held in any less esteem after a program with Khali. He wasn't burying new and upcoming talent, he was being put over by established talent...for the sole purpose of making Cena look better.

What kind of underdog do you mean? Getting clean wins over everyone else in the top spots that are obviously more talented then he'll ever be (Edge and HHH specifically)?
How was his win against HHH NOT an underdog style of win? He was buried as a wrestler on Raw by HHH (which was ridiculous), the whole storyline going in to Mania was that Cena was an unpolished brawler while HHH was the experienced vet. The opening of the Mania match saw HHH "outwrestling" Cena. The whole program was an underdog story for Cena.

Cena is garbage in the ring, absolutely garbage. He's got maybe 1/10th of the grace, moves and excitement of EVERY OTHER MAIN EVENT STAR IN THE WWE FROM 1993-2005. His moves are repitive, simple to do(I can pull off every one of his moves)boring to watch, and his matches and main events are on par with the same quality of 1999 era Sunday Night Heats. He's just terrible in the ring and I don't understand how you can even attempt to deny that. Cena, when it comes to in ring skills, is midcard AT BEST.
Let's see...your argument that Cena isn't a good wrestler....moves and athleticism. I'm sorry, but you're going to have to try harder than that, because neither of those matter when talking about good wrestlers. And, of course you can pull off any of his moves....you can probably pull off any of the moves that any wrestler makes...their not hard, as long as your strong enough. You can pull off any move that Benoit uses probably. It's not about what moves he uses, it's HOW he uses them. And, he uses them wonderfully, within a logical story of the match. All of his moves work towards his two finishers. The guy can sell well, and can carry the offensive portion of the match. He can play the heel or he can play the face. His moves, for the most part, are crisp and believable. His spots in the match are almost ALWAYS natural, and not forced. You are never aware of how he is positioning himself to the next spot. His matches are almost ALWAYS hot, and the finishes receive good heat. He has a natural in-ring charisma, which always draws fans into the match. He has put on classic matches with Jericho, Angle, HHH, RVD, Edge, Umaga, and HBK.

I don't understand how you can say that Cena is a bad wrestler.

Maybe it's because everything you just said is complete and utter HORSESHIT.

Exuse me, but if Cena's matches with all of those names you've listed are "classics", then every Sunday Night Heat from 1999 were supercards chock full of Grade A classics.

Cena is a good seller? Are you kidding me? He's TERRIBLE at selling. First of all theres the Wrestlemania incident---and I know you'll say "Oh it was one time", but it's not like it was some RAW match---THIS WAS THE MAIN EVENT OF FREAKIN' WRESTLEMANIA. I'm sorry, but if you make a selling error of that degree in the biggest atmosphere imaginable, you are a piss poor seller.

I would get into the rest, but unfortunately I've got to stop a fire in my freakin' kitchen---seriously. I'll return soon with the rest of my post.

^I must agree with xfear on that one. How can you NOT sell a leg injury that someone wasted 10 minutes of the match on?That's just bullshit. If anything, it shows how Cena cracks under pressure.

I wouldn't mind cena so much if he where a midcarder cause well thats pretty much where a sensible booker would put him. Fans hate him because he obviously can't wrestle to a main event degree, hell il give the guy his due, his promos are pretty funny sometimes but they are so repetitive , the only reason cena is in the position hes in is because vince mcmahon likes him , and seeing as how this is the same man that made himself ecw champion, made us endure guys like cena, lashley and batista , stop he pushes of guys like CM punk and wastes at least 10 minutes of every raw talking absolute shit...i think its pretty obvious cena doesnt deserve to be there.

Cena is a good seller? Are you kidding me? He's TERRIBLE at selling. First of all theres the Wrestlemania incident---and I know you'll say "Oh it was one time", but it's not like it was some RAW match---THIS WAS THE MAIN EVENT OF FREAKIN' WRESTLEMANIA. I'm sorry, but if you make a selling error of that degree in the biggest atmosphere imaginable, you are a piss poor seller.

I would get into the rest, but unfortunately I've got to stop a fire in my freakin' kitchen---seriously. I'll return soon with the rest of my post.
Well, I watched the Wrestlemania match yesterday for the first time, and I have to say that everyone who complains about his no-selling of the leg is being petty. What you SHOULD be complaining about is his OVERSELLING of the leg injury. I mean, HBK slapped him on the knee and he started limping around like he just blew out his ACL. His overselling was much worse than his no selling if you ask me. With that in mind, considering how little was really done to his knee, his selling after he makes his first comeback really isn't that bad. He shakes it out a few times after. He limps a little bit immediately after. Right before he goes for the 5 Knuckle Shuffle, he shakes his leg out. If he didn't oversell the leg injury so damn bad, his selling after would be fine. So, if you want to criticize him, criticize him for overselling.

And, this notion that because he didn't sell on time at Wrestlemania is ridiculous. That'd be like me saying that he's a great seller because he sold his back injury well against Benoit. One instance of selling/no-selling does not make him good or bad at it.

By the way, how'd the fire control go?

^I must agree with xfear on that one. How can you NOT sell a leg injury that someone wasted 10 minutes of the match on?That's just bullshit. If anything, it shows how Cena cracks under pressure.

Let's use a basketball example, because, well, I love basketball. Using this theory, Kirk Heinrich was a bad basketball player because he missed the game-winning shot against Syracuse to win the National Championship. Now, while I would love to believe this personally (because I'm a Mizzou fan, and I hate Kansas Jayhawks with every fiber of my being), it simply isn't true. As much as I hated the guy, Kirk Heinrich was a fabulous college basketball player.

Just like one mistake at Wrestlemania, doesn't make Cena a bad worker.

Well, I watched the Wrestlemania match yesterday for the first time, and I have to say that everyone who complains about his no-selling of the leg is being petty. What you SHOULD be complaining about is his OVERSELLING of the leg injury. I mean, HBK slapped him on the knee and he started limping around like he just blew out his ACL. His overselling was much worse than his no selling if you ask me. With that in mind, considering how little was really done to his knee, his selling after he makes his first comeback really isn't that bad. He shakes it out a few times after. He limps a little bit immediately after. Right before he goes for the 5 Knuckle Shuffle, he shakes his leg out. If he didn't oversell the leg injury so damn bad, his selling after would be fine. So, if you want to criticize him, criticize him for overselling.

And, this notion that because he didn't sell on time at Wrestlemania is ridiculous. That'd be like me saying that he's a great seller because he sold his back injury well against Benoit. One instance of selling/no-selling does not make him good or bad at it.

First of all excuse me, but if I remember correctly, everytime we talk about Cena's selling ability, the ONLY thing you can talk about his how he's a great seller and then describe why he's great by TALKING ABOUT HIS MATCH WITH BENOIT AND ABOUT HOW HE SOLD HIS BACK. Double standard again man.

But honestly...did you really watcht he match? OVERSELLING? Are you SHITTING me? HBK just tapped his leg is that it? No, he didn't spend minute after minute sitting there on the mat working on his leg, going back to it quite a few times after that. He didn't sell it ONE BIT. He did a quick limp, then suddenly within five seconds was running around like he was in tip top shape. How can you honestly sit there with a straight face and type that bullshit? No hostility meant man, but its fairly obvious to anyone who knows what selling is and has watched that match that Cena did one of the worst jobs at selling; EVER.

No matter what you say Slyfox, I would still bet my life's savings and without a doubt would win it twofold if I were to make the bet that after Cena is gone from wrestling, his legacy will be that of a guy who just got extremely lucky and didn't put on a single classic match. And there's nothing wrong with that---he's had good matches, yes, but classic? FUCK NO.

First of all excuse me, but if I remember correctly, everytime we talk about Cena's selling ability, the ONLY thing you can talk about his how he's a great seller and then describe why he's great by TALKING ABOUT HIS MATCH WITH BENOIT AND ABOUT HOW HE SOLD HIS BACK. Double standard again man.
It is merely the easiest and most recent example. I only mention it when people talk about his HBK match, because they were a week apart, and it's one extreme to the other. Hypocritical of me? Maybe so. But, even I admitted in my last post, that his one instance of selling with Benoit does not make him a great seller. I can point you to just about any other match to prove the same point. Hell, watch his match from Raw, and notice how realistic he takes his beating from Umaga.

But honestly...did you really watcht he match? OVERSELLING? Are you SHITTING me? HBK just tapped his leg is that it? No, he didn't spend minute after minute sitting there on the mat working on his leg, going back to it quite a few times after that. He didn't sell it ONE BIT. He did a quick limp, then suddenly within five seconds was running around like he was in tip top shape. How can you honestly sit there with a straight face and type that bullshit? No hostility meant man, but its fairly obvious to anyone who knows what selling is and has watched that match that Cena did one of the worst jobs at selling; EVER.
I watched the match just yesterday. I suggest you get out your Wrestlemania 23 DVD, and watch that match again. Watch and notice when the first time any significant damage is done to his leg. He is in the corner, HBK has one of his legs in his hand, and punches to his knee. There was no work on the knee before this, and HBK did nothing significant to warrant the intense pain Cena showed after this. Hell, look at Michaels...he's thinking "WTF!" just like I was. Which, is part of what makes me think he oversold the FU so bad on Raw a little later...but that's just pure speculation. But, watch it again. Watch the actual moment Cena goes into full selling mode for his knee. And see what caused it. I'm watching it as we type, and it seems like ridiculous overselling to me.

On a side note, did the HBK/Cena match not strike anyone else as two completely different matches, within the same match? It seemed to me that they layed out two different matches, and then switched about halfway through. Am I the only one who thought that?

No matter what you say Slyfox, I would still bet my life's savings and without a doubt would win it twofold if I were to make the bet that after Cena is gone from wrestling, his legacy will be that of a guy who just got extremely lucky and didn't put on a single classic match. And there's nothing wrong with that---he's had good matches, yes, but classic? FUCK NO.
But, I think you would probably say the same thing about Hulk Hogan, so what does that really prove?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back