NBA Thread - 2009-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was awesome to see man, I have no loyalty to either team, but that was a real feel good story right there.

Anyone been hearing about the Bosh for Bynum trade rumors. I think its a trade that really makes sense for both teams. I don't think that the Raptors could win using both Bosh and Bargnani and Bynum would be as fair a trade as they could get, plus hes already locked up long term. As a Lakers fan the benefits would be obvious, we'd go from having the best frontcourt in the NBA to, um the by far best backcourt in the NBA. Plus he could be a cornerstone to build around going forward as The Lakers are going to need someone to build around as Kobe dives into his golden years(y'know 35-40). Anyhow those rumors have died down in the past week, but the trade deadlines not for a few weeks and I think things are going to get busy.

I could see Orlando snatching Caron Butler and Cleveland landing Antawn Jamison in the fire sale of the year. Jeff Foster is supposed to be a Pau Gasol stopper all of a sudden and is apparently on Por and Den lists.

Speaking of Portland, I used to think the Magic were the deepest team in the league, but I'll be damned if Por doesn't just keep chugging out the (quality)wins even after the've lost both their big men and half the rest of their roster.

Speaking of the Magic, WTF, if they don't get things together I'll be truly embarrased for them. Also, if they hang on to Gortat solely because he's Dwight Howard insurance, I'll be extremely dissapointed. There is no such thing as Dwight Howard insurance, if he goes down The Magic go down, they aren't winning any championships without him so they might as well trade Gortat and get someone that can help them win it all for him.

That was awesome to see man, I have no loyalty to either team, but that was a real feel good story right there.

Anyone been hearing about the Bosh for Bynum trade rumors. I think its a trade that really makes sense for both teams. I don't think that the Raptors could win using both Bosh and Bargnani and Bynum would be as fair a trade as they could get, plus hes already locked up long term. As a Lakers fan the benefits would be obvious, we'd go from having the best frontcourt in the NBA to, um the by far best backcourt in the NBA. Plus he could be a cornerstone to build around going forward as The Lakers are going to need someone to build around as Kobe dives into his golden years(y'know 35-40). Anyhow those rumors have died down in the past week, but the trade deadlines not for a few weeks and I think things are going to get busy.

No as a Lakers fan I do not want to see this happen. Firstly, Bosh might not even resign with the Lakers next year if he gets traded to them, he might like the team but there could be a problem going behind Kobe and Pau on offence, or he might not like how big L.A is. Secondly) Bynum is younger and has more potential than Bosh, Bynum is still improving dramitically. he is also getting taught by Kareem Abul Jabbar, and now why would you get rid of a 22 year old getting taught by the highest total point scorer of all time, that has possible gone through all his major knee injuries for Bosh, who is very good but not great. Which Bynum can be great if given the time and support like he is now.

No as a Lakers fan I do not want to see this happen. Firstly, Bosh might not even resign with the Lakers next year if he gets traded to them, he might like the team but there could be a problem going behind Kobe and Pau on offence, or he might not like how big L.A is. Secondly) Bynum is younger and has more potential than Bosh, Bynum is still improving dramitically. he is also getting taught by Kareem Abul Jabbar, and now why would you get rid of a 22 year old getting taught by the highest total point scorer of all time, that has possible gone through all his major knee injuries for Bosh, who is very good but not great. Which Bynum can be great if given the time and support like he is now.

I agree to a degree with you. It would be a stupid trade on both teams parts. If Toronto trades Bosh for Bynum they are trading away their best player that they still have a chance to resign for a player that won't be as good in Toronto because Kareem won't be teaching him there. L.A would be losing a player they already have locked up for a player that may not be there next year. If they could get him re-signed and have Kareem train Bosh though they could have a bigger threat than Bynum as Bosh is a more versatile offensive player IMO. They would be losing Bynum's defense however and L.A has enough scoring already where I don't think they need Bosh. That's why trade rumors have gone down.

Some good news possible, for all you AI haters out there. He WAS named as a starter for the All Star game this year, despite not being as good as ... most of the league. But he is apparently sick and may miss the big game. I hope he doesn't play, because I really do not think he deserves the chance to be an All Star, just because he is popular.

The Toronto Raptors have been one of the best teams since December 17. They are finally coming together and playing some great basketball especially offensively where they have scored over 100 points in, I believe, 17 straight games. The insertion of Jarrett Jack into the starting lineup has had a great effect on the team, Chris Bosh is a double-double machine and a force this season, Bargnani is also tearing it up, and the bench has been awesome in bringing some offence and some energy. The Raptors are also expected to welcome Reggie Evans to the lineup for the first time on Wednesday to face his old team, the 76ers. He's been out all season, but hopefully he can bring some toughness and defence to a team that could use the help in those categories. Making the playoffs looks more likely everyday and maybe they can make a run.

Some good news possible, for all you AI haters out there. He WAS named as a starter for the All Star game this year, despite not being as good as ... most of the league. But he is apparently sick and may miss the big game. I hope he doesn't play, because I really do not think he deserves the chance to be an All Star, just because he is popular.

I personally feel the entire voting system is flawed, and like you said he made the all star team because he is popular and not exactly the best guard. However, the all star game at least in the NBA, is geared to what fans want and isn’t geared to the best players. The fact that the "majority" of fans voted for AI doesn’t that mean the majority of fans want to see him in the all star game? I do understand the flaw in complete fan voting is the same person can vote numerous times. I have trouble believing that the same person or group of people voted enough to get AI in despite the majority of fans not wanting him there.

With the current system the NBA has created of fans voting who they want to see at the All Star game I have no problem seeing Iverson be there and start. If the NBA wanted the best players then no Iverson isn’t the best player at his position any more.

Danny Ainge is currently working on a trade that would re-pique my interest in the Celtics. If this trade goes through, the Celtics are going to be once again, the favorites to win it all. They would have a starting lineup that could compete with any starting lineup in basketball. They could have the best starting lineup as a whole, and without a doubt, the best bench.

The proposed trade would be:

To Washington:
Ray Allen
Brian Scalabrine
JR Giddens

To Boston:
Caron Butler
Antawn Jamison

Basically, the reason why the Wizards would commit to this deal is because of expiring contracts. They'd be able to rebuild with money coming off of the books. The reason the Celtics do this is because they need a big time shakeup. Every aspect of this team would be improved.

Here's your starting lineup that would without a doubt beat any starting lineup you could throw out there:

PG Rajon Rondo
SG Paul Pierce
SF Caron Butler
PF Antawn Jamson
C Kevin Garnett

Pierce and Butler are interchangeable. That's your starting five.

Here's your bench:

Kendrick Perkins
Rasheed Wallace
Eddie House
Marquis Daniels
Sheldon Williams
Bill Walker
Glen Davis

At that point, Davis is expendable and can be traded for DJ Augustin, like it's been rumored, giving the Celtics a very good backup point guard.

This deal, if it happens, it re-establishes the Celtics as the best team in the NBA, and it absolutely needs to happen.

Caron Butler has always been REALLY streaky, but I think he would fit well on a team like Boston. Think of James Posey during their Championship run a couple of years ago. If this trade happens and Butler comes in with the right mind-set of being a key role player, then he would be a very good acquisition.

Antawn Jamison, on the other hand, would be an absolutely PHENOMENAL acquisition, if (and this is one huge fucking I and F) he can stay healthy. When this guy is 100% and on that basketball court, in my opinion he's one of the most productive, consistent players in the entire league. Jamison literally has it all in his arsenal, and would cause countless amounts of match-up problems for Boston against ANY team in the NBA

So, yeah... if this is true, Boston needs to go through with it. I love Ray Allen, and I hate to see him go to such a shitty team, but at the end of the day... the NBA's a business and it would be in Boston's best interest to make this trade, for sure.

And that Celtics deal is now officially dead. The Mavericks and Wizards have submitted a trade to the league office that would send Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood, and DeShawn Stevenson to the Mavs for Josh Howard, Drew Gooden, and Quentin Ross.

Butler and Howard basically cancel each other out in this trade. Both are very talented but have kind of lost interest with their current teams and a change of scenery will help both guys. Dallas obviously gets the better of the deal talent wise overall, but all three guys that the Wizards got including Howard are in the last year of their deals. This opens up a lot of cap room for the Wizards after this season. For Dallas Haywood and Stevenson are in the last year of their contracts so this will most likely be a half season thing to help in the playoffs. Butler has one year left after this season so he will be able to contribute next year as well.

Edit: James Singleton is another expiring contract in the trade going from Dallas to Washington.

The Warriors really need a jolt.

This is going to be another year in which they will be in the lottery.

They have fallen hard from the We Believe Warriors playoff run in 2007.

The front office needs to be overhauled, and Don Nelson needs to be fired.

The Cleveland Cavaliers have reached agreement on a six-player, three-team trade that lands them former All-Star forward Antawn Jamison.

The Cavaliers are sending center Zydrunas Ilgauskas, a first-round pick. The Wizards also will receive Brian Skinner and Al Thornton from the Los Angeles Clippers. The Cavaliers will get point guard Sebastian Telfair from the Clippers. The Wizards will send Drew Gooden to the Clippers.

This leaves the Cavs with a starting line-up of
C- Shaq
PF- Jamison
SF- Lebron
SG- Parker
PG- Mo

have the likes of Delonte West, Daniel Gibson, Andy V, J.J. Hickson, Telfair, and Leon Powe coming off the bench. Not to mention the Wizards will probably buy out Z's contract allowing him to resign with the Cavs after thirty days. I think the Cavs have set themselves up very well to win the championship this year and keep lebron going forward. They wont be able to sign a top tier Free Agent in the off season but they can still sign a good SG and resign lebron making there team that much better. This is a great trade for the Cavs and i couldnt be more excited for the second half of the season.

The Cleveland Cavaliers have reached agreement on a six-player, three-team trade that lands them former All-Star forward Antawn Jamison.

The Cavaliers are sending center Zydrunas Ilgauskas, a first-round pick. The Wizards also will receive Brian Skinner and Al Thornton from the Los Angeles Clippers. The Cavaliers will get point guard Sebastian Telfair from the Clippers. The Wizards will send Drew Gooden to the Clippers.

This leaves the Cavs with a starting line-up of
C- Shaq
PF- Jamison
SF- Lebron
SG- Parker
PG- Mo

have the likes of Delonte West, Daniel Gibson, Andy V, J.J. Hickson, Telfair, and Leon Powe coming off the bench. Not to mention the Wizards will probably buy out Z's contract allowing him to resign with the Cavs after thirty days. I think the Cavs have set themselves up very well to win the championship this year and keep lebron going forward. They wont be able to sign a top tier Free Agent in the off season but they can still sign a good SG and resign lebron making there team that much better. This is a great trade for the Cavs and i couldnt be more excited for the second half of the season.

I'm sorry but that will not keep Lebron. You are banking on them winning the title this year and that's not going to happen. My Lakers will repeat. Its a nice trade but A.J isn't a superstar. He's a decent player who will contribute but I don't think he can make that much of a difference.

Listen Shaq is gone after this year. That's really the only other superstar on this team. And if we have learned anything is that you need more than one superstar to win a title. Shaq is a shell of himself and will show that in the playoffs. If the don't win the title and Lebron has an opportunity to win a title playing with another superstar like Bosh or Wade, he will be gone.

Besides no one is beating thee Lakers this year. Kobeis much more hungry for a title then Lebron. He feeds off being the best ever and quite frankly I put him up there and if he wins another I'm putting him at the top. Lakers have a lot of talent which is why they don't need to make a trade and risk messing up their chemistry.

I'm sorry but that will not keep Lebron. You are banking on them winning the title this year and that's not going to happen. My Lakers will repeat. Its a nice trade but A.J isn't a superstar. He's a decent player who will contribute but I don't think he can make that much of a difference.

Even without this trade I doubt LeBron was going to leave Cleveland. And as far as Antawn Jamison goes he may not be a superstar but he is a lot more then just a decent player. This is a guy who has averaged 20 points and 8 boards per game for his career. He has a great shot that extends to three point range, he has a solid post game, and he isn't a bad defender considering he is an undersized power forward.

Listen Shaq is gone after this year. That's really the only other superstar on this team. And if we have learned anything is that you need more than one superstar to win a title. Shaq is a shell of himself and will show that in the playoffs. If the don't win the title and Lebron has an opportunity to win a title playing with another superstar like Bosh or Wade, he will be gone.

LeBron isn't going anywhere. All of these dream scenarios of him going to play somewhere with Wade or Bosh, while possible, are highly unlikely. The teams that will have the most cap room are going to be teams like the Knicks and Nets. I don't care how many friends LeBron has in NY, there is no way he is going to either of those shitty teams.

Besides no one is beating thee Lakers this year. Kobeis much more hungry for a title then Lebron. He feeds off being the best ever and quite frankly I put him up there and if he wins another I'm putting him at the top. Lakers have a lot of talent which is why they don't need to make a trade and risk messing up their chemistry.

The Lakers are still the favorites but this trade puts Cleveland in a much better position to compete with them. An argument could easily be made that Antawn Jamison is the best player on either team outside of Kobe and LeBron.

In other news a fairly big trade went down today at the deadline between Houston, NY, and Sacramento. The three teams get the following

Houston- Kevin Martin, Jordan Hill, Jared Jeffries, Hilton Armstrong, a 2012 top 5 protected first round pick, and the right to swap 2011 first round picks

Sacramento- Carl Landry, Larry Hughes, and Joey Dorsey

NY- Tracy McGrady and Sergio Rodriguez

Houston obviously gets the best of this trade. McGrady is basically finished and is now being replaced with a young SG in Kevin Martin who can give close to 25 points per game. They do lose Landry which will hurt their talent inside, but if Hilton Armstrong or the rookie Jordan Hill can step up and just play solid ball then they will be ok. The first round pick from the Knicks in 2012 is also a nice acquisition.

Sacramento needed to make this trade because Tyreke Evans and Kevin Martin can't coexist in the back court, but they could have gotten more then what they did. Carl Landry is a very underrated power forward, but he isn't equal value for Martin.

The Knicks basically got an attraction for the rest of this year with McGrady and they cleared up about 9 million dollars in cap space for the off season.

Great, great trade for Cleveland. As I mentioned earlier, Antwan Jamison is, in my opinion, one of the most consistent players in the NBA. The guy has it all in his arsenal, and with someone like LeBron James stealing all the attention... Jamison should get a lot of open looks for Cleveland, and trust me... he will nail them. Fantastic move by Cleveland, and I think this makes them currently the best team in the East, no doubt.

However, I thought Eddie House for Nate Robinson was an absolutely AWFUL trade, for both teams. Eddie is a fan favorite in Boston, and a great, great scorer off the bench. He helped Boston win a a lot of games. Nate Robinson, on the other hand, while he's better at getting to the hoop than House is, I don't think he's as consistent behind the three point line, which is where he'll get most of his looks from. And from New York's perspective... Eddie is best on a GOOD team where he's strictly a role player, and Robinson is best on a BAD team where he's the focal point... so why make this trade? Makes no sense from either spectrum if you ask me.

And I also hated the Sacramento trade. Unless Sac-town is sure they're going to get some awesome point guard during the off-season, it made no sense whatsoever to get rid of Martin and make Evans the focal 2-Guard. I would have instead developed Evans, and keep Martin there to do what he does, which is score the basketball. Terrible move, unless they're able to get a GREAT point guard during the off-season.

I feel sorry for Knicks fans. Suppose Big Sexy is right and Lebron stays there. Isn't that who they were clearing up all that space for? So you have to go through a terrible season then if you don't Lebron or say Dwayne Wade what was all that for? That must suck.

Those were some big trades made and I think the Rockets got the best of it. I believe Kevin Martin is a fantastic young player who will become a superstar soon. And in Houston you need that, with Yao always injured. And Houston was doing ok without Tracy and now add Martin? This is a team that will be very good in the near future.

I will address this again. How can playing with another young superstar not be enticing for to want to move? If the Cavs don't win it this year what more can they do? Who else could they get to make Lebron happy and confident that they could win it in the future? Yes they made a trade for a nice player, but how does he match up against Odom if/when they play the Lakers? I still give Odom the edge and the Lakers the edge. So if he doesn't win one now, what reason is there to stay? The Knicks/Nets may suck now, but you add Lebron and Wade/Bosh and some other pieces you can't say they will still suck.

I feel sorry for Knicks fans. Suppose Big Sexy is right and Lebron stays there. Isn't that who they were clearing up all that space for? So you have to go through a terrible season then if you don't Lebron or say Dwayne Wade what was all that for? That must suck.

The Knicks were clearing up cap space to get a big name free agent, it didn't necessarily have to be LeBron. You've got guys like Joe Johnson, Dirk, D Wade, Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer, Rudy Gay, and Amare Stoudamire who could also be free agents. I'm sure they will be happy getting any one of those guys.

I will address this again. How can playing with another young superstar not be enticing for to want to move? If the Cavs don't win it this year what more can they do?

Sure it will be enticing, but the chances of a team being able to pull it off are slim to none. Not every team will have enough cap room to get 2 superstars and the ones that do will have a lot of trouble trying to get two superstars to come. The only place that D Wade would probably go to is Chicago and they aren't going to have enough money to get two superstars. LeBron will find it very hard to leave his hometown. A team might be able to get a tandem of Joe Johnson or Rudy Gay and Carlos Boozer, but the chances of some team getting Bosh and Wade or LeBron and Wade just aren't high at all.

Yes they made a trade for a nice player, but how does he match up against Odom if/when they play the Lakers? I still give Odom the edge and the Lakers the edge.

There is no way Lamar Odom is better then Antawn Jamison and that isn't a knock against Odom at all. Like a said before an argument can be made that Jamison is the best player on either team outside of Kobe and LeBron.

The Knicks were clearing up cap space to get a big name free agent, it didn't necessarily have to be LeBron. You've got guys like Joe Johnson, Dirk, D Wade, Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer, Rudy Gay, and Amare Stoudamire who could also be free agents. I'm sure they will be happy getting any one of those guys.

Your right in that there are other superstars that could be had but really would any of them outside of Lebron and Wade really excite the fans there? And yes they were clearing up space but its obviouus that anyone other than those two are backup plans and really aren't the main guys you cleared up space for.

Sure it will be enticing, but the chances of a team being able to pull it off are slim to none. Not every team will have enough cap room to get 2 superstars and the ones that do will have a lot of trouble trying to get two superstars to come. The only place that D Wade would probably go to is Chicago and they aren't going to have enough money to get two superstars. LeBron will find it very hard to leave his hometown. A team might be able to get a tandem of Joe Johnson or Rudy Gay and Carlos Boozer, but the chances of some team getting Bosh and Wade or LeBron and Wade just aren't high at all.

I would agree that it would be very difficult to get two superstars. But it all depends on how bad Lebron wants a ring. Again say they don't win it this year. Maybe Lebron goes to another team like the Knicks and that second superstar like Bosh won't go for a max contract because of the opportuity to play with Lebron, win a title, and get out of Toronto. I agree its going to be hard but not impossible.

There is no way Lamar Odom is better then Antawn Jamison and that isn't a knock against Odom at all. Like a said before an argument can be made that Jamison is the best player on either team outside of Kobe and LeBron.

Really? Better than Gasol? I don't agree with at all. Odom is long and could what Jamison does. Ill give you that Odom has his times when he's just not there, but when he is its hard to beat him.

Your right in that there are other superstars that could be had but really would any of them outside of Lebron and Wade really excite the fans there? And yes they were clearing up space but its obviouus that anyone other than those two are backup plans and really aren't the main guys you cleared up space for.

No one's disagreeing there. Obviously when you clear up space you want the best player you can get.

I would agree that it would be very difficult to get two superstars. But it all depends on how bad Lebron wants a ring. Again say they don't win it this year. Maybe Lebron goes to another team like the Knicks and that second superstar like Bosh won't go for a max contract because of the opportuity to play with Lebron, win a title, and get out of Toronto. I agree its going to be hard but not impossible.

I never said it was impossible, just highly improbable.
Really? Better than Gasol? I don't agree with at all. Odom is long and could what Jamison does. Ill give you that Odom has his times when he's just not there, but when he is its hard to beat him.

Yes, I believe Jamison is better then Gasol. Jamison has averaged 20 points and 8 boards per game for his career. On offense Gasol has a better post game but Jamison has a much better face up game and jumper. Defensively Gasol has a slight edge but Jamison is no slouch on the defensive end.

I kind of wish the Heat would've pulled the trigger, and acquired Amare Stoudemire. Then again, I was hearing that Phoenix wanted Michael Beasley, and with all the speculation of Dwayne Wade leaving the team this off season, It wouldn't be wise to get rid of one your future guys. I don't think Beasley will ever be the type of guy who carry a team on his back, but again, he's really the only guy the Heat have that can be considered a "go to guy" if Wade leaves, which I think he will. I also wonder if the Heat could've gotten something for Jermaine O'neal. I really can't stand him, and I think it's time for him to go.

I kind of wish the Heat would've pulled the trigger, and acquired Amare Stoudemire. Then again, I was hearing that Phoenix wanted Michael Beasley, and with all the speculation of Dwayne Wade leaving the team this off season, It wouldn't be wise to get rid of one your future guys. I don't think Beasley will ever be the type of guy who carry a team on his back, but again, he's really the only guy the Heat have that can be considered a "go to guy" if Wade leaves, which I think he will. I also wonder if the Heat could've gotten something for Jermaine O'neal. I really can't stand him, and I think it's time for him to go.

I dont think Wade is going anywhere, he all ready not in so many words saying he was gonna test the market but more then likely he will be in Miami next year. Also I agree with you I would not give up Beasley and from what I have heard Miami is where Amare wants to play so they could be scary next year if everything lines up.

Has anyone seen how bad the Celtics have been lately? They started out like 23-5 but have since hinted that Age is kicking in.

Kevin Garnett's knees arent getting any better, Paul Pierce's body has not been able to stay healthy, Ray Allen is just old.... And the fact that people still think they have a "Big 3".

Rajon Rondo is their best player at this point, Hes been a great leader and works the hardest every night to win a game while KG and Sheed just look bored.

And dont get me started on Rasheed, He predicted that the team would win 72 games this year. And yet he's the one who doesnt seem to give a damn about the regular season and just wants a title and paycheck.

Ray Allen is shooting less than 33 percent from 3's this year. His game is all based around pure shooting and without that, hes almost useless and is a liability on Defense.

Has anyone seen how bad the Celtics have been lately? They started out like 23-5 but have since hinted that Age is kicking in.

Yes I have noticed. I even created a thread about how old they are getting.

Rajon Rondo is their best player at this point, Hes been a great leader and works the hardest every night to win a game while KG and Sheed just look bored.

No offense to Rondo because he's good, but when he's your best player then you're in trouble.

And dont get me started on Rasheed, He predicted that the team would win 72 games this year. And yet he's the one who doesnt seem to give a damn about the regular season and just wants a title and paycheck.

Everyone was on Sheed's jock at the beginning of the season and I told everyone then that he would be doing this. Lately he has been better but still no where near what he is capable of.

Ray Allen is shooting less than 33 percent from 3's this year. His game is all based around pure shooting and without that, hes almost useless and is a liability on Defense.

I hate to say it but at this point Ray Allen is nothing more then a role player. The Celtics are no longer an elite team and I will be surprised if they make it out of the second round of the playoffs.

I meant to post something about this about a week or so ago, but I forgot. I watched a few Mavs games, one against the Hawks and one agianst the Hornets. I have to say, after the trade they made, they definetly have the potential to challenge the Lakers in the West.

They have a superstar in Dirk, a smart, veteran leader in Kidd, a solid secondary scorer in Butler, good big man play from Haywood, size and defense from Marion, and scoring and energy off the bench from Terry and Barea.

They've won something like 10 in a row and seem to be coming together at the right time. Definetly one of the top teams in the league now. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they made it to the finals and possibly even won it all.

Well nice to see Kobe back to making the game winning shot. But I have to admit the play of the Lakers is terrible right now. They need to step up there game, especially with 11 of their 17 games left on the road. I think they can turn it on but I still don't like their play. The West is once again stronger than the East and these teams can take L.A to the tip. So they need to bring their game up.

Probably the last time I have talked NBA, Toronto was one of the hottest teams. After another loss tonight, they only have 3 wins in the last 10, and are down two in a row. With Charlotte rising in the rankings, the Raptors need to pick it up here. They even lost to the Sixers, for shame.

They play the Kings tonight, in a game they should win. Kings are pretty bad right now, and if Toronto wants to stay above the 500 level, the line that pretty much assures your spot in the Eastern playoffs, they need to keep it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back