[OFFICIAL] All things KB thread Special Guests: ST, Lariat, X, NSL and Becca

SO, I talked to a guy I work with. He used to put together the rings for NWA house shows in Kentucky and Tennessee. He had some stories. Some doosies, too.

How Blackjack Mulligan cold cocked a young Ric Flair in the middle of the ring, 15 seconds into the match, knocking Flair slick out. This was due to Flair slapping Mulligan backstage due to a dare that Dick Murdoch gave Flair to do.

And how Harley Race carried a young up and comer through his first match. Even taught him how to properly execute his dropkick. His name was Ricky Steamboat.

That second one contradicts what Steamboat has said. His first match was a tag match in Florida.

I asked him about that. But it was one of Steamboat's first single's matches. Which I would believe. And all first time wrestlers were in Tag Matches back in the day. He turned down being Ring Boss for the NWA in KY and TN when he was 18. I asked why? He shrugged.

You should review Unforgiven 2001 so I can find out why you like that Angle-Austin match better than the SummerSlam one (Which is my favorite Angle match ever).

That is all.

QUICKLY KB SIR! I need your help. Or rather, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the following:

Bret Hart vs. Diesel at Royal Rumble 1995. Rating?

I'm not KB, but I think you respect my opinion on wrestling, so I'll give you an answer and say it's a C- in my book, if not a D. It would perhaps be better if their match at Survivor Series 1995 wasn't so fucking fantastic.

That match at SS95 is an A+ in my book. It's hard not to compare the Royal Rumble match to it, and because of that the Rumble match ends up looking like shit.

Damn JMT, that's a vicious rating man, that mach is much better than that. I have it around a B+, that's a good match man.

I remember thinking KB underrated the SS95 match in his review. I was going to respond but then forgot to rewatch the match and think things out. Eventually I let it go. Still one of my favorite WWF and Bret matches.

Yeah, comparison doesn't do any good for the RR95 match.

Sure, but it's really not a bad match at all. The ending is hit-or-miss, but the RR95 match is quite good I think. It managed to get two faces over at the same time without having either man look weak or take the pin. Good match.

Which Bret Hart vs. Diesel match is on the Greatest Superstar of the 90's DVD?

I remember someone posted a Hart vs. Diesel match on the tournament earlier this year. Anyone remember from what ppv that one was from?

I was going to finish watching the 95 Rumble, but now the Patriots game is on. HBK will have to wait.

I still haven't finished the SNME dvd and I need to start watching the Starrcade one. At least I'll have a lot of time to watch them since Christmas break is in 2 weeks for me.

My rating/explanation from the RR95 review of Bret vs. Diesel

Rating: B-. I know I blasted the ending and a lot of this match, but that likely wasn’t fair. This really was a solid match for about 80% of it, but damn they did too much with this. If you want to have the ending the way you had it that’s fine, but why have the run ins earlier in the match like that? I just don’t get that part. I get not wanting to have either guy be made to look weak, but this was just too much overkill for my taste. That being said, when it was just Bret vs. Diesel, there was a of great stuff in there. The psychology was there, but Diesel, I can’t emphasize this enough: SELL THE KNEE NEXT TIME! I mean Bret worked the hell out of that thing and Diesel barely limped half the time. Anyway, this was solid enough, but the booking didn’t make a ton of sense in my eyes.

Yeah the shoddy selling by Diesel was the one complaint I had about it. I never minded the ending. It was stupid, but the WWF always had stupid endings like that back then, so I don't really mind it. It's weird too because Nash was selling the knee pretty well at first, and then suddenly it just disappeared.

Yeah that took me completely out of the match. Other than that I liked it though. That was about all of the show I did like though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back